PDA

View Full Version : Brodrick Bunkley will visit the Saints.

Magnificent Seven
03-17-2012, 02:16 PM
CBS Sports is reporting Denver defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley will visit the Saints. The Broncos want Bunkley bad. Losing him would hurt Denver because it needs another defensive tackle as well. I would be surprised if Denver doesn’t make a competitive offer to retain Bunkley.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41492/afc-west-notes-66

camdisco24
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
We HAVE to keep him. If we let him get away I will seriously question what they are thinking in the FO. Yeah PM stuff is exciting, but we have other needs we should be taking care of.

Magnificent Seven
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Broncos DT Bunkley visiting Saints on Sunday

by Larry Holder, CBSSports.com

Broncos free agent DT Brodrick Bunkley is scheduled to visit the Saints on Sunday, according to a source familiar with the situation. Bunkley started 13 games in Denver last season, compiling 43 total tackles. The Saints have a hole at the starting DT slot next to Sedrick Ellis with Aubrayo Franklin and Shaun Rogers being unrestricted free agents.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/DEN

Shazam!
03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh no.

Cugel
03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Bunkley is letting everybody know that he's not going to come cheap. Last season was to prove himself after being released as a bust by the Eagles who drafted him. He feels that he proved himself and now wants to cash in.

Either the Broncos are going to have to pay him top dollar, or else he'll sign elsewhere. But, this is his big pay-day and he's not going to sign a sweet-heart deal just to stay in Denver.

Cugel
03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Oh no.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are going to lose him, but it does mean that they are going to have to pay through the nose if they want to keep him.

Shazam!
03-17-2012, 02:33 PM
I know Cug. I just dont like the way this offseason has gone. Besides the Courtship of Manning, it seems Denver is not doing well in signing players and letting theirs go (Royal). Bunk is someone they shouldve worked hard to retain.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Bunkley is letting everybody know that he's not going to come cheap. Last season was to prove himself after being released as a bust by the Eagles who drafted him. He feels that he proved himself and now wants to cash in.

Either the Broncos are going to have to pay him top dollar, or else he'll sign elsewhere. But, this is his big pay-day and he's not going to sign a sweet-heart deal just to stay in Denver.

We already know his market value is 6 mil.... same as Soliai... this will determine how much higher it goes...

Dapper Dan
03-17-2012, 02:58 PM
I hope he doesn't want too much money. I'm sure he probably will. You'll have to pay a $5 million man $7 million just to keep him.

DenBronx
03-17-2012, 03:39 PM
I think he will get a simular contract to Soliai....Broncos just need to man up and pay him. It's an area we can't be cheap....pay him and move to other needs.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-17-2012, 03:50 PM
I think he will get a simular contract to Soliai....Broncos just need to man up and pay him. It's an area we can't be cheap....pay him and move to other needs.

The variable is how much more than 90-100 mil will it take to get Peyton thanks to Bud. The issue is not paying Bunk, it's how you structure it if you need it to be cap friendly and they don't know the answer yet.

I'd agree they'd need to go ahead and do it if he gets an offer as the Broncos could not guarantee they'd have a Super Bowl capable defense if we lose him.

dogfish
03-17-2012, 03:57 PM
It doesn't necessarily mean they are going to lose him, but it does mean that they are going to have to pay through the nose if they want to keep him.

which suggests that we'll probably lose him. . . paying isn't something this FO is very fond of. . .

very frustrating-- we've been negotiating with the guy for days with no deal, you knew someone else was going to step in pretty soon. . . now, the best that can happen is they can drive the price up further than it's already gone. . .

SpringsBroncoFan
03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
which suggests that we'll probably lose him. . . paying isn't something this FO is very fond of. . .

very frustrating-- we've been negotiating with the guy for days with no deal, you knew someone else was going to step in pretty soon. . . now, the best that can happen is they can drive the price up further than it's already gone. . .

Yeah, once he's in their building it's a problem... you lose control. They could just keep him there like Buffalo did with Mario and you're outside looking in...

dogfish
03-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah, once he's in their building it's a problem... you lose control. They could just keep him there like Buffalo did with Mario and you're outside looking in...

i wouldn't care so much if he wasn't the only competent nosetackle left on the market. . . with an unproven middle linebacker and a very average pair of safeties at best, i'm afraid our run defense will be softer than butter right up the gut. . .

unfortunately, i have zero confidence in our front office to retain a player once another team gets involved. . .

DenBronx
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Well If you have Manning your defense needs to be build for pass rush like it was in Indy.

Maybe Bunk isnt fitting what they want? Maybe smaller speed guys??? Not sure......but I dont see how keeping Bunk wouldnt fit in any scheme.

CoachChaz
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM

i wouldn't care so much if he wasn't the only competent nosetackle left on the market. . . with an unproven middle linebacker and a very average pair of safeties at best, i'm afraid our run defense will be softer than butter right up the gut. . .

unfortunately, i have zero confidence in our front office to retain a player once another team gets involved. . .

Jones, Franklin, Garay...

dogfish
03-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Well If you have Manning your defense needs to be build for pass rush like it was in Indy.

Maybe Bunk isnt fitting what they want? Maybe smaller speed guys??? Not sure......but I dont see how keeping Bunk wouldnt fit in any scheme.

well, jason jones was the only real quality three-tech on the market, and he just got signed also. . .

scheme fit isn't the issue-- if bunk wasn't the type of DT we want, we wouldn't have been negotiating with him for four days. . . i'm pretty sure you can assume that money is the problem. . .

dogfish
03-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Jones, Franklin, Garay...

jones is gone. . . i've read that franklin fell off big time last year, so not sure he's much of an answer at age 32. . .

garay? yea, guess i forgot about him. . .

BroncoAV06
03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Good thing Manning is going to play DT, S, and catch his own passes right?

Mike
03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
It's ok...we don't really need ________________, we'll draft someone better and there is always FA.

Dzone
03-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Bunkley is as good as gone. The only thing this franchise seems concerned about is Peyton Manning

dogfish
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM
It's ok...we don't really need ________________, we'll draft someone better and there is always FA.

we have like six draft picks, you know?

bcbronc
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Or BB had some ridiculous figure in his head and going to NO will help him realize we're offering a good deal. That said this is the first news of free agency that has me saying "shit!".

DenBronx
03-17-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm fairly certain we can fill the void of Bunkley by drafting a DT in the 7th. :rolleyes:

SpringsBroncoFan
03-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm fairly certain we can fill the void of Bunkley by drafting a DT in the 7th. :rolleyes:

Who's the guy North (I think) had in a pic that we needed to draft... white/green uni with a big belly... maybe we could get him? I'm sure we could get a big fatty in the 6th, no need to wait longer! :D

dogfish
03-17-2012, 08:40 PM
*scoffs*

you guys forget that ron fields is still out there, and there's absolutely no concern about overpaying him. . .

chazoe60
03-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Who needs DTs anyway. I'm fairly certain the Denver Broncos think DTs are "yucky" and are just trying to avoid a serious case of coodies.

Timmy!
03-17-2012, 09:34 PM
It's okay, we have Ty Warren.......err...if he can even get on the field..... :tsk:

SpringsBroncoFan
03-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Who needs DTs anyway. I'm fairly certain the Denver Broncos think DTs are "yucky" and are just trying to avoid a serious case of coodies.

:lol: On that note... just go full throttle on the Nascar defense... if the guy isn't a DE then don't draft or sign him!

LTC Pain
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
So, if we don't re-sign Thomas and Bunkley we start next season with Warren/Vickerson as starters and McBean/Unrein backing them up? Don't see any UFA DTs left to get excited about. And as much as I want to see EFX take one if not two DTs in the draft I'm not sure they will. We have DTs Jarmon and Siliga on Reserve/Futures contracts but dont know jack about either. We need to draft one DT for sure and I wouldn't be disappointed if the Broncos took two. And if we don't take any DTs in the draft or sign a UFA and the MLB position isn't solidifed then I will no longer take EFX seriously about stopping the run.

dogfish
03-18-2012, 10:53 AM
So, if we don't re-sign Thomas and Bunkley we start next season with Warren/Vickerson as starters and McBean/Unrein backing them up? Don't see any UFA DTs left to get excited about. And as much as I want to see EFX take one if not two DTs in the draft I'm not sure they will. We have DTs Jarmon and Siliga on Reserve/Futures contracts but dont know jack about either. We need to draft one DT for sure and I wouldn't be disappointed if the Broncos took two. And if we don't take any DTs in the draft or sign a UFA and the MLB position isn't solidifed then I will no longer take EFX seriously about stopping the run.

oh, you'll take them seriously. . .

when they bring back sam adams!

MOtorboat
03-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Take pride in your beer?

dogfish
03-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Take pride in your beer?

sam adams is always a good decision!

and if he's dead, we'll get whatever is left of pat williams. . .

BroncoStud
03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
We should focus less on an old Manning and more on shoring up the 20th ranked defense in the NFL. If Bunkley gets away it will not be a good thing. Still need to address CB, MLB, OLB, DT, probably another S, speed at WR and RB, and could upgrade our interior OL...

But nope, all about chasing a 36 year old dream.

CoachChaz
03-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Why do people still act surprised when Denver accomplishes nothing in free agency? Its only been this way for God only knows how long

BroncoStud
03-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Well, Shanahan kept us damn near or above the CAP every year. We have at least $40 MILLION right now to spend and aren't. There are obvious needs and available players that will fit those needs, but the focus is too heavy on Manning to apparently accomplish that.

DenBronx
03-18-2012, 11:52 AM

You are dead to me.

dogfish
03-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Why do people still act surprised when Denver accomplishes nothing in free agency? Its only been this way for God only knows how long

i'm not the slightest, tiniest bit surprised. . . i still can't help being disappointed, though, even though i saw it coming. . .

Mike
03-18-2012, 04:24 PM
i'm not the slightest, tiniest bit surprised. . . i still can't help being disappointed, though, even though i saw it coming. . .

I had hope. Hope that with glimmers of success and a lot of room in cap that we'd make some moves. Should've known better.

weazel
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I just really think the FO has really dropped the ball with free agency. So many holes and the only thing they look to be interested in is an aging QB that doesnt know what he wants to do. Even if he does decide to sign here, its too ******* late to get other weapons, they're all gone. They might as well forget about that and just play out the year with what we got and use this and next years drafts to build.

BORDERLINE
03-18-2012, 07:00 PM
We should focus less on an old Manning and more on shoring up the 20th ranked defense in the NFL. If Bunkley gets away it will not be a good thing. Still need to address CB, MLB, OLB, DT, probably another S, speed at WR and RB, and could upgrade our interior OL...

But nope, all about chasing a 36 year old dream.

20th Ranked!!!!!! Oh HELL NO....they where the TOP reason we won all those game despite the awful QB under center. They played Lights Out as soon as 15 came in because they believed their only chance of winning was to keep the opposing team with less point than our offense scored. Everybody knows this Stud

wayninja
03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
because they believed their only chance of winning was to keep the opposing team with less point than our offense scored

That actually is the only way to win. By definition. Just saying.

If a defense doesn't believe this, a team has a serious ******* problem.

Tom Nalen
03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
how serious was Bunkley injury last year?

BORDERLINE
03-18-2012, 07:14 PM
That actually is the only way to win. By definition. Just saying.

If a defense doesn't believe this, a team has a serious ******* problem.

Really??? GEE. ninja I din't realize that. LOL

wayninja
03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Really??? GEE. ninja I din't realize that. LOL

It's cool, the 2010 broncos didn't realize it either.