PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Scheffler Wants Out

BroncoWave
04-03-2009, 02:58 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Earlier this week, when asked about his thoughts on Jay Cutler officially being on the trading block, Denver Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler told the Denver Post, "I'm not happy about it." When asked to respond yesterday to the news that one of his best friends on the team had been traded to the Chicago Bears, Scheffler told the Post, "Good for Jay. We'll see how it turns out."
Strangely enough, Scheffler may get a closer look at "how it turns out" than he realizes. Among the teams rumored to be on the hunt for a pass-catching tight end this offseason are the Buffalo Bills. While it would be over a 500-mile journey from Orchard Park, NY to Chicago, he'd be closer than if he stayed in Denver. A report by Pro Football Weekly from last week indicated that the Broncos were entertaining offers for Scheffler and although he wasn't officially on the trading block, he was a player that another team could acquire if the price was right.

The Bills are amongst the teams that hosted Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew for a visit earlier this month, a player who is expected to land somewhere in the first round of the draft. But the Bills have arguably a greater need for a pass-rusher, and it might make more sense to try to swing a trade for Scheffler and take a defensive end like Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown at No. 11.

A trade partner that would put Scheffler even closer to Cutler is the Detroit Lions, as a trip from Detroit to Chicago would be under 300 miles. Both the Lions and Broncos are draft pick rich right now in the first round, but the Lions have a need at tight end (amongst many other positions) and according to the reports, Scheffler does not fit in to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' offensive scheme. The Lions would likely not move one of their first-round picks in exchange for just Scheffler, but their second- or third-round pick could be available. Swapping between some of the mid first-round picks that the teams possess is also a possibility to grease the wheels of a Scheffler shuffle.

Any team looking for a cheaper but less impressive option at tight end will also be kicking George Wrighster's tires in the coming weeks. According to the Florida Times-Union, the Jacksonville Jaguars will be releasing Wrighster today, a fact that seems to please Wrighster, who has written on his blog that "the past was bright, but the future will be incandescent!"

I'll take that second rounder from the Lions! Wouldn't that be the 33rd pick?

claymore
04-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I would love this.

CoachChaz
04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I think we could expect maybe a 3rd rounder, but not the 33rd pick for him

claymore
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I think we could expect maybe a 3rd rounder, but not the 33rd pick for him

Him and a 3rd for the 33'rd? Huh? Id do it.

Nomad
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Why does this not surprise me!:rolleyes: If he doesn't want to be a BRONCO send him on his way!!

claymore
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Why does this not surprise me!:rolleyes: If he doesn't want to be a BRONCO send him on his way!!

I think the greek is behind this rumor.

Nomad
04-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I think the greek is behind this rumor.

Well, Cutler and Scheffler were like peas and carrots though Leach was Cutler's BFF, so out of spite, it wouldn't surprise me if Scheffler made a remark to someone about wanting out of Denver.

bcbronc
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I didn't see anything in that article that said Scheffler wanted out? misleading thread title.

BroncoWave
04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I didn't see anything in that article that said Scheffler wanted out? misleading thread title.

That was the title of the link on the ESPN frontpage. I agree that it could be seen as misleading though.

weazel
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
coudlnt get Scheffler out of here fast enough if we could get something for him. Dude can catch the ball, but it usually injures him.

BroncoWave
04-03-2009, 03:11 PM
coudlnt get Scheffler out of here fast enough if we could get something for him. Dude can catch the ball, but it usually injures him.

Agreed. If the Lions are dumb enough to give us the 33rd pick for him, I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

getlynched47
04-03-2009, 03:12 PM

I love Scheff, but if we can get a 2nd round pick for him......do it.

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I saw two quotes and one was saying he was unhappy about Cutler being traded and the other wasn't saying anything about wanting out of Denver?

*sigh*

dogfish
04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I saw two quotes and one was saying he was unhappy about Cutler being traded and the other wasn't saying anything about wanting out of Denver?

*sigh*

yea, but it's more fun to sensationalize things. . . . :rolleyes:

BroncoWave
04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
www.espn.com

Bottom story under headlines on the right. Just reporting it like I see it!

DenBronx
04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
might as well ship him out. him and our 3rd for pick 33 sounds great. thats basically 3 1st rounders and we pick again at 44.

Watchthemiddle
04-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Get the disgruntled out now if they want to go.

What has happened to this team? The Coach gets the axe, the starting QB cries over losing the HC and his best buddy OC....pouted and now he is gone. SHeffler's best buddy is now a bear and he looks to be pouting about it.

:rolleyes:

JKcatch724
04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Like I said before.... act like a bitch, you get treated like one.

We would be raping any team if we got a second rounder for him. He's good when healthy, but he would probably break his wrist opening the doors at Dove Valley for training camp anyway.

ikillz0mbies
04-03-2009, 03:47 PM
ESPN left out a minor detail:

Shortly after Scheffler responded to the Cutler trade, he a lamp cord, landing awkwardly on his left foot. It was reported that Scheffler has again broken his left foot. He first broke the foot in 2007 during practice drills. He will miss most of the 2009 season.

That injury bug keeps biting him. :D

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
I am starting to wonder if we will have any players from last year at the rate we are going.

weazel
04-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I am starting to wonder if we will have any players from last year at the rate we are going.

looking at last years team, we wont miss too many of them.

Watchthemiddle
04-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Would that be such a bad thing? Besides Clady, the o-line and Royal...do we need anyone else from last years spectacular 8-8 barn burner record? Maybe Champ...but

MOtorboat
04-03-2009, 04:01 PM

So, what rate are we going at?

I, personally, didn't want much of the defense back, so I could care less about that. I'd like to know which of those players you'd prefer to have back.

Offensively...other than Cutler...who have we lost that you want back? Jackson? Mustard?

Help me out here...I'm failing to see this rate of decay of the roster...

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
According to Brandon Marshall's interview on sportscenter this morning, Scheffler is standing on a desolate island if he is unhappy with the recent events of the organization and wants out.

Broncolingus
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM

I, personally, didn't want much of the defense back, so I could care less about that. I'd like to know which of those players you'd prefer to have back.

Offensively...other than Cutler...who have we lost that you want back? Jackson? Mustard?

I believe this is the rate of decay being referred to...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Plot-exponential-decay.png/800px-Plot-exponential-decay.png

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 04:06 PM

We have been talking about trading Scheffler and Hillis in addition to Marshall's time out of next year. That's 4 of the better offensive players right there. I am not talking about trades specifically. We haven't even started the preseason and we have no clue if we will make it out without any injuries.

MOtorboat
04-03-2009, 04:07 PM
We have been talking about trading Scheffler and Hillis in addition to Marshall's time out of next year. That's 4 of the better offensive players right there.

And two months into the offseason none are gone. :noidea:

Nevermind the fact that one is an off-injured tight end, another can't stop beating his girlfriend, and the third doesn't fit into the system the new coach wants to run.

This was bound to happen when Shanahan was finally jetissoned, I'm just amazed at how surprised people are by it.

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I believe this is the rate of decay being referred to...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Plot-exponential-decay.png/800px-Plot-exponential-decay.png

Rather wimpy rate I would say? -25th x? WEAK!

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
And two months into the offseason none are gone. :noidea:

Nevermind the fact that one is an off-injured tight end, another can't stop beating his girlfriend, and the third doesn't fit into the system the new coach wants to run.

This was bound to happen when Shanahan was finally jetissoned, I'm just amazed at how surprised people are by it.

The question is WHO HAVE WE BROUGHT IN? A bunch of back ups and scrubs. For the amount of players we are losing we have a handful of draft picks for a rookie coach and a rookie GM to use. I am not too confident in their abilities right now.

RunYouOver
04-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Wow, we could get the first pick in the third round for Scheffler?

I'm sold on this already!

MOtorboat
04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
The question is WHO HAVE WE BROUGHT IN? A bunch of back ups and scrubs. For the amount of players we are losing we have a handful of draft picks for a rookie coach and a rookie GM to use. I am not too confident in their abilities right now.

OK

Who did you expect to be in a Broncos uniform at this point.

This oughtta be good...

Den21vsBal19
04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
If (when) Scheff goes, does that mean we don't have to deal with that snivelling, greedy Cook anymore?

There's a good reason to trade him ;)

fcspikeit
04-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Where in that article did Sheffler say he wants out?

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 07:20 PM
OK

Who did you expect to be in a Broncos uniform at this point.

This oughtta be good...

Jay Cutler was a good start....

It is ok to change players on the team, but when you change them without actually getting any worthwhile starters it starts to concern me. The best player we have obtained it Dawkins, but he is getting old.

Normally I would love these draft picks, but I am scared giving this many picks to rookies in the front office. If they have a miserable draft they just set us back another 3 to 5 years.

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 07:21 PM
If (when) Scheff goes, does that mean we don't have to deal with that snivelling, greedy Cook anymore?

There's a good reason to trade him ;)

With our luck all of our rookies will sign with him.

MOtorboat
04-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Jay Cutler was a good start....

It is ok to change players on the team, but when you change them without actually getting any worthwhile starters it starts to concern me. The best player we have obtained it Dawkins, but he is getting old.

Normally I would love these draft picks, but I am scared giving this many picks to rookies in the front office.

So...other than Jay Cutler...you have no complaints?

You said our roster was being cleaned out. I want to know who you wanted to stay has gone. All you can come up with is Cutler. Anyone else?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Whether it is in a trade now or when Denver lets him walk in FA, we'll get compensation. I assume via compensatory pick, especially if he gets a lot of guap.

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 07:27 PM
So...other than Jay Cutler...you have no complaints?

You said our roster was being cleaned out. I want to know who you wanted to stay has gone. All you can come up with is Cutler. Anyone else?

I said at the rate we are going we aren't going to have anyone from last year. That doesn't exactly mean we are cutting or trading them. With Marshall being an idiot we are going to be without him for a while.

Although Hillis hasn't been traded he is one player I don't want them even thinking about. He should be brought in to compete at RB.

Scheffler I am not going to freak out too much if he is traded, but once again it would be for picks most likely and I don't like the idea of loading up on them when we have no idea how our FO is going to do.

Frankly after the Cutler Saga if they are trying to trade players they are most likely going to carry through with it.

Den21vsBal19
04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
With our luck all of our rookies will sign with him.
Don't even joke about that!!!!! :tsk:

LoyalSoldier
04-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Don't even joke about that!!!!! :tsk:

I know the thought of all of our rookies going ballistic in 3 years would be a nightmare.

Den21vsBal19
04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I know the thought of all of our rookies going ballistic in 3 years would be a nightmare.
Well, you've just ensured I'm going to have a sleepless night........................in about 3 years time ;)

omac
04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
A report by Pro Football Weekly from last week indicated that the Broncos were entertaining offers for Scheffler and although he wasn't officially on the trading block, he was a player that another team could acquire if the price was right.

It was posted here some weeks back that the Broncos were trying to trade Scheffler, so the situation with him hasn't changed much.

I think a 2nd rounder plus a mid or late pick would be great.

tubby
04-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Bfd

BeefStew25
04-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Good luck trading him guys! Hope you have a good season.

Overtime
04-03-2009, 09:08 PM
this is good news. i think if people would stop and take a look at what Belichick did in New England, and how he did it, they'd see that McDaniels is doing the same thing.

Now I know Belichick didn't run Bledsoe off his first season, but Brady quickly assumed command when Bledsoe got hurt and that was all she wrote.

McDaniels is accruing draft picks rather wisely, and stocking up...he's gonna build this team from the ground up, and do it his way...and that's the only way you should do it.

Might take a few years, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. After all he only learned from the best in the business.

Superchop 7
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
They have quietly been shopping Scheffler for awhile now, he will be gone soon.

omac
04-03-2009, 10:04 PM
this is good news. i think if people would stop and take a look at what Belichick did in New England, and how he did it, they'd see that McDaniels is doing the same thing.

Now I know Belichick didn't run Bledsoe off his first season, but Brady quickly assumed command when Bledsoe got hurt and that was all she wrote.

McDaniels is accruing draft picks rather wisely, and stocking up...he's gonna build this team from the ground up, and do it his way...and that's the only way you should do it.

Might take a few years, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. After all he only learned from the best in the business.

Though I don't like how he's handled himself as a GM in the recent debacle, I think he could do real well. He's a great offensive mind, Orton's pretty good, Nolan is well respected, and we have a lot of amunition in the draft. That's a whole lot of things to look forward to. :cheers:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-04-2009, 09:50 AM
He's not worth the #33. If they offered that I'd I'd jump all over it. I like Scheff, but he does get hurt a lot. Besides, Graham is getting paid and Scheff will want a new deal soon as his rookie contract will be up. If we could land even Detroit's 3rd rounder (do they still own it?), it;'d be #65 and that would be fine w/ me.

Either that or use him to trade up w/ Green Bay ahead of San Fran if we do like Sanchez. Noone between 12 and 18 would be a good trade partner.

nevcraw
04-04-2009, 09:52 AM
They have quietly been shopping Scheffler for awhile now, he will be gone soon.

Or not so quietly..

Requiem / The Dagda
04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I can't imagine us getting a second rounder for Tony, but if a team is willing to part with a third -- it makes a ton of sense. I can't see for the life of me how Buffalo would be more comfortable drafting Pettigrew at #11 as opposed to getting Scheffler for much less and still landing an impact defensive player with that top selection. I think if a deal does get done, it'd probably be with the Bills. They have or just worked out Pettigrew privately, so maybe after a few days of analysis and breakdown of him -- they'll come to a decision as to whether or not they'll pursue Scheffler. I'd like to move him, preferably now.

ikillz0mbies
04-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I can't imagine us getting a second rounder for Tony, but if a team is willing to part with a third -- it makes a ton of sense. I can't see for the life of me how Buffalo would be more comfortable drafting Pettigrew at #11 as opposed to getting Scheffler for much less and still landing an impact defensive player with that top selection. I think if a deal does get done, it'd probably be with the Bills. They have or just worked out Pettigrew privately, so maybe after a few days of analysis and breakdown of him -- they'll come to a decision as to whether or not they'll pursue Scheffler. I'd like to move him, preferably now.

I think what you mentioned should give the Broncos more leverage. The Bills know that they have a big TE need, but they also have holes to fill on defense (OLB/DE). IMO, Pettigrew at 11 is a huge reach. He is the more talented of the TE's in this draft. But he won't make it past the 1st round/early 2nd round. The Bills would be a perfect trading partner as both sides would benefit equally.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-04-2009, 03:38 PM
..and I'd get to Scheff play on a regular basis in Buffalo.