PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Fatsis on Jay Cutler

Den21vsBal19
04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Not saying he's right or wrong, but the guy had a perspective on pro-football, & the Broncos in particular, that not many journos have had......

Stefan Fatsis is the author of A Few Seconds of Panic, about his summer as a placekicker for the Denver Broncos and life in the modern NFL. He is a sports commentator for National Public Radio’s “All Things Considered” and a contributor to the New York Times and other publications.

The saga of the Denver Broncos and Jay Cutler is like the children’s song about the old lady who swallowed a fly. You can find a reason for every decision, but you still might not ever know why.
certainlyh h
In this case, the first swallow was Broncos owner Pat Bowlen firing Coach Mike Shanahan just after Christmas. The decision to break up after 14 seasons wasn’t driven by a perception of a diminution in the coach’s football skills. Bowlen told me he still respected those. But it wasn’t a spontaneous act based on the team’s late-season collapse in 2008, either. Instead, the owner and others in the organization began to feel that Shanahan’s my-way operating style had lost some of its effectiveness, in the front office and with the players. Bowlen over the years had gradually ceded to Shanahan virtually all operating control of the team. After three mediocre seasons in a row — a 24-24 record; no playoff appearances — he decided this was as good a time as any to rebrand and possibly revive his business.

One other overlooked factor: Bowlen is 65. He’d like the franchise to be in a stable place for an ownership transition in the next few years to one of his seven children. I got to know Bowlen well during the summer I spent as a kicker with the Broncos to write a book about the NFL. He doesn’t want to be like Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson, presiding over his team, even as a figurehead, at age 90. I also know Bowlen to be thoughtful, reasonable and sensible — and tough when he needs to be. He trusts the people he has hired — leaving the football decisions to the football people and business decisions to the business people — and weighs in when necessary. That was less and less under Shanahan. He wanted a more active role in his final years as owner.

In Josh McDaniels, Bowlen chose to succeed Shanahan a coach schooled in New England’s disciplined methodology. McDaniels analyzed every player on the Broncos, examining footage and reading reports prepared by his staff. He made some small, head-scratching decisions, like dumping reliable and hard-working (not to mention mature and intelligent) Shanahan holdovers like Mike Leach, the long snapper, and Nate Jackson, a tight end and special teamer. (Disclosure: Both are friends of mine.) He dumped assistant coaches. He rearranged the furniture, literally, at the Broncos’ suburban headquarters. As I type this, just eight players, three assistant coaches and three football executives remain from the time I spent with the team in 2006.

Jay Cutler wasn’t spared scrutiny, nor should he have been. Which leads to a question that few people seem to be asking: Why would McDaniels have considered trading Cutler in the first place? I don’t know the coach, but I know how NFL front offices operate. It’s incumbent on team executives to pick up the phone when other teams call. It’s incumbent on them to listen. It’s not incumbent on them to do more than say, thanks, but no thanks. In this instance, McDaniels was contacted about acquiring his former quarterback in New England, Matt Cassel. Proposals were made. How far they got, and how aggressive the Broncos were about encouraging them, only the participants know for sure.

Should Jay Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, have been insulted that these conversations took place? Of course not. Coaches and general managers have a responsibility, akin to a CEO’s fiduciary responsibility, to consider anything that might improve their team. What I know based on talking to some of my former Broncos colleagues is that, well before this drama erupted, Cook and Cutler wanted to renegotiate the quarterback’s six-year contract, which has three years left. The current deal included $15 million in guaranteed payments. Cutler was paid a $1.275 million roster bonus in 2006 and a $7.9 million option bonus in 2007. But his base salaries are, by Pro Bowl-quarterback standards, meager, and a $12 million performance bonus isn’t due until 2011.

Ted Sundquist, the Broncos’ general manager when I was with the team, told me at the time that, because of the large lump-sum, back-end payout, the contract would probably be restructured before it expires. He said Bus Cook also expected that to happen. Did Cutler and Cook manufacture their hurt feelings over McDaniels’s trade talks and the coach’s subsequent ineffectual spin in an effort to get a new contract now, or get to another city that would give them one? I don’t know. But they certainly saw an opening.

Still, issues over money and bruised egos are addressed and massaged every day in pro sports. The Broncos didn’t have to publicly announce that they wanted to trade Cutler. He was an employee under contract. He would have found a way to sublimate his wounded feelings and show up for mandatory training or risk watching Chris Simms take snaps in September. But at some point, possibly just this week, possibly as long ago as January, the Broncos concluded that they would be better off in the long run — on the field and as a business — with a quarterback other than Cutler.

So why did they swallow that fly? I met Cutler when he was the first-round draft choice in 2006 who was expected to ride the bench for a couple of years behind Jake Plummer and then lead Denver for a decade or more. The new Elway! Finally! But Cutler is virtually absent from my book. That’s because he was uncompelling journalistically and off-putting personally. I sought out players who thought deeply and were interested in explaining the physical and emotional realities of playing in the NFL. That wasn’t Cutler. His demeanor often was that of a bored, eye-rolling teenage girl, with a dash of smugness for good measure. Since then, I’ve received unflattering reports about his behavior and indifferent-to-negative ones about his relationship with his teammates.

Should those sorts of perceptions outweigh a laser arm on a 25-year-old body and 4,500 passing yards and 13-1 record in games in which his team gave up no more than 21 points and any of the other stats rolled out by his supporters? Certainly not. But football teams, like other businesses, consist of human beings whose ability to interact is integral to their success. And no human being is more important to the success of a football team than the quarterback. Josh McDaniels may be young and inexperienced, but he’s not dumb. He didn’t want to sabotage his new team, or his own future. So something else must have been going on.

Here’s a radical thought: Maybe McJayGate, as the Denver press dubbed it, wasn’t about who dissed whom or who ignored whose text messages or whether a new coach has to earn the respect of his players. Maybe it was about something more prosaic but also more substantial: the future of the team. Maybe Pat Bowlen, Josh McDaniels and other team officials examined Cutler’s statistics, his physical traits, his emotional temperament, his suitability to the coach’s offensive system, his leadership ability, his off-field behavior and his overall attitude — including the evolution of his relationship with his new boss. And then they decided that the Denver Broncos had a greater chance of winning with someone else in the huddle. Even someone named Kyle Orton.

getlynched47
04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Fatsis :lol:

Den21vsBal19
04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
A rather ...................unfortunate name :lol:

Thnikkaman
04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
This is the sentiment I keep hearing more and more from people who seem like they are more than just talking heads. This is what is making my wounds as a fan heal.

I am actually getting excited to see an Orton to Royal pass come August.

getlynched47
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
This is the sentiment I keep hearing more and more from people who seem like they are more than just talking heads. This is what is making my wounds as a fan heal.

I am actually getting excited to see an Orton to Royal pass come August.

Orton couldnt hit Devin "Speed Demon" Hester on deep routes. I don't see how it would be different after coming here to Denver.

LRtagger
04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Good article. One of the best I have read on the situation. It makes me feel a little better about this trade getting a first-hand opinion from someone who was around Cutler in the locker room.

Zweems56
04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Orton couldnt hit Devin "Speed Demon" Hester on deep routes. I don't see how it would be different after coming here to Denver.

Cutler couldnt hit ANYONE on 9 routes either.

getlynched47
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Good article. One of the best I have read on the situation. It makes me feel a little better about this trade getting a first-hand opinion from someone who was around Cutler in the locker room.

My goodness is that Orton in your avitar? And I thought I was an alcoholic :rolleyes:

Thnikkaman
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM

What's your address so I can send you a Bears Cutler jersey?

Look, we will either draft a QB this year or next. I'm going to support Simms or Orton no matter who we start. I'm not going to say that the Bears didn't get better by getting Cutler, but I think that we got better in the long run by letting him go. I also think that if Cutler had any other agent than Cook (even Drew Rosenhaus) he would still be a Bronco.

I am willing to bet that we will see plays that work for Orton. It will also be interested to see how far he can throw when he isn't dealing with the wind in Chicago and has the rarefied air of the Mile High City. Cutler can have his fun getting sacked twice a game or throwing ints in Chicago. Or maybe he will evolve and learn to throw a ball away once in a while. Its something all the "Greats" can do.

honz
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Orton has a decent arm, he just struggles a bit throwing the deep ball accurately...sorta like Cutler.

roomemp
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
My goodness is that Orton in your avitar? And I thought I was an alcoholic :rolleyes:

Probably not something to be proud of

topscribe
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM

Wrong. As I mentioned elsewhere, I watched all Orton's highlights, and I saw
several of them where he hit Hester (and others) deep. He needs to work on
his accuracy on the deep pass, true, but he does not lack for arm strength.

-----

Flatinum
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Orton has a decent arm, he just struggles a bit throwing the deep ball accurately...sorta like Cutler.

Hopefully he's better in the redzone.

CoachChaz
04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Troy Aikman couldnt throw an accurate deep pass...but I heard he won a few games.

topscribe
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Troy Aikman couldnt throw an accurate deep pass...but I heard he won a few games.

Aikman was a bust . . . well, in a way.

You can see his bust in Canton . . .

-----

NightTrainLayne
04-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I got this book that Fatsis wrote just last week. I've barely cracked it as I'm trying to finish off another book. . .but so far, it looks like a good read, and may give some insight into Shanny's demise if nothing else.

Bowlen's involvment in this whole episode is telling to me. As Bowlen is so fond of saying, he is there all the time and his office is just down the hall from the HC. What if, part of Bowlen's unhappiness with Shanahan didn't just deal with Shanny's generosity to mediocre free-agents. . ..what if Bowlen's unhappiness included more specifically Shanny's impending contract negotiations with a spoiled-brat QB who BOWLEN doesn't like, and who to this point hadn't turned the team into a playoff contender?

Just some speculation to add to the fire, but it is ultimately Bowlen's money that Shanny was negotiating with. I can't help but to think that Shanny had a wink/nod agreement with Cook/Cutler on renegotiating his contract. What if, the timing of that, figured into Bowlen's action to fire Shanny? What if Bowlen figured that $20 million to Shanny is nothing compared to $100 million to a QB he didn't like running the offense for his team?

What if indeed. . .

getlynched47
04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I got this book that Fatsis wrote just last week. I've barely cracked it as I'm trying to finish off another book. . .but so far, it looks like a good read, and may give some insight into Shanny's demise if nothing else.

Bowlen's involvment in this whole episode is telling to me. As Bowlen is so fond of saying, he is there all the time and his office is just down the hall from the HC. What if, part of Bowlen's unhappiness with Shanahan didn't just deal with Shanny's generosity to mediocre free-agents. . ..what if Bowlen's unhappiness included more specifically Shanny's impending contract negotiations with a spoiled-brat QB who BOWLEN doesn't like, and who to this point hadn't turned the team into a playoff contender?

Just some speculation to add to the fire, but it is ultimately Bowlen's money that Shanny was negotiating with. I can't help but to think that Shanny had a wink/nod agreement with Cook/Cutler on renegotiating his contract. What if, the timing of that, figured into Bowlen's action to fire Shanny? What if Bowlen figured that $20 million to Shanny is nothing compared to $100 million to a QB he didn't like running the offense for his team?

What if indeed. . .

Sorry I just need something to cheer me up :salute:

Nomad
04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
I wonder if Chicago goes after Buress to compliment Cutler.

LawDog
04-03-2009, 05:41 PM

You think they would really shoot themselves in the foot like that?

Nomad
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Cutler has a gunslinger arm;)

CrazyHorse
04-03-2009, 05:47 PM

That would be sweet.

Overtime
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM

What if indeed. . .

nice conspiracy theory, but pretty far fetched imo. this is all just coincidence.

BeefStew25
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
You guys need to let it go. He is not with your team anymore.

BroncoJoe
04-03-2009, 06:04 PM
These first hand comments speak volumes to me.

His demeanor often was that of a bored, eye-rolling teenage girl, with a dash of smugness for good measure. Since then, I’ve received unflattering reports about his behavior and indifferent-to-negative ones about his relationship with his teammates.

BeefStew25
04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
For a guy who isn't a Bronco, you guys sure have a hard on for him.

BroncoTech
04-03-2009, 11:55 PM
One of the best reads on the subject I've seen, thanks for sharing.

Northman
04-04-2009, 12:23 AM

Thats because Devin cant run a real route.

slim
04-04-2009, 12:25 AM
For a guy who isn't a Bronco, you guys sure have a hard on for him.

Beefy, how do you bear fans feel about the trade?

I hope the Bear's training staff has stocked up on razor blades.

Northman
04-04-2009, 12:26 AM

Yea, i dont think they would be so quick to pull the trigger on that.

Shazam!
04-04-2009, 01:36 AM
nice conspiracy theory, but pretty far fetched imo. this is all just coincidence.

A conspiracy theory is a better thought than seeing nonsense like 'McDipshit' and 'McDiapers' all day.

BeefStew25
04-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Beefy, how do you bear fans feel about the trade?

I hope the Bear's training staff has stocked up on razor blades.

We love it. You see, we have an actual defense.

Rick
04-04-2009, 08:40 AM

(and no recievers)

Thnikkaman
04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
(and no recievers)

Or an Offensive Line.

What is the Over Under on number of games before Cutler ends up on the IR list?

slim
04-04-2009, 05:58 PM

I wish you well, yogi. Not Cutler or your team. Just you.

Greatspirits
04-04-2009, 06:54 PM

Hey! He could hit players from other teams!, I'm thinking specifically Raiders and Bills!!

Greatspirits
04-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Or an Offensive Line.

I hear Jared Allen wants to break him in two!!

topscribe
04-04-2009, 07:09 PM

Well, as I look at the Bears' receivers and O-line, I can't help but to think we all have our faults . . .

(Not smack, just an honest evaluation.)

-----

MileHighWrath
04-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Other NFL Team Discussion" being as it has nothing to do with the Broncos?

Who is the "Jay Cutler" that you all speak of? Sounds like a whinny little bitch to me.

Tned
04-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Other NFL Team Discussion" being as it has nothing to do with the Broncos?

Who is the "Jay Cutler" that you all speak of? Sounds like a whinny little bitch to me.

Jay? He is the QB of our soon to be NFC Central champs, Da Bears. Life will be good after our transition to BearsForums (http://www.bearsforums.com)...

Bronco Bible
04-05-2009, 11:03 AM

The last time I saw Cutler throw a good deep pass was to Javon Walker vs the Cardinals

Den21vsBal19
04-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Or an Offensive Line.

Can you go on IR for hurt feelings? :confused:

:lol:

Bronco Bible
04-05-2009, 11:39 AM
If you can he has reservations for VIP seating on it.

Den21vsBal19
04-05-2009, 11:44 AM
The last time I saw Cutler throw a good deep pass was to Javon Walker vs the Cardinals
Certainly last year, I thought a lot of the longer plays were down to the pace of Royal & Marshall's strength

Bronco Bible
04-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Last year and I cant say who it was against BM was wide open deep and the pass was a lolipop letting the defender get to it.

honz
04-05-2009, 12:17 PM

You sure have a lot of posts on a Broncos board for a Bears fan. Why do you care so much about the Broncos?

BeefStew25
04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
You sure have a lot of posts on a Broncos board for a Bears fan. Why do you care so much about the Broncos?

I am Paul Ernsters dad.

honz
04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Isn't Paul Ernster a Cowboy?

BeefStew25
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Isn't Paul Ernster a Cowboy?

I'm not sure. We haven't been speaking. He married a gold digger.

pnbronco
04-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Jay? He is the QB of our soon to be NFC Central champs, Da Bears. Life will be good after our transition to BearsForums (http://www.bearsforums.com)...

Tned, now behave, you can be a closet Bears Fan but I know you bleed blue and orange, just like the rest of us. Drink another glass of wine to help with the grieving, but I'm getting excited about the future.

Tned
04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Tned, now behave, you can be a closet Bears Fan but I know you bleed blue and orange, just like the rest of us. Drink another glass of wine to help with the grieving, but I'm getting excited about the future.

Me too, I'm getting excited about the future of Cutler and Forte in the backfield together. It's going to be an exciting training camp on BearsForums (http://www.BearsForums.com) ;)

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I am going to be a Mod there. Thanks, TNed. I won't let you down.

Tned
04-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I am going to be a Mod there. Thanks, TNed. I won't let you down.

Since it's a Chicago board, we'll have a community organizer forum, you can run that. :2thumbs:

frauschieze
04-05-2009, 02:23 PM

It's not a coincidence that the Bears' colors are orange and blue as well. That was Tned doesn't have to get a total blood transfusion. :hi:

Tned
04-05-2009, 02:33 PM
It's not a coincidence that the Bears' colors are orange and blue as well. That was Tned doesn't have to get a total blood transfusion. :hi:

Orange and Blue

Mets
Islanders
Broncos
and now, Da Bears....

It is simply meant to be..

Never Trust a Snake
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
But Cutler is virtually absent from my book. That’s because he was uncompelling journalistically and off-putting personally. I sought out players who thought deeply and were interested in explaining the physical and emotional realities of playing in the NFL. That wasn’t Cutler. His demeanor often was that of a bored, eye-rolling teenage girl, with a dash of smugness for good measure. Since then, I’ve received unflattering reports about his behavior and indifferent-to-negative ones about his relationship with his teammates.

As if a 23-year-old rookie was going to have much insight on the emotional and physical realities of playing in the NFL.

This rip job by Fatsis is so uncalled for. He doesn't cite any descriptive experiences or examples of Cutler's behavior. He finishes it off by presenting second-hand info that is vague.

Screw Fatsis. Wanna be George Plimpton. I am proud to say I haven't spent a penny on his book. One of these days I will buy it used for $2 so he doesn't get shit.

topscribe
04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
But Cutler is virtually absent from my book. That’s because he was uncompelling journalistically and off-putting personally. I sought out players who thought deeply and were interested in explaining the physical and emotional realities of playing in the NFL. That wasn’t Cutler. His demeanor often was that of a bored, eye-rolling teenage girl, with a dash of smugness for good measure. Since then, I’ve received unflattering reports about his behavior and indifferent-to-negative ones about his relationship with his teammates.

As if a 23-year-old rookie was going to have much insight on the emotional and physical realities of playing in the NFL.

This rip job by Fatsis is so uncalled for. He doesn't cite any descriptive experiences or examples of Cutler's behavior. He finishes it off by presenting second-hand info that is vague.

Screw Fatsis. Wanna be George Plimpton. I am proud to say I haven't spent a penny on his book. One of these days I will buy it used for $2 so he doesn't get shit.

I'm amazed at how some people take it so personally because someone else criticized their idol.

Oh well, welcome to the board, anyway . . .

-----

honz
04-05-2009, 04:09 PM

Hi Jay! :welcome:
;)

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 04:19 PM

And the influx of Bears fans begins!

Always nice to have opposing fans join the board! :beer:

Never Trust a Snake
04-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm amazed at how some people take it so personally because someone else criticized their idol.

Oh well, welcome to the board, anyway . . .

-----

Fatsis thanks Cutler at the end of his book for sitting down and talking to him. This is a petty attack two years after the fact.

A myriad of writers have criticized Cutler. That's part of the territory of being a NFL QB and it doesn't bother me at all. I just think Fatsis is a phony.

Never Trust a Snake
04-05-2009, 04:29 PM
And the influx of Bears fans begins!

Always nice to have opposing fans join the board! :beer:

Lifelong Broncos fan.

Thanks for the brew though. Right back at you:beer:

Lonestar
04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
As Y'all know I've never been a jay lover.. Liked him as our QB only because he was our QB..

I saw many similarities between him and greasy, sulking and moody after some one drops a ball, he tosses an bad throw or someone picks him off.. his aceholeness in after game press briefs..

It is nice to know that someone else picked up on this stuff also.. I just did not know it was this bad..

I truly believe that Josh was excited about getting to work with jay and the talent potential he had..

I also think that as he went over the tape, talked with players and coaches, coupled with his face to face chats while jay was pissy about the trade..

I suspect his gut hurt him somewhat about jay and his attitude.. That perhaps he was not good as advertised.. I'm sure that most of the defensive players had little great to say about him..

And While I guess to the bitter end he wanted to have the chance of working with him in the end jay did it to himself.. I'm guessing that he thought he could turn him into a great person and player..

But the more drama jay did I suspect he was pushing hard to pull the pin..

topscribe
04-05-2009, 05:18 PM
As Y'all know I've never been a jay lover.. Liked him as our QB only because he was our QB..

I saw many similarities between him and greasy, sulking and moody after some one drops a ball, he tosses an bad throw or someone picks him off.. his aceholeness in after game press briefs..

It is nice to know that someone else picked up on this stuff also.. I just did not know it was this bad..

I truly believe that Josh was excited about getting to work with jay and the talent potential he had..

I also think that as he went over the tape, talked with players and coaches, coupled with his face to face chats while jay was pissy about the trade..

I suspect his gut hurt him somewhat about jay and his attitude.. That perhaps he was not good as advertised.. I'm sure that most of the defensive players had little great to say about him..

And While I guess to the bitter end he wanted to have the chance of working with him in the end jay did it to himself.. I'm guessing that he thought he could turn him into a great person and player..

But the more drama jay did I suspect he was pushing hard to pull the pin..

You know I was once leaning in Jay's direction in all this. What spoiled me on
him were the obvious inconsistencies in his statements. The more the two
sides spoke and revealed what was going on behind closed doors, the more it
became apparent who was lying. That would be Cutler.

And it hurt. I had formed an image of a person who was "painfully honest"
(words I had used in support of Cutler), and his apparent lying blew that up.
It always hurts to become disillusioned by such a person . . . at least it does me.

I went from having my own relationship with the Broncos strained over this to
agreeing that it was the best thing for Cutler to leave. I do wish the best for
him . . . I hope he is successful in the future (except when they play the
Broncos, of course). But I am no longer a fan of his. How could I be?

-----

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 05:20 PM
You know I was once leaning in Jay's direction in all this. What spoiled me on
him were the obvious inconsistencies in his statements. The more the two
sides spoke and revealed what was going on behind closed doors, the more it
became apparent who was lying. That would be Cutler.

And it hurt. I had formed an image of a person who was "painfully honest"
(words I had used in support of Cutler), and his apparent lying blew that up.
It always hurts to become disillusioned by such a person . . . at least it does me.

I went from having my own relationship with the Broncos strained over this to
agreeing that it was the best thing for Cutler to leave. I do wish the best for
him . . . I hope he is successful in the future (except when they play the
Broncos, of course). But I am no longer a fan of his. How could I be?

-----

It would actually be best for the Broncos for Cutler to suck this year so that we can get a high draft pick from the Bears! :D

topscribe
04-05-2009, 05:52 PM
It would actually be best for the Broncos for Cutler to suck this year so that we can get a high draft pick from the Bears! :D

Hmmm . . . forgot about that. :confused:

I will root against Cutler and the Bears 16 times this season. :D

-----

pnbronco
04-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Well I have tried to not get flamed because I'm "older" and hate it so I have kept my fingers quite and my options to myself.

I have got to met every QB since Elway and talk to them for 30 seconds here and there along the years. I have to tell you that Cutler makes Griese look like Mr. Personality. It took 3 years to get Griese to open up and talk about his charity but he did and was always helpful to whatever project I was trying to help at the time, Cutler never. I got the eye rolling all the time. In fact Preston Parson, his good friend, hugged me in front of him and said how great it was that I was helping Meck so much and it was the same stop breathing my air kind of attitude.

I'm still not happy with the way anyone handled this, but I really wonder if Bus Cook is not the front and center agitator in the whole thing. The whole wanting a new contract with more money today is the one thing that would make sense to me. I only wish Jay the best and that the Broncos be the team that we know they can be. So I will get my flame suite on.....:D

Lonestar
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Well I have tried to not get flamed because I'm "older" and hate it so I have kept my fingers quite and my options to myself.

I have got to met every QB since Elway and talk to them for 30 seconds here and there along the years. I have to tell you that Cutler makes Griese look like Mr. Personality. It took 3 years to get Griese to open up and talk about his charity but he did and was always helpful to whatever project I was trying to help at the time, Cutler never. I got the eye rolling all the time. In fact Preston Parson, his good friend, hugged me in front of him and said how great it was that I was helping Meck so much and it was the same stop breathing my air kind of attitude.

I'm still not happy with the way anyone handled this, but I really wonder if Bus Cook is not the front and center agitator in the whole thing. The whole wanting a new contract with more money today is the one thing that would make sense to me. I only wish Jay the best and that the Broncos be the team that we know they can be. So I will get my flame suite on.....:D

I have been vocal about him and mikey and have been branded a hater for stating the obvious..

I did not like ashley much either and those comments I made about him was pretty much found to be true..

Because everyone wants a hero, some one to root for.. As do I, but I guess the standards I set are more or aboves others were/are..

You know I get it that folks will overlook the small/medium/huge bad things these idols do.. I just have never quite understood that..