PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn?

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Who would you have preferred to be our QB? Kyle Orton (slated to compete against Chris Simms and possible a draft pick) or Brady Quinn (assuming we would've gotten him because we were very close to acquiring him)?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/04/report_cleveland_browns_offere.html

CLEVELAND -- The Browns were involved in three-way trade talks Thursday that would've sent quarterback Brady Quinn to Denver, the Washington Examiner reported.
The deal, involving the Broncos, Redskins and Browns, was close to happening at one point during the day, the source said. Disgruntled Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who ended up being traded to Chicago, told a CBS affiliate in Denver Thursday afternoon that he was headed to Washington.

dogfish
04-02-2009, 10:09 PM
thank god for kyle orton! hallelujah!

he's a better NFL QB than brady queen will ever be. . . .

not that that's saying much. . . .

Foochacho
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Who cares?

And Kyle orton is not gay so he is the obvious pick. Don't need the qb getting distracted with Casey's balls waiting for the snap.

BroncoWave
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
If all things were equal, I would have rather had Quinn, but I'd rather have Orton and put Cutler in the NFC than have Quinn and put Cutler in the AFC. Now if that 3 way trade would have sent Cutler to Washington, then I would have rather had that one depending on the draft picks we would have gotten back. If the draft picks weren't as good, or if we would have had to have given up more picks/players to have made the deal happen, then I wouldn't have wanted that trade.

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Who cares?

And Kyle orton is not gay so he is the obvious pick. Don't need the qb getting distracted with Casey's balls waiting for the snap.

I'm not looking for retarded, incompetent posts like this one ^^^ I'm looking for posts like the one below this

If all things were equal, I would have rather had Quinn, but I'd rather have Orton and put Cutler in the NFC than have Quinn and put Cutler in the AFC. Now if that 3 way trade would have sent Cutler to Washington, then I would have rather had that one depending on the draft picks we would have gotten back. If the draft picks weren't as good, or if we would have had to have given up more picks/players to have made the deal happen, then I wouldn't have wanted that trade.

Foochacho
04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm not looking for retarded, incompetent posts like this one ^^^ I'm looking for posts like the one below this

I'm not looking for retarded threads when we have a million new ones as it is. Stupid threads deserve a stupid response.

omac
04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Just in a QB perspective, I think Quinn has more upside as a QB than Orton, but am not disappointed nor surprised that we got Orton. I expected McDaniels to value him as a QB.

Also, on Carol's link in the Sharpe commentary thread, I disagree that McDaniels wants Mark Sanchez in the draft. If McDaniels gets a QB from this draft, it will be in the late rounds, ala Shanahan does with his system RBs. There will be little risk, and to him, great reward if he turns out to be Cassel-2.

hotcarl
04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Peace my friend,
~carl
:welcome:

BANJOPICKER1
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Found this comment on the Denver Post website, me like!:salute:

Great news. Kyle Orton + first round this year + first round next year.

Look, this year was going to be about rebuilding, no matter what. Our schedule is ludicrously hard. So, we just gained 2 early to mid first round picks which can help with our defense and hopefully get a young QB. Plus, we get rid of a horrible leader. Who cares that he went to the Pro Bowl. He was a terrible leader on the field and obviously wanted no part of being a Bronco. Good riddance.colwildcat
Glenn D
Glenn's recent comments

Zip Code: 80021

UnderArmour
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
It's like we got Jake Plummer all over again.

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Who cares?

Peace my friend,
~carl
:welcome:

I'm glad to see you three actively contributing to the well being of these boards and this thread :rolleyes:

If you dont like the subject, then get out of this thread. Dont worry, my feelings wont get hurt if comments like the ones above disappear :coffee:

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm glad to see you three actively contributing to the well being of these boards and this thread...

We like the subject. Not your posts. It is offensive to call someone's posts 'retarded' and 'incompetent' and you know it. That is not 'actively contributing to the well being of the boards or the thread' either. You threw something out to another member the other day about the CoC here. Stay in it too.

BANJOPICKER1
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
It's like we got Jake Plummer all over again.

And would that be all that bad? What was his record before he got pulled?:salute:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
We like the subject. Not your posts. It is offensive to call someone's posts 'retarded' and 'incompetent' and you know it. That is not 'actively contributing to the well being of the boards or the thread' either. You threw something out to another member the other day about the CoC here. Stay in it too.

And you dont believe that you're just continuing to fuel a stupid argument? Like I said, if you aren't going to post anything related to the topic, you dont have to post in this thread. I won't mind......

NightTrainLayne
04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Let's stay away from the personal comments and attacks gentlemen.

Foochacho
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I am sorry for posting in your awesome thread. Can you please tell me how McDaniels is retarded and how great Jay is again. I haven't got my daily dose of it yet. Tell me how I am an idiot for not thinking Cutler is a god.

I was just confused by this thread is all, it was actually a thread that wasn't about you slobbering over cutler's balls.

sneakers
04-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Kyle Orton easy......just because Brady Quinn will never be able to grow facial hair.

UnderArmour
04-02-2009, 10:53 PM
And would that be all that bad? What was his record before he got pulled?:salute:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Never said it was a bad thing did I? He's not flashy but he just gets the job done, plus the beard. Maybe now that he actually has talent around him he might be able to turn into a top 15 quarterback. And if McDaniels really is this QB guru that he gives himself credit for, it's going to be exciting to see how great Orton turns out over these next 3 years.

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 10:59 PM
As I said in the Skin Thread, Colt Brennan would've been cheap, is young and had a lot of upside if the deal went through. Colt and Quinn were the two QBs I would've liked Denver to acquire. We'll see who they'll Draft, I am thinking they definitely will get a QB and Hackney is a goner.

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 11:03 PM
As I said in the Skin Thread, Colt Brennan would've been cheap, is young and had a lot of upside if the deal went through. Colt and Quinn were the two QBs I would've liked Denver to acquire. We'll see who they'll Draft, I am thinking they definitely will get a QB and Hackney is a goner.

Watch Hackney beat out Simms, Orton, and any draft pick we bring in :lol:

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Now we need a Thread for the Draft evaluating all QBs not named Stafford or Sanchez.

Italianmobstr7
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Brady Quinn.

ikillz0mbies
04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Now we need a Thread for the Draft evaluating all QBs not named Stafford or Sanchez.

Start that thread!!!

Timmy!
04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
As an ND fan, I would say Quinn, but, I'm not down on Orton like 2/3rd's of this board. His stats are not bad, and being an ND fan, I got to see enough of Orton at Purdue. This guy is NOT a scrub, and I think he can succeed in the kind of offense we all think McDufus will run. It's not like he had weapons in Chicago. If he can beat out Simms (I think he will), we'll see what he can do for a year. I don't think he's the long term answer, but hell, he might turn some heads.

BigSarge87
04-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Honestly, I think Quinn is in humble mode right now because he young and is still a backup. I think Quinn has the potential to be a better QB physically than Orton, but I GUARANTEE if you think Cutler was a spoiled brat, wait till Quinn gets a starting gig and a big contract. That dude is one arrogant, self centered SOB.

I've been looking at articles all night and I haven't found any player from Chicago that doesn't think Orton is anything but one hell of a leader and a great team mate. He's a decent game manager, doesn't throw a lot of picks, and motivates everyone around him.

He obviousley doesn't have the tools JC had, and isn't the long term solution, but I think if McD can get his QB friendly system working with this still VERY talented offense, Orton can be a very solid QB for at least a few years.

That compiled with the fact that we have a chance to get some great young defensive players and I'm very excited about our new beginning.

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Start that thread!!!

Done.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Brady Quinn, Kyle Orton is a Dime-o-Dozen.......

Simple Jaded
04-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I think Quinn is in humble mode right now because he young and is still a backup. I think Quinn has the potential to be a better QB physically than Orton, but I GUARANTEE if you think Cutler was a spoiled brat, wait till Quinn gets a starting gig and a big contract. That dude is one arrogant, self centered SOB.

I've been looking at articles all night and I haven't found any player from Chicago that doesn't think Orton is anything but one hell of a leader and a great team mate. He's a decent game manager, doesn't throw a lot of picks, and motivates everyone around him.

He obviousley doesn't have the tools JC had, and isn't the long term solution, but I think if McD can get his QB friendly system working with this still VERY talented offense, Orton can be a very solid QB for at least a few years.

That compiled with the fact that we have a chance to get some great young defensive players and I'm very excited about our new beginning.

If Orton threw 616 passes, he would have thrown 16 Int's with his Int%, and while Orton may be a very solid QB for a few years, in the same amount of time the Broncos would have been SB contenders had the FO not F'ed this up completely.

Furthermore, for those of you that think Orton was as productive as Cutler.......in the 15 games in which Orton garnered the majority of the snaps, the Bears offense scored 265 points while he was on the field, that's 17.67 a game (That would rank 27th in scoring offense and almost a full TD less than the Cutler led offense).......the defense, special teams and a Rex Grossman led offense accounted for the other 110 points that ESPN has attributed to the Bears scoring.

You don't have to buy into Doogie's hype, the answers are out there.......This is a huge setback for the Broncos organization, and it never had to happen.......

weazel
04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Kyle Orton or Cleo Lemon?

Kyle Orton or Burt Reynolds?

it doesnt matter....

omac
04-03-2009, 12:07 AM
If Orton threw 616 passes, he would have thrown 16 Int's with his Int%, and while Orton may be a very solid QB for a few years, in the same amount of time the Broncos would have been SB contenders had the FO not F'ed this up completely.

Furthermore, for those of you that think Orton was as productive as Cutler.......in the 15 games in which Orton garnered the majority of the snaps, the Bears offense scored 265 points while he was on the field, that's 17.67 a game (That would rank 27th in scoring offense and almost a full TD less than the Cutler led offense).......the defense, special teams and a Rex Grossman led offense accounted for the other 110 points that ESPN has attributed to the Bears scoring.

You don't have to buy into Doogie's hype, the answers are out there.......This is a huge setback for the Broncos organization, and it never had to happen.......

Don't know if I agree with you, but those are good points. :salute:

ikillz0mbies
04-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Kyle Orton or Cleo Lemon?

Kyle Orton or Burt Reynolds?

it doesnt matter....

If Kyle Orton can shave his neck beard and shape his mustache like Burt Reynolds' mustache.....he will win a Super Bowl guaranteed.

Bozo Jr.
04-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Ort.....oops sorry getlynched for posting in your thread. I forgot that you took full control of Broncos Forums........ "Two Months Ago". :rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
04-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Don't know if I agree with you, but those are good points. :salute:

All per the ESPN 08 game log, I may have made a 3 point error as I was on the phone while looking into this.

Orton is 4-9 when his defense gives up 21 or more points to the opposition, he's 2-8 when they give up more than 30, one of those wins was the Denver game when Saurbrun put Devin Hester in the Hall of Fame and the other win was the 07 48-41 Minnesota game where ST's and defense accounted for 21 of their 48 points.

Kyle Orton is a dime-o-dozen, if Doogie thinks he is the answer he better get to work on the defense (What a novel idea), but now that he's ruined the offense, maybe he will be able to find the time.......he'll need to find something to do with all that time he devoted to wiping his ass with Cutler.......

Overtime
04-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Orton=fail, and our offense and throwing the deep ball just went down the drain.

McDummy needs to orchestrate another trade for a 3rd or 4th rounder, and send little Kyle Orton on his way out of Denver before he even has a chance to screw things up, and then we need to draft Mark Sanchez, throw him to the wolves, and see if sinks or swims...otherwise we're screwed as a franchise.

shoulda got Brady Quinn...much better arm and accuracy than Orton.

Simple Jaded
04-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Orton=fail, and our offense and throwing the deep ball just went down the drain.

McDummy needs to orchestrate another trade for a 3rd or 4th rounder, and send little Kyle Orton on his way out of Denver before he even has a chance to screw things up, and then we need to draft Mark Sanchez, throw him to the wolves, and see if sinks or swims...otherwise we're screwed as a franchise.

shoulda got Brady Quinn...much better arm and accuracy than Orton.

I was never a huge proponent of drafting Sanchez.......until they brought in Orton.......

Shazam!
04-03-2009, 12:54 AM
If Kyle Orton can shave his neck beard and shape his mustache like Burt Reynolds' mustache.....he will win a Super Bowl guaranteed.

No more bum looking QBs PLEASE. Coach McDaniels, please implement a Personal Appearance Policy in your Players' Code of Conduct Rules like the NY Yankees have. No more QBs who look like they woke up high on crack under a bridge please.

Overtime
04-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I was never a huge proponent of drafting Sanchez.......until they brought in Orton.......

sanchez will be better than Stafford, and definitely better than Orton.

Orton scares me...and I see a lot of controversy coming if he's our QB.

Brandon Marshall will get really vocal, and Eddie Royal's production will diminish greatly.

i gotta bad feeling about this season if Orton is our starter.

ikillz0mbies
04-03-2009, 01:04 AM
No more bum looking QBs PLEASE. Coach McDaniels, please implement a Personal Appearance Policy in your Players' Code of Conduct Rules like the NY Yankees have. No more QBs who look like they woke up high on crack under a bridge please.

I think the beard itself can be a QB for this team...it just has that aura to it....:D

Shazam!
04-03-2009, 01:14 AM
I wanted Brennan from the 'Skins or Quinn from Cleveland too. Hey, there's still some hope... I'm sure they want a lot of competition at QB. These guys can be had on the cheap and they are talented. Hackney is a dead man walking anyway. This makes it interesting actually going into the Season.

Italianmobstr7
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
I think Chuck Norris. That's who Denver needs. That or just put Jack MF Williams in at QB. That'll do the trick.

broncophan
04-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Orton.............It is hard for me to imagine rooting for a qb from Notre Dame......although if I had to , I would...

broncophan
04-04-2009, 03:06 PM
sanchez will be better than Stafford, and definitely better than Orton.

Orton scares me...and I see a lot of controversy coming if he's our QB.

Brandon Marshall will get really vocal, and Eddie Royal's production will diminish greatly.

i gotta bad feeling about this season if Orton is our starter.

Well........Marshall will prob. be sitting out the first few games......so he can be vocal from the bench

SmilinAssasSin27
04-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Let's stay away from the personal comments and attacks gentlemen.

you're a loser. :hi:

Broncospsycho77
04-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Does anybody actually read the articles? Geez.

Kyle Orton shaved.

Dressed casually and looking younger than on TV thanks to shaving away his scruffy, game-day appearance, Orton, 26, was driving from his home in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park to the local grocery store Thursday afternoon when he received a call informing him he needed to see coach Lovie Smith at Halas Hall ASAP.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12065422

bullis26
04-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Brady quinn no question about it

Superchop 7
04-04-2009, 11:04 PM
The guy we need to go after is Shaun Rogers, Quinn would be nice but that ship has sailed.

getlynched47
04-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Ort.....oops sorry getlynched for posting in your thread. I forgot that you took full control of Broncos Forums........ "Two Months Ago". :rolleyes:

?????????????????

:rolleyes:

EMB6903
04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I'd take Quinn in a heart beat.... Kid can play and would thrive in Mcdaniels system.... Im all for trading #18 for Quinn.

Skinny
04-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm prepared to tough it out, if need be, with Kyle freakin Orton or Chris bygod Simms. Screw Brady Quinn.

getlynched47
04-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd take Quinn in a heart beat.... Kid can play and would thrive in Mcdaniels system.... Im all for trading #18 for Quinn.

What does Brady Quinn have that Kyle Orton doesnt? All I'm saying is that at this point, the ship has sailed. We have Orton and an extra pick to solidify that defense.

EMB6903
04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
What does Brady Quinn have that Kyle Orton doesnt? All I'm saying is that at this point, the ship has sailed. We have Orton and an extra pick to solidify that defense.

Quinn is more versatile, stronger arm, more accurate, and has much better mechanics.... I like Orton too but I dont see him as a long term option

Now can you tell me what Orton does better then Quinn?

Broncospsycho77
04-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Quinn is more versatile, stronger arm, more accurate, and has much better mechanics.... I like Orton too but I dont see him as a long term option

Winning.

EMB6903
04-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Winning.

TEAM GAME

again.... TEAM GAME

IT TAKES A TEAM TO WIN NOT A QUARTERBACK

I know its hard for most of you to understand but I know not to judge a quarterbacks performance on wins and losses... if thats the case orton and rex are better then Cutler....

getlynched47
04-04-2009, 11:44 PM

I'm not a fan of either. By no means am I happy that Orton or Simms will be our starting QB. I would have Cutler over both of them combined. But since Cutler is gone, I guess I have to defend Orton.

He's 21-12 as a starter, and had 9 games with a QB rating over 80.

Brady Quinn is not more accurate, his knock has always been about accuracy.

Quinn's best game was against the horrible Denver Broncos defense, and his last 2 starts before getting injured his QB rating was 38 and 44.

He's not worth trading one of our 1st round picks...

Next?

EMB6903
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not a fan of either. By no means am I happy that Orton or Simms will be our starting QB. I would have Cutler over both of them combined. But since Cutler is gone, I guess I have to defend Orton.

He's 21-12 as a starter, and had 9 games with a QB rating over 80.

Brady Quinn is not more accurate, his knock has always been about accuracy.

Quinn's best game was against the horrible Denver Broncos defense, and his last 2 starts before getting injured his QB rating was 38 and 44.

He's not worth trading one of our 1st round picks...

Next?

Im not about to judge how Quinn is as a quarterback over starting 3-4 games,(even his great one against Denver) and I wouldnt say hes not accurate.. hes very accurate (esspecially on the deep balls) he just forces more than he should....

at this point I would want to wait until next year and hope for Bradford , but I think its too unrealistic... I say go for Sanchez and Quinn (two intelligent but raw quarterbacks who can make ALL THE THROWS and understand coverages pre snap) and let Mcdaniels work with them for a couple years while Orton gets his.

Broncospsycho77
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
TEAM GAME

again.... TEAM GAME

IT TAKES A TEAM TO WIN NOT A QUARTERBACK

I know its hard for most of you to understand but I know not to judge a quarterbacks performance on wins and losses... if thats the case orton and rex are better then Cutler....

Yeah.

But he still won. He did his part and help score more points for a terrible Bears O (if we're going by the same standards you're using) and a good-but-not-great Bears D.

Brady Quinn couldn't even beat the Broncos D last season. Granted he almost did (like every team at some point during the game), but when it mattered, he overthrew it on a 4th down. Sure, one game's not a marker of success or failure for a career, but Brady clearly overthrew a small window of completion in a win-or-lose situation. Orton does his part, for the most part.

EMB6903
04-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah.

But he still won. He did his part and help score more points for a terrible Bears O (if we're going by the same standards you're using) and a good-but-not-great Bears D.

Brady Quinn couldn't even beat the Broncos D last season. Granted he almost did (like every team at some point during the game), but when it mattered, he overthrew it on a 4th down. Sure, one game's not a marker of success or failure for a career, but Brady clearly overthrew a small window of completion in a win-or-lose situation. Orton does his part, for the most part.

Bears have managed to win games without great QB play since they have been in this league... Orton is a solid game manager, I just dont see much upside from him..... Im hoping Im wrong though.. this was his first full year as the starter so who knows?

Broncospsycho77
04-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Bears have managed to win games without great QB play since they have been in this league... Orton is a solid game manager, I just dont see much upside from him..... Im hoping Im wrong though.. this was his first full year as the starter.

I think all you need in a McD/Belichick system is a "game manager".

Seriously, Matt Cassell isn't that good, either. He just looked good because he knew what to do and threw the appropriate 7 yard pass every time.

getlynched47
04-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Im not about to judge how Quinn is as a quarterback over starting 3-4 games,(even his great one against Denver) and I wouldnt say hes not accurate.. hes very accurate (esspecially on the deep balls) he just forces more than he should....

at this point I would want to wait until next year and hope for Bradford , but I think its too unrealistic... I say go for Sanchez and Quinn (two intelligent but raw quarterbacks who can make ALL THE THROWS and understand coverages pre snap) and let Mcdaniels work with them for a couple years while Orton gets his.

I think Sanchez will be a bust.....He is so inexperienced, and he's coming from the QB-friendly Pete Carol offense. I would get sick if we traded up to get him (he won't get out of the top 10).

http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/65887-browns-qb-brady-quinn-struggling-accuracy.html

Browns QB Brady Quinn has reportedly struggled with his accuracy in training camp practices

Accuracy has always been Quinn's knock.

Bradford would be a gift, but McDaniels hates physically gifted QB :rolleyes:

EMB6903
04-04-2009, 11:55 PM
I think all you need in a McD/Belichick system is a "game manager".

Seriously, Matt Cassell isn't that good, either. He just looked good because he knew what to do and threw the appropriate 7 yard pass every time.

that might be true... when you have a great all around team

Patriots were 18-1 2 years ago

Scarface
04-04-2009, 11:59 PM
I'd rather take my chances with Sanchez at this point. Orton and Quinn both suck, imo.

Broncospsycho77
04-05-2009, 12:01 AM
that might be true... when you have a great all around team

Patriots were 18-1 2 years ago

For the offense to work, you only need a good offense (for the first 2-3 quarters, anyway). And the rest of the offense is there.

Line: Very solid; Orton will have plenty of time to think.
WRs: Best position on the team, easily. Nothing to worry about here.
RB: Unknown, RBBC assuredly. Then again, Pats didn't use much running. Then again again, we'll have a decent punch with Buckhalter and Arrington. Nothing special, but nothing to laugh at either.
TE: Probably unneeded in the Pats system, but we've got those, too, just in case.

EMB6903
04-05-2009, 12:04 AM
I think Sanchez will be a bust.....He is so inexperienced, and he's coming from the QB-friendly Pete Carol offense. I would get sick if we traded up to get him (he won't get out of the top 10).

http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/65887-browns-qb-brady-quinn-struggling-accuracy.html

Accuracy has always been Quinn's knock.

Bradford would be a gift, but McDaniels hates physically gifted QB :rolleyes:

I'd love Bradford.... Im sure whoever lives in Colorado or the big 12 area has seen this kid play, hes unbelievable

As far as Sanchez I dont know... Im not his biggest fan but I wouldnt be upset at all if we took him at 12, Im actually hoping we take him or trade down if Raji and Brown are gone..... but like you said hes most likely not getting out of the top 10.....

and a training camp review from the "akron beacon journal"??? sorry Im not taking too much into that.. yes hes not the greatest decision maker... but either was Matt Ryan coming out of BC.... I dont think there is any problem with his accuracy though.. I might be wrong, we shall see....

EMB6903
04-05-2009, 12:05 AM
For the offense to work, you only need a good offense (for the first 2-3 quarters, anyway). And the rest of the offense is there.

Line: Very solid; Orton will have plenty of time to think.
WRs: Best position on the team, easily. Nothing to worry about here.
RB: Unknown, RBBC assuredly. Then again, Pats didn't use much running. Then again again, we'll have a decent punch with Buckhalter and Arrington. Nothing special, but nothing to laugh at either.
TE: Probably unneeded in the Pats system, but we've got those, too, just in case.

so by that you are cool with going into the season thinking that Orton is gonna throw around 25-30 times a game?

Broncospsycho77
04-05-2009, 12:08 AM
so by that you are cool with going into the season thinking that Orton is gonna throw around 25-30 times a game?

No.

I expect plenty of screen passes, though, and plenty of trick plays if Orton's the answer. There's gotta be something innovative to McD's style if he was worth hiring.

EMB6903
04-05-2009, 12:33 AM
No.

I expect plenty of screen passes, though, and plenty of trick plays if Orton's the answer. There's gotta be something innovative to McD's style if he was worth hiring.

That is one thing Im looking Forward to.... Marshall and Royal will get the ball in their hands early a lot more often.... instead of the TE screens we saw with Nate Jackson and Tony Scheffler.

Lets just hope Marshall has learned that its ok to be tackled when surrounded by 4 defenders instead of trying to make a play and losing 10+ yards...

that being said I cant wait to see Royal in this system... he is going to dominate.

dogfish
04-05-2009, 01:23 AM

not fold like a cheap suit under pressure. . . not cry like a bitch when he loses. . . not get into fights with his teammates in the locker room. . . actually go through his progressions instead of staring down the number one option and just throwing it up and hoping he can come down with it regardless of the coverage (people thought cutler was bad at that? quinn is the freakin' master!). . . . not act like he's special and deserves special treatment-- not hold out to get paid higher than his draft slot calls for just because he's a high profile quarterback and his agent told him he'd go higher than he did. . . not tell the local media that he doesn't see any reason that he shouldn't start over the team's veterans right after staging a lengthy holdout and missing a good chunk of OTAs and the beginning of camp. . .

slim
04-05-2009, 01:25 AM
not fold like a cheap suit under pressure. . . not cry like a bitch when he loses. . . not get into fights with his teammates in the locker room. . . actually go through his progressions instead of staring down the number one option and just throwing it up and hoping he can come down with it regardless of the coverage (people thought cutler was bad at that? quinn is the freakin' master!). . . . not act like he's special and deserves special treatment-- not hold out to get paid higher than his draft slot calls for just because he's a high profile quarterback and his agent told him he'd go higher than he did. . . not tell the local media that he doesn't see any reason that he shouldn't start over the team's veterans right after staging a lengthy holdout and missing a good chunk of OTAs and the beginning of camp. . .

Wow, he sounds a lot like Jay :welcome:

dogfish
04-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Wow, he sounds a lot like Jay :welcome:

yea, except minus the arm, the velocity and the toughness (on the field, not in the media), less mobility inside or outside the pocket (quinn has some, but not as much as jay), etc etc. . . . oh yea, and he's never proven ANYTHING in the NFL, while jay's coming off a pro bowl and was highly sought after. . . quinn can't beat out derek anderson, and if they trade him that tells you that they don't think he will. . .

who cares, though? jay's gone, and the sooner people stop looking for excuses to stop taking shots at him, or cry about the situation, the sooner we can forget the whole stupid fiasco. . . JMO. . .

EMB6903
04-05-2009, 01:41 AM

half of the things you say about Quinn I disagree with, not going though his progressions? folding like a cheap suit under pressure? can you please explain why you think this way of Quinn?

yes he forces throws, what Quarterback doesnt? and I could care less if he cries like a bitch when he loses...hell I cry like a bitch when I lose... its called being competitive... I'd rather have my QB be competitive than be a "good sport"..... lol @ good sports, known losers

I think most people hate on Quinn because his image over looking his talent and production on the field... just my opinion though

EMB6903
04-05-2009, 01:43 AM
yea, except minus the arm, the velocity and the toughness (on the field, not in the media), less mobility inside or outside the pocket (quinn has some, but not as much as jay), etc etc. . . . oh yea, and he's never proven ANYTHING in the NFL, while jay's coming off a pro bowl and was highly sought after. . . quinn can't beat out derek anderson, and if they trade him that tells you that they don't think he will. . .

who cares, though? jay's gone, and the sooner people stop looking for excuses to stop taking shots at him, or cry about the situation, the sooner we can forget the whole stupid fiasco. . . JMO. . .

Quinn is very tough, and arguably stronger then Cutler and in my opinion has more of a presense in the pocket... HES NEVER PROVEN ANYTHING BECAUSE HE HASNT HAD THE CHANCE

my goodness....

Timmy!
04-05-2009, 01:44 AM

I like Brady Quinn.

I guess all brothers fight eh Dogfish? :heh:

dogfish
04-05-2009, 02:05 AM
half of the things you say about Quinn I disagree with, not going though his progressions? folding like a cheap suit under pressure? can you please explain why you think this way of Quinn?

because it's what i saw him do on the field when i watched notre dame games where they played quality opponents-- the USC game and the bowl game against ohio state come to mind. . . .

I think most people hate on Quinn because his image over looking his talent and production on the field...

he pretty much HAS no production on the field in two years in the pros. . .

Quinn is very tough, and arguably stronger then Cutler and in my opinion has more of a presense in the pocket... HES NEVER PROVEN ANYTHING BECAUSE HE HASNT HAD THE CHANCE

my goodness....

yea. . . . BECAUSE HE COULDN'T BEAT OUT DEREK ANDERSON!

see, caps make my position look stronger too. . . . :laugh:

seriously, people can post about it 'til the cows come home, but i don't like the guy, have never liked him, and don't believe that he has what it takes to be a succesful pro-- and i never will until he proves otherwise. . . and i'm not accepting any excuses about how he hasn't had a chance-- if he's such a hotshot talent he should have earned a chance. . . . JMO. . .

EMB6903
04-05-2009, 02:10 AM
hmmm... I could have sworn Derek Anderson went to the pro bowl the year before and was signed to a long term extension...

that doesnt mean Brady Quinn is a bad quarterback... also in 2005 I think he played solid against USC... He drove them down the field to lead the game late in the 4th quarter.... the defense just couldnt hold up

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Anderson has been in the League for almost two years longer.

Quinn held out in his first season so he was behind on the ball.

...and no I am not sweating Quinn, I wanted Colt Brennan.

bullis26
04-05-2009, 03:59 PM
i wouldnt mind colt brennan because i think he'd be a stud in a spread, and we'd have to give up much less for him then we would brady quinn..... i would rather have quinn though......but look at cleveland last year, there recievers could not hold onto the ball, brady quinn played better in his first year starting then cutler did, but quinns receivers sucked

hamrob
04-05-2009, 04:05 PM
This is from SI.com:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/98010-browns-may-still-trade-quinn?eref=fromSI

Browns may still trade Quinn

Brady Quinn fans shouldn't relax just yet. The possibility of a trade to Denver still exists. Kyle Orton, the quarterback the Broncos received in Thursday's trade of Jay Cutler to the Bears, is not the answer. Josh McDaniels, Denver's coach, has got to know that. Neither is Chris Simms, whom the Broncos signed before this brouhaha with Cutler became a daily story. As soon as the dust settled after the trade of Cutler to Chicago, the question became: So who's Denver's next quarterback? Speculation in Denver and elsewhere is that the Broncos might use their two first-round draft picks -- No. 12 and No. 18 -- to move up high enough to select Mark Sanchez of Southern California. Seattle, sitting at No. 4, already is giving signals it suddenly loves Sanchez, perhaps to sway a deal with Denver. The reality of the NFL is that nobody wants to be in the top five on draft day. And that includes Denver. So there's Quinn, still not endorsed by the Browns as their starting quarterback as he enters his third season. And there's McDaniels in Denver, filled with positive feedback about Quinn from Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, whom McDaniels adores as an offensive football coach. If McDaniels can't trust Weis, then who can he trust?

Cleveland Plain Dealer

bullis26
04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
This is from SI.com:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/98010-browns-may-still-trade-quinn?eref=fromSI

Brady Quinn fans shouldn't relax just yet. The possibility of a trade to Denver still exists. Kyle Orton, the quarterback the Broncos received in Thursday's trade of Jay Cutler to the Bears, is not the answer. Josh McDaniels, Denver's coach, has got to know that. Neither is Chris Simms, whom the Broncos signed before this brouhaha with Cutler became a daily story. As soon as the dust settled after the trade of Cutler to Chicago, the question became: So who's Denver's next quarterback? Speculation in Denver and elsewhere is that the Broncos might use their two first-round draft picks -- No. 12 and No. 18 -- to move up high enough to select Mark Sanchez of Southern California. Seattle, sitting at No. 4, already is giving signals it suddenly loves Sanchez, perhaps to sway a deal with Denver. The reality of the NFL is that nobody wants to be in the top five on draft day. And that includes Denver. So there's Quinn, still not endorsed by the Browns as their starting quarterback as he enters his third season. And there's McDaniels in Denver, filled with positive feedback about Quinn from Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, whom McDaniels adores as an offensive football coach. If McDaniels can't trust Weis, then who can he trust?

Cleveland Plain Dealer

also on NFL.com

getlynched47
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
This is from SI.com:

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Not worth giving up our first round pick for. Maybe we give them Orton and our 3rd or 4th, but I'd be sick if we gave up our first round pick for Quinn or if we draft Mark Sanchez.

dogfish
04-05-2009, 04:51 PM
This is from SI.com:

Cleveland Plain Dealer

so orton, a four year NFL vet with 33 starts under his belt and 20-some wins, isn't the answer, but brady quinn, who has NOTHING to show for his two years in the league besides splinters in his butt, IS the answer? man, these so-called sportswriters need to get over that first round draft pick hype. . .

experience and production >>>> draft status and hype

claymore
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
This is from SI.com:

Cleveland Plain Dealer

I say Orton for Quinn, and Cleavland gives us they're 2nd from Tampa and a 6th.

hamrob
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
I'd consider trading our 2nd for Quinn. That would take care of our QB situation both short and long term and allow us to use our 4 1's in the next two years on defense.

I'm hoping Mickey-D believes in the guys we have already...and that we stay away from Sanchez.

Overtime
04-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I'd rather have Quinn, and maybe Orton as our backup, and Simms as 3rd string, and cut Hackney.

i'd fine with that line up.

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 05:37 PM
i wouldnt mind colt brennan because i think he'd be a stud in a spread, and we'd have to give up much less for him...

I don't see the Skins letting him go without a QB in return.

Overtime
04-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Colt Brennan = Todd Blackledge or Ryan Leaf.

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Oh please. Brennan has been on the sideline watching and learning, without the pressure of being thrown to the wolves and being a top pick. I know arm strength is an issue but to play in Jones' run n shoot system throwing 50x a game, he's got an arm. He has a lot of upside and is cheap.

Never Trust a Snake
04-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Colt Brennan = Todd Blackledge or Ryan Leaf.

What is your basis for that comparison? Ryan Leaf and Todd Blackledge were toolsy, first round quarterbacks. Brennan is a late round pick QB who lacked the physical tools of those two.

Brennan is worth a shot because he has great touch. He has an uncanny knack for anticipating where the WR will be and putting the ball where it needs to go. June Jones worked wonders with him.

Overtime
04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
What is your basis for that comparison? Ryan Leaf and Todd Blackledge were toolsy, first round quarterbacks. Brennan is a late round pick QB who lacked the physical tools of those two.

Brennan is worth a shot because he has great touch. He has an uncanny knack for anticipating where the WR will be and putting the ball where it needs to go. June Jones worked wonders with him.

and look what happened when they played a real team too...i could work wonders with Hawaii if they played and bread and butter schedule too against chump teams.

when they played Georgia in that BCS Bowl game they got stomped into a mud hole and made Brennan look like the second coming of Todd Blackledge...that's my basis.

Never Trust a Snake
04-05-2009, 06:16 PM
and look what happened when they played a real team too...i could work wonders with Hawaii if they played and bread and butter schedule too against chump teams.

when they played Georgia in that BCS Bowl game they got stomped into a mud hole and made Brennan look like the second coming of Todd Blackledge...that's my basis.

Brennan did not have a fighting chance in that game. Georgia's front seven manhandled Hawaii's offensive line in that game, pure and simple.

It was painfully obvious that Georgia was not only bigger and more physical than Hawai'i, but they were just as fast and quick.

No quarterback would have performed well under those circumstances.

Overtime
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Brennan is not the answer, Orton isn't the answer. We need to either try and get Sanchez or Quinn...they're built for the type of offense McD runs. Personally I'd rather have Quinn over Sanchez, but I think either would be highly successful.

TXBRONC
04-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Oh please. Brennan has been on the sideline watching and learning, without the pressure of being thrown to the wolves and being a top pick. I know arm strength is an issue but to play in Jones' run n shoot system throwing 50x a game, he's got an arm. He has a lot of upside and is cheap.

Harrell out of Texas Tech is similar to Brennan from what I hear. I've never seen Brennan play but I have seen Harrell play and I wouldn't advocate drafting him.

bullis26
04-05-2009, 11:59 PM

i doubt you would do anything as a coach....especially if you think one game matters, wow brennan played a bad game oh no because of one bad game in college he'll never make it in the pros(wow he played georgia i know) good Qb's have bad games against good teams

I.E. Peyton Manning VS Patriots playoffs for many years

bullis26
04-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Brennan is not the answer, Orton isn't the answer. We need to either try and get Sanchez or Quinn...they're built for the type of offense McD runs. Personally I'd rather have Quinn over Sanchez, but I think either would be highly successful.

so you have some inside knowledge huh? you know which guys will and will not work for our offense.... hurry go tell mcdaniels this before he trades for orton...oh wait too late, give those guys a chance, orton wasnt horrible last year, and what we've seen outta brennan in the preseason it's worth giving him a shot(texans did it with matt shaub)

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Bull, must every post you make be so abrasive?