PDA

View Full Version : Why this was probably the best offer we could have gotten.

BroncoWave
04-02-2009, 09:28 PM
So many people on here are saying that we got fleeced and that we could have gotten so much more from another team if we had just waited. Honestly, I don't think that's the case and here's why:

First of all, you have to eliminate all 15 other AFC teams because there isn't a chance we were sending him in conference to let him beat up on us every year unless an AFC team just offered us something preposterous, which clearly didn't happen.

As for the NFC teams, from all reports, there were only 3 teams that were seriously pursuing him: Chicago, Washington, and Detroit. As for Detroit, it's been reported that they were deadset on dumping the #1 pick for Cutler but we wouldn't take it because of the cap implications. If Detroit was deadset on giving us that pick, that takes them out of it. That leaves Chicago and Washington. Now this is just speculation, but I would assume that Denver got Chicago's offer and tried to see if Washington could top it, and obviously they didn't or he would be a redskin right now.

So while it may seem like we could have gotten something better, this probably is the best deal on the table and if the draft picks turn out, this is some pretty sweet compensation.

hotcarl
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
mcdaniels has been so open and honest to the fans i must agree with your statement

can we have mike shanahan back please???

*crys like a ******* baby*

Buff
04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
mcdaniels has been so open and honest to the fans i must agree with your statement

can we have mike shanahan back please???

*crys like a ******* baby*

*sticks a ******* pacifier in your mouth*

Requiem / The Dagda
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Denver gets the two first-rounders they wanted. . . and a third rounder. Not only that, but a starting QB in this league. Not bad at all.

red98
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
So many people on here are saying that we got fleeced and that we could have gotten so much more from another team if we had just waited. Honestly, I don't think that's the case and here's why:

First of all, you have to eliminate all 15 other AFC teams because there isn't a chance we were sending him in conference to let him beat up on us every year unless an AFC team just offered us something preposterous, which clearly didn't happen.

As for the NFC teams, from all reports, there were only 3 teams that were seriously pursuing him: Chicago, Washington, and Detroit. As for Detroit, it's been reported that they were deadset on dumping the #1 pick for Cutler but we wouldn't take it because of the cap implications. If Detroit was deadset on giving us that pick, that takes them out of it. That leaves Chicago and Washington. Now this is just speculation, but I would assume that Denver got Chicago's offer and tried to see if Washington could top it, and obviously they didn't or he would be a redskin right now.

So while it may seem like we could have gotten something better, this probably is the best deal on the table and if the draft picks turn out, this is some pretty sweet compensation.

Do you really have to eliminate the AFC teams? The Pat's sent Cassel to the Chiefs after all. Maybe the Broncos did eliminate the AFC teams, but they sure didn't have to.

Just remember that in 2006 the Broncos used 2 first round picks and a future 3rd (I think) to get an unproven Jay Cutler.

Now, after 3yrs, a pro-bowl, some decent stats, etc. They trade him for almost the same thing.

NO, I'm sure if they tried we could have gotten more in this trade.

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't think the Broncos gave up as much for John Elway back in the day as Chicago gave for Cutler. Denver certainly didn't get fleeced. I would've rather have a different QB in the deal though, like Quinn.

slim
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Denver gets the two first-rounders they wanted. . . and a third rounder. Not only that, but a starting QB in this league. Not bad at all.

The question is how can we restock the front seven with the 5 first day picks we have.

BroncoWave
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Do you really have to eliminate the AFC teams? The Pat's sent Cassel to the Chiefs after all. Maybe the Broncos did eliminate the AFC teams, but they sure didn't have to.

Just remember that in 2006 the Broncos used 2 first round picks and a future 3rd (I think) to get an unproven Jay Cutler.

Now, after 3yrs, a pro-bowl, some decent stats, etc. They trade him for almost the same thing.

NO, I'm sure if they tried we could have gotten more in this trade.

No, I didn't say you HAVE to eliminate the AFC teams, but if the Broncos were going to let him stay in the conference, and AFC team would have had to offer them a lot more because the threat of Cutler staying in conference to haunt Denver would have cancelled out a deal from an AFC team that could have been slightly better than what the Bears offered. Now if an AFC team had offered us like their entire draft and a good player, then yeah, we'd have had to have taken that but if the offers from AFC teams were just as good or only slightly better than what the Bears offered, I can see why Denver would turn them down.

Timmy!
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't understand people freaking over of this. Cutler WANTED OUT. He made it 100% obvious he wasn't going to play here. Who was really to blame? It's all BS until we get proof (phone record anybody?). Bottom line is my loyalties are to the Denver Broncos, not Jay Cutler, no matter how talented I think the kid is, he's got the maturity of a 10 year old. 2 1st round picks, and 3rd, and Orton for Cutler and a 5th? Really? WTF did you people expect? Everybody thinks Orton is terrible, that he had such a great defense and running game. Look at the stats. The defense was mediocre (last year). The Broncos had more rushing yards. People want to bitch about reality? Here's some reality. Let's play a game, match the QB to their record:

17-20
21-12

Oh ya....did I mention Orton is 15-2 at home? His teammates also speak very highly of him. Ask Urlacher. In an interview today he said he could understand why Cutler was upset, but also praised Orton. How many Broncos defends have praised Cutler to the media? Get the **** over it people, Cutler is not Elway, and we just got 2 1st round picks, a 3rd, and a 26 year old QB with a better record (no, I DON'T think he has Cutlers raw talent so don't even go there) for an unproven gunslinger QB with diabetes and a losing record and serious attitude problems. Not to mention we shipped his ass to the NFC where we don't have to worry about him torching us (IF, and I do mean IF, he doesn't flop) all the time. WTF are you people smoking?!

ktrain
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
As for the NFC teams, from all reports, there were only 3 teams that were seriously pursuing him: Chicago, Washington, and Detroit. .

I have heard that Tampa Bay was also interested, don't know if it were true

claymore
04-02-2009, 09:52 PM

Your not allowed to talk until your rooms clean you SOB/.

BroncoWave
04-02-2009, 09:53 PM

If so, I'm sure Denver tried to see if they could beat Chicago's deal as well and they didn't either.

Regardless, once Denver named the asking price, I don't think the market for him was as hot as some of you want to believe,

claymore

They were, but didnt have the fire power. Glazers own the Manchester united as well and Cutlers new contract was scary because they are broke. :D

red98
No, I didn't say you HAVE to eliminate the AFC teams, but if the Broncos were going to let him stay in the conference, and AFC team would have had to offer them a lot more because the threat of Cutler staying in conference to haunt Denver would have cancelled out a deal from an AFC team that could have been slightly better than what the Bears offered. Now if an AFC team had offered us like their entire draft and a good player, then yeah, we'd have had to have taken that but if the offers from AFC teams were just as good or only slightly better than what the Bears offered, I can see why Denver would turn them down.

Yeah I can buy that scenerio. I just heard some rumors that if the Broncos
let it be known what Chicago was offering, some other teams were ready to out bid them.

Also my snap judgement on this, considering McKid tried to call JC even after
Bowlen's trade speech, is that McKid was willing to wait and see, but Bowlen
was fed up and forced the move.

NameUsedBefore
04-02-2009, 09:54 PM
If the Redskins were involved you can be pretty much guaranteed they would have given more.

You are totally failing to add in what is being murmured on a great deal: That Denver wanted Orton.

Redskins would have given us more, but they would have wanted to dump Campbell on us. That was probably the issue.

If Detroit was going to give us their first then that automatically makes their deal better, cap or not. If their deal is better their deal is better, just because the Broncos refused doesn't mean it isn't so.

This wasn't the best deal possible. But like in the draft team's don't always go for the best deal, but who they want. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There is no doubt that we could have gotten more, IMO, but Denver eyed Orton and that's why Cutler's in Chicago now, not because they were offering the most technical value.

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't understand people freaking over of this. Cutler WANTED OUT. He made it 100% obvious he wasn't going to play here. Who was really to blame? It's all BS until we get proof (phone record anybody?). Bottom line is my loyalties are to the Denver Broncos, not Jay Cutler, no matter how talented I think the kid is, he's got the maturity of a 10 year old. 2 1st round picks, and 3rd, and Orton for Cutler and a 5th? Really? WTF did you people expect? Everybody thinks Orton is terrible, that he had such a great defense and running game. Look at the stats. The defense was mediocre (last year). The Broncos had more rushing yards. People want to bitch about reality? Here's some reality. Let's play a game, match the QB to their record:

17-20
21-12

Oh ya....did I mention Orton is 15-2 at home? His teammates also speak very highly of him. Ask Urlacher. In an interview today he said he could understand why Cutler was upset, but also praised Orton. How many Broncos defends have praised Cutler to the media? Get the **** over it people, Cutler is not Elway, and we just got 2 1st round picks, a 3rd, and a 26 year old QB with a better record (no, I DON'T think he has Cutlers raw talent so don't even go there) for an unproven gunslinger QB with diabetes and a losing record and serious attitude problems. Not to mention we shipped his ass to the NFC where we don't have to worry about him torching us (IF, and I do mean IF, he doesn't flop) all the time. WTF are you people smoking?!

Excellent post. I have been saying this all along in different words.

Denver won with Jake Plummer. They'll win with someone else as long as the defense is improved... and I don't mean improved even in the Top 10, I mean improved as in on 2nd and 22 you know you're gonna get a stop, not watch the opposition march down the field.

Denver will be fine. I'm glad the nightmare and JHS drama is over.

weazel
04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
If the Redskins were involved you can be pretty much guaranteed they would have given more.

You are totally failing to add in what is being murmured on a great deal: That Denver wanted Orton.

Redskins would have given us more, but they would have wanted to dump Campbell on us. That was probably the issue.

If Detroit was going to give us their first then that automatically makes their deal better, cap or not. If their deal is better their deal is better, just because the Broncos refused doesn't mean it isn't so.

This wasn't the best deal possible. But like in the draft team's don't always go for the best deal, but who they want. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There is no doubt that we could have gotten more, IMO, but Denver eyed Orton and that's why Cutler's in Chicago now, not because they were offering the most technical value.

because Detroit was offering their 1st, it makes it better? how you figure?

maybe thats all they were offering, not to mention the 1st overall is a 40 million dollar hit, and noone thinks anyone in the draft is worth that.

red98
04-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Excellent post. I have been saying this all along in different words.

Denver won with Jake Plummer. They'll win with someone else as long as the defense is improved... and I don't mean improved even in the Top 10, I mean improved as in on 2nd and 22 you know you're gonna get a stop, not watch the opposition march down the field.

Denver will be fine. I'm glad the nightmare and JHS drama is over.

Man, isn't it pathetic that having a D that can stop you on 2 and 22 is a major improvement?

atwater27
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM

17-20
21-12

Are you seriously using this as a point as to why you think Cutler sucks?

BroncoWave
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM

In that case, this fit was the best fit for the team in Bowlen/Xanders/McD's eyes then. If Washington had offered Denver a better deal, we would have taken it. But saying that Snyder definitely would have offered a better deal isn't necessarily true. For all we know, he didn't like the asking price and backed off, or maybe he offered roughly the same thing Chicago offered and we just liked their deal better.

As for Detroit, while their 2 first rounders this year is a better deal in theory, we wouldn't have gotten a QB in return and the cap restrictions the #1 pick would have put on our team could have done us more harm than good.

While there might have been deals on the table that would given us more compensation for Cutler, that doesn't necessarily mean that those deals would have been better for the Denver Broncos. More isn't always better.

NameUsedBefore
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
because Detroit was offering their 1st, it makes it better? how you figure?

maybe thats all they were offering, not to mention the 1st overall is a 40 million dollar hit, and noone thinks anyone in the draft is worth that.

If Detroit were in the talks, then they'd also have another #1. All teams involved had two-#1's in the talks. The Redskins wanted to dump Campbell; the Detroit's picks were simply too expensive. Those seem to be the issues.

Hell, I think we could have gotten a better deal from Chicago had we toyed with them for awhile, most likely keeping our fifth. We traded Cutler very quickly, I have a hard time believing the decrepit Lions and spendthrifty Redskins had already placed there "this is the best you'll get" offers by then.

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
No you don't "have" to eliminate all AFC teams. If the price is right, then there's a chance to acquire him as long as it isn't within our division. Cleveland was also reportedly in the mix, along with the Jets.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/04/report_cleveland_browns_offere.html

Timmy!
04-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Are you seriously using this as a point as to why you think Cutler sucks?

EPIC FAIL.

Find a post, out of my over 4,000, where I ONCE said Cutler sucks. Here, let me help you out a bit.

http://wholesalebarsupplies.com/images/fat-straws.jpg

Go ahead and grab one. Run along to the Bears forum now, as you've stated you don't want to support the Broncos anymore.

:welcome:

Wait....or shouldn't you be at the Freak...since you have a thread there proclaiming you are only a member of that forum?

weazel
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
If Detroit were in the talks, then they'd also have another #1. All teams involved had two-#1's in the talks. The Redskins wanted to dump Campbell; the Detroit's picks were simply too expensive. Those seem to be the issues.

Hell, I think we could have gotten a better deal from Chicago had we toyed with them for awhile, most likely keeping our fifth. We traded Cutler very quickly, I have a hard time believing the decrepit Lions and spendthrifty Redskins had already placed there "this is the best you'll get" offers by then.

maybe man, who knows. We'll never know...

I wouldnt have wanted to wait too much longer though. New coaches, new system and new QB. The faster we get things together the better. But I do agree with you that waiting probably would have netted more.

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Man, isn't it pathetic that having a D that can stop you on 2 and 22 is a major improvement?

That is how bad Denver's defense was. Even on 1st and 20, how many times did we see Denver's defense break time and time again? I remember against SD on 2nd and 22 and 2nd and 23, they broke both times. Pathetic. Denver will be fine.

BroncoWave
04-02-2009, 10:06 PM
No you don't "have" to eliminate all AFC teams. If the price is right, then there's a chance to acquire him as long as it isn't within our division. Cleveland was also reportedly in the mix, along with the Jets.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/04/report_cleveland_browns_offere.html

*sigh*

Read my other posts in this thread. I didn't say you HAVE to 100% eliminate all AFC teams, I said you have to eliminate them unless one gives us a deal that just blows us out of the water.

Unless the Jets and Browns were offering a LOT more than the Bears, it wouldn't have been worth it to get their offers and keep Cutler in the conference to torture us.

Let's just assume that the Browns offered the same thing as the Bears (2 firsts, a third, and Quinn). While those would have been higher draft picks and Quinn would have possibly been a better QB for us, is that deal THAT much better than what the Bears offered for us to keep him in the conference? I don't think so. Hence, Cutler is a Bear and not a Brown.

atwater27
04-02-2009, 10:06 PM
EPIC FAIL.

Find a post, out of my over 4,000, where I ONCE said Cutler sucks. Here, let me help you out a bit.

http://wholesalebarsupplies.com/images/fat-straws.jpg

Go ahead and grab one.

OK epic fail man, now get back to the point you just dodged. Are you seriously using the whole defensive player not praising Cutler to make any kind of roundabout point? Are you on crack?

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 10:09 PM
*sigh*

Read my other posts in this thread. I didn't say you HAVE to 100% eliminate all AFC teams, I said you have to eliminate them unless one gives us a deal that just blows us out of the water.

Unless the Jets and Browns were offering a LOT more than the Bears, it wouldn't have been worth it to get their offers and keep Cutler in the conference to torture us.

Let's just assume that the Browns offered the same thing as the Bears (2 firsts, a third, and Quinn). While those would have been higher draft picks and Quinn would have possibly been a better QB for us, is that deal THAT much better than what the Bears offered for us to keep him in the conference? I don't think so. Hence, Cutler is a Bear and not a Brown.

Dude I'm not going to read through an entire thread. I have never done it and won't start now. But I'll take your word for it...

Timmy!
04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
OK epic fail man, now get back to the point you just dodged. Are you seriously using the whole defensive player not praising Cutler to make any kind of roundabout point? Are you on crack?

Yes. I am on crack. I smoke it 45 times a day. Have you ever tried it? It's a hell of a drug. :rolleyes:

It's simple, a defensive player, a CAPTAIN, just praised his FORMER QB. That speaks highly of said QB, when he could have thrown him to the wolves if he wanted to. I wonder if Champ would do the same for Cutler? Leadership. Winning over your teammates. Very, very underrated. How's that for a roundabout point? Excuse me. I need to smoke some more crack.

:elefant:

Buff
04-02-2009, 10:10 PM

The NFL moves fast on everything. The Redskins, and every other team in the NFL, have known that Cutler could potentially be on the block for 30+ days. They signed Haynseworth like an hour into free agency for shit's sake.

The offers were all on the table. Maybe we could have gotten more next season, or maybe we could have gotten a similar deal from Washington with Campbell and you could argue that would have been better. But I don't buy the argument that they missed out on something because they moved too quickly on this.

NameUsedBefore
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
This is what I think: Loads of teams were chomping at the bit to get Cutler, including the league's worst team and the league's most spendthrifty. It's important to note these two. It should also be noted that the Jets and Browns have been murmuring for a very long while.

I have a hard time believing that the most we could get out of a team -- that would spend a 1st on a QB anyway -- is 1-1-3-Orton (and we give a fifth).

I really do. I think we could have taken that offer to the rest of the league and someone would have topped it, taken it back to Chicago, and then kept our fifth or gotten another player.

Timmy!
04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
This is what I think: Loads of teams were chomping at the bit to get Cutler, including the league's worst team and the league's most spendthrifty. It's important to note these two. It should also be noted that the Jets and Browns have been murmuring for a very long while.

I have a hard time believing that the most we could get out of a team -- that would spend a 1st on a QB anyway -- is 1-1-3-Orton (and we give a fifth).

I really do. I think we could have taken that offer to the rest of the league and someone would have topped it, taken it back to Chicago, and then kept our fifth or gotten another player.

That's a logical argument. It's possible, but none of us really know for sure. I wouldn't have wanted Cutler in the AFC for one. It's also possible (has others have mentioned, and without looking back at posts I think you were one of them) that the Broncos had a target on Orton. If it came down to getting an extra 4th or something and keeping Jay in the AFC I'm happy we took the Bears deals. I'm just thankful the whole drama is over, and as Bronco fans we can look forward to the draft and all our ammo.

Drill-N-Fill
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Regardless, once Denver named the asking price, I don't think the market for him was as hot as some of you want to believe,

Sources have said that the Broncos were so overwhelmed by teams approaching them that they were only accepting texts and emails only.

The three team trade possibility was Brady Quinn to Broncos Cutler to Redskins and picks to Browns according to PFT.

weazel
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
well, we will see Jay in week 3 in preseason, lets see how well he works with his new team

atwater27
04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes. I am on crack. I smoke it 45 times a day. Have you ever tried it? It's a hell of a drug. :rolleyes:

It's simple, a defensive player, a CAPTAIN, just praised his FORMER QB. That speaks highly of said QB, when he could have thrown him to the wolves if he wanted to. I wonder if Champ would do the same for Cutler? Leadership. Winning over your teammates. Very, very underrated. How's that for a roundabout point? Excuse me. I need to smoke some more crack.

:elefant:

Our defense was too busy smoking crack on the field to be able to say ANYTHING. Cutler was too busy trying to score points to make up for the 35 or so points they were going to give up anyways. The defense knew better than to say anything good or bad about Cutler. They sucked ass. Have fun with the crack.

hotcarl
04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Timmy!;612018]awesome postQUOTE]

**** yes i will follow you and kyle orton to the center of the sun

i feel much better after reading this and i would advise anyone who is feeling confused to read this post and then just. let. it. go....

huzzah

~carl

red98
04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
well, we will see Jay in week 4 or preseason, lets see how well he works with his new team

Unlikely we will see him in the 4th pre-season game.:D

hotcarl
04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
That's a logical argument. It's possible, but none of us really know for sure. I wouldn't have wanted Cutler in the AFC for one. It's also possible (has others have mentioned, and without looking back at posts I think you were one of them) that the Broncos had a target on Orton. If it came down to getting an extra 4th or something and keeping Jay in the AFC I'm happy we took the Bears deals. I'm just thankful the whole drama is over, and as Bronco fans we can look forward to the draft and all our ammo.

you are the gratest poster of all time
fyi

*subdued*
carl
~

slim
04-02-2009, 10:24 PM
It's the third preseason game. So we should see plenty of Jay.

It will be interesting to watch.

weazel
04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Sources have said that the Broncos were so overwhelmed by teams approaching them that they were only accepting texts and emails only.

The three team trade possibility was Brady Quinn to Broncos Cutler to Redskins and picks to Browns according to PFT.

oh it was in PFT! well then, it had to be total fact!

Not dissing you drill, Im dissing PFT

getlynched47
It's the third preseason game. So we should see plenty of Jay.

It will be interesting to watch.

I can't wait for it.

Since it will be a preseason game and it doesnt count, I want Jay Cutler to dismantle our team and show how epic of a mistake McDaniels made to trade him.

weazel
Unlikely we will see him in the 4th pre-season game.:D

3rd, typo

Timmy!
04-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Our defense was too busy smoking crack on the field to be able to say ANYTHING. Cutler was too busy trying to score points to make up for the 35 or so points they were going to give up anyways. The defense knew better than to say anything good or bad about Cutler. They sucked ass. Have fun with the crack.

28 points per game actually. :tsk:
The Bears defense gave up 22 per game.
Have I mentioned the Bears actually scored MORE points than the Cutler lead Broncos offense with all our weapons last year? Shocking, isn't it?

Oh, and the comments from Urlacher (who was part of the 21st ranked defense in yards, and 16th in points) came TODAY, not during the season. It was far from the point of my post (hence the ? after the sentence.), but if you actually read it you might have figured that out. Guess all the crack smoke in the air clouded your judgement? Have fun at the Bears forum. Maybe you can join one, then run off to another and proclaim your sole allegiance to them. :rolleyes:

Timmy!
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
you are the gratest poster of all time
fyi

*subdued*
carl
~

BS Carl, you are the greatest poster of all time. A poll would prove it. :D

slim
04-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I can't wait for it.

Since it will be a preseason game and it doesnt count, I want Jay Cutler to dismantle our team and show how epic of a mistake McDaniels made to trade him.

Yeah, I like to root against my team sometimes too. That is what fans do.

BroncoWave
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I can't wait for it.

Preseason games don't mean shit. If he does dismantle us in that game, it won't matter at all. Teams are usually pretty vanilla on defense in the preseason and I doubt we will show them anything exotic, just as I doubt the Bears will do anything exotic on offense. I really hope that you don't honestly think that Cutler dismantling us in a PRESEASON game will prove that this trade was an epic mistake.

red98
04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
3rd, typo

doh!