PDA

View Full Version : $50 million in cap space, and you still haven't signed anyone?

The Peytonator
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
What's the deal here guys? If you want Manning to come here, pony up some money to build a stronger roster. I don't get it. Bunkley is up for anyone right now. He is a must sign. I can understand letting your other guys walk, but your team has holes in it; DT, LB, CB, S, OG, C, WR, TE. That's a lot of holes. Fill some of them in free agency. That's what free agency's purpose is....especially when you have 50 mil.

I'm not even talking about signing the Carl Nicks and Vincent Jacksons of the world. You don't have to break the bank to get good players. I just don't see how a team in your cap position, can't even sign 1 or 2 people. The fact that Peyton Manning might be on the horizon shouldn't even matter. The most he'd possibly cost in a year is 20 mil. That still leaves 30 mil for other guys. Why is Elway dragging his feet?

Stephen Tulloch/Dan Conner - MLB
Erin Henderson - OLB (Cut Williams poor character self and free up another 5 mil)
Jason Jones/Derek Landry - DT
Brandon Carr - CB
Mike Adams/Craig Steltz - S
Chris Myers - C
Evan Mathis/Geoff Schwartz - OG
Joel Dreessen - TE

All these guys can be had, and when you can get a quality player at an affordable rate, you pull the f***ing trigger.

wayninja
03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Dude, you're right. I'm on it.

slim
03-14-2012, 08:23 PM

It's about freaking time you got off your ass.

Shit dude, we are all counting on you.

The Peytonator
03-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Well it took you long enough.

wayninja
03-14-2012, 08:27 PM
It's so hard to break away from liberally refreshing my twatter in order to get any work done. But I know I gotta get moving and start signing checks and shit.

Actually, what's going to happen is that the Broncos are going to wait for Manning and then give them everything he wants (from what is available). If we don't get Manning, we don't sign shit and hope our team tanks it's way into a top draft pick in 2013.

At least, that's what it looks like on the surface.

DenBronx
03-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I agree with this thread.

EFX are in Dove Valley with their thumbs up their asses......same as last year.

weazel
03-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Broncos look like fools

SmilinAssasSin27
03-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Broncos look like fools

So do the Steelers, Pats and Packers.

weazel
03-14-2012, 08:52 PM
They aren't sitting doing nothing while they wait for something that isn't happening

Manning used elway as leverage and he's not smart enough to realize it, so he's still waiting

BroncoStud
03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Pretty sad. Waiting for Peyton to bestow his greatness upon our franchise is setting us back... It's beyond stupid.

The Peytonator
03-14-2012, 08:58 PM

Steelers have 1 mil in cap space. Packers have about 5 mil and they retained Finley. Pats have 15 mil and they've signed 4 people....not big names but they aren't sitting with their thumbs up their asses either.

wayninja
03-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Pretty sad. Waiting for Peyton to bestow his greatness upon our franchise is setting us back... It's beyond stupid.

It's worse than that. Now we have rift between the QB we would be left with and the FO. Great start out of the gate.

I am not sure Manning is the right decision, but he's basically our only hope now. If that deal falls through and everyone else good is swallowed up in FA, our FO should GT FO.

DallasChief
03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
You can take Brandon Carr off your wish list. He signed with the Cowboys today. 5 years $50.1 million.

Dzone
03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Be careful what you wish for
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/unitas.jpg

wayninja
03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
You can take Brandon Carr off your wish list. He signed with the Cowboys today. 5 years $50.1 million.

And you can take the homo out of your sig?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Von Miller is getting anxious too, I guess. According to NFL Network he tweeted something along the lines that we need to get Manning and Mario Williams. If EFX was willing to throw down the cash for both, Von said he would play for free this year. I don't think he was kidding. He really wants the Broncos in the Superbowl so he's willing to play for free to bring in top talent.

He also said that he didn't think having both Tebow and Manning on the roster would be a problem. He thinks Tebow would love to "compete" with Manning and that the whole team could learn a lot from Peyton.

Broncomarkie
03-14-2012, 09:24 PM
I agree with this thread totally...$50 million and we have not signed anyone, what the hell is going on!!! Something else I have been thinking also, just a thought..Should we give Pittsburgh a 1st rounder and sign M.Wallace????...or do we not
need another receiver

Mike
03-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Except they are good teams and don't have a roster full of holes to fill...good point.

Nomad
03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Good thing San Diego signed Meachem

SmilinAssasSin27
03-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Steelers have 1 mil in cap space. Packers have about 5 mil and they retained Finley. Pats have 15 mil and they've signed 4 people....not big names but they aren't sitting with their thumbs up their asses either.

That may be a good point if we didn't have the same discussion every year. Meanwhile these teams and a few select others simply sit around and win championships.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Good thing San Diego signed Meachem

... and Laron McClain. Now they are targeting Eddie Royal (didn't sign with Washington). I guess they are tired of him returning punts for TDs against them... Can't beat 'em, sign 'em.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Except they are good teams and don't have a roster full of holes to fill...good point.

They all started somewhere...and neither abused/used free agency.

As I stated in another thread...since 2000, the following teams have accounted for 9 championships. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Giants, New England and Baltimore. Although there may be a few savvy trades, the common theme is the lack of free agent spending. Even when things look down, they stay the course and trust the scouts. Just sayin...

igoe4broncos
03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
It's pretty simple at this point. If EFX lands Manning, they're looked at as heros for waiting this whole thing out with PM in their back pocket the whole time.

If not, we're screwed and will likely overpay for whatever's left on the market.

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Just sign people to sign people!

Mike
03-14-2012, 09:42 PM

As I stated in another thread...since 2000, the following teams have accounted for 9 championships. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Giants, New England and Baltimore. Although there may be a few savvy trades, the common theme is the lack of free agent spending. Even when things look down, they stay the course and trust the scouts. Just sayin...

The point is that right now, right here, Denver has huge holes all over the roster. AND they have a huge amount of money to play with. So it is apples and oranges. If you want to build through the draft, great. But with the money they have, and the fact draft picks aren't getting paid like in the past, there is no reason that they cannot do both. I will not be content to see them go back to a 4-6 win team...which I think they are right now given the talent on the team.

I am far from advocating overpaying. But at this point all that I am clinging to is that they are letting other teams over pay (which they have), and are waiting for value players. That is fine...if they make some moves. Given their recent history, I am not holding my breath though.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
The point is that right now, right here, Denver has huge holes all over the roster. AND they have a huge amount of money to play with. So it is apples and oranges. If you want to build through the draft, great. But with the money they have, and the fact draft picks aren't getting paid like in the past, there is no reason that they cannot do both. I will not be content to see them go back to a 4-6 win team...which I think they are right now given the talent on the team.

I am far from advocating overpaying. But at this point all that I am clinging to is that they are letting other teams over pay (which they have), and are waiting for value players. That is fine...if they make some moves. Given their recent history, I am not holding my breath though.
But you are advocating for overpaying if yer this upset about not landing SOMEONE within the 1st 24 hours. There are PLENTY of very good players available and plenty at our positions of need. I get that we can spend, but the outrage that we didn't just start tosing out money is laughable to me. VJax's deal is a joke. Dude is 29 and has plenty of off field baggage. But he got PAID. I get the feeling some folks here are jealous that EFX didn't shell out that much cash for him.

Mike
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
But you are advocating for overpaying if yer this upset about not landing SOMEONE within the 1st 24 hours. There are PLENTY of very good players available and plenty at our positions of need. I get that we can spend, but the outrage that we didn't just start tosing out money is laughable to me. VJax's deal is a joke. Dude is 29 and has plenty of off field baggage. But he got PAID. I get the feeling some folks here are jealous that EFX didn't shell out that much cash for him.

I think the outrage is the appearance of the FO sitting on their thumbs.

The Peytonator
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM

If you read my OP I said that I'm not talking about the Carl Nicks/Vincent Jacksons of the world. I'm talking about keeping Bunkley, signing smaller time guys like Erin Henderson, Dan Conner, Jeol Dreessen, etc. The good players are the first ones to be signed. When you go dumpster diving you typically get things people don't want. It's only common sense. When your team is in the best position in the league as far as the salary cap, you can fill some holes in free agency.

turftoad
03-14-2012, 09:55 PM
You guys overreact much? Hell, this first round of FA's are always overpayed. IMO, the second round is more important. Not overspending and still getting good talent.
Use those guys and draft and we're doing better off.

wayninja
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
You guys overreact much? Hell, this first round of FA's are always overpayed. IMO, the second round is more important. Not overspending and still getting good talent.
Use those guys and draft and we're doing better off.

Round? I'm definitely not an expert, is FA broken up into rounds? Do teams have to take turns or something?

Dzone
03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Elway gets a pass because he is Elway. Elway can do no wrong! Elway jock sniffers unite!

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Elway gets a pass because he is Elway. Elway can do no wrong! Elway jock sniffers unite!

Well, you had to know that illogical argument would show up.

I'm surprised it took this long.

jhildebrand
03-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Yep. We should be listening to a guy named Peytonator. He has a losing record in the PO's and has less SB's than Eli. Why is that? :confused: Because he WAS the cap in Indy. I am all for Peyton being here but not at the cost that he was in Indy.

Eli will retire with more hardware.

dogfish
03-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Von Miller is getting anxious too, I guess. According to NFL Network he tweeted something along the lines that we need to get Manning and Mario Williams. If EFX was willing to throw down the cash for both, Von said he would play for free this year. I don't think he was kidding. He really wants the Broncos in the Superbowl so he's willing to play for free to bring in top talent.

muahah, stupid rook! he'll get david garrard and jason hunter, and like it. . .

and if we had scouts half as good as those teams, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place-- just sayin'. . . ;)

also, new england does not build solely through the draft. . . guys like rodney harrison, ted washington, corey dillon, randy moss and others have always supplanted their core. . .

green bay got charles woodson, one of their best players, in free agency. . .

some judicious addition of talent doesn't betray your ability to build through the draft when you're fitty mil below the cap. . . we're going to have to spend next year anyway, once the salary floor is instituted. . . what young studs do we have that are going to be so pricey to keep? we gonna pay clady like an all-pro, even though he no longer plays like one? is knowshon up for a big deal? :laugh: we gonna risk losing beadles if we pay dan connor now?

sneakers
03-14-2012, 11:39 PM
What's the deal here guys? If you want Manning to come here, pony up some money to build a stronger roster. I don't get it. Bunkley is up for anyone right now. He is a must sign. I can understand letting your other guys walk, but your team has holes in it; DT, LB, CB, S, OG, C, WR, TE. That's a lot of holes. Fill some of them in free agency. That's what free agency's purpose is....especially when you have 50 mil.

I'm not even talking about signing the Carl Nicks and Vincent Jacksons of the world. You don't have to break the bank to get good players. I just don't see how a team in your cap position, can't even sign 1 or 2 people. The fact that Peyton Manning might be on the horizon shouldn't even matter. The most he'd possibly cost in a year is 20 mil. That still leaves 30 mil for other guys. Why is Elway dragging his feet?

Stephen Tulloch/Dan Conner - MLB
Erin Henderson - OLB (Cut Williams poor character self and free up another 5 mil)
Jason Jones/Derek Landry - DT
Brandon Carr - CB
Mike Adams/Craig Steltz - S
Chris Myers - C
Evan Mathis/Geoff Schwartz - OG
Joel Dreessen - TE

All these guys can be had, and when you can get a quality player at an affordable rate, you pull the f***ing trigger.
http://30.media.tumblr.com/zWT8EGZhvoi7wn04iaYhIPZYo1_500.jpg

Broncos Mtnman
03-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Broncos tiptoe slowly into free agency as they await word from Peyton Manning

By Associated Press, Wednesday, March 14, 5:25 PM

DENVER — The Denver Broncos have been rather silent so far in free agency as they wait on word from Peyton Manning.

With needs to fill and money to spend — approximately $40 million of cap space — they’ve pretty much taken a wait-and-see approach as their top prize weighs his options.

read here..... Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/broncos-tiptoe-slowly-into-free-agency-as-they-await-word-from-peyton-manning/2012/03/14/gIQAGMlmCS_story.html?tid=pm_sports_pop)

DenBronx
03-15-2012, 12:21 AM

DENVER — The Denver Broncos have been rather silent so far in free agency as they wait on word from Peyton Manning.

With needs to fill and money to spend — approximately $40 million of cap space — they’ve pretty much taken a wait-and-see approach as their top prize weighs his options.

read here..... Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/broncos-tiptoe-slowly-into-free-agency-as-they-await-word-from-peyton-manning/2012/03/14/gIQAGMlmCS_story.html?tid=pm_sports_pop)

Why do all of these reporters keep saying approximately 40 mill?

Wasnt it like 46 mill??? They keep approximately shorting us 6 or so mill when we havent signed anyone. Not even Bunkley.

Medford Bronco
03-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Broncos look like fools

If Meriweather comes than I agree wholeheardedly

Lancane
03-15-2012, 01:10 AM
I believe with those we've let walk it's closer to 57 million, we've re-signed no one. I have to admit DB that I'm a little disappointed with the moves. Hell, we've had two meetings, both with safeties that are not the best of the bunch. It's not like they have to go after even first tier free agents, I'd be happy to hear they're meeting with the likes of Dan Connor, Mackenzy Bernadeau, Zach Potter, Dallas Clark, Derek Landri, Sammy Lee-Hill, Manny Lawson, Philip Wheeler, Tracy Porter, William Gay, William Middleton, Steve Gregory, Courtney Green, BenJarvus Green-Ellis...hell, they can not even get a deal done with Brodrick Bunkley one of our own key free agents.

This is one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to the cap restrictions next season, teams will have to spend 99% of the cap or be penalized...no more of this 'Blue-Light Special' bullshit!

bcbronc
03-15-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm okay with this patient approach to free agency, especially when they still have a shot at Manning. A few guys I would have liked to see here have signed elsewhere, but most of them either signed deals that don't make sense in Denver or wanted to stay where they were. Still plenty of names out there, not even including the Mannings and Marios of the world, that can still make this a successful UFA period.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Manning is really kinda gumming up the works right now. I honestly feel that the Broncos FO are willing to spend some of that $50 million, they just don't know what to spend it on, yet. If Manning signs with us, they will use it to acquire as many players that he wants/needs to be successful as well as ones that fit whatever "scheme" we're going to run offensively. I think money will be spent on the passing game (receiving TE, one or two more WRs that he likes).

If he doesn't sign here, I think we go in a different direction and spend more on the defense and the running game as we move forward with Tebow. We can get a lot of players for the money we'd be spending on Manning that would be instant upgrades to the defense. Guys like Curtis lofton to play MLB, Tracy Porter at CB, Laron Landry at Safety, even jason Jones at DT - we could sign two, if not three of those guys for the price of one Manning.

The problem now is that the Broncos FA is like eBay. They put in a huge bid on Manning and can't bid on anything else high-priced until the auction is over. They're standing there waving a fistful of cash at Manning but they don't know if they'll get him. I don't mind the conservative approach to this, but I hope Manning makes his decision today. I'm tired of waiting on this guy. It would be different if this was a healthy, 30 year old Manning as opposed to a Manning that is coming off injury and might have 2 good seasons left in him.

The Peytonator
03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
I believe with those we've let walk it's closer to 57 million, we've re-signed no one. I have to admit DB that I'm a little disappointed with the moves. Hell, we've had two meetings, both with safeties that are not the best of the bunch. It's not like they have to go after even first tier free agents, I'd be happy to hear they're meeting with the likes of Dan Connor, Mackenzy Bernadeau, Zach Potter, Dallas Clark, Derek Landri, Sammy Lee-Hill, Manny Lawson, Philip Wheeler, Tracy Porter, William Gay, William Middleton, Steve Gregory, Courtney Green, BenJarvus Green-Ellis...hell, they can not even get a deal done with Brodrick Bunkley one of our own key free agents.

This is one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to the cap restrictions next season, teams will have to spend 99% of the cap or be penalized...no more of this 'Blue-Light Special' bullshit!

Yeah that's what I'm saying. They don't have to go after the big names, but at least fill the holes with good football players. Derek Landri would give you some interior pass rush. Dan Conner upgrades the MLB spot. As a former Colts fan, I can tell you that Philip Wheeler is a quality OLB and he can rush the passer when called upon. There's plenty of guys to bring in, and they haven't done shit.

BroncoStud
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree. It's time to start bringing in some help.

MOtorboat
03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I agree. It's time to start bringing in some help.

On defense, I'd like to see a little movement.

Offense? We don't even know what type of offense this team will run. And yes, that depends on Manning.

slim
03-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Why do all of these reporters keep saying approximately 40 mill?

Wasnt it like 46 mill??? They keep approximately shorting us 6 or so mill when we havent signed anyone. Not even Bunkley.

Yes, 40 is approximately 46....

Mike
03-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Offense? We don't even know what type of offense this team will run. And yes, that depends on Manning.

We need help at S, CB, LB, and DT. We need help on o-line, WR, RB, and it wouldn't hurt to upgrage at receiving TE.

We haven't even resigned any of our own players. Excuses only get you so far. So far, our FO is doing nothing but sitting on their thumbs.

BroncoStud
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Connor, Adams, Bunkley, Wimbley, Lofton, Jones, Tolbert, Bush, Hill, Lawson, Tulloch... Any of these guys would make us a better team.

Traveler
03-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Anyone know what our cap space really is? I've read that we have as "little" as $38 million to as much as $50 million.

Lancane
03-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Anyone know what our cap space really is? I've read that we have as "little" as $38 million to as much as $50 million.

Originally I believe it was 47 million, but with the space cleared and the free agents the team has thus far not re-signed they're closer to about 57 million, that ten or so million is probably not counted as it's expected to be used to re-sign a good number of our own free agents.

Dapper Dan
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Everyone here says 50 million. ESPN said 38 million. Woody Paige said 43 million. I don't believe anyone.

We sure do have a lot of holes to fill all of a sudden. Is no one up for letting young guys get better? Or should we go ahead and replace them with Free Agents? Maybe, just maybe, the Front Office knows more than we do. They aren't literally sitting on their thumbs, people. But I'm sure someone could photoshop it.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-15-2012, 01:02 PM
the chubby red head on ESPN said 50mil

Dapper Dan
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
the chubby red head on espn said 50mil

me gusta

HORSEPOWER 56
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally I believe it was 47 million, but with the space cleared and the free agents the team has thus far not re-signed they're closer to about 57 million, that ten or so million is probably not counted as it's expected to be used to re-sign a good number of our own free agents.

The sad part is, we haven't even done that. We've been in negotiations with Bunkley for what, 3 days now (supposedly, we were trying to get Bunkley re-signed before FA even started)?

I can understand not going wild with big $ guys right off the bat with Manning still on hold, but the fact that we had to franchise tag Prater to keep him from leaving and haven't signed a single one of our own UFAs (we did tender a couple of RFAs) is kinda fishy. Especially with DJ Williams potentially missing 6 games, we can't even bring Woodyard back for some insurance?

I've got this feeling that the FO has completely banked on Manning and by the time Peytatohead makes up his mind, we'll be looking into the 3rd and 4th tier for players. There are some real positions of need that we could fill right now, Manning or not, like CB, Safety, and MLB and should be pursuing these guys. If we try to rely too much on the draft, we'll end up with a bunch of rookie starters again, some of which won't be ready (aka Rahim Moore).

wayninja
03-15-2012, 03:48 PM
The sad part is, we haven't even done that. We've been in negotiations with Bunkley for what, 3 days now (supposedly, we were trying to get Bunkley re-signed before FA even started)?

I can understand not going wild with big $ guys right off the bat with Manning still on hold, but the fact that we had to franchise tag Prater to keep him from leaving and haven't signed a single one of our own UFAs (we did tender a couple of RFAs) is kinda fishy. Especially with DJ Williams potentially missing 6 games, we can't even bring Woodyard back for some insurance?

I've got this feeling that the FO has completely banked on Manning and by the time Peytatohead makes up his mind, we'll be looking into the 3rd and 4th tier for players. There are some real positions of need that we could fill right now, Manning or not, like CB, Safety, and MLB and should be pursuing these guys. If we try to rely too much on the draft, we'll end up with a bunch of rookie starters again, some of which won't be ready (aka Rahim Moore).

You would think Manning would understand the position this puts teams in waiting for his answer. I know he could care less about whoever he doesn't choose, but it can't be helping the team he eventually does pick...

DallasChief
03-15-2012, 04:10 PM
You would think Manning would understand the position this puts teams in waiting for his answer. I know he could care less about whoever he doesn't choose, but it can't be helping the team he eventually does pick...

Seems like Tennessee and Miami are still out signing people.

Dzone
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
If we snooze and lose Bunkley that is going to suck the big one

wayninja
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Seems like Tennessee and Miami are still out signing people.

Miami isn't in the race as far as I'm concerned, and Tennessee is signing people, it appears, in order to entice manning.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-peyton-manning-free-agency-domino-effect-20120315,0,3588332.story

SpringsBroncoFan
03-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Your wish has been granted by the Broncos with the signing of safety Adams...

Of course, after we cut Dawk Broncos will have even more cap space... :shocked:

SpringsBroncoFan
03-15-2012, 11:36 PM

Lancane
03-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Dawkins is a free agent already, he was contemplating retirement and had decided last we knew, one way or the other.

If we sign Trufant though, there will be a good chance that a certain overrated cornerback who makes too much will be cut.

DenBronx
03-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Dawks no longer under contract.

Doubt he will play again.....gonna miss him on the field.

bcbronc
03-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Lan, I don't think Trufant would make Champ expendable. :vroam:

Lancane
03-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Lan, I don't think Trufant would make Champ expendable. :vroam:

:target: Very funny grasshopper...

SpringsBroncoFan
03-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Dawkins is a free agent already, he was contemplating retirement and had decided last we knew, one way or the other.

If we sign Trufant though, there will be a good chance that a certain overrated cornerback who makes too much will be cut.

Lol, at least we aren't as bad off as Dallas paying 10 mil to save 6 mil (Newman) and still being stuck with another bum in the secondary making 4.9 mil (Scandrick).

Simple Jaded
03-16-2012, 03:47 AM

With his greatness the Broncos are a playoff team/SB contender, without his greatness they're an 8-8 team with garbage for an offense, so the Broncos are in a holding pattern. Face the facts, players won't be lining up to be a part of that.

Personally, l wouldn't mind if the Broncos stay conservative until Manning makes a decision. If they land Manning they should swing for the fences, if they're stuck with Tebow they might as well concentrate on the draft and hold on to the cap space for when impact free agents actually take them seriously.......

BroncoStud
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Manning has won 1 Super Bowl since 1999. He has had a say in the talent around him and the offensive system he ran for most of his career (post Jim Mora). It isn't like signing Manning assures ANYONE of a Super Bowl appearance, because even with the pieces he likes around him there is only 1 trophy. That was when he was young and healthy, as well.

So while I think it is clearly still an elite QB if healthy, don't act like spending $25 MILLION or so a year for Manning will put the Broncos in the Super Bowl, because the statistical probabilities are that it won't. We may get 2 good years out of Manning, which would be sweet, but if he eats up too much of our salary cap there won't be enough pieces around him to make the difference and give Denver the edge it needs. I still think Tebow could factor HUGE for Denver in redzone and short yardage situations with Manning here. He could line up in the backfield, as H-Back, as Wildcat, the options are limitless.

We need to add some WRs and some pass-catching TEs.