PDA

View Full Version : Finding the Right Fit

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8929

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Andre' Goodman and Renaldo Hill have tasted the playoffs in the NFL. It just took them seven and eight years, respectively, to do so.

So when it came time to find a new home in free agency, the teammates knew exactly what they were looking for -- a winner.

"The difference between the winning teams and the losing teams is finding a way in those tough positions to get the 'W,'" Hill said.

In Denver, Hill saw an opportunity to come in and be a part of the veteran voice on a talented yet fairly young NFL team. The idea of teaming up with players like Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins in the defensive secondary was too good to pass up.

In fact, Dawkins was on the same visit to Denver as Hill.

"We just both felt electric energy about being here, and what this team can possibly be," said Hill, who joined the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent on March 2.

Goodman felt the same way after his visit, but he also saw the opportunity to continue playing football with a close friend. So one day after Hill became a Bronco, Goodman came aboard as well.

"I called him as soon as I signed," the eighth-year cornerback said with a smile.

It shouldn't come as a surprise -- Goodman and Hill have developed quite a rapport over the past three seasons. The two defensive backs arrived in Miami as free agents during a tenuous time in 2006, then-Head Coach Nick Saban's final year. That 6-10 campaign was followed by a 1-15 season in 2007 that brought wholesale changes on the coaching staff, front office and roster in Miami. But Goodman and Hill made the cut, and they would soon prove why.

In 2008, Goodman started 16 games and Hill started 15 as the Dolphins put together a remarkable season that included winning streaks of two, four and five games en route to an 11-5 record that earned an AFC East division crown and a subsequent playoff berth.

Goodman led the club with a career-high five interceptions and 19 pass breakups, stats that tied for sixth and seventh, respectively, in the entire NFL last season. Hill tied for second on the team with three interceptions and tied for third on the club with 74 tackles.

But it wasn't just about their stats -- it was about the leadership the two brought in the secondary.

"He's by far the best communicating safety I've played with, and we know what type of situation we had to deal with in Miami in terms of trying to turn the organization around," Goodman said of Hill. "I know how committed he is as a player. He's not a me guy -- it's not about him, it's about a group."

And that mentality is what has the Broncos excited about the former Dolphins. Both players were at the forefront of one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history -- a 10-game improvement -- and they tasted the playoffs, something the Broncos have been hungering for the past few seasons.

Having jumped from losing team to losing team -- Goodman suffered through six sub-.500 seasons with Detroit and Miami and Hill spent seven losing seasons with Arizona, Oakland and Miami before 2008's playoff berth -- both players said it's easy to tell the difference when you're on a winner.

"I think the biggest thing this past year was guys buying in, guys being accountable for going out there and doing their job," Hill said. "Knowing in those tight situations that we're going to win the ballgame, no matter what."

And that knowledge could serve well in the locker room. Goodman said setting the attitude early on can set the tone for the entire year.

"Whether you're trying to turn something around or you're trying to repeat as champions, it's all about want-to," Goodman said. "The drive doesn't stop. At the end of the day we all start even with a fresh slate, and the guys who want it the most will be the guys that work the hardest and sacrifice the most."

And according to both players, that starts now.

Whether it's working hard in the weight room, watching extra film, meeting with coaches or even just getting familiar with teammates to start the bonding process, as Head Coach Josh McDaniels said at the first team meeting of 2009 -- the season starts now.

And part of the goal for the season is a 180-degree turnaround for a defense that ranked near the bottom of the league in 2008. With newcomers like Goodman, Hill and Dawkins, the hope is that the secondary can be the focal point of that defensive resurgence.

"There's no reason why we shouldn't be," Hill said. "There's a lot of games that have been played by all these guys on the back end. There's a lot of good experience -- a lot of guys have been on winning teams, playoff teams. We should definitely be able to make a name for ourselves back there this year."

So in essence, many of the same reasons that inspired the two former Dolphins to don a different shade of Orange and Blue are what will drive them throughout the offseason and into 2009 campaign.

"The motivation I think is knowing the pieces we have in place, this can be a well-oiled machine," Hill said. "Just go out there and get what we need to do each week done."

Traveler
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8929

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Andre' Goodman and Renaldo Hill have tasted the playoffs in the NFL. It just took them seven and eight years, respectively, to do so.

So when it came time to find a new home in free agency, the teammates knew exactly what they were looking for -- a winner.

"The difference between the winning teams and the losing teams is finding a way in those tough positions to get the 'W,'" Hill said.

In Denver, Hill saw an opportunity to come in and be a part of the veteran voice on a talented yet fairly young NFL team. The idea of teaming up with players like Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins in the defensive secondary was too good to pass up.

In fact, Dawkins was on the same visit to Denver as Hill.

"We just both felt electric energy about being here, and what this team can possibly be," said Hill, who joined the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent on March 2.

Goodman felt the same way after his visit, but he also saw the opportunity to continue playing football with a close friend. So one day after Hill became a Bronco, Goodman came aboard as well.

"I called him as soon as I signed," the eighth-year cornerback said with a smile.

It shouldn't come as a surprise -- Goodman and Hill have developed quite a rapport over the past three seasons. The two defensive backs arrived in Miami as free agents during a tenuous time in 2006, then-Head Coach Nick Saban's final year. That 6-10 campaign was followed by a 1-15 season in 2007 that brought wholesale changes on the coaching staff, front office and roster in Miami. But Goodman and Hill made the cut, and they would soon prove why.

In 2008, Goodman started 16 games and Hill started 15 as the Dolphins put together a remarkable season that included winning streaks of two, four and five games en route to an 11-5 record that earned an AFC East division crown and a subsequent playoff berth.

Goodman led the club with a career-high five interceptions and 19 pass breakups, stats that tied for sixth and seventh, respectively, in the entire NFL last season. Hill tied for second on the team with three interceptions and tied for third on the club with 74 tackles.

But it wasn't just about their stats -- it was about the leadership the two brought in the secondary.

"He's by far the best communicating safety I've played with, and we know what type of situation we had to deal with in Miami in terms of trying to turn the organization around," Goodman said of Hill. "I know how committed he is as a player. He's not a me guy -- it's not about him, it's about a group."

And that mentality is what has the Broncos excited about the former Dolphins. Both players were at the forefront of one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history -- a 10-game improvement -- and they tasted the playoffs, something the Broncos have been hungering for the past few seasons.

Having jumped from losing team to losing team -- Goodman suffered through six sub-.500 seasons with Detroit and Miami and Hill spent seven losing seasons with Arizona, Oakland and Miami before 2008's playoff berth -- both players said it's easy to tell the difference when you're on a winner.

"I think the biggest thing this past year was guys buying in, guys being accountable for going out there and doing their job," Hill said. "Knowing in those tight situations that we're going to win the ballgame, no matter what."

And that knowledge could serve well in the locker room. Goodman said setting the attitude early on can set the tone for the entire year.

"Whether you're trying to turn something around or you're trying to repeat as champions, it's all about want-to," Goodman said. "The drive doesn't stop. At the end of the day we all start even with a fresh slate, and the guys who want it the most will be the guys that work the hardest and sacrifice the most."

And according to both players, that starts now.

Whether it's working hard in the weight room, watching extra film, meeting with coaches or even just getting familiar with teammates to start the bonding process, as Head Coach Josh McDaniels said at the first team meeting of 2009 -- the season starts now.

And part of the goal for the season is a 180-degree turnaround for a defense that ranked near the bottom of the league in 2008. With newcomers like Goodman, Hill and Dawkins, the hope is that the secondary can be the focal point of that defensive resurgence.

"There's no reason why we shouldn't be," Hill said. "There's a lot of games that have been played by all these guys on the back end. There's a lot of good experience -- a lot of guys have been on winning teams, playoff teams. We should definitely be able to make a name for ourselves back there this year."

So in essence, many of the same reasons that inspired the two former Dolphins to don a different shade of Orange and Blue are what will drive them throughout the offseason and into 2009 campaign.

"The motivation I think is knowing the pieces we have in place, this can be a well-oiled machine," Hill said. "Just go out there and get what we need to do each week done."

Thanks DNC.

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Great article.

IMO i feel that these two guys should have not been signed by us. Goodman is coming off an excellent year, but he's the same age as Champ. And Renaldo Hill, ugh, he's a lame excuse for a safety. He has no ball skills, he doesnt tackle, and he's too slow to be a corner (he's a converted corner). I hope those two find prominence in Nolan's defense, because we need all the help we can get over there.

Thanks for the Cutler diversion :salute: