PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't McD like Jay in the first place?

D1g1tal j1m
04-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Was it the bad haircut?
Was it the fact that the Franchise QB had a health issue (diabetes)?
Was it the allegations of Jay liked to throw back some brewskies?
Was it that Jay didn't like constructive criticism on his play?
Was it his inattentiveness when discussions went toward the new playbook?
Did Jay beat McD at Guitar Hero?

shank
04-02-2009, 11:52 AM
unanswerable.

lex
04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Was it the bad haircut?

...No one likes being called "Shanahan-wannabe".

Medford Bronco
04-02-2009, 11:54 AM
?

I would say these 2 stand out. If you are an NFL QB and cant take any criticism to get better, then you are going to have have problems. All the "talent" in the world does not fix that.

Also not even wanting to give the new playbook a try. I think Jay could have been great in this offense, but he can enjoy being great or allegedly great in Wash, Det or SF.

One thing is he will get sacked more, that is for sure. I wonder if he ends up in the NFC east, how much he will like facing tough defenses twice a year in the Giants and Eagles and even Dallas has a decent defense.

It sure will be harder than SD without Merriman and those classic Ds of the Raiders and Chiefs in 08.

He wont have Brandon Marshall to rescue him anymore either.

tubby
Diabetic drunk with the maturity of an 8th grader.

BeefStew25
I bet Cutler doesn't like the Jungle and balked at becoming a Clone.

Rex
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I bet Cutler doesn't like the Jungle and balked at becoming a Clone.

Man's game.

tubby
Without the nicks and cuts of a blaaaade.

roomemp
Cutler takes way too many chances.

honz
04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
unanswerable.

We also don't know if McD really didn't like him. He may have liked Jay, but not as much as Matt Cassel and a 1st or second round pick. McD may be telling the truth when he said that they were never that serious about trading Cutler...or maybe not. Who knows what to believe anymore.

Elevation inc
04-02-2009, 11:58 AM
its simple he wasnt his qb, he had nothing invested in jay...period!!!

i dont think this is about what MCD did or didnt like. I think its simply MCD feels this is his team and he wants to make his mark, instead of having to worry about well MCd is winning becasue he had jay, who was a shanny protege.....

i just dont belive MCD was commited in the first place......to jay.....MCd played it as a buisness and jay just did as well. the more i think about it the more i realize....

NEw regimes = New QB one way or another......

lex
04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
its simple he wasnt his qb, he had nothing invested in jay...period!!!

i dont think this is about what MCD did or didnt like. I think its simply MCD feels this is his team and he wants to make his mark, instead of having to worry about well MCd is winning becasue he had jay, who was a shanny protege.....

i just dont belive MCD was commited in the first place......to jay.....MCd played it as a buisness and jay just did as well. the more i think about it the more i realize....

NEw regimes = New QB one way or another......

And all that goes back to why this is Bowlens screw up. Bowlen has been caught in numerous lies by blindly signing off on everything little napolean does.

weazel
04-02-2009, 12:05 PM
OMG.... He had a chance at getting a QB he had a rapport with. He knew that Cassel could run his offense and frankly, did not know if Cutler could. This happens in all levels of all sports, a new coach brings in players he is comfortable with.

Why is it so hard for some of you to understand this?

BroncoJoe
04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Cutler kept picking his nose during their first meeting.

OB

Who apparently sucks at guitar hero - for shame :tsk:

skycoyote
McD is a power freak and he has very little coaching experience. Jay wanted out because he knew McD would be a 2 year wonder and then be released and then a new system would be implemented with the same mistakes. I think Jay wants off the Bowlen roller coaster which is just getting started.

Elevation inc
04-02-2009, 12:09 PM
And all that goes back to why this is Bowlens screw up. Bowlen has been caught in numerous lies by blindly signing off on everything little napolean does.

in a way your right and personally i fault bowlen more than jay or MCD.

MCD was given full reign, and like any normal green rookie coach, didnt realize the seriousness of that role.

Cutler realized to late and played the business card right back.....

this could have all been avoided if bowlen knew a little bit about football and wasnt trying to recreate shanny in a form he could feel good about.

he rushed this from the get go....and conceded power way to quickly.....

personally i like bowlen alot, but for me this issue is on him much more than the pawns cutler and MCD that were invloved.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
My relationship with Jay turned for the worse when he was diagnosed with diabetes and ditched hanging out with me to talk ad schemes with Wilford Brimley at Liberty Medical. **** Jay for being a horrible friend.

roomemp
McD is a power freak and he has very little coaching experience. Jay wanted out because he knew McD would be a 2 year wonder and then be released and then a new system would be implemented with the same mistakes. I think Jay wants off the Bowlen roller coaster which is just getting started.

Yeah I am sure he much rather go to Detroit potentially

TXBRONC

Put your money where your mouth and prove that Jay is drunk. You've beaten this drum for a week now even though article that you quoted had that portion expunged within 24 hours of it being posted.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I guess you missed the pictures seeing Jay abusing alcohol big time.

weazel
04-02-2009, 12:26 PM

and losing at guitar hero

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 12:28 PM

Unlike you I don't judge by picture and unless you were there you have no idea what happened.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I have not seen the Guitar Hero picture. I do know that diabetics are scientifically worse at Guitar Hero than those who don't have the disease.

DIABETIC DRUNK IN ACTION

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jay_cutler.jpg

bcbronc
04-02-2009, 12:32 PM
and losing at guitar hero

and trading his insulin for methadone.

BroncoJoe
04-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Unlike you I don't judge by picture and unless you were there you have no idea what happened.

:rolleyes:

OB
04-02-2009, 12:56 PM
:lol: god he looks so wasted - Im guessin he prolly smokes weed too :tsk:

loser

Tempus Fugit
04-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Put your money where your mouth and prove that Jay is drunk. You've beaten this drum for a week now even though article that you quoted had that portion expunged within 24 hours of it being posted.

I believe that the portion you are noting was expunged was later put back into the article.

As for why McDaniels was so hard pressed to roll Cutler out on the next Rocky Mountain train to “Anywhere but Here-land” my source (with primary knowledge of these conversations) said there were consistent themes in the coach’s concerns about Cutler.

(Again this was relayed to my ears, from their ears. The following is what was heard by my source in these trade whispers, not what FOX31 cites as definite facts about Cutler.)

Two things that kept coming up were concerns about Cutler's alcohol consumption (given his diabetes) and "that's he not that (football) sharp."

"That scared the crap out of McDaniels,” the source told me.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Source-Secrets-Inside-Cutler-Trade-Talks/BLOG/220410/96399.html?as=96399

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I believe Larry Zimmer, who for many years, did the radio broadcast of the Bronco games, summed it up correctly, when he said:

http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/04/02/zimmer-rift-isnt-similar-to-reeves-elway/

“I think Pat finally has gotten disgusted with the whole thing,” Zimmer said. “I have known Pat for a long time and I’m surprised that he let it go this far. He hired Josh McDaniels and he had to stand behind him.

“But he also said at the time of (Mike) Shanahan’s firing that they wouldn’t do anything without Jay Cutler knowing about it.

Nomad
04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I believe Larry Zimmer, who for many years, did the radio broadcast of the Bronco games, summed it up correctly, when he said:

http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/04/02/zimmer-rift-isnt-similar-to-reeves-elway/

“I think Pat finally has gotten disgusted with the whole thing,” Zimmer said. “I have known Pat for a long time and I’m surprised that he let it go this far. He hired Josh McDaniels and he had to stand behind him.

“But he also said at the time of (Mike) Shanahan’s firing that they wouldn’t do anything without Jay Cutler knowing about it.

Your last line was a mistake by Bowlen. He should have told Jay he will use his best judgement to hire a coach and never let Jay in the loop. Football players need to remain on the field do their job as football players and not part of the FO decisions concerning hiring and firing of FO personnel (coaches, GMs, trainers).

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Your last line was a mistake by Bowlen. He should have told Jay he will use his best judgement to hire a coach and never let Jay in the loop. Football players need to remain on the field do their job as football players and not part of the FO decisions concerning hiring and firing of FO personnel (coaches, GMs, trainers).

I really believe that each organization keeps the players they consider their "franchise" players in the loop on everything that impacts them and the team. I would have to believe that Manning knew, before the announcement, that Dungy was calling it a day.

BroncoJoe
04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I really believe that each organization keeps the players they consider their "franchise" players in the loop on everything that impacts them and the team. I would have to believe that Manning knew, before the announcement, that Dungy was calling it a day.

That's a little different.

bcbronc
04-02-2009, 01:32 PM

but do you think the Colts' owner and GM are going to let Manning decide who replaced Dungy? Even though Manning is a Superbowl Champ, league MVP, and sure-fire HOFer, my money is on "no".

BroncoNut
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Was it the bad haircut?

In all honesty, I think that Jay hated McD from the start and McD sensed that.

slim
04-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Nut, would you please explain to us the finer points of the Tampa 2?

bcbronc
04-02-2009, 01:36 PM

it could be. Jay enjoyed playing for Shanny and Bates, and made that clear.

I also think the fact the Pats have played against Cutler, and BB is one of the top defensive minds of his era, really highlighted Cutler's weaknesses for McDaniels. I think McDaniels is confident in his own coaching ability, and feels he'd be able to help Jay improve. But I suspect McDaniels views Cutler as a project, not a polished gem.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I believe that the portion you are noting was expunged was later put back into the article.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Source-Secrets-Inside-Cutler-Trade-Talks/BLOG/220410/96399.html?as=96399

Interesting no one else has picked up on this.

BroncoJoe
04-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Now that's the most relevant thing you've said since this started.

Nomad
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM

True! And he probably wouldn't have liked any other coach not named Shannahan.

BroncoNut
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Nut, would you please explain to us the finer points of the Tampa 2?

well, I've heard that they are less bulky than conventional pads

BroncoNut
04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
True! And he probably wouldn't have liked any other coach not named Shannahan.

there might be some truth to that. I don't think he liked a younger guy like Josh calling the shots.

tubby
04-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Interesting no one else has picked up on this.

The entire NFL knows. Let alone the city of Denver.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM
The entire NFL knows. Let alone the city of Denver.

Yeah that's why hasn't been reported anywhere else. :rolleyes:

Requiem / The Dagda
Yeah it has dude.

Rex
Yeah it has dude.

pwned

You rock Dreamero.

tubby
04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah that's why hasn't been reported anywhere else. :rolleyes: