PDA

View Full Version : Which players in the last 5 drafts were worthy of the #1 pick?

omac
04-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Just as a distraction, maybe to cool things down a bit with some of the emotion on the boards, I was thinking ... with the risk of the #1 pick, in hindsight, who were the players in the last 5 drafts who would definitely be your #1 pick? I put this in the Broncos section, because in my list, Cutler and Clady would be there.

Here's a link to help out; just change 2004 all the way to 2008 ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft

Here's mine, the guys who would've been worth the #1 pick ....

2004 Ben Roethlisberger (this was tough; this had Fitz, Eli, Rivers, Steven Jackson, Jared Allen, Michael Turner, etc)

2005 Shawne Merriman (Lofa Tatupu, Aaron Rodgers, Gore)

2006 Jay Cutler (Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, Haloti Ngata)

2007 Adrian Peterson (Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, LaRon Landry, Patrick Willis)

2008 Ryan Clady (Matt Ryan, Jake Long)

DallasChief
04-02-2009, 07:00 AM
2008 Ryan Clady (Matt Ryan, Jake Long)

That appears to be completely unbiased. :coffee:

claymore
04-02-2009, 07:14 AM
That appears to be completely unbiased. :coffee:Clady's overated. I hope we trade him while the value is high.

omac
04-02-2009, 07:32 AM

Which one player each year do you have as worthy of the number one pick? 2008 had a ton of good RBs, but no one really worthy of the #1. I thought Clady outplayed Long, and a columnist mentioned that as impressed as he was with Thomas the previous year, Clady was even better.

You have to remember, Clady, in his rookie season, took on some of the top DEs and beat them. For the season, he's only given up I think 2 sacks, and had 1 penalty called on him, or something like that. Considering the Broncos were passing a ton last season, that should've gotten the QB sacked more often, but our OL, with Clady as the anchor, was excellent.

omac
04-02-2009, 07:33 AM
I know you won't say Albert was worthy of the number one pick, at least not yet anyway.

DallasChief
04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Which one player each year do you have as worthy of the number one pick? 2008 had a ton of good RBs, but no one really worthy of the #1. I thought Clady outplayed Long, and a columnist mentioned that as impressed as he was with Thomas the previous year, Clady was even better.

You have to remember, Clady, in his rookie season, took on some of the top DEs and beat them. For the season, he's only given up I think 2 sacks, and had 1 penalty called on him, or something like that. Considering the Broncos were passing a ton last season, that should've gotten the QB sacked more often, but our OL, with Clady as the anchor, was excellent.

And Matt Ryan took a 4-12 team to an 11-5 record and a trip to the playoffs.

DallasChief
04-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I know you won't say Albert was worthy of the number one pick, at least not yet anyway.

No, I'm not a gigantic homer.

omac
04-02-2009, 07:41 AM
And Matt Ryan took a 4-12 team to an 11-5 record and a trip to the playoffs.

I don't discount Ryan's performance, specially as a rookie, but Atlanta had it's base in strong running. He was coached not to make too many decisions, and to not lose the game, and he did that well. Sometimes, he did more than that, but the team's offense clicked because of Turner.

Come on, who you got for each year, 2004-2008? :cheers:

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 08:16 AM

DC it looks like you misread Omac's initial post. He gave his opinion (which I agree with) and then he opened it up to other opinions. I would like see your opinion as who you think was worthy of the number one pick rather than the smack.

DallasChief
04-02-2009, 08:17 AM
DC it looks like you misread Omac's initial post. He gave his opinion (which I agree with) and then he opened it up to other opinions. I would like see your opinion as who you think was worthy of the number one pick rather than the smack.

I thought I gave it when I said Matt Ryan. :coffee:

Rex
04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Clady's overated. I hope we trade him while the value is high.

I pray you are joking.

claymore
04-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I pray you are joking.

We dont need good LT's for McD's system either. Its tackle friendly.

Northman
04-02-2009, 09:42 AM
2004:
Larry Fitzgerald- Big Ben could of been but not knowing what he can do without a
great team around him im not really sure how great he really is. Larry though instantly
upgrades any poor team that he is on.

2005:
DeMarcus Ware- Probably would of been Merriman if not for the Roid issue.

2006:
DeAngelo Williams- Great back who spent a while sitting behind Foster and now
teamed up with Stewart are tearing up the league.

2007:
Patrick Willis- Great linebacker who seems to be everywhere and is a tackling machine.
Too bad he is on a really bad team.

2008:
Chris Long- Another victim of a bad team this guy is fast and can wreck havoc in the
backfield in the right situation

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I thought I gave it when I said Matt Ryan. :coffee:

I guess I missed, but there is still no call for the smack. :coffee:

Buff
04-02-2009, 10:09 AM

He should have included Jerod Mayo as well, but Clady will be a franchise LT for the next decade, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he could have been worthy of the #1 in retrospect.

Buff
04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
2008:
Chris Long- Another victim of a bad team this guy is fast and can wreck havoc in the
backfield in the right situation

Did he do anything last year? I don't remember hearing his name come up at all during the season.

Northman
04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Did he do anything last year? I don't remember hearing his name come up at all during the season.

He did as well as could be. I think he had limited time and considering the other problems on the team he just wasnt much of a factor. Thats why i say in a better situation he gets utilized much better and becomes more productive.

weazel
04-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Maurice Clarett deserves to be the #1 pick in each of the last 5 drafts!

Bill Devaroe
04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Clady's overated. I hope we trade him while the value is high.

I agree. I call him "Lady" because he is a big wet pus. I bet we could get lemon for him

Requiem / The Dagda
04-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Uncalled for Bill. That is a low blow.

Bill Devaroe
04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Uncalled for Bill. That is a low blow.

Sorry Cicero. I haven't had a drink yet today so I am a little grumpy.
Let me remedy that now!

FanInAZ
04-02-2009, 01:37 PM
A general rule of thumb is that it takes three to four seasons to know if someone is a bust or not. Throwing in the towel on anybody taken in '07 & '08 is premature.