PDA

View Full Version : Broncos announce bidding starts at 2 first round picks for Jay

Italianmobstr7
04-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Don't see this posted anywhere...

Just saw on ESPN NEWS that the Broncos have announced to all interested teams that they will accept nothing less than 2 first round picks for Cutler...

They also said the Broncos said that a QB is NOT neccessary in return...

And lastly they mentioned the Broncos are NOT interested in the #1 overall pick...

ikillz0mbies
04-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Good start. I don't think anyone in this draft is worth #1 pick money. Having the asking price for Cutler as 2 1st round picks is a great start.

What I am interested in though, is not getting a QB in return. It'll be interesting to see where they go to address the QB situation. Either having Simms be the temporary QB or perhaps drafting one. Who knows.

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Three first round picks total? Wow...

LordTrychon
04-02-2009, 02:25 AM

Well, one would probably be next year...

ikillz0mbies
04-02-2009, 02:28 AM

If they do, I hope they can get one in the top 5-10. I'd buy everyone a round of drinks AND pizza if Aaron Curry got drafted by the Broncos. Then draft Raji a few picks after. Then Jackson. I don't know, too many scenarios to think of this late at night.

Benetto
04-02-2009, 02:36 AM
I just would rather not have Cutler gone...I know it's going to happen though...:tsk:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-23/Early-morning-Cutler-update.html

JKcatch724
04-02-2009, 02:45 AM
I just would rather not have Cutler gone...I know it's going to happen though...:tsk:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-23/Early-morning-Cutler-update.html

I feel ya man. It's gonna be REALLY weird when it actually does happen.

But this is the best thing they could have done at this point. Three first rounders (or two first rounders two straight years) is a hell of good way to start rebuilding your team. And that's the minimum we're gonna get...

omac
04-02-2009, 03:43 AM
I feel ya man. It's gonna be REALLY weird when it actually does happen.

But this is the best thing they could have done at this point. Three first rounders (or two first rounders two straight years) is a hell of good way to start rebuilding your team. And that's the minimum we're gonna get...

Nice to get a pick somewhere in the 15-20 range for two consecutive seasons. We'll need to do it with a team we expect to go about the 8-8 range this season.

CrazyHorse
04-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Detroits 2 firsts this year.

omac
04-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Detroits 2 firsts this year.

Denver doesn't want the #1 pick.

omac
04-02-2009, 04:33 AM
The Texans consistently go around 8-8, and they're in a tough division with the Titans and the Colts. Maybe my Matt Schaub scenario plays here again. :cheers:

CrazyHorse
04-02-2009, 04:39 AM

Couldn't they trade it to some team that does.

The Texans consistently go around 8-8, and they're in a tough division with the Titans and the Colts. Maybe my Matt Schaub scenario plays here again. :cheers:

The Texans seem to covet ex-Broncos. He would fit in there nicely with Kubiak.

omac
04-02-2009, 04:56 AM

Good call on the Texans and ex-Broncos, plus Kubiak's relationship with Pat will make the deal go down smoother.

On trading the #1 pick, no one wants it this year, because the perception is that no one in this draft class is worth the #1 pick. I think the last time the #1 pick was heavily coveted was the 2007 one, with Calvin Johnson (the next Jerry Rice), JaMarcus Russell (because of his performance in the bowl game, plus his big arm, and tall stature to see over the line), and Joe Thomas (the solid safe bet). Calvin, JaMarcus, and Joe were perceived to be head and shoulders above the rest of the class.

WARHORSE
04-02-2009, 05:14 AM
Don't see this posted anywhere...

Just saw on ESPN NEWS that the Broncos have announced to all interested teams that they will accept nothing less than 2 first round picks for Cutler...

They also said the Broncos said that a QB is NOT neccessary in return...

And lastly they mentioned the Broncos are NOT interested in the #1 overall pick...

Denver Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den) owner Pat Bowlen released a statement Tuesday saying both he and coach Josh McDaniels had been unable to get quarterback Jay Cutler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9597) to call them back over the past 10 days.

As a result, the team has decided to trade Cutler, who they are convinced "no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos."

Cutler and his agent have a different spin on the story, NFL senior analyst Chris Mortensen reports. Asked by text message whether Bowlen has directly tried to contact him, Cutler replied, "No."

His agent, Bus Cook, said the Broncos first got in touch with him on Tuesday.

"The perception that they've been burning the phone lines the last 10 days is wrong," Cook said. "In fact, the other day I asked Jay if he had heard from them and he said, 'no.'

I didn't hear from them until yesterday [Tuesday] morning when [GM] Brian Xanders called me and said that Mr. Bowlen needs to speak with Jay now. I told him all I can do is leave Jay a message.

"I didn't reach Jay directly -- I don't know what he was doing -- but I left a message. Then Brian called at the end of the day and asked me if I had heard from him. I hadn't.

I heard from Jay when he called to tell me he just saw on TV he was being traded. They can spin it the way they want to spin it."

A Broncos official scoffed at the notion that Bowlen didn't reach out directly to Cutler, suggesting that any owner would set up a call through a GM or a personal assistant.

Cutler told FoxSports.com on Wednesday night he did not think it would go this far.
"I was surprised they decided to trade me this soon," Cutler told FoxSports.com. "I didn't want to get traded. This wasn't me.

They [The Broncos] had been going back and forth saying things, wanting me to be their quarterback and then they didn't.

"I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

In the meantime, the Broncos have informed all interested teams that they want at least two first-round picks for Cutler and getting a quarterback in exchange is not a necessity, Mortensen reports.

A team source said it was possible Cutler could be traded as soon as Friday.

Mortensen is reporting the following teams' interest in Cutler:

• The Redskins are acting with urgency in their pursuit of Cutler but it doesn't appear the Broncos have interest in Jason Campbell. Consequently, even while the Redskins may be willing to offer two first-rounders for Cutler, they are trying to gauge interest elsewhere for Campbell. If the Broncos do deal with the Redskins, it would give them control of the 12th and 13th picks in the draft.

• The Lions are interested in Cutler and would be willing to send the Broncos the first pick in the draft. But the Broncos don't want it. Rather, the Broncos would ask for the Lions' second first-round pick (No. 20) and possibly their second-rounder (No. 33), or another first-round pick in 2010. The Lions don't believe they can financially bear the burden of paying for the first pick in this year's draft, as well as sign Cutler to a contract extension.

• The Jets and Buccaneers also are involved in talks with the Broncos.

• The Panthers have some level of interest and are not opposed to including defensive end Julius Peppers in trade discussions. However, even though the Broncos have a need for a player of Peppers' caliber, they are reluctant because signing Peppers to a new contract, a necessity to complete a trade with Carolina, is cost-prohibitive for the team.

Cutler has been unhappy ever since learning that McDaniels failed to inform him about trade talks in which the Broncos showed interest in Matt Cassel (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8644). Cassel wound up being traded by New England to Kansas City, and Cutler asked to be traded.

Still, McDaniels had faith he could repair the strained relationship with his temperamental quarterback -- if only he could get him to call him back. On Tuesday, he became convinced that just wasn't going to happen.

Cutler is halfway through the six-year, $48 million contract he signed as the 11th overall pick out of Vanderbilt in the 2006 draft. He's 17-20 as Broncos starter, although that's misleading because of Denver's dismal defense.

In games where the Broncos have allowed 21 points or fewer, Cutler is an impressive 13-1, and that only loss was to Green Bay in 2007 when the Packers won the coin toss and Brett Favre (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=112) threw an 82-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime.

Cutler set several franchise passing records last season, when he threw for 4,526 yards, 25 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. In his 37-game career in Denver, he's completed 62.5 percent of his passes for 9,024 yards, 54 TDs and 37 interceptions.

Cutler was upset when Shanahan was fired as coach, and even requested that members of Shanahan's offensive staff be retained, which didn't happen.
He had started to come around, meeting several times with McDaniels and expressing an eagerness to learn his intricate Patriots-style attack that will replace the West Coast system he's been running since he was a rookie.
That all changed when word leaked that McDaniels had spoken with the Patriots about Cassel.
At the NFL owners' meetings in Southern California last week, McDaniels said the team was committed to Cutler, although he said no options, including trades, were being ruled out.
"I've always been optimistic," McDaniels said at the NFL meetings. "He's on our team, he's under contract, and I understand there's things we have to work toward in our relationship."

claymore
04-02-2009, 06:38 AM
The Broncos have lost they're ******* minds.

Gamechanger
04-02-2009, 06:56 AM

too bad that if you shop him to the Texans ya'll would get Glass Schaub :hahaha:

OrangeStar7
04-02-2009, 07:30 AM

I like dreaming: First we get Detroit's two first round draft picks this year- # 1 and # 20 for JC.

Then, take MOTOWN's # 1 and trade down with it for say at least a top 10 and another top 15-20 pick, even if one of those is for next year- all just for Detroit's #1).

Then that would give us, at least, THREE # 1's THIS YEAR:
a) our # 12
b) two additional picks in the top 15-20 (for that # 1)!!

Not to mention a, likelier than not, Extra First Round One Pick next year, + our own, for a total of TWO FIRST ROUNDERS then!

We should be able to fix the D with two of the picks this year, and still draft a QB like Josh Freeman or Mark Sanchez, if going after a QB this year. If not, we could wait until 2010 for a QB, having 2 # 1 picks to find one.

Like I said, "I LIKE DREAMING!!" :laugh:

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Well, one would probably be next year...

More than likely, however if any interest party not named the Detroit Lions has two number one picks this year it's possible to procure three number ones in this year's draft.

CoachChaz
04-02-2009, 09:27 AM
More than likely, however if any interest party not named the Detroit Lions has two number one picks this year it's possible to procure three number ones in this year's draft.

That leaves the Eagles. Somehow, i just dont see them trading both picks AND McNabb for Cutler

weazel
04-02-2009, 09:27 AM
aee

OrangeHoof
04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Then, take MOTOWN's # 1 and trade down with it

But there's your problem. The #1 overall pick has become more a curse than a blessing because you have to pay the guy like an All-Pro whether he's worth the money or not so nobody wants that problem while there is a salary cap. Particularly in a down year, the #1 pick is virtually untradable so if you acquire Detroit's #1 with the hope of trading it, you're going to find yourself stuck with it and stuck with the cap ramifications.

tomjonesrocks
04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
The Broncos have lost they're ******* minds.

They have, and they've betrayed the fans as well.

OrangeHoof
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM
One of the things nobody is bringing up is that trading Cutler accelerates any bonus money he was supposed to be paid and applies it to this year's cap so the Broncos will have less money to use elsewhere. I don't know how much that is but I'll bet there were clauses put in that increased his bonus money if he was named to the Pro Bowl or threw over 30 TD passes or something like that.

The reason teams are reluctant to trade veteran players these days is because of the dead money it creates on the salary cap. In fact, I'd bet that has more to do with holding up a trade than simply trying to find the right trading partner.

bcbronc
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
time to bring back the Crush!

Superchop 7
04-02-2009, 10:31 AM
For Petes sake.

Take the #1 pick.

Let the clock run out.

Slide back.

You can pull the trigger whenever you want.

Just because you have the "rights" to the first pick, you are not "obligated" to "pick" first.

So, you end up at 7, 12, and 20.

You just improved the team dramatically.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 10:34 AM
One of the things nobody is bringing up is that trading Cutler accelerates any bonus money he was supposed to be paid and applies it to this year's cap so the Broncos will have less money to use elsewhere. I don't know how much that is but I'll bet there were clauses put in that increased his bonus money if he was named to the Pro Bowl or threw over 30 TD passes or something like that.

The reason teams are reluctant to trade veteran players these days is because of the dead money it creates on the salary cap. In fact, I'd bet that has more to do with holding up a trade than simply trying to find the right trading partner.

If Jay is traded we wont owe him anything.

Foochacho
04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
The only team I could see interested in going for the number 1 would be carolina since they don't have a first rounder this year. It would be great to work out a three way with detroit and carolina sending us Peppers and a first rounder. Doubt Carolina would be interested though, even though they would get rid of Peppers big hit on the cap they would be picking up another one.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
The only team I could see interested in going for the number 1 would be carolina since they don't have a first rounder this year. It would be great to work out a three way with detroit and carolina sending us Peppers and a first rounder. Doubt Carolina would be interested though, even though they would get rid of Peppers big hit on the cap they would be picking up another one.

If Denver isn't interested in obtaining the number one overall pick because of the cost, why would they be interested in bringing in Peppers who is going to be as expensive?

shank
04-02-2009, 11:32 AM
If Denver isn't interested in obtaining the number one overall pick because of the cost, why would they be interested in bringing in Peppers who is going to be as expensive?

because peppers is a proven commodity (maybe not at OLB, but you still know what you're getting). he #1 pick is a much bigger gamble.

Traveler
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm waiting for the actual trade to happen to see what the final compensation will be for the player.

Either this board will be ecstatic or will go apeshit! My uess is the latter.

tubby
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
For Petes sake.

Take the #1 pick.

Let the clock run out.

Slide back.

Just because you have the "rights" to the first pick, you are not "obligated" to "pick" first.

Love the idea but I'm not sure Bowlen wants to piss of every other owener in the league.

lex
04-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Love the idea but I'm not sure Bowlen wants to piss of every other owener in the league.

Why not? He's perfectly fine with pissing off 70% of his fanbase.

underrated29
04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Lex not sure if you noticed, or if thats what the red means. But we did not sign WR anderson from the texans. They matched our offer and kept him.

Foochacho
04-02-2009, 11:57 AM

What shawshank said. Peppers may agree to a long term cap friendly deal. While the number will be guaranteed a rediculous amount that he has yet to have earned.

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 01:23 PM
They also do not want Detroits #1 overall pick.

underrated29
04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
So we have to major options right now. WAS and NYJ. here are a couple scenarios that i see.

Was gives up: 1st,2nd,1st next year, player
Or
Was gives up: 1st, 1st next year, laron landry, 3rd.
or
Was give up: Campbell,1st,1st next year, player or 2nd or 3rd

NYJ give up: 2 1sts, 2nd, defensive player, ratliff or someone

Flatinum
04-02-2009, 01:41 PM

There's no way that 70% of Bronco fans are siding with Jay on this one.

The numbers have dwindled even more after his "I never wanted to get traded" bs interview yesterday.

claymore
04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I didnt want to start another thread.

Broncos Flooded With Cutler Inquiries
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 2:45 p.m.
The Denver Broncos reportedly are getting plenty of interest in quarterback Jay Cutler.

The interest is so intense that, according to Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Broncos are requesting communications only by text or e-mail.

“Nobody can get a call back,” one league source told Mulligan. ”It could mean something’s happening fast, or maybe they’re just overwhelmed.”

Mulligan also echoes the notion that the Broncos want to send Cutler to the NFC, just as the Packers wanted to ship Brett Favre out of the conference last year.

If it’s true that the Broncos are flooded with potential suitors from either conference, a valuable byproduct is that the activity has, to date, kept the team from continuing the ill-advised pissing match with Cutler over the question of whether he failed to return phone calls.

In fact, the Broncos would be wise to say nothing at all about the situation until the trade is announced.

Then again, they would have been wise to say nothing at any point in the process, other than, “Jay Cutler is our quarterback.”

So, basically, coach Josh McDaniels apparently didn’t learn all that much during his years with Bill Belichick.

getlynched47
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Lol at McDaniels saying, in the NFL Network interview, that Jay Cutler would be his Quarterback at the start of the NFL season :rolleyes:

what a shit face.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Watch your mouth Lynched. You're being a real jerk to my cousin Josh and I don't like it dood.

claymore
04-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Watch your mouth Lynched. You're being a real jerk to my cousin Josh and I don't like it dood.

Lure Josh to fargo and drown him TIA.

turftoad
04-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I didnt want to start another thread.

The Denver Broncos reportedly are getting plenty of interest in quarterback Jay Cutler.

The interest is so intense that, according to Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Broncos are requesting communications only by text or e-mail.

“Nobody can get a call back,” one league source told Mulligan. ”It could mean something’s happening fast, or maybe they’re just overwhelmed.”

Mulligan also echoes the notion that the Broncos want to send Cutler to the NFC, just as the Packers wanted to ship Brett Favre out of the conference last year.

If it’s true that the Broncos are flooded with potential suitors from either conference, a valuable byproduct is that the activity has, to date, kept the team from continuing the ill-advised pissing match with Cutler over the question of whether he failed to return phone calls.

In fact, the Broncos would be wise to say nothing at all about the situation until the trade is announced.

Then again, they would have been wise to say nothing at any point in the process, other than, “Jay Cutler is our quarterback.”

So, basically, coach Josh McDaniels apparently didn’t learn all that much during his years with Bill Belichick.

Man, Cutler must suck. All these teams must be really worried about his picks, fumbles and attitude huh. :tsk:

Bottom line is the guy is young 25yrs old and has all the potential in the world. Every other team out there see's it except for McDaniels. :tsk:

DenBronx
04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
i hope we settle for nothing less than two 1st rounders and a starting player.

claymore
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM

2 firsts from washington, Carlos rogers and a 2nd would be fair value to me.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

The Broncos don't have to settle for less because the leverage is on their side.

CoachChaz
04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
2 firsts from washington, Carlos rogers and a 2nd would be fair value to me.

If Snyder or anyone gives up this much for one player, they should immediately be fired.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
If Snyder or anyone gives up this much for one player, they should immediately be fired.

How do you fire the owner? Because sure if Synder can be fired, then Oakland wll be looking into doing the same.

CoachChaz
04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
How do you fire the owner? Because sure if Synder can be fired, then Oakland wll be looking into doing the same.

Yeah...rereading it, it does look stupid. The fired part was meant more towards a GM. An owner should be lynched by the fans.

BroncoJoe
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Proof? Denver Post poll shows nearly 60% are sick of Cutler and want him gone.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah...rereading it, it does look stupid. The fired part was meant more towards a GM. An owner should be lynched by the fans.

I didn't mean that to poke fun at you. I meant it as just a joke. If the Skins could fire Synder I have little doubt many inside the Raiders organizations would do the same for Al. :D

claymore
04-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Its a once in a lifetime trade for both teams. I think its fair value for Cutler. No sense in trading him for less than he is worth to us. Might as well try and get a little more.

turftoad
04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
This was posted by Clay in another thread. My response follows the quote.

Man, Cutler must suck. All these teams must be really worried about his picks, fumbles and attitude huh. :tsk:

Bottom line is the guy is young 25yrs old and has all the potential in the world. Every other team out there see's it except for McDaniels. :tsk:

Lonestar
04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
If Jay is traded we wont owe him anything.

think what he is trying to say is the accelerated signing bonus could hurt us .. But IIRC most of his money was in other forms roster, playoffs, pro bowl, % of snaps taken, passer rating.. and those would have been paid already as he achieved those bonuses..

OrangeHoof
04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
For Petes sake.

Take the #1 pick.

Let the clock run out.

Slide back.

That's just stupid because even if you slide down and don't pick until some other teams have chosen the player's agent for the guy we take is still going to demand the player be treated like the overall #1 choice. Ask the Vikings. They hiccuped a few times over this and it never helped them sign the player and led to a protracted holdout each time.