PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels Honeymoon Over

WARHORSE
04-02-2009, 01:57 AM
McDaniels' honeymoon period over

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post (ljones@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: McDaniels' honeymoon period over)
Posted: 04/02/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

Josh McDaniels might soon be free of his biggest headache, but that doesn't mean his challenges are ending.

McDaniels, not even three months into his job as the Broncos new coach, must reassure a somewhat divided locker room and win over a disgruntled fan base after he and the rest of the Broncos' brass have decided to trade quarterback Jay Cutler.

So much for the honeymoon period.
"A lot of people are upset with him," said Alfred Williams, a former Broncos defensive linemen who co-hosts a daily sports talk radio show.

"They just don't know him, and that's the bottom line."
Part of the healing process with players could start today, when players are scheduled to hold a meeting in which the Cutler saga surely will be addressed.

Nearly all of the 65 players on the Broncos' roster — including 18 new additions since the end of the 2008 season — have been participating in the team's offseason conditioning program at Dove Valley since March 16 without Cutler.

The players who have spoken publicly since Cutler failed to join them more than two weeks ago have said the feud between the quarterback and the coach hasn't been a distraction. But privately, there is concern of a split between players recently signed by McDaniels and the holdovers from the Mike Shanahan era.

"I'm sure there's a split, but I think one thing McDaniels has done for himself is there is no question who's in charge in that locker room," said former Bronco Mark Schlereth, an NFL analyst for ESPN.

"On the flip side of that, you also essentially, in the eyes of many guys who play, you ran the best player on your team out of town. I'm sure a lot of guys in that locker room that are thinking, 'You just took our best chance to win.' "

To make sure he doesn't lose the faith of the players who right now might be questioning his moves, McDaniels must be completely honest with his players, behind closed doors in meetings and in whatever future statements he makes to the media, said Hall of Fame defensive back Rod Woodson.

"He's going to have to really sit back and think about what he's saying every time he steps in front of a microphone, in front of players, even when he's addressing players one on one," Woodson said.

"There's no magical words that he can use to get these guys to fall in line and believe him."

Winning over fans will be equally challenging, said Williams, who said many of the callers to his midday radio show feel a strong disconnect with McDaniels.

McDaniels has held only one news conference in Denver — and that was at his introduction Jan. 12. The other two major media events have been at the NFL combine in Indianapolis in February and at the NFL owners meetings last week in California.

That hasn't been enough, Williams said.
"We're just trying to figure out who this guy is, what are his coaching philosophies, what kind of man is he, what kind of players he likes," Williams said.

"It's always good policy for the people in charge of the organization to speak with the fan base that supports them. There needs to be a voice that tells people what is going on with the program."

All three former players said all the speeches won't matter as much to either fans or current Broncos as the actions McDaniels takes in coming weeks and months.
"I want to see how we're on the path to winning. I want to see how our team is better without Jay Cutler," Schlereth said. "Do we get a quarterback? Do we get draft picks? Do we get a prominent defensive player?"

And then, of course, is the never-fail cure-all: results. But can the team, McDaniels and Broncos fans afford to wait more than five months until the regular season starts?
"He hasn't played a game yet. Unfortunately he came in and did the absolutely wrong thing," Woodson said. "It's repairable. But to repair anything, he's got to win football games."

lex
04-02-2009, 02:47 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12050978?source=rss

broncos
McDaniels' honeymoon period over
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/02/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels (Denver Post file photo)Related Articles
Apr 1:
Cutler: "I really didn't want this"Apr 2:
Bus Cook gets hand on wheelApr 1:
NFL buzzing about Cutler prospectsMar 31:
Bowlen: Cutler's good as goneKrieger: Pride and arrogance play outApr 1:
Let bidding for Cutler beginBroncos fans stand dividedMar 31:
Jackson: QB, coach not on good termsThe Cutler sweepstakesPossible replacements for CutlerTimeline: A look back at the Jay Cutler sagaBroncos to "begin discussions with other teams"Josh McDaniels might soon be free of his biggest headache, but that doesn't mean his challenges are ending.

McDaniels, not even three months into his job as the Broncos new coach, must reassure a somewhat divided locker room and win over a disgruntled fan base after he and the rest of the Broncos' brass have decided to trade quarterback Jay Cutler.

So much for the honeymoon period.

"A lot of people are upset with him," said Alfred Williams, a former Broncos defensive linemen who co-hosts a daily sports talk radio show. "They just don't know him, and that's the bottom line."

Part of the healing process with players could start today, when players are scheduled to hold a meeting in which the Cutler saga surely will be addressed.

Nearly all of the 65 players on the Broncos' roster — including 18 new additions since the end of the 2008 season — have been participating in the team's offseason conditioning program at Dove Valley since March 16 without Cutler. The players who have spoken publicly since Cutler failed to join them more than two weeks ago have said the feud between the quarterback and the coach hasn't been a distraction. But privately, there is concern of a split between players recently signed by McDaniels and the holdovers from the Mike Shanahan era.

"I'm sure there's a split, but I think one thing McDaniels has done for himself is there is no question who's in charge in that locker room," said former Bronco Mark Schlereth, an NFL analyst for ESPN. "On the flip side of that, you also essentially, in the eyes of many guys who play, you ran the best player on your team out of town. I'm sure a lot of guys in that locker room that are thinking, 'You just took our best chance to win.' "

To make sure he doesn't lose the faith of the players who right now might be questioning his moves, McDaniels must be completely honest with his players, behind closed doors in meetings and in whatever future statements he makes to the media, said Hall of Fame defensive back Rod Woodson.

"He's going to have to really sit back and think about what he's saying every time he steps in front of a microphone, in front of players, even when he's addressing players one on one," Woodson said. "There's no magical words that he can use to get these guys to fall in line and believe him."

Winning over fans will be equally challenging, said Williams, who said many of the callers to his midday radio show feel a strong disconnect with McDaniels.

McDaniels has held only one news conference in Denver — and that was at his introduction Jan. 12. The other two major media events have been at the NFL combine in Indianapolis in February and at the NFL owners meetings last week in California.

That hasn't been enough, Williams said.

"We're just trying to figure out who this guy is, what are his coaching philosophies, what kind of man is he, what kind of players he likes," Williams said. "It's always good policy for the people in charge of the organization to speak with the fan base that supports them. There needs to be a voice that tells people what is going on with the program."

All three former players said all the speeches won't matter as much to either fans or current Broncos as the actions McDaniels takes in coming weeks and months.

"I want to see how we're on the path to winning. I want to see how our team is better without Jay Cutler," Schlereth said. "Do we get a quarterback? Do we get

Post Poll - Trading Jay Cutler

Did Broncos owner Pat Bowlen make the right decision announcing he plans to trade disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler?

Yes: Please! Good riddance.
No: Please try to make amends.

draft picks? Do we get a prominent defensive player?"
And then, of course, is the never-fail cure-all: results. But can the team, McDaniels and Broncos fans afford to wait more than five months until the regular season starts?

"He hasn't played a game yet. Unfortunately he came in and did the absolutely wrong thing," Woodson said. "It's repairable. But to repair anything, he's got to win football games."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Posted already.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36420

Please stop.

lex
04-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Posted already.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36420

Please stop.

Stop what?

Shazam!
04-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Blowing smoke up Cutler's ass. I thought War was bad.

Lonestar
04-02-2009, 03:47 AM
merged

omac
04-02-2009, 03:51 AM
So he didn't see the other thread. Happens.

omac
04-02-2009, 03:56 AM
"He's going to have to really sit back and think about what he's saying every time he steps in front of a microphone, in front of players, even when he's addressing players one on one," Woodson said.

"There's no magical words that he can use to get these guys to fall in line and believe him."

Dawkins shouldn't ask him .. "Am I your safety?" ... "You're my safety, period." ... "Am I your safety for the future." ... "Anyone can be traded ..." :D

Just kidding. Give McDaniels some time. I really doubt he's as bad as Woody makes him out to be, and he'll win over the players eventually. :cheers:

Lonestar
04-02-2009, 04:06 AM
pardon the pun but alot of reporters have a woody for him..

Not that a mikey was all that verbose, But granting Josh has had his hands full and the past two weeks or so have been crazy.. he might want to have press conference and answer some questions about anything not jay at this point..

WARHORSE
04-02-2009, 04:23 AM
A lockeroom divided.

Thanks McMuffin.

You clown.

What do you do for an encore?

If I had one wish right now, Id be swinging a 100 lb halibut about three revolutions and then slapping the back of your head with it to produce a sound that would be proper for such a dumb thought as to trade Cutler for Cassell, only to send you careening into Bowlen and his tray of liquors. Then Id duct tape the cat to your head and set it on fire.................(take it easy cat lovers....I wouldnt let it burn very long and after it had done its job it would be ok just like in the movies):D

omac
04-02-2009, 04:29 AM

Not that a mikey was all that verbose, But granting Josh has had his hands full and the past two weeks or so have been crazy.. he might want to have press conference and answer some questions about anything not jay at this point..

Unfortunately, that might be all he'd be asked. :D

I think PR-wise, the best thing for all is to put on a show in front of the press, with McDaniels, Cutler, and Pat shaking hands after Cutler is traded. It will be plastic, but PR-wise, it might help ease McDaniels' and Cutler's transition into their new situations.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Doogie's mistake is costing this team it's best player, it's most important player, I don't see how the players can like that, especially vets like Weigmann and Champ Bailey who are seeing the end of their career coming into focus.

Everybody and their mother knew what this team needed, now they've taken a step backwards, they're a far worse team than they were before Doogie took over.......I don't see how the players could be divided, they should all be pretty pissed off, in the back of their minds most know that Cutler has not had the teams best interest in mind, but I'm sure they know who screwed the pooch.......

In-com-plete
04-02-2009, 07:14 AM
"Unfortunately he came in and did the absolutely wrong thing," Woodson said.

:werd:

claymore
04-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Doogie's mistake is costing this team it's best player, it's most important player, I don't see how the players can like that, especially vets like Weigmann and Champ Bailey who are seeing the end of their career coming into focus.

Everybody and their mother knew what this team needed, now they've taken a step backwards, they're a far worse team than they were before Doogie took over.......I don't see how the players could be divided, they should all be pretty pissed off, in the back of their minds most know that Cutler has not had the teams best interest in mind, but I'm sure they know who screwed the pooch.......

I seriously think we should trade Royal and Clady too. If we are going to blow the place up, might as well do it right.

omac
04-02-2009, 07:37 AM
I seriously think we should trade Royal and Clady too. If we are going to blow the place up, might as well do it right.

Don't joke, man. Truth be told, I've had this uneasy feeling about Ryan Harris remaining a Bronco, since McDaniels has stressed on getting the OL bigger, and mixing more gap with the zone; I know Harris is listed at 6'5, 300, but I'm not sure if that's enough for McDaniels. I keep thinking Wiegmann will be toast soon.

MOtorboat
04-02-2009, 07:40 AM

That press conference would be worthless, unless he was introducing a player. The reporters wouldn't ask questions that weren't Cutler related.

We'll probably have to wait until after the first round to hear from him about something non-Cutler related...

claymore
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
That press conference would be worthless, unless he was introducing a player. The reporters wouldn't ask questions that weren't Cutler related.

We'll probably have to wait until after the first round to hear from him about something non-Cutler related...

He will hear it the rest of his career unless Cutler is a massive flop at whatever team he goes to. Which is highly unlikely.

broncofaninfla
04-02-2009, 08:47 AM
This seems to be on topic with this thread, I posted this question to Vic Lombardi yesterday. Here is his response.

Have any of the Broncos players confided to you in confidence on who's side they support in the situation between Cutler and McDaniels?
Jimmy: No matter what they say publically - and per coach's orders they're not saying anything right now - players always support players. Always. They may not have gotten along with Cutler, but they all support Cutler. That's just the way the locker room works.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Unfortunately, that might be all he'd be asked. :D

I think PR-wise, the best thing for all is to put on a show in front of the press, with McDaniels, Cutler, and Pat shaking hands after Cutler is traded. It will be plastic, but PR-wise, it might help ease McDaniels' and Cutler's transition into their new situations.

Most definitely, McDaniels will get asked about Cutler incessantly. It will less to great degree if he wins but it wont disappear unless he wins a championship. Omac, I really don't think a staged hand shake will ease McDaniels transition because he has to win games.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
He will hear it the rest of his career unless Cutler is a massive flop at whatever team he goes to. Which is highly unlikely.

If and when Jay is moved it wont matter. The only way the question lessen is if his team wins games and the only way the question disappear is if he wins a championship. Anything short of a championship and questions about Cutler will never go away.

Nomad
04-02-2009, 09:09 AM
If and when Jay is moved it wont matter. The only way the question lessen is if his team wins games and the only way the question disappear is if he wins a championship. Anything short of a championship and questions about Cutler will never go away.

Hasn't Cutler already set his standard of play by comparing himself to Elway. This is what fans of other teams(and plenty of BRONCO fans), FO, and media will be expecting and anything else will be a wash. Sometimes it's better to keep one's mouth shut and let the play on the field speak for itself.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Hasn't Cutler already set his standard of play by comparing himself to Elway. This is what fans of other teams(and plenty of BRONCO fans), FO, and media will be expecting and anything else will be a wash. Sometimes it's better to keep one's mouth shut and let the play on the field speak for itself.

No Cutler never compared his standard of play with that of Elway, if that's what you think then you've misread what Jay said. Also I don't see how that relates to McDaniels being asked questions about Cutler if and when he is traded. The questions will keep coming if Jay is traded. They will more than likely lessen if McDaniels starts winning games but they wont disappear unless he wins a championship.

OrangeHoof
04-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Part of the incompetence I'm seeing from Dove Valley is that they haven't already pulled the trigger on trading Cutler. They've tried the "we're not trading him, he's our future" line and it obviously wasn't believable. So now the only thing left to do is trade him and McDaniels is not going to get the team moving anywhere without getting this behind him. Every day they try to salvage this is another day they're wasting when there are many other holes to fill. They need to trade him so what's done is done and whatever shell of a team is left, McDaniels can get to work on building it in his own image.

The longer this festers, the longer he loses the veterans. For the good of the organization, he needs to get this behind him.

Superchop 7
04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
A lockeroom divided.

Thanks McMuffin.

You clown.

What do you do for an encore?

If I had one wish right now, Id be swinging a 100 lb halibut about three revolutions and then slapping the back of your head with it to produce a sound that would be proper for such a dumb thought as to trade Cutler for Cassell, only to send you careening into Bowlen and his tray of liquors. Then Id duct tape the cat to your head and set it on fire.................(take it easy cat lovers....I wouldnt let it burn very long and after it had done its job it would be ok just like in the movies):D

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Beautifully written, poignant, fair and accurate.

TXBRONC
04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Part of the incompetence I'm seeing from Dove Valley is that they haven't already pulled the trigger on trading Cutler. They've tried the "we're not trading him, he's our future" line and it obviously wasn't believable. So now the only thing left to do is trade him and McDaniels is not going to get the team moving anywhere without getting this behind him. Every day they try to salvage this is another day they're wasting when there are many other holes to fill. They need to trade him so what's done is done and whatever shell of a team is left, McDaniels can get to work on building it in his own image.

The longer this festers, the longer he loses the veterans. For the good of the organization, he needs to get this behind him.

Hoof, Denver actually has the leverage over bidders for Cutler's services. He's under contract for the next three years so they don't have to trade him if they don't get an offer to their liking. Denver can get at least two number one picks for Cutler, or a number one, with some other picks and a prominent starter on defense. If they're going trade him (and isn't preference by long shot) then they should play hardball and make sure that it is well worth their while, otherwise no deal.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I thought the following comments by Larry Zimmer, who announced the Bronco games on KOA radio for years, was interesting:

http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/04/02/zimmer-rift-isnt-similar-to-reeves-elway/

By Sam Adams

Longtime KOA radio broadcaster Larry Zimmer probably has seen more Broncos games than Pat Bowlen, Jay Cutler and Josh McDaniels combined.

Zimmer, who called Broncos games for 26 years on the station, is like so many fans and observers who are miffed by the turn of events that have led to a pending trade of Cutler.

Cutler’s lack of trust with his rookie coach is at the center of the
breakup. Zimmer remembers the messy differences between former Broncos coach Dan Reeves and quarterback John Elway, but dismisses the situations as being similar.

“You’re talking about two veterans,” Zimmer said. “A veteran coach (Reeves) who’s older and been through it. Elway, by the time their relationship got bad, had already been to three Super Bowls.

“I think the McDaniels-Cutler thing, I cannot understand how it got to where it is. I think it’s a matter of immaturity. I don’t think either one of them have handled it well.”

Count Zimmer in the group that believes Bowlen should have intervened sooner than later.

“I think Pat finally has gotten disgusted with the whole thing,” Zimmer said. “I have known Pat for a long time and I’m surprised that he let it go this far. He hired Josh McDaniels and he had to stand behind him.

“But he also said at the time of (Mike) Shanahan’s firing that they wouldn’t do anything without Jay Cutler knowing about it.

“So Pat’s been a bit of an enigma in this whole thing, too, as to why he didn’t get involved before he did.”

bcbronc
04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
This seems to be on topic with this thread, I posted this question to Vic Lombardi yesterday. Here is his response.

Have any of the Broncos players confided to you in confidence on who's side they support in the situation between Cutler and McDaniels?
Jimmy: No matter what they say publically - and per coach's orders they're not saying anything right now - players always support players. Always. They may not have gotten along with Cutler, but they all support Cutler. That's just the way the locker room works.

is that meant as a hypothetical, or is Lombardi suggesting there were factions in the locker room that actually didn't get along with Cutler? First I've heard of it, if that is what he's suggesting.

broncofaninfla
04-02-2009, 11:05 AM
is that meant as a hypothetical, or is Lombardi suggesting there were factions in the locker room that actually didn't get along with Cutler? First I've heard of it, if that is what he's suggesting.

Not sure, that's all I got in my emailed response. I haven't checked CBS4 yet to see if the answer was any different there.