PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker out.

broncosfanscott
10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Just got a txt message on my cell phone that Walker will be out a few more weeks.

This freaking sucks and Bailey might not be playing Sunday either. Can these injuries stop sometime.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_story_291174909.html

topscribe
10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Why is that any damned surprise? I am getting the distinct impression that
the FO is not being honest with us about any of those injuries. How many
times now has a "minor" injury turned out to be season-ending?

It would not surprise me that Champ's "minor" injury also turns out to be
season-ending. :mad:

-----

Retired_Member_001
10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
The Steelers have the best defense in the NFL.

How exactly are we supposed to score points with such a bad offensive line aswell as our biggest offensive player out?

Our defense isn't going to stop Willie Parker.

:mad:

Retired_Member_001
10-18-2007, 05:15 PM

-----

I'm very worried about this aswell Top.

For Walker to be out this long already, it must be something bad.

If Champ is out it means that Dre' is going to cover Hines Ward (not a problem) and Foxworth is going to cover Santionio Holmes (kill me now).

broncosfanscott
10-18-2007, 05:15 PM
I know. I would rather know up front about the injury than sit here hoping he will play when the team knows he probably won't. We have had several injuries so far and with our run defense being pathetic I pray that Champ's injury is really a "minor" one.

Skinny
10-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Damn.

If it lingers like this, this would suck if there was an option to go in behind the knee and drain it. But if i remember reading correctly, Javon or someone said something to the affect that there was nothing they could really do but give it time.

Unfortunately it's time we don't really have. We need all our weapons right now.

shank
10-18-2007, 05:40 PM
my text from cbs said that javon would be going in for another knee surgery and will be out "a few more weeks"

Medford Bronco
10-18-2007, 05:44 PM
my text from cbs said that javon would be going in for another knee surgery and will be out "a few more weeks"

that sucks

we are in deep trouble now

I really think its gonna be a long season :( :( :(

Grover
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Shawshank24 -

That "a.k.a Lauren Nalen" sig of yours is just wrong. :eek:
I need to go shampoo my eyes now dude.

I'm sorry to hear about Walker, who has turned into my favorite Bronco. Let's hope he heals well and has a long productive career ahead of him in orange and blue.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2007, 05:53 PM

-----

I share your frustration, Tops. :frusty:

More and more, I am seeing the merit in vigorously developing new players over relying on a few veteran stars. I guess I just can't get the model of the Rockies out of my head...:confused:

dogfish
10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
well that freakin' blows! hate to say it, but i have a very bad feeling that we may see javon undergoing microfracture sometime in the near future. . . :frusty:

this team is falling apart!! i hope to god they don't try to rush champ back too soon-- IMO it looks like a lost season anyways, be as cautious as possible with our all-world impact player. . . .

Requiem / The Dagda
10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Denver is always like this and has always been like this since Shanahan has been around regarding injuries. It's understandable too. It's really unfortunate. This just happens to be one of those years for Denver. Sucks, but it happens.

Astrass
10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker needs another surgery on his right knee, the one he tore up in the 2005 opener for Green Bay that caused him to miss the entire season.

Walker will have an operation Friday in Houston and will be out "for a few weeks," coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Javon's not feeling very good," Shanahan said.

Shanahan didn't have a precise timetable for Walker's return and said he wasn't sure what the procedure entailed.

"Doctors don't think it's very serious, but serious enough to go in there and clean it out because he's been off of it for a few weeks and it hasn't gotten much better," Shanahan said.

Walker underwent surgery two years ago to repair a torn ACL and then needed a follow-up operation around the time he joined the Broncos in a draft day trade in 2006.

Walker missed the Broncos' last two games because of swelling in his surgically repaired right knee but returned to practice this week following the team's bye.

On Wednesday, Walker said he was feeling better and hoped to play Sunday night against Pittsburgh.

"I really don't notice it until everything is done and it's time to calm down," Walker said of the pain. "When I'm out there in the midst of playing, I don't even notice it."

Walker, however, wasn't at the team's complex Thursday. After the day's workouts, Shanahan said Walker needed another operation.

Walker had a great training camp and said he was so confident in his recovery that he predicted he could top 1,600 yards receiving this season.

He got off to a great start, catching 17 passes for 220 yards in the first two games before making just two receptions for 10 yards against Jacksonville in Week 3. He sat out the next two games.

"He gave it a go, but you could tell something wasn't right," wide receiver Brandon Stokley said. "We're going to miss him. So hopefully he'll get back and be ready for the stretch run."

Walker's loss puts even more pressure on a Broncos offense that sputtered in a 41-3 loss to San Diego two weeks ago and lost center Tom Nalen for the season with a torn biceps.

Running back Travis Henry could be facing a year's suspension. He is fighting the league over a drug test result, and the Broncos could find themselves turning to undrafted rookie Selvin Young any day.

Also on Thursday, tight end Stephen Alexander was placed on injured reserve with a calf injury that's been slow to heal.

Escobar
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
ouch, tough luck.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Drek made a good post on the Mane. Thought I'd show ya'll over here.

I'm beginning to think we need to ask some tough questions of our personell, and they don't relate to the players or coaches.

Our guys haven't had good conditioning for several years. We've seen lots of injuries just like Javon's, and what's worse they aren't being evaluated quickly. Javon sat out the last two games. Along with that he's had the whole bye week off. He basically has been sitting around being observed for a month. NOW they decide it needs surgery.

Add the complications we've had with various other injuries, from Hixon's broken foot pre-draft, Harris' bad back that kept him out most of the season, and including the total fumbling (or cover up, which is worse) of Wilson's status.

Our medical and training staff hasn't gotten the job done these last few years and should be reevaluated. I'm not saying sack 'em all, but how they do their job needs some significant tweaking at the very minimum.

Stargazer
10-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Is this the repaired leg?

If so, that 2nd round pick and a boatload of cash given to Walker will start to seem more questionable.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm wondering if the problem is not all the off season "conditioning" camps, which are advertised as "voluntary", but players have come out and said that they really are not voluntary. It almost seems like the Bronco players have very little "off time".

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2007, 07:07 PM

-----

I don't think that is the case with Javon. On Channel 4 sports, Reggie Rivers reported that this was a total surprise, as Javon practiced yesterday, and appeared to be fine, but the swelling was in the knee yet. Guess because of the swelling, it was pursued further. Reggie did not say if the knee swelling came back after Javon practiced. Reggie also did say there is a chance this will be "season ending".

shank
10-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't think that is the case with Javon. On Channel 4 sports, Reggie Rivers reported that this was a total surprise, as Javon practiced yesterday, and appeared to be fine, but the swelling was in the knee yet. Guess because of the swelling, it was pursued further. Reggie did not say if the knee swelling came back after Javon practiced. Reggie also did say there is a chance this will be "season ending".

this sounds right. i JUST read an article where javon was talking like he's ready to go and plans to have a big game against Pitt, and then minutes later i get the text from cbs... effin'-a cotton...

Poet
10-18-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm very worried about this aswell Top.

For Walker to be out this long already, it must be something bad.

If Champ is out it means that Dre' is going to cover Hines Ward (not a problem) and Foxworth is going to cover Santionio Holmes (kill me now).

Hines Ward is a problem for any CB in this league, and yeah that includes Mr. Bailey. I recall watching Ward torch Bailey in the playoffs in 05. Ward is going to score at least on TD in this game, the guy is a monster in the red zone.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Some injuries to key guys. Walker, Lynch, now Bailey possibly out for a while, someone's just going to have to step up.

Patriots lose half of their starters to injuries, they go on to win SuperBowls.

Let's see what Denver does with it.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Also, if Walker's knee problem is ongoing, he needs to rest it and be out.

If Bailey's injury is serious, he needs to rest it and be out.

I would be upset if Denver comprosied the future health of their players just so they can try and make some kind of a push. I would be upset if any organization did that.

topscribe
10-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Hines Ward is a problem for any CB in this league, and yeah that includes Mr. Bailey. I recall watching Ward torch Bailey in the playoffs in 05. Ward is going to score at least on TD in this game, the guy is a monster in the red zone.

You're half right. Ward is a problem for any CB while there is a weak pass rush.
If there is a strong pass rush, he won't do much against the likes of Champ or Dré.

-----

Medford Bronco
10-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Some injuries to key guys. Walker, Lynch, now Bailey possibly out for a while, someone's just going to have to step up.

Patriots lose half of their starters to injuries, they go on to win SuperBowls.

Let's see what Denver does with it.

That is because they have backups that can start on most teams.

As much as most hate them, they are very unselfish players on the field
Look at Randy Moss toeing the line, unheard of I say.

Also as much as it pains me, they have Brady and Bellichek,
who will go down as 2 of the best of all time at their respective
postions.

Medford Bronco
10-18-2007, 07:41 PM
You're half right. Ward is a problem for any CB while there is a weak pass rush.
If there is a strong pass rush, he won't do much against the likes of Champ or Dré.

-----

I would be suprised to see Pitt throw more than 15-20 times in this game
as the key is gonna be Parker and Davenport.

we have not stopped the run all year and with our overall injuries its gonna be tough to do so now. :ahhhhh:

Poet
10-18-2007, 07:41 PM

-----

Hines Ward can pretty much do it all. If Big Ben's overrated arse can throw it remotely near Ward it will most likely be a catch. Then take into consideration that you guys will bite on a PA pass eventually and it is pretty much guaranteed that Ward will be productive this game.

underrated29
10-18-2007, 07:56 PM
this blows!!

I will probably get flammed for this, but im sure 1 person from bm is over here to back me up.

BRING BACK DAVID TERRELL!!! Lets get a vet on the field instead of glenn and clark.

Medford Bronco
10-18-2007, 08:00 PM
this blows!!

I will probably get flammed for this, but im sure 1 person from bm is over here to back me up.

BRING BACK DAVID TERRELL!!! Lets get a vet on the field instead of glenn and clark.

or
How about Quincy Morgan

better than rooks I say

Krugan
10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I sure hope the hip, err Rod will be ready to go week 7.

This is his last week on the PuP list, at least to the point where he cant play even if healthy.

Tned
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I've been on the road all day. This wasn't the kind of news I wanted to come home to :mad:

Simple Jaded
10-18-2007, 09:30 PM
ouch, tough luck.

This kinda reminds of the bad luck the Browns had the last few years....

I've had a bad feeling about Walkers knee since it happened, that's just the way 2007 has gone for the Broncos....Hopfully it's nothing structural....Knock on wood!!!!

Tned
10-18-2007, 10:11 PM
http://dailycamera.com/news/2007/oct/18/broncos-walker-faces-knee-surgery/

Broncos’ Walker faces knee surgery
Associated Press
Originally published 06:17 p.m., October 18, 2007
Updated 06:17 p.m., October 18, 2007

ENGLEWOOD — Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker needs another surgery on his right knee, the one he tore up in the 2005 opener for Green Bay that caused him to miss the entire season.

Walker will have an operation Friday in Houston and will be out “for a few weeks,” coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday.

“Javon’s not feeling very good,” Shanahan said.

Shanahan didn’t have a precise timetable for Walker’s return and said he wasn’t sure what the procedure entailed.

“Doctors don’t think it’s very serious, but serious enough to go in there and clean it out because he’s been off of it for a few weeks and it hasn’t gotten much better,” Shanahan said.

Walker underwent surgery two years ago to repair a torn ACL and then needed a follow-up operation around the time he joined the Broncos in a draft day trade in 2006.

Walker missed the Broncos’ last two games because of swelling in his surgically repaired right knee but returned to practice this week following the team’s bye.

DenBronx
10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Rod Smith anyone???

Stargazer
10-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Rod Smith anyone???

Unfortunately, at his age he's no Javon Walker.

sneakers
10-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Isn't he having the same surgery on his knee that Mark Shlereth had on his knee 29 times?

Krugan
10-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Unfortunately, at his age he's no Javon Walker.

It has nothing to do with age at this point. Its about a guy that has been consistant his whole career and would be exactly what this team needs on the field.

A leader with passion for the game. Someone who knows how to find the soft spot, and experience.

People are wondering about Morgan getting playing time, Rod was 10 times morgan last season, with a gimpy hip and a other assorted dings and nicks.

Melkor
10-19-2007, 01:02 PM
well that freakin' blows! hate to say it, but i have a very bad feeling that we may see javon undergoing microfracture sometime in the near future. . . :frusty:

My guess is, the next step is not on the field. The next step is microfacture.

I will probably be vanished from this forum to say this, but I am beginning to seriously wonder if it would not be for the best to trade Walker.

If he gets back to the field before any surgery, he would still have a very high value. But, we would still know that he could go down anytime.

If we could get an elite receiver in exchange, just someone who is nearly as good, I think it is worth thinking about.

Say Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards or Jerricho Cotchery. None of them is at Walkers level, but at least we would not have to wonder that much about them being healthy.
With Arizonas contract situation, who knows, maybe they are ready to give up Boldin.

I just think it is too intolerable to count on Walker as our primary offensive playmaker, when the fact is he is not going to be totally free of those injurie concerns.

Melkor
10-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Also, if Walker's knee problem is ongoing, he needs to rest it and be out.

If Bailey's injury is serious, he needs to rest it and be out.

I would be upset if Denver comprosied the future health of their players just so they can try and make some kind of a push. I would be upset if any organization did that.

I have seen it to often with the team i am supporting here in Denmark.

Sport is buisness now a days. Buisness is money.

Sometimes they will play incapacitaded players just with the little hope it will make a difference.

dogfish
10-19-2007, 01:38 PM

I will probably be vanished from this forum to say this, but I am beginning to seriously wonder if it would not be for the best to trade Walker.

If he gets back to the field before any surgery, he would still have a very high value. But, we would still know that he could go down anytime.

If we could get an elite receiver in exchange, just someone who is nearly as good, I think it is worth thinking about.

Say Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards or Jerricho Cotchery. None of them is at Walkers level, but at least we would not have to wonder that much about them being healthy.
With Arizonas contract situation, who knows, maybe they are ready to give up Boldin.

I just think it is too intolerable to count on Walker as our primary offensive playmaker, when the fact is he is not going to be totally free of those injurie concerns.

well, this was just posted on PFT this afternoon. . . .

WALKER'S KNEE WORSE THAN ADVERTISED?

A league source tells us that the re-injury to the knee of receiver Javon Walker, which received a new ACL two years ago, is believed by some to be worse than reports indicate.

Though, as we understand it, the knee is not yet to the point of needing microfracture surgery, the removal of cartilage via arthroscopic surgery will only increase the chances that Walker will need to undergo at some point the crapshoot procedure aimed at stimulating the growth of scar tissue that then simulates cartilage.

Questions also are being raised about the decision to delay the surgery. If, as coach Mike Shanahan says, Walker is expected to miss only a couple of weeks, why not 'scope the knee so that part of the recovery period would have included the bye week?

:frusty:

unfortunately, there's no way any club is going to trade us a young, up-and-coming, and most importantly HEALTHY receiver for walker at this point. . . we've pretty much got no choice but to ride it out with him, and hope that one way or another they can get his knee healthy. . . microfracture (assuming that he eventually has to have one, of which there's no proof yet, merely speculation) is very serious, but not quite the death knell it used to be-- kellen winslow had one in the offseason, and he's recovered and playing quite well. . .

still, this is a major disappointment-- there's no way around it. . . .

underrated29
10-19-2007, 01:46 PM

I dont know about fitz. i think he is definitely on walkers level. If we got fitz i would do multiple back flips! And probably run around naked. And as much as i love javon here on this team. If we could pull that trade of we should do it in a second.

BUt i am biased as he is my fav wr, too.

Melkor
10-19-2007, 01:56 PM
unfortunately, there's no way any club is going to trade us a young, up-and-coming, and most importantly HEALTHY receiver for walker at this point. . .

Not now.

But if, and that is a big if, he was to return to the field before the season ends, team would once again get to see how big of a playmaker he is.

Some might be fooled, if you can use that expression.

Melkor
10-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I dont know about fitz. i think he is definitely on walkers level. If we got fitz i would do multiple back flips! And probably run around naked. And as much as i love javon here on this team. If we could pull that trade of we should do it in a second.

BUt i am biased as he is my fav wr, too.

Actually, I think he is the most likely of the three receivers I have listed to leave his team.

Fitzgerald is still on his rookie contract, which expires in 2009. An elite receiver like him is thought to be unsatisfied with something like that.

This year Arizona used some money in free agency, though they did not spend it all.

Next year Karlos Dansby will be out of contract. He, and the team, has stated that he would like to be at Arizona, but it will take a big contract extension.

The year after that Anquan Boldin is out of contract. For sure Arizona would like to keep him too, but like Dansby it would take a huge extension. Same story with Calvin Pace, who offensive coordinator, and head coach, Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt practically invented in Pittsburgh.

Larry Fitzgerald just might be left holding the baby.

I bet Arizona would do everything to keep Fitzgerald, but it might be very difficult.
Especially if someone were to offer something like a seemingly healthy Javon Walker.

Stargazer
10-19-2007, 02:34 PM
It has nothing to do with age at this point. Its about a guy that has been consistant his whole career and would be exactly what this team needs on the field.

A leader with passion for the game. Someone who knows how to find the soft spot, and experience.

His age is a factor. If he can get out there and play that's great. But, his current talent level is nowhere near Javon's. This team doesn't need more leaders running around. This team needs more talent which will have to be acquired in the offseason.

underrated29
10-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Actually, I think he is the most likely of the three receivers I have listed to leave his team.

Fitzgerald is still on his rookie contract, which expires in 2009. An elite receiver like him is thought to be unsatisfied with something like that.

This year Arizona used some money in free agency, though they did not spend it all.

Next year Karlos Dansby will be out of contract. He, and the team, has stated that he would like to be at Arizona, but it will take a big contract extension.

The year after that Anquan Boldin is out of contract. For sure Arizona would like to keep him too, but like Dansby it would take a huge extension. Same story with Calvin Pace, who offensive coordinator, and head coach, Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt practically invented in Pittsburgh.

Larry Fitzgerald just might be left holding the baby.

I bet Arizona would do everything to keep Fitzgerald, but it might be very difficult.
Especially if someone were to offer something like a seemingly healthy Javon Walker.

well i would certainly hope that would be the case. And we could make it happen.

Grover
10-19-2007, 03:45 PM
just posted in Andrew Mason's blog that Walker had surgery this morning. It was deemed successful and his doctor has advised at least six weeks before he can play.

So it looks like we'll get him back just in time for the playoffs! (sarcasm)

Melkor
10-19-2007, 04:00 PM
His age is a factor. If he can get out there and play that's great. But, his current talent level is nowhere near Javon's. This team doesn't need more leaders running around. This team needs more talent which will have to be acquired in the offseason.

I disagree. This team needs more leaders. This team will get more talent on the offseason, but it will probably not be elite talent.
I mean, no way where are signing Tererell Suggs, Lance Briggs and draft Darren McFadden. Do not get to exided. We might need one, or two, more seasons were we will be average.

Melkor
10-19-2007, 04:03 PM
well i would certainly hope that would be the case. And we could make it happen.

We could. But it would take a great deal. At least in would cost a fit Javon Walker, next it would cost a draft pick. Rod Savage is no oracle, so a fourth might be enough.

I hope so.

DenBronx
10-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Someone just reported that Walker is to miss 6 weeks over at BM. :eek:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=104178
Javon Walker underwent successful arthroscopic knee surgery Friday. The surgeon estimated Walker will be back in six weeks. That would put his estimated return date at Week 13 against Oakland.

Retired_Member_001
10-19-2007, 05:08 PM

Javon Walker underwent successful arthroscopic knee surgery Friday. The surgeon estimated Walker will be back in six weeks. That would put his estimated return date at Week 13 against Oakland.

How much worse can it get?

Hopefully BMarsh really steps up (BMarsh is playing well but not at Javon standards yet) aswell as the Slot Machine (Stokley) and Glenn Martinez.

:mad:

Stargazer
10-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Great news! But, until we see him on the field making plays I will not get my hopes up on a successful return this season. It can go both ways. Some players return sooner, on-time, and some get pushed back. Oh well, hope he's back this year.

omac
10-19-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd rather we kept Kircus, instead of (edited)Martinez. He looked like he could be a playmaker.

Marshall's playing like a really talented young receiver, but he isn't yet playing like a veteran go-to receiver like Javon. He can be off in the timing routes, and he doesn't yet have the veteran sense to adjust when his QB needs to get rid of the ball quicker than usual. That will hurt us more than losing WR depth, as Jay might not have as much confidence in Marshall, and might wait for him to get to the spot before throwing the ball, specially if the miscues turn into a lot of INTs. It's in this sense that a healthy, albeit older, Rod Smith can still make a difference.

On depth ... besides Stokley and Graham, Shanny's had passing plays he's designed where Selvin Young acts like a receiver and gets mismatches with linebackers. Young hasn't been very good at catching the ball yet, though. Schefler will be a welcome addition when he's back to form.

broncosfanscott
10-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I would be suprised to see Pitt throw more than 15-20 times in this game
as the key is gonna be Parker and Davenport.

we have not stopped the run all year and with our overall injuries its gonna be tough to do so now. :ahhhhh:

Why would anybody throw against us? No reason to since we can't stop anybody running the ball.

I hope the other recievers step it up Sunday and at least get our offense rolling a little bit. With Walker out for a while theyt need to do that now more than ever because teams are going to be zoning in on Marshall. When we get in the red zone, I would like to see some short endzone passes to Scheffler.

broncos9697
10-20-2007, 12:00 PM

ya 6 more weeks he'll be out.....the season will be done over for us then....then all we can do at that point is spoil it for teams...

Melkor
10-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Great news! But, until we see him on the field making plays I will not get my hopes up on a successful return this season. It can go both ways. Some players return sooner, on-time, and some get pushed back. Oh well, hope he's back this year.

I think that might be kind of naive.

I had my hope really high on Walker, but problems with that knee that has caused him problem before made me re evaluate the situation.

Of course I have a hope, Walker will be back in great shape, but I have almost no belief in it.