PDA

View Full Version : How much faith do you have in the ability of McDaniels and Xanders to get a good trade for Cutler?

dogfish
04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
just curious. . . . i really don't CARE who you think is to blame at this point, it
doesn't matter any more, and there are plenty of other threads to argue about that. . . but feel free to detail what you'd consider a "good" trade, given the circumstances and the inevitability that he IS going to be traded. . . i'm sure it'll devolve into an argument about his "worth," which is entirely subjective at this point, but all that i'm really after is what people will be satisfied with. . .

i'm in the "how do you really get fair value for a 25-year old franchise QB?" camp myself, but now that it's come down to this i at least hope we can get SOMETHING friggin' decent, instead of getting completely shafted. . . to me, anything less than a 1st round pick is unacceptable, other than maybe an elite YOUNG defensive player"-- i have less than no desire to see some half-assed chump of a QB as the centerpiece of a trade. . . we can win 3-6 games with chris simms quite nicely, thank you! i don't need brady queen or tarvaris jackson. . . and i don't want to swap firsts either, giving up cutler to move up five or six spots-- effectively trading our proven and productive QB AND our 1st round pick for mark sanchez and some throw-in 3rd round pick. . . not good. . .

nope. . . to me, anything less than a 1st, preferrably with another pick somewhere in the top three rounds, is just a complete SHIT deal. . . and i don't see it happening, but i'd much rather get a first in NEXT YEAR'S draft, which would potentially give us the ammo to move up for sam bradford if we bomb out and have a high pick of our own next year. . . . to me, that's the best solution at this point-- say screw it, we're rollin' with simms this year (IMO he's as good as anyone else that's available right now or is likely to be part of a trade), give us an extra 2nd or 3rd in this year's draft and your 1st next year. . . . take a stud RB, spend the rest of our high picks to build the _efense, and see where the chips fall. . . . probably won't happen, though. . . .

BroncoWave
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Given that a BUNCH of teams want him, I think we're going to get a freaking sweet deal for him.

FanInAZ
04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Once a play demands a trade, he undercut his current team's barganning power.

BroncoWave
04-01-2009, 02:59 PM

That's not always the case. For a marginal player, maybe. But this is a pro-bowl 25 y/o QB with superstar potential. There will be teams falling over each other to get him. While your logic would usually be right, I think the fact that this is a potential franchise QB will spark a huge bidding war for him and we will get more than fair compensation.

jrelway
04-01-2009, 03:02 PM
all mcdaniels and xanders had to do was tone up the defense. how they muffed it up just baffles me. hold on tight during the draft fellas. i wouldnt be all surprised if we moved down and took crabtree. thats how much faith i got in the organization right now.

bcbronc
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
I think the way you've worded your options give a hint of bias on your part, dog. but I chose the second option anyways, despite the obvious sarcasm. ;)

too many teams want in for us not to get a decent return. I've liked *most* of the personal decisions done by McX so far (ignoring the Cutler situation) and so I'm confident they will get a decent package for Cutler.

NameUsedBefore
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I think Cutler will bring in a lot.

If we're not looking at a Herschel Walker-esque trade we got boned big time.

CoachChaz
04-01-2009, 03:10 PM
8 options in the poll and 6 of them bash the front office. That's impartial.

Watchthemiddle
04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Given that a BUNCH of teams want him, I think we're going to get a freaking sweet deal for him.

I agree. We will make out big time......thanks Jay. :elefant:

claymore
04-01-2009, 03:15 PM
They havent done anything right yet, so I have no hope.

Watchthemiddle
04-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Shouldn't it be the other way around.....if they haven't done anything yet, you have hope that they will do something spectacular?

broncofaninfla
04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I have little faith in McD at this point, can't help but think he is an utter idiot. I'd love to be wrong but I think he will end up prioritizing getting rid of Cutler over holding out for the best deal.

underrated29
04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Well since mcd is such a hardass i do think he could do a good job at getting more than fair value for us. But seriously to me there are only a few scenarios that i would accept and they are pretty far out there...Thats how much i think cutler can do for us- or a new team...

Still holding out hope that clay will hold me and somehow jay will stay.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
We will ride the bull 8 seconds.

CrazyHorse
04-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I think Cutler will bring in a lot.

If we're not looking at a Herschel Walker-esque trade we got boned big time.

Cutler for Adrian Peterson, Kevin and Pat Williams and a first rounder!

dogfish
04-01-2009, 03:59 PM
8 options in the poll and 6 of them bash the front office. That's impartial.

We can't get full "fair value" in this situation, but we'll get something pretty good.

^^ that's "bashing" the front office? ^^

okay. . . . :confused:

what other options should have been included?

Watchthemiddle
04-01-2009, 04:00 PM
^^ that's "bashing" the front office? ^^

okay. . . . :confused:

what other options should have been included?

Dog, chill out....drink some 120 and relax.

dogfish
04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Dog, chill out....drink some 120 and relax.

i'm relaxed. . . . :noidea:

seriously, did i go on some kind of crazy rant? start half-a-dozen threads? hell, i didn't even bump the "fire mcdaniels" thread or put something sarcastic in my sig. . . .

yet. . . . :lol:

elsid13
04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm so ready for the Alex Smith era to begin in Denver.

hotcarl
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
we will be lucky to get a 6th rounder for him at this point

his crybaby attitude and his drinking problem are going to be red flags

maybe he could be a raider? he has the attitude, the booze problem, the drug abuse, and the questionable sexual orientation, he would fit right in LOL

Medford Bronco
04-01-2009, 04:27 PM

Thank you Bus Cook:rolleyes:

you sucked with Favre and now you suck with Cutler, although Cutler is doing a pretty good job of looking foolish now.

McD will screw this up as well. Sorry but I am very very pessimistic right now.

I want to puke really

jrelway
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm so ready for the Alex Smith era to begin in Denver.

up yours!

hotcarl
04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you Bus Cook

I want to puke really

i want to puke too

Medford Bronco
04-01-2009, 04:46 PM
i want to puke too

um okay hot carl :rolleyes:

hotcarl
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
um okay hot carl :rolleyes:

we can do without the personal attacks please

tia
~carl

Medford Bronco
04-01-2009, 04:59 PM
we can do without the personal attacks please

tia
~carl

okay :rolleyes:

Superchop 7
04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
How hard is it to say "the best offer on my desk in the next 24 hours gets him"

It will be hard for anyone to screw this up.

Then again......

elsid13
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
up yours!

I figure that everyone that tells us how great QB coach McDick is, might as well give him a challenge.

GEM
04-01-2009, 05:23 PM
I haven't seen what they are capable of yet. I don't know that draft picks would be great, because we don't have a clue how this front office does in the draft. We could stock pile #1's and get 2 or 3 busts. Who knows.

I'm hoping that they are smart enough to not just take what is out there. McD said he would entertain whatever is best for the organization....well it starts here kid. The best for the organization if they are going to lose Cutler would be to get value and use that value very well. If the value isn't there for this draft but could be better used in next year's draft...do what is best for the organization, hang on to Cutler, let him ride the bench and get your value next year.

At this point, I am tired of the Player is bigger than the organization. I just want what is best for this franchise.

DenverBronkHoes
04-01-2009, 05:25 PM
how dare you BLASPHEMY OVERTIME!!!!

dogfish
04-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I figure that everyone that tells us how great QB coach McDick is, might as well give him a challenge.

alex smith did run the spread offense in college. . . .

DenverBronkHoes
04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
i think taming jay would have been a good 1st challenge........ he flunked

skycoyote
04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
The front office has already showed its hand. But, Jay should bring some value I don't think someone as inexperienced in football coaching as McDaniels could even screw this up.

RunYouOver
04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Nice topic dog, because I must admit, I am VERY, VERY nervous that we're not going to get anything close to what we should.

In my opinion, a trade that would provide equal value depends on the team, like for example, the Jets, I'd say a first this year, a first next year and LB David Harris. Generally, I'd say 2 first round picks, and an early-mid round pick would be equal value for Cutler.

I KNOW we won't get that, so I'm hoping for 4 picks or 3 picks and a player. (1-2 first rounders, 1-2 second rounders, 1-2 third-fifth rounders).

However, I doubt we get even that, leaving us with potentially a trade that looks similar to this:

We get: Mark Sanchez and a third round pick

They get: Jay Cutler.

:mad:

SM19
04-01-2009, 06:18 PM
It's a combination of the third and sixth options, really. Cutler's worth so much that we really ought to get something good -- I'd demand a first, a third, and a good defensive starter before even considering an offer -- but if this front office is as good at negotiating trades as they are at everything else, there's reason to be nervous.

Hawgdriver
04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
i'm relaxed. . . . :noidea:

seriously, did i go on some kind of crazy rant? start half-a-dozen threads? hell, i didn't even bump the "fire mcdaniels" thread or put something sarcastic in my sig. . . .

yet. . . . :lol:

bias is weird. it's like a zit you can't see.

dude, we see this thing so eye-to-eye it's funny.

there are a lot of opinions and preferences in the air, so the slightest indication of a leaning one way or the other comes off as being in a 'camp'. what ever

ok, I've actually got faith in McXanders. I think we have an uber intellect in the front office, so they are as analytic as ****. (note: I actually put in asterisks from my ingrained politeness). They will be able to swing a good deal and not relent to a crap deal. I actually have a good deal of confidence in Pat and McD for that side of things. it's disappointing for McD to let Bus create this media sidelight, but it shouldn't affect how to optimize Jay's trade value if that is how this plays out.

if we do trade Jay we are going to own the market...that's my thought

BTW, best polling options ever
'clay, hold me'

dogfish
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
BTW, best polling options ever
'clay, hold me'

i think the best part is that's the option clay voted for. . . . :lol:

spikerman
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I voted for "I have a sneaking suspicion....", but can I get Clay to hold me anyway?

Lonestar
04-01-2009, 07:51 PM

let s see

fired the entire defensive coaching staff.
cut all but two starters on defense.
fired the ST coach.
retained bobby turner.
got rid of several of mikey croonie players..
webster.
nate the TE.

are you really sure about your statement..

Hawgdriver
04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
JR not crazy about your slant these days but good points.

bcbronc
04-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Nice topic dog, because I must admit, I am VERY, VERY nervous that we're not going to get anything close to what we should.

In my opinion, a trade that would provide equal value depends on the team, like for example, the Jets, I'd say a first this year, a first next year and LB David Harris. Generally, I'd say 2 first round picks, and an early-mid round pick would be equal value for Cutler.

I KNOW we won't get that, so I'm hoping for 4 picks or 3 picks and a player. (1-2 first rounders, 1-2 second rounders, 1-2 third-fifth rounders).

this is kind of how I see it as well. I'm hoping the minimum McX will consider is three "players", whether in the form of a roster player or draft pick. I do definitely put a premium on quality over quantity though, especially in the roster player category.

obviously, any deal has to get us a first this year. that's non-negotiable. a qb coming back is probable, but I consider that almost a throw-in. every team that acquires Jay is now going to have an "extra" starting QB, more or less. any QB coming back is majorly de-valued in this deal.

If the 1st is before us, I start to consider a 2nd next year, depending on what the third asset is. If the pick is after us, I'm asking for a 1st next year as well. if the pick is late teens or later, I'm pretty much insisting on it.

for roster players, other than QB, I want a starter on defense. a front seven player with proven 3-4 experience is preferred.

without having delved too far into potential deals, the "rumour" that I like the most would be Cleveland. QB, Rogers, 2nd this year, conditional pick next year (1st if Cleveland has a better record, 2nd if we do) gives us a good mix of instant upgrade (defense obviously) and picks. but I don't think Cleveland will be as "needy" as a lot of other teams, so they might not want to give up this much (don't think they'd give up #5--I wouldn't anyway if I was them unless it was just Brady going back with it).

There are enough teams that are "only" being held back by the play of their QB that you can almost quarantee *someone* will be willing to overpay to get him.

horsepig
04-01-2009, 09:39 PM
This thread was originally about compensation for Cutler. My hope is for someone like Quinn, sorry homophobes, and a 2nd and a 3rd this year. A 2nd and a 3rd next year with another 2nd conditional. Great value for a problem child that gives a total rebuilding effort a lot of new talent at "reasonable" prices.

claymore
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
This thread was originally about compensation for Cutler. My hope is for someone like Quinn, sorry homophobes, and a 2nd and a 3rd this year. A 2nd and a 3rd next year with another 2nd conditional. Great value for a problem child that gives a total rebuilding effort a lot of new talent at "reasonable" prices.

That scenario doesnt upgrade our team IMO.

sanluis
04-01-2009, 09:44 PM
People were tripping over themselves to get Jeff George as well. So you guys might get a good deal.

I sure hope not!!!:shocked::lol:

Tned
04-01-2009, 09:45 PM
My fear is they will try and make a fast trade to make this whole nightmare go away, and not get enough. It appears there are 6-15 teams interested, and they need to play those teams against each other between now and the draft to get as much as possible.

If I was betting, I would say we won't get enough value for him.

Simple Jaded
04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
It's not possible to get value for a Franchise QB, especially for Bowlen's Boy Band, they're in way over their heads.......