PDA

View Full Version : Three reasons teams should pause in pursuit of Peyton Manning

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Interesting article

Peyton Manning, who turns 36 later this month, has turned the ball over more frequently in recent seasons.

Peyton Manning has been on the market for almost a week, and four teams are in hot pursuit of his services. Although I have the utmost respect for the future Hall of Famer, I would advise everyone to proceed with caution when making a serious run at Manning.

Here are three reasons why I believe teams should pause before adding the four-time MVP to their roster:

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82790c9a/article/three-reasons-teams-should-pause-in-pursuit-of-peyton-manning?module=HP11_cp

CoachChaz
03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Still a better option than a still "green" Tebow right now

nevcraw
03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Interesting article

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82790c9a/article/three-reasons-teams-should-pause-in-pursuit-of-peyton-manning?module=HP11_cp

this has been my contention form day one.. High risk with a short window for reward and it clearly will retard the the growth towards the previosly decribed mission of this team. meanwhile we will be either shelving or punting our former first round pick that has not had the time to prove whether or not he is the long term solution. seems very knee-jerk and unnecessary.

HammeredOut
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Interesting article

The Article says to watch out because of Injury History... lol..

Manning started 16 games every year for 13 seasons, or 208 starts. That isn't much of an injury history. Sure QBs get banged up every once in a while, Manning isn't any more injured then Tom Brady. He had a major knee injury a few seasons back. Most great QBs had to sit out a season due to injury. It happens, and its likely to happen more often then not.

Manning age is a problem because he is going to be 36?? Who cares how old he is if all he does is go to the playoffs every single year with the last ranked defense. The man just wins games. If he comes to Denver, we might get the Brett Farve effect by protecting Manning with a good run game and good defense. Thus, when we need Manning to make big plays, and sustain a drive, he will be able to do that.

The 3rd reason was dumb... He might not like the new offensive system... Do the guys at the NFL network know that Payton Manning is an Offensive System... Look at his average points per game, and how many points his defense gave up. That will tell the whole story as to what Payton did for Indy. The article fails to mention, with Payton Manning, the team is a 14-2 team, without Payton Manning they are a 2-14 team.

Northman
03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Im pretty sure the teams that are interested understand he is a short term solution. Like NO ******* shit GENIUS.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
All very reasonable points.

But the fact that he gives us a good two or three years to either develop Tebow to the point where the organization is comfortable with him as a starter running a more normalized offensive playbook or for them to go outside the organization to find somebody else, is comforting at the very least. Gives us certainty and stability in the short term and a few question marks longer term wise, but we likely would have had those anyway.

wayninja
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Manning age is a problem because he is going to be 36?? Who cares how old he is if all he does is go to the playoffs every single year with the last ranked defense. The man just wins games. If he comes to Denver, we might get the Brett Farve effect by protecting Manning with a good run game and good defense. Thus, when we need Manning to make big plays, and sustain a drive, he will be able to do that.

I hope the reason we are getting Manning isn't because he 'simply wins games' and 'can go to the playoffs'. That's not really an upgrade. And the 'Brett Favre effect' is the about the last thing this team needs.

NightTerror218
03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
The Article says to watch out because of Injury History... lol..

Manning started 16 games every year for 13 seasons, or 208 starts. That isn't much of an injury history. Sure QBs get banged up every once in a while, Manning isn't any more injured then Tom Brady. He had a major knee injury a few seasons back. Most great QBs had to sit out a season due to injury. It happens, and its likely to happen more often then not.

The 3rd reason was dumb... He might not like the new offensive system... Do the guys at the NFL network know that Payton Manning is an Offensive System... Look at his average points per game, and how many points his defense gave up. That will tell the whole story as to what Payton did for Indy. The article fails to mention, with Payton Manning, the team is a 14-2 team, without Payton Manning they are a 2-14 team.

So missing an entire season with 4 neck surgeries is not an issue? Serious dude? No doctors will comment on it and he said himself he is not fully recovered. No red flag?

MOtorboat
03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
So missing an entire season with 4 neck surgeries is not an issue? Serious dude? No doctors will comment on it and he said himself he is not fully recovered. No red flag?

Doctors won't comment because they are bound by HIPPA laws. It's illegal for them to do so. (like, not losing draft picks illegal)

NightTerror218
03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Doctors won't comment because they are bound by HIPPA laws. It's illegal for them to do so. (like, not losing draft picks illegal)

They can not comment about his personal health information. Does not mean commenting about this procedure and healing times or recovery %. He has not even been worked out by a team yet. He threw with stokely, so what. Until he passes in front of Broncos and gets a physical I will still have my questions. Nothing will change that until he gets looked at.

Joel
03-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Good article, thanks. He's beat up, old and requires specific tools, most notably pass blocking that prevents his health and age ending his career before Thanksgiving. As I've repeatedly noted, Peyton Manning's never been a mobile QB: He is a pure pocket passer. Any team that can't consistently give his 36 year old body and multiple operation neck that pocket would make an expensive error signing him.

jhildebrand
03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
You don't learn on the bench. You learn playing. Rodgers didn't learn sitting behind Favre. He learned playing.

Also, Manning's job isn't to groom Tebow or any draftee. His job is to come here and win games. I wish this was clearly understood when discussing the Manning saga.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-13-2012, 07:58 PM
The biggest problem I have with Peyton Manning is simply that he plays for himself. He's the highest paid QB in history and what nobody seems to want to talk about is that the reason Indy couldn't win more Championships is because Manning was their salary cap. They could never afford to fix their defense or be active in FA because Manning cost too much damned money.

Tom Brady makes less money and yet he has 3 rings and has played in 5 Superbowls in less time than Manning has been in the league. Why? Because TEAMS win Championships. Indy and Manning never figured that out. He delivered great stats and lots of wins, but his teams always seemed to fall short (except when they lucked out and got the Grossman-led Bears as an opponent and their defense/running game played well above their level for the playoffs and Superbowl) because they are always missing that vital piece of the puzzle. Name a big FA the Colts have signed in the Manning era, especially one that helped the team? I can't think of any. It's not because they do so well drafting, it's because they can't ever afford to chase FAs because Manning costs too much money. He's been the highest paid QB in the league for a decade and whoever signs him will continue to make him so.

Make no mistake, Manning only wants to play because his little brother just got his second ring. I have a feeling had Eli not won the Superbowl last year, Peyton would've hung them up. Now, one of four teams is going to continue to make Manning the highest paid player in the league so he can continue his crusade to win another Superbowl to compete with his little brother.