PDA

View Full Version : Let the Bidding Begin

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 02:22 AM
Broncos put QB on the market, and and could get quite a haul in return.
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post

Twenty-six years later, the Broncos find themselves back where they started: involved in trade talks for a young franchise quarterback.
Except this time, unlike the last time, the Broncos are selling, not buying.

"This is like the (John) Elway deal, except it's working in reverse for Denver," said Boulder-based agent Tom Mills, upon hearing of the Broncos' desire to trade Jay Cutler.

"Elway said he wasn't going to Baltimore, but they drafted him anyway. So Denver was able to trade for him."

Question is, will the Broncos fare better in a Cutler trade than the Colts did in the Elway deal? For the record, Baltimore received tackle Chris Hinton, the Broncos' No. 1 draft pick in 1983, along with journeyman quarterback Mark Herrmann and a 1983 first-rounder that turned into guard Ron Solt.

That's it. Two offensive linemen and a backup quarterback. For a quarterback who would win two Super Bowls and become the first Hall of Famer in Broncos history.

So what will happen this time around? Know this before the first fax arrives with an offer: It's all about leverage.

Usually, when a team puts the "For Sale" sign on a disgruntled player, it doesn't get full value in return. But this is a 25-year-old quarterback who, unlike Elway in 1983, has played three seasons in the league and earned a Pro Bowl berth.

It's supply and demand, Economics 101. In this instance, Cutler is the only star quarterback on the market, and a half-dozen teams, maybe more, will be in hot pursuit. Tampa Bay, Detroit, Washington, Minnesota and the Jets are just a few of the possible suitors.

"That's the key," Mills said. "You wouldn't normally make an announcement that a guy is available in trade, but in this case, there's so much competition it shouldn't matter. This guy is a 10-year starter.

Enough teams covet him, they're going to have to come with their best offer. Denver should get good value."

Another key factor: The Broncos already have paid Cutler millions in bonus money, making him relatively inexpensive for the short term.

He has three years remaining on his rookie contract, a deal that will pay him only $1.035 million in base salary next season. That's chump change for a Pro Bowl quarterback.

So, for argument's sake, a team such as Detroit would be much better off dealing for a proven commodity such as Cutler than using the first pick in the draft on Georgia's Matthew Stafford, who would command upward of $40 million in guaranteed money before throwing his first pass.

The obvious question: Would the Broncos want the first pick so they could select Stafford? It's conceivable, but highly unlikely for two reasons.

First, the price tag is outrageous for an unproven player, no matter how much potential he may possess. Second, there's the Josh McDaniels factor.

McDaniels just left a system in which a sixth-rounder, Tom Brady, developed into a Hall of Famer. And which player was McDaniels trying to acquire when Cutler melted down? Matt Cassel, a former seventh-rounder.

Having seen such lesser lights thrive in the Patriots' system, and having butted heads with a former first-rounder in Cutler, it seems unlikely that McDaniels would trade Cutler, then turn around and use a high No. 1 on another quarterback.
Whether it's a high No. 1 or a low first-rounder and another draft pick or two, the Broncos figure to get a haul for Cutler. There are too many teams desperate for a quarterback for a bidding war not to break out.

"I could see a first-(rounder) and a second this year, and a first next year," said a high-profile NFL agent. "If you're looking at some unknown kid in the draft, you'd much rather have Cutler.

You're talking about a quarterback who's athletic and talented. The only question on this kid is maturity, but he's going to grow from this."

History provides few if any examples of young Pro Bowl quarterbacks being traded. Brett Favre and Steve Young were dealt away when they were young, but both were backups at the time.

So how would such a risky deal turn out in the long run? This much we already know: Tuesday's announcement that Cutler is on the block will provide a short-term benefit.
"Here's what's going on in your building: You have a lot of uncertainty among the players," said another agent. "Now at least they know what direction you're going in.

If you don't announce it, it just creates more innuendos. So now you've opened it up to the highest bidder. I don't think it diminishes his value a bit."

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 02:27 AM
A first, a second this year and a first next year according to one high profile agent.

Well that just seems too much for a whiny, pouty, bad decision making, bad haircut, no good, pissy little who the hell does he think he is quarterback to me.

Theres some REAL dumb people in the Broncos organization right now.

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Six Teams And Counting Interested In Cutler (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/31/six-teams-and-counting-interested-in-cutler/)

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2009, 10:19 p.m.
The “For Sale” sign has been planted in the front yard, and the Broncos will soon be showing potential buyers the partially-finished basement.
According to Charles Robinson and Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#), at least six teams are interested in Cutler.
The Jets, Buccaneers, Bears, Lions, 49ers, and Browns already have been identified. Per Robinson and Cole, the Jaguars have shown interest as well.
As we’ve been saying over and over until people tell us to shut up, any team contemplating using a first-round pick on a quarterback should be interested in Cutler, because unlike an unproven rookie first-rounder Cutler has shown that he can perform at the NFLhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) level.
Meanwhile, chatter persists in league circles regarding the Redskins. We heard several weeks ago that the ‘Skins are indeed interested. As one league source reiterated moments ago, the pursuit of Cutler in 2009 could be driven by the intended pursuit of the man who drafted him in 2010 — former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

omac
04-01-2009, 02:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if a team that's been quiet through all this wins the bidding. Go Houston! Schaub (a proven, relatively young starter) and pick #15, so we can get both Raji and Rey Rey! Cutler gets Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Owen Daniels! :woot:

omac
04-01-2009, 02:50 AM
"As one league source reiterated moments ago, the pursuit of Cutler in 2009 could be driven by the intended pursuit of the man who drafted him in 2010 — former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan."

I don't understand this statement.

(edit) Oh, okay, I got it. Where Shanny will coach next year. Sentence sounded like Shanahan drafted Cutler in 2010.

LordTrychon
04-01-2009, 02:53 AM
"As one league source reiterated moments ago, the pursuit of Cutler in 2009 could be driven by the intended pursuit of the man who drafted him in 2010 — former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan."

I don't understand this statement.

I think they're saying that in 2010, whoever gets Cutler would have a leg up in trying to get Shanny...

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 03:04 AM
True.

And look no further than Dan Snyder of the Washington Redskins.

I think they are prime candidates for a trade for Cutler.

One, they have not only Jason Campbell, more importantly they have Colt Brennan. Brennan has put his pinpoint accuracy on display in the few times hes been able to take the field for Washington, and directed TD drives where Campbell didnt. (preseason) Also, Colt Brennan has run the spread offense the entire time he was at Hawaii. Very accurate QB.

Two, they will be willing to give up the draft picks.

Three, they have the money to sign Cutler long term.

And four, everyone knows Snyder loves Shanny.

omac
04-01-2009, 03:15 AM
I think they're saying that in 2010, whoever gets Cutler would have a leg up in trying to get Shanny...

Yeah, I think you're right. :salute:

Makes me wonder which coach will get fired after this season. :D

omac
04-01-2009, 03:22 AM
True.

One, they have not only Jason Campbell, more importantly they have Colt Brennan. Brennan has put his pinpoint accuracy on display in the few times hes been able to take the field for Washington, and directed TD drives where Campbell didnt. (preseason) Also, Colt Brennan has run the spread offense the entire time he was at Hawaii. Very accurate QB.

Great point, specially on Brennan instead of Campbell for McDaniels' spread offense.

And you might be right, Jim Zorn may not be a head coach for long; they still could use him, though, as either an OC or a QB coach, as he also uses the WCO.

Superchop 7
04-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Zorn is a class act.

If Snyder can get Cutler Shanny "this" year he will and Jim would be the first guy to applaud it. (plus the Goodmans)

Hmmmm, I can definately see this going down.

Portis already knows the blocking scheme.

CrazyHorse
04-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I think you're right. :salute:

Makes me wonder which coach will get fired after this season. :D

Can we get Colt Brennan. He can run the spread pretty well!

broncobryce
04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I'd rather have Colt Brennan than Jason Cambell right now. That's a brilliant point. He doesn't have much value so we could get him and a shitload of picks. I'd be okay with that. Then let our genius coach draft another QB in the 7th round and turn him into a superstar. (not holding my breath on the last part)

BroncoJoe
04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I'll take an 18 pack of Coors Light for Warhorse.

tia.

broncofaninfla
04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
True.

I detest Jason Campbell and Colt Brennan is way too much of a risk, he hasn't proven anything in this league yet. I pray a trade to Washington doesn't happen.

DenBronx
04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Let the Cutler sweepstakes begin
Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Jay Cutler, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Denver Broncos have officially announced their intentions to trade quarterback Jay Cutler. (Doug Pensinger / Getty Images)
It’s no April Fools Day joke. Now that the Broncos have announced their intentions to trade Jay Cutler, the disgruntled quarterback is available to the highest bidder. And despite Cutler’s standoffish approach to his current team, newspaper columnists around the country have made their opinions abundantly clear: Bring Cutler to (fill in team name here).

The New York Post’s Mike Vaccaro says despite Cutler’s flaws, the decision is a simple one for the Jets, who should get in the front of the line for the quarterback’s services:
If Cutler hasn’t exactly covered himself in either glory or maturity during this slap-fight squabble with new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, he is still a quarterback with three intangibles that are priceless in the NFL: talent, youth and experience.

David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune suggests that landing Cutler, a former Bears fan nonetheless, would make up for GM Jerry Angelo’s apparent inability to bring offensive playmakers to the Windy City:
A move as bold as acquiring Cutler potentially could alter the legacy of a general manager maligned for his inability to judge offensive talent and fix the quarterback position. Getting Cutler, a Pro Bowl quarterback at 25, would fix it.

Roy Cummings of The Tampa Tribune says the Buccaneers haven’t hidden their interest in Cutler, noting that they were a part of the original proposed three-team swap that started this mess and were the second team (behind Detroit) to try to work a deal for him when word first got out last month that the Broncos would consider a trade. But despite their interest, Cummings suggests the Bucs might be missing two key elements to make this work: 1) the pieces to offer in a trade, and 2) the overall desire to acquire Cutler, with so many other positions of need under coach Raheem Morris‘ new regime.
One has to wonder, though, if the Bucs have the ammunition to work such a deal. They have the 19th pick in the first round of the draft, which they will almost certainly have to surrender to someone in this deal.

Without a second-round pick, though, the Bucs may fall short of matching the package of players and picks teams such as Detroit, Washington or Chicago could offer the Broncos for Cutler.

Michael Rosenberg of the Detroit Free Press makes no bones about it. The Lions have no excuse not to go after Cutler.
This is a no-brainer, and I don’t use that term in the way we normally associate with the Lions.

And lastly, we leave you with this: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Ray Ratto has written a psalm to Jay Cutler, in 12 stanzas:
Jay Cutler is exactly the kind of idea that the 49ers should be mesmerized by — if you can make sense of his career in Denver, which clearly has two distinct and opposite poles.

Lonestar
04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Jay Cutler's time in Denver appears to have run out after the Broncos said Tuesday night they are set to solicit trade offers for the Pro Bowl quarterback. Cutler has wanted a trade out of Denver for several weeks, but wouldn't discuss owner Pat Bowlen's statement. "I'm not talking about it," he said via text message to the Denver Post.

With Chris Simms as the only other viable QB on their roster, the Broncos are likely to want a starting-caliber signal caller in return for Cutler. Earlier this month, NFL.com analyst Pat Kirwan said bidding for Cutler could start at two first-round picks.

With several teams sure to make a run at Cutler, USA TODAY examines the chances of the contenders:

HOT ON CUTLER'S TRAIL
-- Detroit Lions: The Lions don't have a viable QB to offer, but they have a lot of draft capital to surrender. They own the first overall pick and three of the first 33 picks in April. The Lions may have already tested the Cutler market when free agency started, and he would instantly provide a building block for a franchise that's starting over. Giving the Broncos the first overall pick would allow them a chance to cherry-pick a rookie replacement in either Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez.

-- New York Jets: The team has been waiting for the Broncos to make Cutler available, and he could be a fitting replacement to Brett Favre. But the Jets do not have an NFL-ready quarterback to offer in return, and they currently say Brett Ratliff, Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge will compete for the job. If they corral Cutler, they may need to involve a third team that can send a QB to Denver and then surrender multiple high draft picks.

-- San Francisco 49ers: They've been without a No. 1 quarterback for more than a year, and Cutler would be a coup for new coach Mike Singletary. They own the 10th pick, which is a good starting pick, and could offer 2005 top overall pick Alex Smith in return. He won't get the deal done, but he remains a candidate for mid-career rejuvenation who could flourish if he gets out of the Bay Area.

-- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs tried to swing a deal for Cutler when free agency opened. Luke McCown is currently atop their depth chart, so they need an upgrade. They have just one pick (19th) in top 80, so they might have to surrender two first-round selections to get Cutler, even if they can get a third team such as Cleveland involved.

-- Washington Redskins: An intriguing option in that the Redskins can offer the best starting-ready QB in a two-team deal. Current Washington starter Jason Campbell was probably the MVP of the first half last season, and would offer the Broncos a stable, if not top-tier, signal caller. Cutler would appease Redskins owner Dan Snyder's indulgence in star players. And the Redskins can offer the 13th pick in this year's draft.

ALSO IN THE MIX
-- Carolina Panthers: Though the team is entertaining a contract extension for 34-year-old incumbent Jake Delhomme, his most promising days are likely behind him. Acquiring Cutler, however, would be difficult for a team without a first-round pick and that doesn't select until 59th.

-- Chicago Bears: Coach Lovie Smith has said he's happy heading into next season with Kyle Orton as his starter. But the Bears at least have to consider a deal for Cutler. The price would be steep, but he'd offer more long-term stability than Orton.

-- Jacksonville Jaguars: Incumbent David Garrard regressed in his second season as starter. Cutler would obviously be an upgrade, and the Jaguars have the eighth overall pick to offer as a starting point.

-- Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings are motivated to get better at quarterback and already explored a deal for Cutler in February. Even though they subsequently acquired Sage Rosenfels, Cutler represents such an upgrade over him and Tarvaris Jackson they're obligated to consider what it would take to make another run.

-- Seattle Seahawks: They already have a Pro Bowl quarterback in Matt Hasselbeck, even if injuries limited him in 2008. But Hasselbeck is 33, and doesn't offer the franchise the same future that Cutler could. They might be able to convince the Broncos that the last few years of Hasselbeck's effectiveness and the fourth overall pick, owned by Seattle, are the best deal available for Cutler.

-- Tennessee Titans: It's rare that a player as talented as Cutler becomes available, so the Titans could consider a run at the guy who played college ball down the street at Vanderbilt. He would likely push Kerry Collins back into a backup job, and probably end the Tennessee era for Vince Young. He might even be used as trade bait, though the Broncos probably aren't looking to take on a project in return for Cutler.

ON THE PERIPHERY
-- Arizona Cardinals: It's unlikely they'll be players for Cutler after signing Kurt Warner to a new deal. But they could offer Matt Leinart (drafted one spot ahead of Cutler in 2006) and become involved in a three-team deal.

-- Cleveland Browns: Cutler probably doesn't make sense on a team with Brady Quinn (a 2007 first-round draft pick) and Derek Anderson (a 2007 Pro Bowler) already competing for the job. But it's possible new coach Eric Mangini sees Cutler as an upgrade over both players. And the Browns could be players in the sweepstakes in a three-way deal in which they ship one of their QBs to Denver. Note that Quinn played at Notre Dame in a Charlie Weis system that Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels was reared in.

In summary: Whatever the outcome, trading a Pro Bowl quarterback who had been the face of the franchise is a last-resort option for the Broncos. So the price will be high, and they'll need to be satisfied they're getting a quarterback in return that can replace Cutler very quickly.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/04/whos-most-likely-to-land-jay-cutler-examining-the-contenders.html

Traveler
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
OT: For those that have been following the team for more than 20+ years, it appears we will be switching from being offensively dominate back to defensive. Welcome back Orange Crush!

tubby
04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Cutler and Marshall to DET for Calvin Johnson #20 and #65