PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen: Cutler Good As Gone

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 02:06 AM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post (mklis@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Bowlen: Cutler good as gone)
Pat Bowlen is fed up.
And as Broncoland has come to understand during this tumultuous offseason, when Pat Bowlen has had it, people pay with their jobs. The most important of people.

Jay Cutler, the Broncos' star quarterback, is all but gone. Frustrated at what he perceives as Cutler's unwillingness to communicate, Bowlen announced Tuesday that he has given his front office permission to begin the process of working on trading Cutler.
"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by head coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful," Bowlen said in a statement.

"A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos. We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."

This is no April Fool's joke. Bowlen was referring to a conversation Tuesday morning between Bus Cook, Cutler's agent, and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders.

According to a source close to Cutler, Xanders told Cook he had better get in touch with his client because Bowlen wanted to speak to his quarterback.

By Tuesday evening, Bowlen had reached his breaking point.
Thus, Bowlen, in the 25th anniversary of owning the club, has dismissed iconic head coach Mike Shanahan and is about to dump his franchise quarterback in the same offseason.

Shanahan, who had been the Broncos' coach the previous 14 seasons, was fired Dec. 30 and replaced 12 days later by McDaniels.

Here's a twist — while Bowlen was declaring the end of the Cutler era, Shanahan sank a hole-in-one, according to his former attorney Harvey Steinberg.

Shanahan got his first hole-in-one soon after getting fired by the Oakland Raiders in 1989.

Cutler had heard about Bowlen's statement Tuesday but said by text message, "I'm not talking about it."
A source close to Cutler said the quarterback was surprised by Bowlen's declaration. In recent days, Cutler had packed up his car in Nashville and had it shipped to Denver, where he intended to show up for the team's first minicamp April 17-19.

The source added that Cutler said he has not received phone calls from the Broncos since he received a text from McDaniels a week ago Tuesday.

Whatever the interpretation, Bowlen decided to exercise his ownership powers and end all confusion. He's the boss, and he says the team will trade Cutler.

The Washington Redskins are among the leading candidates to pull off a deal for Cutler.

The Redskins have a proven young quarterback in Jason Campbell and would meet the Broncos' preference of dealing Cutler outside their American Football Conference.

The Redskins also have the No. 13 selection in this year's draft on April 25, one spot behind the Broncos.

The New York Jets also have been aggressive in their pursuit of Cutler. The Jets, who have extra picks in the third and fourth rounds, are better stocked for the upcoming draft than the Redskins, who don't have picks in the second and fourth round.

Four other National Football Conference teams — Tampa Bay, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit — have previously expressed interest in Cutler. Suddenly, a situation that was both unthinkable and inevitable is about to occur.

Unthinkable because Cutler is only 25 years old and was voted to the Pro Bowl during only his second full season as a starter.

A young, franchise quarterback is considered the rarest of commodities, to the point of almost becoming untouchable for trade.

Almost. For as the trading period opened late on Feb. 26, McDaniels discussed a proposed three-team deal that would have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay and former New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver.

The deal never materialized, and McDaniels said discussions never got serious. But Cutler was disappointed upon learning his coach had thought about dealing him.

More significantly, Cutler came to distrust McDaniels to the point that two subsequent clear-the-air conversations between the two only intensified the young quarterback's displeasure.
On March 15, a day after Cutler and Cook met personally with McDaniels and Xanders and a day before the Broncos began

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0316/20090316__Jmcdaniels031609podium~p1_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=2375575 )

Whats his name again? Jay what?

their offseason conditioning program, Cutler formally issued a trade request.

The stormy relationship seemed to calm a week ago Tuesday. McDaniels repeatedly reiterated to a large media gathering at the NFL owners meetings in Dana Point, Calif., that he wasn't going to trade Cutler. They would work it out. He's the Broncos' quarterback.
After that press gathering, Cutler, who has been staying in Nashville through most of the offseason, told The Denver Post he and McDaniels were going to talk that night. The two exchanged text messages, but both sides agree a conversation never took place. McDaniels had said last Tuesday that he had received messages from other teams inquiring about Cutler, but the team wasn't responding. It appeared then that the team would wait until its first minicamp before reaching its breaking point with Cutler.

Kapaibro
04-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Bowlen told Cook he wanted Jay to call

Jay didn't call

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bus Cook? Did you pass the message on to Jay?

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Bowlen told Cook he wanted Jay to call

Jay didn't call

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bus Cook? Did you pass the message on to Jay?

No kidding.

Kapaibro
04-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Bus Cook, you have screwed the Broncos good and proper you mo fo SOB

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 02:59 AM
I dont know. Gary Miller said all McDaniels had to do is tell Cutler he was in no manner trade bait, and McDaniels said he wouldnt do it. He said if a team offered him something for Cutler he thought would help the team, he would pull the trigger.

Same thing hes been saying.

Well, now he'll get his chance.

Kapaibro
04-01-2009, 03:08 AM
To be fair, this announcement seems to be Bowlen taking charge.

Why is it so hard for Jay to understand that no player is untradable?

Should McD really lie and say Jay will NEVER be traded?

omac
04-01-2009, 03:11 AM
Campbell and "proven quarterback" ... not really, and definitely not fit for McDaniels' offense.

Straight up Haynesworth for Cutler, if the Broncos can afford it, hehehe. :D

McDaniels believes he can make any QB a star in his system, but they (Nolan and McDaniels) know that they'll need a dominant NT to make their defense work. Haynesworth demands double teams.

Elevation inc
04-01-2009, 03:14 AM
i think it is quite clear who is in charge in denver and its also quite clear this is probally the scenario wanted all along by the denver FO....now the blame...some say can be passed to cutler, and in a sense MCd gets his Qb of choosing, something he always wanted anyway....

so sad.....

Elevation inc
04-01-2009, 03:17 AM

no but he shouldnt go on TV either and state jays our Qb then say he cant predict the future though....he really didnt make a commitment and in the end jay doesnt want to play for MCD and MCd certainly didnt want jay as his QB.

I mean they used text messages, did anyone actually pick up the phone and call cutler???? no they called his agent and told him to talk to cutler.....its all spin....by the FO.

all parties screwed up here and all parties better be careful when you get what you wish for.....Bowlen as an owner could see this franchise lose a lot of money, MCd can lose his job, and cutler runs the risk of a sliding career in a blackhole like detroit.

No parties are certain to come out on top here at this point thats for sure.....Welcome to the land of the unknown bronco fans

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 03:21 AM

Simple. Hes saying, I want to play and devote myself to a team where that is not something I gotta worry about. At least at this point of my career.

I do not want to devote myself to a legacy in which each off season it is possible I can be traded if someone offers the Broncos the right deal.

Cutler says if you dont want to give that to me, then Id like to be traded.

Which is his right. Its a business, right?
Well in this business, Jays business.........thats what hes looking for.

He didnt demand it, in fact said he would show up to all mandatory team functions.

Den21vsBal19
04-01-2009, 03:28 AM
What a plank.......................:tsk:

Any normal Joe that ignored repeated attempts from his boss(es) to get in touch would get fired without any compo :tsk: I don't give a rat's ass about what McDaniels has done, or has/hasn't said, Cutler's behaviour has been that of a spoilt little brat, completely unprofessional.

'I'm going to take my ball & go home!!!!':pout:

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 03:39 AM

Any normal Joe that ignored repeated attempts from his boss(es) to get in touch would get fired without any compo :tsk: I don't give a rat's ass about what McDaniels has done, or has/hasn't said, Cutler's behaviour has been that of a spoilt little brat, completely unprofessional.

Why? Because he asked to be traded?

The Broncos did the same thing to him.

So why arent they completely unprofessional?

BroncoTech
04-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Baloney.
This is NOT the same situation Jay enlisted for. Part of the reason we got Jay is also along the same lines as why the colts didn't get Elway. Part of the allure in coming to Denver was to work under the 'mastermind' and be nurtured by like-able mentors. Suddenly the entire organization is turned upside down, and who wants to be the last rat off a sinking ship?

The videos I've seen of Bowlen seemed less than coherent of late and it's looking like this is turning into the new raider nation with a boss like Al. Hate to tell you but we're doomed for next season.

If I was an a player in the draft I wouldn't want to come here, would you?

Den21vsBal19
04-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Why? Because he asked to be traded?

The Broncos did the same thing to him.

So why arent they completely unprofessional?
Talking to the press before talking to the Broncos ........................ Unprofessional

Refusing communications from his employers ............................ Unprofessional

Elevation inc
04-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Talking to the press before talking to the Broncos ........................ Unprofessional

Refusing communications from his employers ............................ Unprofessional

text messaging your players, and not picking up the phone.....stupid.

trying to contact cutler through his agent with out calling cutler directly.....Stupid

please cutler has faults here but lets not twist him into some supreme enemy....

Kapaibro
04-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Let's all remember who is really at fault

BUS COOK

Denver is the new Green Bay/Tennessee

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 04:31 AM

Telling him hes the face of the franchise, hes the man...................then trying to trade him...............unprofessional.

Trying to trade the guy whos chain youve been jerking and showing your offense to............unprofessional.

Not taking calls from him when trying to trade him when all he did was give his all to the Broncos.................unprofessional.

Lie to his face about youre inquiries to trade him...........unprofessional.

Saying youre committed to him but cant tell the future................unprofessional.

Trying to trade away your single most valuable player, a 25 year old franchise QB...................unheard of ignorance.

omac
04-01-2009, 04:55 AM

Well, let's remember. When Jay got hold of the rumors early on, he asked Cook to call the Broncos to find out what was happening, but they wouldn't talk to him. This situation could've been avoided if McDaniels/Xanders were willing to communicate with Cutler early, when the whispers of the trade first started. Remember, they could've talk to Jay's agent early on when they had the chance, but they chose not to.

Later, an assurance that he was part of Denver's future plans during their face-to-face meeting was all Cutler wanted, but McDaniels wouldn't commit to that. That's really the bottom line.

From there, Cutler set his sights on getting traded to a team that was planning on having him in their future.

tomjonesrocks
04-01-2009, 06:10 AM
This was updated (I guess):
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12040620

The quote:

"A source close to Cutler said the quarterback was surprised by Bowlen's declaration. In recent days, Cutler had packed up his car in Nashville and had it shipped to Denver, where he intended to show up for the team's first minicamp April 17-19. The source added that Cutler said he has not received phone calls from the Broncos since he received a text from McDaniels a week ago Tuesday. "

...annoys me...

The poll seems about the same split as we have here -- 60% of fans thrilled the Broncos will now be looking for a new franchise QB for up to the next couple of decades while 40% are upset about it.

Elevation inc
04-01-2009, 06:14 AM

The quote:

"A source close to Cutler said the quarterback was surprised by Bowlen's declaration. In recent days, Cutler had packed up his car in Nashville and had it shipped to Denver, where he intended to show up for the team's first minicamp April 17-19. The source added that Cutler said he has not received phone calls from the Broncos since he received a text from McDaniels a week ago Tuesday. "

...annoys me...

sounds like denver FO isnt the saints they claim to be......

tomjonesrocks
04-01-2009, 06:39 AM

Also if the Skins wind up with Cutler in the same offseason as they get Haynesworth as speculated in this article...well, that's an acceptable offseason I suppose. I'm glad we can be such a help to them.

Den21vsBal19
04-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Telling him hes the face of the franchise, hes the man...................then trying to trade him...............unprofessional.

Trying to trade the guy whos chain youve been jerking and showing your offense to............unprofessional.

Not taking calls from him when trying to trade him when all he did was give his all to the Broncos.................unprofessional.

Lie to his face about youre inquiries to trade him...........unprofessional.

Saying youre committed to him but cant tell the future................unprofessional.

Trying to trade away your single most valuable player, a 25 year old franchise QB...................unheard of ignorance.

Sorry, but that's the only one I can agree with.....................

EastCoastBronco
04-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Just trade his ass and get down to business. The sooner Jay and his buddy Bus "Bob Sugar" Cook get out of here the better. We don't need a primadonna QB around here anyway. If Heimerdinger can leave here and win 12 straight games with Kerry Collins as his man, what does that tell you. I think we'll be just fine.

CoachChaz
04-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Maybe I'm just crazy, but if I dont want my boss to get rid of me...I make myself unmovable. Regardles of claims that "no one is untradable", does anyone really think they would trade Cutler if he put up Pro Bowl numbers every year? Seriously...they arent that stupid. But I suppose everyone is going to continue to read into this and make things up based on their own interpretation anyway. have fun.

Tned
04-01-2009, 07:39 AM

Yes, that's called managing player egos, rather than engorging your own ego. Add to that McDaniels decided to talk to a reporter about Cutler's "drinking problem" and lack of "football smarts".

There is no question that Cutler has handled this poorly and appears to be getting very bad advice from his agent, but there is also no doubt that McDaniels has done a HORRIBLE job of managing this situation, UNLESS his goal all along was to drive Cutler off the team, with or without Cassell as his replacement.

Elevation inc
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Just trade his ass and get down to business. The sooner Jay and his buddy Bus "Bob Sugar" Cook get out of here the better. We don't need a primadonna QB around here anyway. If Heimerdinger can leave here and win 12 straight games with Kerry Collins as his man, what does that tell you. I think we'll be just fine.

well lets not get crazy.....

Tennesse's defense was 100 times better than ours, and there run game had a 1-2 nasty punch, while we had backs that couldnt even stay healthy enough to punch for a third down.....

Tned
04-01-2009, 07:46 AM

The quote:

...annoys me...

The poll seems about the same split as we have here -- 60% of fans thrilled the Broncos will now be looking for a new franchise QB for up to the next couple of decades while 40% are upset about it.

Yea, I saw this posted last night (not about the car being packed, but about Cutler being surprised).

So, WTH is the real story here? Is Cutler trying to manipulate the press, so he doesn't look bad for his next team? Is McDaniels and Xanders manipulating Bowlen?

Is Bowlen simply confused (he said he didn't remember talking to Jay following the Shanahan firing, but mentioned it in his press conference)?

CoachChaz
04-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Yes, that's called managing player egos, rather than engorging your own ego. Add to that McDaniels decided to talk to a reporter about Cutler's "drinking problem" and lack of "football smarts".

There is no question that Cutler has handled this poorly and appears to be getting very bad advice from his agent, but there is also no doubt that McDaniels has done a HORRIBLE job of managing this situation, UNLESS his goal all along was to drive Cutler off the team, with or without Cassell as his replacement.

or maybe it was Cutler trying all along to get moved. Somewhere in the middle, the truth lies, but IMO...it looks like both sides are getting their wish.

broncofaninfla
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Report: Redskins “Among The Leading Candidates” To Get Cutler (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/01/report-redskins-among-the-leading-candidates-to-get-cutler/)

Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2009, 7:07 a.m.
Yahoo! Sports published on Tuesday night a list of six teams interested in Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, whom the Broncos will trade.
The list didn’t include the Redskins.
But it now should.
According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, the Redskins are one of the leading candidates to land Cutler (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12040620).
The move isn’t surprising to us; we’ve heard chatter for several weeks that the Redskins are interested. Last month, executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato issued a carefully-worded non-denial denial of interest in Cutler.
Another key angle at play here is the status of former Denver coach Mike Shanahan. The Redskins could be eyeballing a one-two punch that would involve getting Cutler now, and then getting Shanahan in 2010.
And maybe, as our pal Todd Wright of Sporting News Radio pointed out during our Tuesday night visit with him, the ‘Skins would pull off an April/May coaching change, swapping out Jim Zorn for Shanahan.
Of course, such a move would make it difficult to comply with the Rooney Rule, since anyone with any sense would realize that Shanahan is the target, if Zorn were to be fired so late in the offseason. Barring an Art Shell-style sham interview, the Redskins would have to factor a hefty fine into the budget for buying out Zorn and acquiring Shanahan.

I am shocked to see that there would be ANY interest in having Campbell as our QB. With the gross incompetitance McD has shown so far I can't help but think this is a possibility that could play out. With his worthless free agent signings and running our franchise QB out of town, McD will go down in history not only as the coach who sunk this once proud franchise but as one of the worst head coach selections in NFL history. I can't recall a coach EVER that started of his tenor like this. Get ready for an embarrasing season next season with this idiot in charge. As a fan I'll watch every stinking minute of it but will celebrate the moment he too is fired by Bowlen.

Tned
04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
or maybe it was Cutler trying all along to get moved. Somewhere in the middle, the truth lies, but IMO...it looks like both sides are getting their wish.

Yep, I would agree with this.

Now, the only hope is that the fans get what they want, a winning team sooner rather than later.

tomjonesrocks
04-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Maybe I'm just crazy, but if I dont want my boss to get rid of me...I make myself unmovable. Regardles of claims that "no one is untradable", does anyone really think they would trade Cutler if he put up Pro Bowl numbers every year? Seriously...they arent that stupid. But I suppose everyone is going to continue to read into this and make things up based on their own interpretation anyway. have fun.

Arrrghh...

Give me a break. You've got a job where you're not getting along with your boss. With a company that's in disarray, with wholesale management changes. Not only that, one part of their business is in the shit can. You know you're vastly underpaid and have more than 10 different potential employers with businesses that are at least as good and in most cases better that are chomping at the bit to get you. That will pay you vastly more than you make now, tomorrow.

But you're going to do a bang up job at your current company so your boss who is underappreciating your value won't fire you instead?

What world are you living in?

Elevation inc
04-01-2009, 08:11 AM

um he is not on mandatory time....its his vacation period!!! im pretty sure most bosses wont trade or fire you if you didnt return a text message while on vacation......he said he would report for minicamp.....thats all that mattered....just becasue bowlens feelings were a bit flustered because he couldnt get a return text doesnt make his declaration the right thing to do either

CoachChaz
04-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Yet another excuse.

EastCoastBronco
04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Bottom line: I have no freaking control over any of it and speculation is bullshit. The sooner this thing gets cleared up, one way or the other, and we get the ship moving forward instead of sideways, the better. This past month has been pure bullshit and I'll be glad when it's over.

red98
04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Bottom line: I have no freaking control over any of it and speculation is bullshit. The sooner this thing gets cleared up, one way or the other, and we get the ship moving forward instead of sideways, the better. This past month has been pure bullshit and I'll be glad when it's over.

Sure the team will move forward soon and Jay will be an ex-Bronco etc.

But this won't be over for YEARS. People are still arguing about the Portis/Bailey trade today.

McKid and Cutler will be linked and compared and questioned for the
next 10yrs.

EastCoastBronco
04-01-2009, 08:44 AM

But this won't be over for YEARS. People are still arguing about the Portis/Bailey trade today.

next 10yrs.

And all of it won't change a thing...

omac
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM

next 10yrs.

Maybe they'll meet a few times in the superbowl, with Cutler QB'ing one team, and McDaniels OC-ing the other ... just kidding, hehehe :D