PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels Shows Audacity

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Krieger: McDaniels shows audacity
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post (dkrieger@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Krieger: McDaniels shows audacity)

Before he organizes his first practice or calls his first play, Josh McDaniels has an indelible Denver legacy: In his first three months on the job, he drove away the franchise quarterback.

Perhaps he'll be around long enough to overshadow that legacy with brilliant successes of his own. Perhaps not. But in the colorful history of audacious rookie coaches, McDaniels just made the top 10.

The character traits are entirely different, but for Jay Cutler, McDaniels turned himself into Frank Kush, the coach John Elway refused to play for in Baltimore, prompting the trade that launched the Broncos' golden age.

Blame Cutler for immaturity if you like. Blame him for overreacting to trade talks. But know this: Cutler's refusal to communicate with Broncos brass over the past 10 days was not a fit of pique.

It was the result of a calculated decision that he doesn't want to play for this guy.
McDaniels may never have wanted him to. We really don't know.

The young coach's mealy mouthed assurances — "Jay Cutler is our quarterback" — were reminiscent of Bill Clinton. They actually depended on what the meaning of "is" is.

They made it impossible to know what he really thinks. Cutler may have been petulant, but at least he was honest.

McDaniels' power play in his first few weeks as an NFL head coach was as audacious as it was puzzling. Did no one ever tell him that the first priority of a rookie coach should be to develop good working relationships with his key veterans?

The notorious trade talks for Matt Cassel did not ruin this relationship all by themselves. McDaniels might have overcome those with a concerted effort he never made. Rather, it was pride and it was arrogance.

McDaniels refused to clue Cutler in before those talks, refused to come clean afterward, and refused to the end to be the bigger man, to admit he had fumbled the ball and try to make it right.

Assuming this is not a reflection of rank incompetence, you have to conclude he wanted this outcome. You have to assume he believes he's better off with another quarterback, whoever that might turn out to be.

And so you are left to choose between the football acumen of McDaniels and Mike Shanahan, the man who saw Cutler as a franchise player.

Owner Pat Bowlen, who has come off as McDaniels' employee rather than the other way around, put the onus on Cutler in his statement Tuesday night, much as McDaniels did last week at the owners' meetings.

In a certain myopic sense, they're right. Cutler could have shrugged it all off and returned. But when you're counting on a 25-year-old player to be the bigger man than your head coach, your organization has the usual dynamic backward. Clearly, Cutler has decided he'll be better off somewhere else.

Just as McDaniels cannot admit his mistakes in dealing with Cutler, Bowlen is unwilling to consider that his whirlwind romance of McDaniels might have been a tad hurried.

A generation ago, forced to choose between a coach and a franchise quarterback, Bowlen chose the quarterback, firing Dan Reeves.

A generation later, he chose the coach. You may say Cutler is no Elway, but there's another difference, too: Reeves wasn't Bowlen's hire.

McDaniels was. For Bowlen, too, this looks all about pride.
For Broncos fans, it is no longer about who did what. It is about the good of the team. And the Broncos are about to lose the only asset that distinguished them from a bad football team.

This is not to re-engage the Cutler argument. Yes, he had a losing record as a starter. Yes, the Broncos had two of the worst defenses in their history over that span.

Yes, when the defense performed, Cutler's record was stellar. We know all this. Everyone is entitled to an opinion about Cutler's ability and potential.
But given Shanahan's opinion, which carried a lot of weight in this town until three months ago, Cutler's replacement becomes the crucial question.

Generally speaking, you don't disparage a player before trying to trade him. Nor do you announce plans to trade him. Such moves do not normally enhance your bargaining position.

So now we'll see how McDaniels picks up the pieces. He can demand a veteran quarterback as part of the Cutler deal or he can prepare to draft a quarterback later this month and go with Chris Simms for now.

Maybe this is the way he wanted it — to be rid of Cutler and able to blame him for the split at the same time. But that will work for fans only if McDaniels manages to build a competitive team around his new guy, whoever that turns out to be.
In his first three months on the job, the Broncos' new coach has driven off the franchise quarterback and made it difficult to believe anything he says. Give him this: Dude works fast.

-----------------------------------------------

How freakin dumb does this picture look now????????
McMuffin is a CLOWN. And so is Bowlen for backing up his headcoach
in the national media instead of backing up BOTH.

DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/mcdanielsjersey_090324.jpg

MCLIAR.

LoyalSoldier
04-01-2009, 12:52 AM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7593/imscrewed.jpg

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 12:58 AM
You reap what you sow McDaniels.

Dont look at it personally. Just business. Cutler doesnt want to play for you dude.

Cutler is not your quarterback.

Cutler is not your quarterback.

We can all see the future now.........

and Cutler is not your quarterback.

For the Broncos sake, not yours, I hope your scouting department hits their marks this year.

I also hope you stay here long enough to clean out your locker and leave.

:salute::salute::salute:

omac
04-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Very well written article, WARHORSE. :salute:

Here's hoping Jay and McDaniels have a lot of success, albeit with different teams. :cheers:

fcspikeit
04-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Well I can't say I'm surprised, McDaniels wouldn't commit to not trading Cutler.

Everyone who felt this could be worked out was talking about what McDaniels needed to say, Everyone felt McDaniels needed to tell Cutler flat out. You will not be traded! It only made sense for him to tell Cutler that if he didn't plan on trading him.. The problem is, McDaniels never said that.

I guess now he'll get what he wanted.. I don't blame him for not liking Cutler, I mean he didn't have anything invested in him. Still, I hoped he would do what was best for the team..

Cutler will be fine wherever he goes. I can't blame him for not wanting to work with a guy who in the end proved he didn't really care if he was on the team or not.

I wish Cutler would have at least maintained contact with Bowlen. If I fault him for anything in all this, that would be it.. He obviously has 0 respect for McDaniels. How can you work that close with someone you don't respect?

I really don't know why I had hopes this could be worked out? After all, Cutler asked for a trade. He wouldn't have done that if he hadn't already made his mind up. He had never given me a reason to doubt his word. He didn't flip flop back and forth. He made it clear what he wanted; he came right out and told the world why he was upset. McDaniels didn't feel Cutler’s value was greater then his need to maintain his anyone can be traded philosophy..

Truth is, even if this didn’t all go down. I doubt Cutler and him would have got along. Madaniels needs a yes man at QB. Few coaches can work with independent thinkers. I read how Landry and Stauback (SP?) didn’t really get along because of that very reason. It was also said to be the same with Noel and Bradshaw.. Many of us already know Reeves and Elway’s relationship dealt with the same issues.

I personally like a QB with personality, someone who isn’t afraid of disagreeing with the HC and taking charge on the field. Cutler will never be the yes Sr. no Sr. type Brady and Cassel are. He would never fully submit his will to coach McDaniels is always right, no matter what..

I was really looking forward to him being the broncos QB next year, but what is the point in him playing for McDaniels if the 2 would never be able to get along. At least this way the McDaniels firing day will come a little sooner.. Even if McDaniels does turn out to be a good X’s and O’s type of coach, why play for someone you don’t like and can’t respect?

I guess what I’m saying is that this split will work out for the best for both Cutler and McDaniels. They are better off apart. Truthfully, the only one who is losing out by this split is the broncos.. Not being able to work with Cutler has made the broncos a worse football team.

People seem to be overlooking that in all this. McDaniels said he would do what was best for the football team. Well, I can’t see how losing Cutler was best for the Broncos. This was never about what was best for the Broncos. It was always about what was best for McDaniels.. Just like cutting Leach wasn’t what was best for the broncos.

Think on this, we are to believe McDaniels risked upsetting Cutler to better the football team. What’s best for the team is all that matters right? Now after he lost out on Cassel, who else do we have? Didn’t it only make sense for him to do what was best for the team and come right out and say he wasn’t going to trade Cutler? Why is it acceptable to examine trades for your best player but it isn’t acceptable for the coach to have to commit to not trading a player the team desperately needs? Is the coach bigger then the team? He can’t change his stance on something for the welfare of the team?

None of this matters anyways, what’s done is done. McDaniels has never sough the Broncos organization as I see it. To him the modal of a football franchise is the patriots. He set out to save the Broncos from their losing ways. He set out to convert this team into what he thinks a winner is. His conversion is almost complete. The uniforms might be the same but the Broncos I have been cheering for, for over 20 years have been taken over.

Shanahan did the same thing when he came in, he even went as far as changing the uniforms. But one constant remained; it was easy to make the transition as long as #7 was still under center. Yes, a player held the link between fans and franchise in that instance. He was what kept the Broncos being the Broncos. What now is the carry over to ease the transition in this regime change?

This new team’s identity is yet to be defined, but from where I’m sitting I can already see the fruits are less then desirable to the eye. Putting all blame aside, I am mostly just saddened by the death of the old one.. But I guess all great things must come to an end.

Lonestar
04-01-2009, 01:00 AM

Here's hoping Jay and McDaniels have a lot of success, albeit with different teams. :cheers:

it was kriegers article will be in the DP in the morning..

dave krieger
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/31/2009 09:46:28 PM MDT
Updated: 03/31/2009 09:48:32 PM MDT

omac
04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
it was kriegers article will be in the DP in the morning..

dave krieger
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/31/2009 09:46:28 PM MDT
Updated: 03/31/2009 09:48:32 PM MDT

Oh, okay. :cheers:

omac
04-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Nice writeup, fcspikeit! :salute:

Coming into this season, I really believed all we needed was a defense and a tough, non-injury prone RB that could consistently get 3 to 4 yards each play.

When McDaniels was hired, I thought the offense might take a step or two backwards, before rocketing through outer space. When we got Nolan, I thought at least now, he'd train our players to be fundamentally sound on defense.

I was thinking superbowl soon. :D

When the Cutler trade rumor got out, I was shocked; when Cutler asked for a trade, I kinda thought it was inevitable at that point.

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 01:11 AM

Sorry, I didnt write it.....forgot to put Krieger on there.

But thanks anyways..........:beer:

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Well I can't say I'm surprised, McDaniels wouldn't commit to not trading Cutler.

Everyone who felt this could be worked out was talking about what McDaniels needed to say, Everyone felt McDaniels needed to tell Cutler flat out. You will not be traded! It only made sense for him to tell Cutler that if he didn't plan on trading him.. The problem is, McDaniels never said that.

I guess now he'll get what he wanted.. I don't blame him for not liking Cutler, I mean he didn't have anything invested in him. Still, I hoped he would do what was best for the team..

Cutler will be fine wherever he goes. I can't blame him for not wanting to work with a guy who in the end proved he didn't really care if he was on the team or not.

I wish Cutler would have at least maintained contact with Bowlen. If I fault him for anything in all this, that would be it.. He obviously has 0 respect for McDaniels. How can you work that close with someone you don't respect?

I really don't know why I had hopes this could be worked out? After all, Cutler asked for a trade. He wouldn't have done that if he hadn't already made his mind up. He had never given me a reason to doubt his word. He didn't flip flop back and forth. He made it clear what he wanted; he came right out and told the world why he was upset. McDaniels didn't feel Cutler’s value was greater then his need to maintain his anyone can be traded philosophy..

Truth is, even if this didn’t all go down. I doubt Cutler and him would have got along. Madaniels needs a yes man at QB. Few coaches can work with independent thinkers. I read how Landry and Stauback (SP?) didn’t really get along because of that very reason. It was also said to be the same with Noel and Bradshaw.. Many of us already know Reeves and Elway’s relationship dealt with the same issues.

I personally like a QB with personality, someone who isn’t afraid of disagreeing with the HC and taking charge on the field. Cutler will never be the yes Sr. no Sr. type Brady and Cassel are. He would never fully submit his will to coach McDaniels is always right, no matter what..

I was really looking forward to him being the broncos QB next year, but what is the point in him playing for McDaniels if the 2 would never be able to get along. At least this way the McDaniels firing day will come a little sooner.. Even if McDaniels does turn out to be a good X’s and O’s type of coach, why play for someone you don’t like and can’t respect?

I guess what I’m saying is that this split will work out for the best for both Cutler and McDaniels. They are better off apart. Truthfully, the only one who is losing out by this split is the broncos.. Not being able to work with Cutler has made the broncos a worse football team.

People seem to be overlooking that in all this. McDaniels said he would do what was best for the football team. Well, I can’t see how losing Cutler was best for the Broncos. This was never about what was best for the Broncos. It was always about what was best for McDaniels.. Just like cutting Leach wasn’t what was best for the broncos.

Think on this, we are to believe McDaniels risked upsetting Cutler to better the football team. What’s best for the team is all that matters right? Now after he lost out on Cassel, who else do we have? Didn’t it only make sense for him to do what was best for the team and come right out and say he wasn’t going to trade Cutler? Why is it acceptable to examine trades for your best player but it isn’t acceptable for the coach to have to commit to not trading a player the team desperately needs? Is the coach bigger then the team? He can’t change his stance on something for the welfare of the team?

None of this matters anyways, what’s done is done. McDaniels has never sough the Broncos organization as I see it. To him the modal of a football franchise is the patriots. He set out to save the Broncos from their losing ways. He set out to convert this team into what he thinks a winner is. His conversion is almost complete. The uniforms might be the same but the Broncos I have been cheering for, for over 20 years have been taken over.

Shanahan did the same thing when he came in, he even went as far as changing the uniforms. But one constant remained; it was easy to make the transition as long as #7 was still under center. Yes, a player held the link between fans and franchise in that instance. He was what kept the Broncos being the Broncos. What now is the carry over to ease the transition in this regime change?

This new team’s identity is yet to be defined, but from where I’m sitting I can already see the fruits are less then desirable to the eye. Putting all blame aside, I am mostly just saddened by the death of the old one.. But I guess all great things must come to an end.

I think the problem is Bowlen did not return his calls when Jay was trying to call him about the trade rumours in the first two days.

THEN, Bowlen backed up Josh in the media and hung Jay out to dry.

Jay was probably thinking, "What the F did I do that brought this on? Seriously? What did I do wrong to be the subject of a trade and to have the guy who was calling me the man two weeks ago is now saying I dont know how to act when I just got blindsided? WTH??"

Bowlen looks stupid as hell firing Shanahan, then saying I RUN THE SHOW, and then this happens. He CANT say he didnt know about it, even if he didnt cause he would look pretty ignorant. Not to mention the fact that he brought in a 32 year old coach with no HC experience, then fired the goodmans.............Im pretty sure this may have been about Cutler.........then replaced him with a young Xman in Xanders.

So who was there to help Josh deal with the players since everyone knows young HCs come in with guns blazing normally? No one, and that was Bowlens fault.

So here we are, McDaniels sucks and looks stupid as hell saying earlier in the week he had talked to Cutler only to hear Bowlen say now that no one has had contact with him in the past ten days.

McDaniels has crapped his pants, and instead of coming clean and changing them, hes determined wear them for the next season in order to not to look like a rookie HC.

Thanks alot people.

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 01:22 AM
BTW..........anyone think it could have been the Goodmans who told Jay that McDaniels initiated the talks?

HMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Shazam!
04-01-2009, 01:26 AM
People seem to forget Cutler openly criticizing Denver when Shanahan was fired. He left town. This relationship was damaged on that day.

Cutler is like that beautiful girlfriend. She's awesome in bed and performs like a pro but in every other facet you want to throw her out of the car while doing 60 mph.

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 01:30 AM
People seem to forget Cutler openly criticizing Denver when Shanahan was fired. He left town. This relationship was damaged on that day.

Cutler is like that beautiful girlfriend. She's awesome in bed and performs like a pro but in every other facet you want to throw her out of the car while doing 60 mph.

He also said he understood it, then came back and said life must go on.

I'll take the beautiful girlfriend who is awesome in bed, cause they can be punished. :salute:

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Now that Bowlen has openly stated that we are trading Jay, Im wondering if Cutler is going to talk to the media now also.

I imagine someone is going to get a very exclusive interview.

Theres a chill in the air about town.............................wickedness this way comes.

omac
04-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I think the problem is Bowlen did not return his calls when Jay was trying to call him about the trade rumours in the first two days.

THEN, Bowlen backed up Josh in the media and hung Jay out to dry.

Jay was probably thinking, "What the F did I do that brought this on? Seriously? What did I do wrong to be the subject of a trade and to have the guy who was calling me the man two weeks ago is now saying I dont know how to act when I just got blindsided? WTH??"

Bowlen looks stupid as hell firing Shanahan, then saying I RUN THE SHOW, and then this happens. He CANT say he didnt know about it, even if he didnt cause he would look pretty ignorant. Not to mention the fact that he brought in a 32 year old coach with no HC experience, then fired the goodmans.............Im pretty sure this may have been about Cutler.........then replaced him with a young Xman in Xanders.

So who was there to help Josh deal with the players since everyone knows young HCs come in with guns blazing normally? No one, and that was Bowlens fault.

So here we are, McDaniels sucks and looks stupid as hell saying earlier in the week he had talked to Cutler only to hear Bowlen say now that no one has had contact with him in the past ten days.

McDaniels has crapped his pants, and instead of coming clean and changing them, hes determined wear them for the next season in order to not to look like a rookie HC.

Thanks alot people.

I also get the feeling that Jay felt betrayed by Pat. He hasn't been standing by his words for quite a few occasions now, then he decides to back up the rookie head coach who came from a rival organization who's had no previous relations with the Broncos, instead of the QB who was busting his butt working hard playing for him.

Northman
04-01-2009, 01:38 AM
*sigh*

NameUsedBefore
04-01-2009, 01:39 AM
The young coach's mealy mouthed assurances — "Jay Cutler is our quarterback" — were reminiscent of Bill Clinton. They actually depended on what the meaning of "is" is.

They made it impossible to know what he really thinks. Cutler may have been petulant, but at least he was honest.

This will, I'd have to think, ripple through the whole team.

If you were on the team and watched this debacle unfold, with the ending being McDaniels shouting "Cutler is our QB!" into a media canyon to echo over and over right before announcing he's up for trade (again), what would you think? It's ridiculous. Dude is straight up destroying the team.

If he just traded Cutler right away for Cassel, with no doubt at all, everyone would be on his balls. That he didn't gave room for some to announce they're on McD's side, after the fact, of course.

There's no room for that now, IMO.

If you were on his side, then you should be able to argue that McD is being honest and upfront. He hasn't been. He's been stumbling and fumbling the entire way. Dude's been lying through his teeth, contradicting his own statements, and refusing to own up to anything.

Does that make Cutler the hero here? No. He's still up for criticism too. But it's looking like that he may no longer be on the team.

I am ****ing amazed that this has happened. That it happened in the fashion it did just boggles the mind. I would have been content had Cutler been traded under an umbrella of honesty and maybe some wit, but that didn't happen.

It was a cluster**** from point A to point Z.

Northman
04-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Im amazed that Jay doesnt know how to return a phone call.

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 01:44 AM
I also get the feeling that Jay felt betrayed by Pat. He hasn't been standing by his words for quite a few occasions now, then he decides to back up the rookie head coach who came from a rival organization who's had no previous relations with the Broncos, instead of the QB who was busting his butt working hard playing for him.

Yeah, a young guy like Cutler can think exactly in those terms.

Then to come in and have a meeting only to have that sense reiterated to him, (according to him), doesnt make for good relationships.

And here we are.

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 01:46 AM
This will, I'd have to think, ripple through the whole team.

If you were on the team and watched this debacle unfold, with the ending being McDaniels shouting "Cutler is our QB!" into a media canyon to echo over and over right before announcing he's up for trade (again), what would you think? It's ridiculous. Dude is straight up destroying the team.

If he just traded Cutler right away for Cassel, with no doubt at all, everyone would be on his balls. That he didn't gave room for some to announce they're on McD's side, after the fact, of course.

There's no room for that now, IMO.

If you were on his side, then you should be able to argue that McD is being honest and upfront. He hasn't been. He's been stumbling and fumbling the entire way. Dude's been lying through his teeth, contradicting his own statements, and refusing to own up to anything.

Does that make Cutler the hero here? No. He's still up for criticism too. But it's looking like that he may no longer be on the team.

I am ****ing amazed that this has happened. That it happened in the fashion it did just boggles the mind. I would have been content had Cutler been traded under an umbrella of honesty and maybe some wit, but that didn't happen.

It was a cluster**** from point A to point Z.

I totally agree.

Honestly, I think Bowlen just stewed since then when Cutler did not return calls and pulled the plug.

He runs the show.:tsk:

omac
04-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Im amazed that Jay doesnt know how to return a phone call.

He already made up his mind, like I was alluding to way before when he asked for a trade. He's been truthful about not wanting to play for McDaniels; he was just following through. I have very little doubt that had he still been with the team through the mandatories before this announcement came, he'd participate like he said he would. He's been pretty transparent to a fault, being too open to the press.

WARHORSE
04-01-2009, 02:08 AM
Read the thread titled Bowlen: Cutler Good As Gone.

Cutler says he got no phone calls and was surprised by Bowlens announcement.

As the comforter turns..................

Dean
04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post (dkrieger@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Krieger: McDaniels shows audacity)

Generally speaking, you don't disparage a player before trying to trade him. Nor do you announce plans to trade him. Such moves do not normally enhance your bargaining position.

So now we'll see how McDaniels picks up the pieces. He can demand a veteran quarterback as part of the Cutler deal or he can prepare to draft a quarterback later this month and go with Chris Simms for now.

Maybe this is the way he wanted it — to be rid of Cutler and able to blame him for the split at the same time. But that will work for fans only if McDaniels manages to build a competitive team around his new guy, whoever that turns out to be.
In his first three months on the job, the Broncos' new coach has driven off the franchise quarterback and made it difficult to believe anything he says. Give him this: Dude works fast.

-----------------------------------------------

How freakin dumb does this picture look now????????
McMuffin is a CLOWN. And so is Bowlen for backing up his headcoach
in the national media instead of backing up BOTH.

DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/mcdanielsjersey_090324.jpg

MCLIAR.

It is my opinion that a deal is already close to being finalized or this would make no sense. I have no proof but why else would you make a public announcement and lessen the trade value????

CoachChaz
04-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I'd have to agree. The other factor is openly admitting that Jay refuses to speak with the team about anything. That alone could devalue him as being a problem child. keep in mind, most teams are going to see this situation from the Broncos point of view because at the end of the day, they would have the same organizational agenda as Denver would.

In-com-plete
04-01-2009, 08:33 AM

Exactly!

Simple Jaded
04-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Is "Audacity" another word for stupidity or incompetent?.......

omac
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
It is my opinion that a deal is already close to being finalized or this would make no sense. I have no proof but why else would you make a public announcement and lessen the trade value????

There's speculation that because the demand is high, they'll get a good deal, so might as well make it public and let the auction start.