PDA

View Full Version : Broncos in early contract talks with Peyton Manning

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Like several other teams involved in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes, the Broncos have been in discussions today with agent Tom Condon.

Talks are no more than preliminary, though, because Manning has not yet decided where he will finish his career and wants to take today to rest, work out and clear his mind, according to two NFL sources.

The Broncos are one of six teams who are considered alive in the pursuit of Manning. The others are Miami, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and — surprise! — the Houston Texans.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_20156608/broncos-among-teams-talking-contract-peyton-manning

Nomad
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Coin flip between Houston and San Fran!

CoachChaz
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Not surprised at all about Houston. Only surprise is it took this long for it to be more public

Joel
03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Not surprised at all about Houston. Only surprise is it took this long for it to be more public
If a Super Bowl's his biggest goal, Houston's a no-brainer. The only title contending team on that list is SF, who doesn't have anywhere near Houstons offensive firepower. With the stand-out rookie season Brooks Reed had after Super Mario got hurt just before Halloween, letting Williams go to get Manning is also a no-brainer for Houston if it comes to that. And, of course, Manning could make the Colts regret releasing him.

DenBronx
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
If a Super Bowl's his biggest goal, Houston's a no-brainer. The only title contending team on that list is SF, who doesn't have anywhere near Houstons offensive firepower. With the stand-out rookie season Brooks Reed had after Super Mario got hurt just before Halloween, letting Williams go to get Manning is also a no-brainer for Houston if it comes to that. And, of course, Manning could make the Colts regret releasing him.

I think he has enough respect for the organization and the fans to stay out of that division.

G_Money
03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I think he has enough respect for the organization and the fans to stay out of that division.

Neil Smith didn't. Told the Chiefs to stuff it when he signed with the Broncos and got his ring. He's still revered in KC, AND he has his ring.

Don't think he's got too many regrets.

The only thing with Houston is having Kubiak as a proud and inventive OC. Manning can make McCoy his bootlicker here and run whatever offense he wants. Dunno how Kubes feels about that in Houston. But the Texans have been my pick for Manning from the start.

We'll see if our org somehow makes him feel better than the wealth of accumulated and primed talent down in Texas.

~G

DenBronx
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Neil Smith didn't. Told the Chiefs to stuff it when he signed with the Broncos and got his ring. He's still revered in KC, AND he has his ring.

Don't think he's got too many regrets.

The only thing with Houston is having Kubiak as a proud and inventive OC. Manning can make McCoy his bootlicker here and run whatever offense he wants. Dunno how Kubes feels about that in Houston. But the Texans have been my pick for Manning from the start.

We'll see if our org somehow makes him feel better than the wealth of accumulated and primed talent down in Texas.

~G

Manning doesnt fit their offense.

If Manning came here he would be THE offense. Got to think McCoy would just be holding a clipboard.

HammeredOut
03-12-2012, 11:42 PM

It makes you wonder if Payton goes to Houston... Where is Matt Schuabs seat when the music stops?? Denver?? lol

sneakers
03-13-2012, 12:08 AM
I would personally go to the texans if they want him.

Broncos Mtnman
03-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Drew Soicher on 9News tonight said that the reason Houston could be a problem is that Manning contacted them, not the other way around.

OrangeHoof
03-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Houston has no cap room. They are scrambling to get under the $120.6 million cap before 2 p.m. Mountain time. They'll get an extra $1.6 million in cap room after that but they still have several UFAs of their own to sign even if one is not Mario Williams (who wants to be the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Houston's only interest was to spook the Titans into raising their bid. The Texans won't get Manning. It never made sense to begin with.

Con_Valian
03-13-2012, 01:28 AM
I read earlier today that the inclusion of Houston as a new interest was a mistake. The person who had written the info originally had meant to write Titans and put Texans instead. It was repeated afterwards and went on from there. I saw many tweets today stating that Houston has never been interested.

Joel
03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Houston has no cap room. They are scrambling to get under the $120.6 million cap before 2 p.m. Mountain time. They'll get an extra $1.6 million in cap room after that but they still have several UFAs of their own to sign even if one is not Mario Williams (who wants to be the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Houston's only interest was to spook the Titans into raising their bid. The Texans won't get Manning. It never made sense to begin with.
If that's really Williams' goal, I hope Houston cuts him loose and rides Brooks Reed. If they really aren't interested in Manning, I will go back to worrying about them, because I have no faith in Schaub in the clutch. He's a good game manager surrounded by a load of offensive talent, but when I've seen him try to put the team on his back and win tight games it hasn't been pretty. Hence I wouldn't want him in Denver.

Chef Zambini
03-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Manning doesnt fit their offense.

If Manning came here he would be THE offense. Got to think McCoy would just be holding a clipboard.manning will run the offense wherever he goes !

Northman
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
It makes you wonder if Payton goes to Houston... Where is Matt Schuabs seat when the music stops?? Denver?? lol

I would take Schaub in a heartbeat too. But still prefer Manning.

NightTerror218
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM

well ya, but if you are looking for long term, Schaub has many years left in tank.

Northman
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
well ya, but if you are looking for long term, Schaub has many years left in tank.

Ok? But we know that Manning isnt longterm so im not sure where your going with that. Manning would be a stop gap with a chance at a title and too mentor whatever young QB is behind him.

SOCALORADO.
03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Could someone put up Peytons Outdoor/Indoor numbers again?
I have a huge argument goin with a *****, phucaneers fan.

BroncoJoe
03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Ok? But we know that Manning isnt longterm so im not sure where your going with that. Manning would be a stop gap with a chance at a title and too mentor whatever young QB is behind him.

Because that worked SO well in Indy....

red98
03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Could someone put up Peytons Outdoor/Indoor numbers again?
I have a huge argument goin with a *****, phucaneers fan.

Scroll down for table with stats:

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/writers/kerry_byrne/03/07/peyton.manning/index.html?sct=nfl_bf3_a8

Northman
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Because that worked SO well in Indy....

Or it could just mean that Painter and Sorgi were bad QB's to begin with. Kubes was behind Elway but was never that great as a QB. However, Steve Young behind Montana, Brady behind Bledsoe, and Rodgers behind Favre worked out just fine. So if Tebow cant learn anything behind a future HOF in Manning than maybe Tebow just flat out sucks.

NightTerror218
03-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Sounds like Manning is going to Tenn. Bud Adams is flying Manning to facilities.

Shazam!
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM

LMAO are we really that desperate. No.

Northman
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
LMAO are we really that desperate. No.

Desperation has nothing to do with it.

NightTerror218
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM

You get the franchise QB and system in place, much easier to build around then have a short term to get players around a QB then have to change in 2-3 years.

Northman
03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
You get the franchise QB and system in place, much easier to build around then have a short term to get players around a QB then have to change in 2-3 years.

?

You wont have to change the system man. The primary goal is too get Tebow to be more of a passing QB than running one. The last thing Denver needs is too have another Michael Vick. Its better to mold Tebow into a Steve Young/John Elway type of guy than a Vick or Young. And SF never had to "change" anything to accomodate Steve Young's talents.

Shazam!
03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
[

You wont have to change the system man. The primary goal is too get Tebow to be more of a passing QB than running one. The last thing Denver needs is too have another Michael Vick. Its better to mold Tebow into a Steve Young/John Elway type of guy than a Vick or Young. And SF never had to "change" anything to accomodate Steve Young's talents.

SF gave Young more than 16 games to deliver on MUCH better football teams. C'mon North, it isnt even close to what Tebow is in Denver.

DenBronx
03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't think we're heaving in any "contract talks" any talks were just preliminary and a starting point with Mannings agent. It was reported somehwere around 4 years and 90 mill. Might be why Arizona has been really quiet as of today. They are already struggling with cap and they would need to create more room.

SOCALORADO.
03-14-2012, 01:45 PM
scroll down for table with stats:

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/writers/kerry_byrne/03/07/peyton.manning/index.html?sct=nfl_bf3_a8

thanks!!!

Mike
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, at least the FO has found out that a large portion of the Bronco fan base is open to Tebow not being in the plans.

NightTerror218
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
?

Every Qb has different strengths and every system is different. Pats and Colts were different for 2 strong pocket QBs. The thing in Denver is FOX. He is a run first coach. He loves the solid ground game. Manning wants to run his own offense. With Manning gone, Fox will go back to his ways. But with Tebow, even if he became Steve Young (but bigger) he will still have designated running plays, because they work well with him. It improves the ground game and adds another threat to the offense. But whether he can be that pass is yet to be seen. 16 starts and only be 2 years into career is way way way to early to tell. Not to mention not having an off season to work with his coaches.

NightTerror218
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, at least the FO has found out that a large portion of the Bronco fan base is open to Tebow not being in the plans.

I dont think so, have you seen the polls on DP? Most of the fan base still want TT on team.

Northman
03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
The thing in Denver is FOX. He is a run first coach. He loves the solid ground game. Manning wants to run his own offense.

Well, we dont know what Manning wants. Manning is not the coach and im not entirely sure that Manning wants to air it out 60 times a game at this stage of his career. Im sure he and Fox have talked about what would be expected in Denver and while the offense would certainly open up with Manning throwing more than 8-9 times a game im sure Peyton would also welcome a better rushing attack.

But with Tebow, even if he became Steve Young (but bigger) he will still have designated running plays, because they work well with him. It improves the ground game and adds another threat to the offense.

Well, this makes no sense. Both Young and Elway ran when plays broke down but relied on their passing attack as the mainstay. You never want to put your QB purposely in harms way just because he did that well at the college level. I cant believe ANYONE would think that Tebow could go an entire career playing as a run heavy QB. If we are talking about bootlegs or gaining a yard or two it makes sense. But having your QB run as often as he is passing or in some cases more than passing is not the formula for longterm success. Denver would be stupid to believe that and personally i dont think they do.

But whether he can be that pass is yet to be seen. 16 starts and only be 2 years into career is way way way to early to tell. Not to mention not having an off season to work with his coaches.

Every player didnt have an offseason though, and some still played much better than Timmy from a QB standpoint. But if Denver signs Manning there will be no need to rip the entire system apart. If your theory is correct and Denver trys to go the route they did last year they will not win a SB that way. Ill call it right now.

Northman
03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
I dont think so, have you seen the polls on DP? Most of the fan base still want TT on team.

Yea, im not sure where Mike is getting that either.

Northman
03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
SF gave Young more than 16 games to deliver on MUCH better football teams. C'mon North, it isnt even close to what Tebow is in Denver.

Again, i shake my head. How long did he sit before he took over for Montana? You make it sound like Tebow would never get to play QB again if he sat behind Manning. Thats silly talk Shaz.

claymore
03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
All these fantastic QB's that sat... Young, Rodgers etc... Did the offense have to go back to the 1940's for them to be able to be successful? Did they completley change the playbook when the took over?

NightTerror218
03-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Well, we dont know what Manning wants. Manning is not the coach and im not entirely sure that Manning wants to air it out 60 times a game at this stage of his career. Im sure he and Fox have talked about what would be expected in Denver and while the offense would certainly open up with Manning throwing more than 8-9 times a game im sure Peyton would also welcome a better rushing attack.

Well, this makes no sense. Both Young and Elway ran when plays broke down but relied on their passing attack as the mainstay. You never want to put your QB purposely in harms way just because he did that well at the college level. I cant believe ANYONE would think that Tebow could go an entire career playing as a run heavy QB. If we are talking about bootlegs or gaining a yard or two it makes sense. But having your QB run as often as he is passing or in some cases more than passing is not the formula for longterm success. Denver would be stupid to believe that and personally i dont think they do.

Every player didnt have an offseason though, and some still played much better than Timmy from a QB standpoint. But if Denver signs Manning there will be no need to rip the entire system apart. If your theory is correct and Denver trys to go the route they did last year they will not win a SB that way. Ill call it right now.

i never said run heavy QB plays. I they will still have them. I would be happy with an dramatically improved Tebow pocket passer, who would run an option play 4 times a game or so as one of the rushing plays. It is another aspect to defend, means defenders have to contain tebow. 15 out of 25 passes and 5 rushes per game would make me happy. I do not want him doing more then that. But Tebow loves the physical game and who ever he plays for will not be able to take that out of him, just cut it back a little. It is one aspect of football he loves.

catfish
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Scary to me is it seems like a 50/50 split. I would rather have 90% one way or the other

catfish
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
All these fantastic QB's that sat... Young, Rodgers etc... Did the offense have to go back to the 1940's for them to be able to be successful? Did they completley change the playbook when the took over?

With young they didn't change the offense, they traded him to another team.

Northman
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
With young they didn't change the offense, they traded him to another team.

To which they still didnt change the offense.

capt. Jack
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Do you think he is worth 4years/100 mill ? How much do you think he gets ?

Northman
03-14-2012, 04:09 PM

If he is asking for that much than i say no way. But we dont know what he is looking for.

Ravage!!!
03-14-2012, 06:08 PM

There has been absolutely no indication that is the contract he looking for, or will get. Thats nothing less than overly hyped speculation.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-14-2012, 06:12 PM
I truly believe he's smart enough to realize that the more $$ he asks for, the less likely the team he chooses can get him some help. Now Bud Adams offer is interesting...management after football.

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
If he is asking for that much than i say no way. But we dont know what he is looking for.

**** it.

Pay him.

Lancane
03-14-2012, 06:15 PM
There has been absolutely no indication that is the contract he looking for, or will get. Thats nothing less than overly hyped speculation.

According to some sources the Broncos have offered him a four year deal worth 90 million with close to 45 million in guaranteed money. Whether or not it is true is up for debate.

slim
03-14-2012, 06:15 PM
**** it.

Pay him.

There is only so much available, you can't get crazy with it or you will really hurt the rest of the team.

Traveler
03-14-2012, 06:20 PM
**** it.

Pay him.

**** it! **** him. The team should move on to other players.

Ravage!!!
03-14-2012, 06:23 PM
According to some sources the Broncos have offered him a four year deal worth 90 million with close to 45 million in guaranteed money. Whether or not it is true is up for debate.

Some sources? What sources? Why would there even be a source on this? Anyone being the "source" on this is purely making a guess.

Lancane
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Some sources? What sources? Why would there even be a source on this? Anyone being the "source" on this is purely making a guess.

That's what Brandon Krizstal tweeted yesterday evening Rav, that's why I said it was debatable.

catfish
03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
That's what Brandon Krizstal tweeted yesterday evening Rav, that's why I said it was debatable.

I have seen 3 year 61 Million, and numerous 20 million tweets being thrown around too....it may be all just complete guesses, but they are all in the same ballpark

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
There is only so much available, you can't get crazy with it or you will really hurt the rest of the team.

How? The Broncos would still have 18 to 24 mil to play with this year, and most likely more as the cap rises. Projections were as high as 20 million more cap space for every team in 2013.

People bitching about Denver not spending money, and then when they do, to get the best free agent on the market, that's when they start worrying about the effing cap. LMAO

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
**** it! **** him. The team should move on to other players.

Like who?

A third pass rusher on a team that already has two elite pass rushers and other holes to fill (like quarterback)? Or safety?

Or some Madden-esque wish list of yours that includes every top free agent on the market sans Manning?

slim
03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
How? The Broncos would still have 18 to 24 mil to play with this year, and most likely more as the cap rises. Projections were as high as 20 million more cap space for every team in 2013.

People bitching about Denver not spending money, and then when they do, to get the best free agent on the market, that's when they start worrying about the effing cap. LMAO

Well, if they aren't going to spend the money to bolster the roster (which they apparently aren't going to do), then I guess giving it all to Manning is acceptable.

I would just prefer they spread it around and fill a few holes (that sounded dirty).

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Well, if they aren't going to spend the money to bolster the roster (which they apparently aren't going to do), then I guess giving it all to Manning is acceptable.

I would just prefer they spread it around and fill a few holes (that sounded dirty).

Do you understand how many holes could be filled with $20 mil if they choose to use it (and here's the kicker that no one can ever get through their thick skull) IF that player wants to come to Denver?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Do you understand how many holes could be filled with $20 mil if they choose to use it (and here's the kicker that no one can ever get through their thick skull) IF that player wants to come to Denver?

you are WAAAAY to logical tonight.

slim
03-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Well, I guess it would depend on the player(s) and their market value(s) :noidea:

Just about any player in the league would come here....they only care about money anyway.

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Also a reminder.

28 hours, to the minute, into free agency. 28 hours.

slim
03-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Good point. We should probably wait a good 72 hours or so before we get started.

MOtorboat
03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Good point. We should probably wait a good 72 hours or so before we get started.

Right. I'm sure they are doing nothing but waiting for the phone to ring.

:rolleyes:

Ah! Freak out!

Dzone
03-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Gawd I wish someone else would just sign Manning so we can move on from this colossal distraction and start building a good football team.
This is like when Johnny Unitas tried to make a comeback with the San Diego Chargers.

silkamilkamonico
03-14-2012, 07:10 PM

I don't think they are going by a time frame. I think it's clear that they are waiting until all the impact-full players are signed so they can overpay for these role players that weren't wanted by their original team.

We have so much money to blow that is the easiest way to blow it.