PDA

View Full Version : Ted Sundquist on 104.3 The Fan

Buff
03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Did anyone else catch this interview? I thought he had some interesting stuff to say.

He was saying that Pat Bowlen hates conflict, and that's ultimately why he got fired, Shanahan won out in their conflict...

He said he really regrets letting Trevor Pryce, Bert Berry and Reggie Hayward go in free agency. Especially Pryce-- he said Trevor actually offered to play for less money for the Broncos, but ultimately the defensive staff at the time didn't feel that he would fit the scheme (which is funny, since there was no scheme.)

He basically admitted that Moss and Crowder haven't developed the way they thought they would when they drafted them. Though he said defensive linemen need time to develop, and talked about how they haven't really had one scheme and stuck to it...

He said that Dre Bly didn't have a chance to flourish in the defense, nor has Champ in recent years, because the safeties were older and guys who belonged in the box, not playing pass coverage.

Then I thought probably the most interesting take he had was how KC and Denver are essentially both trying to build a franchise based on the New England model. He said that in New England, they have the "outside circle" made up of scouts and assistant coaches etc. Then they have the "inside circle" which consisted of Scott Pioli and Bill Belicheck. He said that the role of the outside circle was to bring information to the inside circle, and at some point all the decisions were made by the inner circle behind closed doors. He was saying that Xanders and McDaniels, two guys who have never been on the inner circle anywhere, are now thrust into that role in the inner circle.

Lonestar
03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
I'll be curious to hear about how wonder TED is now form those that thought he was a scum sucker before..

My oh MY how the worm has turned in DEN..

horsepig
03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
I always wondered just how in the world you lose three DL like that over a pretty short time span. I know they were expensive, but what really good Dlinemen aren't?

hotcarl
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
that scum sucker is just trying to bash his old employer just a washed up loser turning worms

omac
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll be curious to hear about how wonder TED is now form those that thought he was a scum sucker before..

My oh MY how the worm has turned in DEN..

I'm thinking Ted and Xanders are about the same, just as McDaniels and Shanahan are the same, power or decision-wise. That's probably how Pat likes to run his organization ... more of a let the coach do what he thinks is best approach.

Ted did write an article trying to justify some of his(?) acquisitions, that sounded like a bunch of excuses. I don't think it would be beneath him to try to discredit McDaniels and Xanders.

He does make some interesting comments to ponder on.

Buff
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm thinking Ted and Xanders are about the same, just as McDaniels and Shanahan are the same, power or decision-wise. That's probably how Pat likes to run his organization ... more of a let the coach do what he thinks is best approach.

Ted did write an article trying to justify some of his(?) acquisitions, that sounded like a bunch of excuses. I don't think it would be beneath him to try to discredit McDaniels and Xanders.

He does make some interesting comments to ponder on.

He was quick to say he didn't want to pass judgement on McD, but he said it was clear to him from the outside looking in that McD is calling the shots.

He was also talking about how Bowlen has gravitated towards these coaches who are leaders, and basically run the organization. He said it was that way with Dan Reeves, it was that way with Mike (and that led into Sundquist talking about why he was fired.)

So, obviously Ted is self interested to a certain extent and I'm sure there are some sour grapes... But I also think that he has a point on McD, and the moves thus far have pointed to McD being in charge. (I think he basically hand picked the GM from the candidates that were currently on the staff in retrospect.)

FanInAZ
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
that scum sucker is just trying to bash his old employer just a washed up loser turning worms

Based on the assement in Buff's original posting on this thread, it does not seem to me that Sundquist was bashing the Broncos. He was just stating his observations. I don't see any wording that I would consider demeaning towards the organization.

omac
03-31-2009, 09:41 PM
He was quick to say he didn't want to pass judgement on McD, but he said it was clear to him from the outside looking in that McD is calling the shots.

He was also talking about how Bowlen has gravitated towards these coaches who are leaders, and basically run the organization. He said it was that way with Dan Reeves, it was that way with Mike (and that led into Sundquist talking about why he was fired.)

So, obviously Ted is self interested to a certain extent and I'm sure there are some sour grapes... But I also think that he has a point on McD, and the moves thus far have pointed to McD being in charge. (I think he basically hand picked the GM from the candidates that were currently on the staff in retrospect.)

I agree. I think if you were a coach who wanted to be hired by Pat, you should give him the impression that you wanted to take over practically all aspects of the team.

We're the exact opposites of the Raiders. Where Al doesn't allow his coaches to do anything without his approval or without his orders, Pat gives his coaches free reign to do anything. :D

omac
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Based on the assement in Buff's original posting on this thread, it does not seem to me that Sundquist was bashing the Broncos. He was just stating his observations. I don't see any wording that I would consider demeaning towards the organization.

But he does basically imply that McDaniels and Xanders may be in over their heads, when he says they were never part of the inner circle, and now, they are the inner circle.

Lonestar
03-31-2009, 10:10 PM
But he does basically imply that McDaniels and Xanders may be in over their heads, when he says they were never part of the inner circle, and now, they are the inner circle.

while they may have not been setting in on all the conversations I think/suspect that Josh got a lot of knowledge from being as close as he was..

Simple Jaded
03-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Pat Bowlen has thoroughly screwed the pooch.......

omac
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
while they may have not been setting in on all the conversations I think/suspect that Josh got a lot of knowledge from being as close as he was..

True; despite what I think of some of the things he's done in the offseason, I'm not willing to say McDaniels doesn't know how to get the right people for his system. Just saying Ted probably implied that. We have yet to see whether these offseason moves, or the coming draft, will pan out or not. :beer:

G_Money
03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Sundquist is as qualified to comment on functional front office management as Al Davis is.

~G

Lonestar
03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Sundquist is as qualified to comment on functional front office management as Al Davis is.

~G

I d disagree he was at least there for a gazillion years whether he did anything or was really responsible for anything. He at least was mikeys gofer and had some clue on the inter working of the office..

now that surely is more insider that Al is..:laugh: