PDA

View Full Version : Help ease a former Colts fan's mind

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 05:17 AM
I've been a Colts fan pretty much all my short life, but with the way Irsay treated my guy, the Greatest Of All Time, I have decided to switch my allegiance to whichever team he finds himself signing for in a couple days. I consider myself to be a pretty educated fan, but your guys' team is such an enigma to me. By the way things are looking, you'll be winning the Peyton lottery, and although my opinion and concerns are meaningless, I still want to know what exactly my guy is getting himself into.

I'll start on the offensive side of the ball. In Indy, Peyton regularly had one of the worst O-lines in the league. They got absolutely zero push in the run game, and although they gave up few sacks, it was simply because of how fast he is at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball. I want to know what kind of O-line he'll be getting in Denver. The only name I recognize as a quality lineman is Ryan Clady. From what I gather, J.D. Walton is right up there with the worst Centers in the league, and Zane Beadles wouldn't rank much higher on a list of worst Guards. Then again though, I wonder how your RBs had such respectable YPC averages behind such a s*** line. The Colts RBs, who really weren't half bad, had a hell of a time averaging 4 yards a carry, so I kinda wonder if your linemen are made to look worse than they really are in pass pro, by Tebow and his slow reads and release. In looking at your WR prospects, I see 2 guys; Decker and Thomas. They look like they'd benefit tremendously from having a guy like Peyton Manning throwing them the rock. If Elway spends in free agency and you add Reggie Wayne into the mix, WR is a position of strength next year.

On defense, it looks like you have some good pieces in place; Bunkley, Miller, Williams, and Dumervil. Your secondary doesn't jump out at me on paper other than Bailey, but admittedly, games aren't won and lost on paper. I would like to know what kind of defensive style you guys play. The Colts had the most frustrating defense you could possibly operate. Routinely our CBs would play 12 yards off the receiver, and the QB would pick them apart for 7 yard plays, until they got to the redzone. Then the D would grow some balls and play closer to the line, and the offense would normally be forced to a field goal. We'd been clamouring for a more aggressive defense for years in Indy. I want to know what your defensive strengths and weaknesses are.

It looks like you have a ton of cap room, and if you sign Peyton, I hope you dip more into free agency and build a real team around him, the kind of team he's never had in Indy. From the Colts current cast-offs I would only recommend signing Saturday if J.D. Walton sucks as bad as they say, and obviously Reggie Wayne....he'll give you at least 3 more productive years. I've seen others say Clark, Addai, and maybe Freeney, but I would say no to those guys. Clark's best days are behind him, Addai is no better than Lance Ball, and Freeney cannot play the run and is only good on 3rd and long...which you already have Dumervil and Miller for those instances.

So tell me guys, who sucks on your team? I want to get to know them in case I become a Broncos fan.....because f*** the Colts.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 05:24 AM
I've been a Colts fan pretty much all my short life, but with the way Irsay treated my guy, the Greatest Of All Time, I have decided to switch my allegiance to whichever team he finds himself signing for in a couple days. I consider myself to be a pretty educated fan, but your guys' team is such an enigma to me. By the way things are looking, you'll be winning the Peyton lottery, and although my opinion and concerns are meaningless, I still want to know what exactly my guy is getting himself into.

I'll start on the offensive side of the ball. In Indy, Peyton regularly had one of the worst O-lines in the league. They got absolutely zero push in the run game, and although they gave up few sacks, it was simply because of how fast he is at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball. I want to know what kind of O-line he'll be getting in Denver. The only name I recognize as a quality lineman is Ryan Clady. From what I gather, J.D. Walton is right up there with the worst Centers in the league, and Zane Beadles wouldn't rank much higher on a list of worst Guards. Then again though, I wonder how your RBs had such respectable YPC averages behind such a s*** line. The Colts RBs, who really weren't half bad, had a hell of a time averaging 4 yards a carry, so I kinda wonder if your linemen are made to look worse than they really are in pass pro, by Tebow and his slow reads and release. In looking at your WR prospects, I see 2 guys; Decker and Thomas. They look like they'd benefit tremendously from having a guy like Peyton Manning throwing them the rock. If Elway spends in free agency and you add Reggie Wayne into the mix, WR is a position of strength next year.

On defense, it looks like you have some good pieces in place; Bunkley, Miller, Williams, and Dumervil. Your secondary doesn't jump out at me on paper other than Bailey, but admittedly, games aren't won and lost on paper. I would like to know what kind of defensive style you guys play. The Colts had the most frustrating defense you could possibly operate. Routinely our CBs would play 12 yards off the receiver, and the QB would pick them apart for 7 yard plays, until they got to the redzone. Then the D would grow some balls and play closer to the line, and the offense would normally be forced to a field goal. We'd been clamouring for a more aggressive defense for years in Indy. I want to know what your defensive strengths and weaknesses are.

It looks like you have a ton of cap room, and if you sign Peyton, I hope you dip more into free agency and build a real team around him, the kind of team he's never had in Indy. From the Colts current cast-offs I would only recommend signing Saturday if J.D. Walton sucks as bad as they say, and obviously Reggie Wayne....he'll give you at least 3 more productive years. I've seen others say Clark, Addai, and maybe Freeney, but I would say no to those guys. Clark's best days are behind him, Addai is no better than Lance Ball, and Freeney cannot play the run and is only good on 3rd and long...which you already have Dumervil and Miller for those instances.

So tell me guys, who sucks on your team? I want to get to know them in case I become a Broncos fan.....because f*** the Colts.

Welcome to the boards. You are bound to hear some widely varying opinions. Just to touch on one point. I feel Beedles is worse than Walton, who while not very good in my opinion has improved. Would I like to see replacements for both of them? Yes. They would make quality depth.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Welcome to the boards. You are bound to hear some widely varying opinions. Just to touch on one point. I feel Beedles is worse than Walton, who while not very good in my opinion has improved. Would I like to see replacements for both of them? Yes. They would make quality depth.

So with your cap space you probably wouldn't be opposed to signing Saturday or even Chris Myers at C, and a beast like Carl Nicks or Evan Mathis at G? Think about that Oline.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 05:40 AM
So with your cap space you probably wouldn't be opposed to signing Saturday or even Chris Myers at C, and a beast like Carl Nicks or Evan Mathis at G? Think about that Oline.

Those names have come up along with Super Mario to team with Dumervil and Von Miller. Even with $50 million it will only go so far. There are rumors of moving our animal of a rt tackle Franklin in to guard and getting another rt tackle. There is concern for guard Chris Kuper's ankle which was severely broken late in the season.

chazoe60
03-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Don't switch allegiences man. The Colts were stuck in one damn tight spot and even Peyton himself undstands that. They had a Peyton Manning with a few years left who had just sat out a year with a neck issue and a young Peyton Manning with better mobility (a young Peyton Manning type project anyway) served up to them on a silver platter. They did exactly what they had to do. It may seem harsh but it was inevitable really.

I think this is weird Karma for the Broncos getting Elway all those years ago. Now we get an all time elite QB with ????s and you guys get the best QB prospect since Manning/Elway. Our two organizations have an odd history together.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah, if I were you I'd bring in Saturday, it'll be a relatively cheap contract and for only 1 year, keep Franklin at T because they're harder to find than G's. Sign Mathis in FA because he'll be a lot cheaper than Nicks, assuming he's leaves Philly. Look for your other Guard in the draft....can't go free agency everywhere as much as we'd like to.

Having an offense with P-Money and a defense with Super Mario.....if I'm a Broncos fan, I might make a mess of things in my pants at that idea.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Yeah, if I were you I'd bring in Saturday, it'll be a relatively cheap contract and for only 1 year, keep Franklin at T because they're harder to find than G's. Sign Mathis in FA because he'll be a lot cheaper than Nicks, assuming he's leaves Philly. Look for your other Guard in the draft....can't go free agency everywhere as much as we'd like to.

Having an offense with P-Money and a defense with Super Mario.....if I'm a Broncos fan, I might make a mess of things in my pants at that idea.

No free agency is for a couple of pieces if you are close. If Peyton comes to Denver I see Bowlen going "all in"
to try and bring another championship to Denver. The window won't be huge with a 36 year old quarterback with a history of neck problems.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Don't switch allegiences man. The Colts were stuck in one damn tight spot and even Peyton himself undstands that. They had a Peyton Manning with a few years left who had just sat out a year with a neck issue and a young Peyton Manning with better mobility (a young Peyton Manning type project anyway) served up to them on a silver platter. They did exactly what they had to do. It may seem harsh but it was inevitable really.

I think this is weird Karma for the Broncos getting Elway all those years ago. Now we get an all time elite QB with ????s and you guys get the best QB prospect since Manning/Elway. Our two organizations have an odd history together.

Oh I hear ya man. It's come down to a few things for me though, and it's been a long time coming. I understand Irsay's position, but I can't justify putting Peyton Manning on waivers. It was a tight spot, but if he really wanted to appease the fans, he would have kept Peyton, traded the pick (hell look what St. Louis got for their pick), not destroyed the team completely, and built it even stronger for P's remaining few years. I don't like having to do this, but I really just consider myself a fan of the game. I don't think I can completely disown the Colts, they've been all I've known. But I'm definitely following the guy that made me a fan of the game in his new endeavors.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 05:57 AM
No free agency is for a couple of pieces if you are close. If Peyton comes to Denver I see Bowlen going "all in"
to try and bring another championship to Denver. The window won't be huge with a 36 year old quarterback with a history of neck problems.

I like the way you think.

I wish the Colts would have taken a better approach in free agency to fill holes that needed filling. All we ever did was give our own mediocre guys MASSIVE contracts. Kelvin Hayden made 17 mil in one year....have you guys even heard of Kelvin Hayden?

Canmore
03-12-2012, 06:00 AM
I like the way you think.

I wish the Colts would have taken a better approach in free agency to fill holes that needed filling. All we ever did was give our own mediocre guys MASSIVE contracts. Kelvin Hayden made 17 mil in one year....have you guys even heard of Kelvin Hayden?

Yes but I had to think. He made $17 million one season? Champ Bailey is impressed, lol.

chazoe60
03-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Oh I hear ya man. It's come down to a few things for me though, and it's been a long time coming. I understand Irsay's position, but I can't justify putting Peyton Manning on waivers. It was a tight spot, but if he really wanted to appease the fans, he would have kept Peyton, traded the pick (hell look what St. Louis got for their pick), not destroyed the team completely, and built it even stronger for P's remaining few years. I don't like having to do this, but I really just consider myself a fan of the game. I don't think I can completely disown the Colts, they've been all I've known. But I'm definitely following the guy that made me a fan of the game in his new endeavors.
Iknow how ya feel because the year after we won our second SB Mike Shanahan decided to cut Steve Atwater, Steve Mother ******* Nigerean Nightmare's Nightmare Atwater. I was seriously pissed. But once those games start, it's almost an involuntary action to root for your team. It's so engrained in your psyche at this point that the little man in your head will be chanting "cut that meat Go Colts!" before you know it.

You'll always love Manning just like I always loved Atwater, even if seeing him wear a Jets uniform killed my soul.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Yes but I had to think. He made $17 million one season? Champ Bailey is impressed, lol.

Yeah, he and his 9 interceptions in 6 years with us ended up getting cut the next year. I think he got that contract because he had a pick six in the SB we won. That's all he ever really did for us.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Iknow how ya feel because the year after we won our second SB Mike Shanahan decided to cut Steve Atwater, Steve Mother ******* Nigerean Nightmare's Nightmare Atwater. I was seriously pissed. But once those games start, it's almost an involuntary action to root for your team. It's so engrained in your psyche at this point that the little man in your head will be chanting "cut that meat Go Colts!" before you know it.

You'll always love Manning just like I always loved Atwater, even if seeing him wear a Jets uniform killed my soul.

Am I allowed to be a Colts and Broncos fan?

Hey they're both horses.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah, he and his 9 interceptions in 6 years with us ended up getting cut the next year. I think he got that contract because he had a pick six in the SB we won. That's all he ever really did for us.

Our secondary as you mentioned is a work in progress. We have Champ Bailey, thank god and Brian Dawkins if he comes back for one more campaign, which I feel he will if Manning signs with us. Our other corner, Andre Goodman did not play extremely well last year (it's hard playing opposite Bailey) and I think the front office is looking to go another way. Certainly we will add a corner whether or not Goodman stays. We have to rookie safeties who did not play as well as hoped, but they were rookies. We may be looking to add a run thumping safety if Dawkins retires. Maybe even if he doesn't.

chazoe60
03-12-2012, 06:37 AM

Hey they're both horses.

That's tricky. I'll tell you this, I've always been a Bronco fan that roots for different specific players throughout the league as well. My son's middle name is Payton, after Walter Payton( notice the "a" instead of an "e"). I always loved Alstot and Lynch so when the Bucs stomped a mudhole in the Raiders in the SB I was happy as Hell.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Our secondary as you mentioned is a work in progress. We have Champ Bailey, thank god and Brian Dawkins if he comes back for one more campaign, which I feel he will if Manning signs with us. Our other corner, Andre Goodman did not play extremely well last year (it's hard playing opposite Bailey) and I think the front office is looking to go another way. Certainly we will add a corner whether or not Goodman stays. We have to rookie safeties who did not play as well as hoped, but they were rookies. We may be looking to add a run thumping safety if Dawkins retires. Maybe even if he doesn't.

I don't even know what kind of Safeties are out there in free agency or the draft. It looks like the position is becoming harder to fill with a lack of quality at the position. The only one I can think of is Reggie Nelson from Cinci, and I don't even know if he'd be worth it. I'd probably just keep the guy that was a rookie, he'll get better with a full offseason. A solid #2 CB to play opposite Bailey would be Carr out of KC. They're letting him go, and he's a good physical corner.

Also what's the deal with your LB corps? Is Williams going to be suspended, because that could be a big blow. I don't even know who your MIKE was.

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 06:44 AM
That's tricky. I'll tell you this, I've always been a Bronco fan that roots for different specific players throughout the league as well. My son's middle name is Payton, after Walter Payton( notice the "a" instead of an "e"). I always loved Alstot and Lynch so when the Bucs stomped a mudhole in the Raiders in the SB I was happy as Hell.

Yeah I'll just be rooting for both. I've always had 'backup' teams, in the event that the Colts were eliminated. The last two years my back up teams won the SB, so it might work out well for Broncos fans. But in the event of a head-to-head, I'll probably be rooting for Peyton to stomp the s*** out of the Colts.

Plus it's not like I'd be rooting for the Patriots or Chargers. It's the loveable Broncos. How can you not like John Elway and his epic SB dive?

chazoe60
03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Also what's the deal with your LB corps? Is Williams going to be suspended, because that could be a big blow. I don't even know who your MIKE was.
Joe Mays, and even though I like the guy he was pretty much worthless against the pass and is a guy who we definitely need to upgrade. We have Nate Irving who was a roomie last gear but he never saw the field except for STs, which he played at a pretty high level. ILB is a ? For us right now. I wish there was some way we could get Kuechly, that dude is gonna be a perennial PBer.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 06:49 AM
I don't even know what kind of Safeties are out there in free agency or the draft. It looks like the position is becoming harder to fill with a lack of quality at the position. The only one I can think of is Reggie Nelson from Cinci, and I don't even know if he'd be worth it. I'd probably just keep the guy that was a rookie, he'll get better with a full offseason. A solid #2 CB to play opposite Bailey would be Carr out of KC. They're letting him go, and he's a good physical corner.

Carr has been mentioned on these boards a bunch. Don't know what the front office is thinking. Rahime Moore was taken in the second round and Quentin Carter in the fourth. Carter was spelling Dawkins late in the season when Dawkins was hurt.

Yes Williams is going to be suspended six games. Idiot. It's no surprise you don't know who are mike was, Joe Mays. We are in dire need of an upgrade. Nate Irving was taken in the second round last year but was in a horrible car wreck in college and never saw the field, or at least I don't remember him playing. He may get the chance this season but at the same time don't be surprised if we add another inside linebacker through the draft or free agency.

MasterShake
03-12-2012, 07:10 AM

Hey they're both horses.

You seem cool, but we are a weary group. The last time people followed a player instead of a team to root for us things got crazy.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 07:11 AM
You seem cool, but we are a weary group. The last time people followed a player instead of a team to root for us things got crazy.

Understatement!

The Peytonator
03-12-2012, 07:42 AM

I'll be honest, I've never gotten this Tebow infatuation....no offense to anyone that likes the guy. I think he's a good guy, just a bad quarterback. He'd make a hell of an H-back though.

vandammage13
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that there are tons of Broncos Fans that hold animosity toward those who are only fans because of a certain player (I'm not one of them, but just be aware).

I can see the nicknames changing from "Tebowners" to "Man-lovers" :laugh:

Dapper Dan
03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
I almost switched teams a few years back. Denver fired Shanahan and then Tennessee fired Fulmer. It pretty much sucked. But I'm resistant to change, so I didn't change teams. You're free to do so, though. I would have switched after the Colt spent millions of dollars to build a warehouse. :P

topscribe
03-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Well, that's because some of Tebow's lemmings may have been a bit nuts. This guy doesn't impress me as that . . .

BroncoStud
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Yeah, that was bullshit when we let Atwater go. A Broncos legend walking away to the JETS... Shameful. I understood when Shannon left to get a ring, but Atwater should have stayed. Shanny did some douchebag things in his time.