PDA

View Full Version : On Zealotry and Shaming

catfish
03-11-2012, 05:46 PM
I happened across this on MHR, it pretty much sums up some of the frustrations I have been having over the last season. I am going to try to do a better job showing respect to my fellow forum members as I feel it leads to more rewarding discussions, I hope others feel the same way.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/3/9/2857759/on-zealotry-and-shaming

broncobryce
03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Very true article. Thanks for posting.

catfish
03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Very true article. Thanks for posting.

I will go ahead and say, it cuts both ways, both "fanboi" and "hater" add nothing to the conversation

wayninja
03-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I could have written that article if I could write better. The first 5 points in the article also describe me almost perfectly (probably around 1985 though, I was 8).

Northman
03-11-2012, 06:05 PM
In theory its something that would be nice. But the reality is whatever you are discussing whether its football, politics, religion, or anything where there is a difference of opinion things will get heated. I often find the downfall of discussions is from those who add nothing of value to the discussion to begin with. While everyone takes their fair share pot shots at any given moment some only live for those moments and then the spiral starts from there. But, one thing this guy did get right is like him ive been on this forum long enough to recognize who the quality posters are and those who just troll about. Even with some of the posters who i may get into heated arguements at least its still a discussion and a well thought out conversation. So bottom line, i find you to be a very good poster Cat and worthwhile to speak with although we dont agree on everything. As for those who add nothing they go to what i like to call the shiny red iggy button.

catfish
03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
In theory its something that would be nice. But the reality is whatever you are discussing whether its football, politics, religion, or anything where there is a difference of opinion things will get heated. I often find the downfall of discussions is from those who add nothing of value to the discussion to begin with. While everyone takes their fair share pot shots at any given moment some only live for those moments and then the spiral starts from there. But, one thing this guy did get right is like him ive been on this forum long enough to recognize who the quality posters are and those who just troll about. Even with some of the posters who i may get into heated arguements at least its still a discussion and a well thought out conversation. So bottom line, i find you to be a very good poster Cat and worthwhile to speak with although we dont agree on everything. As for those who add nothing they go to what i like to call the shiny red iggy button.

I understand about it getting heated, call it my new resolution to try to keep it from getting personal :) Like you said we don't agree on everything but I do appreciate the conversation

BORDERLINE
03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Great Read.

How many times have I been called a Tebow fan boi or that I sucking off Tebow(more than I can think off). I see it as we are all ADULTS why come on a forum to talk football and act like kids with the name calling.

I don't watch college ball. I never had seen a complete Tebow game until He started for the Broncos. I'm not religious. A fan since 95' when I was 9. But the name calling won't stop. I don't expect it to. Some people are just to immature and won't be able to help themselves.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2012, 08:01 PM
l didn't read the article but the only discussions l have a problem with are the ones with Tebow/Gator fans, the ones that would have no idea who Ryan McBean is if the Broncos didn't draft Tim Tebow. I have absolutely no intention of ever showing them an ounce of respect. The billboarders too; "Peyton Manning? OMG! Timmy is in trouble, l better rent another billboard".......t('_').......

BroncoStud
03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I like Tim Tebow and I've been a Broncos fan all my life. I think the kid is special on and off the field. It wasn't the circus that won me over - it was his performance and how he led this team. I remember being in shock and horror when we drafted him, my phone blew up with texts like "LOL!" and "Tebow haha!"...

Then I saw him play his ass off every chance he was given, and my opinion changed. While the idea of Peyton Manning is fun and could be a good 2-3 year run, I sure would like to see how the Tebow Story would play out here too.

But this article is correct. There is a shameful bullying that goes on. We have been a divided fandom really since McDouche was hired, maybe even before that when Shanny benched Jake.

So yes, as a Broncos fan, I like Tebow. I think he has a lot of potential at QB. I hope he remains a Bronco for a very long time, even if we sign Manning.

BORDERLINE
03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
l didn't read the article but

:spam4:

Simple Jaded
03-11-2012, 10:45 PM

:flock:.......

BroncoStud
03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
You sure talk a lot of smack for someone who didn't even read the article... So because we happen to like Tim Tebow we are sheep? Mindless drones? That's comically sad...

Krugan
03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
l didn't read the article but the only discussions l have a problem with are the ones with Tebow/Gator fans, the ones that would have no idea who Ryan McBean is if the Broncos didn't draft Tim Tebow. I have absolutely no intention of ever showing them an ounce of respect. The billboarders too; "Peyton Manning? OMG! Timmy is in trouble, l better rent another billboard".......t('_').......

this stuff is funny, its fine if you want to be that way, but from what ive been reading lately anyone with a good opinion of tebow is a fan of his only.

To quote yourself "you dont ******* know me", so dont lable others.

Not that this was ever used upon myself, but you opend it up for response.

Dapper Dan
03-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I really don't even care if people start liking the Broncos because of Tebow. Even if they're Gator fans, they have the same colors. People start liking teams for many reasons. I could really care less about someone's fanhood. It's a pretty stupid argument to begin with. People really should worry about themselves more than others.

By the way, nice article.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2012, 01:07 AM
this stuff is funny, its fine if you want to be that way, but from what ive been reading lately anyone with a good opinion of tebow is a fan of his only.

To quote yourself "you dont ******* know me", so dont lable others.

Not that this was ever used upon myself, but you opend it up for response.

I actually have a few good opinions of Tebow and l'm not exactly what you'd call a fan of his. I have few friends that are huge fans of Tebow's, they were Broncos fan long before he was a Bronco and will be Broncos fans long after he's gone. l try not to question their loyalty or "Fanhood" because l know most people can be fans of both player and team. Just because l argue a Tebow fans opinion it doesn't mean l think they're not Broncos fans. I guess that's where l'm supposed to be different, l criticize a player and l'm told that l'm not a real fan of the team.

Anyway, huge difference between a Broncos fan who is a fan of Tebow and a Tebow/Gator fan.......

Simple Jaded
03-12-2012, 01:10 AM
You sure talk a lot of smack for someone who didn't even read the article... So because we happen to like Tim Tebow we are sheep? Mindless drones? That's comically sad...

You can say that again.......

shank
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
l didn't read the article

you might want to give it a look, it's about you.

vandammage13
03-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Nice article....My thoughts exactly.

BORDERLINE
03-12-2012, 09:32 AM

your one BAD dude. What do you gain in name calling? Do you think WE get our feelings HURT? DO you feel better after you done IT?

This thread is about people on the internet like you!! because I doubt your this vocal to Broncos fan's who like Tebow outside of the web.

At least all the people that read that article and see themselves described stayed away from the thread!!! You came on didn't read it and continued your attack!! DUDE your trying to HARD.

BroncoStud
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM

I could say a lot, but it's too easy. I'd rather deal with 1,000,000 Gator/Tebow fans than 1 Broncos fan like you. At least they bring SOMETHING worth having to the Broncos.

Dreadnought
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I happened across this on MHR, it pretty much sums up some of the frustrations I have been having over the last season. I am going to try to do a better job showing respect to my fellow forum members as I feel it leads to more rewarding discussions, I hope others feel the same way.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/3/9/2857759/on-zealotry-and-shaming

Great post. It has gotten so bad around here I have essentially given up trying to discuss football anymore due to relentless carping. Ironic that so many accusations and such are directed at "Tebois" etc. when there are in fact virtually none actually posting on the site.

catfish
03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Great post. It has gotten so bad around here I have essentially given up trying to discuss football anymore due to relentless carping. Ironic that so many accusations and such are directed at "Tebois" etc. when there are in fact virtually none actually posting on the site.

most of the ones I can recall have been absent since the season ended. I only really remember like 2 anyway Bullgator and VonSackEm. I am not sure how serious either of those two are. To me I relly feel the "circus" thing is overblown. Half the time I have trouble figuring out what they are referring to when they talk about the circus....is it the media coverage?

slim
03-12-2012, 01:22 PM

But there are a few haters posting here....some in this very thread.

To me, they are worse anyway. These are Bronco fans that are activetly rooting against the starting QB. I will never understand this.

catfish
03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
But there are a few haters posting here....some in this very thread.

To me, they are worse anyway. These are Bronco fans that are activetly rooting against the starting QB. I will never understand this.

I don't really like the term hater either. People all have their reasons to like/dislike any given player no shame in that I think if both sides stepped back from the labels it would add more to the discussion.

Not calling anyone out, just my 2 pennies

slim
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't really like the term hater either. People all have their reasons to like/dislike any given player no shame in that I think if both sides stepped back from the labels it would add more to the discussion.

Shut it, fanboi :welcome:

NightTerror218
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Nice post Kitty. Liked the article.

I started to watch Tebow when he gave the speech about not losing another game and he will push his team to play better. He wont me over then, I was a fan. I personally hate the Gators but like Tebow. If Tebow happens to get traded I will still bump heads with people on here since I have been a Bronco fan as long as I can remember. But fans come and go with players, they come and go with championships also. Who are we to argue why a person is a bronco fan and draw a line in the sand and say "bronco" fans on this side and "Tebow" fans on the other. It seemed like people we more willing to bash tebow and draw the line in the sand when a strong supporter was posting about Tebow. But with the whole Manning thing now, it seems like that "line" is being drawn again. If you dont want Manning you are a fanboi, if you have some sort of doubt about manning you are a fanboi.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I actually have a few good opinions of Tebow and l'm not exactly what you'd call a fan of his. I have few friends that are huge fans of Tebow's, they were Broncos fan long before he was a Bronco and will be Broncos fans long after he's gone. l try not to question their loyalty or "Fanhood" because l know most people can be fans of both player and team. Just because l argue a Tebow fans opinion it doesn't mean l think they're not Broncos fans. I guess that's where l'm supposed to be different, l criticize a player and l'm told that l'm not a real fan of the team.

Anyway, huge difference between a Broncos fan who is a fan of Tebow and a Tebow/Gator fan.......

So when you say things like "one win and Tebow gone" as being sufficient to justify the Peyton Manning signing and a Tebow trade you're thinking about the team? I had to ask because I'm one of the guys who doesn't ******* know you. You're right, I don't know you, but I do know your type and your unbridled and unreasonable hatred of Tebow is just as bad as the unconditional love of those labeled Tebow fanbois...

Your dislike of Tebow is more than just about his play. It's almost a personal thing with you. You seem to have an "any QB but Tebow" mentality that really doesn't have merit based off of the team's performance last year. Just saying. I have this strange feeling that if Tebow converted to TE and became Manning's #1 target, rivaling what Gronkowski did for Brady last year, you still wouldn't give him any credit and still would publicly voice your opinion to trade him.

Joel
03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
'Tis a good article, except I think it goes too far in attributing unqualified loathing of Tebow to religious intolerance. There are many other factors involved (e.g. McDumbass and college football.) Many Broncos fans who share most or all of Tebows religious views nonetheless want him off the team; many Broncos fans who share few or none of his religious views love his play.

The Lombardi tweet is a classic logical fallacy, in this case Affirming the Consequent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy#Affirming_the_consequent.2FDenying _the_antecedent Ironically, people who view every Broncos event through the lens of its connection to Tebow are doing the very thing they (rightly) decry: Reducing the Denver Broncos to an extension of Tim Tebow.

Chef Zambini
03-13-2012, 09:53 AM
opinions are like A-holes,
everybody has one.
but when an A-hole has an opinion, and access to the internet,
well then my friends you have a football forum. it is what it is, entertainment, diversion.
nothing we post here is going to change the world, but...
maybe we might read something to help change the people we are or at least moderate our thoughts and behavior.
I enjoy hearing alternate opinions.
I am a bronco fan in scottsdale, who else am I gonna talk to about my beloved broncos?

TEBOW enthusiasts, a passing fancy....
hows that for ironic.

Unless timmy changes positions, Manning will last longer over the next 4 years than timmy because timmy aint a real NFL QB.

BroncoStud
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Dealing in absolutes can bit you in the ass Zam. We may or may not see how much better Tebow will be this year but to write him off this early is just absurd.

weazel
03-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Great Read.

How many times have I been called a Tebow fan boi or that I sucking off Tebow(more than I can think off). I see it as we are all ADULTS why come on a forum to talk football and act like kids with the name calling.

I don't watch college ball. I never had seen a complete Tebow game until He started for the Broncos. I'm not religious. A fan since 95' when I was 9. But the name calling won't stop. I don't expect it to. Some people are just to immature and won't be able to help themselves.

hypocrisy at its finest, lol

weazel
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
I dont think Jaded was calling out anyone that was actually in this thread, maybe I'm wrong but I think his post was directed at the "jagsbch" type of "fan". No matter how much you admire Tebow, you know that type of person was only here to praise Tim and belittle the rest of the team and ultimately it proved correct as most of those posters are now banned. In fact I don't think we have any of them left, really.

BroncoStud
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Jaded goes out of his way to be as hostile and attacking as he can about anything positive Tebow. His posts are pretty much garbage and he is on the same level as posters like jagsbch, but call a spade a spade.

catfish
03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I dont think Jaded was calling out anyone that was actually in this thread, maybe I'm wrong but I think his post was directed at the "jagsbch" type of "fan". No matter how much you admire Tebow, you know that type of person was only here to praise Tim and belittle the rest of the team and ultimately it proved correct as most of those posters are now banned. In fact I don't think we have any of them left, really.

that is probably one of my frustrations with seeing fanboi tossed around so readily. I am probably the only one left that could accurately be classified as a "fanboi" and I try to keep it rational. All I see is a bunch of Broncos fans belittling each other at this point

Chef Zambini
03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
if you call a spade a shovel is it less offensive?

Joel
03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
if you call a spade a shovel is it less offensive?
To anyone aware the phrase has nothing to do with shovels, yes, considerably so. Also, spades and shovels aren't technically the same tool anyway; shovels taper, but spades have a flat bottom edge.

Northman
03-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Indeed.

Northman
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
that is probably one of my frustrations with seeing fanboi tossed around so readily. I am probably the only one left that could accurately be classified as a "fanboi" and I try to keep it rational. All I see is a bunch of Broncos fans belittling each other at this point

But to me that is the difference and personally you dont have to be a gator fan to be a fanboi. Some people have just attached themselves so blindly to this kid that it becomes very obsessive in their posting. Its like you cant state any "negatives" about Tim without an onslaught of the "hater" mantra. But in your case you at least look at it objectively as some of us other posters and that to me is what makes the discussions worthwhile. You just have to weed through the incessant garbage to get to some of the better posts unfortuantely.

weazel
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM

your 2 pennies make alot of cents heyoooooohhh!

BORDERLINE
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM
hypocrisy at its finest, lol

when you start a post saying you didn't read article the thread is about.

I'm sorry call me bat-shit crazy but that is SPAM. You need to take a look of the definition of "hypocrisy"

weazel
03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
when you start a post saying you didn't read article the thread is about.

I'm sorry call me bat-shit crazy but that is SPAM. You need to take a look of the definition of "hypocrisy"

when you start out by saying you are above calling names, you might want to refrain from calling someones post spam, that might just be bat-shit crazy.

BORDERLINE
03-13-2012, 07:43 PM
when you start out by saying you are above calling names, you might want to refrain from calling someones post spam, that might just be bat-shit crazy.

I said the post was SPAM. I never called him/her anything mildly offensive DID I? I didn't know "POST" had feelings. But when someone POST some dumb stuff THEY should be called out on IT.

BroncoStud
03-13-2012, 08:49 PM

But to me that is the difference and personally you dont have to be a gator fan to be a fanboi. Some people have just attached themselves so blindly to this kid that it becomes very obsessive in their posting. Its like you cant state any "negatives" about Tim without an onslaught of the "hater" mantra. But in your case you at least look at it objectively as some of us other posters and that to me is what makes the discussions worthwhile. You just have to weed through the incessant garbage to get to some of the better posts unfortuantely.

Yeah right. I haven't seen ANYONE, even the most zealous Tebow fans posting anything absurd about his ability in a very long time. Everyone pretty much knows his shortcomings by now.

It is when we look at his positives that the Haters go on the attack, and it's frequent. It has become almost impossible to say positive things about Tim Tebow without being attacked and ridiculed for it.

People will formulate the most pathetic arguments that defy logic while going to great lengths to avoid giving Tebow ANY credit.

Canmore
03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah right. I haven't seen ANYONE, even the most zealous Tebow fans posting anything absurd about his ability in a very long time. Everyone pretty much knows his shortcomings by now.

It is when we look at his positives that the Haters go on the attack, and it's frequent. It has become almost impossible to say positive things about Tim Tebow without being attacked and ridiculed for it.

People will formulate the most pathetic arguments that defy logic while going to great lengths to avoid giving Tebow ANY credit.

The Tebow "hate" is getting old.

nevcraw
03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
opinions are like A-holes,
everybody has one.
but when an A-hole has an opinion, and access to the internet,
well then my friends you have a football forum. it is what it is, entertainment, diversion.
nothing we post here is going to change the world, but...
maybe we might read something to help change the people we are or at least moderate our thoughts and behavior.
I enjoy hearing alternate opinions.
I am a bronco fan in scottsdale, who else am I gonna talk to about my beloved broncos?

TEBOW enthusiasts, a passing fancy....
hows that for ironic.

Unless timmy changes positions, Manning will last longer over the next 4 years than timmy because timmy aint a real NFL QB.

we know your opinions but what we don't know for sure -- are you really a chef?

nevcraw
03-13-2012, 09:29 PM

I just don't get this fear mongering about so called Tebowmaniacs.. How much garbage is really being spewed and if so wouldn't you agree it comes form both sides of the fence??
I really don't see where they fanboys infiltrate the forum or poison discussions with some blind faith. Most posters here are lifers and just happen to be split between belief and disbelief. no biggie... I happen to enjoy the constructive disagreements before everyone gets pigeonholed between one camp or the other. there is super wide chasm between the 2 if either even exist.

Northman
03-14-2012, 07:09 AM
I just don't get this fear mongering about so called Tebowmaniacs.. How much garbage is really being spewed and if so wouldn't you agree it comes form both sides of the fence??
I really don't see where they fanboys infiltrate the forum or poison discussions with some blind faith. Most posters here are lifers and just happen to be split between belief and disbelief. no biggie... I happen to enjoy the constructive disagreements before everyone gets pigeonholed between one camp or the other. there is super wide chasm between the 2 if either even exist.

Certainly a matter of opinion of whether or not it gets "poisoned" but i agree it happens from both ends. I just happen to see it more from people i believe arent looking at the subject matter objectively. But your right, it does happen from both ends.

claymore
03-14-2012, 07:18 AM
People seem to incorporate the players personalities and private lives into their evaluation of them as QB's. Thats what frustrates me.

I could give 2 shits if Tebow helps 10,000 Tsunami victims find saftey, and food. I really dont give a ****. In fact, Im kinda concerned it distracts from football. I damn sure didnt care what Cutler did on his own time either. As long as they arent beating up hookers (Plummer) and doing something to get suspended, then I dont give a shit.

When the emotional aspect of Tebow is taken out, I dont see why people want him to be our QB. After watching him for a full year.

weazel
03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I said the post was SPAM. I never called him/her anything mildly offensive DID I? I didn't know "POST" had feelings. But when someone POST some dumb stuff THEY should be called out on IT.

lol you can spin what you doing any way you like, I couldn't care less, borderline. I just thought it was funny you did that

BroncoStud
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
People seem to incorporate the players personalities and private lives into their evaluation of them as QB's. Thats what frustrates me.

I could give 2 shits if Tebow helps 10,000 Tsunami victims find saftey, and food. I really dont give a ****. In fact, Im kinda concerned it distracts from football. I damn sure didnt care what Cutler did on his own time either. As long as they arent beating up hookers (Plummer) and doing something to get suspended, then I dont give a shit.

When the emotional aspect of Tebow is taken out, I dont see why people want him to be our QB. After watching him for a full year.

Tim tebow has as many playoff wins as Jay Cutler does, and in half a decade less time.

BigDaddyBronco
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Tim tebow has as many playoff wins as Jay Cutler does, and in half a decade less time.

Clay doesn't like Tebow because he isn't a diabetic drunk.

claymore
03-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Knowin that Tebows trade value should be like what? a 4th, maybe a 5th rounder? Nobody wants tebow. He sucks.

claymore
03-14-2012, 02:22 PM

I dont like him because he sucks. He is the worst QB ive ever seen.

BigDaddyBronco
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
I dont like him because he sucks. He is the worst QB ive ever seen.

At least he didn't quit during the biggest game of his life.

slim
03-14-2012, 04:07 PM

He actually had a legit injury too.

No one would have blamed him from leaving the NE game.

nevcraw
03-14-2012, 04:25 PM

or a sideline grumpy von grumps alot.

BigDaddyBronco
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
or a sideline grumpy von grumps alot.

Or after the game when you left due to "injury", you were spotted that night at a club climbing stairs to a private room to get your Goose on.

weazel
03-14-2012, 04:51 PM

nope, he shit the bed ...jokes

nevcraw
03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
nope, he shit the bed ...jokes

just like he did in the playoffs against Pitt. I know, he got lucky, the defense did it, Pitt was injured, etc. etc. -- respectively you can save your breath..