PDA

View Full Version : MCD talks about Prater

Spiritguy
03-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Those who squirmed through the second half of the Broncos' 2008 season may have noticed one of the few positions the new administration hasn't touched is place-kicker.

New coach Josh McDaniels and special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer are aware of how Matt Prater was sensational early and maddening late. And while they will eventually bring in a younger kicker to compete with Prater, they aren't about to give up on him.

"He's a young player with a lot of ability," McDaniels said. "He went through a wall, if you will, where he didn't play quite as well in the second half of the year. You always hope there's significant growth between your first year and second year and again your second year and third year. I think he probably

A touchback machine through seven games when he made 13-of-14 field goals, Prater, 24, began leaking after the Week 8 bye week. He made only 12-of-20 field-goal attempts in the final nine games, and his kickoffs struggled to penetrate the 5-yard line.

"People talk about dealing with adversity, but sometimes dealing with success is just as much a challenge," McDaniels said. "The first half of the season, I'm not sure there was anybody better. That shows me we've got a guy who can do it. Our challenge is to get him to do it consistently for 16, 18 games, 20 counting the preseason."

Broncos work out players.

There aren't too many projected first- and second-round players the Broncos have worked out in recent weeks. Among those who recently got a look were Ohio State inside linebacker James Laurinaitis and Utah defensive end Paul Kruger.

They would be considered if they fell to the Broncos' No. 48 overall pick in round 2. With their No. 12 overall selection, the Broncos most likely will grab a defensive lineman,preferably a pass rusher if defensive tackle B.J. Raji is already gone.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12026430

NightTrainLayne
03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
A touchback machine through seven games when he made 13-of-14 field goals, Prater, 24, began leaking after the Week 8 bye week. He made only 12-of-20 field-goal attempts in the final nine games, and his kickoffs struggled to penetrate the 5-yard line.

I read this earlier. I just plain don't remember Prater making 13-of-14 FG's in the first seven games. . ..What I remember (my memory is obviously imperfect) is that it seemed he'd miss the first one he attempted, and then make the rest for each game. . .at least it seemed that way.

Anyways, I may have to go back and look, because I just simply do not believe that Prater only missed one during the first seven games. Maybe they're talking about something like 30-yards or less or something.

roomemp
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Prater was spot on during the first seven games. He just fell apart the second half of the season. He admitted after the season that his body really wore down towards the end. If so, that sounds like something he could correct. I like Prater. I hope he wins the kicking duties, but he needs to show up every game.

Dirk
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Prater was spot on during the first seven games. He just fell apart the second half of the season. He admitted after the season that his body really wore down towards the end. If so, that sounds like something he could correct. I like Prater. I hope he wins the kicking duties, but he needs to show up every game.

hmmm...sounds like that conditioning program biting another player last year. :tsk:

Northman
03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Yea, Prater was good early on and struggled a bit down the stretch.

NightTrainLayne
03-30-2009, 11:53 AM

You are right. I must either be remembering his pre-season kicks, or his kicking after the bye week when he started to fall apart. He did do an amazing job during the first 8 weeks. :salute:

MOtorboat
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I read this earlier. I just plain don't remember Prater making 13-of-14 FG's in the first seven games. . ..What I remember (my memory is obviously imperfect) is that it seemed he'd miss the first one he attempted, and then make the rest for each game. . .at least it seemed that way.

Anyways, I may have to go back and look, because I just simply do not believe that Prater only missed one during the first seven games. Maybe they're talking about something like 30-yards or less or something.

Yup, just one before the bye. Then he missed eight after the bye.

I think that can be said about a lot of guys on that team.

broncohead
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
hmmm...sounds like that conditioning program biting another player last year. :tsk:

For a kicker? Sounds like poor work ethic.

broncofaninfla
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Sounds risky to put all of our faith in Prater given how he fell apart last year. Very surprsied we don't some competition in at that spot.

dogfish
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM

i blame poor holds from the punter. . . . :coffee:

shank
03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
You are right. I must either be remembering his pre-season kicks, or his kicking after the bye week when he started to fall apart. He did do an amazing job during the first 8 weeks. :salute:

i think you must just be recalling the freshest memories... prater was very good in camp and in pre-season as well. towards the end of camp he made a comment that he hadn't missed a fieldgoal yet, and i remember when he hit that 69 yarder in a live game drill.

he's still young and has a great leg. everyone thought he was in a mental slump the 2nd half of the season, but then he admitted he was worn down. either one can be fixed with the right training, coaching, and experience.

broncobryce
03-30-2009, 05:31 PM

It was Cutler's fault, quit making excuses for the QB!!

bcbronc
03-30-2009, 05:48 PM

come on dog, we all know it was due to the wrong velocity on the long snaps. thanks gawd McD kicked Leach to the curb and addressed it.

horsepig
03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
come on dog, we all know it was due to the wrong velocity on the long snaps. thanks gawd McD kicked Leach to the curb and addressed it.

I got to admit bc, I still don't get that move. I have steadfastly backed McD. and will continue to do so. This franchise needs to get back to reality, you can't win in the NFL with some of the second and third tier players Shanny was constantly collecting and staying with.

That said, I still don't get the Leach deal.

rcsodak
03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Yup, just one before the bye. Then he missed eight after the bye.

Thanks for that clarification. :rolleyes:

rcsodak
03-30-2009, 10:37 PM

Nah...it was Leach's fault.

Don't have to worry about him anymore...... :coffee:

dogfish
03-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Nah...it was Leach's fault.

Don't have to worry about him anymore...... :coffee:

yea, thank god that bum's gone. . . . :coffee:

NameUsedBefore
03-30-2009, 11:59 PM
With our 5-million dollar long snapper the balls will kick themselves, not to mention drop mad lyrics and act as embarrassingly as possible on their way down.

shank
03-31-2009, 01:12 AM
With our 5-million dollar long snapper the balls will kick themselves, not to mention drop mad lyrics and act as embarrassingly as possible on their way down.

we won't need a holder and can keep an extra man in to block? for 5 million, he should just snap the ball and bounce it off of prater's extended foot. from 57 yards... GOOD!

:tsk: lonie.

LordTrychon
03-31-2009, 01:16 AM
Heaven forbid...

If we have a botched long snap this year....

Look out.

TXBRONC
03-31-2009, 06:06 AM

In preseason that happened to him. He would miss the first and then hit on two or three others. IIRC Praters only miss early in the season was against the Chiefs at Arrowhead.

dogfish
03-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Heaven forbid...

If we have a botched long snap this year....

Look out.

oh, there will be blood. . . ..