PDA

View Full Version : Could Wells end up in Denver or San Diego?

Magnificent Seven
03-29-2009, 04:57 PM
A source close to the situation confirmed Ohio State star running back Chris "Beanie" Wells will visit both the Denver Broncos and the San Diego Chargers prior to the April 25-26 draft. Wells is considered a sure first-round pick.

San Diego is clearly going to consider running backs. The Chargers are planning a private meeting with Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno, the other top running back prospect. The interest in Wells and Moreno comes despite the fact that the Chargers are tying up nearly $13 million in salary this year to running backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles. Plus, San Diego has pressing defensive needs.

Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner held a private workout with Wells a couple of weeks ago so the team is clearly interested in him. Wells would be entering a crowded backfield if drafted by Denver.

Denver signed three veteran running backs this offseason. Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan were all brought in. The Broncos also have youngsters Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

Sometimes teams use pre-draft visits as decoys. Teams will visit with players from positions they have no intentions of drafting in the early rounds in an attempt to fool other teams. Former Denver coach Mike Shanahan routinely did that. Perhaps this is what new Denver coach Josh McDaniels is doing with Wells.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1870/Could-Wells-end-up-in-Denver-or-San-Diego-.html

Northman
03-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Wouldnt shock me.

ToTheHouse
03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
God I hope not.

RunYouOver
03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I really, really hope not.

I was pretty sure we already took care of our RB situation, we need defense and (hopefully not) a quarterback.

honz
03-29-2009, 05:41 PM
The Broncos will not take a single RB in this draft...and definitely not in the 1st round.

LRtagger
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
not at 12 no thanks. If we can trade back for more picks I wouldnt be opposed to Wells or Moreno late in the 1st.

tubby
03-29-2009, 07:40 PM
I hope SEA takes him.

BroncoWave
03-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Meh, we've worked out a bunch of players. No big deal. Very slim chance that we draft Moreno IMO.

underrated29
03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I agree seattle will take him...They want a bigger, faster, bruiser to compliment Jul jones. The other guy from atlanta-forgot his name is only their 3rd down back.

omac
03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, a good RB could help sustain drives, so that could help our defense ... by limiting their appearance on the field. If we do get an RB that early, then McDaniels might be following in Shanny's approach to last season, where he relied on the offense to make up for the defense's shortcomings. That approach, when we had Pittman, Torain, and Hillis healthy, worked out pretty good.

bullis26
03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I agree seattle will take him...They want a bigger, faster, bruiser to compliment Jul jones. The other guy from atlanta-forgot his name is only their 3rd down back.

Tj Duckett

EMB6903
03-29-2009, 11:13 PM
no way Seattle takes him with the 4th overall pick

EMB6903
03-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Tj Duckett

I dont think Seattle will hesitate on taking a power back early because of TJ Duckett

sneakers
03-29-2009, 11:22 PM
We already have 27 running backs on our roster!!!!

NickelTG
03-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Too many problems in Denver to worry about a very possible "injury prone" NFL back. His potential is pretty high,but this team is too troubled for daydreams right now.