PDA

View Full Version : 1977 memories: Tom Jackson

East Coast Fan
03-28-2009, 04:36 PM
In a continuing effort to change our emotions from the nonsense that is going on, I thought that I'd put in another "installment" of our little series reflecting back on the great team of '77. This time the memories are of Tom Jackson. I remember his great games that season against the Colts and Steelers; the comment to John Madden after he knocked out the Raider's Clarence Davis "it's all over, fatman" and him in the Broncos locker room after winning the AFC Championship game saying repeatedly "do they believe NOW"? A very emotional and inspirational leader on that team and I think a pretty good football analyst. Let's hear it....

ORANGE CRUSH :defense:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2009, 06:06 PM
By far, TJ is one of my favs. Quite a while back, the Broncos were selling active player's practice jerseys, and I bought TJ's - grass stains, and all :salute:

bud
03-28-2009, 06:08 PM
A Steelers fan was kind enough to remind us about the '77 divisional playoff.

Jackson picked bonehead Bradshaw twice--in the 4th.

He killed their season.

horsepig
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Geeze, man, everytime I see number fittysevn running around on anybodies defense, I just can't help but yell GO TJ inside my head. Number 57 will always be associated with a "kick ass and take names later" player. "**** you Fatman. it's over!"

horsepig
03-28-2009, 07:45 PM

He killed their season.

Anybody remember mean Joe sucker punching Paul Howard right in the gut? The mighty Steelers were feeling beat down!

East Coast Fan
03-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Anybody remember mean Joe sucker punching Paul Howard right in the gut? The mighty Steelers were feeling beat down!

Certainly do remember that; two plays later he tried it again and got in a tussle with Mike Montler. Remember Red Miller going after the Steelers defensive line coach right before halftime? And the crowd chanting "we want Greene, we want Greene". Nice thing was that Howard and Greene shook hands right before the game was over.

East Coast Fan
03-28-2009, 07:55 PM

He killed their season.

I've always felt that Bradshaw "harbored" bad feelings towards the Broncos because as you said we "killed their season". They thought that they were going to win it all again and how dare these upstart Broncos ruin their plans! :lol:

broncofaninfla
03-30-2009, 07:37 AM
TJ #57, always in on the tackle, always around the ball and always played with passion. Fired the players and fans up, Defintely one of the all time greats in Broncos history.

Shazam!
03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
I've always felt that Bradshaw "harbored" bad feelings towards the Broncos because as you said we "killed their season".

That's why he never had anything good to say about John Elway. He was jealous of his cannon arm, full head of hair and golf handicap.

Bronco Bible
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
The play I remember most is when he stopped the Chefs on our two yard line at their place that year:defense:

CoachChaz
03-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I wore #57 on my Jr. High football team because of him.

TXBRONC
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Next to Randy Gradishar whom I think was the very heart of the Orange Crush Tom Jackson was second favorite linebacker. :defense:

Medford Bronco
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
This is the best Bronco defense we have ever had.

I just wish we could recpature some of that magic and have it for our
defense. Stopping the other team in the clutch is a great feeling, especially
on the road vs a very good offense.

TXBRONC
03-30-2009, 03:38 PM

There is no reason that we can't, if McDaniels can draft well.

East Coast Fan
03-30-2009, 08:03 PM

They certainly were something special, and I think very underated and somewhat "unrecognized" by a lot of people. Dan Fouts said that "when you played their defense you didn't get beat up physically but they beat you up mentally (with all the different looks and formations)". I give Joe Collier a lot of credit for that. :salute:

horsepig
03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I remember watching Foutsy throw for over 400 one day at Mile Hi and the Orange Crush
and Steve Watson won that game 6-0. Like 440 yards passing for "Air Coryell" and TJ and his boys shut'em out! Joe Collier is a forgotten man because he coached here but, he is my number one all time DC. Who ever did more with less or was more innovative?

Bronco Bible
04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Do you remember the teams in the afc playoffs alone!:eek:

Broncolingus
04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately, much of Joe Collier's legacy outside the state was the defenses that got ripped apart in the back-to-back SuperBowls of the 80s...unfair to be sure, but equally unfortunate.

Til the day I die, I'll never figure that damn second QTR against Washington...

TJ one of the best EVER - on the field, and more importantly, OFF the field.

Never Trust a Snake
04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
"It's all over fat man!"

One thing I always loved about TJ is that he never hides his disdain for the Raiders even on the air.

FanInAZ
04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
I've always felt that Bradshaw "harbored" bad feelings towards the Broncos because as you said we "killed their season". They thought that they were going to win it all again and how dare these upstart Broncos ruin their plans! :lol:

That is actually a plausible explanation to a question that I had for years, how could Bradshaw roast Elway the way he did after the SB loses? He clearly lacked the supporting cast, especally on offense, necessary to win.

East Coast Fan
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
That is actually a plausible explanation to a question that I had for years, how could Bradshaw roast Elway the way he did after the SB loses? He clearly lacked the supporting cast, especally on offense, necessary to win.

Yes, and remember who was there as a broadcaster to help present the Broncos with the Super Bowl trophy?-BRADSHAW!

Bronco Bible
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes, and remember who was there as a broadcaster to help present the Broncos with the Super Bowl trophy?-BRADSHAW!

Brad-Ivegothalf the frikken hallof fame aroundme shaw