PDA

View Full Version : Updated Mock: 10/17 - The Beat

Requiem / The Dagda
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Updated mock due to the possible suspension of Travis Henry.

The Beat - Mock Draft (http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/)

dogfish
10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
interesting. . . you think bryant will really drop that far? of course i'd love to get a widebody like him on the second day, but it would be freakin' nerve-racking sitting and hoping for a guy to fall. . . i'm not sold on him yet, but do you think okam might be available in the upper half of the 2nd? i've told you before that rivers is right at the top of my wish list right now, so that pick i love-- but i also wouldn't argue with taking a guy like lauranaitis and potentially moving dj back to WILL, either. . .

obviously so much depends on what we do in free agency, but as of right now i myself am just not very high on the idea of taking a first day RB. . . no doubt it would be fantastic to have a true feature back to lean on, but i just feel that the need is greater in other areas. . . i really feel that our two lonely first day picks this year should be devoted to shoring up our absolutely wretched defensive front seven-- one pick isn't going to come close to getting the job done there, even if the rookie DLs progress the way we're hoping they will. . .

having a top back to lean on would be great, but i think having a D that won't give up 30+ points per game actually takes more pressure off of our young QB-- and would allow us to get a much bigger return from our secondary, as well. . . as much as i'd love to have that real horse in the backfield, with our history of getting production from average backs i think we can probably get by for a year if need be. . . i'm a huge fan of michael turner, so i would be strongly in favor of denver pursuing him in FA-- that would really be an ideal solution. . .

Skinny
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Damn that would be a helluva draft! Not to much familiar with Zuttah and Mays.

Couple questions Dream. . .

What type of impact could we see in Zuttah. Is he a project or can he make the active roster his 1st year??

Do you really see Davis not going till the 2nd round?? That suprises me.

lex
10-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Damn that would be a helluva draft! Not to much familiar with Zuttah and Mays.

Couple questions Dream. . .

What type of impact could we see in Zuttah. Is he a project or can he make the active roster his 1st year??

Do you really see Davis not going till the 2nd round?? That suprises me.

Zuttah was 1st team all Big East last year and was a big part of Ray Rices big season. He can play all along the line. I watched him this weekend and he was very adept at getting out on the MLB and taking him out of the play...so he's a guy who you like at "the next level". I like Zuttah as well.

BTW, I dont think Bryant will be there in Rd 4. Ive watched him twice against Baylor and then against Oklahoma State. He actually had a good game against Oklahoma State. He moved along the line pretty well to stuff Savage. In fact, Ok State tended to run away from Bryant. And honestly, this is something that Ive been seeing when watching Okam, Bryant and Moore. What some people call taking plays off really, to me, seems more like the offense running to the other side. This is especially true with Moore.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
On Bryant: His games are hit or miss. It doesn't look like he's came back a hundred percent from his knee injuries. He's too inconsistent of a player to carry a first-day grade right now, and his injury from last year (season ending) is really holding him back. It would not surprise me at all for him to fall. He really needs to pick it up. He's being outplayed by all the other lineman on the Aggies, but Bryant does draw double teams.

On Okam: I think his grade is going to be awfully ambiguous. Some teams will love him, I think some teams will hate him. He has all-pro talent but sometimes plays like a kitty cat. I think he's in that #25-#40 range right now, and it'd really depend on who needed what. If Dorsey and Ellis go high, he'll have a battle with Moore and Balmer for the next positions to get taken. A lot of teams will be focusing on improving their lines this year.

On Davis: Yeah, Davis would probably go in the second round. He has first-round talent, but if McFadden, Stewart and Slaton declare, they'll all go ahead of him. I would think Michael Hart would as well. I'd see Davis battling it back and forth between Choice and Torrain to be the next set of backs taken. Also, I do think he'll make the jump to go pro. Some people don't think there are any substance to the rumors about him being dissatisfied but I've read more articles and gotten more messages regarding his situation that make me seem to think he'd rather go pro than stay and split carries as a senior. That won't improve his stock. Being a lucrative young 22 would help as well.

On Zuttah: I'd consider him to be a better college prospect that Kuper or Myers, and he has the ability to play all over the line as well. He's a likely interior guy, but with the uncertainty of Nalen and Hamilton for the future (even though the coaching staff thinks they'll be a hundred percent, but let's be honest - they've thought a lot of things) it's just nice to have options at both guard spots and right tackle. Tackle would probably cause him problems, but he is real strong for his size and I'd like to think he could challenge for a position right away, at the very least the next year after he was drafted.

You can see him and Sosa up close and personal against #2 South Florida tomorrow evening.

On Lex's comments, I think he's absolutely right on Zuttah, and I do see his claim (substance to it) on the bigger defensive lineman. I can see it being the case with Moore, but I do believe that Bryant is still being hurt by his injury and I think that Okam has a tough time getting motivated.

All and all, I think we'll have a nice draft and I'm glad you guys liked the ideas.

I know that some of you weren't for a first-day running back, but I just happen to be against shelling out big bonus money at a guy like Turner who will get more than he's worth.

I'll do an update in another three or four weeks.

Skinny
10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info Dream and lex. I'll definitely be watching the Rutgers/S.Fla game so i'll be sure to check out Zuttah.

Love the James Davis pick if i do say so myself, even being a Gamecock fan. He and C.J. Spiller get alot of media attention around here so i'm very familiar with him. He's a solid runningback and would be a really good fit in Denver.

eessydo
10-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Anyone got a grade on Bryant against some real competition. No offense but an eyeball test on him against Baylor and OSU doesn't really give me confidence.

Sorry, I am down here in SEC/ACC country and Big 12 is not overly televised. I did see the Georgia opener against OSU, and the cowboys failed to impress me as an offense. Georgia's defense is mediocre at best this year and they manage to put the breaks on that team.

Would like to see a grade against one of the better teams that matches him up against another NFL prospect at guard or center.

lex
10-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Anyone got a grade on Bryant against some real competition. No offense but an eyeball test on him against Baylor and OSU doesn't really give me confidence.

Sorry, I am down here in SEC/ACC country and Big 12 is not overly televised. I did see the Georgia opener against OSU, and the cowboys failed to impress me as an offense. Georgia's defense is mediocre at best this year and they manage to put the breaks on that team.

Would like to see a grade against one of the better teams that matches him up against another NFL prospect at guard or center.

I dont think Bryant resumed playing until after the season started. So theres not a lot out there other than prior years. And if you dont like my description the best thing for you to do is pay the $130 for Gameplan and whatever your provider charges for the extra fox sports channels so you can watch for yourself.

underrated29
10-18-2007, 12:56 PM
sounds pretty good to me. I think i would prefer us to switch rb and dt, but you said the dt dropoff might be huge after rd #1 so if thats the case and a great rb is there then it makes sense- which im sure it does other wise you wouldnt have done it that way.

I still think that we need multiple dline and lb in our first few selections. And to go agaisnt dog, i dont like turner all that much. Granted i havent seen much of him, and i didnt get to see the charger game agianst us last week. (wife made me go to some stupid birthday thing, SOO PISSED!!, but she controls the sex. so my hands were tied.) So i cant give a great opinion at the moment. so we will see.

I do agree with dog though that we could probably get by with an average back next year if we had too. Our o is moving the chains pretty well. SO an upgrade over mike and selvin isnt an absolute must have. Our d however is also moving the chains with ease, in the wrong direction. I think we got to put almost all of our firepower back there to shore it up.

overall good analysis. I look foreward to more.