PDA

View Full Version : teams are out there making trades...how about us???

broncos9697
10-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I see some very big trades going on with othere teams in the nfl...does anyone know if denver is working on any kind of trade or not....I and the rest of the members would love to know if anyone has heard anything.....

dogfish
10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
i believe the trading deadline has passed. . . .

Uncle Buck
10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm no longer a fan of trading. We traded Clinton Portis, and came out on the best end of the deal. When was the last time you saw the Redskins in double digit W's?

I'm getting more into the "team" mentality, and developing what you have.

If otherwise, why do we have 53 members on the team?

Stargazer
10-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I see some very big trades going on with othere teams in the nfl...does anyone know if denver is working on any kind of trade or not....I and the rest of the members would love to know if anyone has heard anything.....

No single additonal player can turn around the Broncos defense. Changes need & will be made in the offseason.

I'm glad that Broncos did not make a trade before the deadline resulting in draft picks because that's essentially what it would cost to get a deal done.

pnbronco
10-18-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm no longer a fan of trading. We traded Clinton Portis, and came out on the best end of the deal. When was the last time you saw the Redskins in double digit W's?

I'm getting more into the "team" mentality, and developing what you have.

If otherwise, why do we have 53 members on the team?

Very well said Uncle Buck. While I was driving out to CA I heard I bet on 3 different sports stations how important the draft is and developing them into your team. I think the key to success is having a well balanced team.

sneakers
10-18-2007, 01:10 AM
It is hard to trade in the NFL....you always have to give something good to get something good. It isn't like Madden where you can trade your 2nd and 3rd round picks for LT.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2007, 03:55 AM
Very well said Uncle Buck. While I was driving out to CA I heard I bet on 3 different sports stations how important the draft is and developing them into your team. I think the key to success is having a well balanced team.

Absolutely, pn!

I would even go so far to say that internal development (building a team from within) is even MORE important than relying upon just draft hopes, alone.

Yeah, we got lucky with Cutler. OAK should have had him, if they were smart--which they were not! :cool:

But, look, a QB is a key player. We do have Cutler, and I have every reason to believe that we have all the elements to rebuild a team around him.

The management just has to be smart about it. Travis Henry is questionable--both in the injury-prone factor and his bad rep. This team should not built around Henry, but we do need a power running back.

My take is that, as always, under the Shanny watch, we can develop another on our own.

Young, perhaps?

I don't know. But, bottom line, this team has to definitely rebuild.

On the bright side, some key elements are already here.

We just need to play it cool. Real cool.

(Rebecca agrees, btw)

:cool:

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Trading in the NFl is extremely overated.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Unless you're making trades to get linchpin franchise players to your team, there really is no benefit at this point in the season. Any acquisition we'd have on the team, whether it was a stud DL or not would go through the same adjustment period as anyone else. It would have been interesting to get a guy like Moore who could have helped us out in the running game if Henry goes bye-bye and in the return game for slim pickins' - but that doesn't happen.

Before Denver had an influx of youth these past several drafts, they were a relatively older team. Denver for a long time got their players through FA and trades than through the draft - but you can definitely see that they're placing more emphasis on the draft, which is maybe why they've been more successful.

2006 was a great example of this. Make some moves, get your future quarterback - get a Pro-Bowl wide receiver to help him out via trade, draft a couple of targets for him on offense with the next few picks, get a defensive lineman and some other offensive guys to contribute down the road.

What people need to understand is if they want to go to this heavy drafting approach to building a team, it's going to take time. It took the Patriots some time, and a few years down the road it clicked. It'll probably be one or two more "drafting building" years if we take just that SOLE approach before everything would click or mesh.