PDA

View Full Version : Fox source says that McDaniels was worried about Jay's alcohol consumption and intelligence and why he was considered for trade

Northman
03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
This is coming from Montrose over on the Mane. So dont shoot the messenger.

Source: Secrets Inside Cutler Trade Talks
By Josina Anderson, Fox 31 Denver

Several weeks ago, I called one of my NFL sources for information regarding the free agent market. I received what I expected, and something I didn't: a heads up about a "possible three-way trade in the near future."

I figured my source was talking about a deal outside of Denver; because clearly if they were holding a secret about a grain of salt in the Rocky Mountains my source would have spilled the beans even about that right then and there right?

Nope.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that vague tip weeks ago was about Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, head coach Josh McDaniels, and the "Real World" episode airing about them daily on a television set now near you.

Unfortunately, the dots were finally connected for me in our conversation just (yes just) yesterday afternoon.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry Josina. I couldn't tell you at the time. [The secret trade talks] were too high up then. But, when I knew it was about to get out I tried to call you. Unfortunately I didn't have the phone with your number in it right then and there," my source explained pitifully.

Smile.

Clearly my source forgot about this radical invention called 411. You dial it on the phone nearest to you, and ask the operator to connect you to KDVR FOX 31 in Denver.

Lol.

After I finished yanking their chain for a good ten minutes over the phone, my source relented and revealed some rather interesting details about the now infamous Cutler trade that didn't materialize, and, their primary insight about Denver's A-list key players.

The first thing the source wanted to emphasize without hesitation was the fact that McDaniels definitely had his hand in the cookie jar.

Even though McDaniels characterized the Cutler trade talks as just “conversations,” in a recent interview with the NFL Network, and said that, “there wasn’t anything that we were trying to push hard to get through,” my source begged to differ in unbridled amusement.

"[Denver] was definitely negotiating. They were trying to get a trade in place and there is no doubt about that," said the league source.

“From Minnesota to Detroit to Tampa, although they got in the game late, Denver was trying to get something in place.”

As for why McDaniels was so hard pressed to roll Cutler out on the next Rocky Mountain train to “Anywhere but Here-land” my source (with primary knowledge of these conversations) said there were consistent themes in the coach’s concerns about Cutler.

(Again this was relayed to my ears, from their ears. The following is what was heard by my source in these trade whispers, not what FOX31 cites as definite facts about Cutler.)

The source said there are concerns about Cutler’s consumption of alcohol, and “that he’s not that sharp.”

“That scared the crap out of McDaniels,” the source said.

The source expanded their perspective of McDaniels’ concerns of Cutler learning and working in the Broncos’ new offensive scheme.

“This is a very complex situation. You have to be so smart to play his [McDaniels’] offense. [Tom] Brady and [Matt] Cassel are exceedingly smart quarterbacks. They are not the best athletes in the world but they both make really intelligent decisions. Cutler has a canon for an arm, but he doesn’t manage the game like those guys in critical situations. Brady and Cassel are workaholics. They have the stature, and they have the ability,” said the source.

Well everyone can argue about who they feel is the better quarterback between Cutler and Cassel now.

But at the end of the day, when it comes to the root of all of this drama in Denver, the source told FOX31 to point at New England and Kansas City.

“[Bill] Belichick had first round offers and then some for Cassel. Believe me, a lot of people knew that was on the table. But look at what Matt ended up going to Kansas City for nothing. (Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel went to the Chiefs in exchange for a 2009 second round draft pick.) Trust me Bill wanted to pull the trigger on this one sooner rather than later. Then [Scott] Pioli [the Chiefs new General Manager and former Patriots personnel executive] was scared [edit]-less that he wasn’t going to end up with Cassel for a moment there because before he left [New England] Scott was [edit] sure he was going to get Matt-that’s why I feel he took the job in Kansas City. I am convinced it was [Belichick’s and Pioli’s master plan for [Pioli] to get Cassel all along when you watch how this played out.”

As for why Belichick ended up giving the Chiefs and Pioli such a sweetheart deal, the source opined some more.

“At the time all of this was going down, there’s was a part of me that felt like Belichick really wanted to take credit for Cassel. You see, I think if Matt goes to Kansas City, there is a chance he won’t be as good in the Chiefs’ system. Obviously if Cassel ended up in Denver, McDaniels can take more ownership of Matt’s success.”

But the league source told FOX31 sports that in his opinion Belichick took a lesser deal for Cassel in part to disassociate McDaniels’ work in Cassel’s accomplishments.

“I think Bill wants people to know that Brady and Cassel are successes because of his system. You see every other coach that left the Patriots has basically fallen flat on their face.”

As for who McDaniels will scout to replace Cutler if the Pro Bowl quarterback leaves?

“It will definitely have to be somebody who is smart enough to understand the intricacies of his system.”

And if Cutler is smart enough, he’ll make sure he convinces McDaniels he’s the guy not just physically but mentally as well.

“McDaniels has all the leverage he needs because Cutler is under contract, period. If Cutler tries to force his way out of there, plays for another team and performs poorly after all of this drama, his value will tank tremendously. Hopefully he decides to go back, but right now he is looking like an [edit].”

http://community.kdvr.com/_Source-Se...idgetId=161804

weazel
03-27-2009, 10:55 AM
this is old, and was on a local denver fox station writer's blog. She has since deleted some of it. its rubbish

getlynched47
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
this is old bullshit...

Buff
03-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I was going to link to Tubby's thread about this... But he must have pulled a Josina and deleted it.

Dirk
03-27-2009, 11:08 AM
:tsk::rolleyes::tsk:

tubby
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Completely valid.

tubby
03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Seriously 100%

KCL
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
So Cutler is a drunk? I wonder if his drinking has increased with all the drama
going on....:confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Completely valid.

Completely valid, based on what besides someone stating it on her blog?

hotcarl
03-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Also reported:

Cutler injects heroin into his eyeballs with syringes he is supposed to be using for insilun but he doesnt care about his diabetes so he traded the insulin to a south american gang in exchange for adrenochrome which was made from extracting the adrenaline glands out of live humans (he shoots this into his eyeballs too) he also killed my dog :salute:

*Atwater*
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Also reported:

Cutler injects heroin into his eyeballs with syringes he is supposed to be using for insilun but he doesnt care about his diabetes so he traded the insulin to a south american gang in exchange for adrenochrome which was made from extracting the adrenaline glands out of live humans (he shoots this into his eyeballs too) he also killed my dog :salute:

Damn he got your dog too that S.O.B. :tsk:

hotcarl
03-27-2009, 12:09 PM

yeah thats what he does he drives around denver at night (after he gets blazing drunk) looking for pets he can steal and kill and drink their blood he gets a rush more from the hunt than the kill its only a matter of time before he develops a taste for the most dangerous prey of all HUMANS

getlynched47
03-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Neither of these 2 things have held Matt Leinert back........oh wait :doh:

KCL
03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
yeah thats what he does he drives around denver at night (after he gets blazing drunk) looking for pets he can steal and kill and drink their blood he gets a rush more from the hunt than the kill its only a matter of time before he develops a taste for the most dangerous prey of all HUMANS

Is this where McDaniels enters the picture....:eek:

*Atwater*
03-27-2009, 12:14 PM

I would not want to get anywhere near Cutler when he starts that.

http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/animalmakesafe/rabiddog.jpg

:eek:

Cugel
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Also reported:

Holy Crap! He killed your dog? I'm so sorry to hear that! :eek:

I could forgive the adrenochrome addiction because it makes "my heart feel like an alligator" according to Hunter S. Thompson. That could be useful in games.

But, they REALLY need to ship Cutler out now! He's now a dog killer!

I totally believe this source, because I read it on the internet. :coffee:

tubby
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Completely valid, based on what besides someone stating it on her blog?

Stop being so naive.

Northman
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Actually, that was a setup. Griese actually killed his dog.

jrelway
03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
yea i heard cutler also snorts cocaine before his morning jogs to amp him up. i also hear he pops a X pill during team meetings then drinks OJ when meetings over.

weazel
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I heard it was a mountina-man looking dude with #16 on his back that got him started in the whole thing. Just saying...

Northman
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
this is old, and was on a local denver fox station writer's blog. She has since deleted some of it. its rubbish

Here is more from Montrose on it. I guess someone else mentioned it had been taken down and then re-upped.

ADDITIONAL NOTE

A portion of what was written in the "Secrets Inside the Cutler Trade talks" blog was briefly removed by our web supervisors to review for additional clarity.

That portion has been resubmitted subsequent to this process.

It is important to note, this portion was not briefly removed out of doubt of the primary source's information.

It was put back up - http://community.kdvr.com/_Source-Se... D206?as=96399

(Again this was relayed to my ears, from their ears. The following is what was heard by my source in these trade whispers, not what FOX31 cites as definite facts about Cutler.)

Two things that kept coming up were concerns about Cutler's alcohol consumption (given his diabetes) and "that's he not that (football) sharp."

"That scared the crap out of McDaniels,” the source told me.

TXBRONC
03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Completely valid.

I don't know what world you live in but in the real world that's called third hand information and if it was so valid Tubby why would she expunge it from her blog? I'll you a big hint it's called slander and you can sued for it. So much for completely valid. :coffee:

TXBRONC
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Stop being so naive.

Look in the mirror lately?

tubby
03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Everything is bigger in TX, especially the idiots.

This chick Josina has a track record for being spot on. Do some research people.

CoachChaz
03-27-2009, 01:06 PM

This chick Josina has a track record for being spot on. Do some research people.

Whoa...hold on a sec.

LRtagger
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM
http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jay_cutler_drunk_1-copy-400x275.jpg

LRtagger
03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jay_cutler-400x298.jpg

girler
03-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Wow. Tubby said a nice thing about a female. It must be true. :eek:

Cugel
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't know what world you live in but in the real world that's called third hand information and if it was so valid Tubby why would she expunge it from her blog? I'll you a big hint it's called slander and you can sued for it. So much for completely valid. :coffee:

Actually WRITTEN slander is called "libel." Slander is defaming speech. Libel is written defamation. Make sure to remember that or you'll be sure to fail your torts exam, er, or something. . . .

Cugel
03-27-2009, 01:26 PM
"I never talked to them," said McDaniels. "There were a few teams that had conversations in those two days. The Patriots had to be involved in them."

This is called LYING BY OMISSION.

See, McDaniels has said elsewhere in another interview "Brian [Xanders] has had conversations, I haven't talked to anybody."

The implication (a flat lie) is that he never even talked to the Patriots, so there couldn't have been a deal. But, that doesn't mean that Brian Xanders didn't.

In fact of course the GM would normally be the one to handle those direct negotiations (even Mike Shanahan let GM Ted Sundquist do the actual talking, although he called all the shots behind the scenes. Mike would normally not be calling around the league on trades, he'd let Ted do that).

Same thing here. Xanders was the one who talked to the Pats.

This is an example of why Cutler doesn't trust McDaniels. He makes the most obvious lies and expects people to believe him.

Now imagine you're Jay and you're reading all this crap in the papers. You see constant lies and spin put out by McDaniels designed to make himself look good and shift the blame to Cutler.

The really stupid part is that it won't make the slightest difference! Nobody really cares if it was all "Cutler's fault" or "McDaniels' fault."

The NFL is a bottom line business. Win. Or else.

McDaniels won't get ONE more game as head coach because it was "all Jay's fault" that he lost his pro-bowl QB and wound up with Chris Simms as his starter and the team lost 20-22 games over the next 2 seasons.

He's still going to be FIRED! :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
No he won't.

BroncoJoe
03-27-2009, 01:35 PM

See, McDaniels has said elsewhere in another interview "Brian [Xanders] has had conversations, I haven't talked to anybody."

The implication (a flat lie) is that he never even talked to the Patriots, so there couldn't have been a deal. But, that doesn't mean that Brian Xanders didn't.

In fact of course the GM would normally be the one to handle those direct negotiations (even Mike Shanahan let GM Ted Sundquist do the actual talking, although he called all the shots behind the scenes. Mike would normally not be calling around the league on trades, he'd let Ted do that).

Same thing here. Xanders was the one who talked to the Pats.

This is an example of why Cutler doesn't trust McDaniels. He makes the most obvious lies and expects people to believe him.

Now imagine you're Jay and you're reading all this crap in the papers. You see constant lies and spin put out by McDaniels designed to make himself look good and shift the blame to Cutler.

The really stupid part is that it won't make the slightest difference! Nobody really cares if it was all "Cutler's fault" or "McDaniels' fault."

McDaniels won't get ONE more game as head coach because it was "all Jay's fault" that he lost his pro-bowl QB and wound up with Chris Simms as his starter and the team lost 20-22 games over the next 2 seasons.

All assumptions on your part.

And we all know what assume means...

Requiem / The Dagda
03-27-2009, 01:35 PM
No Joe we don't. Tell us again!

BroncoJoe
03-27-2009, 01:36 PM
No Joe we don't. Tell us again!

ASS out of U and ME.

Or, in this case, ass out of yourself.

Assurself?

DallasChief
03-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Exhibit A: D effing C

post reported.

click

BroncoJoe
03-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Trouble in Vegas?

hotcarl
03-27-2009, 01:50 PM

I prefer to refer to him as McNugget or McDangle please update hotcarl.txt

KCL
03-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I prefer to refer to him as McNugget or McDangle please update hotcarl.txt

Sorry hotcarl...there are so many names for him...I'll just stick with McDaniels.
Besides I have nothing against him.

BroncoTech
03-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey maybe Jay can get an endorsement deal out of Coors out of all this. He sure played like he was drinking beer out of the Gatoraid cups the last 3 games last year.

bcbronc
03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jay_cutler_drunk_1-copy-400x275.jpg

apple juice, big deal.

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jay_cutler-400x298.jpg

insulin shock from drinking apple juice, big deal.

nothing to see here folks, move along.

bud
03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Is John Mobley still getting a free pass on this issue?.. The guy was a drunk.

I remember a certain Broncos fan telling me that Mobley was the best linebacker in the AFC in 1997 (Mobley's best year as a professional).

You be the judge, fanboys.

1997 AFC
John Mobley 96 tackles / 4 sacks / 1 int
Ray Lewis 156 tackles / 4 sacks / 1 int

Oops. Guess not.

Watchthemiddle
03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Is John Mobley still getting a free pass on this issue?.. The guy was a drunk.

I remember a certain Broncos fan telling me that Mobley was the best linebacker in the AFC in 1997 (Mobley's best year as a professional).

You be the judge, fanboys.

1997 AFC
John Mobley 96 tackles / 4 sacks / 1 int
Ray Lewis 156 tackles / 4 sacks / 1 int

Oops. Guess not.

Your talking about a linebacker from 1997......nice credibility.

All I know is Cutler was arrested while in college for disorderly conduct, resisting arrest....WHAT??...and underage drinking.

You be the judge

bud
03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Your talking about a linebacker from 1997......nice credibility.

All I know is Cutler was arrested while in college for disorderly conduct, resisting arrest....WHAT??...and underage drinking.

You be the judge

And, many of the same people that post here defended Mobley.

Nice credibility indeed.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
This just in: A single, 25 year old starting QB of the local professional football team likes to party....... In an unrelated story: The United States has landed on the moon.......

EMB6903
03-27-2009, 07:28 PM
that dude looks ****** up though, I hope hes taking care of himself.... we havent heard of things like him Brandon Marshall and Schefler are working out together in the off season like last year.. I really hope hes keeping in shape

silkamilkamonico
03-27-2009, 07:31 PM
apple juice, big deal.

insulin shock from drinking apple juice, big deal.

nothing to see here folks, move along.

I like your assumption that we have an idiot for a QB. That must be the part about "mental acumen" coming into play.

silkamilkamonico
03-27-2009, 07:36 PM

Wasn't it Xanders that said no to the Cutler trade?

"Yea we wanna trade Cutler......NOT!"

If Bowlen expected a head coach to actually win immediately with the garbage team that Shanahan assembled, he wouldn't have hired a 32 year old OC.

Besides, if McDaniels can turn Matt Cassel into a borderline Pro Bowl QB, Simms could become the next big thing in the NFL.

hotcarl
03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Besides, if McDaniels can turn Matt Cassel into a borderline Pro Bowl QB, Simms could become the next big thing in the NFL.

nice credibility :rolleyes:

KCL
03-27-2009, 07:40 PM
nice credibility :rolleyes:

hotcarl...you have beautiful eyes.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Wasn't it Xanders that said no to the Cutler trade?

"Yea we wanna trade Cutler......NOT!"

If Bowlen expected a head coach to actually win immediately with the garbage team that Shanahan assembled, he wouldn't have hired a 32 year old OC.

If Bowlen thought that somebody other than a 32 year old OC could win immediately with the garbage team that Shanahan assembled, then he shouldn't have hired a 32 year old OC.

And if he didn't expect a HC to actually win immediately than he should have never fired Shanahan.......say what you want about that garbage team, but Shanahan had the offense set up for next decade.

Doogie's job was simple, fix the defense, now he's he made it harder than it had to be.......

Hobe
03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
BS

The stupidity surrounding the reporting of the this situation has reached an all time low. People are writing and saying shit for the sake of writing and saying shit. We will need Dr. Ballard and the Woodhole Institute to get equipment to get low enough to see the reporting on this!

Watchthemiddle
03-27-2009, 09:41 PM
And, many of the same people that post here defended Mobley.

Nice credibility indeed.

Ha ha...no one that post's here defended Mobley....this place didn't exist 11 years ago.

:duh:

Your reaching indeed.

bud
03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Ha ha...no one that post's here defended Mobley....this place didn't exist 11 years ago.

:duh:

Your reaching indeed.

The member list has plenty of familiar names. Don't kid yourself.

Superchop 7
03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
McDaniels wanted "his" guy.........end of story.

Ever notice how the drama-kid handles his business ?

Implies that Jay isn't man-enough to meet with him one-on-one.

Says to his colleagues, he's a drunk.

Says to his colleagues, he is an idiot.

What are people thinking ?

Why sit one-on-one across from a liar?

Having a beer is not the end of the world, ask John Elway.

As for intelligence, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I DO NOT TRUST THIS KID AT ALL.

MOtorboat
03-27-2009, 10:41 PM

Implies, huh?

Then how come he won't meet with him one on one in real life?

hotcarl
03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
McDaniels wanted "his" guy.........end of story.

Says to his colleagues, he's a drunk.

Says to his colleagues, he is an idiot.

What are people thinking ?

Why sit one-on-one across from a liar?

Having a beer is not the end of the world, ask John Elway.

As for intelligence, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I DO NOT TRUST THIS KID AT ALL.

did

not

read

one

single

word

tldr thanks for your time :welcome:

EMB6903
03-27-2009, 11:43 PM
^^^^91 posts from dude and Im pretty sure not 1 of them is football related.
(atleast since ive been here)
what a life when you spend time on a football forum to discuss other things.

He can post one hell of a welcome sign though....

" :welcome: "

sneakers
03-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Don't most 25 year olds have alcohol problems?

Also, wasn't Jay spotted surrounded by hookers at a coke party a few years back?

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/jaycutler_southpark.jpg