PDA

View Full Version : Woodys Take On McMuffin

WARHORSE
03-27-2009, 04:18 AM
With Josh McDaniels actively trying to destroy the Broncos in an effort to create the Patriots West, is there any hope that this can end with the Broncos not looking like the Raiders East?
-- Travis Crawford, Pullman, Wash.

Travis - I don't want the Broncos to be Patriots West, Raiders East, Cowboys North or the Saskatchewan Roughriders South. They must be THE Denver Broncos, like THE Ohio State University. For a 15-year period in the 1980s and '90s, the Broncos were among the three or four premier teams in all of the NFL. There were five Super Bowls, two Super Bowl victories, 14 victories once, 13 twice, 12 a couple of times, in the playoffs 10 times -- under three coaches -- and, if I remember, only two losing seasons with Dan Reeves, Wade Phillips and Mike Shanahan.

That's what I want -- a team that wins 10 or 11 games minimum, goes to the playoffs annually, occasionally plays and wins in the Super Bowl. What was the major driving force in the '80s and '90s? Elway, of course. And I think Jay Cutler should be given the chance to at least accomplish some of those things here.

Truthfully, there was some stuff about John that was not written about, but the world has since changed. Although John was scrutinized like no one else Denver history -- mayors and governors included -- it's gotten even tougher today. And Cutler has to live in John's town.

Everything about him -- from his diabetes to his haircut to his behavior on the golf course to his decision not to live here in the offseason (which is a mistake) -- is questioned. He is not John
Elway.

But this is not New England, and Josh McDaniels hasn't figured that out yet. He was never -- I mean, never -- personally criticized with the Patriots. He was considered Bill Belichick's shoeshine boy, and he wasn't allowed to talk to the media or to you in Pullman, Wash.

And the attitude in New England was different. Despite what those people thought, the media and the fans were pretty easy on the Pats, because they were winning and because the people and the press didn't want to rock the boat.

McDaniels, I believe, thought he could come into Denver and overwhelm everybody by being like Belichick. This is not New England. This is Denver. It's different here. We don't bow down to every coach and every player. McDaniels should be as closely scrutinized as Cutler.

I told McDaniels after he got here I had examined a tape of his press conference at the Super Bowl two years ago (assistants were forced to talk before that game), and I thought he had come a long way since then with his demeanor and his speech.

Back then he said "uh" in every sentence and didn't quite know how to say what he wanted. McDaniels told me he had worked with his agent and on himself to become a better public speaker and have a stronger presence. Well, guess what?

When I watched McDaniels' interview this week with the NFL Network (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11978718), he was back to being the way he was two years ago. He was uncertain, unclear, and he didn't look at the camera, and his answers were vague and ambiguous.

He danced through the whole thing and didn't act or talk like a leader of men. I'm quite certain he knows he screwed up, but doesn't want to admit it. He wants to be Bill Belichick. He's not. And we're not a bunch of lemmings here that he can just get to follow him blindly.

Just get it done, and let us move onto the draft. But, trust me, if they trade Cutler and win 15 games total in the next three years, McDaniels will be gone and forgotten, but never forgiven. He'll be in a Pullman car on the way to Pullman.

JKcatch724
03-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Before we make assumptions, let's just let the guy show what he can do with or without Cutler shall we?

fcspikeit
03-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Woody sure isn't cutting McKid any slack :lol:

McKid might want to rethink his stance on talking to the Denver media.. Rather he likes it or not, these articles help form peoples opinion of him. Obviously people can't get first hand knowledge, the only thing left is to read other peoples spoken word on what is going on.

If the media feels alienated by him, they wont do him any favors. He might not think he needs them on his side but when you consider the affect they can have on the public's opinion of you, it would be smart to try and make some friends..

Dreadnought
03-27-2009, 05:36 AM

McKid might want to rethink his stance on talking to the Denver media.. Rather he likes it or not, these articles help form peoples opinion of him. Obviously people can't get first hand knowledge, the only thing left is to read other peoples spoken word on what is going on.

If the media feels alienated by him, they wont do him any favors. He might not think he needs them on his side but when you consider the affect they can have on the public's opinion of you, it would be smart to try and make some friends..

Whats that old saying? Never pick a fight with guys who buy ink by the barrel or some such?

hotcarl
03-27-2009, 09:00 AM
you know whats really gay?

all these "mcmuffin" "mckid" cutesy pie nicknames everyone thinks are so clever.

:welcome:

nevcraw
03-27-2009, 09:05 AM

all these "mcmuffin" "mckid" cutesy pie nicknames everyone thinks are so clever.

This coming from someone who gave himself the moniker "hotcarl"... :confused:

tomjonesrocks
03-27-2009, 09:26 AM
My opinion of Woody has gone up quite a bit since this mess began. Have enjoyed and agreed with many of his articles on this subject.

weazel
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
McMuffin, hahahahahaha, oh man that is funny. LOL I cant believe you did that! holy is that hilarious, how you took the first two letters of his name and jsut added another name to it. Oh my God, that is genius! Man I cant stop laughing, its just so damn funny!!!!

man this site has become pretty sad.

omac
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Good article, WARHORSE! :salute:

Woody's always colorful, but he makes a lot of good points here.

hotcarl
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
This coming from someone who gave himself the moniker "hotcarl"... :confused:

whatever, "nevcraw"

WARHORSE
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks for being on patrol McGayPolice.

Love your name................. officer HOTcarl.:coffee:

getlynched47
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM

McDipShit, McD-Bag, McDumbass, McFail, McIdiot :coffee:

WARHORSE
McMuffin, hahahahahaha, oh man that is funny. LOL I cant believe you did that! holy is that hilarious, how you took the first two letters of his name and jsut added another name to it. Oh my God, that is genius! Man I cant stop laughing, its just so damn funny!!!!

Yep.... its amazing what amuses some.

Good thing we got you here.

weazel
Thanks for being on patrol McGayPolice.

Love your name.................hotcarl.:coffee:

WH, I dont think he was attacking you personally, nor was I. We were just poking fun at how everyone is doing it. No disrespect meant by it.

BroncoWave
03-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Agreed. It just makes those people look idiotic and leads me not to take anything they post seriously.

WARHORSE
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
WH, I dont think he was attacking you personally, nor was I. We were just poking fun at how everyone is doing it. No disrespect meant by it.

Intention doesnt always reflect a written comment.

The board is just sad as you said..............my bad.

WARHORSE
03-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Agreed. It just makes those people look idiotic and leads me not to take anything they post seriously.

McThanks.

Thnikkaman
03-27-2009, 11:23 AM
War, I suggest you not under estimate HotCarl.

I appreciate your passion as a fan of The Denver Broncos, but you are acting about as mature as Dream, West, and King87 combined.

Woody wrote a great opinion piece that has some good facts. Lets see what McDaniels can do with a team first.

omac
03-27-2009, 05:54 PM

I appreciate your passion as a fan of The Denver Broncos, but you are acting about as mature as Dream, West, and King87 combined.

Woody wrote a great opinion piece that has some good facts. Lets see what McDaniels can do with a team first.

WARHORSE is acting fine. He can take shots at McDaniels the same way other fans take shots at Cutler, Shanahan, Bell, or whoever they want. At least he's not pretending to be objective while taking sides. He's no hypocrite.

King87's okay too. He just has opposing views, being as he's a fan of another team. Doesn't make all his views necessarily wrong.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2009, 07:31 PM

I know, right? :rolleyes:.......

tomjonesrocks
03-28-2009, 09:52 AM

I'm not big on the "mc" names either, but they're funnier than that piece of shit avatar you're rocking.

WARHORSE
03-28-2009, 12:05 PM

Under estimate HotCarl in what?

HotCarl is 98% bs posts, 2 % Broncos.......always has been.

As for maturity we are all at each others scrutiny, and frankly Im mature enough to speak my mind, regardless of what anyone here thinks, or decides, Id just as soon take it in the backyard and kick someones rear, (or get mine kicked) and shake hands afterwards.

Sometimes that helps more than maturity ever will and hell, I know how to live with that.............And it feels better than civil means ever will.

And Ive already seen what McDaniels has done with the team, give me a freakin break.

This isnt entirely his fault, as he is given a mulligan for being a first year headcoach, Bowlen is as much at fault as McSocial.

Thats right.................McSocial.

Kiss my butt all you clowns that dont like it.:coffee:

If you cant handle what I got to say or how I say it............McTough****.

Wheres the gaypolice when you need em?

weazel
03-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm not big on the "mc" names either, but they're funnier than that piece of shit avatar you're rocking.

coming from a tomjonesrocks nickname? I think I'll be able to sleep tonight, knowing you don't like the avatar.

horsepig
03-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Right on, FCS, I usually think you're nuts, but I agree on this one.

nevcraw
03-28-2009, 07:51 PM
whatever, "nevcraw"

Good one Dirty Sanchez!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hotcarl

Not sure this name should be tolerated on a family fan website.. we are very senstive about our names at the broncosforum. Please change your name to McHotcarl or refrain from judging others....

atwater27
03-28-2009, 08:25 PM

A crying little kid that is designed in an avatar to look like Jay Cutler, hahahahahaha, oh man that is funny. LOL I cant believe you did that! holy is that hilarious, How you took a little crying kid and added a broncos press conference background behind it. Oh my God, that is genius! Man I cant stop laughing, its just so damn funny!!!!:rolleyes:

Lonestar
03-28-2009, 08:52 PM
A crying little kid that is designed in an avatar to look like Jay Cutler, hahahahahaha, oh man that is funny. LOL I cant believe you did that! holy is that hilarious, How you took a little crying kid and added a broncos press conference background behind it. Oh my God, that is genius! Man I cant stop laughing, its just so damn funny!!!!:rolleyes:

I guess that is the state of most of the bronco fans sites right now..

lots of folks not knowing what is happening..

Of course I'd rather see some drama in the off season as it makes it go by a bit faster..

Frankly I do not remember much of last season as it went by so fast.. It was a total blur..

sneakers
03-28-2009, 11:29 PM
I'll get you McMuffin!!!!!!!!1

hotcarl
03-29-2009, 12:01 AM
I guess that is the state of most of the bronco fans sites right now..

lots of folks not knowing what is happening..

Of course I'd rather see some drama in the off season as it makes it go by a bit faster..

Frankly I do not remember much of last season as it went by so fast.. It was a total blur..

thanks for the update :rolleyes:

skycoyote
03-29-2009, 12:01 AM
His colors have flown as I had presumed. He's a pretender, and as I have said before, while Spag and Ryan were preparing football players for the playoffs, McDaniels was fine tuning his interview prep techniques. If he's such a good coach then why does he need a Belichick trained quarterback to come run his offense? Maybe he should just have Belichick come to Denver and run the team for him. My point is you have to be your own man not a puppet on a string, and that is where McDaniels fails. We are not Boston we're are the Denver Bronco's. This is what happens when you send a boy to do a man's job.

P.S. All I wanted for Christmas was a defense, an I got a lump of coal.

MOtorboat
03-29-2009, 12:03 AM
His colors have flown as I had presumed. He's a pretender, and as I have said before, while Spag and Ryan were preparing football players for the playoffs, McDaniels was fine tuning his interview prep techniques. If he's such a good coach then why does he need a Belichick trained quarterback to come run his offense? Maybe he should just have Belichick come to Denver and run the team for him. My point is you have to be your own man not a puppet on a string, and that is where McDaniels fails. We are not Boston we're are the Denver Bronco's. This is what happens when you send a boy to do a man's job.

P.S. All I wanted for Christmas was a defense, an I got a lump of coal.

For the record.

This post was posted more than five months before he coaches his first game.

Lonestar
03-29-2009, 12:40 AM
For the record.

This post was posted more than five months before he coaches his first game.

thanks I was about to say the same thing..

weazel
03-29-2009, 04:52 PM

you still trying to troll behind every post I make atwater27? Thought you had given up.

atwater27
03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
you still trying to troll behind every post I make atwater27? Thought you had given up, but true sociopaths never give up stalking.

Ooooh! The weazel speaks!

Someone here is a wee bit paranoid, you think? I just found it hilarious how you could cap on anybody making fun of Mcdouche's name yet have that avy there that only the most venomous bronco hating troll would even think of posting. Good job!

MOtorboat
03-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Ooooh! The drunk weazel speaks!

Someone here is a wee bit paranoid, you think?

So, do you have anything to add?

weazel
03-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Ooooh! The drunk weazel speaks!

Someone here is a wee bit paranoid, you think? I just found it hilarious how you could cap on anybody making fun of Mcdouche's name yet have that avy there that only the most venomous bronco hating troll would even think of posting. Good job!

still stalking me, troll? I sense a little man love from you. Sorry, I dont dig dudes... I'm not into your backdoor games.

I thought you stopped trying to follow me around arguing with everything I said, once I got you contradicting yourself. Your laughable. I'm bored with you, so say your last thing to me and I wont even reply, I'll let you think you grew a set.

atwater27
03-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I got all day weez. Bronco hating troll.

Lonestar
03-29-2009, 09:34 PM
OK folks lets get rid of the personal stuff and talk Broncos..

lets get

:focus:

WARHORSE
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM
With Josh McDaniels actively trying to destroy the Broncos in an effort to create the Patriots West, is there any hope that this can end with the Broncos not looking like the Raiders East?
-- Travis Crawford, Pullman, Wash.

Travis - I don't want the Broncos to be Patriots West, Raiders East, Cowboys North or the Saskatchewan Roughriders South. They must be THE Denver Broncos, like THE Ohio State University. For a 15-year period in the 1980s and '90s, the Broncos were among the three or four premier teams in all of the NFL. There were five Super Bowls, two Super Bowl victories, 14 victories once, 13 twice, 12 a couple of times, in the playoffs 10 times -- under three coaches -- and, if I remember, only two losing seasons with Dan Reeves, Wade Phillips and Mike Shanahan.

That's what I want -- a team that wins 10 or 11 games minimum, goes to the playoffs annually, occasionally plays and wins in the Super Bowl. What was the major driving force in the '80s and '90s? Elway, of course. And I think Jay Cutler should be given the chance to at least accomplish some of those things here.

Truthfully, there was some stuff about John that was not written about, but the world has since changed. Although John was scrutinized like no one else Denver history -- mayors and governors included -- it's gotten even tougher today. And Cutler has to live in John's town.

Everything about him -- from his diabetes to his haircut to his behavior on the golf course to his decision not to live here in the offseason (which is a mistake) -- is questioned. He is not John
Elway.

But this is not New England, and Josh McDaniels hasn't figured that out yet. He was never -- I mean, never -- personally criticized with the Patriots. He was considered Bill Belichick's shoeshine boy, and he wasn't allowed to talk to the media or to you in Pullman, Wash.

And the attitude in New England was different. Despite what those people thought, the media and the fans were pretty easy on the Pats, because they were winning and because the people and the press didn't want to rock the boat.

McDaniels, I believe, thought he could come into Denver and overwhelm everybody by being like Belichick. This is not New England. This is Denver. It's different here. We don't bow down to every coach and every player. McDaniels should be as closely scrutinized as Cutler.

I told McDaniels after he got here I had examined a tape of his press conference at the Super Bowl two years ago (assistants were forced to talk before that game), and I thought he had come a long way since then with his demeanor and his speech.

Back then he said "uh" in every sentence and didn't quite know how to say what he wanted. McDaniels told me he had worked with his agent and on himself to become a better public speaker and have a stronger presence. Well, guess what?

When I watched McDaniels' interview this week with the NFL Network (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11978718), he was back to being the way he was two years ago. He was uncertain, unclear, and he didn't look at the camera, and his answers were vague and ambiguous.

He danced through the whole thing and didn't act or talk like a leader of men. I'm quite certain he knows he screwed up, but doesn't want to admit it. He wants to be Bill Belichick. He's not. And we're not a bunch of lemmings here that he can just get to follow him blindly.

Just get it done, and let us move onto the draft. But, trust me, if they trade Cutler and win 15 games total in the next three years, McDaniels will be gone and forgotten, but never forgiven. He'll be in a Pullman car on the way to Pullman.

WARHORSE
03-29-2009, 11:33 PM
The bar is open and its happy hour.

Shazam!
03-30-2009, 12:31 AM
You really, really have too much time on your hands.

Lonestar
03-30-2009, 01:30 AM
merged..

Nature Boy
03-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Before we make assumptions, let's just let the guy show what he can do with or without Cutler shall we?

**** McMuffin!

That's about as far into this thread as I got. Been very busy.

hotcarl
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
**** McMuffin!

That's about as far into this thread as I got. Been very busy.

bronco hating troll

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12050260

Hey, Woody. I am a huge Bronco and Laker fan. I think Pat Bowlen should call Jerry Buss and talk to him about how he handled the Kobe Bryant situation last summer. Nobody panicked, and Kobe came back to work. Then things started getting better, and they were able to make him happy, and now they are both very happy with the situation! Just because somebody demands a trade doesn't mean he gets it. With more time, cooler heads can prevail!
-- Brandon, Arizona

Brandon - Bowlen obviously didn't call anybody for advice. And, sadly, we have reached, as The Phantom of the Opera sang, "The Point of No Return."

I have supported Jay Cutler throughout this ridiculous episode, maybe the worst in Broncos history (there was the mutiny by 12 players in John Ralston's last season). But I no longer can. When the owner of my newspaper or my television network calls, I return the call. Cutler chose not to.

Bowlen never should have let the situation reach this point, of no return, and Josh McDaniels doesn't have a clue of how to handle a delicate player problem. But Jay had to respond to his owner. He didn't. End of story.

The Broncos are left with no choice, except if the owner and the coach and the general manager, whatshisname, were to leave themselves. It's men being idiots, comparing the sizes of their egos. It's why we have wars, fights, conflicts in companies, road rage in which men flash obscene signs and want to run the other guy off the road.

I am sad. The Broncos lose a young man who will be one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and Cutler will someday realize he made a horrific error. John Elway once said he wouldn't finish his career in Denver (because of Dan Reeves). He backed off; Reeves was fired, and the Broncos won two Super Bowls, and I can guarantee you Elway is glad he finished here. He is a Hall of Famer and among the best five quarterbacks ever to play the game. If he had gone to Washington, he would have won zero Super Bowls and might not have been in the Hall of Fame. And if the Broncos had traded him, they wouldn't have two Super Bowl championships, and the franchise would have floundered; there wouldn't be a new stadium, and they would have been just as they are now.

nthngd2say
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I also found it relevant with all of Woody's support for Cutler that he also offered the following from the same article:
"I have supported Jay Cutler throughout this ridiculous episode, maybe the worst in Broncos history (there was the mutiny by 12 players in John Ralston's last season). But I no longer can. When the owner of my newspaper or my television network calls, I return the call. Cutler chose not to."

BroncoJoe
04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
It funny how different people "highlight" different portions of articles.

nthngd2say
04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
I think both highlights are relevant but my point was that while many assign blame to the Broncos FO such as Woody, Stink, John Clayton, etc they all say not answering/returning calls/texts when the FO is trying to contact Cutler and especially when a request is given to Cook for Cutler to call Bowlen that day and he ignores it that they can't support him on that course of action. Let alone requesting a trade and then stating that he didn't want to be traded.