PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Next Step

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8915

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In 2008, Wesley Woodyard went from undrafted free agent to special teams ace to defensive playmaker in one season. That's a lot for a rookie to take in, but Woodyard handled it like an old pro.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker started six games last season, posting three double-digit tackle games including a career-high 13 and a forced fumble against the New York Jets.

"I love the game of football -- any time I am on the field I am going to try and give it my hardest," he said at the time.

He took over the starting duties when defensive captain D.J. Williams missed time with an injury. His speed, athleticism and excitement on the field quickly made him a favorite of teammates, coaches and fans.

Going into his sophomore season, Woodyard said he hopes his game will only continue to improve.

"I'm still in the same position -- I've got to prove myself and continue to do everything I did last year," he said. "I've got to continue to get better every day at practice and every day in the weight room."

Woodyard's continued growth will be a big part of the defense's turnaround in 2009, and a new addition to the Orange and Blue could help with that process.

Andra Davis, who comes to the Broncos in 2009 after being a defensive captain in Cleveland, brings another versatile weapon to the Denver linebacker corps. His locker sits adjacent to Woodyard's, and the eighth-year linebacker has already been impressed with the second-year linebacker's work-ethic.

"Wesley's a very athletic guy," Davis said. "He has unlimited potential -- I think he can definitely grow into being one of the best linebackers in this league. He's very humble and he works hard, so he's got what it takes."

Woodyard said Davis started sitting him down right away when he arrived, watching video together, going over the plays and just discussing how to dominate in the NFL.

"Any time you've got a leader like him on the team, that's always good for the defense," Woodyard said.

The two have bonded quickly -- Woodyard, the young player still hungry to learn and get better, and Davis, the veteran wise to the ways of the league. Part of the reason might be they're both SEC guys. Davis, a former Florida Gator, said he used to beat up on Woodyard's Kentucky Gators, but he says it with a laugh and the mutual respect is immediately evident.

"He's humble, he's a good dude and he works hard," Davis said. But most importantly -- "He's willing to listen."

"A lot of guys are not willing to listen, they think just because they play a little bit they've got everything figured out," Davis said. "But he's been listening to every little thing and piece of advice I give him. It makes it easy to want to help."

The success of Woodyard and the addition of players like Davis and defensive lineman/linebacker Darrell Reid, who won a Super Bowl in Indianapolis, can only help the depth of a linebacker corps that many expect big things from in 2009.

"We've got great starters and even the backups -- if somebody goes down, we want to make sure we don't miss a beat," Woodyard said. "We've got a competitive group this year, and we're going to try to keep it that way."

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
thanks to you Carol for this.

it is time to get off the jay wagon..

getlynched47
03-26-2009, 07:41 PM

WHY would you bring up Jay Cutler here!! :rolleyes:

:tsk:

-------------------------------------------

Regarding the article, I really like Woodyard. He's a great player and I look forward to seeing him on the field this coming season :salute:

UnderArmour
03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

It will be interesting to see how Woodyard adapts to ILB. When I look at our linebacking corps, I just see this huge question mark. Who exactly is going to play where?

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 07:51 PM

It will be interesting to see how Woodyard adapts to ILB. When I look at our linebacking corps, I just see this huge question mark. Who exactly is going to play where?

I do not see him making it in a 3-4 defense he is simply to small for MLB/ILB..

I hope he makes the team but I think he is more suited for SS ..

I have like him since the combine last year was shocked that he was not drafted and really happy he was signed as a UDFA

EMB6903
03-26-2009, 08:00 PM

I have like him since the combine last year was shocked that he was not drafted and really happy he was signed as a UDFA

I agree that he is very small for your average inside linebacker in a 3-4 but Im not sure if that will affect his play

I think Woodyard is just one of those guys that if you stick him on the field regardless what scheme their in they are going to make an impact...take out all of his measurables.. kids just a great FOOTBALL PLAYER

Denver Native (Carol)

:confused: Not sure if you are referring to me, or to whoever in general, but I will continue to post what I feel is appropriate.

Denver27og
so are we keeping boss bailey? and we have DJ, boss, davis and welsey.. doesnt sound too bad.. im sure they could all be monsters if we had a decent Dline

underrated29
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM

Booo...

getlynched47
03-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree that he is very small for your average inside linebacker in a 3-4 but Im not sure if that will affect his play

I think Woodyard is just one of those guys that if you stick him on the field regardless what scheme their in they are going to make an impact...take out all of his measurables.. kids just a great FOOTBALL PLAYER

If we use the hybrid 4-3/3-4 that McDipShit keeps talking about, Woodyard should see the field often.

I wouldnt be surprised if he's off the field in the 3-4 base package with DJ, Davis, Dumervil (potentially), and Reid (potentially) but coming on the field in the 4-3 with DJ shifting to Middle Linebacker (again) and Woodyard playing the WLB.

Also he is a perfect Nickel Linebacker because he can cover runningbacks and sometimes tightends.

He'll have his fair share of playing time :salute:

Shazam!
03-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Aside from the fiasco that will remain nameless, I think overall it has been a good offseason transition and FA period. I like what I hear from the Coach and the players. I hope the Draft goes well to complete the triumverate.

Denver27og
03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Aside from the fiasco that will remain nameless, I think overall it has been a good offseason transition and FA period. I like what I hear from the Coach and the players. I hope the Draft goes well to complete the triumverate.

yessirrrrrr

Denver27og
03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
can anyone post a make shift starting lineup for our defense?

honz
03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
I think JR was trying to say it's nice to read an article about the team that doesn't have to do with McJaygate. The draft can't come soon enough.

TXBRONC
03-26-2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8915

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In 2008, Wesley Woodyard went from undrafted free agent to special teams ace to defensive playmaker in one season. That's a lot for a rookie to take in, but Woodyard handled it like an old pro.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker started six games last season, posting three double-digit tackle games including a career-high 13 and a forced fumble against the New York Jets.

"I love the game of football -- any time I am on the field I am going to try and give it my hardest," he said at the time.

He took over the starting duties when defensive captain D.J. Williams missed time with an injury. His speed, athleticism and excitement on the field quickly made him a favorite of teammates, coaches and fans.

Going into his sophomore season, Woodyard said he hopes his game will only continue to improve.

"I'm still in the same position -- I've got to prove myself and continue to do everything I did last year," he said. "I've got to continue to get better every day at practice and every day in the weight room."

Woodyard's continued growth will be a big part of the defense's turnaround in 2009, and a new addition to the Orange and Blue could help with that process.

Andra Davis, who comes to the Broncos in 2009 after being a defensive captain in Cleveland, brings another versatile weapon to the Denver linebacker corps. His locker sits adjacent to Woodyard's, and the eighth-year linebacker has already been impressed with the second-year linebacker's work-ethic.

"Wesley's a very athletic guy," Davis said. "He has unlimited potential -- I think he can definitely grow into being one of the best linebackers in this league. He's very humble and he works hard, so he's got what it takes."

Woodyard said Davis started sitting him down right away when he arrived, watching video together, going over the plays and just discussing how to dominate in the NFL.

"Any time you've got a leader like him on the team, that's always good for the defense," Woodyard said.

The two have bonded quickly -- Woodyard, the young player still hungry to learn and get better, and Davis, the veteran wise to the ways of the league. Part of the reason might be they're both SEC guys. Davis, a former Florida Gator, said he used to beat up on Woodyard's Kentucky Gators, but he says it with a laugh and the mutual respect is immediately evident.

"He's humble, he's a good dude and he works hard," Davis said. But most importantly -- "He's willing to listen."

"A lot of guys are not willing to listen, they think just because they play a little bit they've got everything figured out," Davis said. "But he's been listening to every little thing and piece of advice I give him. It makes it easy to want to help."

The success of Woodyard and the addition of players like Davis and defensive lineman/linebacker Darrell Reid, who won a Super Bowl in Indianapolis, can only help the depth of a linebacker corps that many expect big things from in 2009.

"We've got great starters and even the backups -- if somebody goes down, we want to make sure we don't miss a beat," Woodyard said. "We've got a competitive group this year, and we're going to try to keep it that way."

In my opinion the only way Woodyard could remain a linebacker in a 3-4 scheme is if he is used situationally because I don't think he has to size to hold up.

bullis26
03-26-2009, 10:53 PM

no i dont think he will play ss, he didnt play ss in college, and apparently he played a lil bit this year, i don t want a roy williams in our secondary......i think he still could be a 3-4 OLB...he is athletic enough....as of right now Moss, Larsen, DJ, Woodyard.....id be happy with that, but i wouldnt mind drafting another MLB, and a later rd OLB

BroncoWave
03-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I think JR was trying to say it's nice to read an article about the team that doesn't have to do with McJaygate. The draft can't come soon enough.

Agreed. I don't think that was meant as a shot to Carol.

turftoad
03-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Agreed. I don't think that was meant as a shot to Carol.

No it wasn't.

Everyone is tired of talking about the McD/Cutler thing. It is refreshing to talk about something positive.

Thanks Carol, good read.

WARHORSE
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
I hope Nolan finds a way to get him on the field.

Maybe he will end up being the defensive version of the undrafted Rod Smith.

I really like what Woodyard has to offer. I hope he puts on another 7 lbs of muscle.

scott.475
03-27-2009, 12:17 AM
I only have one question for our linebacking corps: are they working on their celebrations? Last year their middle of the field celebrations were often out of sync with each other, I would really like to see them get their timing more dialed in. :lol:

Good read on Wesley, wouldn't be the only undersized LB to ever make a name for himself.

BroncoWave
03-27-2009, 12:26 AM
I only have one question for our linebacking corps: are they working on their celebrations? Last year their middle of the field celebrations were often out of sync with each other, I would really like to see them get their timing more dialed in. :lol:

Good read on Wesley, wouldn't be the only undersized LB to ever make a name for himself.

Unfortunately, the losses of Webster and Winborn are really going to put a damper on our LB's celebrations. Those were 2 of the best in the league at it and that is going to be tough to replace! Hopefully the newbies can live up to the lofty standards left behind by those two! :lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I question Woodyard's 3-4 fit, but if he is able to put on some pounds (perhaps get up to 240) then I don't think it becomes an issue. Timmons and Foote (RILB) on the Steelers are right on that area and seem to be able to do well in their respective roles. The guy has the heart and desire to succeed in the NFL. His work ethic is good, and he has the instincts necessary to be successful in the NFL. He's a linebacker. That is where he will stay. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was one of the inside guys come starting day. You put the best players on the field, and if Woodyard is one of them -- well, then there you go.

Lonestar
03-27-2009, 12:50 AM

lets hope so but I worry about him getting eaten up inside he plays much better in space like he did last year..

I hope they see the desire and can find a spot to help the team.. We need another 8 guys like him all over achievers for this defense.. maybe the guy form Philly can teach him the finer arts of playing safety..

Lonestar
03-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I question Woodyard's 3-4 fit, but if he is able to put on some pounds (perhaps get up to 240) then I don't think it becomes an issue. Timmons and Foote (RILB) on the Steelers are right on that area and seem to be able to do well in their respective roles. The guy has the heart and desire to succeed in the NFL. His work ethic is good, and he has the instincts necessary to be successful in the NFL. He's a linebacker. That is where he will stay. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was one of the inside guys come starting day. You put the best players on the field, and if Woodyard is one of them -- well, then there you go.

I just do not see him that heavy.. He was IIRC 220 at the combine last year and got up to 230 going into camp but was quoted on one of the weekly shows saying he was playing at 212 in October or so...

I hope he can find a home somewhere, as he has "it"..

Simple Jaded
03-27-2009, 03:01 AM
The game is so much specialization today that they should have no problem finding a role for him, but in a pure 3-4 he has no position because of his size, imo.

I know he's got fans excited, but you have to at least concede the fact that if he is to be a starter he is best suited for WLB in a Tampa2.......God help us if Nolan is thinking of a 212lb Weak Inside LineBacker, he simply doesn't have the defensive lineman to keep him clean, teams are going to run right at him.

We don't even know what kind of 3-4 Nolan is going to use, my best guess is that Woodyard will see most of his playing time when they use the 4-3, though he's still tiny, and in nickle situations.......

fcspikeit
03-27-2009, 04:21 AM

That will only happen if people stop bringing him up in every thread, the first post no less.. ;)

fcspikeit
03-27-2009, 04:37 AM
Great read Carol, thanks for posting :salute:

I really like WW. I was surprised he went undrafted, he was the number one undrafted FA I wanted the team to sign.. I hope we can find a place for him on the field but he might be worth more to the team in trade? We could use the late round pick to take a long shot unproven player, then hope like hell he turns out to be as good as Woodyard :lol:

IMO just like Hillis, Woodyard was a real steal... I was impressed with almost everyone from our draft class last year.. Of course Woodyard wasn't even drafted, which makes the find even better.

Elevation inc
03-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Great read Carol, thanks for posting :salute:

I really like WW. I was surprised he went undrafted, he was the number one undrafted FA I wanted the team to sign.. I hope we can find a place for him on the field but he might be worth more to the team in trade? We could use the late round pick to take a long shot unproven player, then hope like hell he turns out to be as good as Woodyard :lol:

IMO just like Hillis, Woodyard was a real steal... I was impressed with almost everyone from our draft class last year.. Of course Woodyard wasn't even drafted, which makes the find even better.

we shouldnt need to trade woodyard, at the very least he is a special teams ace on a very cheap contract for awhile still. every team needs a guy like him. we have no rush to move, or trade him. with the new defense and guys like davis tutoring him...he can learn alot. he will provide some depth at ILB in the 3-4 but we are also running a hybrid next year, which makes me think he will be the WLB and DJ the mike in 4-3 looks......versatility is key, and woodyard has it. he will get playing time.....

your right.....he really was a great find.....

gobroncsnv
03-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Just wondering about the biggest news this article reports on... Kentucky fans will wonder when their team became the gators...

Dirk
03-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Just wondering about the biggest news this article reports on... Kentucky fans will wonder when their team became the gators...

:lol::lol:

Dirk
03-27-2009, 07:08 AM
:salute:I agree. I loved seeing WW on the field last year. I will take a player with that kind of heart and potential all the time. People like WW should be looked at by other young players as a guage on how to "want" to play in the NFL.

Thanks for the article Carol.

Lonestar
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
That will only happen if people stop bringing him up in every thread, the first post no less.. ;)

yet you had to respond to it also.. amazing.. better to let it drop..

fcspikeit
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
we shouldnt need to trade woodyard, at the very least he is a special teams ace on a very cheap contract for awhile still. every team needs a guy like him. we have no rush to move, or trade him. with the new defense and guys like davis tutoring him...he can learn alot. he will provide some depth at ILB in the 3-4 but we are also running a hybrid next year, which makes me think he will be the WLB and DJ the mike in 4-3 looks......versatility is key, and woodyard has it. he will get playing time.....

your right.....he really was a great find.....

I probably could have done a better job with the sarcasm...

IMO trading WW for a late pick would be stupid! I feel anytime you trade a proven player for picks you are taking a risk. The better the player the harder they are to replace and the more risky the trade becomes...

bcbronc
03-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Woodyard's listed at 6'1" 230lbs.

Donnie Edwards is listed at 6'2" 224lbs and he put up a 1000 tackle career playing in a 3-4. just sayin'.

get a man-bull like Rey Maul beside him to do the heavy lifting and there's no reason WW can't thrive in a 3-4. Give him a couple years rocking the STs and backing up DJ, and then when it becomes more cost effective to move DJ reevaluate the situation. This gives 1-2 years to get a decent line in front of him too.

Lonestar
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Woodyard's listed at 6'1" 230lbs.

Donnie Edwards is listed at 6'2" 224lbs and he put up a 1000 tackle career playing in a 3-4. just sayin'.

get a man-bull like Rey Maul beside him to do the heavy lifting and there's no reason WW can't thrive in a 3-4. Give him a couple years rocking the STs and backing up DJ, and then when it becomes more cost effective to move DJ reevaluate the situation. This gives 1-2 years to get a decent line in front of him too.

and many players are creative with the sizes and weights..

He was quoted last year in late OCT or early Nov in one of the local TV players shows as saying he was currently playing at 212.. IIRC at the combine he was at 220 and came to camp at 230..