PDA

View Full Version : Do we take a WR somewhere in the draft?

weazel
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
I know everyone is in love with Marshall, but it's hard to rely on a #1 receiver that may not play 3 to 6 games a season due to disciplinary actions. He'll probably get at least 3 games this season, so thats two seasons in a row the Broncos will be missing him.

Add in the fact that he had a lot of drops last season and he confessed that his hand is still numb from the foolish wrestling incident.

I just don't see this guy cleaning up his act. He has a very volatile relationship with his fiancee, and those never get better so it will not change. I just don't see him being a reliable player.

Im not saying he should be traded or released of course. I'm just saying I wouldnt put all my eggs in one basket...

roomemp
03-25-2009, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a WR somewhere in the mid rounds. I could see us using a 4th or a 5th on a guy. I agree with you on Marshall. If its anybody we should be thinking about trading, its Marshall. We could probably still get good value for him. Maybe a mid second or a 3rd. I just do not see us giving him the contract he is going to want. I say ship the guy to a team starving for a WR. Philly maybe???? Problem is he will miss the first couple of games next year so we would not receive in compensation what he is really worth.

UnderArmour
03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
We just give Marshall this year then tag him if we want him next year. If he cleans up his act, we can then re-sign him.

gobroncsnv
03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Just wish he had the attitude Fitz does. what a combo, Uncoverable, and impeccable. (and if ya notice, BMarsh is my adoptee!)

C'mon, Brandon, TURN IT AROUND!!!

shank
03-25-2009, 08:18 PM
in a very optimistic view (not my usual forte) all of these off-field issues of marshall's may give us a lot more leverage when contract talks do start happening. they will give us reasoning to perhaps pay him less, or at the very least make it incentive or playing-time based. maybe he eventually WILL clean up his act, and we'll get a bargain out of the whole thing.

with gaffney here, i don't think we NEED another WR in the draft, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we take one.

bullis26
03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
i think draft Patrick Turner in like the 5th rd
That WR from Cal-Poly would be good but i think he'll go in the third (ramses or something)
watched him play a game in person boy can he come down with that ball and he's 6"6

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Marshall has been very good since his first meeting with Goodell. He's being doing all the charity stuff, all the anti-gang stuff in Denver, etc.

I'm not going to play doctor here, but when a person constantly chooses partners that end up being abusive, that person usually needs couseling to fix that.

WARHORSE
03-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I know everyone is in love with Marshall, but it's hard to rely on a #1 receiver that may not play 3 to 6 games a season due to disciplinary actions. He'll probably get at least 3 games this season, so thats two seasons in a row the Broncos will be missing him.

Add in the fact that he had a lot of drops last season and he confessed that his hand is still numb from the foolish wrestling incident.

I just don't see this guy cleaning up his act. He has a very volatile relationship with his fiancee, and those never get better so it will not change. I just don't see him being a reliable player.

Im not saying he should be traded or released of course. I'm just saying I wouldnt put all my eggs in one basket...

Taking a WR is cool if we get value.

But honestly, Id take about four defensive linemen somewhere in the draft. Everything else is gravy imo.

dogfish
03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
probably percy harvin at #12. . . . :doh:

bullis26
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
probably percy harvin at #12. . . . :doh:

:banghead:

NameUsedBefore
03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
As long as it's not in the first round (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=535251&postcount=2), I'm good.

ikillz0mbies
03-25-2009, 09:04 PM
i think draft Patrick Turner in like the 5th rd
That WR from Cal-Poly would be good but i think he'll go in the third (ramses or something)
watched him play a game in person boy can he come down with that ball and he's 6"6

Ramses Barden is my favorite receiver in this draft. He has great size at 6'6" 228 lbs and has the best hands out of any receiver in this draft. He is a steal and if the Broncos do draft a receiver, I hope it is Barden.

MOtorboat
03-25-2009, 09:08 PM
We have to. Dumbass might be suspended, and McDaniels is probably going to run 5 receivers out there repeatedly.

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
We have to. Dumbass might be suspended, and McDaniels is probably going to run 5 receivers out there repeatedly.

Mike Furrey

MOtorboat
03-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Mike Furrey

Other than the fact that he helped propel an 0-16 team...

Yeah...I'm on board.

slim
03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Marshall has been very good since his first meeting with Goodell. He's being doing all the charity stuff, all the anti-gang stuff in Denver, etc.

I'm not going to play doctor here, but when a person constantly chooses partners that end up being abusive, that person usually needs couseling to fix that.

What?

MOtorboat
03-25-2009, 09:20 PM
What?

Let me clarify.

Marshall isn't very smart. Football skillz? Yes sir. Life skillz? Probably not.

dogfish
03-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Yeah...I'm on board.

calvin johnson helped "propel" that 0-16 team also-- would you be on board if we could get him?

furrey had 90+ catches two years ago, he'd be a solid pickup if the price was right. . . .

MOtorboat
03-25-2009, 09:23 PM
calvin johnson helped "propel" that 0-16 team also-- would you be on board if we could get him?

furrey had 90+ catches two years ago, he'd be a solid pickup if the price was right. . . .

Though the comment was made in jest...I'd be leery of Lions free agents...five years 198 catches...injured a lot...not exactly what I'd call reliable.

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Yeah...I'm on board.

it was sarcasm, but whatever :lol:

TXBRONC
03-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a WR somewhere in the mid rounds. I could see us using a 4th or a 5th on a guy. I agree with you on Marshall. If its anybody we should be thinking about trading, its Marshall. We could probably still get good value for him. Maybe a mid second or a 3rd. I just do not see us giving him the contract he is going to want. I say ship the guy to a team starving for a WR. Philly maybe???? Problem is he will miss the first couple of games next year so we would not receive in compensation what he is really worth.

I was thinking the same thing somewhere in the mid rounds might be a place to draft a wide receiver.

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 09:30 PM
What?

Its a mental thing. Like I said I'm not a doctor and I'm in no way qualified to give advice. I'm just going from stuff I've learned. People who tend to choose abusive partners typically have abuse history in child hood, whether it be from parents, uncles, aunts, etc. Abuse is traumatic to a child and leaves a "stamp" in a childs developing brain. When the person reaches a certain age, aka puberty, the part of the brain that got "stamped" does not function correctly, and nearly anybody who Marshall is extremely attracted to will also share the same abuse history as he does.

Two abuse survivors = abuse towards eachother. But since that "stamp" is still in the brain, the person can not live without that abuse. That's why many people tend to stay in abusive relationships longer than they should.

Counseling fixes this.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 09:34 PM

yep until he was arrested for the same crap pushing his girl friend around in ATL.. a few days after the pro bowl..

Think he needs to be castrated..

dogfish
03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Though the comment was made in jest...I'd be leery of Lions free agents...five years 198 catches...injured a lot...not exactly what I'd call reliable.

i'm not exactly stumping for the guy, but in fairness he didn't play much his first two years, and his third year mad mike martz played him at safety instead of wide receiver. . . and last year he was hurt. . . . the two years he was able to start more or less full time, he produced 150 catches and over 1,700 yards. . . . i think he's just as good as gaffney, and there could be a LOT worse options if the team decides that they need to add another receiver because marshall ends up getting a big suspension. . . furrey's a guy with plenty of experience and proven production, he'd be a very solid choice as a #4/#5 type of receiver-- far better than relying on a rookie. . .

actually, i'd also be happy with another ex-lion-- shaun mcdonald. . . . he's an experienced guy with some big play ability. . . .

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 09:36 PM
yep until he was arrested for the same crap pushing his girl friend around in ATL.. a few days after the pro bowl..

Think he needs to be castrated..

Its not his fault. This might sound silly but some counseling would fix Marshall and his knack for getting into abusive relationships. I just wish the Broncos could get him into it :(

Its a mental thing. Like I said I'm not a doctor and I'm in no way qualified to give advice. I'm just going from stuff I've learned. People who tend to choose abusive partners typically have abuse history in child hood, whether it be from parents, uncles, aunts, etc. Abuse is traumatic to a child and leaves a "stamp" in a childs developing brain. When the person reaches a certain age, aka puberty, the part of the brain that got "stamped" does not function correctly, and nearly anybody who Marshall is extremely attracted to will also share the same abuse history as he does.

Two abuse survivors = abuse towards eachother. But since that "stamp" is still in the brain, the person can not live without that abuse. That's why many people tend to stay in abusive relationships longer than they should.

Counseling fixes this.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Its not his fault. This might sound silly but some counseling would fix Marshall and his knack for getting into abusive relationships. I just wish the Broncos could get him into it :(

so who's fault is it?

He had the same issues with his old girl friend 3 or 4 times. then gets engaged to another gal and it happens again..

Sorry but that looks like a pattern to me.. at least a two time loser taht we know about..

Maybe he needs to date guys* !!!!!!!

*bigger than he is..

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 09:45 PM
so who's fault is it?

He had the same issues with his old girl friend 3 or 4 times. then gets engaged to another gal and it happens again..

Sorry but that looks like a pattern to me.. at least a two time loser taht we know about..

Maybe he needs to date guys!!!!!!!

did you not read my post? Chances are Marshall was physically/emotionally abused when he was a child. Whoever did that to him is to blame for this thing. If you read my post, it explains why most, if not all, of Marshall's relationships are abusive.

He needs to get his ass into counseling...

Requiem / The Dagda
03-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Hell yeah, I hope we take advantage of this awesome class.

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 04:26 AM
did you not read my post? Chances are Marshall was physically/emotionally abused when he was a child. Whoever did that to him is to blame for this thing. If you read my post, it explains why most, if not all, of Marshall's relationships are abusive.

He needs to get his ass into counseling...

I do not care about his child hood.. he is an adult and responsible for his actions and getting them fixed if he has emotional problems..

I believe he was mandated to attend anger management classes as part of his suspension deal....

so far that has not happened time after time the same thing happens we all thought it was his old girlfriend we now know it is Marshall....

the buck stops on Goodell's desk.. I suspect it will be brutal this time...

time to stop coddling folks and throw them in jail if they do not stop beating women..

Actions have consequences.. time to man up Brandon

broncofaninfla
03-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Brandon has proved he can't be relied on, I say it's a foreglone conclusion that we get another WR wether it be by the draft, FA or trade will need to be brought in for depth. I like Marshall and I think he can take control of his life but until he does so, the Broncos better have a plan B in place.

Elevation inc
03-26-2009, 09:41 AM
i think a reciver will be taken anywhere from rds 3-6. this is a deep WR class with depth very deep into the draft.

guys like brandon gibson, mike thomas, mike wallace, aaron kelly, johhny knox, quan cosby, etc.....as long as they are good route runners, know how to beat press coverage, and have good hands they will be succesful right of the bat....the above listed guys carry all those traits......

Dirk
03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a niece just get out of an abusive relationship. :mad:

I have NO tolerance for someone that is abusive to another person be it man or woman, physical or mental abuse. :tsk:

I know we all love this guy on the field when he is there and his hand isn't numb. He has mad skills and I thought he was the next T.O. the first year he was on the field for us.

However, if his ass can't get it together. Stick it to him hard and suspend him for the entire year. Maybe then he will actually wake up. (however bad that would effect the team or not)

But on point, I think it is a very good idea to pick up another WR in the 3 round or above. Insurance because Bmarsh can't get his act together is not a bad idea. :salute:

omac
03-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Brandon has proved he can't be relied on, I say it's a foreglone conclusion that we get another WR wether it be by the draft, FA or trade will need to be brought in for depth. I like Marshall and I think he can take control of his life but until he does so, the Broncos better have a plan B in place.

Isn't plan B, Gaffney?

weazel
03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Isn't plan B, Gaffney?

sadly, I think so...

I dont think he's the fourth best receiver on the team

broncofaninfla
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Isn't plan B, Gaffney?

I sure hope not, Marshall is far more talented than Gaffney. I'd love to land somebody like Holt or another young stud in the draft. I took Gaffney as an improvment to the aging D. Jackson, not an alternative to the # 1 or 2 receiving spots.

Timmy!
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd take Furrey (as long as the $ wasn't retarded) over a mid round rookie any day. Furrey, when healthy, was pretty beastly, and this was with Kitna throwing to him. It would help with the Bmarsh suspension as well. He's an injury risk, but if we could limit his snaps, he should last.

Marshall
Royal
Slot Machine
Gaffney
Furrey

That's a pretty nasty 5wr set right there. Throw in Schef (or Putz, depending on if Schef is dealt) sometimes for matchup issues.

getlynched47
03-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I do not care about his child hood.. he is an adult and responsible for his actions and getting them fixed if he has emotional problems..

I believe he was mandated to attend anger management classes as part of his suspension deal....

so far that has not happened time after time the same thing happens we all thought it was his old girlfriend we now know it is Marshall....

the buck stops on Goodell's desk.. I suspect it will be brutal this time...

time to stop coddling folks and throw them in jail if they do not stop beating women..

Actions have consequences.. time to man up Brandon

Beating women? As far as I'm concerned, Marshall has only had 1 documented arrest with the reason being that...

SmilinAssasSin27
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't vomit if Crabtree or Maclin landed in our laps at 12...even though I still think DLIne is the way to go. Otherwise, we can get a solid WR in the mid rounds.

dogfish
03-26-2009, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't vomit if Crabtree or Maclin landed in our laps at 12...even though I still think DLIne is the way to go. Otherwise, we can get a solid WR in the mid rounds.

i'd take crabtree, but i'll vomit for ya (possibly on ya) if we take maclin. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Don't sleep on Maclin. Dude is an explosive player w/ very good hands. He is incredible in space and his movements appear effortless. His return prowess could keep Eddie fresh and he's also be an insurance policy in case BM doesn't grow up anytime soon. Again...gimme DLine, but...

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Beating women? As far as I'm concerned, Marshall has only had 1 documented arrest with the reason being that...

and only 8-10 times the police had to respond..

Man I do not understand the loyalty for some of these clowns Y'all have..

Anyone that lays his hands on a lady other than in self defense and that is for restraint only.. is a sick moron..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-26-2009, 07:10 PM
To my knowledge, there was never proof of Marshall beating any woman. Get your facts straight before deeming somebody to be a "clown" or "moron" :coffee:

Marshall would be in jail if he was guilty of such a crime. I'm not sure he was ever arrested for beating up women. Nice try though...

You have no clue what you are talking about. Dudes rarely go to jail for beatin their women. Domestic abuse is the most ignored offense on the books. The cops don't wanna touch it. In addition, many times the woman drops the charges due to misguided "love" or straight up fear. I got dudes in my Batterers classes who broke restraining orders multiple times before even doing a County bit. BMarsh's lack of crim inal conviction means nothing. When there is this much smoke...there is usually a fire.

EMB6903
03-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I wouldnt mind drafting a player like Derrick Williams if he dropped to the 4th (doubtful)

But I dont think we should be wasting our top 3 round picks on a WR unless a player like Crabtree drops to 12

bullis26
03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
i would love crabtree, but if he doesnt happen i think we should take ramses barden (cal-poly guy) if hes there in there third(dont know what hes projected at, but i think he should be there) or patrick turner in the 5th or 6th maybe a reciever in between
Maybe get preston parker in the supplemental draft? the guy is a brandon marshall, but he can play like a royal, could also play rb, he did at Florida State.....wouldnt mind Greg Carr either he's another 6"6 or something guy