PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Broncos' McDaniels goes in-depth

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11995243

DANA POINT, CALIF. — Broncos coach Josh McDaniels sat down with Denver Post pro football reporters Mike Klis and Lindsay H. Jones at the NFL's owners meetings in California and spoke at length about his transition to coaching in Denver.

Here are highlights of that conversation, including his dealings with Jay Cutler, a look at the Broncos defensive and offensive schemes next season and how Denver fits in a much-changed AFC West:

How have your dealings with Jay Cutler been so far?

"I think the best thing for us in terms of conversation and reporting about that is to do that privately. Which I think is important to help resolve the situation. He's our quarterback. We're looking forward to getting him back. We're committed to him and I'll continue to do what we can do to try to affect our relationship positively from this point forward."

Have you and Cutler talked lately?

"In the last few days. I've always been optimistic. He's on our team. He's under contract. And I understand there's things we have to work towards fixing in our relationship. But I'm optimistic about those things. He's our quarterback and we'll always do what's in the best interest of our football team. But we are committed to him and I'm looking forward to him coming back. And as long as that's case and we're both committed to each other then he absolutely will be our quarterback in the long term."

Have teams inquired about a Cutler trade?

"Nobody's contacted me. Nobody's called me. Nobody's text messaged me, nobody's e-mailed me and nothing's going to happen on our football team. ... People have left messages, I can say that."

Can you review the Cassel deal?

"I think the biggest thing is, there were conversations that took place right around free agency opening, the first day. Those conversations never really got too far. The player that was being discussed was traded to another team. We were busy trying to do a lot of things to improve our football team at that time. And then obviously things started to get out and people started to say things, this and that. I think the big thing is we have to communicate going forward to try and get to a resolution."

How does Matt Cassel improve your team?

"You try to take into consideration whatever somebody's trying to offer up. If the quality of the trade you feel in the long-run would improve your team then you listen to it and you analyze whether or not it's the best decision you can make. If you listen to somebody and the trade is ridiculous — a seventh-round draft pick for Ryan Clady — it's silly. You hang the phone up and you move on. But I think every situation is different, every situation is unique. And it's been made very clear to me that my job and everybody's job in this room as a head coach is to listen to a number of scenarios that come up that may have an impact on your team in a positive direction."

So conversations about Cassel happened because they weren't silly scenarios?

"That's why we had them. They were not silly. The conversations that we had concerning the possibility of a trade, they weren't silly requests. They were scenarios that should be considered. And then after that, everything took off so fast that once this became a story that it was almost hard to stop and say wait a minute here, that's not true, this isn't true.

We need to talk in the same room. One thing I want to do and continually want to do is meet with the player. I want to meet with the player by myself. I want to meet with the player one-on-one. I think that's the best way to fix any kind of issue. And if there's anything I would change it would be the amount of time I've had to do that, thus far."

Ego needs to be massaged?

"I don't think that's an issue. He's a very good player so I hope he doesn't need to have his ego massaged. We're excited about this season, we're excited about what we're doing and he's a part of that."

Will you meet Cutler without an agent?

"I hope to. I hope so. We haven't had an opportunity to meet again in person since the last time we met. I'm hoping that would take place sooner rather than later."

Has Bus Cook's presence in meetings been a problem?

"It's not an issue for an agent. That's all I say. We're not talking about a contract. That's why I want to speak with the player."

Is Cutler now untouchable for a trade?

"I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that. Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

Are you surprised how everything blew up?

"Not surprised. It's the National Football League and we've got an enormous fan base and enormous popularity in this country and I know everything that we do and everything these other teams do on a daily basis is very important to the people who follow the game. It's all important to you and you're doing your job."

Is this all about hurt feelings?

"That may be but I don't want to speak for him in terms of his stance on the issue. He knows he's a good player. That's never been in question. He knows he can learn our offense. I know that. He knows it. I know he'll do well in it. And I think his teammates know that he's going to excel in it also. I don't think this is about him wondering if I think he's any good. Because I do. I think he's a good player. We met three or four times before this happened and I know he's going to do well in it."

In the end, the trade proposal died. Why?

"I think there are a number of reasons why those things never materialized. There were different teams, different scenarios. You're talking about a three-way trade that rarely happens. I can't speak for New England, I can't speak for Kansas City in terms of how far along they were. But obviously they had dialogue and it was productive for them."

Looking back, would you do anything differently?

"Just get an open line of communication with the player more often than we've been able to do that since this happened. That's what I'm trying to do every day now. Is try to communicate effectively with him in the same room, face to face and talk through the issue and try to improve the relationship on a daily basis."

New England appeared to get hosed in the deal compared to what you offered.

"We didn't even get to that point. I think they were a lot further along. I think they were ready to do the thing before we got involved. So I'm not sure where that stood. You'd have to ask New England and Kansas City as far as timeline."

In the future, will you be more careful with what you say?

"I don't think I would coach him any differently. First of all, he's the quarterback. The quarterback's always coached a little differently. But he'll be pushed along with the rest of them. And I have an affinity of that position in general."

Why do you keep calling him, "the player" over and over?

"He's our quarterback. And I'm not calling him just the player. I'll call him Jay Cutler if you want me to."

Do you understand that can bother somebody?

"I don't think that's the issue. If that's the issue than obviously we have a long way to go."

You turned Matt Cassel into a good QB. What can you do for a Pro Bowl quarterback?

"That's a good question, I don't know where we can go. I know this, the one thing that matters most to me as a coach is our team wins. We've got a lot of improving to do. And I'm not talking about at one position. We've got a lot of improving at a lot of positions. We were in the top 3 in scoring after the first three weeks of the season last year, and then we were 24th in scoring the rest of the year. We turned the ball over 30 times last year. That needs to improve."

How has Pat Bowlen fit in this process?

"We didn't really have any discussions about specific players during the interview process but Pat made it very clear to me that his singular goal was to win and it would be my job if I was hired to do anything I could to help our team improve.

"And he's been extremely supportive of myself and Brian throughout this whole process. He comes down to my office every day and asks me if there's anything he can do to help us win today. I don't know if I could ask for anything more from an owner."

Has he expressed concern about this?

"I don't think he's thrilled about the situation going around every day. But I think he understands we're trying to work to a resolution and you can't always get to those resolutions as fast as you may want to."

"You do this job and not every day is roses. You go through the highs and lows throughout the course of the season. You go through highs and lows throughout the course of an off-season. This is part of my job. I've had an opportunity to witness what I feel like is the finest football coach in the National Football League the last eight years deal with things of this nature. I was around when we traded Drew Bledsoe. I was around when we released Lawyer Milloy. I saw how Bill handled that and handled the team and never lost focus on what we were trying to do every day which was improve."

Has this all been a distraction to your job?

"It's added time to your day. But I think our coaching staff and our players have done an incredible job at not allowing it to be a distraction to them."

What parts of the "Patriot way" have you brought to Denver?

"I mean, that's what I know. I know this: the way that Bill and Robert Kraft and that organization have done things, it's been very productive for them. And that's what I've been a part of for eight seasons. I've been privileged to be a part of that. I'm not sure I would want to do something a whole lot different than the way they do things because they've had great success doing it, and that's why we're all here, to try to win. Most of what I do, most of my philosophies are going to come from that tree, and I don't regret that at all because it's been very productive for us."

What do you think of the turnover in AFC West?

"I don't think it's a good thing. It's a pain in the butt to get ready for them in the off-season. You've got teams like K.C. that obviously are going to run a different offense, a different defense. Oakland, I don't know if they're going to run a different offense and defense, but it's going to be a little different. So your preparation in the spring is a little difficult because you can't just turn on the tape from last season and go "OK, that's what we have to beat next year" because its going to change. San Diego should be the one constant there, but as you're getting ready for your division opponents in the off-season, which you normally always do, this makes it a little more challenged because you've had too much turnover."

The Chargers' A.J. Smith said he's scared of a New England infusion into the division.

"I don't know why. They kicked our butt last year. It was one of the most ... one of the worst nights of the season last year when we went to San Diego. So I don't know what he's scared of. I'm probably more scared of him."

What are your thoughts on Brandon Marshall?

"Obviously it's a concern. But we don't know any more information now from the league and where that's headed. But Brandon's been doing everything he can do right now to try to get himself better. If that happens, then it would be something to be concerned about and take into consideration. Right now we're just trying to work hard with him and help him be a better player. We had a good conversation about what happened, and I'm sure in due time the league will address that. Charges were dropped, and we'll see where it goes if there is anything more to it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2009, 06:25 PM
INTERVIEW CONTD.

Is your relationship with Bill Belichick damaged at all?

"Not on my end. I haven't really had a whole lot of communication with him. I've talked with him a few times since I've been in Denver, but haven't had a whole lot of conversation with him. I know he's been very busy, as have we. I hope that stays the same way."

Do you see Tony Scheffler as a good fit in your offense?

"Yeah, of course. Ben Watson's been a very good fit in New England. There's been a lot of good tight ends we've used a lot of ways, and Tony would be one of those players. He's a guy that can present a lot of problems for defenses, as can Daniel Graham, so yeah, absolutely. We've always used two tight ends, we may use more one-tight end or more two-tight ends depending on the week, but this has never been a big two-back offense, although we will do some of that."

How do you know you're ready to be a head coach?

"I don't know if you're ever totally prepared. Was I prepared to be an offensive coordinator, you know? Was I prepared to be the quarterbacks coach in 2004? I think you get confidence from those people around you that are willing to put you in those positions. Obviously, Mr. Bowlen and the people in Denver who went through the search felt very strongly that I was ready and capable. I have a lot of confidence in what I can do and what I have done, and I'm absolutely looking forward to the challenge."

The Denver defensive front seven: how would you line them up today?

"In terms of scheme? That's a good question. I think the answer is that there are a few boards at our facility and they're put up different ways. Because I think it's really important that we see where we finish this spring, and head into training camp in terms of our personnel. I don't think we can really sit there today and say, 'That looks perfect.' In terms of playing them as a 3-4 or as a 4-3, I think we have guys that can do a lot of things. Versatility is a huge thing for what we're going to try to do on defense.

"Darrell Reid, Elvis Dumervil, those kind of players are going to have some versatility for us. They may stand up. They may have their hand on the ground. It might look more like a 4-3 at times. I think there's definitely going to be a flavor of both in the spring. We really like a lot of the abilities players like Elvis have because they're not always a clean match-up for someone on the other side of the ball. He's going to do both. He's going to have his hand on the ground some, and he's going to stand up some."

What do you think of the size of the defensive line?

"We want them to be big. One of the things, I've said since I arrived in Denver, we want to be tough, physical, and I think that's going to start up front on both sides of the ball. We're looking to add size, versatility, and we want to be able to stop the run, and that's going to play into what we do. If we can handle the run with the front seven and not have to drop a guy down, you know that's advantageous to us. We're trying to get to the point where we have enough people that are good players up front, and we have a hell of a defensive line coach in Wayne Nunnelly, and we're expecting Wayne to make all those guys better players. And we have some players that are coming back from last year that we're excited about to see what they can do and how they can fit in our scheme. Marcus Thomas, Kenny Peterson, Matthias Askew. There's a lot of guys we're going to find out about. We're looking for big guys."

What about the Broncos' running game?

"I think they did a little bit more zone concepts than maybe we did in New England. That was really their bread and butter. We did more gap schemes in New England, where we're going to pull a guard. The good thing about Denver is they've done those things, and they've got really good guards to be able to do that. So you're going to see ... I can't give that up. That's kind of my baby. But you're going to see both. Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner are both still there from last year, so our playbook looks pretty nice in terms of what we'll be able to do in the running game because we've carried over plenty of what they do and what they've done, and we've added what we've done in New England, and we're going to do whatever we can to win."

What is your offensive line philosophy?

"We've always had a little bit bigger line in New England. The biggest thing to me in terms of size is can they anchor? Can they anchor the pocket without getting pushed into the quarterback? Historically we've been more of a pocket passing team, so that is always the question when we look at linemen is, do they anchor well or not? If they're going to get pushed into the quarterback seven yards behind the line of scrimmage, that's a little different. But the guys we have, Wiegmann, Hamilton, even though they're a little lighter, they play with great leverage, and that's the big thing for me. We can play with those guys, and they're going to play well."

Any predictions for the AFC West?

"You start with the Chargers, they won the division, and they've excelled now for a number of years. They're physical, I'll tell you that. That's one of the big challenges for us is to try to match that physicality, that toughness they play with. We're all chasing those guys. They run the ball well on offense, which is why it is a big emphasis for us to get to where we feel we're comfortable stopping the run.

"I think they're very physical on defense. They play a 3-4 but have a lot of versatility within that scheme. It's always given us some problems in New England. Last year wasn't very good for us when we played in San Diego. They found some ways to create some mismatches with us in terms of protection and the game got out of hand quickly.

"I've already talked about how K.C. has changed over so that's a bit of a different deal. It's hard to prepare for a team that you can't watch of film and say, that's what they're going to do. We're watching Arizona's offense or Arizona's defense to try to figure out how Kansas City is going to play this year, and that's always a bit of a challenge.

"And then the Raiders, there're three things you're going to face when you face Oakland, and that's big, fast and physical. You're not on Oakland's roster unless you're big, fast and physical. Either one of those, or all of them. So whenever you get ready to play Oakland, you know what the deal is there. They're explosive. We've played them a few times in NE, and they've always been difficult preparation because they're so athletic and so big.

"So there's a lot of different types of challenges in this division, and it starts with San Diego and Kansas City obviously got better as the season went on last year. We played them early in the season, and they gave us a lot of fits. They've got a lot of good young players and added Scott Pioli and Todd Haley, and they're going to be improved. They're on their way up, and Oakland is always a challenge, so it's going to be a heck of a division this year."

Describe your first 2 1/2 months.

"Exciting. Every day is a little bit of a different day. I've been around this game for a long time, so coming to work and being around football is great fun. Your days aren't always fun but the job that you have is something that a lot of people in this world probably wish they could be involved in this game. I'm thrilled to be here. Love every day I come to work."

jrelway
03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
i think some good things were said and looks like mcdaniels is making an effort. now its cutlers turn to mend the fences and talk one on one without that bloodsucking cook guy. if cutler tells mdaniels to go F himself, may he get traded to detroit and watch his career go down the toilet.

Den21vsBal19
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Carol.........................may take a read or 4 to digest all that ;)

elsid13
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Best interview McDaniels has given. It appears someone pulled him aside and helped him with his communication skills. Still needs to stop that "the player" crap.

NameUsedBefore
03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
The repetition of "Cutler is our QB" is encouraging. Because, and I think McDaniels at the very least is smart enough to know this, if he keeps saying that and then trades him, he will probably lose most if it not all trust with the team.

elsid13
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
The repetition of "Cutler is our QB" is encouraging. Because, and I think McDaniels at the very least is smart enough to know this, if he keeps saying that and then trades him, he will probably lose most if it not all trust with the team.

I also believe that Scheffer is now off the trading block. I think that is one of the reasons that Cutler is willing to talk to McDaniels now. Cutler is extremely loyal and I wouldn't be surprised this was one of the issues causing the rift.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
good interviews but almost all of teat that was said verbatim in the NFL interviews on Monday and the breakfast on Tuesday..

Either the interview was not a one on one like it was billed or Josh has the bullet points down pat..

Nothing new that we have not heard before..

BeefStew25
03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
good interviews but almost all of teat that was said verbatim in the NFL interviews on Monday and the breakfast on Tuesday..

Either the interview was not a one on one like it was billed or Josh has the bullet points down pat..

Nothing new that we have not heard before..

Good point.

Mods, please delete thread.

bcbronc
03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Best interview McDaniels has given. It appears someone pulled him aside and helped him with his communication skills. Still needs to stop that "the player" crap.

this one was a bit more of a transcript, rather than an article where the author picked which quotes to use and how. could be the reason.

We were in the top 3 in scoring after the first three weeks of the season last year, and then we were 24th in scoring the rest of the year. We turned the ball over 30 times last year. That needs to improve."

this kind of puts our #2 ranked offense into perspective. bottom third of the league in scoring over our last 13 games.

also noticed McDaniels talked about running a bit more of a pocket passing attack. Jay's been lights out outside the pocket, and while he's not exactly Plummer between the tackles, he does have some bad habits. Be interesting to see how Jay does in this offense, and whether McD can convince Cutler of the merits of setting his feet before he throws.

and it sure feels good to talk about "how" Jay will do in this offense, rather than "if". :beer:

honz
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM

I think he is just using "the player" to refer how he likes to deal with all of his players. At least that's how I interpreted it before people started making a fuss over it. Either way, not a big deal to me as he used Cutler's several times and keeps repeating that he is our QB.

weazel
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I also believe that Scheffer is now off the trading block. I think that is one of the reasons that Cutler is willing to talk to McDaniels now. Cutler is extremely loyal and I wouldn't be surprised this was one of the issues causing the rift.

Cutler isn't acting the fool because Scheffler was on the block. Cutler is acting the fool because his feelings got hurt.

...because Scheffler was on the block, :tsk: LMAO

claymore
03-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I dont care what people say I loved the article, it summed everything up nicely. If McD can solve my QB issue I might love the SOB.

shank
03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
sorry, unrelated, but i stumbled upon this in the walter football mock:

...actually tried to downgrade its quarterback position from Jay Cutler to Matt Cassel. If I were friends with Josh McDaniels, I'd constantly offer him $20 bills for $100 bills of his. I'd be rich in no time!

made me laugh. i'll read this article now ;)

red98
03-25-2009, 08:21 PM
That has to be the best work I've seen from Lindsay H. Jones.
I thought she asked great questions, especially the follow ups.

It was great to learn more about how McKid envisions the various players and schemes, instead of all Cutler all the time.

A very satisfying interview, alot to chew on.

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
sorry, unrelated, but i stumbled upon this in the walter football mock:

made me laugh. i'll read this article now ;)

I still dont understand the reasoning behind acquiring Matt Cassel. Jay Cutler is better, 1 year younger, and has a lot more potential to be one of the best.

He wants Matt Cassel because of their buddy-buddy relationship? That's wack...

shank
03-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I still dont understand the reasoning behind acquiring Matt Cassel. Jay Cutler is better, 1 year younger, and has a lot more potential to be one of the best.

as dumb as i think it would be, i still have faith that there was much more compensation involved for us if a deal went down.

regarding this interview, i agree that it's another good step taken by McD. if he manages to fix the situation, he's back even IMO. he hasn't proved anything YET. i still won't like him much because of the leach situation, but he can get himself out of that hole as well with time and performance.

ball is in cutler's court now me thinks.

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 08:30 PM
as dumb as i think it would be, i still have faith that there was much more compensation involved for us if a deal went down.

regarding this interview, i agree that it's another good step taken by McD. if he manages to fix the situation, he's back even IMO. he hasn't proved anything YET. i still won't like him much because of the leach situation, but he can get himself out of that hole as well with time and performance.

ball is in cutler's court now me thinks.

i agree. i compare this thing to a stupid chess game. McDaniels made the latest move. Now it's Cutler's move... :salute:

omac
03-25-2009, 08:32 PM

On that note ....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=37495

"Jay Cutler - no. Marvel Smith quite possibly, yes. Cutler seems destined to stay in Denver. Word is owner Pat Bowlen might be overruling new coach Josh McDaniels and forcing McDaniels to make nice with his diva thrower. Everyone has a price and Cutler might be tradable, but the price is supposedly very high and far too rich for the 49ers."

Not documented fact, though; just word on the street.

Good interview, Carol! :salute:

On the plus side, he seems to have a good plan on going about building a winning team. He also is trying to be more accomodating with Cutler, although he's still pretty defensive about it. He never admits any fault in the matter, tries to justify all his actions, yet does admit that better communication early on would've been a good thing (like we were all saying on these boards :D ). Had McJaygate not escalated, we'd only be questioning some of the acquisitions this offseason, but nothing to rock the boat.

On the minus side ... well, not that big of a minus ... he's a bit of a Bellichick robot, in that the Patriot way is all he knows. The way Bellichick handles his players is probably to him the norm in the league, so most likely, he was surprised at the backlash. He will run the Broncos offense and team like the Pats; he probably has a WWBBD bracelet. He obviously has a great football mind, and he's been taught real well by the master, but he isn't yet his own coach. Right now, his comfort zone is mimicking what he's seen for 8 years, but that's what you usually get with a young, first time coach. The Pats system has been extremely successful, though. Hopefully in time, he will develop his own way, and adjust, just like Shanahan has from the 49ers to the Broncos, and we'll be a better team for it.

(added) Oops, sorry, I didn't see JontheBronco's thread on the Bowlen telling McDaniels to play nice. Credits to him for the post. :cheers:

Shazam!
03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I think that's a great interview. I love what he has to say, and some of his harshest critics should be a lil' happier after reading that lengthy piece. Apart from the Cutler debacle that was mishandled by him he's only half at fault for it. I love the way he speaks and his vision for the team. The Broncos will be good with him in charge, and I'll take any semblence of the 'Patriot Way' the same way I'd have took any semblence of the 'Walsh Way' or the '49er Way' in the mid-90's.

MOtorboat
03-25-2009, 08:58 PM

That's why Cassel isn't a Bronco.

:noidea:

omac
03-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I think that's a great interview. I love what he has to say, and some of his harshest critics should be a lil' happier after reading that lengthy piece. Apart from the Cutler debacle that was mishandled by him he's only half at fault for it. I love the way he speaks and his vision for the team. The Broncos will be good with him in charge, and I'll take any semblence of the 'Patriot Way' the same way I'd have took any semblence of the 'Walsh Way' or the '49er Way' in the mid-90's.

The Bellichick way should be good, just as the Walsh way was good for the Broncos. The similarities with McDaniels and Shanahan are obvious; the major advantage Shanahan had over McDaniels that he brought to the Broncos was wisdom through experience. When Shanahan took over the Broncos, he's had 20 years of solid coaching resume under him, and that's why, though he brought with him the Walsh way, he knew several other systems too, and he had experience dealing with players from different systems, both in the college and pro ranks. McDaniels has only really known Bellichick's way, but he'll come into his own soon enough. Looking forward to him becoming a great coach. :cheers:

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 09:15 PM

let me try and put it in perspective..

You live and work with someone for a couple of years and the last year he pretty much runs the playbook and system to perfection.. almost make the playoffs with the guy.. there is nothing to want from the guy.. He knows how you think and you know how he thinks.. He can make all the throws he needs to in the scheme.. He lacks nothing in the program.. He can come in and be the field general you need on the practice field and game day.. Can teach the WR and RB where they need to be cause he knows the scheme and system inside out..

Now you move to DEN and there is a great kid with a lot of potenttail... But as you studying film you see things that you are going to have to fix.. (we all know what they are so I will not go through them)..

on top of those things he needs to correct. Your going to have to teach him from the ground up.. the scheme how to read the defenses and how to react to that defense he sees. How to call the audible and make sure everyone else knows what is going on.. Since he does not know the scheme you're re now going to be wasting valuable time going over the scheme with him and then have to do the same thing with the WR to get them into the system also..

So your going to be using only part of the scheme until they can all get on the same page..

Now the kid has a cannon arm but in this scheme you do not need said cannon arm only a good one.. (which the old guy has)

the cannon arm kid likes to throw deep for the glory and stats..

New guy seems a bit immature after watching how he handles himself on the sidelines.

Old guy knows that a team effort is better than individuals stats and glory and is rock solid level headed..

Some one calls and says hey how would you like the old guy (one year older) and I'll give you a #1 choice and the #20 choice in the next draft..

Do you think about it or go on potential?

underrated29
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I honestly believe that mcd thinks cutler is good but not great. And that cassel could be as good as Jay. I think he kinda thinks like a bunch of the chargers and outsiders that oooh jay has a big arm and thats it. But he makes tons of bad throws and INTS.

I do not think he has the first hand knowledge that we do that Jay can be one of the greats with a little refining and polishing of skills.

I also believe that once the season starts? or is over for sure, that Mcd will think Jay is one of the greats and will LOVE him being here. Thats if Jay hasnt already shattered records in Mcds offense.

Jay threw 25 tds this year in our system- He would have had more if it wasnt for the teams redzone turnovers.(his fault and others).....

Just think about what numbers he will post in Mcd offense. We do have a tough schedule, but i think 28+ tds is in line, and that will grow each year as we get more familiar with it

JKcatch724
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Lot of great questions in that interview.... I'm glad somebody finally asked him about the front seven/D-Line, as well as the situation with Scheffler. Both are things we've been asking for a while now.

red98
03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
let me try and put it in perspective..

You live and work with someone for a couple of years and the last year he pretty much runs the playbook and system to perfection.. almost make the playoffs with the guy.. there is nothing to want from the guy.. He knows how you think and you know how he thinks.. He can make all the throws he needs to in the scheme.. He lacks nothing in the program.. He can come in and be the field general you need on the practice field and game day.. Can teach the WR and RB where they need to be cause he knows the scheme and system inside out..

Now you move to DEN and there is a great kid with a lot of potenttail... But as you studying film you see things that you are going to have to fix.. (we all know what they are so I will not go through them)..

on top of those things he needs to correct. Your going to have to teach him from the ground up.. the scheme how to read the defenses and how to react to that defense he sees. How to call the audible and make sure everyone else knows what is going on.. Since he does not know the scheme you're re now going to be wasting valuable time going over the scheme with him and then have to do the same thing with the WR to get them into the system also..

So your going to be using only part of the scheme until they can all get on the same page..

Now the kid has a cannon arm but in this scheme you do not need said cannon arm only a good one.. (which the old guy has)

the cannon arm kid likes to throw deep for the glory and stats..

New guy seems a bit immature after watching how he handles himself on the sidelines.

Old guy knows that a team effort is better than individuals stats and glory and is rock solid level headed..

Some one calls and says hey how would you like the old guy (one year older) and I'll give you a #1 choice and the #20 choice in the next draft..

Do you think about it or go on potential?

Logic says you think about it.

Experience proves you either do it or don't even think about it.
I agree with your explanation of why McD would consider it though. I think if he had wanted Cassel all along, he would have made the overtures himself much earlier.

He's making the right moves now with Jay, not kissing ass, but making it known he wants to work with Jay.

I like all his talk about being tougher and being more versatile all over.

I'll be happy when all the threads are about who fits at NT and such.

High hopes for McKid and the Broncos.

CoachChaz
03-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm still completely blown away at how some people can take a small snip of a conversation and translate it into some big negative issue.

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I honestly believe that mcd thinks cutler is good but not great. And that cassel could be as good as Jay. I think he kinda thinks like a bunch of the chargers and outsiders that oooh jay has a big arm and thats it. But he makes tons of bad throws and INTS.

I do not think he has the first hand knowledge that we do that Jay can be one of the greats with a little refining and polishing of skills.

I also believe that once the season starts? or is over for sure, that Mcd will think Jay is one of the greats and will LOVE him being here. Thats if Jay hasnt already shattered records in Mcds offense.

Jay threw 25 tds this year in our system- He would have had more if it wasnt for the teams redzone turnovers.(his fault and others).....

Just think about what numbers he will post in Mcd offense. We do have a tough schedule, but i think 28+ tds is in line, and that will grow each year as we get more familiar with it

the issue is can jay be refined? he pretty much did what he wanted to last year when given the option to hit an open WR or go deep into double and often triple coverage he chose the big play almost every time some resulting in incompletion's some in picks..

Does he want to spend the time and effort to work with him and frankly after the temper tantrums over the past couple of weeks will jay even listen??

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Logic says you think about it.

Experience proves you either do it or don't even think about it.
I agree with your explanation of why McD would consider it though. I think if he had wanted Cassel all along, he would have made the overtures himself much earlier.

He's making the right moves now with Jay, not kissing ass, but making it known he wants to work with Jay.

I like all his talk about being tougher and being more versatile all over.

I'll be happy when all the threads are about who fits at NT and such.

High hopes for McKid and the Broncos.

I'm not sure he wanted him earlier.. I think he got a legit proposal that was to good to NOT think about it.. and from all reports up to that time jay was friendly and open to discussion.. whether that is/was true we will never know for sure..

underrated29
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
the issue is can jay be refined? he pretty much did what he wanted to last year when given the option to hit an open WR or go deep into double and often triple coverage he chose the big play almost every time some resulting in incompletion's some in picks..

Does he want to spend the time and effort to work with him and frankly after the temper tantrums over the past couple of weeks will jay even listen??

Of course Jay can be refined. he hasnt even been a starter for 3 years yet. come on JR, hate shanny all you want, but not his picks too.

The games where we were not behind and forced to play catch up, or barely hanging on by a thread Jay did not force the issue or always go deep. He did it when he needed it....

dont believe watch the raiders game- He hit the open man. Watch the preseason games, this year and last year. Watch what Jay does when he is not forced to put the ENTIRE team on his shoulders to get the W.

He has those refined skills. He needs to refine them more, absolutely. But dont blame the mistakes he made when trying to force a comeback..go big or go home, well the rest of the broncos went home, jay wanted to go big, mistakes happen when you take chances. But when you are down by so many points you have to take them to even have a remote shot at winning.

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Of course Jay can be refined. he hasnt even been a starter for 3 years yet. come on JR, hate shanny all you want, but not his picks too.

The games where we were not behind and forced to play catch up, or barely hanging on by a thread Jay did not force the issue or always go deep. He did it when he needed it....

dont believe watch the raiders game- He hit the open man. Watch the preseason games, this year and last year. Watch what Jay does when he is not forced to put the ENTIRE team on his shoulders to get the W.

He has those refined skills. He needs to refine them more, absolutely. But dont blame the mistakes he made when trying to force a comeback..go big or go home, well the rest of the broncos went home, jay wanted to go big, mistakes happen when you take chances. But when you are down by so many points you have to take them to even have a remote shot at winning.

on those points you are correct and perhaps he can indeed be taught the fone art of being a restrained QB..

But so far he has not and perhaps a reason Josh thought trading for his pupil was the way to go..

far less bad habits to have to break and ONCE again we all know he has some..

The scheme jay is about to break into puts the emphasis on reading defenses as you approach the LOS and throwing to the open man..

something that most of last year was not a super strong point of his when Marshall was on the field....

Jay has a lot of penitential is he worth a 100 mil he will be asking for soon personally I think not..