PDA

View Full Version : Goodell eyes season of 17-18 games

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I made a thread asking if we should extent the regular season about 3-4 years ago over on broncosmania. Looks like Goodell thinks it would be a good move. I like the idea of seeing my team play two more times. That's alot of overall revenue for the owners too. 32 teams having to play 2 more times. Fantasy owners are going to love it!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4015357

DANA POINT, Calif. -- More games that count, perhaps as early as August 2011? That's exactly what NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants.

There are several hurdles before the league can expand its regular season from 16 to 17 or 18 games. Among them is reaching a new collective bargaining agreement with the players' union.

Still, the commissioner hopes to present a proposal to the owners in May after the matter was discussed at length this week at the owners meetings.

"It's possible that we could vote in May, but we want to have core discussions on this," Goodell said Wednesday. "Anytime you have change, there is some reluctance. But it's clear we don't need four preseason games anymore."

Goodell said the league has not seriously discussed the subject with its broadcast partners. He couldn't imagine them not being interested in more meaningful games.

"I think the quality of NFL programming, that every one of our network partners would say, if they have the chance to have more regular-season programming, they'd be interested in it," Goodell said. "A key point is the fans also recognize players they want to see are not in those preseason games; that's why they are not attractive. They want to see those players play."

As for those players and their union, Goodell recognizes an expanded schedule will be part of CBA negotiations. Owners opted out of the current deal last year, and it expires after the 2010 schedule, which would be an uncapped season.

"Under the current agreement, additional regular-season games would not be covered," Goodell said. "I think our most important priority after we get done with our internal analysis is talking to our key partners, and that includes the players. I think we want to make sure that the right dialogue takes place before we make any final votes."

DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA's incoming executive director, wants any decision that affects the players to happen collaboratively.

"His hope is that the concerns and interests of the players will be seriously considered," said George Atallah, a director at the public relations firm Qorvis Communications and a spokesman for Smith during his transition. "He was elected by the players to be their advocate on such issues and is more than ready to serve them."

Among the issues team owners must discuss is when the regular season would begin; how many bye weeks would be scheduled; how deep into February the playoffs and Super Bowl would go; and when the offseason programs -- including the combine and the draft -- would be held.

Plus, where would the extra games be played, particularly with 17 of them?

One possibility, an idea Goodell and senior vice president of sales and marketing Mark Waller first mentioned several years ago, would be 17 neutral-site games, including some abroad. That would enable the league to step up its efforts internationally, a particular goal of Goodell's.

"There's been some discussion about that," Goodell said. "That's been one of the appealing features of converting preseason games into regular-season games is it gives you more inventory, more games that you can take to neutral sites, either internationally or domestically. So that is a compelling feature."

Another option would be having one conference play nine home games during a season, and the other conference do so the next year.

An 18-game schedule, obviously, would eliminate such concerns. It also would mean dropping two preseason contests.

"Fans don't believe preseason games are up to our standards," Goodell said.

Clearly, neither does he.

honz
03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
A 16 game season is already hard enough on these guys. I don't think this is a good idea.

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 04:28 PM
A 16 game season is already hard enough on these guys. I don't think this is a good idea.

its not your body so dont worry about it. just enjoy the extra games. we pay the bills and i want more football dammit!

besides, read the bottom of the article that was highlighted. we would take away 2 preseason games.

Krugan
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
"Groan"

"Show me the money!!!!!!!!!"

Super bowl on Presidents Day, isnt that about where it would be if they added 2 games onto the end of the season?

I cant see them adding 2 at the start, games in august would be nasty hot.

And agreed, 2 more games equal more damaged QB's, and dear lord save of us if the we lose 3 or 4 big name players. I about vomitted towrds the end of last year with all the Tom Brady talk. If you didnt know better you would have thought the guy was on deaths door....

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I do not see how increasing the games to 18 will do much for bottom line money.. they will not make that much more money in ticket sales, concessions and will have to pay the players more, than the few hundred bucks a game they do now..

Unless they can get huge money from the networks I do not see it..

jrelway
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM

its why these guys get paid the big bucks.

Krugan
03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
its not your body so dont worry about it. just enjoy the extra games. we pay the bills and i want more football dammit!

besides, read the bottom of the article that was highlighted. we would take away 2 preseason games.

Taking away 2 games from those that need them, such as 2nd tier talent that have pretty much one shot to show what they got is, Crap.

Pre-season is about evaluating talent and preparing for the regular season.

So we now have 2 to 4 games at the start of the season to watch teams fine tune and look like they are still in preseason.(yea I know, but I dont think the nfl needs to mess with a working buisness model)

jrelway
03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I do not see how increasing the games to 18 will do much for bottom line money.. they will not make that much more money in ticket sales, concessions and will have to pay the players more, than the few hundred bucks a game they do now..

of course this generates more $$ for the league and the teams with an extra game or 2.

Krugan
03-25-2009, 04:36 PM

JR, of coruse its about network money. I dont have the numbers, but 32 more broadcasts a year, thats big bank.

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Taking away 2 games from those that need them, such as 2nd tier talent that have pretty much one shot to show what they got is, Crap.

Pre-season is about evaluating talent and preparing for the regular season.

So we now have 2 to 4 games at the start of the season to watch teams fine tune and look like they are still in preseason.(yea I know, but I dont think the nfl needs to mess with a working buisness model)

i actually really enjoy preseaon just fot that alone. it was great to see what alridge could do last year in preseason. its these guys first and could be their only shot so they play hard when they get a chance.

hopefully they only take 1 preseason and yet somehow add the 2 games.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
JR, of coruse its about network money. I dont have the numbers, but 32 more broadcasts a year, thats big bank.

I understand why the NFL wants it do the networks and advertisers?

but then they have to re-do those contracts correct?

From what I heard the networks are luke warm about it as it is.. with the economy the way it is..

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 04:40 PM

since players are begging for more money this could be leverage. want more money? then your going to have to play more.

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM

From what I heard the networks are luke warm about it as it is.. with the economy the way it is..

do you really think fans wont watch football....even they way the economy is? goodell complains on a few economic policies and even lowered his own salary but i dont think it effects the revenue. goodell said there was actually an increase this past year.

Krugan
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM

Thats a good question, assuming the NFL is seriously considering(again it seems this has been a luke warm subject for a few years now) there has to be some support coming in from the TV powers.

I dont know though, would be nice to see the money spenders side of the discussion.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
do you really think fans wont watch football....even they way the economy is? goodell complains on a few economic policies and even lowered his own salary but i dont think it effects the revenue. goodell said there was actually an increase this past year.

that was before the recession also.. I suspect there will not be an increase in ticket sales this year..

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Thats a good question, assuming the NFL is seriously considering(again it seems this has been a luke warm subject for a few years now) there has to be some support coming in from the TV powers.

I dont know though, would be nice to see the money spenders side of the discussion.

they might be also ramping up their own net works here also if CBS, NBC and Abc do not want it..

UnderArmour
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
17 games. Each team plays once on a neutral field. Problem solved. No more taking away home games for global marketing.

honz
03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Yes, they get paid big bucks to sacrifice their bodies, but they are still human.

Hardwired
03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
If they increase the number of games, they will also have to increase the team rosters by 5-6 players to cover the extra injuries.

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 06:24 PM
If they increase the number of games, they will also have to increase the team rosters by 5-6 players to cover the extra injuries.

i suspect that would be a topic of concern if they go ahead and do this. each week players get injured so im sure the practice squad and game day rosters will also be increased a bit. you might not see so many guys go on ir early in the year either because if they get injured and its only a few weeks to heal (michael pittman anyone) the team could easily carry more runningbacks. come to find out pittman would have been healed at the end of the season but he couldnt come back because the team put him on ir ending his season.

Den21vsBal19
03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
17 games. Each team plays once on a neutral field. Problem solved. No more taking away home games for global marketing.
IIRC from a while back that was one of the suggestions, and not just foreign venues, but also neutral sites in the US such as LA, and possibly even Vegas..............

bcbronc
03-25-2009, 07:28 PM

I don't know about this. It sounds good, but it might be tougher than expected. The NHL tried it a few years ago, with every team having two neutral site games. Problem was, it wasn't as easy to find venues that met NHL standards as was initially thought. It got scrapped after 1-2 seasons because the NHLPA wouldn't accept the added risk of playing in less than ideal arenas.

football might be a bit easier. You can use NCAA stadiums, or soccer stadiums abroad. Also less games to find venues for. But you get one or two stadiums with shoddy turf, and the PA will be screaming (and rightfully so).

I'm also not sure I like the idea of increasing the number of games. as mentioned already, young/bubble players need that playing time and more "real" games will only increase the amount of injuries to key players/superstars.

I also think it will dilute the value of each game. with 16 games, every game is important. while adding 1-2 more games doesn't seem like a lot, it does make a loss easier to overcome.