PDA

View Full Version : Update on B-Marsh, Buck, Tony and changes to the running scheme

Spiritguy
03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Marshall must wait for league to decide fate
The Denver Post

DANA POINT, Calif. — Unlike in McJaygate, in which the involved parties have the final say on who starts the season at quarterback, there isn't much the Broncos can do for star receiver Brandon Marshall.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is confident he can repair his fractured relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler. The fate of Marshall, however, rests with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Marshall is coming off consecutive 100-catch seasons while also confronting the possibility of starting back-to- back seasons under suspension.

"As you know we spent a fair amount of time talking last summer," Goodell said Tuesday at the league's owners meetings. "I mentioned to him before that he needs to stay out of the way of any legal issues and criminal issues. While there are no charges here, at least something occurred, and we'd like to understand (it)."

Marshall was suspended for the opener of the 2008 season after Goodell ruled the receiver was in violation of the league's personal conduct policy for repeated domestic incidents. Marshall was arrested again last month after a quarrel with his fiancee. Charges were dropped the next day, but a conviction is not necessary for a player to be found in violation of the league's conduct policy.

"Obviously it's a concern," McDaniels said. "I'm sure in due time the league will address that. Charges were dropped, and we'll see where it goes if there is anything more to it."

Alleged drug dealer clears Buckhalter.

Convicted drug dealer Styles Beckles apologized to Correll Buckhalter after a prosecutor mentioned the Broncos running back as a client during Beckles' trial last week in Delaware County near Philadelphia. Beckles was convicted Friday of drug possession with intent to deliver.

"I never sold marijuana to Correll Buckhalter," Beckles said in a statement issued by his attorney. "The police listened to one conversation I had with Correll and decided it was about marijuana. It's not the truth. I have never sold, talked about selling, or given marijuana or anything else illegal to Correll Buckhalter."

Buckhalter was not charged. He played his first eight seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles until he became a free agent last month and signed a four-year, $10 million contract with the Broncos.

"I talked to Correll," McDaniels said. "I'm not doing cartwheels here, but if it's verified that (a conversation) is all it was, I would be happy about it. But we're going to make sure that's the case. It did sound like a step in the right direction."

Scheffler situation.

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler is in impressive physical condition, thanks to intense personal workouts with Denver Nuggets strength-and-conditioning coach Steve Hess. After Scheffler suffered foot injuries on the first day of mini-camp each of the past two years, he didn't want to break his conditioning momentum, so he continued to train with Hess last week while his teammates, minus a certain quarterback, participated in the Broncos' offseason conditioning program.

It appears Scheffler has been encouraged to start showing up at Dove Valley.

"He worked out with the team today and I believe he'll continue to do so and I'm happy about that," McDaniels said.

Change to running game.

Never mind the new set of running backs (Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan) the Broncos acquired through free agency. Perhaps the most significant change to the Broncos' offense this year will be the diminished role of the zone-blocking scheme that had been a Denver staple since the Mike Shanahan era began in 1995.

"That was really their bread-and-butter," McDaniels said. "We did more gap schemes in New England, where we're going to pull a guard. I can't give that up. That's kind of my baby. But you're going to see both."

The new running scheme will showcase the agility of Broncos guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11991316

weazel
03-25-2009, 12:37 PM
the one thing that Denver had going for it was the zone blocking on the line. To come in and think he can just change that and use these players for his scheme is kind of ridiculous. Lets hope it works, because the one thing that the Patriots haven't had is a good running game.

honz
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
the one thing that Denver had going for it was the zone blocking on the line. To come in and think he can just change that and use these players for his scheme is kind of ridiculous. Lets hope it works, because the one thing that the Patriots haven't had is a good running game.
They had a very successful running game last year with no name running backs.

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 01:02 PM
i like a mixture of both. my only concern now is pass protection. our oline was designed for zbs so these guys developed their pass protecting abilities with this system. now if we go with the gap system does it hinder their pass protecting technics? i say they will be fine but you do have to wonder that. also it looks like hamilton will see the field more...not really high on hamilton.

DenBronx
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
great to hear sheff is in top physical condition. the guy is a play maker...i hope he gets at least 1 more year here.

bcbronc
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm glad Scheffler is at least back in the mix. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was done as a Bronco when he didn't show up for the first meetings. This article makes it sound like that's not necessarily the case.

Scheff has some limitations, but he's also a match-up nightmare for defenses. if McDaniels offensive system is as versatile as he says, I'd think he'd put a premium on guys like that.

with that said, I don't mind shopping him, as long as the return is worthwhile. but I don't like the idea of "dumping" Scheff just because he doesn't "fit the system".

NightTrainLayne
03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Alleged drug dealer clears Buckhalter.

Convicted drug dealer Styles Beckles apologized to Correll Buckhalter after a prosecutor mentioned the Broncos running back as a client during Beckles' trial last week in Delaware County near Philadelphia. Beckles was convicted Friday of drug possession with intent to deliver.

"I never sold marijuana to Correll Buckhalter," Beckles said in a statement issued by his attorney. "The police listened to one conversation I had with Correll and decided it was about marijuana. It's not the truth. I have never sold, talked about selling, or given marijuana or anything else illegal to Correll Buckhalter."

Buckhalter was not charged. He played his first eight seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles until he became a free agent last month and signed a four-year, $10 million contract with the Broncos.

"I talked to Correll," McDaniels said. "I'm not doing cartwheels here, but if it's verified that (a conversation) is all it was, I would be happy about it. But we're going to make sure that's the case. It did sound like a step in the right direction."

:D Um. .. yeah. . ..I would wager that this drug dealer would testify that he hadn't sold drugs to ANYBODY. . . it's not like he's admitting to selling it to someone else. ..

roomemp
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM

I welcome a change. Our zone Blocking scheme was getting bland in my opinion. It was cutting edge when we first introduced it, but like anything, people caught on. I want a pound the ball get first downs and grind down the clock running game. Let the passing game get us the big yeards. BRING ON CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LRtagger
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Honestly, I doubt any of us will notice a huge difference in our running game. IIRC we pulled guards on several occassions last season on sweep plays. I'll bet that the majority of our running system remains unchanged. They may add a couple new blocking schemes, but I doubt its an entire overhaul.

Den21vsBal19
03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
:D Um. .. yeah. . ..I would wager that this drug dealer would testify that he hadn't sold drugs to ANYBODY. . . it's not like he's admitting to selling it to someone else. ..
Oh, I don't know..................he's been convicted anyways so it doesn't make a great deal of difference, and if he could prove that he'd sold to a NFL player, he might have been able to parlay that into some sort of deal by putting a feather in someone's cap

getlynched47
03-25-2009, 02:04 PM

uh...i think New England was top ten in rushing last season :rolleyes:

bcbronc
03-25-2009, 02:15 PM

that was only because the other teams had to commit everything they had in hopes of containing Cassel. better to be bludgeoned by a hammer than shredded out of existence. :salute:

dogfish
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
i like a mixture of both. my only concern now is pass protection. our oline was designed for zbs so these guys developed their pass protecting abilities with this system. now if we go with the gap system does it hinder their pass protecting technics? i say they will be fine but you do have to wonder that. also it looks like hamilton will see the field more...not really high on hamilton.

it won't affect the pass protection. . . . zone blocking is only done on running plays-- pass pro is always man-to-man, in every scheme. . . . doogie might do things a little differently in terms of blitz pickup and assignments, but the fundamentals won't change. . . .

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm glad Scheffler is at least back in the mix. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was done as a Bronco when he didn't show up for the first meetings. This article makes it sound like that's not necessarily the case.

Scheff has some limitations, but he's also a match-up nightmare for defenses. if McDaniels offensive system is as versatile as he says, I'd think he'd put a premium on guys like that.

with that said, I don't mind shopping him, as long as the return is worthwhile. but I don't like the idea of "dumping" Scheff just because he doesn't "fit the system".

worst case is he becomes another BIG possession WR.. until they can move him, his contract is not sky high and has 2 years left on it IIRC..

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM

#6 in total yards. 12th

#7 in YPC. 4th

#4 in TDs 14th

#1 in 1st downs 14th

Tied for 2nd in fewest fumbles 6the worst

#4 in attempts 28th

Pretty impressive IMHO

BTW that is DEN in RED

honz
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM
#6 in total yards. 12th

#7 in YPC. 4th

#4 in TDs 14th

#1 in 1st downs 14th

Tied for 2nd in fewest fumbles 6the worst

#4 in attempts 28th

Pretty impressive IMHO

BTW that is DEN in RED
#4 in attempts? But, but I thought ESPN said NE never runs the ball!

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
#4 in attempts? But, but I thought ESPN said NE never runs the ball!

there you go thinking again:D

or better yet believing what you read/hear..:laugh: