PDA

View Full Version : mandatory camp not til 6/12. Jay n Josh speak tuesday?

red98
03-25-2009, 02:30 AM
Reach out and touch QB
Cutler, Coach McDaniels had plans to speak by telephone Tuesday night
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

DANA POINT, Calif. — If McJaygate were a football game, and not a soap opera, Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler might be approaching the red zone.

In what could be a significant development toward placating their contentious relationship, McDaniels and Cutler were to speak by phone Tuesday night.

No agent Bus Cook. No owner Pat Bowlen. Just coach and quarterback.

"I'm looking forward to doing that," McDaniels said.

Can they reach a resolution?

As Tuesday night wore on, McDaniels, the 32-year-old former New England offensive coordinator, and Cutler, the Broncos' 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback, had exchanged messages but had yet to speak. Apparently, the drama that is McJaygate will reach at least Day 25 today. However, a resolution could be near. McDaniels made it clear Tuesday during the annual AFC coaches' breakfast he has no intentions of trading Cutler, although he stopped short of saying his quarterback is untouchable.

Cutler is receptive to talking personally with McDaniels.

"One thing I want to do and continually want to do is meet with the player," McDaniels said Tuesday morning. "I want to meet with the player by myself. I want to meet with the player one on one. I think that's the best way to fix any kind of issue."

It was brought up to McDaniels that he kept referring to Cutler as "the player" and not by name. The impersonal reference was believed to have been carried down from Bill Parcells to Bill Belichick to his assistants, including McDaniels.

"He's our quarterback," McDaniels said. "And I'm not calling him just the player. I'll call him Jay Cutler if you want me to."

There has been friction between the coach and the quarterback since McDaniels engaged in a three-team trade proposal in late February that would have sent Cutler to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New England's Matt Cassel to Denver. Cassel was instead dealt to Kansas City, but Cutler felt misled and betrayed by McDaniels.

Since the discord became public, Cutler and McDaniels have had two conversations, the first time by conference call and, most recently, March 14 in person. Bowlen participated in the conference call. Cutler was accompanied by Cook, his agent, for each conversation. Their most recent meeting went so poorly, Cutler formally issued a trade request.

The Broncos have not acted upon that request, although many teams have inquired about Cutler's availability.

"People have left messages. I can say that," said McDaniels, adding he personally has not been contacted by any coaches or executives regarding Cutler at these league meetings, which end today.

Cutler skipped McDaniels' first team meeting last week and has yet to participate in the voluntary offseason conditioning program. The next quasi deadline in the dispute would be the team's first mini-camp, April 17-19. The Broncos clarified Tuesday their first mini-

camp remains voluntary to the players. Only one of a team's two mini-camps can be designated "mandatory" by rules of the collective bargaining agreement. The mini-camp the Broncos have labeled mandatory will be held June 12-14.

Still, the first mini-camp is the week before the NFL draft, when most football trades are made. If Cutler doesn't show up April 17, would the Broncos then consider trading him?

"No. Nope. He's under contract," McDaniels said. "He's our quarterback. I have confidence that he'll — I'm not exactly sure when that will be, but I have confidence that it'll take place."

Cutler has three more years remaining on a six-year contract he signed before his rookie season. One of the last remaining obstacles in McJaygate may involve McDaniels' repeated credo that any player can be traded if it would help the team. McDaniels doesn't believe it is good for the team if such "untouchable" proclamations are stamped on one player.

If Cutler is told he is untouchable, wouldn't Champ Bailey have the right to expect the same designation? Still, given the publicly charged situation with Cutler, McDaniels would have a strong chance of bringing closure to McJaygate if he delivered a no-trade exception to his quarterback.

"I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that," McDaniels said. "Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now, because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11990145

tomjonesrocks
03-25-2009, 02:44 AM
A chat between McDaniels and Cutler tonight seems newsworthy. Will be interested to hear the news on the result of that. Hopefully Jay leaves with a better impression than he did last time they talked...

Anything sans-Bus is a good thing though.

LordTrychon
03-25-2009, 02:54 AM
It's Wednesday now.

I'd like my assurance that things are all better, please.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 03:05 AM
Well this should qwell the Mc Dipshit crowd.

Or will we get the reading between the lines and pharsing every word crap we have come to know and laugh at.

Josh has made one more good faith efforts to calm this press frenzy down.

Now will jay man up and talk man to man.

LordTrychon
03-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Or will we get the reading between the lines and pharsing every word crap we have come to know and laugh at.

Good to see you, JR... was just thinking about your take on this.

I was just about to add to the thread that it doesn't seem like a coincidence to me that as soon as McDaniels is giving a vote of confidence to Jay and saying some *gasp* complimentary things to his QB... Now, Jay is answering his texts and they have plans to talk one on one.

MasterShake
03-25-2009, 03:09 AM
It's Wednesday now.

I'd like my assurance that things are all better, please.

Me too. I just had a dream Jake Plummer was our QB. In the dream he scrambled 56 yds only to have the ball jarred loose at the goal line for a fumble. I'm dead serious.

I never realized how much of a fan I was until this. My mood is affected more than I like to admit by this crap. The day I get my Bronco text from CBS4 with the final update will give me a really good/bad day. That sucks, but thats also really cool in some way. Its good to have passions in life!

Or maybe its the fact that I dropped some good $ on a authentic Cutler jersey 2 years ago and I'm sick of getting screwed over with stuff like that. :lol:

From now on I'm sticking with my custom jersey, hats and sweaters. You will hurt me no more Free Agency and Trades!

honz
03-25-2009, 03:11 AM

I was just about to add to the thread that it doesn't seem like a coincidence to me that as soon as McDaniels is giving a vote of confidence to Jay and saying some *gasp* complimentary things to his QB... Now, Jay is answering his texts and they have plans to talk one on one.
Jay (or his agent) have been quoted as saying that McDaniels has never bad mouthed Cutler and has actually been complimentary in their previous discussions...FWIW.

MasterShake
03-25-2009, 03:11 AM

Its weird, but when he held up the throwback Cutler jersey I just had this feeling that Cutler would be throwing 50 yd TD bombs to receivers for us this season. At least 49 of them with only 10 INT.

That would be awesome.

LordTrychon
03-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Me too. I just had a dream Jake Plummer was our QB. In the dream he scrambled 56 yds only to have the ball jarred loose at the goal line for a fumble. I'm dead serious.

I never realized how much of a fan I was until this. My mood is affected more than I like to admit by this crap. The day I get my Bronco text from CBS4 with the final update will give me a really good/bad day. That sucks, but thats also really cool in some way. Its good to have passions in life!

Or maybe its the fact that I dropped some good $ on a authentic Cutler jersey 2 years ago and I'm sick of getting screwed over with stuff like that. :lol:

From now on I'm sticking with my custom jersey, hats and sweaters. You will hurt me no more Free Agency and Trades!

You never realized what a fan you were before this?

You volunteer to moderate on a Broncos Message Board, and are posting at 4:11 EST...

:laugh: Obsessed much? :lol:

LordTrychon
03-25-2009, 03:13 AM
Jay (or his agent) have been quoted as saying that McDaniels has never bad mouthed Cutler and has actually been complimentary in their previous discussions...FWIW.

I saw that, but I also saw Jay get upset again when he said he was looking forward to putting it all behind him and having a laugh about the whole thing.

I don't think that happened because the water in his glass was tepid rather than a perfect 34 degrees.

MasterShake
03-25-2009, 03:14 AM
You never realized what a fan you were before this?

You volunteer to moderate on a Broncos Message Board, and are posting at 4:11 EST...

:laugh: Obsessed much? :lol:

Stop pointing out obvious things. Plus I have a baby, thats why I'm up. You are just here because you can't live without me hearing your opinion at 2 am! :lol:

And what I meant is I usually don't kick my dog after a Broncos loss, but for some reason this is affecting my mood.

Plus I get paid to Mod. With hot pockets.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 03:30 AM
LT it must be going nuts on mania. With all the kiddies there that know nothing about the broncos than mikey and some just know jay.

Must be a hoot with all the whining and knashing of teeth. Night all my black berry is do for acharge.

Dirk
03-25-2009, 05:56 AM
I hate how the media keeps things going. I was watching ESPN NEWS last night and they had a blurb about McD saying that Jay was the QB and that the team was commited to him....only to add to the end of it, "but a trade could still be in the future".

I mean come on. Just keep it going for the idiotic means of keeping it going.

I officially hate the media more now then when the Presidential election was going on.

MasterShake
03-25-2009, 05:58 AM
I hate how the media keeps things going. I was watching ESPN NEWS last night and they had a blurb about McD saying that Jay was the QB and that the team was commited to him....only to add to the end of it, "but a trade could still be in the future".

I mean come on. Just keep it going for the idiotic means of keeping it going.

I officially hate the media more now then when the Presidential election was going on.

We really need T.O. to rob a Burger King or something. Why can't they ignore Denver like they do in the regular season?

Dirk
03-25-2009, 06:09 AM
We really need T.O. to rob a Burger King or something. Why can't they ignore Denver like they do in the regular season?

:rofl:

Good one! haha!

fcspikeit
03-25-2009, 06:26 AM

Nice to see you LT :salute:

You also caught that huh... Kind of funny how that works isn't it :lol: Who could have guessed that might actually have worked..;)

A little public professed commitment goes a long way... It appears McDaniels is learning, It also appears Cutler is willing to meet McDaniels half way..

Here's to hoping both of them are willing to follow it through... :beer:

claymore
03-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Jrwiz is going to be so pissed if he wakes up and Cutler is still our QB.

fcspikeit
03-25-2009, 06:37 AM

After Jay and Josh get this all worked out, this whole situation will have been good for the Broncos.. Both games with the Chiefs will be highly rated.. Not to mention they will follow up on Jay and Josh's relationship status throughout the year.. The Broncos might even get a couple more flex games on Sunday night because of this.

You know what the say, no publicity is bad publicity..

My brother is convinced this whole thing was a set up to get the Broncos in the news.. He thinks both Cutler and McDaniels are laughing their asses off while planning their next move. He says "No one is dumb enough to consider trading Cutler for Cassel, if McDaniels was truly that dumb Bolwen would have fired his ass by now. So there is just no way this could be for real".. Maybe he was right? I have to admit, if it was a set up, it worked :D

claymore
03-25-2009, 07:23 AM
After Jay and Josh get this all worked out, this whole situation will have been good for the Broncos.. Both games with the Chiefs will be highly rated.. Not to mention they will follow up on Jay and Josh's relationship status throughout the year.. The Broncos might even get a couple more flex games on Sunday night because of this.

You know what the say, no publicity is bad publicity..

My brother is convinced this whole thing was a set up to get the Broncos in the news.. He thinks both Cutler and McDaniels are laughing their asses off while planning their next move. He says "No one is dumb enough to consider trading Cutler for Cassel, if McDaniels was truly that dumb Bolwen would have fired his ass by now. So there is just no way this could be for real".. Maybe he was right? I have to admit, if it was a set up, it worked :D

I like your Brother.

fcspikeit
03-25-2009, 07:50 AM
I like your Brother.

He has been a Bronco fan longer then me, he has also liked the Pats for some time. He is 10 years older then I. My oldest full brother is a Pitt fan.. In all I had 9 brothers, 7 still living. 4 half and 5 full. I also have 4 sisters, 3 still living..

My mom had 10 of us and my dad had 4 boys from other marriages..

Dirk
03-25-2009, 07:53 AM
He has been a Bronco fan longer then me, he has also liked the Pats for some time. He is 10 years older then I. My oldest full brother is a Pitt fan.. In all I had 9 brothers, 7 still living. 4 half and 5 full. I also have 4 sisters, 3 still living..

My mom had 10 of us and my dad had 4 boys from other marriages..

Yikes! :rolleyes:

fcspikeit
03-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Yikes! :rolleyes:

Yeah, when you have that many siblings you grow up having to learn to get along. I understand all about the need for a mutual commitment.. ;)

Dirk
03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, when you have that many siblings you grow up having to learn to get along. I understand all about the need for a mutual commitment.. ;)

I can only imagine. ha!

BigDaddyBronco
03-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Not as pissed as tubby will be.

TXBRONC
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM

That's not dream Shake it's a nightmare.

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM

while I think the punk should go..

I know that and have said from day one this is much ado about nothing and follow the money..

afterall it is all about getting the golden arm a new contract . afterall how could he possibly make ends meet on just 1.3 mil this year his bar tab is half of that..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shazam!
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Hopefully for better or worse, this will get resolved this week.

NightTrainLayne
03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Stop pointing out obvious things. Plus I have a baby, thats why I'm up. You are just here because you can't live without me hearing your opinion at 2 am! :lol:

And what I meant is I usually don't kick my dog after a Broncos loss, but for some reason this is affecting my mood.

Plus I get paid to Mod. With hot pockets.

Hot Pockets?

WTF?

All I got was a picture of Dread's hairy butt. ..

Lonestar
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Hot Pockets?

WTF?

All I got was a picture of Dread's hairy butt. ..

BUTT it was autographed right?:salute:

MasterShake
03-25-2009, 05:33 PM
That's not dream Shake it's a nightmare.

I did wake up in a cold sweat screaming, clutching my pillow...

I think we were playing the Chiefs in the dream, too! :shocked:

TXBRONC
03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I did wake up in a cold sweat screaming, clutching my pillow...

I think we were playing the Chiefs in the dream, too! :shocked:

Was it at Arrowhead or at Invesco? :laugh:

MasterShake
03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Was it at Arrowhead or at Invesco? :laugh:

At Invesco. I have these weird dreams about that place all the time where I have these really good (but uncomfortable) bleacher seats right on the field at the 35 yd line.