PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Elway article shows similarities to Cutler

red98
03-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Taken from the mane (Uberbronco)

Can't take the credit for this one, as Mojo really found something interesting over at BM.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives...article14.html

Some excerpts:

This year, they return with a relatively young squad built on the rock-solid foundation of a stingy defense (its 226 points allowed were the fewest by any team in '89), a more consistent offense that will feature second-year running back Bobby Humphrey and, of course, the impressive gifts of Elway, who vows he won't repeat his '89 misdeeds, which included 18 interceptions. Considering the way Denver dominated the AFC last season -- it was the only team that won more than nine games -- It's difficult not to choose the Broncos this time around.

That is the new Elway attitude. Less complaining, more rolling with the punches. Of course, John McEnroe has been talking about a new attitude for years and he still can't control his tennis temper tantrums. Elway didn't have temper problems, just rabbit eyes and ears. Criticism would infuriate him, so much so that it affected his personality and, to some extent, his performance. He wasn't happy about his play last year, but he was pleased that he finally got things off his chest midway through the season.

That's when he complained, in a Sports Illustrated article, about feeling "smothered" by media coverage in Denver -- there was even a story about what he handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween -- and wasn't so sure he wanted to take it anymore. Then, in a revealing press conference, he calmly told the local press to, basically, go to hell. He unloaded all his complaints and felt good about doing it. Since then, his attitude has undergone a positive change.
"I've matured," he said. "When I was growing up, I dreamed of being in this league, playing quarterback. Then I was doing it and not having any fun. That had to stop."

Let's back up to last January and the days preceding Super Bowl XXIV. Along with preparing for the 49ers, Elway had to deal with reports by a Washington, D.C., television station, still unsubstantiated, that three white quarterbacks in the NFL had failed past drug tests, and with criticism from CBS-TV analyst Terry Bradshaw, who cast Elway as a stagnant, not-very-smart quarterback who hadn't developed his vast potential. Then, to go out and lay such a big egg against the 49ers made the whole episode the most unhappy period of Elway's adult life.

He didn't have to look far for more motivation. This time, it came from Hall of Fame quarterback Johnny Unitas, who once called Elway a spoiled brat for not wanting to play for the Colts, the team that made him the No. 1 pick overall in the 1983 draft (a few days later, he was traded to Denver). During the offseason, Unitas wondered when everyone would concede that Elway never would become as good as his press clippings.
Keep in mind this was after Elway's SEVENTH season in the league. Cutler is just now entering his fourth.

Shazam!
03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Bradshaw and Unitas were just jealous of his arm and his hair.

Northman
03-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Yea, just saw this over there. Too me its just not the same thing. Elway had already accomplished far more at that point than Jay has at this point yet the comparison is being made about their personalities. However, being to 3 SB's and dealing with the frustration of being blown out of all because the lack of help on the team can make anyone break at some point and it looks like John had. Having a mental breakdown over a trade rumor is peanuts and just sad.

red98
03-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Yea, just saw this over there. Too me its just not the same thing. Elway had already accomplished far more at that point than Jay has at this point yet the comparison is being made about their personalities. However, being to 3 SB's and dealing with the frustration of being blown out of all because the lack of help on the team can make anyone break at some point and it looks like John had. Having a mental breakdown over a trade rumor is peanuts and just sad.

The comparison is more apt when comparing criticisms of each QB.

you know "he's stupid", "He's over-rated" "he's on drugs/drinking"

All the BS rumors and stupid criticism of their play, pernsonality and leadership
ability. And this was coming at Elway even after the accomplishments
you listed.

honz
03-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Bradshaw and Unitas were just jealous of his arm and his hair.

:lol:

fcspikeit
03-25-2009, 01:39 AM

We have to remember Reeves did want to trade Elway.. Back then we didn't have the net like we do know where every rumor gets spread and then respread until every fan has heard about it.. Who knows what the Elway sources would have been saying?

Also from what I remember, Elway refused to play for Reeves after the trade talks/rumors, and it came down to either he wanted to be traded or Reeves had to go.. Would Elway have held out? No one knows for sure but if his history was any indication, I think it's pretty clear what he would have done..

I'm glad Bowlen chose the player over the coach in that instance.. Some would say he put one player over the team, maybe he did? Either way I'm glad he did what was needed to keep Elway as a Bronco..

omac
03-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Wow, great find! Eerily familiar. :cheers:

frenchfan
03-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Bradshaw and Unitas were just jealous of his arm and his hair.:rofl:

Though I have more respect for Unitas who was one of the greatest...

It's very interesting that despite his 4 rings, I haven't hear a lot about Bradshaw being one of the greatest... :confused:

Dirk
03-25-2009, 06:06 AM
:rofl:

Though I have more respect for Unitas who was one of the greatest...

It's very interesting that despite his 4 rings, I haven't hear a lot about Bradshaw being one of the greatest... :confused:

Bradshaw wasn't one of the greatest. Look at his stats. He threw a lot of lame ducks and his GREAT team around him caught them and protected him. They also had one of the greatest defenses of all time during his SB wins.

Bradshaw was/is popular because he is entertaining. Now I wouldn't say he is one of the worst QBs, but he is no where in anyone's discussions as one of the greatest of all time. Unless they are a Steelers fan.

Bradshaw never liked Elway. IIRC, it took Elway winning his first SB before Bradshaw would say anything good about Elway. Jealousy? Yes, I believe so.

frenchfan
03-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Bradshaw wasn't one of the greatest. Look at his stats. He threw a lot of lame ducks and his GREAT team around him caught them and protected him. They also had one of the greatest defenses of all time during his SB wins.

Bradshaw was/is popular because he is entertaining. Now I wouldn't say he is one of the worst QBs, but he is no where in anyone's discussions as one of the greatest of all time. Unless they are a Steelers fan.

Bradshaw never liked Elway. IIRC, it took Elway winning his first SB before Bradshaw would say anything good about Elway. Jealousy? Yes, I believe so.I couldn't tell it better...

Bradshaw had a great D, a great RB and WR...
He was a good QB, no doubt about that... But really far away from guys such as Unitas, Elway, Montana & co.

When we talk about 70's Steelers, we think Steel Curtain...
When we talk about Broncos, we think Elway... Period

Now, back to the topic, I think Jay and John have something in common... They both have an incredible arm and a lot of talent...

One reached the level... Played in 5 SB (won 2) and was an incredible comeback kid... despite playing for a long time with an average team.

The other one has the potential for sure... But will he become one of the greatest? I don't know...
I just think it was a really bad idea for McD to think of trading him.
But I think Jay didn't answer like he should have. Just answer on the field Jay ! Show us you're the best... You'll be the winner of this dispute...
Currently, I just see 2 losers in the case... (not mentionning us, Broncos fans)

I hope they'll find a way to work together and let Jay shows he is OUR QB.
:beer: