PDA

View Full Version : Best Metal Band Tournament

Northman
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Vote for who will be number 1.

http://challonge.com/northman

Each round will last for a couple of days.

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Where does Skid Row fit in?

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Okay, in all seriousness why was Black Sabbath left off the list.

If it were me the final four would be Iron Maiden vs. Metallica and Motorhead vs. Black Sabbath.

Slick
03-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Slayer!

Northman
03-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Where does Skid Row fit in?

Good question. While i do consider hard rock/glam rock a slight sub-genre to heavy metal they are more rock bands than metal.

Okay, in all seriousness why was Black Sabbath left off the list.

If it were me the final four would be Iron Maiden vs. Metallica and Motorhead vs. Black Sabbath.

Another great question and follows a similiar vibe to my previous post. Basically, and this is my viewpoint on Sabbath is they are more rock than metal. And while they are considered a metal band by many i just dont see it and have never seen it except on a album like "Dehumanizer" featuring Ronnie James Dio. So while i could of added them i wanted to stray away from the bands that were what i felt "questionable" in that regard. Most of what i have listed are the most noteables in the heavy metal genre but obviously i could not include everyone. Maybe at some point i will do a rock one which would be a lot of fun as well.

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Fair enough North.

Since Black Sabbath isn't in it you can susbstitute Slick's pick for them in my final four. I think that's gotta be the final four from that list.

Slick
03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I agree with you aboutSkid Row North but if Sabbath hadn't done an album like Master of Reality(late 1960's I believe) I don't think half of those bands in the tournament would even exist.

CoachChaz
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Sucks...i cant access this at work

Northman
03-07-2012, 01:43 PM
I agree with you aboutSkid Row North but if Sabbath hadn't done an album like Master of Reality(late 1960's I believe) I don't think half of those bands in the tournament would even exist.

Totally agree. But for me its not about who influenced the metal genre. In a lot of ways it was the punk scene that influenced bands like Napalm Death. I would say that a great many bands like Rush and Led Zeppelin also had an impact on the metal scene to varying degrees. But i wouldnt consider them metal bands just because of the influence. It is much harder for a band like Sabbath because they do incorporate some doom along with much faster pace stuff like "Time Machine" off of Dehumanizer. But it was one of those bands that i felt were more rock oriented rather than metal. But i have no doubt of their influence on the scene itself.

Northman
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Sucks...i cant access this at work

Get to it at home. :)

CoachChaz
03-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Get to it at home. :)

Yeah...like I have time at home. Is it mobile friendly?

Northman
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Yeah...like I have time at home. Is it mobile friendly?

I would assume so but i have not tried it.

CoachChaz
03-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Works pretty on mobile. Some of the early results are pretty surprising though

Buff
03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
FFS North, I know you can't please everybody, but you included 64 bands and left Sabbath & Slipknot off the list, yet included such nobodies as Helloween, Voiod, WinterSun, Rhapsody of Fire?

You and thnikk can be such music snobs. :D

CoachChaz
03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
FFS North, I know you can't please everybody, but you included 64 bands and left Sabbath & Slipknot off the list, yet included such nobodies as Helloween, Voiod, WinterSun, Rhapsody of Fire?

I agree there are some good bands that were surprisingly left off, but (almost) every band on there is pretty damn good

Northman
03-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Man...and too think i left off the best band eva in Linkin Park. Shame on me. :)

Army Bronco
03-07-2012, 10:02 PM
My final four....old Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth, and Pantera. Sepultura, Anthrax, InFlames, Fear Factory and iced Earth would be up in my top 10

Northman
03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Second round is up and ready.

CoachChaz
03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm playing along...and I like all the bands...but no Sabbath, Slipknot and LOG makes it tough

Northman
03-10-2012, 05:05 AM

3rd Round

Death
Testament
Kataklysm
At the Gates
Iron Maiden
Amon Amarth
Judas Priest
Megadeth
Napalm Death
Enslaved
Overkill
Carcass
Sepultura
Fear Factory
King Diamond
Metallica

Northman
03-11-2012, 04:24 AM

Death
At the Gates
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Enslaved
Carcass
Sepultura
King Diamond

CoachChaz
03-11-2012, 12:15 PM
No offense to anyone, but aside from missing some obvious bands...I am pretty shocked by the results of the voting.

I love Amon Amarth, but better than Pantera?...Death better than Testament?...King Diamond better than Slayer AND Metallica?

I know it's a poll of opinion, but either there weren't enough participants or the ones that did play along have never followed metal music

Northman
03-11-2012, 12:22 PM
No offense to anyone, but aside from missing some obvious bands...I am pretty shocked by the results of the voting.

I love Amon Amarth, but better than Pantera?...Death better than Testament?...King Diamond better than Slayer AND Metallica?

I know it's a poll of opinion, but either there weren't enough participants or the ones that did play along have never followed metal music

Well, i know who some of the voters were and i can say they are indeed metalheads. I think what you are seeing here is people who are more fans of more of the undergound bands rather than the commercially successful ones. I myself like AA far more than Pantera despite liking both.

CoachChaz
03-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Well, i know who some of the voters were and i can say they are indeed metalheads. I think what you are seeing here is people who are more fans of more of the undergound bands rather than the commercially successful ones. I myself like AA far more than Pantera despite liking both.

I love AA too, and I guess my thinking is based on total contribution to metal. If that's the case, then AA just hasnt been around long enough to claim that. To be honest...AA is really just a very good Viking metal band. They sound great, but what have they contributed?

If that result was the only surprise, then I could understand. But I truly fail to see where King Diamond solo or with Mercyful Fate could ever beat the quality of music or contributions of Salyer or early Metallica. Now we can say they have had commercial success all we want, but Iron Maiden is also left on the list as is the most overrated metal band ever...Megadeth.

So if I'm thinking of underground or non-commercial metal, hardcore, grindcore, death bands that can be considered best ever without commercial success and have contributed to metal today, then I need to see bands like the Cro-Mags, Mayhem, Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, etc added to the list. And bands like Emporer should have done better. If King Diamond is better than Metallica, than Emporer certainly is and by far better than King Diamond. Morbid Angel should also have faired better based on this idea.

But polls like this are two-fold. The results are a combination of genre knowledge and popularity. My guess is if bands like Slipknot and LOG were added to this list, they would be amongst the remaining participants based on recent popularity and a band like Sabbath would still be around based on respect for creating the genre.

Just personally speaking, if I were to come across a random article on-line that said at least 6 or 7 of the remaining bands in this poll were the best metal band of all time, I would probably dismiss it immediately. I'm old enough to remember the days of tape trading and following metal music religiously to know that 95% of the bands that call commercial success a "sellout" are the ones that are just pissed that they arent good enough to sell more than a few hundred records.

At the end of the day, keeping metal music alive is all that's important. Guys like Ian Christie making sure we remember the roots of our music and guys like you keeping us informed of new music are carrying the torches for the one genre of music that never dies and always finds a way to re-invent itself. The answer to this poll is simple and one that anyone with a passion for the music would agree on. There is no one single best ever metal band

Northman
03-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I love AA too, and I guess my thinking is based on total contribution to metal. If that's the case, then AA just hasnt been around long enough to claim that. To be honest...AA is really just a very good Viking metal band. They sound great, but what have they contributed?

If that result was the only surprise, then I could understand. But I truly fail to see where King Diamond solo or with Mercyful Fate could ever beat the quality of music or contributions of Salyer or early Metallica. Now we can say they have had commercial success all we want, but Iron Maiden is also left on the list as is the most overrated metal band ever...Megadeth.

So if I'm thinking of underground or non-commercial metal, hardcore, grindcore, death bands that can be considered best ever without commercial success and have contributed to metal today, then I need to see bands like the Cro-Mags, Mayhem, Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, etc added to the list. And bands like Emporer should have done better. If King Diamond is better than Metallica, than Emporer certainly is and by far better than King Diamond. Morbid Angel should also have faired better based on this idea.

But polls like this are two-fold. The results are a combination of genre knowledge and popularity. My guess is if bands like Slipknot and LOG were added to this list, they would be amongst the remaining participants based on recent popularity and a band like Sabbath would still be around based on respect for creating the genre.

Just personally speaking, if I were to come across a random article on-line that said at least 6 or 7 of the remaining bands in this poll were the best metal band of all time, I would probably dismiss it immediately. I'm old enough to remember the days of tape trading and following metal music religiously to know that 95% of the bands that call commercial success a "sellout" are the ones that are just pissed that they arent good enough to sell more than a few hundred records.

At the end of the day, keeping metal music alive is all that's important. Guys like Ian Christie making sure we remember the roots of our music and guys like you keeping us informed of new music are carrying the torches for the one genre of music that never dies and always finds a way to re-invent itself. The answer to this poll is simple and one that anyone with a passion for the music would agree on. There is no one single best ever metal band

I get what your saying but i myself didnt really look at this as who was more important to the scene or anything like that. Just picked based on my preference of listening. Nice Ian Christie name drop. \m/

CoachChaz
03-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I get what your saying but i myself didnt really look at this as who was more important to the scene or anything like that. Just picked based on my preference of listening. Nice Ian Christie name drop. \m/

I'm an old metal head...I know my shit. ;-)

Northman
03-12-2012, 04:51 AM

Final Four!

Death
Iron Maiden
Enslaved
King Diamond

Jsteve01
03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Ok I don't know how I missed this thread, but finally something I can sink my teeth into ( no pun intended hahahahahahaha)

A few thoughts North. Obviously music and genre typing are subjective, but I would assert that Sabbath although not really metal by today's standards is the original doom band. Their slow droning verses are the epitomy of doom and I would assert that they've impacted the sub genre far more than any other band.

And as to the bands that ended up in the finals. I really get a kick out of music snobs who refuse to acknowledge that mainstream success even mild main stream success shouldn't preclude a band from being involved in these types of discussions. This isn't directed at you North so much as the people who decided that the kings of Bay area thrash don't even make it to the final 4. I also do think your seeding was a little bit biased. The crappy offerings of the past two decades shouldn't override the fantastic, genre defining material they produced through And Justice for All.

I'm also frustrated that the ultimately creative Opeth didn't make it out of the first round. They are a band that is truly creative and defies labeling.

All that said. Since it's the final 4 my vote has to go to Maiden.

Northman
03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
At work currently but will address your post later Steve.

Northman
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
A few thoughts North. Obviously music and genre typing are subjective, but I would assert that Sabbath although not really metal by today's standards is the original doom band. Their slow droning verses are the epitomy of doom and I would assert that they've impacted the sub genre far more than any other band.

Totally agree. Its why ive pointed to the fact that they have had a massive influence on the genre. But as you said, by today's standards they just dont measure up in heaviness too me.

And as to the bands that ended up in the finals. I really get a kick out of music snobs who refuse to acknowledge that mainstream success even mild main stream success shouldn't preclude a band from being involved in these types of discussions. This isn't directed at you North so much as the people who decided that the kings of Bay area thrash don't even make it to the final 4. I also do think your seeding was a little bit biased. The crappy offerings of the past two decades shouldn't override the fantastic, genre defining material they produced through And Justice for All.

Well, when i did the seedings it was based upon the popularity of the bands within the crowds i hang with. And i understand that can change depending on who you are. Back in the 80's the popularity of bands like Metallica, Anthrax, etc would be pretty high. However, its a new age and unfortuantely the latter material from some of those bands has caused them to slip in terms of popularity amongst the metal masses. Doesnt take away what they did early in their careers but yes i was basing my rankings off of the present day.

I'm also frustrated that the ultimately creative Opeth didn't make it out of the first round. They are a band that is truly creative and defies labeling.

I was quite surprised as well but shockingly i have had a hard time getting people to vote. Two of the voters that have contributed that i know are more into the folk/viking stuff so as Coach pointed out that is probably why you would see a band like Amon Amarth do so well. But as i said, these tournaments were really just based off of personal taste and not so much how valued they are to the genre itself. I probably should of reworded my thread differently because it really should be based off your favorite or most listenable band compared to who is actually the best because best is very subjective.

CoachChaz
03-12-2012, 04:47 PM
If you're bored...maybe get a list to the people you know that know metal and ask them to list their top 20. You can word it how you want. Most Influential...Best Ever...Best since 1990...whatever.

But I would definitely label it. Because when you have such a broad scope of bands over 40 years and when you take into consideration how much metal has evolved and how many sub-genres there are...it totally clouds the voting if the poll is too vague.

Northman
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
If you're bored...maybe get a list to the people you know that know metal and ask them to list their top 20. You can word it how you want. Most Influential...Best Ever...Best since 1990...whatever.

But I would definitely label it. Because when you have such a broad scope of bands over 40 years and when you take into consideration how much metal has evolved and how many sub-genres there are...it totally clouds the voting if the poll is too vague.

Good idea. Get to work on that list bitch. pronto. :)

CoachChaz
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Good idea. Get to work on that list bitch. pronto. :)

Which one?

Northman
03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Which one?

I dont know, what do you feel? Should we do a favorites list or most influential? Maybe get Steve to chime in on this when he is on next.

CoachChaz
03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I dont know, what do you feel? Should we do a favorites list or most influential? Maybe get Steve to chime in on this when he is on next.

Well, we could do Best Power metal, best hardcore, best death, best grindcore, best power, etc.

Come up with a poll for a few sub-genres and then take the top for from each of those and make a best metal ever. Something like that. I know its a lot of work, but something to do when bored I suppose

Northman
03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Well, we could do Best Power metal, best hardcore, best death, best grindcore, best power, etc.

Come up with a poll for a few sub-genres and then take the top for from each of those and make a best metal ever. Something like that. I know its a lot of work, but something to do when bored I suppose

Well, i can definitely work on that although it will take some work but if you guys feel it would be a cool thing to do i will do it. I love my metal. lol

Northman
03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Here are some genres that ive come up with.

Power Metal
Death Metal
Progressive Metal
Black Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Hardcore/Metalcore
Doom Metal
Thrash/Speed Metal
Traditional Heavy Metal
Gothic/Symphonic Metal
Industrial Metal
Nu-Metal

Northman
03-13-2012, 02:43 AM
And then there were two,

Death
Enslaved

CoachChaz
03-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Power Metal
Death Metal
Progressive Metal
Black Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Hardcore/Metalcore
Doom Metal
Thrash/Speed Metal
Traditional Heavy Metal
Gothic/Symphonic Metal
Industrial Metal
Nu-Metal

I think 12 should be enough. Poll the top 10 in each genre, then take the top 4 from the results and put them in a 48 band final vote

Jsteve01
03-13-2012, 09:20 AM
You guys are more motivated than me. I just prefer to sit back and pick your work apart.

CoachChaz
03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
You guys are more motivated than me. I just prefer to sit back and pick your work apart.

Slacker.

Then again, that's the workload that usually gets paid the most.

Northman
03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Slacker.

Then again, that's the workload that usually gets paid the most.

And somehow like the peon i am i always get the brunt of the work.

CoachChaz
03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
And somehow like the peon i am i always get the brunt of the work.

You started this shit. I can give you a list of my faves from each genre, but you are the bracket master

Northman
03-13-2012, 02:28 PM
You started this shit. I can give you a list of my faves from each genre, but you are the bracket master

Well, yea i need some input at least so you and steve can go ahead and give me some lists even if it isnt 10. Im going to post on some music forums to get some similiar lists as well.

Jsteve01
03-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Power Metal
Death Metal
Progressive Metal
Black Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Hardcore/Metalcore
Doom Metal
Thrash/Speed Metal
Traditional Heavy Metal
Gothic/Symphonic Metal
Industrial Metal
Nu-Metal

You forgot progressive blackened death

Northman
03-13-2012, 06:03 PM
You forgot progressive blackened death

Nah, and i knew your sorry ass would go there. lmao. (you probably wont be the only one)

Right now, i dont give a shit about breaking it further down. Just go by what the main basis is for the band, if they are prog/black or prog/death and they are more prog than the other put them in the progressive genre. If its more black or death than you get the picture.

Northman
03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Well, here is my list so far, a bit more in some places and less in others but once i get some more lists i will narrow it down.

Power Metal

Helloween
Primal Fear
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius
Cage
Sonata Arctica

Death Metal

Death
Kataklysm
Napalm Death
Obituary