PDA

View Full Version : Bronco Forums upgrade -- Ask questions & post any problems here

Tned
03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Ok, we are upgraded. As I posted in the other thread, there are still some kinks that need to be worked out and there are some upgrade tasks running in the background that will impact performance thoughout the day.

vBulletin 4 is quite a bit different than vBulletin 3, so things look different and in some cases work different.

I will start working on a cheat sheet of the changes between VB 3 and VB 4, but in the meantime, ask any questions you have in this thread and anything you see that doesn't look right, looks broken or you would like different, post in this thread and I will compile a list and fix/change what we can.

One quick note. There is no longer a "User CP" link. Now, to see the things that used to be in the User CP (subscribed threads, PMs, MHS messages, etc.) click the "Settings" link in the upper left near the logout button.

UPDATE 1: The mobile.broncosforums.com feature is not currently working and may not work in the future. The way I did that isn't supported in vB4. However, if you go to the site on mobile phone and then go to the bottom left of the page, you can change the style to the Mobile style which is much better and full featured than the old mobile style/site.

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
In all seriousness tned, so far so good.

If you remember some Iphone/ipad users were having trouble whith getting kicked out while doing any quoting or starting new threads? That issue seems resolved, at least with the new "reply with quote" system. I'll try starting a new thread to see if that issue still exists there.

Tned
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
In all seriousness tned, so far so good.

If you remember some Iphone/ipad users were having trouble whith getting kicked out while doing any quoting or starting new threads? That issue seems resolved, at least with the new "reply with quote" system. I'll try starting a new thread to see if that issue still exists there.

Good to hear on the Iphone. The app was designed to work with vB 4, and they created a plugin for it to work with the older vBulletin we were on.

There is a new version of the Iphone app that I need to try and get compiled and submitted this week (then it will take a few weeks for Apple to approve).

Tned
03-07-2012, 08:42 AM
See the "Update 1" note in my original post above for those previously using mobile.broncosforums.com.

Lancane
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Only real problem I've had is that my friend list was changed slightly?

Thnikkaman
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
The "View First Unread" link on the thread bar is orange on orange. There is a little bit of a contrast, but you can easily miss it if you don't see the little blue button there.

dogfish
03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
the user names need to be bigger/bolder text-- right now it's no bigger than the text of the custom title. . .

it would be cool if the high five and quote could be buttons again, as opposed to just text. . .

the MHS button is nearly invisible against the background. . .

it seems that clay is still allowed on the site. . .

and my biggest peeve by far is a trivial little thing that i am really hating nonetheless. . . the quick navigation function is no longer quick. . . instead of clicking on the name of the sub-forum to return directly to it, you have to use the dropdown menu every time-- not a big deal, but it feels tremendously clunky. . .

Tned
03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Only real problem I've had is that my friend list was changed slightly?

I haven't even looked at the friend list (I don't have any friends :(). What's different/wrong with it?

Tned
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
the user names need to be bigger/bolder text-- right now it's no bigger than the text of the custom title. . .

it would be cool if the high five and quote could be buttons again, as opposed to just text. . .

the MHS button is nearly invisible against the background. . .

and my biggest peeve by far is a trivial little thing that i am really hating nonetheless. . . the quick navigation function is no longer quick. . . instead of clicking on the name of the sub-forum to return directly to it, you have to use the dropdown menu every time-- not a big deal, but it feels tremendously clunky. . .

We may be stuck with text for quote and high fives, but I'm definately hoping to get better colored icons that stand out more. The star for the hi-five is nearly invisible, so I'm hoping to get a little salute image made or something like that.

Username definately could use some increasting. I think in a number of areas the fonts seem small to me. Even on the list of threads.

I'm not sure I'm following on the quick navigation. If you are on the normal (not mobile) site, you can simply click on the name of the forum in the bread crumbs (Forums >> Football Forums >> Broncos Talk), which is what I normally did. So I might be missing what you are talking about/how you did it. Where are you saying you can't click on the name of the forum? Do you mean the quick navigation at the bottom of the list of threads? I'll take a look at that, I never use it.

claymore
03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Tned, do a restore to the old site. Its not to late. I wont bitch about Tebow anymore. :(

dogfish
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
We may be stuck with text for quote and high fives, but I'm definately hoping to get better colored icons that stand out more. The star for the hi-five is nearly invisible, so I'm hoping to get a little salute image made or something like that.

Username definately could use some increasting. I think in a number of areas the fonts seem small to me. Even on the list of threads.

I'm not sure I'm following on the quick navigation. If you are on the normal (not mobile) site, you can simply click on the name of the forum in the bread crumbs (Forums >> Football Forums >> Broncos Talk), which is what I normally did. So I might be missing what you are talking about/how you did it. Where are you saying you can't click on the name of the forum? Do you mean the quick navigation at the bottom of the list of threads? I'll take a look at that, I never use it.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7908/bfscreenshot.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/bfscreenshot.jpg/)

example: nine times out of ten, when i'm done reading or posting in a thread, i want to return to the sub-forum that thread's located in (lounge, town hall, draft, whatever). . . on the old site, i would simply click on "broncos talk" (or the "go" button next to it, can't remember) to return directly to that forum-- only using the dropdown when i wanted to go to a different sub-forum. . . on the new site that's not possible-- even when i click "broncos talk," it brings up the dropdown and i have to scroll and select the sub-forum. . .

like i said, obviously not a huge deal-- it just feels horribly clunky since i can't navigate as quickly or smoothly as the old site. . .

claymore
03-07-2012, 12:13 PM
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7908/bfscreenshot.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/bfscreenshot.jpg/)

example: nine times out of ten, when i'm done reading or posting in a thread, i want to return to the sub-forum that thread's located in (lounge, town hall, draft, whatever). . . on the old site, i would simply click on "broncos talk" (or the "go" button next to it, can't remember) to return directly to that forum-- only using the dropdown when i wanted to go to a different sub-forum. . . on the new site that's not possible-- even when i click "broncos talk," it brings up the dropdown and i have to scroll and select the sub-forum. . .

like i said, obviously not a huge deal-- it just feels horribly clunky since i can't navigate as quickly or smoothly as the old site. . .

The Old site was a sports car, this is a schoolbus with flat tires.

dogfish
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Tned, do a restore to the old site. Its not to late. I wont bitch about Tebow anymore. :(

this alone would probably be worth it. . .

also, the multi-quote button needs to be a different color as well as the MHS

gnomeflinger
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Must... resist... derailing thread.....

Tned
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
this alone would probably be worth it. . .

also, the multi-quote button needs to be a different color as well as the MHS

Yea, all the buttons/icons at the bottom of the posts need to be recreated.

NightTerror218
03-07-2012, 12:28 PM
My only comment is that the icons next to the threads are a little big and busy. A little hard to read the thread titles. Could be me just not use to it.

weazel
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
is there still a user cp type of thing?

Slick
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Have you tried the mobile site Tned? I followed your instructions from the other thread and all i get is a blank white page when it finishes loading after I select Mobile from the drop down menu. If I try the mobile site from the desktop here at the shop it works fine. Maybe it's something with my phone.

BroncoJoe
03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Ok, we are upgraded. As I posted in the other thread, there are still some kinks that need to be worked out and there are some upgrade tasks running in the background that will impact performance thoughout the day.

vBulletin 4 is quite a bit different than vBulletin 3, so things look different and in some cases work different.

I will start working on a cheat sheet of the changes between VB 3 and VB 4, but in the meantime, ask any questions you have in this thread and anything you see that doesn't look right, looks broken or you would like different, post in this thread and I will compile a list and fix/change what we can.

One quick note. There is no longer a "User CP" link. Now, to see the things that used to be in the User CP (subscribed threads, PMs, MHS messages, etc.) click the "Settings" link in the upper left near the logout button.

UPDATE 1: The mobile.broncosforums.com feature is not currently working and may not work in the future. The way I did that isn't supported in vB4. However, if you go to the site on mobile phone and then go to the bottom left of the page, you can change the style to the Mobile style which is much better and full featured than the old mobile style/site.

:shocked:

Tned
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
is there still a user cp type of thing?

It is now called "settings" and is at the upper right, near your user name. It's the same as old user CP.

Tned
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Have you tried the mobile site Tned? I followed your instructions from the other thread and all i get is a blank white page when it finishes loading after I select Mobile from the drop down menu. If I try the mobile site from the desktop here at the shop it works fine. Maybe it's something with my phone.

I'm posting on it now. I'll check the support forum to see if it is a blackberry issue and see what other options there are.

OrangeHoof
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Thank you. I agree. I have to squint to see who the poster is.

Buff
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I also liked the "New Posts" button. Not sure if we can bring that back.

(As one click, instead of two)

Slick
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm posting on it now. I'll check the support forum to see if it is a blackberry issue and see what other options there are.

Thank you.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM

In regards to clay stating to do a restore to the old site. This change is a drastic change. Is there a way where the site could have remained the same, and things that were needed - security, things for mobile phones, whatever was really needed, could just not have been incorporated in the V Bulletin version that was being used?

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Support for the old version of the software has reached EOL (End Of Life), so Tned had no choice but to do this. :)

Tned
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
In regards to clay stating to do a restore to the old site. This change is a drastic change. Is there a way where the site could have remained the same, and things that were needed - security, things for mobile phones, whatever was really needed, could just not have been incorporated in the V Bulletin version that was being used?

Nope, but that's why I've put this upgrade off for nearly two years (two football seasons). I paid for the upgrade before the 2010 season, but never upgraded it, because I knew a lot of people were comfortable and would struggle to adjust. It just didn't make sense to keep putting it off. All of the vB development focus is on VB4, such as a much improved mobile site, improved editor, and much, much more.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Support for the old version of the software has reached EOL (End Of Life), so Tned had no choice but to do this. :)

When you say support for the old version of the software has reached EOL, does that mean if BF went down, there would be no way to get it back up?

Tned
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I also liked the "New Posts" button. Not sure if we can bring that back.

(As one click, instead of two)

Once you are in the forum area, then there is a "New Post" button on the sub menu (second row of links in the navbar). As long as you stay within the "Forum" area of the site, the "New Posts" button will stay there and you can keep hitting it. Also, "What's New" basically accomplishes the same thing, but it would also show new blogs and other content if we start using those areas.

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
When you say support for the old version of the software has reached EOL, does that mean if BF went down, there would be no way to get it back up?
No, thankfully. But security exploits and things like that are no longer patched in the old version, and there is always someone out there looking for ways to hack a forum. The developers do help when something goes wrong, but they're getting less and less interested in doing so.

Thnikkaman
03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Similarly, nobody runs Windows 95 or 98 due to the same issues.

I won't miss Clay though.

BroncoJoe
03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Similarly, nobody runs Windows 95 or 98 due to the same issues.

I won't miss Clay though.

I still have 3.1.

Tned
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I still have 3.1.

3.11 was far superior.

Thnikkaman
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
3.11 was far superior.

OS/2 Warp for the win.

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
:laugh: Geeks

claymore
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Carol, PM me your email address so we can keep in contact in case this migration isnt successful,

Youre most humblest servant,
Clayton

Tned
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
:laugh: Geeks

Yea, I was on my phone before thinking, "we aren't only geeks, but we are old geeks" :eek:

NightTerror218
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Yea, I was on my phone before thinking, "we aren't only geeks, but we are old geeks" :eek:

Do you remember when the internet first started? Where you there when Apple first came out? How many "dinosaurs" do you have in your closet?

DenBronx
03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
@clay

I agree....I like the old one much better.

Buff
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Things seems to be running sporadically slower today. Getting more page loading delays than usual.

FanInAZ
03-07-2012, 02:11 PM
It will defiantly take some adjustment. The buttons at the bottom of the posts defiantly need to stand out more by making them bigger and a brighter color. I just experimented with the insert image feature, and it worked perfectly. The insert video, I had to back out of because it wasn’t doing anything.

Tned
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Things seems to be running sporadically slower today. Getting more page loading delays than usual.

We've got a few threads going, I've mentioned it one or two of them. I think there are still some background upgrade tasks going on. The server load (for those familiar with this concept) typically runs .2 to .6, and have been bouncing between 1.5 and 6.00 from early AM to now. Once the load settles down to, speed should return to normal.

Thnikkaman
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Video has been working for me so far. Here's a Vimeo hosted vid.

http://vimeo.com/38007295

Tned
03-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Slick, I did some research on this. There seems to be two things that can block the use of the mobile site. It uses jQuery to make it work slicker, so you have to have jscript enabled on your phone. Also, I know on Safari and some of the browsers if you have their private browser setting turned on, it will show a blank, white screen. I don't know if Blackberry has a private browser setting.

Assuming you have jscript/java script enabled and don't have private browsing enabled, then try clearing your browser cache on your phone.

Those were the three things I found related to the white screen on the mobile style.

FanInAZ
03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Do you remember when the internet first started? Where you there when Apple first came out? How many "dinosaurs" do you have in your closet?

I was in 6th grade when our principle brought each class, one at a time, in to a room to “show & tell” about our school’s very first Apple computer. He used the game "Organ Trail" to demonstrate it.

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
One of the easier tasks that is now done. It's bigger but not bolder; it basically mimicks what the old board had. If you or anyone else needs it to be bolder, it's a quick fix.

It's the Broncos Forums, not Utopia.

OrangeHoof
03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Font size for posters names is now fixed. Thank you. It looks much neater.

There seems to be an extra blank field whenever a High Five is posted. I haven't noticed yet what happens when there are so many High Fives that extends to a second line.

Tned
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Font size for posters names is now fixed. Thank you. It looks much neater.

There seems to be an extra blank field whenever a High Five is posted. I haven't noticed yet what happens when there are so many High Fives that extends to a second line.

I'll have to find a post with a whole bunch of Hi-Fives and check it. I never get many :sniff: :sniff:, so I'll have to look at someone else's highly high-fived post.

slim
03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll have to find a post with a whole bunch of Hi-Fives and check it. I never get many :sniff: :sniff:, so I'll have to look at someone else's highly high-fived post.

Just do a quick search for my posts :coffee:

Buff
The usernames that show up in the "Last Posted By" column in the lounge are excessively large. Could probably take that font down a notch or two.

claymore
Tned,

Mo is coming across as a bigger piss hole than usual. Is that because of the upgrade?

Tned
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Tned,

Clay is coming across as a bigger piss hole than usual. Is that because of the upgrade?

Corrected for accuracy...

dogfish
03-07-2012, 03:03 PM
lol. . . i like how you changed the "settings" to "user CP". . .

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
lol. . . i like how you changed the "settings" to "user CP". . .
:D It seemed to be causing the most confusion at the time.

The usernames that show up in the "Last Posted By" column in the lounge are excessively large. Could probably take that font down a notch or two.
Dagnabbit! :banghead: That's one of the headaches of the new code. Some things affect others. While it's reasonable to do that in many cases, some things should remain independent for the very reason you see happening right now! I'll get it fixed soon as I can.

Magnificent Seven
03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Could you change from High Five to Mile High Salute?

Tned
03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Could you change from High Five to Mile High Salute?

No, Hi-Five is correct. The terms we have always used is a High Five for the names that appear below a person's post and Mile High Salute or MHS is what you can give and send someone a message (what vBulletin calls a Reputation message).

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
The little star icon that's too hard to see is the MHS. :)

Tned
03-07-2012, 03:10 PM
The little star icon that's too hard to see is the MHS. :)

Correct. I'll get new icons made as soon as I can that are easier to see. In the meantime, I might put our ugly, saluting icon back.

Slick
03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Slick, I did some research on this. There seems to be two things that can block the use of the mobile site. It uses jQuery to make it work slicker, so you have to have jscript enabled on your phone. Also, I know on Safari and some of the browsers if you have their private browser setting turned on, it will show a blank, white screen. I don't know if Blackberry has a private browser setting.

Assuming you have jscript/java script enabled and don't have private browsing enabled, then try clearing your browser cache on your phone.

Those were the three things I found related to the white screen on the mobile style.

I did have javascript enabled so I tried clearing the cache, then the cookies, then the history, and still getting a blank white screen. Thanks for investigating ths Tned. I'll keep trying it.

If I remember correctly we were eligable to upgrade our phones after having our plan for a year and we are at the year mark this month. Estela and I have been discussing upgrading to Galaxies or Iphones. Your vbulletin upgrade may have just given me the excuse I needed to shitcan this Blackberry.

dogfish
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Correct. I'll get new icons made as soon as I can that are easier to see. In the meantime, I might put our ugly, saluting icon back.

high-fives aren't working for me, including the one i tried to leave on this post. . .

Magnificent Seven
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
No, Hi-Five is correct. The terms we have always used is a High Five for the names that appear below a person's post and Mile High Salute or MHS is what you can give and send someone a message (what vBulletin calls a Reputation message).

Ok, thanks.

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
high-fives aren't working for me, including the one i tried to leave on this post. . .
Which browser (and version of it) are you using? OS?

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Is there anyway we can get the new post page to display the entire thread title? It's cutting off a lot of the title it seems.

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Can you describe what you mean by 'new post page'? It can mean a few different things to me.

Tned
03-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Is there anyway we can get the new post page to display the entire thread title? It's cutting off a lot of the title it seems.

If you mean the list of threads after you click "New Posts" then I believe the only time the thread titles get cut off is if your browser window is to small to show the title, date, user, etc.

Is that what you mean? See if it is fixed when you make your browser wider. Also, what browser and operating system are you using?

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 04:16 PM
The page that comes up when I hit the "new posts" button/link.

chazoe60
03-07-2012, 04:17 PM
If you mean the list of threads after you click "New Posts" then I believe the only time the thread titles get cut off is if your browser window is to small to show the title, date, user, etc.

Is that what you mean? See if it is fixed when you make your browser wider. Also, what browser and operating system are you using?

I'm on my iphone. That's what I'm on 99% of the time. It could be on my end then? Okay. No biggie.

Tned
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm on my iphone. That's what I'm on 99% of the time. It could be on my end then? Okay. No biggie.

Yea, that's the problem. The other option is to use the mobile style. It's much more full featured than the old one. At the very bottom left of every page there is a drop down box where you can switch to the mobile style/site.

OrangeHoof
03-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Tned, I get the same problem discussed above while on my home computer using the latest Firefox and Windows 7. When I click on "new posts", I get a list of thread topics, as usual, but the entire name of the thread title is chopped off at the end of the field (such as:"My sources say the Broncos will field a") so any long-winded thread titles are abbreviated. Even if I increase the size of the window, the title still stops in the same place even if the font size expands it to two lines rather than one.

Tned
03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Tned, I get the same problem discussed above while on my home computer using the latest Firefox and Windows 7. When I click on "new posts", I get a list of thread topics, as usual, but the entire name of the thread title is chopped off at the end of the field (such as:"My sources say the Broncos will field a" so any long-winded thread titles are abbreviated. Even if I increase the size of the window, the title still stops in the same place even if the font size expands it to two lines rather than one.

I'll look at it with Firefox.

weazel
03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
is there a way to change the cell padding and cell spacing?? the list of threads is far too tight and compacted, makes it hard to read. I love the old style, it had alot more "white space"

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Tned, I get the same problem discussed above while on my home computer using the latest Firefox and Windows 7. When I click on "new posts", I get a list of thread topics, as usual, but the entire name of the thread title is chopped off at the end of the field (such as:"My sources say the Broncos will field a") so any long-winded thread titles are abbreviated. Even if I increase the size of the window, the title still stops in the same place even if the font size expands it to two lines rather than one.
Which version of Firefox are you using?? I have 10.0.2 and don't see anything like that.

Slick
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Seems to be working fine here at work. I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and I've tried both Firefox and Chrome. I'm seeing the little changes as you make them. Good stuff.

Slick
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Oh, I suggest making a little more space where the Join date/Location, etc. is. ...Meaning, don't have it so close to the border so that especially the location can stay on one line. It just looks weird.

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
It's incredible how much micro-managing there is to this version. This is literally all I've been doing since 11:30pm last night, with a 3-hour nap and some desktop dining.

Buff
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
It's incredible how much micro-managing there is to this version. This is literally all I've been doing since 11:30pm last night, with a 3-hour nap and some desktop dining.

You could probably get more done if you'd quit bragging about how hard you've been working.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Is there a way to reduce the width of the orange spaces in between the different areas, where it may add some width then to the thread/post areas?

Also, I am looking at the last posts in the Denver Nuggets thread. Towards the bottom of the page it states - Similar Threads - the threads listed there have nothing to do with basketball. It has threads with the word official in it, as does the thread which created the Nuggets thread. Can the similar thread feature be removed from V Bulletin?

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 05:50 PM
You could probably get more done if you'd quit bragging about how hard you've been working.
That was uncalled for. I was responding to Slick's statement:
I'm seeing the little changes as you make them. Good stuff.Simply making conversation regarding the little changes. You're conclusion that I'm bragging is a bit small-minded really.

OrangeHoof
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Which version of Firefox are you using?? I have 10.0.2 and don't see anything like that.

I'm also on 10.0.2 for Firefox. I got the full thread titles under the old VBulletin software yesterday.

And with the last log-in, the usernames have shrunk back to the original size. But, I can scroll up the thread and the usernames are the larger size. J hope this doesn't turn into one of those either/or settings where you have to accept one thing screwed up so you don't have something else screwed up.

NightTerror218
03-07-2012, 05:53 PM
That was uncalled for. I was responding to Slick's statement:Simply making conversation regarding the little changes. You're conclusion that I'm bragging is a bit small-minded really.

you could be busy for some time. Old timer dont like change. Good thing I am not old.

OrangeHoof
03-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Testing, 1,2,3...

Crazy. I just tried you on IE instead of Firefox and the font for usernames looks right (still smaller on Firefox). The thread titles are still chopped off on IE, so it is not just FF.

Now, I've just hit refresh and the username fonts are fixed again. Weird.

slim
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
That was uncalled for. I was responding to Slick's statement:Simply making conversation regarding the little changes. You're conclusion that I'm bragging is a bit small-minded really.

LOL.

I think he was just joking around.

Rick
03-07-2012, 07:36 PM
The inner thread look is ok but part of the problem, not your fault just what you were dealt with,is I think the main forum index doesn't look to hot with the large orange flat headers.

I would spruce it up a bit with some images if you can, I am not proposing to buy a skin but here is a link to a live demo of a site with some forum and thread headers. Doing something similar might spruce the look up a little. http://www.completevb.com/demovb4/forum.php?styleid=9

Tned
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Is there a way to reduce the width of the orange spaces in between the different areas, where it may add some width then to the thread/post areas?

Also, I am looking at the last posts in the Denver Nuggets thread. Towards the bottom of the page it states - Similar Threads - the threads listed there have nothing to do with basketball. It has threads with the word official in it, as does the thread which created the Nuggets thread. Can the similar thread feature be removed from V Bulletin?

But on the flipside I was looking at a thread about Peyton Manning and all of the similar threads were links to either news items (news forum or twitter feed) or threads about Manning.

Let's let things settle out a bit and see what's working well and what isn't, before we start disabling features.

DenBronx
03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Ok one thing that is really irritating is the little pop up box that ask if you want to stay or leave the page. It's just one extra step you have to take after you have already given the command to leave the page. Is there anyway that can be taken off?

MOtorboat
03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
It's a little clunky using the browser on my Android, but now that I have a chance to use my iPad, I think it's great.

BroncoBJ
03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
To be honest with you, I don't like it. But then again, I hate changes and after being so use to how the site looked, it will take time. Just like every time, any site is changed. :lol: So we'll see how long it takes me to get used to this one. :fight:

MOtorboat
03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Once some of the small graphic issues get fixed (icons, buttons and such) I think it's going to look pretty good.

Tned
03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Ok one thing that is really irritating is the little pop up box that ask if you want to stay or leave the page. It's just one extra step you have to take after you have already given the command to leave the page. Is there anyway that can be taken off?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I haven't been getting a popup anywhere. What page? When are you getting it?

DenBronx
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
If I arrow back and sometimes it's been glitching up even when I try and post a reply.

It never did it on the old site. It's a white pop up box and then you have to go click on it to give it a command.

lgenf
03-07-2012, 09:43 PM
So the new version takes some getting use to huh?

Looks good though

MOtorboat
03-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I haven't been getting a popup anywhere. What page? When are you getting it?

So, hopefully this is OK, I went ahead and wrote a blog so that you could see what that looks like....

cbiweb
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
That popup happens when you've taken action to post a new thread or reply, then click away from the page without submitting the post. It's a nice courtesy, and a safety catch in case someone accidentally does something that would take them away from their post in progress. And nobody likes losing a post before they're ready to submit it.

Tned
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
If I arrow back and sometimes it's been glitching up even when I try and post a reply.

It never did it on the old site. It's a white pop up box and then you have to go click on it to give it a command.

Ok, I know what you are talking about. That should only happen if you've clicked reply (or new post) typed something and then hit the back arrow or otherwise try and leave the page.

It's there as a feature because vBulletin users requested it to avoid losing long posts when you accidentally left the page.

Tned
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
That popup happens when you've taken action to post a new thread or reply, then click away from the page without submitting the post. It's a nice courtesy, and a safety catch in case someone accidentally does something that would take them away from their post in progress. And nobody likes losing a post before they're ready to submit it.

You beat me to it. :)

karnage
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Love the new layout! Great job!

FanInAZ
03-07-2012, 11:35 PM

I've accidently done that on a few occasions and lost a lot of work because of it. I defiantly appreciate a safety feature like that.

Tned
03-07-2012, 11:54 PM
I've accidently done that on a few occasions and lost a lot of work because of it. I defiantly appreciate a safety feature like that.

Between browser crashes (IE 8 going white and locking up) or sometimes stupidly clicking off the page or hitting backspace, thinking I was still in the edit box, I have lost more than a few LONG posts. I've gotten to the point whenever I am typing a long post, I copy it into notepad periodically. So, I like the "are you sure" check.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have notices, but every once in a while you will see a little yellow box/message popup on the bottom right corner of the editor when you are typing and it says "auto saved" or something like that.

If you do have a browser crash or leave by accident, when you come back to the same edit (like replying to a PM for example), it will have a button at the bottom of the editor asking if you want to restore the auto saved text.

Buff
03-07-2012, 11:58 PM
It'd be cool if you could pick some less conspicuous colors for the work friendly version. All the blue headers/dividers kind of stand out.

FanInAZ
03-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Between browser crashes (IE 8 going white and locking up) or sometimes stupidly clicking off the page or hitting backspace, thinking I was still in the edit box, I have lost more than a few LONG posts. I've gotten to the point whenever I am typing a long post, I copy it into notepad periodically. So, I like the "are you sure" check.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have notices, but every once in a while you will see a little yellow box/message popup on the bottom right corner of the editor when you are typing and it says "auto saved" or something like that.

If you do have a browser crash or leave by accident, when you come back to the same edit (like replying to a PM for example), it will have a button at the bottom of the editor asking if you want to restore the auto saved text.

I copy & paste to Word not only to guard against this, but also to use the spell & grammar check so my post are more coherent.

Canmore
03-08-2012, 01:54 AM
I have been getting a number of Internal Server Errors, both selecting threads and refreshing the page. Wouldn't you know it, I got it trying to post this.

Canmore
03-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Something I've noticed, next to notifications there is a down arrow that to me would indicate you have a message, but when I check there is nothing. Is this how it always will be or does the arrow mean something.

Canmore
03-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Something I would like on my wish list. I don't know how others feel, but I like to see who's on line and I use the New Posts screen most of the time. Would it be possible to put a who's on line list at the bottom of the page or pages like it is on most other screens?

DenBronx
03-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Ok, I know what you are talking about. That should only happen if you've clicked reply (or new post) typed something and then hit the back arrow or otherwise try and leave the page.

It's there as a feature because vBulletin users requested it to avoid losing long posts when you accidentally left the page.

I hate it....it's like the annoying seatbelt tone if you dont put it on fast enough.

DenBronx
03-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Most everything else is looking really nice though.

cbiweb
03-08-2012, 06:38 AM
I hate it....it's like the annoying seatbelt tone if you dont put it on fast enough.
The best way to avoid it is to not start a post you won't finish. ;)

claymore
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM

****, I didnt realize you were from Canada. This changes thing.

claymore
03-08-2012, 08:34 AM

And... How come there is 3.5 inches separating posts? Older version was more compact and tighter. This style is to thick and fluffy on all the Borders n stuff.

cbiweb
03-08-2012, 08:41 AM
****, I didnt realize you were from Canada. This changes thing.
I was born and raised in NY, and I have a brother in Texas. We're almost neighbors. Does that make it better?

And... How come there is 3.5 inches separating posts? Older version was more compact and tighter. This style is to thick and fluffy on all the Borders n stuff.
Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? I'm not seeing anything like that. What are you using to browse the forums?

BroncoJoe
03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Question - some websites have the little box on the left that scrolls with you, typically having links to Facebook, their home page etc. Is that something that could be on here too, but with New Posts, UserCP, etc. on it?

Lancane
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Question - some websites have the little box on the left that scrolls with you, typically having links to Facebook, their home page etc. Is that something that could be on here too, but with New Posts, UserCP, etc. on it?

Great Idea Joe!

DenBronx
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Yeah but I never had to worry about that before.

Will take some getting used to.

Also the post quick reply is getting be confused with the reply with quote because the quick reply was always at the very end of a thread or at the top.

And now to go advanced you have to click on the function after you already clicked on reply with a quote. Again, one extra step...

cbiweb
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah but I never had to worry about that before.

Will take some getting used to.

Also the post quick reply is getting be confused with the reply with quote because the quick reply was always at the very end of a thread or at the top.

And now to go advanced you have to click on the function after you already clicked on reply with a quote. Again, one extra step...

Old Board:
Reply to Thread button was at top and bottom of threads.
--> clicking it took you to Advanced Reply mode on a new page with full set of formatting icons
Quick Reply button was in the lower right corner of each post.
--> clicking it took you to the bottom of the page, to the editor with limited formatting icons.
Reply with Quote button was also in the lower right corner of each post.
--> clicking it took you to Advanced Reply mode with full set of formatting icons, with quoted text inserted
Go Advanced button was underneath the Quick Reply editor.
--> clicking it took you to Advanced Reply mode with full set of formatting icons. (FYI, you had to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to it, or you'd have to click Quick Reply, then click Go Advanced.

Here's what changed, with the changes shown in yellow:

New Board:
Reply to Thread button is at top and bottom of threads.
--> clicking it takes you to the bottom of the page to Quick Reply.
--> double clicking it takes you to Advanced Reply mode on a new page with full set of formatting icons.
Quick Reply button (now called Reply) is in the lower right corner of each post.
--> clicking it opens QR directly below the post you are replying to, with limited formatting icons. No jumping to the bottom; you actually stay right where you are, at that post.
Reply with Quote button is also in the lower right corner of each post.
--> clicking it opens the message editor directly below the post you are replying to, with the quoted text inserted. Again, no jumping to the bottom; you actually stay right where you are, at that post.
--> double clicking it takes you to Advanced Reply modeon a new page with full set of formatting icons, with the quoted text inserted.
Go Advanced button is underneath the Quick Reply editor.
--> clicking it takes you to Advanced Reply mode on a new page, with full set of formatting icons. (You do not need to go to the bottom of the page to get to it. It's already there once you click Reply or Reply With Quote)

As you can see, the location of each button hasn't changed , so I don't know where your confusion comes in on that point.
The behavior of each button has some changes, but for the good, and they avoid extra steps rather than create them.

BigDaddyBronco
03-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Tned, I can't handle change, Please ban me forever.

- Claymore

Tned
03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I have been getting a number of Internal Server Errors, both selecting threads and refreshing the page. Wouldn't you know it, I got it trying to post this.

Last night I had the server support guys doing some optimization of SQL and Apache to better run with VB4. More than likely it was related to that. Let me know if you see it more.

By the way, I'm also talking to the datacenter where I have the server about upgrading to a faster processor and faster drives. I'm leaving on a business trip next Thursday, but when I get back I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that.

Something I would like on my wish list. I don't know how others feel, but I like to see who's on line and I use the New Posts screen most of the time. Would it be possible to put a who's on line list at the bottom of the page or pages like it is on most other screens?

Most of the screens have a list of who's in that particular thread, and then the forum index has a list of everyone on the site. I'm not sure how straight forward (or if it would impact performance) to add that to a search result page.

Rick
03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I can't say I love the look of the site, mainly the main index, but functionally I have had no problems, I think it is working fine.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Forgive me if I don't check the entire thread...

Is it possible there's a slight refresh issue on thread updates?

I was monitoring the mock draft thread and "missed" a couple posts... I blew it off that maybe I just didn't see them and posted in the thread that I missed them... I just saw a post in the thread from Ilands that he was monitoring the thread and didn't see that he was next up...

So now it's either two of us that are blind or...

I know... it's probably us... lol

BORDERLINE
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
for some reason this site is slow at times And sometimes never wants to come up. Is this because all the new changes or is it just my MEXICAN internet??

Slick
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
for some reason this site is slow at times And sometimes never wants to come up. Is this because all the new changes or is it just my MEXICAN internet??

If you have Telmex then it is your internet, Border. Telmex blows. Slim needs to spend some of his money upgrading his lines instead of restoring old buildings in Mexico City.

BORDERLINE
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
If you have Telmex then it is your internet, Border. Telmex blows. Slim needs to spend some of his money upgrading his lines instead of restoring old buildings in Mexico City.

No. It's Infinitum. It's pretty good in my eyes just that this site after the upgrade is super slow. But who knows

Slick
03-09-2012, 11:05 AM
No. It's Infinitum. It's pretty good in my eyes just that this site after the upgrade is super slow. But who knows

Infinitum is Telmex.

Try doing a speed test at speedtest.net. I've noticed infinitum speeds vary greatly throughout the day.

BORDERLINE
03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Infinitum is Telmex.

Try doing a speed test at speedtest.net. I've noticed infinitum speeds vary greatly throughout the day.

Infinitum is telmex? didn't know that. I'll try that speed test. If the website starts running slow again to see if it's the site or my internet.

Slick
03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Infinitum is telmex? didn't know that. I'll try that speed test. If the website starts running slow again to see if it's the site or my internet.

I got so tired of their slow speeds here in Quintana Roo so I bought a 4g wifi hotspot device from Usacell. Works a lot better than the infinitum at the dive shop and at the house.

Tned said somewhere that they were doing backround stuff and that the Forums might be slower than usual for a little while so it might be that.

Buff
03-09-2012, 12:07 PM
When I go to "find latest posts" of an individual member, it displays the most recent 25 posts on the first page... But then when you go to the second page it stops listing them in chronological order... So, it shows my most recent 25 on the first page, then randomly skips to posts from 2010 and earlier when you click on page 2.

It seems like it should list them all in chronological order. I'm confused.

camdisco24
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Personally, I think the new look will grow on me pretty quick. Just takes some time to get used to.

I just have a question about something I use on another (non broncos) board... When they updated their software there was an option to link to your Facebook/TwitterLinkedIN, kinda like this one has the instant messenger option. Is it possible for us to have the ability to share our social media like that? I think it would be cool to follow some forum members, especially on Twitter. It would make for some good gameday "tweeting". Just curious!

Thanks for all you have done Tned and Tech guy!

Tned
03-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Personally, I think the new look will grow on me pretty quick. Just takes some time to get used to.

I just have a question about something I use on another (non broncos) board... When they updated their software there was an option to link to your Facebook/TwitterLinkedIN, kinda like this one has the instant messenger option. Is it possible for us to have the ability to share our social media like that? I think it would be cool to follow some forum members, especially on Twitter. It would make for some good gameday "tweeting". Just curious!

Yea, CBIweb made this possible and painless on my part.

This version of vBulletin has a facebook connect, where people can login via their Facebook account and not register here (or maybe it just makes the registration quicker). I wanted to get through the upgrade and have everything running smooth before trying some of those new features.

When I go to "find latest posts" of an individual member, it displays the most recent 25 posts on the first page... But then when you go to the second page it stops listing them in chronological order... So, it shows my most recent 25 on the first page, then randomly skips to posts from 2010 and earlier when you click on page 2.

It seems like it should list them all in chronological order. I'm confused.

I'll look. It might be defaulting to "relevancy" or something like that instead of date order. However, it's wierd that page 1 and 2+ are different. I'll see what I can find.

I got so tired of their slow speeds here in Quintana Roo so I bought a 4g wifi hotspot device from Usacell. Works a lot better than the infinitum at the dive shop and at the house.

Tned said somewhere that they were doing backround stuff and that the Forums might be slower than usual for a little while so it might be that.

I think everything should be stable now, but I know last night one of the system directories filled up (an out of control log file) and the server load spiked and the server was unresponsive for a little while.

Even though they tell me it's not necessary, I might reboot the server. It hasn't been rebooted in 156 days and since the /var directory filled up last night, it's been using some disk swap (which is slower than ram) even though the server has 5.6GB of RAM it's using for caching and it should reclaim that before going to disk.

Keep me posted on any slow downs or issues you guys see. Plus, I'm about 90% sure I am going to upgrade the server after my business trip. Hopefully, we don't sign Manning before then, so I will be ready for the huge spike when that happens. ;)

Tned
03-09-2012, 02:23 PM
I went ahead and just rebooted the server, so if anyone got errors/slowness over the last 5 minutes, or over the next 10-15 minutes, it's related to the reboot and all the services and stuff coming back online.

NightTerror218
03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I went ahead and just rebooted the server, so if anyone got errors/slowness over the last 5 minutes, or over the next 10-15 minutes, it's related to the reboot and all the services and stuff coming back online.

DUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!

Made me freak out. I thought worked might have just blocked BF for me.

cbiweb
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM

There's a background task that needs to run after a major upgrade, and it takes a solid 3-4 hours to run, and does affect server performance. It didn't complete when I ran it right after the upgrade, it crapped out about 3/4 of the way through. This board has over 1.5 million posts, which doesn't help (what's the deal with running such a popular forum, Tned? :lol: ). So the search results could very well be skewed because of that incomplete task. I'll be running it again overnight tonight if I remember to do it (forgot the past couple nights).

cbiweb
03-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I have started running the above mentioned task. You may experience some slow page loads or other similar effects for the next few hours.

MOtorboat
03-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I have started running the above mentioned task. You may experience some slow page loads or other similar effects for the next few hours.

You do realize that the biggest free agent in the history of the NFL is sitting in Denver at this moment, right?

Tned
03-09-2012, 10:57 PM
You do realize that the biggest free agent in the history of the NFL is sitting in Denver at this moment, right?

At most it should slightly slow things down. As there is unlikely to be any significant news announced today, it's much better to get this out of the way before free agency opens on Tuesday.

MOtorboat
03-09-2012, 11:54 PM
At most it should slightly slow things down. As there is unlikely to be any significant news announced today, it's much better to get this out of the way before free agency opens on Tuesday.

I was just messing with him, since it's been clearly established he has an A+ sense of humor...

Broncos Mtnman
03-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I didn't go through all of the posts, so this may have been covered.

I've noticed that the animated emoticons are no longer animated. Also, there's no emoticon menu any longer?

You do an awesome job, Tned!! :salute:

Tned
03-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I didn't go through all of the posts, so this may have been covered.

I've noticed that the animated emoticons are no longer animated. Also, there's no emoticon menu any longer?

You do an awesome job, Tned!! :salute:

The emoticon's haven't been brought up. This salute :salute: is animated. What browser are you using???

Also, when you choose to go to the advanced editor you still get the emoticons on the right and the "more" button. Also, if you click the smiley button in the quick browser (or advanced) it will pull pop up a smiley/emoticon chooser.

Broncos Mtnman
03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
The emoticon's haven't been brought up. This salute :salute: is animated. What browser are you using???

Also, when you choose to go to the advanced editor you still get the emoticons on the right and the "more" button. Also, if you click the smiley button in the quick browser (or advanced) it will pull pop up a smiley/emoticon chooser.

I use IE (latest version)

cbiweb
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I use IE (latest version)
There's your first problem. (*ducks & runs*)

Seriously, though, I switched over to IE9 to make this reply so I could check the smilie situation. In Quick Reply there is a smilie icon that brings up a window of smilies, as Tned mentioned. Also, in Advanced mode there is a smilie icon in the editor as well as a group of smilies off to the right, with a "more" link. Do you not see any of those?

Broncos Mtnman
03-10-2012, 08:39 PM
In Quick Reply, the smilie button is faded like like it's inactive. When I select it, I get a white screen.

I do see the group of smilies in advanced, but none of them are animated. I can select one of them, but when I post my reply, it's not animated either.

cbiweb
03-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Strange. I'll see what I can find out about that. Thanks for bringing it up.

Tned
03-10-2012, 10:09 PM
In Quick Reply, the smilie button is faded like like it's inactive. When I select it, I get a white screen.

I do see the group of smilies in advanced, but none of them are animated. I can select one of them, but when I post my reply, it's not animated either.

When you look at your post in this thread where you put the :salute: in (or this one I just did) is it animated? I see them as animated. Same thing when I click the smiley button in quick edit or look at the ones to the right in advanced. On this machine, I have IE8, but have IE9 on another machine, and Firefox (not sure version) on a third. All fine.

Broncos Mtnman
03-11-2012, 12:24 AM
When you look at your post in this thread where you put the :salute: in (or this one I just did) is it animated? I see them as animated. Same thing when I click the smiley button in quick edit or look at the ones to the right in advanced. On this machine, I have IE8, but have IE9 on another machine, and Firefox (not sure version) on a third. All fine.

Nope, it's not animated. I guess the problem could be on my side of things.

Broncos Mtnman
03-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Nope, it's not animated. I guess the problem could be on my side of things.

I just cleared cookies. I thought that might help, but it didn't.

Broncos Mtnman
03-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Hey Tned,

I just finished some research and found the problem. Turns out it was a setting under the internet options that somehow got unchecked.

If you come across it in the future....

Internet options - advanced tab - multi-media - check animations in webpages.

Thanks for the help.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Since we went to daylight savings time, my clock on BF is an hour behind.

Tned
03-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Hey Tned,

I just finished some research and found the problem. Turns out it was a setting under the internet options that somehow got unchecked.

If you come across it in the future....

Internet options - advanced tab - multi-media - check animations in webpages.

Thanks for the help.

Glad you found the answer. Thanks for letting me know.

Tned
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Since we went to daylight savings time, my clock on BF is an hour behind.

I just checked the server time and it's correct. Also, my last post showed the correct time. See if you are still having the problem. I'm not sure how often the server connects to a time server to update its clock, it might not have done so until early this AM.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 08:09 AM
I just checked the server time and it's correct. Also, my last post showed the correct time. See if you are still having the problem. I'm not sure how often the server connects to a time server to update its clock, it might not have done so until early this AM.

All the time quotes and the time at the bottom of the page are still an hour behind (Pacific Standard Time).

Tned
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
All the time quotes and the time at the bottom of the page are still an hour behind (Pacific Standard Time).

Check your settings and see if daylight settings time is set to automatic: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Click thumbnail below to see settings.

Canmore
03-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Check your settings and see if daylight settings time is set to automatic: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Click thumbnail below to see settings.

It is set to Automatically detect DST

Tned
03-12-2012, 08:24 AM
It is set to Automatically detect DST

Ok, maybe manually set it. Maybe it's having trouble getting the setting from your computer (which I think is how the automatic works). Mine is set to auto and my time is right.

Are you talking about the time in the footer that says: "All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM."

What does yours show, it should show GMT -7

Canmore
03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Ok, maybe manually set it. Maybe it's having trouble getting the setting from your computer (which I think is how the automatic works). Mine is set to auto and my time is right.

Are you talking about the time in the footer that says: "All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM."

What does yours show, it should show GMT -7

Beat you too it. I set it to manually detect dst and that solved the problem. I'll bother you in Nov to help me find this box to set it back lol.

cbiweb
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Beat you too it. I set it to manually detect dst and that solved the problem. I'll bother you in Nov to help me find this box to set it back lol.
My account is set to "Automatically detect DST settings", and it's working like it should. But I've always found vBulletin's time settings to be a little unreliable. On some boards I have to set it to "DST corrections always on". You're lucky if it's been fine for you up to now. Hopefully what you did will solve it for good, but if not, see you in November, lol.

DenBronx
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
When people give a High 5 I can see it when I click on UserCP at the top but I can't see their comments anymore when they give me a Mile High Salute. The High 5 is green and the MHS is gray but I can't see when they leave a comment like before.

cbiweb
03-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Are all your past MHS's commentless, or just a few recent ones? I just gave you one with a comment. Is it showing up for you?

DenBronx
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Are all your past MHS's commentless, or just a few recent ones? I just gave you one with a comment. Is it showing up for you?

None of the comments are showing for me.

Even from other posters.

DenBronx
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Actually, I take that back. Yours said MHS FTW!

But there's about 10 or so recent comments from other posters and it's all blank. Not sure why you were the only one that I was able to see the comment.

Maybe people are clicking on the MHS, thinking its a High 5???

Neither of them really stand out and I think the MHS at the top was a better option. Nor does the MHS even move. The hand is at the top and not automated. It just looks like a big orange glob/mess.

Traveler
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Without reading 11 pages of this thread, I'm getting accustomed to the new site. Having said that, I really do miss the "GO" button that was on the old site. Is there a one step method for return to the forum currently being viewed?

DenBronx
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Having big trouble posting today on here. Something about a site data base error.

I post and it freezes and gives me an error. Been doing this all day....

wayninja
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm getting DB errors too. When I attempt to resubmit, it says my post is a duplicate, but the original doesn't show up if I refresh.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Also getting vbulletin database errors... two of them chrome sent a message to the site admin... the last one created a vbulletin popup error and would only let me cancel out.

Also noticed that the main forum index is properly showing the last post in the draft forum but in the draft forum it's showing an old post as the last one.

DenBronx
03-15-2012, 10:15 PM
I think its everyone then. Cant post right away...takes several minutes to go through.

This is the only site im experiencing problems.

I messaged Tned about it.

Tned
03-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Without reading 11 pages of this thread, I'm getting accustomed to the new site. Having said that, I really do miss the "GO" button that was on the old site. Is there a one step method for return to the forum currently being viewed?

I had never used that functionality, so while it was mentioned earlier in this thread (Dog I think), that was the first I heard of it. My guess is that there will be no easy way to get that back, but I will check.

I think its everyone then. Cant post right away...takes several minutes to go through.

This is the only site im experiencing problems.

I messaged Tned about it.

Also getting vbulletin database errors... two of them chrome sent a message to the site admin... the last one created a vbulletin popup error and would only let me cancel out.

Also noticed that the main forum index is properly showing the last post in the draft forum but in the draft forum it's showing an old post as the last one.

Having big trouble posting today on here. Something about a site data base error.

I post and it freezes and gives me an error. Been doing this all day....

I'm getting DB errors too. When I attempt to resubmit, it says my post is a duplicate, but the original doesn't show up if I refresh.

By now you guys probably saw either my notice that was at the top of the page overnight and this morning, or the Town Hall thread. Somehow a table that is used for search functions (which includes "new posts" and "today's posts") became corrupt. I was in a meeting until fairly late, and once I got back to my hotel and realized what was going on, I worked on it until 3am or so. I'm pretty sure everything is back to normal and working ok. Let me know if anything else crops up.

dogfish
03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I had never used that functionality, so while it was mentioned earlier in this thread (Dog I think), that was the first I heard of it. My guess is that there will be no easy way to get that back, but I will check.

By now you guys probably saw either my notice that was at the top of the page overnight and this morning, or the Town Hall thread. Somehow a table that is used for search functions (which includes "new posts" and "today's posts") became corrupt. I was in a meeting until fairly late, and once I got back to my hotel and realized what was going on, I worked on it until 3am or so. I'm pretty sure everything is back to normal and working ok. Let me know if anything else crops up.

the mane still has it. . . don't they use vbulletin?

feels painfully slow surfing the site without it. . .

cbiweb
03-19-2012, 07:59 AM
The old version of vBulletin called it "Forum Jump". Now it's called "Quick Navigation". There is no Go button but the menu is still there. Click the menu, click the name of the forum you want, and you're there. It's only one extra click, so it shouldn't be all that painful. ;)

dogfish
03-19-2012, 05:11 PM
The old version of vBulletin called it "Forum Jump". Now it's called "Quick Navigation". There is no Go button but the menu is still there. Click the menu, click the name of the forum you want, and you're there. It's only one extra click, so it shouldn't be all that painful. ;)

no, i suppose not. . . your condescending tone is pretty annoying, though. . . :wave:

but yay for upgrades that decrease fuctionality!

cbiweb
03-19-2012, 06:41 PM
no, i suppose not. . . your condescending tone is pretty annoying, though. . . :wave:
Not quite as annoying as obsessing over one little ol' button. :ahhhhh::yo:

Tned
03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
the mane still has it. . . don't they use vbulletin?

feels painfully slow surfing the site without it. . .

Yea, the Mane does still have it. They are on a VERY old version of VB, maybe 6 or 7 years old. I'm pretty sure it's no longer supported for security updates, or things like the mobile apps, mobile styles and much more. Not sure if they haven't upgraded for money reasons or hassle.

When I get back from my current business trip I'll see if there is anyway to mimic the old jump to forum functionality.

cbiweb
03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
I've done a little hocus-pocus and brought the Go button back. It's not on the same line as the menu and Top button due to the way things are coded in that area, but I've made a note to myself to see if it can be changed when I get some time to spend with it.

edit: Alignment fixed. Wasn't as bad as I expected. :)

frauschieze
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey T, how come we can't post more than one video at a time?

gnomeflinger
03-21-2012, 11:27 PM
It's difficult to read the "advanced search" button. I didn't know what it was until I stumbled upon it. I know, another freaking petty thing to fuss over. :lol: Just trying to help. :D

Tned
03-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Since they added official support for adding videos (vs. the youtube BBcode hack), they probably put a limit in and defaulted it to one. Let me see if I can find/up it.

Tned
03-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Since they added official support for adding videos (vs. the youtube BBcode hack), they probably put a limit in and defaulted it to one. Let me see if I can find/up it.

Ok, I upped it to 5 videos. I would think that should be fine. Agreed?

Tned
04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I added a tab/link in the navigation bar to User CP. I know we all use it a lot and figured it would be more convenient to have it back near where it used to be.

frauschieze
04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I added a tab/link in the navigation bar to User CP. I know we all use it a lot and figured it would be more convenient to have it back near where it used to be.

A million high fives for this!