PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: Cutler's our quarterback

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
I feel this deserves it's own thread. The lady who wrote this article is on-site at these meetings, and she was there when McD said the following, which she confirmed this afternoon, when speaking with Alfred Williams on FM104.3thefan:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11981354

DANA POINT CALIF. - This morning Broncos coach Josh McDaniels restated that he - and the Broncos organization - is committed to keeping Jay Cutler as the team's quarterback.

"He's our quarterback," McDaniels said. "We're looking forward to getting him back. We're committed to him, and I'll continue to do what we can do to try to affect our relationship positively from this point forward."

McDaniels was the most popular of the 15 AFC coaches gathered for a breakfast with reporters at the NFL's annual league meetings here. McDaniels spoke for more than an hour, mostly about the ongoing saga with Cutler, who requested a trade nine days ago after the last face-to-face meeting between Cutler and Broncos officials failed.

McDaniels said that since he arrived here on Saturday no teams have approached him directly or called him directly to make a bid for Cutler.

"Nobody's contacted me. Nobody's called me. Nobody's text messaged me, nobody's e-mailed me, and nothing's going to happen on our football team unless it passes through me."

McDaniels did acknowledge that there has been interest in his quarterback, mostly communicated through general manager Brian Xanders.

"People have left messages, I can say that," McDaniels said.

But McDaniels still seems to consider a trade to be a last resort. He said he hopes to meet again with Cutler in person, preferably without any other parties - including Cutler's agent Bus Cook - involved.

"It's not an issue for an agent. That's all I say," McDaniels said. "We're not talking about contract. That's why I want to speak with the player."

But McDaniels also made it clear that Cutler will have to be willing to equally commit to a one-on-one meeting, something that so far Cutler has not accepted to do.

"One thing I want to do and continually want to do is meet with the player. I want to meet with the player by myself," McDaniels said. "I want to meet with the player one-on-one. I think that's the best way to fix any kind of issue. And if there's anything I would change, it would be the amount of time I've had to do that thus far."

When - if ever - the two do meet face-to-face, McDaniels likely won't completely eliminate any future possibility of a trade. McDaniels, when asked if Cutler would now be considered "untouchable," said he couldn't say that.

"I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that," McDaniels said. "Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

weazel
03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
might want to merge this with the other one

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2009, 06:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/index.html

More whispers from NFL meetings

News Item: I don't see Jay Cutler getting traded.

That's my feeling after talking to the involved parties for a (insert shameless plug here) Sports Illustrated story this week. Now, I can't say with conviction Cutler's going to be the Broncos' opening-day starter, but I do think coach Josh McDaniels will exhaust every avenue to try to get Cutler to stay, and I do think nothing's going to happen here. Funny thing is, around the lobby and meeting rooms, I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler.

"Say you're the Broncos, and Tampa Bay offers you two ones [two first-round picks] plus [second-year quarterback] Josh Johnson for Cutler,'' one NFC coach told me. "Denver makes the deal and picks a quarterback with one of the ones. You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts, too. Denver's problem is they could never get fair value for him.''

I called Charlie Weis, the Notre Dame coach and mentor of McDaniels, and asked what I considered the biggest question McDaniels must ask himself as he figures how far he'll go to keep Cutler: If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

"It's a rhetorical question, but it's one I definitely would ask,'' said Weis, who left the Patriots' for Notre Dame in 2005, ceding the offensive coordinator's role to McDaniels. "That thought would go through my mind. You've got to be able to coach a quarterback, and coach him hard. You don't want to start your relationship that way.

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision?''

Last week, the venom from the Cutler camp was so toxic I said I thought he'd have to be traded. But it was interesting here, listening to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speak to the body of league people (including McDaniels) and media here Sunday night. She talked at one point about how "history has a long arc,'' and how you have to take a long view of things. If you're always chasing the day's headlines, she said, you'll eventually become so reactionary you'll ignore long-term good for short-term satisfaction, and you'll fail. I was thinking of McDaniels and Denver management. I think, like Rice used to do in the Middle East, the Broncos will exhaust all diplomatic means. And with agent Bus Cook on record as saying Cutler will report to mandatory mini-camps and training camp, why trade the guy, there's certainly no reason to do anything fast ... even if that means you don't have a definitive answer on Cutler by draft day.

weazel
03-24-2009, 06:30 PM
nope, no Cutler trade. I told my buddy to keep his Brady Quinn card!

weazel
03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/index.html

That's my feeling after talking to the involved parties for a (insert shameless plug here) Sports Illustrated story this week. Now, I can't say with conviction Cutler's going to be the Broncos' opening-day starter, but I do think coach Josh McDaniels will exhaust every avenue to try to get Cutler to stay, and I do think nothing's going to happen here. Funny thing is, around the lobby and meeting rooms, I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler.

"Say you're the Broncos, and Tampa Bay offers you two ones [two first-round picks] plus [second-year quarterback] Josh Johnson for Cutler,'' one NFC coach told me. "Denver makes the deal and picks a quarterback with one of the ones. You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts, too. Denver's problem is they could never get fair value for him.''

I called Charlie Weis, the Notre Dame coach and mentor of McDaniels, and asked what I considered the biggest question McDaniels must ask himself as he figures how far he'll go to keep Cutler: If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

"It's a rhetorical question, but it's one I definitely would ask,'' said Weis, who left the Patriots' for Notre Dame in 2005, ceding the offensive coordinator's role to McDaniels. "That thought would go through my mind. You've got to be able to coach a quarterback, and coach him hard. You don't want to start your relationship that way.

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision?''

Last week, the venom from the Cutler camp was so toxic I said I thought he'd have to be traded. But it was interesting here, listening to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speak to the body of league people (including McDaniels) and media here Sunday night. She talked at one point about how "history has a long arc,'' and how you have to take a long view of things. If you're always chasing the day's headlines, she said, you'll eventually become so reactionary you'll ignore long-term good for short-term satisfaction, and you'll fail. I was thinking of McDaniels and Denver management. I think, like Rice used to do in the Middle East, the Broncos will exhaust all diplomatic means. And with agent Bus Cook on record as saying Cutler will report to mandatory mini-camps and training camp, why trade the guy, there's certainly no reason to do anything fast ... even if that means you don't have a definitive answer on Cutler by draft day.

interesting read

BroncoJoe
03-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Exactly.

EMB6903
03-24-2009, 06:36 PM
the news keeps on getting better.

WARHORSE
03-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Rich Eisen said McDaniels said that he and Cutler spoke in the last couple of days.

I like the sound of it.

Holding up the Cutler throwback jersey and all.

Thats gonna help dude.

If he works it out........ALL IS FORGIVEN.:salute:

weazel
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I like when he say's that a coach can't bow down to a QB. He's absolutely right, you can't start that relationship that way, Cutler would have less respect for him than he does now.

weazel
03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
yeah, someone has to be the bigger man. Cutler will have to go back to directing his childish attitude at Phillip Rivers again.

WARHORSE
03-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Its up to the F.O. to bury the sword.

Cutler is way too competitive to sit at home or on the sidelines while theres football being played.

tomjonesrocks
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM

"Say you're the Broncos, and Tampa Bay offers you two ones [two first-round picks] plus [second-year quarterback] Josh Johnson for Cutler,'' one NFC coach t old me. "Denver makes the deal and picks a quarterback with one of the ones. You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts, too. Denver's problem is they could never get fair value for him.''

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making. such a huge career decision?''

I posted this ages ago and Jr merged it pointlessly into a totally unrelated Simms thread. Maybe for you he'll keep it separate.

Simple Jaded
03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
yeah, someone has to be the bigger man. Cutler will have to go back to directing his childish attitude at Phillip Rivers again.

Childish? I love irony.

Some people choose to obsess over the fact that Cutler didn't say what they want in the right tone of voice, others blame the coach for starting this whirlpool of BS in the first place.......but I think both sides can agree that the only way this gets fixed is if Cutler lets the Broncos off the hook.

If this contradiction is Doogie's idea of a commitment then Jay Cutler is the only chance Denver has of coming out the other side a better team.

Don't worry though, however this turns out you will still have plenty of opportunities to direct your childish attitude towards Cutler.......

WARHORSE
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Heh heh.

horsepig
03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
eeWhat in the heck is going on with this whole thing? The coach makes a few kind of "Jay's our guy" statements, Bowlen says he can't remeber the last time he changed his shorts, Jay says, "I'm a whiny baby.", and the general manager/front office basically says nothing!

Everyone intimately involved in this situation seems to not realize WHO foots the bill here.

Buff
03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Childish? I love irony.

Some people choose to obsess over the fact that Cutler didn't say what they want in the right tone of voice, others blame the coach for starting this whirlpool of BS in the first place.......but I think both sides can agree that the only way this gets fixed is if Cutler lets the Broncos off the hook.

If this contradiction is Doogie's idea of a commitment then Jay Cutler is the only chance Denver has of coming out the other side a better team.

Don't worry though, however this turns out you will still have plenty of opportunities to direct your childish attitude towards Cutler.......

Cutler isn't "letting the Broncos off the hook." That would imply that he has some other option besides honoring his multi-million $$ contract. He doesn't. He can go pout at home and forfeit his fortune because his boss hurt his feelings, or he can suck it up and go do his job like millions of other people do every day.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Yeah it sounds like just about everyone around the league is in agreement... This really is a no brainer.. Only a complete moron would trade Cutler.. Regardless what happens in the next few weeks. I am beginning to think Mcdaniels might do the right thing here... Maybe it had something to do with being surrounded by mature coaches who know the value in having the best young QB in the game on your team..

This could be a well learned lesion for McKid. Hopefully he will in fact learn from this and it will help him mature as a head coach..:salute:

tubby
03-24-2009, 09:38 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0324/20090324__mcdaniels~p1.jpg

MOtorboat
03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah it sounds like just about everyone around the league is in agreement... This really is a no brainer.. Only a complete moron would trade Cutler.. Regardless what happens in the next few weeks. I am beginning to think Mcdaniels might do the right thing here... Maybe it had something to do with being surrounded by mature coaches who know the value in having the best young QB in the game on your team..

This could be a well learned lesion for McKid. Hopefully he will in fact learn from this and it will help him mature as a head coach..:salute:

I think its funny that you didn't quote, nor comment on, the article that had McDaniel's actual quotes. In fact...I find that quite hilarious.

No...wait...let me guess...he's a lying douche bag! :rolleyes:

I also find it quite hilarious what the thread poster highlighted and bolded...:rolleyes:

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Rich Eisen said McDaniels said that he and Cutler spoke in the last couple of days.

I like the sound of it.

Thats gonna help dude.

Hell yeah, If he can mend this thing with Cutler he will have shown he is big enough to fix the huge problem he created. I'm sure he will learn from it and next time will think twice before he goes down this road again :beer:

MOtorboat
03-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Hell yeah, If he can mend this thing with Cutler he will have shown he is big enough to fix the huge problem he created. I'm sure he will learn from it and next time will think twice before he goes down this road again :beer:

It's in Cutler's court now.

Doesn't take a genius to see that.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Its up to the F.O. to bury the sword.

Cutler is way too competitive to sit at home or on the sidelines while theres football being played.

Besides that, if McKid doesn't trade Cutler, Cutler will be getting what he wanted all along... He will be the Broncos QB next year with a head coach that values him as he should.. We both know the offers will line up for Cutler. By not taking them, McDaniels will be showing Cutler he values him more then any team in the league.. Or at least more then anyone would offer. You can't ask much more of a commitment from your head coach then that..

Shazam!
03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Does someone in the Broncos front office have to ____ him to get him to relax for you, or does McD have to give him his wife? C'mon people.

MOtorboat
03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Besides that, if McKid doesn't trade Cutler, Cutler will be getting what he wanted all along... He will be the Broncos QB next year with a head coach that values him as he should.. We both know the offers will line up for Cutler. By not taking them, McDaniels will be showing Cutler he values him more then any team in the league.. Or at least more then anyone would offer. You can't ask much more of a commitment from your head coach then that..

Wow...jaded are we?

Last time I checked Cutler (or should we say The Child) asked for a trade...so which one is it? Does he want a trade or not?

I'm utterly amazed at your posts. Utterly, utterly amazed.

tubby
03-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Do you have pubes?

slim
03-24-2009, 09:49 PM

I like the sound of it.

Thats gonna help dude.

Frau said that Gem said she had a crush on Davii.

Also, west and dream are going to meet at the big Oak tree at recess to fight.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 09:52 PM
I think its funny that you didn't quote, nor comment on, the article that had McDaniel's actual quotes. In fact...I find that quite hilarious.

No...wait...let me guess...he's a lying douche bag! :rolleyes:

I also find it quite hilarious what the thread poster highlighted and bolded...:rolleyes:

Did you even read my post? I said I am beginning to think McKid will do the right thing.. I wasn't bashing him.. If anything I was giving him a vote of confidence..

Maybe the guy can learn from his mistakes? For the Broncos sake a really hope he can.. :salute:

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 09:53 PM
It's in Cutler's court now.

Doesn't take a genius to see that.

Owe I see, McDaniels is the head coach but Cutler gets to decide rather he is traded or not.. :lol: Someone should tell Boldin that :laugh:

Shazam!
03-24-2009, 09:55 PM
McD has to kiss Culter's ass and all will be good? And you dispute Cutler being a whiny bitch?

MOtorboat
03-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Owe I see, McDaniels is the head coach but Cutler gets to decide rather he is traded or not.. :lol: Someone should tell Boldin that :laugh:

What the hell do you want McDaniels to do?
Seriously?

What?

Ball is in Cutler's court now. It's not my fault that you can't see that.

Your ridiculous rants are becoming more and more incoherent and maniacal. Sorry...but seriously, what the hell does McDaniels have to do?

At some point, The Child has to man up and meet with McDaniels, and own up to his childish behavior, no?

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow...jaded are we?

Last time I checked Cutler (or should we say The Child) asked for a trade...so which one is it? Does he want a trade or not?

I'm utterly amazed at your posts. Utterly, utterly amazed.

No Cutler asked for the trade after "there was a scenario that was presented that was considered". by McDaniels. At that time Cutler was happy being a Bronco. He will be happy again when McDaniels has done as he should and rejects all the trade offers for him...

Shazam!
03-24-2009, 09:58 PM
...cuckold with Mrs. McDaniels may do it.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Do you have pubes?

Why, does the thought of 8 year old boys get you excited? :lol:

MOtorboat
03-24-2009, 09:59 PM
No Cutler asked for the trade after "there was a scenario that was presented that was considered". by McDaniels. At that time Cutler was happy being a Bronco. He will be happy again when McDaniels has done as he should and rejects all the trade offers for him...

So let me get this straight. You believe all reports saying McDaniels is in the wrong, and you believe that Cutler asked for a trade. But...you don't believe McDaniels' own comments, or the report that he asked for a trade when Bates was let go? And to boot, you don't believe Cutler actually wanted a trade?

You're quite selective in what you believe.

I hope you realize that.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
What the hell do you want McDaniels to do?
Seriously?

What?

Ball is in Cutler's court now. It's not my fault that you can't see that.

Your ridiculous rants are becoming more and more incoherent and maniacal. Sorry...but seriously, what the hell does McDaniels have to do?

At some point, The Child has to man up and meet with McDaniels, and own up to his childish behavior, no?

Isn't that clear? It's pretty simple really.. Say no to trading Jay Cutler... If he does that all will be well with Cutler.. That is after all why this whole situation came up.

MOtorboat
03-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Isn't that clear? It's pretty simple really.. Say no to trading Jay Cutler... If he does that all will be well with Cutler.. That is after all why this whole situation came up.

Again.

What the hell does this man have to do?

And seriously, are you going to believe anything he says?

Because if you aren't, you're belligerent in your arguments, and I can't believe I'm wasting my time.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason why this man should kiss Cutler's ass. Not one.

KCL
03-24-2009, 10:07 PM

I believe he already said that.I am not even a Broncos fan but Jay is annoying with all this.:rolleyes:

Hell if Jay is still with the Broncos when training camp rolls around...is he still going to be acting like this?

omac
03-24-2009, 10:11 PM

I'm not sure if it's that easy; if he did that long ago, when Cutler's agent was trying to get through to them, then yes. But now, McDaniels word doesn't mean anything. Lately, neither has Pat's.

Like TD says, Cutler is now the Broncos QB only by default, and like Sharpe says, the only way to mend this is a whopper contract extension. I'd agree with Sharpe, since McDaniels was caught in a lie, and Pat's hasn't been a man of his words lately. The Broncos won't do it, because McDaniels is still looking for his type of QB.

MOtorboat
03-24-2009, 10:12 PM
"We want him to be here. We're committed to him. I think it's got to be two ways. That's the biggest thing - if he wants to commit to us, then I think there are certain things that he has to get over personally, and that's a challenge for him, that's a challenge in this whole whole situation. And I understand that. I understand the situation that he's in, and I respect that. And, like I said, that's a situation where its going to take two of us to get on the same page and get through it."

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
So let me get this straight. You believe all reports saying McDaniels is in the wrong, and you believe that Cutler asked for a trade. But...you don't believe McDaniels' own comments, or the report that he asked for a trade when Bates was let go? And to boot, you don't believe Cutler actually wanted a trade?

You're quite selective in what you believe.

I hope you realize that.

You got all that from one post? Do you think you might be reading to much into things?

I will answer your questions though, to try and clear it up for you.

I have been saying McDaniels should have handled things differently for a long time, most the reports just kept confirming that..

No I haven't seen any source with any credibility get behind the rumor Cutler asked for a trade when Bates was let go.. So no, I don't believe that..

I believe the only reason Cutler asked for a trade is because as he seen it, McDaniels was under valuing him.. I also believe that by not trading him McDaniels will be showing Cutler he values him more then anything any other team would offer. I don't believe Cutler can ask for more then that from McDaniels..

Which goes right back to the start of all of this.. If you value me, don't trade me, if you don't, trade me and let me go to someone that does value what I can do for their team.. By not trading Cutler he will be making the commitment Cutler has wanted from the very beginning.

omac
03-24-2009, 10:42 PM
"We want him to be here. We're committed to him. I think it's got to be two ways. That's the biggest thing - if he wants to commit to us, then I think there are certain things that he has to get over personally, and that's a challenge for him, that's a challenge in this whole whole situation. And I understand that. I understand the situation that he's in, and I respect that. And, like I said, that's a situation where its going to take two of us to get on the same page and get through it."

Notice that he doesn't own up to his own shortcomings in the situation; he's keeps saying Cutler needs to get over things personally, that it's on him. He does not share any blame for anything that went wrong in the situation, even though all analysts believe he botched it up. What he's communicating to the world is that, in his eyes, he is completely blameless.

Also check out this comment ....

"We're committed to him, and I'll continue to do what we can do to try to affect our relationship positively from this point forward."

What he's saying is, let's forget about what happened before. From this point forward, we'll work positively on our relationship. Forget about the way I handled things before, during the trade talks, the phone conversations, and the face-to-face meeting.

McDaniels talks a lot like that. When they first ask if Cutler will be traded, he answers they're not interested in trading Cutler for draft picks.. When asked if Cutler is his QB for the future, he responds ....

"I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that," McDaniels said. "Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

See, he does it again.

Do you think Dunghy would talk about Peyton in that way? "he's our QB, were commited to him, but we will do what's in the best interest of our team." :D No one who wants to keep his QB talks in that way.

That's part of the reason his words don't really mean much. :coffee:

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Again.

What the hell does this man have to do?

And seriously, are you going to believe anything he says?

Because if you aren't, you're belligerent in your arguments, and I can't believe I'm wasting my time.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason why this man should kiss Cutler's ass. Not one.

Is not trading Cutler kissing his ass? What exactly am I not believing? All McDaniels has to do is not trade Cutler to show him he really does want him as the Broncos QB..

He hasn't really said he wont trade Cutler, so there really is no reason to believe that.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I believe he already said that.I am not even a Broncos fan but Jay is annoying with all this.:rolleyes:

Hell if Jay is still with the Broncos when training camp rolls around...is he still going to be acting like this?

He already said what?

He has been saying he will explore any and all trade probabilities if he feels they will benefit the team..

Today when asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." That is saying something.. That's why I put it in my sig and because he said that I have real doubts he will trade Cutler now.. Up until this point he has always left the door open for a possible trade if he felt it would better the team.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure if it's that easy; if he did that long ago, when Cutler's agent was trying to get through to them, then yes. But now, McDaniels word doesn't mean anything. Lately, neither has Pat's.

Like TD says, Cutler is now the Broncos QB only by default, and like Sharpe says, the only way to mend this is a whopper contract extension. I'd agree with Sharpe, since McDaniels was caught in a lie, and Pat's hasn't been a man of his words lately. The Broncos won't do it, because McDaniels is still looking for his type of QB.

Well what choice does Cutler have? If McDaniels doesn't trade him all he can do is either man up and do what he said he would and that is come to camp or he can sit his ass at home for 3 years and kiss his carrier goodbye...

As I said. If McDaniels doesn't trade him, that in itself should put all Cutlers concerns down. He was first worried because he thought McDaniels was still going to trade him.. Well after McDaniels doesn't trade him, he should have the answer he was looking for.

If McDaniels commits to Cutler by not trading him. He better be able to let this go.. That after all was supposed to be the reason why he was upset.. If he doesn't get traded that reason goes away. The problems he has helped cause better go away too..

DenBronx
03-24-2009, 11:04 PM

lets hope not....id like to see him set his ego aside for once and just play. i love the kid and think he is the best thing since elway but cmon....its time to move on. you made your point in asking for the trade, mcdaniels has made it clear he wants you since then....man up, get your but in the facility and meet one on one with mcdaniels like he is requesting. i know ive been harsh on mcd but i did like some things he had to say today. if not then enjoy playing for the lions....:coffee:

slim
03-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Well what choice does Cutler have? If McDaniels doesn't trade him all he can do is either man up and do what he said he would and that is come to camp or he can sit his ass at home for 3 years and kiss his carrier goodbye...

As I said. If McDaniels doesn't trade him, that in itself should put all Cutlers concerns down. He was first worried because he thought McDaniels was still going to trade him.. Well after McDaniels doesn't trade him, he should have the answer he was looking for.

If McDaniels commits to Cutler by not trading him. He better be able to let this go.. That after all was supposed to be the reason why he was upset.. If he doesn't get traded that reason goes away. The problems he has helped cause better go away too..

He has the choice to stop acting like a bitch and go to work.

DenBronx
03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
i wonder if mcd and cutler can both do something with their hair styles...because their both really goofy looking.

getlynched47
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
i wonder if mcd and cutler can both do something with their hair styles...because their both really goofy looking.

Cutler should go with the Buzz cut and McDaniels should sport the mop-top.

omac
03-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Actually, no, it doesn't. Like TD, Sharpe, and all those former Broncos who are analysts say, it's tough to play QB when you know your coach wanted to trade you and will trade you at anytime an opportunity presents itself. Sharpe even joked about how McDaniels could give Cutler a hard time with the selection of plays to make him look bad.

McDaniels words don't mean much, and the only way now he really commits to Cutler is through a contract extension. The Broncos may not have much options now with regards to starting calibre QBs (although Cleveland has one to spare), but Cutler has the option of holding out, though he said he plans to attend the mandatory activities. Sharpe advises that Cutler hold out.

Truth is, lots of teams want Cutler, so he doesn't even have to play for the Broncos. The Broncos better either give him a contract extension, or trade him to get the best value, maybe even landing Shaun Rogers if they can. Imagine what he could do for the defense.

You think Cutler will block for his RBs and WRs, stand in the pocket to take vicious hits, or try at risk to his health to rush or extend plays, knowing he's just on borrowed time with the Broncos? A player (forgot whom) said, when they put the franchise tag on you, the only thing you think of during the season is to not get injured. Cutler believes he's on borrowed time with the Broncos, so he'd rather play for a team who wants him, a coach who wants him, so he can think of nothing but playing his best.

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 11:35 PM
after listening to the coach on NFL TV no one has changed their minds either way

un****ing believable..

y'all either want to give him a chance or run him out of town..

I really thought most mature football fans could find their ass with both hands, but the comments before this obviously prove logical thinking wrong..

DenBronx
03-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Cutler should go with the Buzz cut and McDaniels should sport the mop-top.

thats called a flip top. :laugh:

bada bing i'll be here all night folks!

omac
03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
after listening to the coach on NFL TV no one has changed their minds either way

un****ing believable..

y'all either want to give him a chance or run him out of town..

I really thought most mature football fans could find their ass with both hands, but the comments before this obviously prove logical thinking wrong..

Maturity is also depicted in the manner by which someone posts. While calling McDaniels McDumbass or McPetrino is childish, so is calling Jay a crybaby or making posts like saying he needs to grow huevos.

Truth is, neither those siding with McDaniels nor Jay are willing to put much credence out of what comes from the other.

McDaniels says something. Jay says something. Some analysts side with McDaniels, and others side with Jay. Most believe McDaniels lied, and thus his words really don't mean much.

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Actually, no, it doesn't. Like TD, Sharpe, and all those former Broncos who are analysts say, it's tough to play QB when you know your coach wanted to trade you and will trade you at anytime an opportunity presents itself. Sharpe even joked about how McDaniels could give Cutler a hard time with the selection of plays to make him look bad.

McDaniels words don't mean much, and the only way now he really commits to Cutler is through a contract extension. The Broncos may not have much options now with regards to starting calibre QBs (although Cleveland has one to spare), but Cutler has the option of holding out, though he said he plans to attend the mandatory activities. Sharpe advises that Cutler hold out.

Truth is, lots of teams want Cutler, so he doesn't even have to play for the Broncos. The Broncos better either give him a contract extension, or trade him to get the best value, maybe even landing Shaun Rogers if they can. Imagine what he could do for the defense.

You think Cutler will block for his RBs and WRs, stand in the pocket to take vicious hits, or try at risk to his health to rush or extend plays, knowing he's just on borrowed time with the Broncos? A player (forgot whom) said, when they put the franchise tag on you, the only thing you think of during the season is to not get injured. Cutler believes he's on borrowed time with the Broncos, so he'd rather play for a team who wants him, a coach who wants him, so he can think of nothing but playing his best.

I hear what your saying and if Cutler truly only cares about what is best for him, if he truly believes this is just a business, maybe he should hold out and get traded..

But I like to think he wants to play for the Broncos, He said he did anyways.. I don't want him to hold out. If McDaniels simply wont trade him he needs to drop it and play IMO. He can go out on the field and show McDaniels what he has to offer his offense. Then at the end of next season he can talk about getting a new contract. After McDaniels sees what they can do together I think he will support the new contract. If not then Cutler can come to the conclusion he is never going to get it and demand a trade at all cost's. but I hope it doesn't come to that..

So yeah, if they don't give him the extension as proof of their good faith then I will understand if he wants out but I really hope he will take one for the team. I hope he hasn't fully accepted this is just a business..

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Maturity is also depicted in the manner by which someone posts. While calling McDaniels McDumbass or McPetrino is childish, so is calling Jay a crybaby or making posts like saying he needs to grow huevos.

Truth is, neither those siding with McDaniels nor Jay are willing to put much credence out of what comes from the other.

McDaniels says something. Jay says something. Some analysts side with McDaniels, and others side with Jay. Most believe McDaniels lied, and thus his words really don't mean much.

well we all know that jay and cook have not lied either.. so I guess that means those on the jay nut sack can do no wrong either..

omac
03-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I hear what your saying and if Cutler truly only cares about what is best for him, if he truly believes this is just a business, maybe he should hold out and get traded..

But I like to think he wants to play for the Broncos, He said he did anyways.. I don't want him to hold out. If McDaniels simply wont trade him he needs to drop it and play IMO. He can go out on the field and show McDaniels what he has to offer his offense. Then at the end of next season he can talk about getting a new contract. After McDaniels sees what they can do together I think he will support the new contract. If not then Cutler can come to the conclusion he is never going to get it and demand a trade at all cost's. but I hope it doesn't come to that..

So yeah, if they don't give him the extension as proof of their good faith then I will understand if he wants out but I really hope he will take one for the team. I hope he hasn't fully accepted this is just a business..

Funny, though. Didn't everyone want Jay to grow up and just treat this as a business? Like someone posted before, be careful what you wish for. Guess now, since the Broncos couldn't get Cassel, they want Cutler to now be a team player and do what's good for the team, you know, the team that didn't want him? What happened to just business? :D

omac
03-24-2009, 11:55 PM
well we all know that jay and cook have not lied either.. so I guess that means those on the jay nut sack can do no wrong either..

I never said that. McPetrino was my nickname for McDaniels, so I have been immature too. :D

fcspikeit
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
I never said that. McPetrino was my nickname for McDaniels, so I have been immature too. :D

I have also been guilty of the McKid name calling, I guess a lot of us can be seen as immature.. I haven't however turned the name calling on any of the posters on the other side of this debate.. Owe well, back on topic...

fcspikeit
03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Funny, though. Didn't everyone want Jay to grow up and just treat this as a business? Like someone posted before, be careful what you wish for. Guess now, since the Broncos couldn't get Cassel, they want Cutler to now be a team player and do what's good for the team, you know, the team that didn't want him? What happened to just business? :D

Well if you ask me that goes to the heart of everything.. Why should Cutler or any athlete commit to a team if the team isn't willing to commit to them? How can it be just a business when it comes to the teams but the players are supposed to do what best for the team?

IMO, it should be one way or the other.. If the player should just accept he could be traded at any time if the boss feels it is best for the business then IMO the team should also have to accept the players might hold out and demand more money at any time if they feel it is in the best interests of themselves.. In a business world you wouldn't fault either for looking out for themselves.. Yet fan's hate to see players demand more money, fan's want to see players playing for the love of the game and their teammates. I am one of them..

I think we fans hold the players to a different slandered then we hold the team.

Simple Jaded
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Cutler isn't "letting the Broncos off the hook." That would imply that he has some other option besides honoring his multi-million $$ contract. He doesn't. He can go pout at home and forfeit his fortune because his boss hurt his feelings, or he can suck it up and go do his job like millions of other people do every day.

Cutler has said he'll be there for mandatory workouts, but for this to truly work, Cutler needs to forget that Doogie royally ****** up and has dug himself a hole that he's too stupid and inept to get out of. Unless Cutler lets the Broncos off the hook, this will not work.

Your indignant attitude is understandable, but you've missed the point.......

Simple Jaded
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Well if you ask me that goes to the heart of everything.. Why should Cutler or any athlete commit to a team if the team isn't willing to commit to them? How can it be just a business when it comes to the teams but the players are supposed to do what best for the team?

IMO, it should be one way or the other.. If the player should just accept he could be traded at any time if the boss feels it is best for the business then IMO the team should also have to accept the players might hold out and demand more money at any time if they feel it is in the best interests of themselves.. In a business world you wouldn't fault either for looking out for themselves.. Yet fan's hate to see players demand more money, fan's want to see players playing for the love of the game and their teammates. I am one of them..

I think we fans hold the players to a different slandered then we hold the team.

I know I do, I always have, I rarely take the players side over the team, I am a Broncos fan, not a Jay Cutler fan.......but my biggest issue with this isn't anything that's happened since Doogie screwed up in the first place.

This is stupid, it should have never got this far, you do not trade Jay Cutler for Matt Cassell period, but Peter King had a good point: "in today's NFL you can't try to trade a high profile player and get away with it"......."if he wanted to trade Cutler he should have been on the phone saying 'Look Jay, there is something important that we need to talk about' on the 26th before it gets out of hand".

First and foremost, you do not trade Jay Cutler, I'm blaming Doogie because the Broncos clearly had much easier and more glaring problems to fix than finding yet another Franchise QB. If Doogie goes to work on the defense the first day of free agency instead of blowing up a perfectly good offense, then we're not having this discussion.

This is a problem that the Broncos didn't need, trading your best player is needlessly reckless and monumentally stupid.......

shank
03-25-2009, 08:19 PM

i have the same haircut as McD.

jerk.

Watchthemiddle
03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Cutlers an alcoholic! Teams dont want that as a qb! Period! Look at him bring sighted in College for under age drinking. All you better than thou Jake hatters what you got for me now?