PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly Article on Cutler Situation

eessydo
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler is getting jerked around like a Shetland Pony at a six-year-old's birthday party.

Just to recap: Incredible young talent leads team to second-rated offense in the league last year. Has seven 300-plus yard games and one 400-plus yarder. Does it all while going through seven different running backs and a defense with more holes than a Tyler Perry plot. Makes the Pro Bowl. Becomes the leader of the team.

Then his coach gets fired. Then the guy calling his plays leaves town. Then he finds out his new coach -- a 32-year-old rookie -- is shopping him for a trade. In the NFL, if you're thinking of shopping your star, you better not get caught.

But the Rookie got caught.

Only The Rookie lies about it -- says he was only "listening to offers." Then, in a face-to-face with Cutler, the coach flip-flops. Says, "Yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?" Cutler gets torqued and says so. The world starts calling Cutler a "baby" and reminds him that "this is a business."

But now Cutler sees he's not wanted, can't trust his coach and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. So his career is suddenly dropping like GE stock. His ability to perform has been shredded. So he says, "Trade me," and now he's spoiled? He needs to shut up and take it? How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

- Rick Reilly, ESPN writer in a "too short for a column" rant.

CoachChaz
03-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler is getting jerked around like a Shetland Pony at a six-year-old's birthday party.

Just to recap: Incredible young talent leads team to second-rated offense in the league last year. Has seven 300-plus yard games and one 400-plus yarder. Does it all while going through seven different running backs and a defense with more holes than a Tyler Perry plot. Makes the Pro Bowl. Becomes the leader of the team.

Then his coach gets fired. Then the guy calling his plays leaves town. Then he finds out his new coach -- a 32-year-old rookie -- is shopping him for a trade. In the NFL, if you're thinking of shopping your star, you better not get caught.

But the Rookie got caught.

Only The Rookie lies about it -- says he was only "listening to offers." Then, in a face-to-face with Cutler, the coach flip-flops. Says, "Yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?" Cutler gets torqued and says so. The world starts calling Cutler a "baby" and reminds him that "this is a business."

But now Cutler sees he's not wanted, can't trust his coach and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. So his career is suddenly dropping like GE stock. His ability to perform has been shredded. So he says, "Trade me," and now he's spoiled? He needs to shut up and take it? How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

- Rick Reilly, ESPN writer in a "too short for a column" rant.

I'd really love for Rick to show me where he got this information

WARHORSE
03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Sure is funny that after McDaniels interview, both Marshall Faulk and Jamie Dukes both speak against his off season moves critically. They know he tried to trade Cutler, and so does the rest of the league.

If he told Cutler he merely listened to offers, only to recant that in the saturday meeting as Jay is professing, and now does an interview that everyone knows Jay is gonna see, and then turns around and says again all he did was listen...............not good.

Frankly, when asked about the trust issue, I think the man dodged the question and dropped his head..........couldnt look the man in the eyes. Why the face drop?

Not impressed.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Sure is funny that after McDaniels interview, both Marshall Faulk and Jamie Dukes both speak against his off season moves critically. They know he tried to trade Cutler, and so does the rest of the league.

If he told Cutler he merely listened to offers, only to recant that in the saturday meeting as Jay is professing, and now does an interview that everyone knows Jay is gonna see, and then turns around and says again all he did was listen...............not good.

Frankly, when asked about the trust issue, I think the man dodged the question and dropped his head..........couldnt look the man in the eyes. Why the face drop?

Not impressed.

I also listened to everything they said, and they were very critical of McD, and supported Jay.

CoachChaz
03-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Not impressed.

Everyone looking for something that isnt there.

DenBronx
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
5 rules when your lying,

rule #1. dont do the face drop.
rule #2. dont look at the camera before you answer.
rule#3. dont smirk or outright laugh while your answering.
rule#4. dont keep giving the same pathetic answer.
rule#5. if you have a huge forehead make sure you dont sweat.

claymore
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
5 rules when your lying,

rule #1. dont do the face drop.
rule #2. dont look at the camera before you answer.
rule#3. dont smirk while your answering.
rule#4. dont keep giving the same pathetic answer.
rule#5. if you have a huge forehead make sure you dont sweat.

And dont Clear your throat every time you hear Cutlers name.

turftoad
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Not impressed.

I agree War. He was very, very vague. He was like a seasoned politician. He didn't answer questions head on and talked around a lot of questions.

I think he's a phony. I am also getting very tired of hearing the Patriots and Belichik comming out of his mouth.
He needs to understand he's not a Patriot anymore. He needs to learn to love Orange and Blue.
I really think he does NOT get it yet.
He's young, has zero people skills and is not a people manager.

Yeah, he's probably a good coach/teacher but I don't think he is ready for this position yet.

DenBronx
03-24-2009, 10:52 AM
And dont Clear your throat every time you hear Cutlers name.

and dont try and send a measly text. actually speak to the guy on the phone...man up!

CoachChaz
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Sad, pathetic excuses conjured up by information we dont even have.

Superchop 7
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
He hit the hammer on the nail.

Trust is gone.

Now it's a business.

Get your foot on their throat Jay.

Then stomp.

Buff
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
We hashed this out last week--

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35358&highlight=rick+reilly

Thnikkaman
03-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Not impressed.

So who are you going to root for when McDaniels isn't fired?

Not trying to single you or anyone out, but its been weeks of ranting about this. We as a forum are spending way too much information on something we have no power to control or change. There has been no new information other than "Teams want Cutler". No shit. I would love to see Cutler stay a Bronco, and for McDaniels to show us why Bowlen hired him. Ranting and wasting time about bitching and moaning about it aren't going to make either of those things happen.

Start a hobby or something. I hear making sandbags is good this time of year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I believe it was on the interview with Gary Meyers yesterday with the sports guys that the comment was made something like - that is why you see very few 32 yr old coaches.

Interview can be heard here:

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/theSportsGuys/podcasts.cfm

jrelway
03-24-2009, 11:55 AM
the nfl network analysts, espn guys, former players, and 10 plus teams that are lickin their chops for jay know what kind of talent he has.. They also know whats up with this whole fiasco. they know our organization and head coach screwed up, and most think broncos should be on their knees not to let this guy go. but what do us fans know right?

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
love to here it when folks jump on dukes,Faulk bandwagons saying they believe everything bad and nothing good about Josh.. how is is completely wrong and poor jay is the slighted one..

This has been said a thousand times if not more..

NO ONE KNOWS what really happened..

NONE of these so called experts/reporters were in the room to hear about:

The trade..
The lie..
The Telecon..
The sit down..
The text..

it is all their opinion, agenda and grandstanding..

claymore
03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
love to here it when folks jump on dukes,Faulk bandwagons saying they believe everything bad and nothing good about Josh.. how is is completely wrong and poor jay is the slighted one..

The trade..
The lie..
The Telecon..
The sit down..
The text..

The Broncos became the laughing stock of the NFL on McDaniels watch. Even if he didnt persue a trade he let this blow up to what it is. So far he been terrible for our organization.

tubby
03-24-2009, 12:07 PM
The Broncos became the laughing stock of the NFL on McDaniels watch. Even if he didnt persue a trade he let this blow up to what it is. So far he been terrible for our organization.

All that matters is wins. Anyone getting bent out of shape over trivial shit is a stupid effing monkey.

Wins claygirler, wins. He who laughs last laughs best.

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM

in your opinion as long as Pat is happy with him.. I'm happy..

I suspect that Pat could give rats rectum about yours..

I also suspect very few here do either..

claymore
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
All that matters is wins. Anyone getting bent out of shape over trivial shit is a stupid effing monkey.

Wins claygirler, wins. He who laughs last laughs best.

And we have zero wins, and a QB contorversey.

claymore
03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
in your opinion as long as Pat is happy with him.. I'm happy..

I suspect that Pat could give rats rectum about yours..

I also suspect very few here do either..

Same can be said about your opinion on multiple subjects Jr. For all you know Pat Bowlen regrets the hiring.

So you can make like a fan and blow me. :D

jrelway
03-24-2009, 12:13 PM

The trade..
The lie..
The Telecon..
The sit down..
The text..

not just duke and faulk. too many to name. just watch sportscenter and nfl network, numerous websites. these so called experts are and were former players. they have inside scoops and connects..i think they know what time it is. id put my house on it they have more knowledge than you or i jr.

tubby
03-24-2009, 12:15 PM
And we have zero wins, and a QB contorversey.

I wonder what will happen when they actually play a game?

claymore
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I wonder what will happen when they actually play a game?

Me too. Hopefully its all worth it.

tubby
03-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Me too. Hopefully its all worth it.

Good. Now throw your computer off a pierre.

Northman
03-24-2009, 12:18 PM
There's more drama on these boards than there is in the actual organization.

claymore
03-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Good. Now throw your computer off a pierre.

Only if you admit you love Jay Cutler.

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 12:29 PM
not just duke and faulk. too many to name. just watch sportscenter and nfl network, numerous websites. these so called experts are and were former players. they have inside scoops and connects..i think they know what time it is. id put my house on it they have more knowledge than you or i jr.

inside knowledge from whom was it anyone inside that room that does not have an agenda.. do you not think that former players have an allegiance with current players? most of these players, agents etc have to kiss some ass to get future access to said players.. they need to kiss ass to keep their jobs.. lets not be naive here about it..

This is a media circus and it is feeding the rating folks that is all it is..

time for al the so called experts that were not in the rooms to shut the hell up IMHO..

fcspikeit
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Same can be said about your opinion on multiple subjects Jr. For all you know Pat Bowlen regrets the hiring.

So you can make like a fan and blow me. :D

For years Bowlen was happy with Shanahan, that didn't stop a lot of us from attacking him every chance we got... It's funny how now some of us will be happy with whatever appears to make Bowlen happy :laugh:

Also, keep it up Clay.. I like reading what you have to say, even if Bowlen wished there weren't guys like you to tell it like it is. He might wish everyone walked around in a dream world where no matter what decision he made, we would blindly support it but that simply isn't the case. Some of us aren't afraid to call it like we see it..;)