PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams.....And The Rest of the Free Agents

WARHORSE
03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
So Mario Williams actually made it to the open market.

Is he worth pursuing for the Broncos? Its alot of money, but with the rookie wage scale in place and the minimum spending allowed against the cap, teams are going to find themselves looking for players to pay if they dont have the money paid out already.

I honestly think this will become a problem in the future for NFL teams that dont spend in FAgency.

Next year the cap bottom hits and teams will need to spend. If we dont spend on a great player we may end up overpaying for a notsogreat player.

The guys who made it to Free Agency of note:

Brandon Lloyd....um nope.

Carl Nicks

Marquez Colston

Finnegan

Matt FLynn

Vincent Jackson

Any of those gonna be a target of the Broncos?

Mario sure would look good with VONDOOM. I think the Giants have laid the blueprint out for pass rushing studs. I think he would look real nice in a Broncos uni........

SR
03-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Who is Marquez Colston?

And none of those names will be Broncos next year.

BroncoBowlby 88
03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
If our philosophy is just to spend money, for the sake of spending money. I'd say throw the big bucks at Nicks. He would make one of the best O-lines in the game to the best overnight. Other than that I'm ok with signing Mario, as long as it doesn't take up to much space in cap on younger guys we could build around for the next 10 years or so.

Lancane
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
So Mario Williams actually made it to the open market.

Is he worth pursuing for the Broncos? Its alot of money, but with the rookie wage scale in place and the minimum spending allowed against the cap, teams are going to find themselves looking for players to pay if they dont have the money paid out already.

I honestly think this will become a problem in the future for NFL teams that dont spend in FAgency.

Next year the cap bottom hits and teams will need to spend. If we dont spend on a great player we may end up overpaying for a notsogreat player.

The guys who made it to Free Agency of note:

Brandon Lloyd....um nope.

Carl Nicks

Marquez Colston

Finnegan

Matt FLynn

Vincent Jackson

Any of those gonna be a target of the Broncos?

Mario sure would look good with VONDOOM. I think the Giants have laid the blueprint out for pass rushing studs. I think he would look real nice in a Broncos uni........

According to DB, Denver is going to make a play for Finnegan or Carr and I trust him on this. I don't see Denver entering the Matt Flynn sweepstakes, because he'll be getting a big contract elsewhere and while Nicks would be a good target, Denver is pretty happy with their offensive line and he'll not come cheap and the need is far less compared to others. I could see Denver trying to sign Vincent Jackson who'd be a multidimensional threat for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Ziggy
03-05-2012, 11:00 PM
If they choose to go after a max contract guy, Nicks is the man. He's the best guard in the NFL hands down, and fills an area of need for us. Mario would simply be a luxury, but one that you can justify with the success of the Giants and thier pass rush. Vincent Jackson and his 2 DUI's won't be someone that EFX is going to want to gamble millions on IMO.

Lancane
03-05-2012, 11:07 PM
If they choose to go after a max contract guy, Nicks is the man. He's the best guard in the NFL hands down, and fills an area of need for us. Mario would simply be a luxury, but one that you can justify with the success of the Giants and thier pass rush. Vincent Jackson and his 2 DUI's won't be someone that EFX is going to want to gamble millions on IMO.

DUI's are a far cry from what some of these kids pull Zig. And let's be honest...Vincent Jackson could well want to come to Denver for less then elsewhere because it is his home state. Denver also has the money, and if V.J. helps Tebow develop sooner rather then later? It could be worth the risk to them. It's all a matter of perspective.

Ziggy
03-05-2012, 11:11 PM
DUI's are a far cry from what some of these kids pull Zig. And let's be honest...Vincent Jackson could well want to come to Denver for less then elsewhere because it is his home state. Denver also has the money, and if V.J. helps Tebow develop sooner rather then later? It could be worth the risk to them. It's all a matter of perspective.

It may be a far cry, but that 3rd DUI could mean a 1 year suspension. I also think that VJ is a numbers guy, and he's not going to get those numbers here.

Lancane
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
It may be a far cry, but that 3rd DUI could mean a 1 year suspension. I also think that VJ is a numbers guy, and he's not going to get those numbers here.

Well, according to Elway and Fox we'll be utilizing a more pro-style offense as our base, and they expect Tebow to play from the pocket...if they truly believe in what they've been stating then Jackson could find a place on this team, especially when you look at the fact that even with a top-shelf quarterback, he still only averages what, 59 catches a season? Not exactly hard to keep him happy then if those are the numbers he's looking at. And it might not even happen, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Although I'm a build thru the draft guy...get me Mario. Ayers and Doom can rotate based on situations and/or Ayers can lineup a bit at DT. If Mario wants to play in Denver, ya don't say no.

dogfish
03-06-2012, 12:11 AM
i certainly wouldn't cry about it if they went after mario (they won't), but i'd almost rather get dan connor and another quality starter for the same price. . .

Jsteve01
03-06-2012, 12:16 AM
i certainly wouldn't cry about it if they went after mario (they won't), but i'd almost rather get dan connor and another quality starter for the same price. . .

Could sign 3 for what Mario will command

dogfish
03-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Could sign 3 for what Mario will command

quite possibly-- i was keeping it within reason. . .

wouldn't we be better off with connor and paul solaia if they're willing to invest in the front seven in FA? i tend to think so. . .

Ziggy
03-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I'd love to see Stephen Tulloch in Denver as well.

dogfish
03-06-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd love to see Stephen Tulloch in Denver as well.

if the lions can work out a deal with avril or renegotiate CJ before free agency begins, it sounds like it will free up enough space for them to re-sign tulloch as well. . . he's played for scwartz two places now-- i suspect he'd prefer to stay if they can work something out. . .

worth pursuing if they can't, though. . .

FanInAZ
03-06-2012, 12:32 AM
1) In my option, you can't over spend on a QUALITY OL & DL. So sign the best & leave the rest.

2) The Broncos are not looking for a replacement for TT as our starter. Therefore, Matt FLynn won't be considered.

Ziggy
03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
As much as I like Nate Irving as a prospect, MLB is the one position that can improve this defense the quickest. Give me a decent vet there and let Irving compete with him. I'd be happy with Tulloch, Lofton, Conner, or even Hawthorne and I'll be happy.

Chef Zambini
03-06-2012, 01:06 AM
denver is NOT going to win any bidding wars over high profile free agents.

WARHORSE
03-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Although I'm a build thru the draft guy...get me Mario. Ayers and Doom can rotate based on situations and/or Ayers can lineup a bit at DT. If Mario wants to play in Denver, ya don't say no.

Lets not forget the flexibility of our defense with a guy like Mario.

He can play DT, DE and LBer. Ayers can go inside and out, has played backer too in the 3/4. Doom has stood up in the 3/4. Von Miller? He would be a killer.

Our front seven would be MONSTROUS nads wise.

Traveler
03-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Although we probably won't pursue Mario, doing so is a no brainer IMO.

I'm approaching his possible acquisition from the perspective that building a dominating, nasty defense will aid in the teams plan to let Tebow develop. In essence, giving Tebow the time needed to develop his skills as a passer.

The best way to do that is to have a defense that can generate pressure on the QB, force turnovers, and hopefully force a lot of three and out series.

Landing Mario would be money well spent since there aren't that many difference makers in FA now that many of the good players have received the franchise tag.

UnderArmour
03-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm really disappointed Michael Griffin got tagged but we still need a safety too. I hope we take a gamble on LaRon Landry because he fits the mold of a Dawkins/Lynch/Atwater run support/box safety if he can get healthy. As long as we are paying Carr less than Jonathon Joseph got last year, I'd be happy with that signing. Finnegan doesn't deserve that kind of dough though.

As far as offensive players are concerned, we need to make a run at Michael Bush. He's a special player. No pass catchers will want to sign with us this offseason so we'd best be prepared to re-sign Willis and Royal instead of thinking we can go to the market. Although, Martellus Bennett is a TE I could realistically see us signing given our struggles at the position last year. Solid blocker and solid catcher, he would instantly be our #1 guy after he spent years sitting behind Witten in Dallas.

CoachChaz
03-06-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm really disappointed Michael Griffin got tagged but we still need a safety too. I hope we take a gamble on LaRon Landry because he fits the mold of a Dawkins/Lynch/Atwater run support/box safety if he can get healthy. As long as we are paying Carr less than Jonathon Joseph got last year, I'd be happy with that signing. Finnegan doesn't deserve that kind of dough though.

As far as offensive players are concerned, we need to make a run at Michael Bush. He's a special player. No pass catchers will want to sign with us this offseason so we'd best be prepared to re-sign Willis and Royal instead of thinking we can go to the market. Although, Martellus Bennett is a TE I could realistically see us signing given our struggles at the position last year. Solid blocker and solid catcher, he would instantly be our #1 guy after he spent years sitting behind Witten in Dallas.

I've been watching Marty B since he snubbed the t-sippers for Aggieland.

Since when did he become a solid blocker and receiver?

UnderArmour
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I've been watching Marty B since he snubbed the t-sippers for Aggieland.

Since when did he become a solid blocker and receiver?

Solid as in better than Daniel Fells. He's no Witten, Gronk, Miller, or Gonzo but he would be an upgrade that should be cheap for his talent.

LTC Pain
03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Bennett, Carr/Porter and some O-line depth in Free Agency would be premo. We need a RB, DT and CB from the draft. Wonder what the chances are of the Broncos getting Martin or Ganaway in the upcoming draft??? We need a 1B option behind McGahee. I don't see it being Ball, Johnson, Moreno or a Free Agent. Did see enough of Fannin to know where he fits in.

CoachChaz
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Solid as in better than Daniel Fells. He's no Witten, Gronk, Miller, or Gonzo but he would be an upgrade that should be cheap for his talent.

Fair enough...but he has a tendency to be a bit of an ass at times, too. He's been quiet in Cowboy country lately, but I think it's more due to his realization that he's just not ever going to be a elite player

OrangeHoof
03-06-2012, 11:00 AM
denver is NOT going to win any bidding wars over high profile free agents.

Actually, they could because they have among the best cap rooms of any team and are already a team that is trending upward. Id they want to badly enough, they can sign Mario Williams or any other free agent. The question is whether it is wise to spend the money this way. But, make no mistake, they have the cap space to get whomever they want if they are willing to pay the price.

UnderArmour
03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Actually, they could because they have among the best cap rooms of any team and are already a team that is trending upward. Id they want to badly enough, they can sign Mario Williams or any other free agent. The question is whether it is wise to spend the money this way. But, make no mistake, they have the cap space to get whomever they want if they are willing to pay the price.

Something to note about the possibly of Mario Williams is that we were actually in the bidding for Charles Johnson last year. It's entirely possible we at least have him come in and talk numbers. But for what it would cost to sign Mario Williams, we could go out and sign 3 of these 4: Michael Bush, LaRon Landry, Jason Jones, Aaron Carr. It's not unreasonable to think Mario gets quarterback money his first couple of years on the deal. With the cap floor taking effect next year, it makes sense to throw a little dough on the market in this relatively deep FA class now so we're not in the insane bidding wars next year.

SOCALORADO.
03-06-2012, 11:16 AM

I agree. DEN EASILY can win a bidding war with just about any other team in the NFL right now. This is the year to do it too. Lots of talent out there.
Bowlen just shut his check book after the MCD debacle.
However, now that the team has proven it can win, and win big playoff games, i think Bowlen has already told EFX that his checkbook is open, go spend some coin. As long as Shanny won, Bowlen let him spend, and even when the FAs didnt work out, Bowlen still let him spend more next season, because Shanny kept on winning.
Its now just a question of finding the right players.

OrangeHoof
03-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I personally think Brandon Carr is their first target, not only because he's an upgrade at CB but it also keeps him out of other AFC West cities.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Jerry wants Brandon Carr for his Cowboys...

CoachChaz
03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Jerry wants Brandon Carr for his Cowboys...

Jerry wants EVERYONE

arapaho2
03-06-2012, 05:58 PM

i dont really think we need more "vets"...all we need is to actually call a occasional friggen play to the Tes we have...JT may evolve this year

SOCALORADO.
03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
As for the TE position, its a fairly weak position inthe draft.
I know, Fleener and Allen, bu there isnt much else.
However, i would really love to see DEN try to make a trade for TE Jacob Tamme.
I just dont know what DEN could give up for him. Maybe a 2013 2nd or 3rd rounder.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Jerry wants EVERYONE

:lol: true

Nobody has tied him to Carl Nicks but he has admitted he screwed up with the OL... :laugh:

arapaho2
03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Something to note about the possibly of Mario Williams is that we were actually in the bidding for Charles Johnson last year. It's entirely possible we at least have him come in and talk numbers. But for what it would cost to sign Mario Williams, we could go out and sign 3 of these 4: Michael Bush, LaRon Landry, Jason Jones, Aaron Carr. It's not unreasonable to think Mario gets quarterback money his first couple of years on the deal. With the cap floor taking effect next year, it makes sense to throw a little dough on the market in this relatively deep FA class now so we're not in the insane bidding wars next year.

i look atr it like this...you build the line...fill that line up with talent and the defense follows along.....if we had doom on one side, williams on the other, miller crashing, and a couple huge DTs that dont give a qb much time.

we tried this build from the DB forward if i recall...didnt work out to well cause if the qb has all day to throw...well you know

SpringsBroncoFan
03-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Breaking news from ESPN... Peyton & Colts to part ways...

BORDERLINE
03-06-2012, 06:18 PM
As for the TE position, its a fairly weak position inthe draft.
I know, Fleener and Allen, bu there isnt much else.
However, i would really love to see DEN try to make a trade for TE Jacob Tamme.
I just dont know what DEN could give up for him. Maybe a 2013 2nd or 3rd rounder.

The Colts TE??

NightTerror218
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Breaking news from ESPN... Peyton & Colts to part ways...

keep him the **** away from the Chiefs. That is the last thing we need to happen to us. A good young defense, and then a good rushing team to add Manning. That would suck for us.