PDA

View Full Version : Champ eyes changes on defense

Den21vsBal19
03-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Let's take a quick break from all the McJaygate stuff ;)

Champ eyes changes on defense (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11980840)

The cornerback says the new-look Denver "D" must establish its identity to erase 2008's woes.
By Lindsay H. Jones

There's a new, 3-inch scar on Champ Bailey's left elbow.

Consider it just another reminder, albeit a tangible one, of the painful 2008 season.

Bailey underwent surgery Jan. 8 to repair the elbow — injured in the season finale against San Diego — and said late last week he is about a month away from being fully recovered.

He only hopes the defense can be so easily repaired.

"We've got to know what we're good at and what we're best at," Bailey said. "That's been a distant thing around here the last two or three years."

Bailey, who turns 31 in June, is coming off the worst statistical season of his career after missing seven games with a torn groin. Bailey said he likes at least some of the changes he has seen so far from the Broncos' new staff, starting with the addition of three proven veterans: safeties Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill, and cornerback Andre Goodman.
"I'll tell you what, we're a pack of veterans," Bailey said. "We've got a lot of experience back there. I think if there's one area where we can definitely look at and say, 'We're going to be good,' it's definitely our defensive backfield."

It is too soon to tell, Bailey said, how the rest of the defense will perform.

New head coach Josh McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who was Bailey's defensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins in 1999, plan to run a 3-4 defensive scheme at least part of the time and have made several personnel moves in the offseason to help make the switch from a 4-3.

But none of the additions to the defensive line (such as tackle Ronnie Fields) or the linebacker corps (such as ILB Andra Davis) match the impact of the players added to the secondary, and Bailey said he was interested to see how returning players such as Elvis Dumervil and Jarvis Moss handle the switch from defensive end to outside linebacker.

"We still don't have all the pieces for that, so I don't know how we're going to turn it around," Bailey said about the switch to a 3-4 scheme. "I don't know how we're going to train guys to get up and get their hand off the ground and drop back in coverage a lot, because they've never done that."

Whatever system the Broncos employ — and Bailey said he expects the team to use a variety of schemes — it will be critical the defensive unit quickly finds its identity.

That's the main thing that never happened in 2008, in part because of former coach Mike Shanahan's decision to switch to a 3-4 several games into the season.

"I think one thing going into that year was we tried to establish who we were going to be, and I don't think we ever did that," Bailey said. "We didn't know if we wanted to be a 3-4 or a 4-3, and when you start changing like that in the middle of the season, sometimes it backfires and sometimes it doesn't. But for us, it definitely didn't work."

Bailey and his brother Boss Bailey, a linebacker who is recovering from knee surgery, are among a handful of Broncos who have spent much of their offseason at the team's Dove Valley headquarters rehabilitating their injuries. Champ Bailey said there is a noticeable change in the atmosphere at the facility since McDaniels arrived in mid-January, starting with the decor.

Gone are many of the large pictures of Shanahan — obviously. Also, some of the pictures of former Broncos have been replaced by large shots of current players, including Champ Bailey.

"I saw two of me, so somebody likes me around here," he said.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

EMB6903
03-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Champ should benefit a lot more knowing that we will play a lot more zone... In my opinion I think he should make the move to safety within the next 2 years.

dogfish
03-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Champ Bailey said there is a noticeable change in the atmosphere at the facility since McDaniels arrived in mid-January, starting with the decor.

Gone are many of the large pictures of Shanahan

bahahahahaha!!!!

LMMFAO!

:rofl:

JKcatch724
03-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Talk is cheap. Champ needs to sack up and have a Champ-type year. Just sayin.

Dirk
03-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Talk is cheap. Champ needs to sack up and have a Champ-type year. Just sayin.

I agree but Champ did elude to the fact that they will need to find their identity. So he is not being to aggresive in his thoughts about how good the defense will be.

I hope they find their identity during the preseason! :salute::defense::salute:

JKcatch724
03-24-2009, 05:51 AM
I agree but Champ did elude to the fact that they will need to find their identity. So he is not being to aggresive in his thoughts about how good the defense will be.

I hope they find their identity during the preseason! :salute::defense::salute:

Definitely... but Champ needs to step up. I have no problem with him not being the leader of the defense, it's obviously not in his personality. I'm just saying he should lead through his play, and it looks as though that's getting lesser and lesser.

Dirk
03-24-2009, 06:03 AM
It seems so. But I tend to think that he was hammered by that groin for quite some time and a groin injury is not something that goes away quickly.

And to top that off, the defensive line created NO pressure. If a QB has time to sit in the pocket, any elite CB can be burned. Just sayin...

JKcatch724
03-24-2009, 06:13 AM
No doubt he had ZERO help from the DLine... But he's Champ. I'm still subscribing to the "Ultimate shutdown corner" tag he's been given. In fact, the last two years he's been subpar.

I don't want to get into the Bailey/Portis debate because I love Champ..... but gimme Portis.

Dirk
03-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Well, again, it comes down to the D-line doing it's part. You cannot have a "shut down" corner, if there isn't support from the D-line.

gobroncsnv
03-24-2009, 07:12 AM
any great defense is strong up front, period... we're not, because we're not.

Don't care WHO the backfield is, without that, Champ can only make occasional great plays. With decent pressure upfront, Champ making great plays would become routine.

EastCoastBronco
03-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Well, again, it comes down to the D-line doing it's part. You cannot have a "shut down" corner, if there isn't support from the D-line.

I second and third that motion...

No Pass Rush = No Defence.

CoachChaz
03-24-2009, 07:41 AM
It doesnt matter. We'll suck anyway because McDickhead brought in nothing but crap players and cant coach anything...niether can Nolan.

Sorry, just wanted to see what that felt like.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I think we'll be playing more man coverage than zone under Nolan, unless I'm mistaken.

Shazam!
03-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Not his fault practically the entire defense was the worst in the League. Even if they can get pressure half the time he'll return to his usual awesome self.

frauschieze
03-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Also, some of the pictures of former Broncos have been replaced by large shots of current players, including Champ Bailey.

Fatheads in Dove Valley? :laugh:

If it makes the team play with more pride, good. But I don't like the idea of turning our back on history. Kinda sits wrong with me.

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
lets hope that the defense can be top 20 this year with all the changes going on.. As long as we continue to move to respectability the next couple of years that is what counts..

CoachChaz
03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
lets hope that the defense can be top 20 this year with all the changes going on.. As long as we continue to move to respectability the next couple of years that is what counts..

I have a good feeling that if we add some help on the line, with the DB's and potential LB corps we have...we should be alot better than last year

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
I have a good feeling that if we add some help on the line, with the DB's and potential LB corps we have...we should be alot better than last year

Hell coach with a scheme, coaching and just showing up we will be better..

tomjonesrocks
03-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Agree Champ needs to deliver this season. I'm not so sure you can't trace a straight line from his Slowik cheerleading to the total destruction of this franchise. Without Champ's loud endorsement, would Slowik have been our D-Coordinator last year? Am not so sure.

Great player, but will never again be interested in his opinions.