PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Ramifications on the Saints BOUNTY System

WARHORSE
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Wow, just think of how far reaching this could be.

Make no mistake about it, in a time where player safety is being stressed to its utmost, Goodells hands are all but tied on this one. If he in any way hands down a decision that can be viewed as lenient, people are going to mock the NFL for years.

With concussion discussions raging all the time and player safety/behavior being addressed non stop, the fact that we had coaches/players/teams knowingly participating in a BOUNTY system is utterly condemning.

This is not only about the Saints, but about the SKins and Bills as well.

You can believe that Goodell walked into the Redskins team and said, I will say this one time and one time only......any untruth in any of the answers you give me on the matter will be punished most severly. Same with Bills and any other team that gets brought into the spotlight.

Let us PRAY, that Allen did not do that here. I dont believe Fox or Elway would stand for it, but man.....please let us be clean!

I guarantee first rounders are gonna be at a minimum in this. If SPYGATE got a first rounder taken........this should be TWO at least.

Can you imagine if the Skins lose their first rounder? CRAZY! Goodbye RGIII.

Allen is most definitely gonna come under scrutiny as well. The Faders may not have their coach for long....guarantee suspensions coming.

BORDERLINE
03-04-2012, 07:47 PM
ehhh, I think it's just gonna be mostly all on the SAINTS.

weazel
03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
perogies are good with bacon and onions on them.

WARHORSE
03-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Williams was in Washington for quite awhile, and Goodell is going to investigate, no doubt.

It was idiotic to begin with, but honestly I do hope some folks lose some picks.........as long as its not us!

BroncoWave
03-04-2012, 08:54 PM
They won't punish the Redskins that severely. The reason the Saints are getting hit so hard is because the NFL found out about it, told them to stop, and they still kept doing it. Had they stopped when the NFL told them to, the penalties wouldn't be near as harsh as they are going to be now. And as long ago as it was with the Redskins, it would be pretty unfair to penalize the current group who had nothing to do with it.

WARHORSE
03-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Um, I dont think so.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7645278/sources-gregg-williams-nfl-officials-meet-again-monday-regarding-bounties

RebelRocker
03-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow, just think of how far reaching this could be.

Make no mistake about it, in a time where player safety is being stressed to its utmost, Goodells hands are all but tied on this one. If he in any way hands down a decision that can be viewed as lenient, people are going to mock the NFL for years.

With concussion discussions raging all the time and player safety/behavior being addressed non stop, the fact that we had coaches/players/teams knowingly participating in a BOUNTY system is utterly condemning.

This is not only about the Saints, but about the SKins and Bills as well.

You can believe that Goodell walked into the Redskins team and said, I will say this one time and one time only......any untruth in any of the answers you give me on the matter will be punished most severly. Same with Bills and any other team that gets brought into the spotlight.

Let us PRAY, that Allen did not do that here. I dont believe Fox or Elway would stand for it, but man.....please let us be clean!

I guarantee first rounders are gonna be at a minimum in this. If SPYGATE got a first rounder taken........this should be TWO at least.

Can you imagine if the Skins lose their first rounder? CRAZY! Goodbye RGIII.

Allen is most definitely gonna come under scrutiny as well. The Faders may not have their coach for long....guarantee suspensions coming.

You need to cool your jets, dude. It was reported that only one assistant was involved in this program and I believe that assistant was Gregg Williams. It will be the places that were proven to have used this "Bounty program" that will lose compensation, whatever that compensation will be. Allen doesn't seem like the kind of coach that would allow this kind of activity. It's a longshot that we will be involved in this scandal.

Lancane
03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Who gives a rat's furry ass, really? This has been going on for years and years, and at most levels of the sport. The only reason why this is even getting any attention is because Roger 'Good For Nothing' Goodell wants to change the culture and the overall outlook of the game itself...he wants NFL teams in Europe, he wants 18 game seasons and the list goes on and on. The man is ruining the sport and doesn't give a damn that he's doing it. Williams just happened to be the biggest offender and easiest target for Goodell's agenda.

WARHORSE
03-05-2012, 01:43 AM
You need to cool your jets, dude. It was reported that only one assistant was involved in this program and I believe that assistant was Gregg Williams. It will be the places that were proven to have used this "Bounty program" that will lose compensation, whatever that compensation will be. Allen doesn't seem like the kind of coach that would allow this kind of activity. It's a longshot that we will be involved in this scandal.

Cool my jets. Havent heard that in a looong time. (what year is it?)

Anyway, in case you havent been keeping up, 22-27 players were involved over the last THREE years, which includes TWO years that Allen was in N.O., along with LOOMIS the GM, PAYTON the HC, and Williams as the DC.

So if Allen had nothing to do with it, then he had nothing to do with it. But Id say at a minimum he knew it was going on. I dont care as long as nothing like that surfaced here.

Loomis, Payton and Williams are all facing fines and suspensions along with the entire Saints org.

Goodell is pissed, and rightly so, and I HOPE he takes a ton of picks not only from the Saints, but the Skins too if they were involved, and right now, since it seems that DC Greg Williams was the head honcho, then it goes without saying that theres a great chance that was happening in Washington, and when they find out it happened.......draft picks will fall.

NO DOUBT.

imo anyway.:coffee:

Lancane
03-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Cool my jets. Havent heard that in a looong time. (what year is it?)

Anyway, in case you havent been keeping up, 22-27 players were involved over the last THREE years, which includes TWO years that Allen was in N.O., along with LOOMIS the GM, PAYTON the HC, and Williams as the DC.

So if Allen had nothing to do with it, then he had nothing to do with it. But Id say at a minimum he knew it was going on. I dont care as long as nothing like that surfaced here.

Loomis, Payton and Williams are all facing fines and suspensions along with the entire Saints org.

Goodell is pissed, and rightly so, and I HOPE he takes a ton of picks not only from the Saints, but the Skins too if they were involved, and right now, since it seems that DC Greg Williams was the head honcho, then it goes without saying that theres a great chance that was happening in Washington, and when they find out it happened.......draft picks will fall.

NO DOUBT.

imo anyway.:coffee:

I would be surprised if anything other then a slap on the wrist happened War, it's mainly the media who is overreacting and causing such a stir. Goodell is following his 1-2-3 How to Book for his own personal agenda, but he hasn't even mentioned the loss of picks or suspensions, that's been all media thus far. Goodell might be the NFL Commissioner, but he better be careful...he's owned by the owners, and some of the teams implicated are owned by the 'Big Doggies', that's why the Saints are the primary target, you don't take on owners like Snyder or pull something that effects the likes of Kroenke easily. Goodell wants his NFL expansions into Europe, he wants his eighteen game schedule. And as I said above this is nothing new, every team can deny it, but all have incentive based pools. Offensive Lineman have pools to see who allows the least amount of sacks, some based on monetary pots, Denver's offensive line during the 90's had one each year. Those defenders saying there is no such thing are lying, there always has been, whether the reward is a tattoo, cash...heck, I've even heard about top-shelf cars being in the mix.

Problem is that Goodell is pussifying the league...not realizing that this is America's Gladiator Arena, these are our Gladiatorial Games. What are the two biggest reasons for the sports popularity War? It's big hits and big arms. Back in the 50's, 60's, 70's and even into the 80's the sport thrived on the monstrous hits, that's why people watched the game, the introduction of the passing quarterback also became a major part of the spectacle later on. Perfect example of this is the love-hate we see on here in regards to Tebow, because in all honesty, people don't want to see five or six yard runs every play, they'd be happy with a sixty or eighty yard run, just like they want to see an aerial show from the quarterback. It's absolutely the same for big hits, if you believe otherwise, then you highly mistaken. A poll taken last year from major raceways around the US showed that most people attending such events did so, first and foremost because of the crashes. Look at hockey, it's peak popularity came during a time when you saw fights and fierce hits continuously.

Point is War, that it's what sells the sport and people want to see it. And I believe there would be far less stink had Goodell not run with it in order to make his own vision for the league come true.

BroncoWave
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I think I'll believe Adam Schefter over Lancane on how hard the league is going to come down on the Saints. Believe it or not, a lot of these media guys actually have inside sources and aren't just pulling things out of their asses.

And I find it laughable that you think what Williams has been doing isn't a big deal. There is a difference between big hits and legitimately trying to injure someone. When you are trying to screw with someone's livelyhood to win a freaking game, that is completely out of line. And the fact that the NFL found out about it, told them to stop, and they kept doing it anyway is why the penalties are going to be so harsh. You are naive if you think it's just going to be a slap on the wrist.

Lancane
03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I think I'll believe Adam Schefter over Lancane on how hard the league is going to come down on the Saints. Believe it or not, a lot of these media guys actually have inside sources and aren't just pulling things out of their asses.

And I find it laughable that you think what Williams has been doing isn't a big deal. There is a difference between big hits and legitimately trying to injure someone. When you are trying to screw with someone's livelyhood to win a freaking game, that is completely out of line. And the fact that the NFL found out about it, told them to stop, and they kept doing it anyway is why the penalties are going to be so harsh. You are naive if you think it's just going to be a slap on the wrist.

Believe who you want, like I give a damn...you should know better by now. And Adam Schefter doesn't know everything going on in the locker rooms BB, or for that matter within the organizations themselves. I don't believe we'll see the Saints punished the way the media is clamoring, they may lose a draft pick or two, which I doubt. But here is the bigger issue, is the supposed violation stated in the NFL rule book? It's not gambling, and as such then any decision made by the commissioner can be challenged if the team in question or teams feel it's too harsh, too far removed, they can appeal and then it involves the board and ownership. What's most likely going to happen is the Saints will lose a draft pick, Williams will probably fined as well as some players, not to mention they'll write a new rule that bans such procedures in the future and demands a much higher penalty.

And what he is doing is typical, it happens at every level. In High School we got decals for our helmets rewarding us for such hits. In college we got much the same, except then the pools came into play. "Hey, whoever knocks out a ball carrier this game...we'll buy him dinner at a place of his choosing!" or "Whoever knocks the quarterback out for the game gets a hundred bucks", and boosters have even had similar pools. Heck, Jackson's Hole in Denver used to say that players from my High School team would get a free meal if they had multiple sacks or had the best hit on the quarterback. This shit is far from new, Roger Goodell has an agenda and this helps speed that along, he'll be the no-nonsense enforcer who's looking out for what's best for the game...that is until even basic tackles are stripped from the game and it becomes a flag football league. The only part of this argument that's naive is that you believe it's going to stop, if the coaches don't do it, the players will.

BroncoWave
03-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Believe who you want, like I give a damn...you should know better by now. And Adam Schefter doesn't know everything going on in the locker rooms BB, or for that matter within the organizations themselves. I don't believe we'll see the Saints punished the way the media is clamoring, they may lose a draft pick or two, which I doubt. But here is the bigger issue, is the supposed violation stated in the NFL rule book? It's not gambling, and as such then any decision made by the commissioner can be challenged if the team in question or teams feel it's too harsh, too far removed, they can appeal and then it involves the board and ownership. What's most likely going to happen is the Saints will lose a draft pick, Williams will probably fined as well as some players, not to mention they'll write a new rule that bans such procedures in the future and demands a much higher penalty.

And what he is doing is typical, it happens at every level. In High School we got decals for our helmets rewarding us for such hits. In college we got much the same, except then the pools came into play. "Hey, whoever knocks out a ball carrier this game...we'll buy him dinner at a place of his choosing!" or "Whoever knocks the quarterback out for the game gets a hundred bucks", and boosters have even had similar pools. Heck, Jackson's Hole in Denver used to say that players from my High School team would get a free meal if they had multiple sacks or had the best hit on the quarterback. This shit is far from new, Roger Goodell has an agenda and this helps speed that along, he'll be the no-nonsense enforcer who's looking out for what's best for the game...that is until even basic tackles are stripped from the game and it becomes a flag football league. The only part of this argument that's naive is that you believe it's going to stop, if the coaches don't do it, the players will.

He knows a HELLUVA lot more than you.

Lancane
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
He knows a HELLUVA lot more than you.

Yeah, I'm sure he does...at least regarding the everyday issues around the league - still doesn't mean he knows everything and that his word is the gospel truth or that he has the inside pulse of the organizations themselves. Or was that quip your best effort at a slight against me? If so, you can do better then that.

;)

BroncoWave
03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
You are also completely off base by saying that none of what they did is against NFL rules. It's illegal for teams to pay players money outside of what is in their contract, which the Saints were proven to do. And if the commissioner tells you to stop doing something and you keep doing it anyway, that is grounds for him to punish you as harshly as he wants. We've already seen how harshly he reacts when someone blatantly lies to him, see Mike Vick.

I've seen MULTIPLE news sources say that draft pick losses, player and coach suspensions, and fines will come down. I doubt all of these sources are just making this up. But please, if you have some inside info that everyone else is not privy to please let us know.

I'm sure this guy is just making all this up and doesn't actually have the inside source that he claims to...

The NFL is considering severe, sweeping disciplinary measures in the New Orleans Saints’ bounty case that could include lengthy suspensions of Coach Sean Payton, General Manager Mickey Loomis, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and player leaders of the scheme, a person familiar with the deliberations said Sunday.

The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has not made final decisions on penalties, said some of the sanctions could be “unprecedented.” Payton and Loomis face discipline for failing to halt the practice of paying players for big hits on opponents. The bounty system was administered by Williams and involved 22 to 27 players, according to an NFL investigation revealed Friday.

The suspensions under consideration are a half-season or longer in some cases, the person said. Several other people in the sport said they expect Williams, now the defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams, to be punished severely.

The league announced Friday that the discipline in the Saints case could include fines, suspensions or the forfeiture of draft choices. According to the NFL’s investigation, the Saints’ bounty system was primarily player-funded and paid for hits that forced opponents off the field or knocked them out of a game, along with fumble recoveries and interceptions. Such payments violate league rules, according to the NFL.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/severe-sweeping-penalties-under-consideration-in-saints-bounty-case/2012/03/04/gIQAThoDrR_blog.html

This article pretty much destroys any argument you are trying to make. The league itself stated the possible severity of the penalties and that what went on is against league rules.

WTE
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm with you on this one BTB. This is a lot more serious than many people think. It won't surprise me if Williams is suspended for a year or banned for life and it won't surprise me if Payton and Loomis are suspended 6 games and heavily fined.

To me, the biggest scandal here is the Saints lied to the NFL Security about their bounty program. Then they tried to cover it up. Meanwhile, the NFL told them if they had a bounty program to immediately stop yet continued anyway.

The cover up is always worse than the crime and Greg Williams and the Saints are going to learn that in a very painful fashion.

BroncoWave
03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm with you on this one BTB. This is a lot more serious than many people think. It won't surprise me if Williams is suspended for a year or banned for life and it won't surprise me if Payton and Loomis are suspended 6 games and heavily fined.

To me, the biggest scandal here is the Saints lied to the NFL Security about their bounty program. Then they tried to cover it up. Meanwhile, the NFL told them if they had a bounty program to immediately stop yet continued anyway.

The cover up is always worse than the crime and Greg Williams and the Saints are going to learn that in a very painful fashion.

I agree. Had they been forward about it and stopped when the NFL told them to the penalties would be MUCH less severe IMO. Lying about it then continuing to do it after being told to stop is what's going to have the hammer laid down on everyone involved.

WTE
03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree. Had they been forward about it and stopped when the NFL told them to the penalties would be MUCH less severe IMO. Lying about it then continuing to do it after being told to stop is what's going to have the hammer laid down on everyone involved.

Yep, just like a couple years ago when the NFL sent the memo about taping on the sidelines and Belichick arrogantly decided to ignore it.

Goodell doesn't like to be lied to and doesn't like his orders to be dismissed.

BTW BTB, I found it ironic the NFL decided to release this info late on a Friday afternoon. That's the ideal time to release unfortunate information.

I don't think that was a coincidence, do you?

GEM
03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Just the fact that they are PAYING the players makes it illegal. There is a cap for a reason. Only what is on the books counts against it. If you are paying them outside of this, the number would go against the cap. As it is....they probably can't even write the player checks because it would create a paper trail.

DenBronx
03-05-2012, 01:44 PM

Still bitter about SPYGATE?

Lancane
03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Just the fact that they are PAYING the players makes it illegal. There is a cap for a reason. Only what is on the books counts against it. If you are paying them outside of this, the number would go against the cap. As it is....they probably can't even write the player checks because it would create a paper trail.

That depends Gem, is the whole of the organization behind it?

For example, if I make a bet with BB on here through PM's, does that make the forum responsible for the betting taking place, especially if say the moderators are unaware of what it taking place, or even if one mod is on it? No.

The NFL Rule Book will have to state that such actions are in themselves illegal, if it's not mentioned or there is no rule that directly ties into the issue, then Goodell will be hard pressed to penalize those involved without them having the legal stance to have the commissioner's decision appealed. That is what I was trying to say to Bailey, I think Goodell's hands are somewhat tied, he'll be able to punish those involved as long as it's not an extreme punishment, but it will lead to the rule book being changed as the most extreme issue that comes from this. And it's not new, just like taping practices and juicing, it's one of those things that will have to be caught to be punished but it will not stop simply because they make it illegal.

And Gem, there is no paper trail because most times it's a cash pool, so unless someone becomes a rat, then the league will not likely have any proof of such actions taking place.

BroncoWave
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
That depends Gem, is the whole of the organization behind it?

For example, if I make a bet with BB on here through PM's, does that make the forum responsible for the betting taking place, especially if say the moderators are unaware of what it taking place, or even if one mod is on it? No.

The NFL Rule Book will have to state that such actions are in themselves illegal, if it's not mentioned or there is no rule that directly ties into the issue, then Goodell will be hard pressed to penalize those involved without them having the legal stance to have the commissioner's decision appealed. That is what I was trying to say to Bailey, I think Goodell's hands are somewhat tied, he'll be able to punish those involved as long as it's not an extreme punishment, but it will lead to the rule book being changed as the most extreme issue that comes from this. And it's not new, just like taping practices and juicing, it's one of those things that will have to be caught to be punished but it will not stop simply because they make it illegal.

And Gem, there is no paper trail because most times it's a cash pool, so unless someone becomes a rat, then the league will not likely have any proof of such actions taking place.

Please see my last yellow-bolded line in post 15.

WTE
03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Still bitter about SPYGATE?

The Patriots never lied, nor did they try to cover up anything. That camera was in the open in front of 65,000 to see.

This BountyGate is 10X worse on so many levels (we haven't even discussed tax evasion yet) You will see when the stiffest penalties in NFL history are handed out.

Lancane
03-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Please see my last yellow-bolded line in post 15.

I understand what you're getting at, but that's not the end all, tell all.

People with knowledge of the deliberations cautioned that Goodell has yet to make final determinations in the Saints case and that some matters remained subject to change. Goodell is seeking advice on disciplinary action from the NFL Players Association, players and others, those people said.

So, this tells me that there was likely no specific rule about such actions and Goodell is seeking advice from several angles to see what is the best way to go about administering punishment for this. I will admit that it looks like Williams will get the harshest punishment and not a major fine like I originally believed he would. However, I don't see them banning coaches from the league other then possibly Williams. Peyton will probably fined if he knew about the pool, however...as I stated above and in other posts, where is the fine line...did ownership know about it? The warning from Goodell was it to a certain executive, the ownership, the general manager? Would firing that individual show the Saints Organization supports the decision or refusing to show that they disagree and what will be the teams next step in either direction. As I said before, there is a lot more to it. They can punish the organization to a degree, but if Goodell takes it too far then the organization can appeal whatever decision he comes to. And the Rams can appeal any punishment that the commissioner places on Williams, if they so choose do to so which I don't think they will.

Bounties have been a part of the NFL for some time, but that doesn't make them right. And based on the initial facts, the "bounty" system seems to have been as much a part of Williams' playbook as any of his blitzes.

Williams has left the Saints for the St. Louis Rams, but his past indiscretions will not go away. Williams violated NFL rules, not New Orleans Saints rules. And he allegedly did this more than once and in more than one city

The person familiar with penalty deliberations in the Saints case referred pointedly to the full season suspensions that former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle imposed in 1963 on Green Bay Packers running back Paul Hornung and Detroit Lions defensive tackle Alex Karras for gambling. It was not clear which of the people involved in the Saints case might face a suspension that long.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82760ad9/article/bounty-sanctions-must-be-severe-to-protect-nfls-image?module=HP11_cp

And you were right, it will not be a slap on the wrist...at least for Williams.

LTC Pain
03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
So what does the Saint's Bounty System have to do with the Broncos Warhorse??? Why is this in Broncos' Talk???

Lancane
03-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I do have to wonder what the lawsuit fallout of this will be though? How many injured players can pinpoint within a good enough time frame certain injuries at Williams' doorstep. And will they go after the organizations as well?

Lancane
03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
So what does the Saint's Bounty System have to do with the Broncos Warhorse??? Why is this in Broncos' Talk???

Because people are wondering if Allen instilled the same here and if so, then this could trickle down into our laps sort-to-speak.

LTC Pain
03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Because people are wondering if Allen instilled the same here and if so, then this could trickle down into our laps sort-to-speak.

Got it! Allen was the defensive backs coach for the Saints before being our DC last year.

WARHORSE
03-05-2012, 09:30 PM
This is not going to be a slap on the wrist for any team involved.

While the media may sensationalize every bit of news to the nth degree, it doesnt erase the facts already established.

This was illegal on multiple levels, and it doesnt matter if Goodells safety parade tones down the game we love, the OWNERS are indeed behind him to the tune of a gazillion dollars a year that they pay him.

You better believe they scrutinize who steps into the role of NFL commissioner, and he doesnt do what he wants. He does what the OWNERS want to the 90 percentile range imo.

THis is a quote from Matt Bowen who played under Williams with the Washington foreskins:

Bowen does not hold back with ESPN, stating that bounties are a part of the NFL game.

He goes into further detail saying that former Redskins defensive coordinator and current St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams would set up a system in which players would gain or lose money throughout the week of practice leading up to the game, then again in the game itself.

"We collected money ourselves as players," Bowen said. "We almost had like a penalty system. You miss a play in practice, you blow an assignment, you add to add to that pot, and what we did as players was hand that out during the games."

It would seem like Bowen confirmed that Williams was the head of the scandal that has become known as "Bounty-Gate" over the past 24 hours.

Read the rest here:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1089632-washington-redskins-video-watch-matt-bowen-say-he-has-no-regrets-about-bounties

Adam Schefter is in the know on this, so is Clayton and all the other pundits saying there will be very stiff punishments handed out.

The NFL just called Williams back to NY. I'd bet my best pair of Tebow jockey shorts (the orange and blue ones with the TT signature on em) that they had interviewed him solely about what was going on in New Orleans, and are now calling him concerning the rumours going around that he was doing it in DC too. Enter Matt Bowen to the stand.

This is a now ESTABLISHED fact, that Washington had a bounty program going there too, and it will be thoroughly investigated. They are asking Wiliams about it, and he is going to be completely honest about it or he may never step back into the NFL again.

This is serious, and Im very grateful Fox came out and said we had nothing like that in Denver going on. AMEN!:salute:

BroncoWave
03-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Lancane, here is more specific wording of the NFL rule prohibiting this, as provided by Peter King:

Such bounties not only circumvent the NFL's salary cap, as extra off-the-books compensation, but also violate the NFL's constitution and by-laws and the collective bargaining agreement, all of which state, "No bonuses or awards may be offered or paid for on-field misconduct (for example, personal fouls to, or injuries inflicted on, opposing players)."

WTE
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I just heard Mike Lombardi on local radio and he spoke of the time he was w/ Philadelphia in the late 90's. The team gave Reggie White a jacket valued at $600.00 as a gift.

The NFL sent the Eagles a letter stating they must include that $600.00 in their salary cap calculations.

And that was pre-Goodell.

Lancane
03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Lancane, here is more specific wording of the NFL rule prohibiting this, as provided by Peter King:

Interesting, until you mentioned it the other day I didn't know that Williams and the Saints had been ordered to cease the program, nor that Williams utilized such for malicious intent, which skews such Bounty Pools. And thanks for clarifying what you were stating BB.

However, I have to digress one thing...the Bounty Pools or Programs are usually not conducted by coaches and as such are not stipulated under the CBA, they're aware of them but do not acknowledge them, it's usually ran by members of the defense as are the payouts. I thought it was interesting that Warren Sapp explained his take, that he's for rewarding such actions but against bounty programs. I'm pretty sure we'll see more bounty programs, just that defenders will be more apt to be careful, they'll likely keep it out of light with coaches and others in the organization and start calling it a 'Reward Pool', and yet that can be looked at as a violation of the 'Gambling Rule'...but I seriously don't see it stopping, teams and players are just going to be more cautious in the future.