PDA

View Full Version : Broncos WR Royal discusses Cutler’s future, new head coach McDaniels

JONtheBRONCO
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Royal says there’s no doubt he wants Cutler under center for Denver next season

Pro Football Weekly caught up with Broncos WR Eddie Royal on March 14 as trade rumors involving Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler continued to circulate. The latest reports indicate Cutler will not attend a team meeting scheduled for Monday and that his relationship with new head coach Josh McDaniels has deteriorated further after a meeting over the weekend failed to reconcile their differences. Their relationship has soured since it became known that the Broncos were in talks to trade Cutler to the Buccaneers in a three-team deal that would have sent then-Patriots QB Matt Cassel to the Broncos. The trade fell through, and Cassel was dealt to the Chiefs, leaving Cutler disgruntled, although other reports said Cutler had asked to be traded well before the Cassel deal.

Royal, who had the second-most receptions (91) in a season by a rookie in NFL history in 2008, told PFW he has been in touch with Cutler since these stories broke and that he hopes a solution can be reached that keeps Cutler in Denver. Royal also spoke about his plans for the offseason, a potential suspension for WR Brandon Marshall and how difficult it is to put the team's collapse of late last season behind him.

PFW: You led all NFL rookies in receptions and receiving yards and you were seventh in the league in receptions in 2008. It usually takes receivers a year or two to get going. Why do you think you were successful so quickly?

Royal: The supporting cast I had. The people around me helped with my development. Professionals like (former Broncos receiver) Darrell Jackson. I had a great coach who took extra time to help me with the playbook, help me with coverages and just really study my opponents, so I knew before every game what I was going up against.

PFW: When you say 'great coach,' are you talking about Mike Shanahan?

Royal: Shanahan and Jedd Fisch, my (former) receivers coach, and (ex-offensive coordinator) Jeremy Bates. They all did a great job of getting us prepared for each week.

PFW: Do you miss those guys?

Royal: We developed a good relationship from the beginning. We were a close team. I'm starting to realize they're not going to be there. I don't think I'll ever get used to it, but it was good to develop those friendships. They were great coaches, and I wish them the best.

PFW: Is there anything in particular in these few months before the start of camp that you really would like to improve on?

Royal: Just the basics. Doing the little things the right way. I think that toward the later part of the season, traditionally, your body gets tired and you start to break down. I really want to try to make sure my fundamentals are right and that I do all the little things that help turn those small plays into the big plays.

PFW: What are some of those little things that you think are so important?

Royal: Being good at the line of scrimmage. Working different releases. In the AFC and especially in our division, you see a lot of press coverage, so you need to be good at that. Looking the ball all the way in. Catching and tucking right away. Getting in and out of your break. Keeping a low pad level. There are a lot of little things you need to do to be a successful receiver.

PFW: You got a little dinged up toward the end of the season, and some people thought it looked like you were worn down. Are endurance or stamina things you're working on?

Royal: I thought I got better toward the end of the year, but injuries are going to happen. You try to prevent them. You do yoga, you do weightlifting. But in the game that we play, injuries are going to happen. It's all about bouncing back from them. You have to play hurt sometimes in this league and you got to fight through the pain. Endurance is key because it is a long season. That's why we start training so early for it. You know, that's something we work on every offseason. You want to be in the best shape toward the end of the season, and that is one thing that I'm working on.

PFW: With Josh McDaniels coming in as head coach, you'll be working in a different offense from last season's. Has he talked to you at all about what your role will be? I know some people have been drawing comparisons to the role Wes Welker played with the Patriots when McDaniels was there as offensive coordinator.

Royal: We haven't really spoken about roles. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to be playing. I know I've been compared to Wes Welker before, but I don't really know just what (McDaniels) has in store for us just yet. I'm trying to learn the formations and the plays now. All they really told me is learn every position. To be a good offense you need to be able to move around and be in different spots to kind of keep the defense off balance. If the defense knows where you're going to be every single play, it's easier for them to cover. I'm trying to learn the whole offense and be able to play anywhere.

PFW: It sounds like you've just had some casual conversations with McDaniels so far.

Royal: I spoke with him. It was just general football talk. I'm excited about it. He's a real smart coach. You can tell that he knows football from just the little bit of time that I spent talking to him. He's excited about the season, and it seems like he knows how to win. He came from a winning team, and that's important. Just from talking to him, I could tell that we were going to find a way to win.

PFW: A major topic when he was hired was his youth, being just 32. What are your thoughts on that? Does it make him at all easier to relate to, being a young player yourself, or does it not really make much of a difference?

Royal: You know it's all in how you carry yourself and all in how you conduct yourself. From talking to him, his age doesn't pop out. He knows football way beyond his years. It doesn't really bother me at all. As long as he can point us in the right direction, I don't think age will be a factor. None of us are looking at it as being a factor. I'm excited about this upcoming season.

PFW: Have you noticed any differences between Shanahan and McDaniels in the way they approach their jobs?

Royal: Not really differences. I see a lot of similarities. Both are hard workers. The game's important to them. They spend a lot of time preparing. I can already see that. It's really hard to say right now. … I see the same positive qualities that I saw in coach Shanahan.

JONtheBRONCO
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
PFW: Many people want to know about Jay Cutler and whether he'll be throwing to you next season. Have you talked to him at all?

Royal: I've spoken to Jay a little bit about it. I try to give him his space to let him think about things because I know he's got a lot going on in his mind right now. I wanted to reach out to him to let him know how important he is to our team and how much we need him. He's a great teammate, and we all love playing with him. I just want to remind him that we're all supporting him and we want him to be with us next season.

PFW: How did he respond to that?

Royal: I just wrote it in a text message to let him know. He's still got a lot going on. Hopefully it works out for the best, and we can put this behind us and start looking forward to the season.

PFW: Did he text you back?

Royal: It was a 'Thanks, man, I know.' It wasn't much, but he did text back.

PFW: Do you think he's going to be a member of the Broncos next season?

Royal: Jay's my quarterback. He's the only quarterback I know. I enjoy playing with him. He's a great leader for us. I hope so. He's got a great arm for a young quarterback. I hope it all works out. … I think it will all work out for us next season with Jay there.

PFW: Are you upset about what's happened between Jay and the team?

Royal: It's been tough looking at it because Jay is my quarterback and it's hard to see your quarterback and your friend go through something like that. It's a business. I've just been trying to be there for Jay and supporting him through this and letting him know we're all behind him.

PFW: So there's no question you want him to be the Broncos' quarterback next season?

Royal: Oh yeah, no question. I definitely want Jay back.

PFW: The Broncos signed another quarterback, Chris Simms, to be a backup. Have you met with him at all yet?

Royal: No, I haven't had a chance to meet with him. I can't find his number to congratulate him and welcome him to the team, but I'm sure I'll see him on Monday (at the team meeting) and I'll go up and introduce myself.

PFW: Do you like the free-agent moves McDaniels and GM Brian Xanders have made thus far?

Royal: I love what we've done this offseason. We've brought in veteran guys with good leadership. It's good. We're moving in the right direction. I'm excited about the guys we're bringing in. We have guys that are coming in from winning programs. They know how to win and that's important. You've got to know how to practice and you got to know how to conduct yourself on and off the field the right way. The guys we're bringing in now know how to do that.

PFW: Last season you guys collapsed, dropping your final three games, and missed the playoffs. It was the first time since the NFL implemented divisions in 1967 that a team blew a three-game division lead with three games to play. Has everybody moved on from that? How much does that linger with you still?

Royal: You try to move on, but the truth is, it still sticks with you. We had such a good opportunity. You use it as motivation and as a learning tool to never let that happen again. Finish the right way. Finish strong. … It was tough to go through, but it was a good learning experience for our team. We had a young team. We're going to learn from it and bounce back from it.

PFW: Brandon Marshall was charged with disorderly conduct in Atlanta a few weeks ago, but the charges were dropped. There have been reports, though, that commissioner (Roger) Goodell is investigating the matter and could suspend him for as much as eight games for repeatedly violating the personal-conduct policy. Are you concerned at all about a potential suspension for him? Have you been in contact with him?

Royal: I haven't talked to him since all that happened. I spoke to him before. I still don't know the details of what happened. I'm not really in the loop on that situation. As a teammate, Brandon is great. He's a competitor. Of course I want him out there playing alongside of me.

PFW: I've heard people familiar with Marshall say he really doesn't seem like a bad person, but he keeps on getting into trouble. Cutler was critical of his behavior last offseason. What's the problem with Marshall?

Royal: I really don't know, to tell you the truth. Brandon was one of the first guys to welcome me in. We've had a great relationship. He's a well-rounded kid. He shows people respect. I really don't know what it is. I hope it all works out for him. He's a good friend of mine. It's just a tough situation. I think he'll come out of it strong and as a better person.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
royals a smart man.

he gave alot of credit to darrel jackson for his success. djak might have made more of an impact than we think like actually helping these young guys learn.

EMB6903
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Gotta love Eddie Royal, always saying the right things.

You can tell he has an amazing work ethic, kids destined for greatness.

Poet
03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
At the very least you know that Eddie Royal is a team guy who is good for the locker room.

I like him a lot, he is going to be a beast.

broncofaninfla
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Eddie's a class act. Would love to have more like him.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
At the very least you know that Eddie Royal is a team guy who is good for the locker room.

I like him a lot, he is going to be a beast.

well thats why we should trade him. we dont want anymore bright spots on our team. besides, he's a 1 year wonder. there's no way he could possibly do it again. :coffee:

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
well thats why we should trade him. we dont want anymore bright spots on our team. besides, he's a 1 year wonder. there's no way he could possibly do it again.

Just cant help yourself can you?

Poet
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
well thats why we should trade him. we dont want anymore bright spots on our team. besides, he's a 1 year wonder. there's no way he could possibly do it again. :coffee:

I dare you to show me even coming close to saying that. You can't do it, you can't come close - all you can do is show me posting reasonable thoughts about how good players are now.

What I find funny, and what I find rather sad is that people think I am some type of Cutler hater when post after post I say that I think that he is going to be a great top five player. I just say that he is not that now.

Go find someone else to troll, if you look up you'll see my posts soaring over your head.

Thanks in advance. :lol:

ChairmanBron
03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Eddie Royal is a smart classy individual.

I hope he's a Bronco for many years to come until he retires!

claymore
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM

If we are looking at getting value, and we traded Cutler, Clady, and Royal, we are looking at 5 #1 picks, and maybe a couple players or 3rd rounders. Lets do it.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
If we are looking at getting value, and we traded Cutler, Clady, and Royal, we are looking at 5 #1 picks, and maybe a couple players or 3rd rounders. Lets do it.

Fail

Poet

I never knew you rooted for the Raiders.

;)

DenBronx
I dare you to show me even coming close to saying that. You can't do it, you can't come close - all you can do is show me posting reasonable thoughts about how good players are now.

What I find funny, and what I find rather sad is that people think I am some type of Cutler hater when post after post I say that I think that he is going to be a great top five player. I just say that he is not that now.

Go find someone else to troll, if you look up you'll see my posts soaring over your head.

Thanks in advance. :lol:

i didnt say you did say that... :confused:

is it really that hard to detect internet sarcasm?

claymore
Fail

Its funny, but its the same logic as trading Cutler. To me at least.

claymore
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
I never knew you rooted for the Raiders.

;)

:vomit:

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM

at this point clay....why dont we just move the team to LA, trade half the team and end up with 10 or so 1st rounders to rebuild the team?

Poet
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
at this point clay....why dont we just move the team to LA, trade half the team and end up with 10 or so 1st rounders to rebuild the team?

You have now been traded to the Browns.

Bye.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Are we not capable of better responses and rebuttles than childish dribble about trading the whole team? Pathetic contributions to potentially positive conversation

Poet
03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Are we not capable of better responses and rebuttles than childish dribble about trading the whole team? Pathetic contributions to potentially positive conversation

Hell, at this point I just want a gigantic shit storm.

Throw dem bows!

claymore
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM

Coach, to many of us trading Cutler makes less sense than trading Clady and Royal.

I mean if McD wants his type of guys, lets go all in!

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Coach, to many of us trading Cutler makes less sense than trading Clady and Royal.

I mean if McD wants his type of guys, lets go all in!

And yet we still have nothing that states or quotes McD as saying "Screw Cutler...he sucks. I want one of my boys running the show"

If the fact that he listened to a trade offer is translated into this, then I really dont want what everyone else is smoking. However...if you could share tonights winning Lotto numbers with me, I'd be all for it.

claymore
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
And yet we still have nothing that states or quotes McD as saying "Screw Cutler...he sucks. I want one of my boys running the show"

If the fact that he listened to a trade offer is translated into this, then I really dont want what everyone else is smoking. However...if you could share tonights winning Lotto numbers with me, I'd be all for it.

I hope that is what happened, and everything is already smoothed over, and its a distraction on teams that are trying to trade for Cutler before the Draft.

I love Cutler, and if he handles this like a bitch I will never forgive him. McD is easy to hate right now for the simple fact he is the FNG.

I hope my man lust turns to McD by January of next year. I really do.

I dont know who is right right now, but I own Cutlers jersey so Im rooting for him to be a Bronco as much as I can.

tomjonesrocks
03-23-2009, 03:25 PM
The previous regime hit a home run on draft day with Royal. No one saw him being taken at that spot and many of us--myself included--uttered the likes of "What?! With DeShaun Jackson on the board?"

Props to the Goodmans and Shanny for this. And props to Royal for taking the high road. He had a hell of a year under Shanahan/Bates/etc. If anyone would have been soured on these changes Royal would have been. Acting like a true pro in only his second year.

Hopefully he's still on the roster come the first game of the regular season...

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 11:00 PM
anyone with half a brain would try and keep royal on the roster. then again....mckid is our head coach.

GEM
03-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Is it really that hard to discuss the merits of Eddie Royal? Keep it on topic fellas.