PDA

View Full Version : Defense at #12, Broncos RB's on the Trade Block.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Link to the Article. (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11974189)

DANA POINT, Calif. — There is uncertainty at quarterback. But there doesn't seem to be any uncertainty regarding the type of player the Broncos want from their No. 12 overall draft pick.

The Broncos want defense. And new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have influence in the decision as to which defensive player to take. Nolan personally worked out three top defensive prospects in the past week — Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing and Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins.

The Broncos also have worked out Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin and Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes. Orakpo and Barwin are considered 3-4 outside linebackers who also can line up in a three-point stance on pass-rushing downs.

Other pass-rushing defensive ends-outside linebackers the Broncos may consider are Florida State's Everette Brown and Penn State's Aaron Maybin. The Broncos also like LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Running back for trade.

Two NFL executives say the Broncos have been asking teams if they are interested in acquiring one of their running backs. It makes sense after the Broncos signed three free-agent tailbacks: Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan.

The Broncos' holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

Bowlen celebrates 25 years.

Today marks the 25th anniversary of when Pat Bowlen officially bought the Broncos from Edgar Kaiser.

"Do I get a gold watch?" Bowlen said, laughing.

No, he gets a quarterback controversy. Jay Cutler wants to be traded. The Broncos have been talking with teams interested in Cutler at the NFL owners meetings.

The highlight of Bowlen's 25 years?

"That's easy: Super Bowl XXXII," Bowlen said of the first of his team's back-to- back league championships. "Winning that game in San Diego after losing three (Super Bowls) — it was by far my biggest thrill."

And, no, the Cutler controversy isn't among the toughest ordeals Bowlen has experienced. He picked two others.

"Looking back at it, I'd have to say losing the first one," Bowlen said of Super Bowl XXI, when Phil Simms, father of current Broncos quarterback Chris Simms, completed 22-of-25 passes for the victorious New York Giants. "Because you really don't know what it's like. You go into that, you're not thinking about losing.

"And Darrent Williams was certainly one of the worst things I've ever had to go through as Broncos owner, as a human being."

Williams, a 24-year-old cornerback who came to the Broncos from Oklahoma State, was slain in a drive-by shooting in Denver on Jan. 1, 2007.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Be prepared for the hundreds of "McD is stupid if he trades Hillis" posts

Shazam!
03-23-2009, 08:43 AM
I hope they don't draft a CB early, they need more front seven help.

Fan in Exile
03-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Of the first three guys that they listed I think I would like Cushing the best. He plays in the front seven and he isn't Orakpo.

Making a trade at RB makes total sense I'm all for getting old at a position.

claymore
03-23-2009, 08:46 AM

I think after the Cutler debacle everyone is numb. But it is a little silly that only the bright spots on the team are up for grabs.

I get the whole sale high thing, and I know we got Hillis in the 7th. But even if we got a third Rd pick, It would have to be a pretty darn good guy to be better than Hillis.

TXBRONC
03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Of the first three guys that they listed I think I would like Cushing the best. He plays in the front seven and he isn't Orakpo.

From what I've heard scout think Cushing is capable of playing all three linebacker positions.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM

I'll scream if we take Orakpo at #12, I'd scream if we took Cushing as well. Cushing has too many durability issues to even be considered. I'd take Jenkins at #12 though; but I'd prefer Brown or Jackson over all the aforementioned.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I could live with Cushing, Brown or Maualuga. If I hear Jackson, Orakpo or Maybin...I'll puke.

Hillis is a talent...just not one that will be utilized in a spread offense.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 08:59 AM
I could live with Cushing, Brown or Maualuga. If I hear Jackson, Orakpo or Maybin...I'll puke.

Well Chaz, I'll be there to hold your hair back. :lol:

In regards to Hillis, I think he could be utilized in a Kevin Faulk role, catching passes out of the backfield. I think his fit is a little ambiguous; but I see him being able to do what Faulk did for the Patriots, as well as what BenJarvis Green-Ellis did for them as a rookie in redzone last year. I'd hate to see Hillis traded because he can be a quality special teamer and provides good value for us.

If anyone is getting traded, I'd say it'd be Young -- but he has no value at all. If Denver recouped anything for say Torain/Young -- I'd be thrilled. I doubt it though.

broncofaninfla
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Unless we get the appropraite compensation I'll be one of them.

Dirk
03-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Ha!

I think that when we find a player that touches us in an "OMG I think that guy is awesome" kind of way. There is always going to be a bit of anger or shock when a fan favorite is shopped.

I like Hillis a lot. He is tough and is a power runner with great hands. I think he could be utilized in the spread just for his pass catching abilities. And his ability to pound the ball is always fun. :cool:

broncofaninfla
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Ha!

I think that when we find a player that touches us in an "OMG I think that guy is awesome" kind of way. There is always going to be a bit of anger or shock when a fan favorite is shopped.

I like Hillis a lot. He is tough and is a power runner with great hands. I think he could be utilized in the spread just for his pass catching abilities. And his ability to pound the ball is always fun. :cool:

I agree. I see something special in this kid and feel he can help us win some games this season. I can't think he will be traded after reading we are shopping backs but I hope he isn't.

Italianmobstr7
03-23-2009, 09:32 AM

That's becuase if we trade Hillis, it would be STUPID! Why would you trade away one of the best all around football players that we have? He can at the very least be our fullback, or a TE or HBack which I know NE uses. The others I could care less about, but trading Hillis would be dumb.

Northman
03-23-2009, 09:34 AM

I was just getting ready to say that. :lol:

Fan in Exile
03-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I'll scream if we take Orakpo at #12, I'd scream if we took Cushing as well. Cushing has too many durability issues to even be considered. I'd take Jenkins at #12 though; but I'd prefer Brown or Jackson over all the aforementioned.

Cushing isn't a good value at #12 that's for sure, but I think his versatility at LB means that he'll have a bigger impact on this team than Jenkins. There are so many unanswered questions at LB that he'll be able to make up for the inevitable hole. Of the three that Nolan has worked out I would be happiest with him.

Jenkins is a better player but I don't think we have the holes in the secondary that would make him the right player to select at #12.

The only thing that I don't like about Jackson at this point is the position that he plays. #12 is high for a 3-4 DE it's also the place we've got the most people who could make the switch which is also one of the easiest to make going to a 3-4.

I really like Brown and I think at this point he would be my first choice.

underrated29
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
If we can trade hillis for a 3rd or something its worth it guys. Yes i like him too, but lets be honest. He was a 7th rd pick, and he wont be as valuable to the team in the new offense. So if we can take a 7th and move it into a 3rd or so, thats a great deal on our part....

I am not sure if his value is that high, but maybe him and a pick for a good starter....

claymore
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
If we can trade hillis for a 3rd or something its worth it guys. Yes i like him too, but lets be honest. He was a 7th rd pick, and he wont be as valuable to the team in the new offense. So if we can take a 7th and move it into a 3rd or so, thats a great deal on our part....

I am not sure if his value is that high, but maybe him and a pick for a good starter....

If we do trade, its another question mark where there wasnt one before. Thats my take with Cutler etc.

Im sure we can trade Caldy and get better than a #12 overall, and we can trade Royal and get a low 1st rounder too. But is it really worth it?

Fan in Exile
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM

The same thing bothers me about trading Hillis that bothers me about trading Scheffler. If it's about getting something valuable that the team needs I don't really have a problem with it. If it's just about not being able to find a spot for a guy then I have a problem with it.

Of course this is all still speculation so I'm going to wait and see what happens before I freak out.

Mike
03-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Who the hell is going to give Denver anything for those RBs. The only one who remotely has any value is Hillis and he is coming off an injury. :rolleyes:

silkamilkamonico
03-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Who the hell is going to give Denver anything for those RBs. The only one who remotely has any value is Hillis and he is coming off an injury. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Who was the last Denver RB to actually go to another team and do anything? Clinton Portis?

getlynched47
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
NOOOOO!!

Dont trade Hillis.....stupid idiot McDaniels!

TXBRONC
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Agreed. Who was the last Denver RB to actually go to another team and do anything? Clinton Portis?

Ruben Droughns.

nevcraw
03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Hillis is vauable in any offense.. Plain and simple.. Yes a Rookie 7th round draft pick with more versatility than most of the starting RB's the league.. This is not a homer speaking this is a serious critque of his game. He has very few flaws and and a very big upside.

I just don't think he's going to be traded.. Not enough value in a trade for his ability. After Mcdicknut tries all of his new RB's, Hillis will end up on the field again for good.. Also - He is is a patriot type guy by his work ethic and his attitude..

underrated29
03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I am starting to think that Mcd is just offering and hoping for a good swap. But really i do not think he is going to let hillis or scheff go for nothing or small returns....

lets face it, we almost had cassel #1,#12,#20 for Jay- and he turned it down, didnt get their in time whatever.... So dealing peyton or tony for minimal value doesnt seem to be in line with his thinking. maybe i am giving him too much credit. I dont know, but unless we get the right price i think we can see them both on the field next year with us.

Dortoh
03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
If we go CB at #12 I'm getting banned for my epic meltdown. Just a heads up to the mods :)

D1g1tal j1m
03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Living and working at USC I have seen Cush and Rey and the hype between the two. Cush is a versatile player for sure but he doesn't do one thing outstandingly well. For the 12th pick I want a guy who will make plays and has that little bit extra and Rey is that player. Yes, he was surrounded by talent but he was the most talented player of the D. He has speed and athleticism and there is a little more umph in his tackles. Cush was a little overweight during his first years here and really had to work hard to get where he is now. I fear if he isn't constantly monitored he may revert back to his old ways. Rey has always been athletically gifted and is extremely self motivated (something that Cush has been accused of not being early on in his college career).

broncofaninfla
03-23-2009, 11:12 AM

I bet some of the teams who faced Hillis who had players bounce off of him would be willing to trade to get him. Same for those who watched game tape of him.

Medford Bronco
03-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Well Chaz, I'll be there to hold your hair back. :lol:

In regards to Hillis, I think he could be utilized in a Kevin Faulk role, catching passes out of the backfield. I think his fit is a little ambiguous; but I see him being able to do what Faulk did for the Patriots, as well as what BenJarvis Green-Ellis did for them as a rookie in redzone last year. I'd hate to see Hillis traded because he can be a quality special teamer and provides good value for us.

If anyone is getting traded, I'd say it'd be Young -- but he has no value at all. If Denver recouped anything for say Torain/Young -- I'd be thrilled. I doubt it though.

We can get a new tee and some footballs for Young maybe:lol:

silkamilkamonico
03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Ruben Droughns.

1 RB in 6 years.

I wonder if the current crop of undrafted players, faltered draft picks, and free agent busts, means Shanahan started ignoring that position along with the defense. The only player anyone has been enamored in that time frame with is Peyton Hillis.

Buff
03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
If we can get anything for Young, then I say we ought to pull the trigger...

Hillis isn't going anywhere. He's the classic 7th round bargain that GM's are always looking for.

Dirk
03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I know that we didn't have a decent running back that was healthy last year, but the only show of talent and the always desired "shock and awe" was Hillis at that position.

Whenever Hillis came in it changed the whole dynamic of the offense. He is a player that makes the defense play a little more conservative.

Will that equate to the same type of respect from the defense in McD's system? Who knows. Only time will tell, IF he isn't traded.

silkamilkamonico
03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I know that we didn't have a decent running back that was healthy last year, but the only show of talent and the always desired "shock and awe" was Hillis at that position.

Whenever Hillis came in it changed the whole dynamic of the offense. He is a player that makes the defense play a little more conservative.

Will that equate to the same type of respect from the defense in McD's system? Who knows. Only time will tell, IF he isn't traded.

I do agree. The only thing I can think of is McDaniels doesn't think Hillis would be good out of the spread offense, but that's basically all he ran out of last year.

I still think if Hillis isn't traded, McDaniels is going to see how good he is and be forced to play and like the guy. If it doesn't happen then, McDaniels' long road uphill is only going to get more steeper.

Dortoh
03-23-2009, 11:36 AM
The style that Hillis runs (bulldozer) almost ensures a short career. Just saying.

getlynched47
03-23-2009, 11:42 AM
If we go CB at #12 I'm getting banned for my epic meltdown. Just a heads up to the mods :)

the odds are that we will go after Jenkins probably if Raji, Orakpo, or Cushing are gone.

I dont think this regime is a fan of Maualuga...

broncofaninfla
03-23-2009, 11:51 AM
The style that Hillis runs (bulldozer) almost ensures a short career. Just saying.

4-5 years of Hillis will still give us more production than any of the guys we signed this off season.

Dortoh
03-23-2009, 11:55 AM
4-5 years of Hillis will still give us more production than any of the guys we signed this off season.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm against trading Hillis myself short of getting a offer that is too good to pass up of course.

That said I would not use him as my everydown back. I would use him at FB/short yardage and as a receiving target out of the back field.

WARHORSE
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
McDaniels used a big fullback in NE last year. Hillis has a chance to latch on.
Hes a football player, is willing to do anything for the team and can do it all at a high level, especially catch out of the backfield.

I dont know what anyone would be willing to give up for him, but I hope he stays.

He is what I would call a true Bronco.

nthngd2say
03-23-2009, 01:09 PM
If we do trade, its another question mark where there wasnt one before. Thats my take with Cutler etc.

Im sure we can trade Caldy and get better than a #12 overall, and we can trade Royal and get a low 1st rounder too. But is it really worth it?

I'm not going to say Hillis doesn't have talent but he's coming off a major injury and the talk is purely speculation - who'd be the starting FB, Andrew Pinnock or Larsen?

I appreciate Hillis' versatility but IMO comparing trading a role player [as RB] or starting FB to trading one of the best young left tackles in the game or a WR with Eddie's talent [and name] and production 91 receptions 980 yds to Hillis is apples to oranges. Starters at LT & WR compared to a player who many of us like more for his intangibles but who would be 4th at best on the depth chart [at least to start] at RB or our starter at FB.

MOtorboat
03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm not going to say Hillis doesn't have talent but he's coming off a major injury and the talk is purely speculation - who'd be the starting FB, Andrew Pinnock or Larsen?

No one.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
i dont see hillis going anywhere. we was a steal and we might as well enjoy his talent and character on the team. anyone that says hillis doesn fit into mcdaniels system doesnt really know who hillis is then. he does so much out of the back field...alot like they do in new england with faulk. we would be smart to keep as many weapons on the field as possible. slide hillis to fb and now you have one more option that can make plays.

if it wasnt for hillis we would have lost a couple of more games...think on that.

hotcarl
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
maybe hillis can play scat back :welcome:

EMB6903
Im very anxious to see what RB on this team has legit trade value?

Has to be Hillis.

underrated29
the odds are that we will go after Jenkins probably if Raji, Orakpo, or Cushing are gone.

I dont think this regime is a fan of Maualuga...

I disagree about rey.

I think we do have a huge hard on for rey. I have stated my opinions in another thread, but a brief few are:

The pats took mayo and loved him last year
rey is a nolan LB all the way, and he wants his own pat willis here.
We have lots of maybes at OLB but no gurantees, same for ILB but no attention has been paid there...why?? I think we dont want to tip our hand.

Of course i could be way wrong-usually am, but thats what i feel for now.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
its really not smart that were trying or at least dangling some/all of our best players on the market.

whos next? clady? champ? dj? royal? marshall?

we only have a handfull of good players as it is. why tear away your best, most explosive offesnsive weapons when there really is no need to?

DenverBronkHoes
03-23-2009, 02:14 PM

he's stupid if he trades Hillis

honz
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Technically, Selvin Young has proven more in a Broncos uni than Hillis has. I'm not saying Selvin is better than Peyton, but I'm just sayin'...

dogfish
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
trying to trade selvin and toesprain. . . . .

:spit: :pound: :rofl:

somebody tell the FO they don't have 12th round picks anymore. . . .

and if i hear about any more good players that "don't fit" dipshit's offense, I'M going to puke!

i'll say the same thing i said about chef-- if he can't find any use for a tough, hard-working, versatile, team-oriented back, he needs to get a little more creative. . . hillis can pass protect, has exceptional hands, and is a very tough inside/short-yardage runner. . . . he can line up at fullback, tailback or in single back sets, and would probably be a solid H-back as well with his receiving skills. . . what kind of offense are we planning to run that doesn't need a goal line back? how freakin' narrow minded and rigidly glued to his precious system is doogie?? it's starting to sound to me like there are only about fourteen or fifteen players in the league that he can find a use for, and unfortunately most of 'em are still under contract with new england. . .

seriously, what skills does lamont jordan have that hillis doesn't? if doogie spends money to bring in old backs with extensive injury histories and gets rid of a talented young one that's practically playing for free, it just confirms what a dumbass he is in my book. . . .

but i know-- i'm not supposed to criticise anything he does unless/until he lose ttwelve games or more. . . .

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
trying to trade selvin and toesprain. . . . .

:spit: :pound: :rofl:

somebody tell the FO they don't have 12th round picks anymore. . . .

and if i hear about any more good players that "don't fit" dipshit's offense, I'M going to puke!

i'll say the same thing i said about chef-- if he can't find any use for a tough, hard-working, versatile, team-oriented back, he needs to get a little more creative. . . hillis can pass protect, has exceptional hands, and is a very tough inside/short-yardage runner. . . . he can line up at fullback, tailback or in single back sets, and would probably be a solid H-back as well with his receiving skills. . . what kind of offense are we planning to run that doesn't need a goal line back? how freakin' narrow minded and rigidly glued to his precious system is doogie?? it's starting to sound to me like there are only about fourteen or fifteen players in the league that he can find a use for, and unfortunately most of 'em are still under contract with new england. . .

seriously, what skills does lamont jordan have that hillis doesn't? if doogie spends money to bring in old backs with extensive injury histories and gets rid of a talented young one that's practically playing for free, it just confirms what a dumbass he is in my book. . . .

but i know-- i'm not supposed to criticise anything he does unless/until he lose ttwelve games or more. . . .

I think it's more about questioning decisions than criticizing them. There's a difference I suppose.

I would like to see Hillis utilized and if McD trades him for something else...I may question his motive and thought process. However, if at the end of the day it all works to our benefit...I'll have an answer to my question.

On the other hand, if I call him McDipshit for trading a 7th round FB that showed glimpses of promise and say he's a moron...and then the trade works to our benefit...then I look like an idiot that truly knows less about the NFl than a professional coach.

Just my opinion

LoyalSoldier
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Hell why not just trade the whole damn team while we are at it.

TXBRONC
03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
1 RB in 6 years.

I wonder if the current crop of undrafted players, faltered draft picks, and free agent busts, means Shanahan started ignoring that position along with the defense. The only player anyone has been enamored in that time frame with is Peyton Hillis.

I'm just telling you Droughns did it nothing more.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 02:57 PM

If it gets us a better team back in return...sure.

I could care less about names and faces...I want the BRONCOS to be successful.

honz
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't believe we have traded anyone yet...

broncofaninfla
03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Im very anxious to see what RB on this team has legit trade value?

Has to be Hillis.

I agree, IMO only Hillis could merit any trade consideration from other teams. Torain got hurt before he even had a chance to show what he can do and Young isn't worth a 7th round pick IMO.
Hillis has the skill set to run, block and catch passes, he can play FB, RB and or TE. Hillis the utility type football player that NE seemed to love. I can't help but think that McD knows this guy can play and save him a roster spot at the same time. I hope he isn't traded unless it nets us a true difference maker on defense.

DenverBronkHoes
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
if it is not broke dont fix....

Dortoh
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
if it is not broke dont fix....

It is most certainly broke.

EMB6903
03-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Why dont you think he would be productive in a spread offense?

Buff
03-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Jackson and Orakpo would both be better picks than Cushing or Brown. I don't really know how someone could take Cushing over Orakpo. Ever.

Orakpo is a beast. It worries me a bit that we'd be asking him to play OLB, but he's such a freak of an athlete I'd LOVE it if he fell to #12. I'll take him over Brown any day.

Give me Rey ahead of all of these guys though. We need a guy who'll tear your head off.

EMB6903
03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I dont know.... Ive watched both Brown and Orakpo play several times and I cant think of 1 thing that Orakpo does better then brown on the field.

if we are going by whos more of a work out warrior Ill take Orakpo, but on the field Ill go with Brown any day.

Northman
03-23-2009, 04:38 PM

It could happen......

bud
03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Hillis' injury hurts his trade value. He's not going anywhere.

Even if he doesn't get too many carries, Hillis can contribute on special teams and catch the ball out of the backfield. The Broncos practically pay the guy with peanuts.

Denver may trade Hillis down the line; but I can't see him leaving now.

From where I'm sitting, no team will offer any kind of first day pick for Hillis right now. Denver is better off keeping him... for now.

LoyalSoldier
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
If it gets us a better team back in return...sure.

I could care less about names and faces...I want the BRONCOS to be successful.

Yes and you don't get successful by trading away your young promising talent. That is how you turn into the small market teams in MLB.

MOtorboat
03-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Just for the record. No ONE has been traded yet.

TXBRONC
03-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes and you don't get successful by trading away your young promising talent. That is how you turn into the small market teams in MLB.

MB is right to the extent no one has been traded yet.

LoyalSoldier
03-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Just for the record. No ONE has been traded yet.

No, but judging from the last situation the new administration hasn't given me too much faith that they won't.

MOtorboat
03-23-2009, 06:27 PM
No, but judging from the last situation the new administration hasn't given me too much faith that they won't.

Couple of things:

To get value you have to trade value. You can't trade crap for value. That's like playing Madden with the "force trades" button clicked. It's fun, and your team rules, but it's not real life.

Dayton Moore, the GM for the Royals, said one thing that is very true "Pitching is the currency of baseball." So how can that be equated to football? Young, offensive talent. Well, when two of those guys don't really fit in the scheme of the new head coach (oft-injured, but very talented TE who doesn't block well, and a FB in a system that doesn't even use a FB), then there certainly might be a couple of trades. There's value in those players, and like I said you trade value to get value. I know that's a very oversimplified way of saying it, but its true. What if we could get a solid 3-4 starter for Hillis? What if we got a solid 3-4 starter for Scheffler? Well, in the system that McDaniels plans on implementing, the 3-4 starters are more valuable to the Broncos than Scheffler or Hillis. I like those guys as much as the next guy, but if you can get some value for them, why not trade them?

Cutler...that's a different story...

LoyalSoldier
03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Couple of things:

To get value you have to trade value. You can't trade crap for value. That's like playing Madden with the "force trades" button clicked. It's fun, and your team rules, but it's not real life.

Dayton Moore, the GM for the Royals, said one thing that is very true "Pitching is the currency of baseball." So how can that be equated to football? Young, offensive talent. Well, when two of those guys don't really fit in the scheme of the new head coach (oft-injured, but very talented TE who doesn't block well, and a FB in a system that doesn't even use a FB), then there certainly might be a couple of trades. There's value in those players, and like I said you trade value to get value. I know that's a very oversimplified way of saying it, but its true. What if we could get a solid 3-4 starter for Hillis? What if we got a solid 3-4 starter for Scheffler? Well, in the system that McDaniels plans on implementing, the 3-4 starters are more valuable to the Broncos than Scheffler or Hillis. I like those guys as much as the next guy, but if you can get some value for them, why not trade them?

Cutler...that's a different story...

Sure I am well aware this is Madden, but at the same time just trading away prospects before we know if they can make an impact is just stupid. For all we know Hillis could actually be a damn good RB that a spread kind of offense needs. It helps having a back that makes his own hole when you have fewer blockers. Hillis is only going into his second year and last year he was making amazing progress that was cut short due to a freak play. He even seemed to be a good receiving threat which is very helpful in a spread offense.

I don't like even mentioning a trade involving him at all.

MOtorboat
03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Sure I am well aware this is Madden, but at the same time just trading away prospects before we know if they can make an impact is just stupid. For all we know Hillis could actually be a damn good RB that a spread kind of offense needs. It helps having a back that makes his own hole when you have fewer blockers. Hillis is only going into his second year and last year he was making amazing progress that was cut short due to a freak play. He even seemed to be a good receiving threat which is very helpful in a spread offense.

I don't like even mentioning a trade involving him at all.

He may very well be valuable, but let's not parade around thinking he's Marshall Faulk incarnate. He's a second-year player that had two good games at running back and flashed very good skills as a receiving fullback. If McDaniels is going to run the Patriot system, as we're very sure he will, a fullback has no use in the offense. Heck, the position doesn't even exist. Go look at the Patriots Depth Chart. (OK, I looked at the one on NFL.com and it does list Heath Evans - but the Patriots web site doesn't list a FB. Evans touched the ball 14 times. The offense just doesn't use a fullback.)

LoyalSoldier
03-23-2009, 07:00 PM
He may very well be valuable, but let's not parade around thinking he's Marshall Faulk incarnate.

Who said I was doing that? I said he was a young player who showed that he can play.

He's a second-year player that had two good games at running back and flashed very good skills as a receiving fullback. If McDaniels is going to run the Patriot system, as we're very sure he will, a fullback has no use in the offense. Heck, the position doesn't even exist. Go look at the Patriots Depth Chart. (OK, I looked at the one on NFL.com and it does list Heath Evans - but the Patriots web site doesn't list a FB. Evans touched the ball 14 times. The offense just doesn't use a fullback.)

The problem is you keep seeing him as a FB. The fact of the matter is that in 4 1/2 games he became the team leader in touchdowns, rushing yards, and YPC. He scored in every game he started in except the Cleveland game.

MOtorboat
03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Who said I was doing that? I said he was a young player who showed that he can play.

The problem is you keep seeing him as a FB. The fact of the matter is that in 4 1/2 games he became the team leader in touchdowns, rushing yards, and YPC. He scored in every game he started in except the Cleveland game.

That's all fine and dandy, but by signing three running backs and circulating trade rumors, it appears that the Broncos see him as a fullback...

Buff
03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I dont know.... Ive watched both Brown and Orakpo play several times and I cant think of 1 thing that Orakpo does better then brown on the field.

if we are going by whos more of a work out warrior Ill take Orakpo, but on the field Ill go with Brown any day.

:rolleyes:

Right. 1st team All-American, Big 12 Player of the Year, but he can't play a lick.

dogfish
03-23-2009, 09:49 PM
:rolleyes:

Right. 1st team All-American, Big 12 Player of the Year, but he can't play a lick.

it's happened many, many times before. . . . make a list of all the all-americans that never did shit in the pros, it'll probably crash the site. . . .

Buff
03-23-2009, 09:59 PM
it's happened many, many times before. . . . make a list of all the all-americans that never did shit in the pros, it'll probably crash the site. . . .

I'm not saying his accolades will necessarily translate into him being a good NFL player. I was just responding the guy who called him a workout warrior.

I think Everette Brown would be a fine pick as well, but if I could choose between Maybin, Cushing, Brown, Jackson or Orakpo... I'm taking Orakpo.

Chris90210
03-23-2009, 10:02 PM
damn

slim
03-23-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm not saying his accolades will necessarily translate into him being a good NFL player. I was just responding the guy who called him a workout warrior.

I think Everette Brown would be a fine pick as well, but if I could choose between Maybin, Cushing, Brown, Jackson or Orakpo... I'm taking Orakpo.

Half of those guys will be busts...if you can tell me which ones, you are a genius. BTW, I am with you on Orakpo.

damn

Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

rcsodak
03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I think after the Cutler debacle everyone is numb. But it is a little silly that only the bright spots on the team are up for grabs.

I get the whole sale high thing, and I know we got Hillis in the 7th. But even if we got a third Rd pick, It would have to be a pretty darn good guy to be better than Hillis.

Well, I think you'd be hard pressed to find somebody here that doesn't like Hillis, and his upside.

But this year's rb's in the draft are considered deep, so McD may not think the current guys are going to excel in his scheme.

Personally, I hope they get rid of young and torrain, and keep Hillis. I've tooted my horn about him before his name was even known!

Requiem / The Dagda
03-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, Orakpo is a workout warrior?

dogfish
03-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, Orakpo is a workout warrior?

dude, orakpo could bench you like a hundred times. . . .

uhhh, not that that really makes me want to draft him or anything-- just sayin'. . . . .

GEM
03-24-2009, 12:54 AM

He's the only one of those 3 choices that hold any value. :coffee:

Dean
03-24-2009, 06:49 AM
The question, as I see it, is whether Hillis or what we can obtain for him is better for the Broncos. Having torn his hamstring away from the bone, I can't see the Broncos getting much in trade.

There is definately a place in the spread offense for a blocker/reciever/power back. The first tackler almost never brought him down. YAC turns a screen or swing pass into a big gainer.

If McKid is an offensive genius, a player with that skill set can be worked into an offense and be very productive. If an offense doesn't grow and undergo change, a defense will find a way to stop it.

Dirk
03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
trying to trade selvin and toesprain.

I love it when I'm drinking my morning :coffee: and I come across something that makes me almost spit it out...

Nice one with the toesprain....funny! :lol:

dogfish
03-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Dissenting Opinions Emerge On Orakpo Workout
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2009, 10:59 p.m.

Earlier in the day, NFL.com’s Gil Brandt offered up a glowing review of Brian Orakpo’s Pro Day workout.

But not everyone feels that way.

Per one league source, some scouts viewed the linebacker/defensive end’s workout as “brutal.”

According to the source, Orakpo is regarded by some as having “great athletic abilities but bad football skills.” It’s prompting some to question whether Orakpo merits even a first-round pick.

If this sounds familiar, it should. There’s a chance that Orakpo could be the latest in a line of “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” players, including past first-rounders like Vernon Gholston and Mike Mamula. (Then there’s Alabama’s Andre Smith, who as one reader pointed out after Smith’s recent shirtless sprint “plays like Tarzan, looks like Jane.”)

Even Gil Brandt, who is regarded by many as having a bias in favor of Texas football, acknowledges that Orakpo is “one of those guys that appears to play hard 90 percent of the time, but takes a vacation the other 10 percent.”

It’s the kind of attitude that could put a coach or a G.M. on vacation 100 percent of the time if they pick Orakpo, and if he doesn’t deliver.

CoachChaz
03-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Dissenting Opinions Emerge On Orakpo Workout
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2009, 10:59 p.m.

Earlier in the day, NFL.com’s Gil Brandt offered up a glowing review of Brian Orakpo’s Pro Day workout.

But not everyone feels that way.

Per one league source, some scouts viewed the linebacker/defensive end’s workout as “brutal.”

According to the source, Orakpo is regarded by some as having “great athletic abilities but bad football skills.” It’s prompting some to question whether Orakpo merits even a first-round pick.

If this sounds familiar, it should. There’s a chance that Orakpo could be the latest in a line of “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” players, including past first-rounders like Vernon Gholston and Mike Mamula. (Then there’s Alabama’s Andre Smith, who as one reader pointed out after Smith’s recent shirtless sprint “plays like Tarzan, looks like Jane.”)

Even Gil Brandt, who is regarded by many as having a bias in favor of Texas football, acknowledges that Orakpo is “one of those guys that appears to play hard 90 percent of the time, but takes a vacation the other 10 percent.”

It’s the kind of attitude that could put a coach or a G.M. on vacation 100 percent of the time if they pick Orakpo, and if he doesn’t deliver.

What comparison did I make a few weeks ago that was ridiculed?

Lonestar
03-26-2009, 03:15 PM
The question, as I see it, is whether Hillis or what we can obtain for him is better for the Broncos. Having torn his hamstring away from the bone, I can't see the Broncos getting much in trade.

There is definately a place in the spread offense for a blocker/reciever/power back. The first tackler almost never brought him down. YAC turns a screen or swing pass into a big gainer.

If McKid is an offensive genius, a player with that skill set can be worked into an offense and be very productive. If an offense doesn't grow and undergo change, a defense will find a way to stop it.

I believe that Hillis will be out K Faulk. about 400 yards in running and most of the TD along with alot of passes.. If he is healthy..