PDA

View Full Version : How would you build a team?

oobehr
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
OK. So you are given the job of being a GM of the newly made Los Angeles Team and you are put in the AFC west along with 2 other California teams, so you have to get really good really fast so you can get a strong fan base in clogged area. What steps do you take to make a respectable team from scratch, so you can attract a crowd.

You have 3 years to reach the playoffs.
You get the #1 pick for the first 2 years and the #16 pick the third year.
You can make reasonable trades for players in whatever way you just aren't allowed to say "I draft a qb and he throws for 5000 yards and 52 yards so I trade him and get 5 first round picks."
You don't have to give specific players you could just say "I would take the highest rated QB in the first round" or what ever

bullis26
03-22-2009, 11:59 PM
OK. So you are given the job of being a GM of the newly made Los Angeles Team and you are put in the AFC west along with 2 other California teams, so you have to get really good really fast so you can get a strong fan base in clogged area. What steps do you take to make a respectable team from scratch, so you can attract a crowd.

You can make reasonable trades for players in whatever way you just aren't allowed to say "I draft a qb and he throws for 5000 yards and 52 yards so I trade him and get 5 first round picks."
You don't have to give specific players you could just say "I would take the highest rated QB in the first round" or what ever

I'd take the best possible player out of a RB, LT, QB, DE, DT, LB,
but I'd definitely would build my team in trenches

EMB6903
03-23-2009, 12:22 AM

build through the draft inside out along with draft a "franchise QB" and pray he can make it in the NFL

bullis26
03-23-2009, 12:23 AM
build through the inside out along with draft a "franchise QB" and pray he can make it in the NFL

david carr? you need a line for that QB to succeed

EMB6903
03-23-2009, 12:33 AM
david carr? you need a line for that QB to succeed

do you not know what "build inside out" means?

Northman
03-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Here's what i would do. I havent figured out what i would do with the rest of the Oline in FA but this is a start.

2009 FA's picked up:

David Carr- QB
Devery Henderson- WR
Tra Thomas- OL
Mike Nugent- K
Bertrand Berry- DE

2009 Draft:

#1- Aaron Curry LB
#2- Donald Brown RB
#3- Lawrence Sidbury DE
#4- Shawn Nelson TE
#5- Mohamed Massaquoi WR
#6- Jon Cooper C
#7- Stephen Hodge S

-------------------------------------------------------
2010 FA's Picked up:

Braylon Edwards WR (2010 4th 7th, 2011 1st)
Darryl Tapp DE
Atari Bigby CB
Haloti Ngata DT (2011 2nd, 2012 1st)

2010 Draft:

#1- Taylor Mays S
#2- Colt McCoy QB
#3- Charles Scott RB
#5- James Williams OT
#6- Jeff Byers OG

Medford Bronco
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Build a stong defense first. For the most part, good teams always can get off the field when they have to.

Also build a good O Line so your QB does not get killed. You can win by having a good/great defense and an average offense that does not make mistakes. Or having a good offense and a great defense.

All D Baltimore in 2000
Mostly D Tampa in 2002
good offense and better defense. NYG in 2007.

Its hard to be a run and gun team that places litte or no empasis on D. The only exceptions I can think of that had ok defense with great offenses were
the 1999 Rams, 98 Broncos, 2006 Colts and the Pats of 2007 (who did not win the Super Bowl)

Bottom line is if you look over the last 30 years since the NFL expanded to 16 games, more often than not the teams had a better Defense than offense.

Its easier to get good with a good D than a great offense.

Very few teams had both.

The exceptions were the 49ers of the 80s
Cowboys of the early 90s and Pittsburgh of the last 2 Super Bowl teams
in the 70s (not the first two they won in 74-75)

build in the trenches, like Vince Lomardi preached. The tradition of football
has not changed. If you can run the ball and stop the run, more often than
not you will be right in the mix of at least 10 wins in a season.

West
03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I think drafting a QB #1 when starting a franchise is about the stupidest thing ever. I'd sign an experienced QB like a Jeff Garcia.

I'd take the approach the Chargers did a while back. Trade down to about 4-7 and draft the best player available while getting more much needed picks. Preferrably a LT (Oher, Jason Smith, Andre Smith), LB (Maulauga or Curry), or RB (Beanie Wells or Knowshon). Then draft a QB in round 2 or later, like maybe a Josh Freeman or Graham Harrell to be groomed behind Garcia so he isn't thrown to the wolves like David Carr was. (Being drafted #1 ruined his career).

I'd really try and put a good OL together before putting together a good defense. IMO, it all starts on the OL.

Poet
03-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I would look at installing the 3-4 defense for my team's defense. The major priorities would be NT, a solid DE, and one great pass rushing LB.

For my offense I would want to be shored up at Center and LT. A veteran QB would be another huge priority (he would be comparable to guys like Jeff Garcia, Charlie Batch, Matt Schuab.)

My draft strategy would be to pick the best player available. Unless, there was a guy of lesser talent (slightly) who would fit my system better.

In free agency I would look at being a mover and shaker. I wouldn't be a Washington Redskin type player, but more like the Eagles. I would not be scared to drop a chunk of cash on someone that is proven who can help me, but I wouldn't be doing it every year.

Poet
03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I think drafting a QB #1 when starting a franchise is about the stupidest thing ever. I'd sign an experienced QB like a Jeff Garcia.

I'd take the approach the Chargers did a while back. Trade down to about 4-7 and draft the best player available while getting more much needed picks. Preferrably a LT (Oher, Jason Smith, Andre Smith), LB (Maulauga or Curry), or RB (Beanie Wells or Knowshon). Then draft a QB in round 2 or later, like maybe a Josh Freeman or Graham Harrell to be groomed behind Garcia so he isn't thrown to the wolves like David Carr was. (Being drafted #1 ruined his career).

I'd really try and put a good OL together before putting together a good defense. IMO, it all starts on the OL.

Nice post.

I think it depends on who the QB is and how sure you are about him. If you think the guy is a true stud and you think that he has it, I would take him. Then again, it depends on your team and its needs.

Trading back to get picks is always a sound move if your scouts are good. To me it's all a gamble, and you have to try to play the percentages, even though they don't exist. I think you can make a good draft pick and have it fail. David Pollack could be classified as a bust for the Bengals, but at the end of the 05 season he was killing it. Then the next year he broke his neck. :mad:

For me, it's all about the defense. The Patriots had the best offense ever and lost to a great pass rushing team. If you can rush the passer and disguise it well, you are goign to be beating most offensive teams. Hell, the Ravens and the Steelers play twice a year, and the Steelers usually win because they have the better defense, the Ravens just have the flashier defense (not knocking the Ravens D, they are elite and can play, but to me they are overrated).

I want pass rushers on my team, because if you have a solid offense that can occasioanlly get ahead, you can force teams to throw against you. It also nixes the need for a true standout CB, which is an expensive position to pay.

I can't say that your way is wrong, because the team that I would model mine after is the Steelers. Historically they have a great offensive line, and in 05 they had a stellar line. This year their line was not as bad as it appeared, but they were not very good either. If you have a great line then you can run the ball with anyone - that is a huge part of the Steelers game historically.

There are a lot of good ways to go about it. The Patriots built a modern day dynasty off of a spread the ball around offense and HB screens and draws. They were built to be a turnover defense that was still solid against the run.

I think it all comes down to having a legit system that you can plug guys in. At the very least, you need to have good scouts who can take advantage of other team's mishaps, or at least find real value in every round.

You need to be able to recover from your own mistakes though. Last year the Bengals took Keith Rivers. LB was a big need, but part of me thinks that we only took him because he was as "safe" of a pick that any player ever really could be.

That's why I would want to be an active FA guy because I can fill voids with quality players who fit several systems and give myself chances to hit draft day home runs.

bullis26
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
build through the draft inside out along with draft a "franchise QB" and pray he can make it in the NFL

but you did say you'd draft a franchise QB

EMB6903
03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
but you did say you'd draft a franchise QB

yes thats what I said

But when saying "build inside out" it means build through oline and dline first, thats why I was confused when you had responded "david carr? you need an oline for that QB to succeed" because I had just said in my previous comment that I wanted to build through the oline and dline.

You must have had a hard to comprehending that.

bullis26
03-23-2009, 05:55 PM
yes thats what I said

But when saying "build inside out" it means build through oline and dline first, thats why I was confused when you had responded "david carr? you need an oline for that QB to succeed" because I had just said in my previous comment that I wanted to build through the oline and dline.

You must have had a hard to comprehending that.

i just thought you meant frachise QB first, then build the tranches afterwords

EMB6903
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
i just thought you meant frachise QB first, then build the tranches afterwords

didnt I say "build through the draft inside out" before I even mentioned Quarterback?? :confused:

anton...
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
i would eat kittens...

bullis26
03-23-2009, 06:15 PM
didnt I say "build through the draft inside out" before I even mentioned Quarterback?? :confused:

yes but "franchise" quarterbacks are ussually found in the first rd.....notice the ""

West
03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I would look at installing the 3-4 defense for my team's defense. The major priorities would be NT, a solid DE, and one great pass rushing LB.
Yes. I'd trade back to a team with 2 1st rounders and draft Terrence Cody with one of those. NT is the most important position in the 3-4 defense bar none.

For my offense I would want to be shored up at Center and LT. A veteran QB would be another huge priority (he would be comparable to guys like Jeff Garcia, Charlie Batch, Matt Schuab.)
Matt Schuab is far from a veteran. Garcia would be ideal but I see what your saying.

My draft strategy would be to pick the best player available. Unless, there was a guy of lesser talent (slightly) who would fit my system better.
Yes.

In free agency I would look at being a mover and shaker. I wouldn't be a Washington Redskin type player, but more like the Eagles. I would not be scared to drop a chunk of cash on someone that is proven who can help me, but I wouldn't be doing it every year.
Nobody wants to be like the Redskins. They are like the Yankees of football. IMO team chemistry is huge and throwing money at big name players with big egos is retarded and Dan Snyder should have been fired a long time ago with his strategy

----------------

bullis26
03-23-2009, 09:51 PM
----------------

dan snyder owns the team.....who would fire him?

West
03-23-2009, 10:43 PM
dan snyder owns the team.....who would fire him?

Touche. He's the worst owner than.

bullis26
03-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Touche. He's the worst owner than.

you do pay attention to the afc west right? ever heard of a guy named al davis? i might even say jerry jones is a worse owner than synder now

West
03-23-2009, 10:58 PM
you do pay attention to the afc west right? ever heard of a guy named al davis? i might even say jerry jones is a worse owner than synder now

I was saying worst owner by the way he puts his teams together. Al Davis goes without saying.

bullis26
03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I was saying worst owner by the way he puts his teams together. Al Davis goes without saying.

haha so al davis is the unquestioned worst owner, everybody should just know that? okay i agree

West
03-23-2009, 11:04 PM
haha so al davis is the unquestioned worst owner, everybody should just know that? okay i agree

Umm.... Yes.

He has single handedly turned the Raiders into the SCLSU Muddogs of the NFL before the Waterboy showed up.

Poet
03-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Mike Brown is by far the worst owner. The Bengals sport the smallest scouting staff with all of 3 scouts, the worst medical staff in the NFL, we consistently make "quality" picks by taking guys who will probably produce but are on the board for a reason (see Chris Henry and Odell Thurman).

Our recent free agency triumphs include franchising Justin Smith but letting that crappy Pro Bowler Steinbach walk, franchising Stacy "I gave up 9.5 sacks and got abused at the line of scrimmage all year long" Andrews, signing Antwam Odom to a 28 million dollar deal, picking up the oh so sought after Sam Adams, and last but not least............oh yeah not addressing the biggest need on the team in center.

Yay.

Al Davis at least was once a great owner. Mike Brown is a disgrace to the NFL, his father Paul Brown, and to the city of Cincinnati. It makes me sick that he can run a franchise into the ground, and that the great Bengal fans are stuck with that loser.

I'd spit on him if he was on fire, but only because it would give me more time to find gasoline to pour on him.

Northman
03-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I think drafting a QB #1 when starting a franchise is about the stupidest thing ever.

Sometimes, and sometimes not. Both Mannings did ok in that senario even though they took their growing pains.

Poet
03-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Sometimes, and sometimes not. Both Mannings did ok in that senario even though they took their growing pains.

Agreed. I think that people get to caught up in "draft day rules". Having a system is fine, but I think you have to approach everything with an open mind. :salute:

West
03-24-2009, 01:43 PM

I said 'when starting a franchise'. IE The Texans

bullis26
03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Mike Brown is by far the worst owner. The Bengals sport the smallest scouting staff with all of 3 scouts, the worst medical staff in the NFL, we consistently make "quality" picks by taking guys who will probably produce but are on the board for a reason (see Chris Henry and Odell Thurman).

Our recent free agency triumphs include franchising Justin Smith but letting that crappy Pro Bowler Steinbach walk, franchising Stacy "I gave up 9.5 sacks and got abused at the line of scrimmage all year long" Andrews, signing Antwam Odom to a 28 million dollar deal, picking up the oh so sought after Sam Adams, and last but not least............oh yeah not addressing the biggest need on the team in center.

Yay.

Al Davis at least was once a great owner. Mike Brown is a disgrace to the NFL, his father Paul Brown, and to the city of Cincinnati. It makes me sick that he can run a franchise into the ground, and that the great Bengal fans are stuck with that loser.

I'd spit on him if he was on fire, but only because it would give me more time to find gasoline to pour on him.

we're talking about currently the worst owner....Al Davis is clearly a worse owner....Javon Walker, Deangelo Hall, Gabril Wilson what did you guys do in oakland....Al davis gave them some CASH

EMB6903
03-25-2009, 01:28 AM

Al Davis might be horrible now, but he has credibility in this league, something snyder doesnt have.... Hes a huge part of why the NFL is where it today... not to mention 3 superbowls.

and Jerry Jones is a great owner... one of the best, what makes you say otherwise?

bullis26
03-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Al Davis might be horrible now, but he has credibility in this league, something snyder doesnt have.... Hes a huge part of why the NFL is where it today... not to mention 3 superbowls.

and Jerry Jones is a great owner... one of the best, what makes you say otherwise?

We're talking about ownership RIGHT now..... jerry jones is a great owner? hes a dictator.... i guess he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in here but he isnt a great owner

Wade Phillips?

ToTheHouse
03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
To start things off, I would NOT draft a franchise QB with the first pick in franchise history. The logic I see in it is this, if you're an expansion team, you're most likely not going to succeed within the first 3 years. That basically gives you 3 years to find a QB of your liking. I'd rather spend that first 3 years, building a foundation in a line, creating a running game, and a strong defense. The QB can come later, and when that QB comes, then he can take the team to the next level within the next 2 years.

So after 5 years I'd expect to be at least in the conference championship game.

As I mentioned before, I'd be a defensive, pound the ball team. My philosophy would be to stop the run, and to established a running game. That's what I would live and die by. Those types of teams win championships. I don't care about the passing game. Compare a team that is 20th in the league in passing, 5th in the league in rushing, and 3rd in defense vs. a team that is 2nd in the league in passing, 13th in the league in rushing, and 15th in defense. What team do you think is going to be better? What team do you think is going to have a championship?

Honestly, if I had the first pick in the draft with an expansion team, unless there was a player of the millennium that you ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT PASS UP ON, I'd end up trading down for more picks.

The blocking schemes that I would implement for the offensive line would be split 50/50 between the zone blocking scheme, and gap scheme blocking. A lot of pulling, and a lot of moving up front. It would require a lot of athleticism up front, but it would pay off in the end.

The passing game would be a "take what the defense" gives you philosophy. During the week, I'd have two different gameplans. One where the defense is aggressive, and one where the defense is conservative. On the first drive of each game, I'd run an air-it-out passing play just to see what the defense is going to give me. After that, depending on whether the defense is playing conservatively, or aggressively, I'd run one of the two gameplans that I mentioned before that takes advantage of what the defense is trying to do to me.

Defensively I'd run a cover 2 type defense with some man-to-man switched in there occasionally. There would be blitzes, and my defense would require a strong, physical safety to come up and play the run, and blitz the quarterback. Think of the role that John Lynch played in 2005. It would be very similar to that.

My LBs would be built around speed, my line would be built around strength, and my secondary would be built around a combination of both. I'd run a lot of press, which would require the CBs to be physical. I'd have a "center-fielder" at safety who just watches the play develop and reacts. He'd have to be very smart and instinctive, spend a lot of time in the film room, and just be overall very dedicated. Then I'd also have the aforementioned physical safety, who has to be ready to come up and hit.

And that would be my main philosophy. I could go into it deeper, but I'm trying to watch March Madness too. Haha.

frenchfan
04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
First, I'll take a good coach who knows how to build a team...
Then, I'll pick a good GM...
And I'd hear them...
:D

Anyway, like some of you said, I'd go with D and trenches first. I'll have a Ravens oriented way to build the team : great D, good running game...
After that, I'll pray to find my franchise QB.

I too think that it's better to have a great D and trenches and a no mistake O... Add a great QB to that and you'll have a dynasty.
I do love the passing game (Elway made me loved that game), but I do know it's not what makes you a champion. After all, didn't Elway thrown for only 121 yards for his 1st SB win? ;)

:beer:

Joel
05-06-2009, 02:05 AM
It would depend on what's available in the draft, really. I'd want to start at LT, and probably have both my tackles before drafting a QB, but if the best tackle is mediocre and the top player overall is a future HoF safety, you don't want to pass up an opportunity you may not have again soon. Of course, that brings up another question: Do you mean I get the top pick the first two years and then the #16 IN ADDITION to my normal first round picks, or instead of them? Because, realistically, the new expansion team is probably going to have the top pick the first two years anyway, and will likely be picking in the top five for as many years.

I'd want one of the top five players in the draft, preferably top three, at OT, NT or OLB, and I would go with a 3-4 D because I think the style of current NFL offenses suits it; the League has moved to spread offenses with lots of sort underneath routes, so I want a D designed to play that, which the 3-4 is. In a more run oriented League I'd go 4-3 and look for ends and LBs, but that's not where we are.

Beyond that, I'd probably look to trade second and/or third round picks as well as first round picks 3 years after Year One and 2-3 years out in later seasons for Pro Bowlers in their 3rd-7th seasons at the positions I didn't get in the first two seasons, priorities being:

LT,
NT,
ROLB,
RG,
LOLB,
CB,
LG,
HB,
ILB,
RT,
DE.

I wouldn't draft a QB or receivers early, because I think they both need at least 2 or 3 years of experience, and even if you get a good one, if you throw him out there without any help he will just end up like Carr. By the time he's got a decent team there or elsewhere he'll be lucky if he has any consistency or confidence left to win games. In fact, it might be better to build your line first, especially the tackles, and then pickup the guy you WOULD'VE drafted the first year if QB had been your top priority, since by that time the team that did draft has decided he's a bust because he's been running for his life two or three seasons, so you can look for a trade with a 2nd round pick or one early on the second day.

Safeties are similar, with the FS being the priority, but a trade for an underappreciated one can be had more cheaply than one for a QB. Much the same can be said of a good center: You want experience, and it won't come cheap, but offering a good future pick for a good center who looks bad on an awful team should get you more bang for your buck.

I still don't see you making the playoffs in three years though because you probably won't get more than about a dozen top quality players in that time. If your top 3 picks the first year are starters, and the #1 is a Pro Bowler, that's three. You might get another Pro Bowler the next year, trade the second round pick for the equivalent of another plus a starter to go with him and draft another starter in the third; now you're up to seven. Even if you can turn the top three picks in the next draft into another Pro Bowler or two and 2-3 starters, that's still only an offense or a defense--not both. You MIGHT get a wildcard, but you won't go anywhere.

That's just an amateurs take on the matter.

OrangeHoof
05-06-2009, 04:07 AM
A lot of good ideas here. As much as Charley Casserly turned out to be the punchline of a joke, his original blueprint for building the Texans wasn't that bad. It started with the expansion draft where some high-salary linemen and 2 CBs were drafted. The problem was that Tony Boselli and Ryan Young (the two OTs) never played due to injuries which left a huge hole in the line which then became the undoing of David Carr.

Carr was the other mistake but it was because the Texans were trying to build a team in Cowboy Country and needed a marquee player. Unfortunately, a QB with two bad OTs and receivers with questionable hands.

The #1 overall draft pick has become almost impossible to trade out of and the only three positions where you can justify the expense is QB, LT and DE/DT. In the Texans' case, they could have taken Bryant McKinnie but the that April Casserly still thought Boselli would be their LT. They could have drafted DE Julius Peppers but Dom Capers was wedded to the 3-4 defense and Peppers in not a 3-4 lineman. That left QB which led to David Carr.

The scenario will be different in 2009 than it was in 2002 because of the absence of the CBA in 2010. That will change the whole landscape.

sneakers
05-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Nothing but WR in the first round every year

frenchfan
05-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Nothing but WR in the first round every yearThe best way to shorten your list every year... No need to have 100 players on your list then ;) :laugh:

Anyway... what if all WR are gone before your pick???? :shocked: :Cry: :shots: :D

broncofaninfla
05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
First I would I would assemble a team to perform a talent analysis draft projection of the draft two years into the future. Based on that I would decide what type of schemes I would want on offense and defense. I’d then hire a proven and experienced head coach and assemble a staff of young and up and coming position coaches who specialize on the pre-determined scheme choices. I would then focus on building in free agency initially to the schemes we will be running. My priorities in free agency would be to build veteran offensive and defensive lines and sign a proven NFL QB and a vocal and proven NFL leader at LB. I’d then take the best players available in the draft who fit my scheme choices and slowly infuse youth to a veteran team. After the draft I would sign undrafted rookie free agents to fill specific areas of need. I would avoid players with character issues in free agency and the draft. Initially the team would be predominantly a veteran/journeyman team with a steady infusion of youth all focused to compete for a championship from day 1.

EMB6903
05-07-2009, 01:16 PM
People in here wouldnt draft a Quarterback with the first pick in franchise history even if he was by far the best talent available?

thats foolish

Ill take a signal caller any day if hes the #1 prospect regardless of the BS history you all love to follow.

broncofaninfla
05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
People in here wouldnt draft a Quarterback with the first pick in franchise history even if he was by far the best talent available?

thats foolish

Ill take a signal caller any day if hes the #1 prospect regardless of the BS history you all love to follow.

I agree. If the best player on the board just happens to be a QB, I'd select a QB.

Simple Jaded
05-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Folks do actually seem to be downplaying the role of the Quarterback lately.

"Git yerself a longsnapper or two, an OL, a Safety, a few other things and any ol Jon Kitna can win ya a Superbowl.......just as long as he's polite to his cable guy".

Sounds simple enough.......

T.K.O.
05-07-2009, 04:02 PM
i would hire josh mcdaniels as my hc and see if i could trade my 2 1st rnd picks to chicago and get jay cutler:D

omac
05-08-2009, 02:20 AM

I'd say first get a veteran GM with a proven track record, like Ozzie, Parcels, A.J., Pioli, etc., but since I'm the GM. :D ... get a veteran scouting head and let him build his team of scouts. Also hire proven veteran HCs, not OCs or DCs; guys like Shanny, Marty, Cowher, Holmgren, Dunghy, etc.

Stock the lines first with talent from the draft, but acquire veterans who'll provide some stability. Going all youth is a bad move, as shown by Carl and Herm. Building the OL and the DL will be the first priority. However, since the goal is reaching the playoffs in 3 years, draft a QB and Mike early on, but keep the QB on the bench for at least the 1st year, while learning under the veteran QB. The QB coach is of greatest importance.

Offense and defense skill positions like RB, WR, TE, CB, etc., are much easier to find in FA or the later parts of the draft, so concentrate on using the early rounds of the draft to build the OL and the DL, and to get a top notch QB who will come into his own in his 3rd season.

Just look at the recent approaches and successes that Parcels and Dimitrof have done with "practically" start-up franchises. :D

Elevation inc
05-08-2009, 05:04 AM
well this seemed fun so i will be a bit behind. However i will go on the basis that i was a expansion team before this past draft and that i used 2009 FA and the draft to start

FYI i will be running a 4-3 defense and a pro style offense

First i would hire Steve Spags for HC, Brian Billick For DC, And Mike Mccoy for OC

2009 Expansion FA's

QB- Byron Leftwich, Ryan Fitzpatrick
WR- TJ Housmanzadeh, Devery Henderson, Will Franklin
RB- Correll Buckhalter, Maurice Morris, Michael Pittman, Tatum Bell
TE- LJ smith, jeb Putzier
FB- Heath Evans
OL- T Vernon Carey, T William Tra Thomas, T Erik Pears, G Cooper Carlise,G Brandon Moore, C Matt Birk, C Charles Bently
DL- DE Demetric Evans, DE Antonio smith, DE Ebenezer Ekuban, DE Jason babin, DT Tank Johnson, DT Rocky Bernard, DT Kenny Peterson
OLB- Angelo Crowell, DD lewis, Marcus Washington, Morlon Greenwood
MLB- Mike Peterson, Nick Griesen
S- Sean Jones, Jim Leonhard, Gerald Sensabuagh, Vincent Fuller
CB- Jabari Greer, Dom Foxworth, Dunta Robinson
K- Matt Stover
P- Ryan Placemier

2009 Draft-

1. LT Eugene Monroe
2. C/G Max Unger
3. TE Jared Cook
4. MLB Scott Mckillop
5. LB Daniel Holtzclaw
6. WR Mike Thomas
7. K- Ryan Succop

UDFA- DT Chris Baker, RDE, LB Braxton Kelly, CB Tony Carter, RB Keshtan Moore, WR nate swift, Wr Travis shelton, OG Evan-Deitreich smith, OT Brandon Pearce , P Dustin Colquitt, FB marquez branson, S Colt andersen(12 UDFA)

2009 Depth Chart

QB Byron Leftwich/Ryan Fitzpatrick
RB Corell Buckhalter/Maurice Morris/Michael Pittman, Tatum Bell
FB- Heath evans/Marquez Branson
TE- Jeb Putzier/LJ Smith/Jared Cook
WR- TJ Housh/Devery Henderson/Will Franklin/Mike Thomas/Travis Shelton
OT- Eugene Monroe/Vernon Carey/Tra Thomas
OG- Cooper Carlisle/Brandon Moore/Max Unger
C- Matt Birk/Charles Bentley

LDE- Demetric Evans/Ebenezer Ekuban
RDE- Antonio Smith/Jason Babin
NT- Tank Johnson/Rocky Bernard
UT- Kenny Peterson/Chris Baker
WLB- DD Lewis/Marcus Washington
MLB- Mike Peterson/Scott Mckillop/Braxton Kelly
SLB- Angelo Crowell/Morlon Greenwood/Daniel Holtzclaw
SS- Gerald Sensabaugh/Jim Leonhard
FS- Sean Jones/Vincent Fuller
CB- Jabari Greer/Dunta Robinson/Dom Foxworth/Tony Carter

2010 FA

1. TOP DT
2. TOP DE
3. LB
4. FB Depth
5. S Depth
6. K

2010 Draft

1. QB Jevan Sneed (Ole miss)
2. DE Derrick Morgan(Georgia Tech)
3. DT Jared Odrick (Penn State)
4. RB James Starks (Buffalo)
5. WR Mike Williams (Syracuse)
6. G Jaques Mclendon(Tenesse)
7. FB Bobby Mclinktock(Portland State)

UDFA KEY TARGETS- RDE/K/TE/FB/RB/WR

now with 2010 FA and 2011 FA and Draft in the air, I should be setting myself up good with vets and youth through the draft so that when 2011 is rollin i have a good mix of O and D, and a good mix of young, old

With my 2011 16 overall pick i would get a elite Franchsie RB..........

Championship baby:D

CoachChaz
05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Just the basics...assuming I run a 3-4 D

Offense in order of priority
1. QB
2. LT
3. RB
4. WR
5. C

Defense in order of priority (3-4)
1. Rushing OLB
2. CB
3. NT
4. SS
5. DE

broncofanatic1987
05-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I sign a veteran FA starter at: quarterback, WR, OL, DT, DE, MLB, CB, and FS.

With the first pick in the draft of year one, I take either the highest rated LT or DE(since I'm more of a 4-3 kind of guy). With the rest of the picks in the draft of year one, I take BPA.

In year two, I address needs in FA and with the first pick, I take either the highest rated LT or DE, depending on which one I didn't take the year before. The rest of the picks are BPA.

In year three I address needs in FA. In the draft, all picks are BPA regardless of position with strong consideration for a quarterback in the first round.

The general philosophy on defense will be that the DL's main priority will be to stop the run. The DT's will be stout, powerful run stoppers. The LDE will be strong against the run and have adequate pass rushing ability. The RDE will be a better pass rusher and have good run stopping abilities.

The linebackers will be fast and have good coverage abilities and be strong blitzers.

The secondary will be fast with strong man to man coverage skills.

The offense will be run first and as often as it works. The quarterback will be expected to manage the game effectively and not take unnecessary risks. Passes will be expected to be thrown to an open receiver or thrown away. Interceptions better be the result of a great play by the defender or a bad play by the receiver, not because of a bad decision by the quarterback.

Back up players should have strong special teams abilities.

broncofanatic1987
05-09-2009, 01:07 PM
First i would hire Steve Spags for HC, Brian Billick For DC, And Mike Mccoy for OC

Billick would be your OC not your DC. He's an offensive coach. Some might dispute that since he didn't build much of an offense in Baltimore, but that's his specialty.;)

Elevation inc
05-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Billick would be your OC not your DC. He's an offensive coach. Some might dispute that since he didn't build much of an offense in Baltimore, but that's his specialty.;)

i meant billick as my DC he has enough background as a rounded headcoach from his baltimore days, and a good background in defense. in fact i think he is better defensively than offensively. i know all about his stuff on offense with the vikings but i was serious when i said i would want to try him at DC...but rest assured i have been called crazy plenty:D

Broncos r life
05-10-2009, 10:05 AM
because we are clearly a bad team, we need two good players more than two great players. assuming it is next years draft, i trade down with the seahawks and give them our first for their first two picks. let's just say 12 and 16. i take jevan snead with the 12th pick and terrance cody with the 16th. then i trade for chad ochocinco by sacrificing my second round pick this year and next year. in free agency i pay a hell of a lot of money for tedi bruschi so he will come. that's year one.

next year with the first overall pick i take an Offensive Tackle that I can put in front of Jevan Snead. the first overall pick should be safe and this would be the most safe pick i could make and give us a good cornerstone to have.

my final year with the 16th pick, i pick the best cornerback available. now mind you these are all the major moves i make. there would be lots more of course, lots of new free agents, other draft picks, etc. but i think that when you have a team like this with 4 first round picks over 3 years, chad ochocinco, and tedi bruschi this is an excellent team already and would make the playoffs.

lex
06-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Great topic. Im a little late to this but its an interesting topic. First of all, when you say "bring in a lot of fans", I think offense. When you say win, I think defense and trenchplay.

I would run a 3-4 and draft a LT in this year. I would do that because it seems there are more quality LTs this year than there might be next year. Then in year 2, I would take a NT. I would build the team in the trenches. And rely on a veteran QB like Jeff Garcia to play QB. QB is too iffy if you want to make the playoffs in 3 years.

NameUsedBefore
06-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Playoffs in three years?

I'd draft a LT, LB and DL with the first picks, not in any particular order or placement.

Superchop 7
06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I would follow Josh McDaniels blueprint for success.

RedFalcon
06-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I would build a great pass rush...by getting through the draft or free agency or trades, the best players. Than I'd go for improving the Linebackers position and get someone of Bailey's caliber to have the best duo corners. As for Offense, I'd get a QB like Josh Freeman, develop him into a NFL QB and get a powerful duo of RB, one that is fast and elusive and the other one that is power runner, and bruising back. And get my fullbacks to be good receivers for screen passes and good blockers for the RBs to get open spaces. At WR, I would like to have Marshall, Royal, Graham and Scheffler... It's enough to build a good passing game.

At least this is how I built the Broncos in Madden game...and it worked. :D