PDA

View Full Version : Josh McDaniels 1on1 interview

oobehr
03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Scott Hansen of the NFL Network is going to have a 1-on-1 interview some time in the next 3 days at the NFL owners meeting.

Lonestar
03-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Scott Hansen of the NFL Network is going to have a 1-on-1 interview some time in the next 3 days at the NFL owners meeting.

if anyone has an update on this when it happens please post it Thanks gang..

oobehr
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I will post the link here once nfl network puts it online.

ChampWJ
03-22-2009, 11:19 PM
I will post the link here once nfl network puts it online.

This should be good. I bet McD will find some way to not help the situation.

oobehr
03-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Other than the whole cutler debacle, I like the guy and what he has done so far.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Other than the whole cutler debacle, I like the guy and what he has done so far.

Agreed. Just wish we ALL had more fact and info on the debacle in order to make a more educated decision on the situation

Dirk
03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Agreed. Just wish we ALL had more fact and info on the debacle in order to make a more educated decision on the situation

If only we could get the straight story from someone! ha!

Hopefully McD will come out and spill the beans on the whole situation and put to rest any rumors and explain where they are. :coffee:

TXBRONC
03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
If only we could get the straight story from someone! ha!

Hopefully McD will come out and spill the beans on the whole situation and put to rest any rumors and explain where they are. :coffee:

I don't expect it from McDaniels at this juncture but it could happen eventually but Denver would have to be winning in order for that to happen or would have to be with a different team.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 08:37 AM
I wont say it's only McDaniels I dont expect it from...I'll say I dont expect it from ANYONE. We might hear something from the Cutler/Cook camp, but just because that is the main source of info, it doesnt necessarily make it true.

TXBRONC
03-23-2009, 08:41 AM
You might not like Madden and you might even think he's an oaf but he does think this fixable.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11974186

Madden says feud is fixable
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/23/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

DANA POINT, Calif. — This disagreement between the Broncos and their star quarterback is long past the firings of Mike Shanahan and Jeremy Bates.

Jay Cutler said during Super Bowl week he had come around to the changes and was even excited about working with new coach Josh McDaniels.

Nor is this, by itself, about McDaniels trying to trade Cutler for Matt Cassel. Cutler didn't like it, but he said he understood why McDaniels would want to work with the quarterback he coached in New England.

As it stands now, McJaygate could be about nothing other than McDaniels' questionable bedside manner.

"You look at it as an outsider and you wonder, 'What's there?' " said NFL analyst and Hall of Fame coach John Madden. "Where is the meat on this bone? A lot of times it's a guy coming off injury. There's age. There's free agency. There's a contract. But this one seems to be about feelings. And that's the easiest thing to fix. I'm surprised it got this far."

The Broncos are sitting tight with Cutler. They are not planning to trade him, although during these league meetings at the St. Regis Hotel they have been exchanging e-mails and conversations with teams who have shown interest.

It has gotten this far because McJaygate blew up following a meeting March 14 in which Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, sat down with McDaniels and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders.

Cutler and McDaniels both went into the meeting believing differences would be buried. McDaniels did most of the talking. What he said isn't clear — both sides had different interpretations — but it appears McDaniels didn't deliver his message in the manner Cutler had hoped.

A day after the meeting, Cutler formally requested a trade. He did not show up for McDaniels' first team meeting last Monday, nor did he participate in the first week of the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program.

Which brings the Broncos to the league meetings here. The Josh-Jay caper has been the conversation topic of the hotel lobby. "I think most people would look at it and say that's really bizarre because of the year they had offensively and what happened to that team," said former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman. "Everyone felt that offensively they were in pretty good shape. It was just the defensive side of the ball that needs to be corrected."

The Broncos are hoping Cutler will meet one more time with McDaniels. If they get that far, it may be up to McDaniels to find the right words, or tone, to soothe Cutler. If not, trade talks may start becoming more intense.

"You should never get in this kind of thing with your best player," Madden said. "Maybe the player knows it, but is Cutler being a baby? I don't know, but here's your player. It's a simple thing. Fix it."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Dirk
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
"You look at it as an outsider and you wonder, 'What's there?' " said NFL analyst and Hall of Fame coach John Madden. "Where is the meat on this bone?."

I love these lines. Madden is one of a kind...:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Certainly would be nice if McD would talk to the media in Denver, but guess he feels he is better than that, and would prefer talking to the "big boys" instead :tsk:

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Certainly would be nice if McD would talk to the media in Denver, but guess he feels he is better than that, and would prefer talking to the "big boys" instead :tsk:

Why does he need to talk to the media in Denver? The people who misconstrued and worsened this situation from the get go? The best decision McDaniels can probably make is to ignore the media and work on directly fixing the relationship with Cutler. The media doesn't need to be involved in this.

claymore
03-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Why does he need to talk to the media in Denver? The people who misconstrued and worsened this situation from the get go? The best decision McDaniels can probably make is to ignore the media and work on directly fixing the relationship with Cutler. The media doesn't need to be involved in this.

How did the denver media worsten or misconstrue anything? The Boston herald leaked the trade.

Dirk
03-23-2009, 09:36 AM

Agreed. Fix it. Then "leak" it out that all is well.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
How did the denver media worsten or misconstrue anything? The Boston herald leaked the trade.

You seem to be forgetting the numerous articles that had to be edited based on all the speculation; Klis had several in particular. Furthermore, the worsened the situation by contributing to the speculation. The whole, "He said, she said." stuff may have started with the Herald leak, but continued and proliferated by the Denver Post.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Talking to the media does nothing to resolve the situation only makes things worse.. As you can see from the one sided crap coming from the "source":laugh::laugh:

it only makes us feel better and frankly that is not the first priority.. fixing the rift or trading him is..

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Talking to the media does nothing to resolve the situation only makes things worse.. As you can see from the one sided crap coming from the "source":laugh::laugh:

it only makes us feel better and frankly that is not the first priority.. fixing the rift or trading him is..

Well put JR, good perspective.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 09:44 AM

the media got on the band wagon and blew this out of proportion all the while feeding the ego of cook and jay..

claymore
03-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I dont know where to put this. I guess it really doesnt matter with all the Cutler threads. But I liked the read regardless on my feelings for the author.

No Cutler trade? Boldin-Cards deal? More whispers from NFL meetings

News Item: I don't see Jay Cutler getting traded.

That's my feeling after talking to the involved parties for a (insert shameless plug here) Sports Illustrated story this week. Now, I can't say with conviction that Cutler's going to be the Broncos' opening day starter, but I do think coach Josh McDaniels will exhaust every avenue to try to get Cutler to stay, and I do think nothing's going to happen here. Funny thing is, around the lobby and meeting rooms, I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler.

"Say you're the Broncos, and Tampa Bay offers you two ones [two first-round picks] plus [second-year quarterback] Josh Johnson for Cutler,'' one NFC coach told me. "Denver makes the deal and picks a quarterback with one of the ones. You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts too. Denver's problem is they could never get fair value for him.''

I called Charlie Weis, the Notre Dame coach and mentor of McDaniels, and asked what I considered the biggest question McDaniels must ask himself as he figures how far he'll go to keep Cutler: If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

"It's a rhetorical question, but it's one I definitely would ask,'' said Weis, who left the Patriots' for Notre Dame in 2005, ceding the offensive coordinator's role to McDaniels. "That thought would go through my mind. You've got to be able to coach a quarterback, and coach him hard. You don't want to start your relationship that way.

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision?''

Last week, the venom from the Cutler camp was so toxic I said I thought he'd have to be traded. But it was interesting here, listening to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speak to the body of league people (including McDaniels) and media here Sunday night. She talked at one point about how "history has a long arc,'' and how you have to take a long view of things. If you're always chasing the day's headlines, she said, you'll eventually become so reactionary that you'll ignore long-term good for short-term satisfaction, and you'll fail. I was thinking of McDaniels and Denver management. I think, like Rice used to do in the Middle East, the Broncos will exhaust all diplomatic means. And with agent Bus Cook on record as saying Cutler will report to mandatory mini-camps and training camp, why trade the guy, there's certainly no reason to do anything fast ... even if that means you don't have a definitive answer on Cutler by draft day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/

claymore
03-23-2009, 09:48 AM
the media got on the band wagon and blew this out of proportion all the while feeding the ego of cook and jay..

McDaniels did a terrible job of squashing this. Your quick to point the finger at McD, but this IS his fault. Jay didnt start this.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2009, 09:50 AM

He needs to talk to the media in Denver, if nothing more than general comments in regards to the Broncos. To me, this shows nothing more than disrespect for not only the media in Denver, but also the fans.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 10:08 AM
He needs to talk to the media in Denver, if nothing more than general comments in regards to the Broncos. To me, this shows nothing more than disrespect for not only the media in Denver, but also the fans.

No, it doesn't show disrespect to the fans or the media. Even if he did speak to the media, people would bitch about what he said anyways. Closure would be impossible for those who have already made McDaniels out to be the Great Satan.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-23-2009, 10:09 AM
McDaniels did a terrible job of squashing this. Your quick to point the finger at McD, but this IS his fault. Jay didnt start this.

And McDaniels did? LOL.

claymore
03-23-2009, 10:17 AM
And McDaniels did? LOL.

Yes.

NightTrainLayne
03-23-2009, 10:19 AM

If I were McDaniels the Denver media is the last outlet I'd talk to after the way they "welcomed" him to Denver.

Long before the Cutler fiasco I posted regarding two or three articles something along the lines of "sheesh, can't we let the guy at least get started before we string him up?"

From the beginning there have been several articles that were (I think) unjustly critical of McDaniels. It was obvious to me that whoever had replaced Shanny would have had an impossible task of winning over the Denver media. Denver media thinks Bowlen made a mistake firing Shanny and they're going to prove that they're right by running the replacement into the ground. .. even though he didn't have anything to do with the firing.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Your are utterly and completely wrong the minute Jay opened his yap to the press any and many times without talking to the front office he went on record of being a cry baby..

I will not list when and where because the are many and epic..

All we know for happened was trhat Josh the Head coach did what he could have been fired for if he had not.. Listen to reasonable deal concerning his team..

you are so consumed with your either hate for Josh/love of mikey or man love for jay you can't see the forest for the trees..

take your choice..

Josh was doing his job listening to trade talks.. that is all.

jay was opening mouth and inserting foot without consulting Josh/Xman/Pat before blubbering out what he did on more than one occasion..

if you are not able to get this one that is all..

claymore
03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Your are utterly and completely wrong the minute Jay opened his yap to the press any and many times without talking to the front office he went on record of being a cry baby..

I will not list when and where because the are many and epic..

All we know for happened was trhat Josh the Head coach did what he could have been fired for if he had not.. Listen to reasonable deal concerning his team..

you are so consumed with your either hate for Josh/love of mikey or man love for jay you can't see the forest for the trees..

take your choice..

Josh was doing his job listening to trade talks.. that is all.

jay was opening mouth and inserting foot without consulting Josh/Xman/Pat before blubbering out what he did on more than one occasion..

if you are not able to get this one that is all..

I think your drunk.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM

yes he does need to talk to the media.. about the state of the broncos..

But not about this, all that happens is feeding the sharks.. and jays tender ego gets bruised even more damaged.. there is NO need to inflame this at this time..

Just as you never ever reprimand an employee in front of their peers you ALWAYS do it in private.. You do not try this in the press..

Basic rule of management 101..

turftoad
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
yes he does need to talk to the media.. about the state of the broncos..

But not about this, all that happens is feeding the sharks.. and jays tender ego gets bruised even more damaged.. there is NO need to inflame this at this time..

Just as you never ever reprimand an employee in front of their peers you ALWAYS do it in private.. You do not try this in the press..

Basic rule of management 101..

I think Josh forgot to take that class or else he failed it. :D

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
If I were McDaniels the Denver media is the last outlet I'd talk to after the way they "welcomed" him to Denver.

Long before the Cutler fiasco I posted regarding two or three articles something along the lines of "sheesh, can't we let the guy at least get started before we string him up?"

From the beginning there have been several articles that were (I think) unjustly critical of McDaniels. It was obvious to me that whoever had replaced Shanny would have had an impossible task of winning over the Denver media. Denver media thinks Bowlen made a mistake firing Shanny and they're going to prove that they're right by running the replacement into the ground. .. even though he didn't have anything to do with the firing.

Your on the money here and we have many members here that have such a man love for jay or mickey that they flat will not give anyone that does not kiss their ass the benefit of the doubt..

I mikey had stayed the mastermind or jay was not a mental/ego midget about this trivial issue and had the huevos to set down one on one with his head coach and discuss it. Had that happened I might have been able to be convinced that Josh was the bad guy here..

prior to all of this jay seemed to be able to talk football with his new HC QB coach..

but ego took over at the pro bowl just as it has for every Bronco save TD, Rod and John.. once that kicked in and his agent started whispering in his year about ONLY making 1.3 mil this year. any chance at resolving this went into the toilet..

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I think Josh forgot to take that class or else he failed it. :D

I hope the grinny face means your joking..:salute:

turftoad
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
I hope the grinny face means your joking..:salute:

Not really, he sure hasn't handled this whole ordeal very well.

claymore
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Your on the money here and we have many members here that have such a man love for jay or mickey that they flat will not give anyone that does not kiss their ass the benefit of the doubt..

I mikey had stayed the mastermind or jay was not a mental/ego midget about this trivial issue and had the huevos to set down one on one with his head coach and discuss it. Had that happened I might have been able to be convinced that Josh was the bad guy here..

prior to all of this jay seemed to be able to talk football with his new HC QB coach..

but ego took over at the pro bowl just as it has for every Bronco save TD, Rod and John.. once that kicked in and his agent started whispering in his year about ONLY making 1.3 mil this year. any chance at resolving this went into the toilet..Or maybe Jay said, if this douche bag McDaniels wants to trade me for a 1st year (non pro bowl) player making 14 million dollars a year, the lack of loyalty will cost them.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Not really, he sure hasn't handled this whole ordeal very well.

so tell me what did he blow?

Taking the call

Saying NO to the trade.

Trying to talk to Jay one on ONE

Telling jay the rules of the broncos

NOT Kissing jays ass.

Not trying this in the press.

I do not see anything there that anyone could condemn him for doing..

If you bring up lying to jay well that has not been proved..

as has none of the things Josh has been accused of doing..

sorry I do not see that Josh is a bad guy like some are trying to cast him as..

WARHORSE
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Sorry. They werent 'unjustly' critical of McD.

When youre a first year headcoach of the Denver Broncos, coming into the situation of following a HOF coach with a resume that could be scrutinized critically by many, you better understand your situation.

People just sat back and watched and waited to see what McDaniels would do.

Boom.

He made a mistake that lit up a crapstorm not only in Denver, but across the nation.

You are GOING to be scrutinized everyday of your coaching tenure here.

Some will go harder against you more than others. Get used to it, cause its part of the job.

On the other side of that coin, there have been reporters that have done the same to Cutler.

Once again.........part of the job.

claymore
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Taking the call

Saying NO to the trade.

NOT Kissing jays ass.

We dont know yet. But I would assume, he didnt do a better job of conveying the franchises loyalty towards Cutler.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Or maybe Jay said, if this douche bag McDaniels wants to trade me for a 1st year (non pro bowl) player making 14 million dollars a year, the lack of loyalty will cost them.

lack of loyalty to whom?

A guy that has several years expreince in Joshes system?

or a guy that is whining about nothing.

One forgets that all contracts are redone when trades are made.. well maybe not all of them.. But most LOGICAL folks know that anyone with a long term contract either want more money up front or those with short term contracts as this one is want long term deals..

BTW were you one of those that was saying the Pro Bowl was just a popularity contest anyway a few years ago..

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I hate the term Pro Bowl anyway. Not only is a popularity contest, but anyone with reason can see that at least one other player deserved that spot ahead of Cutler. if justice is served, that term is non-existent in ANY argument

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
We dont know yet. But I would assume, he didnt do a better job of conveying the franchises loyalty towards Cutler.

for GODS sake he told him he was a mere mortal and could be traded like everyone else on the team I repeat the term TEAM, if it would be best for the TEAM..

obviously jay fragile EGO could not realize that there is NO I in TEAM..

sorry as much as I hoped that jay would be the second coming this pretty much shows me he is out there for jay and not the team...

it has always been about show me the money.. follow the money folks..

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
NFL Network said the interview will be shown tonight at 7 eastern.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
At least I know what time NOT to watch NFLN. I'm so tired of the attention this BS is taking away from the TEAM. Show me an update on how guys are doing in training or how we're healing from injuries.

claymore
03-23-2009, 01:59 PM
for GODS sake he told him he was a mere mortal and could be traded like everyone else on the team I repeat the term TEAM, if it would be best for the TEAM..

obviously jay fragile EGO could not realize that there is NO I in TEAM..

sorry as much as I hoped that jay would be the second coming this pretty much shows me he is out there for jay and not the team...

it has always been about show me the money.. follow the money folks..
So let me get this straight.... McD tells Cutler he can be traded at any time to benefit the team, yet you are mad at Cutler being shocked and hurt at the lack of loyalty, then asking to be traded?

If its a business its a business.

At the end of the day you cannot handle employees this way. Let alone the most valubale employee you have.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
So let me get this straight.... McD tells Cutler he can be traded at any time to benefit the team, yet you are mad at Cutler being shocked and hurt at the lack of loyalty, then asking to be traded?

At the end of the day you cannot handle employees this way. Let alone the most valubale employee you have.

clay, why even bother. the cutler bashers think mcd can do no wrong and jcut is the sole reason we went 8-8 last year. if we would have made the playoffs and lost in the first round they would still blame cutler.

ChampWJ
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
clay, why even bother. the cutler bashers think mcd can do no wrong and jcut is the sole reason we went 8-8 last year. if we would have made the playoffs and lost in the first round they would still blame cutler.

Good points. I think we were lucky to be 8-8 last year, and I actually give Cutler a lot of credit for that. It could have been much, much worse with a lesser QB. Kansas City or Oakland worse.

turftoad
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Taking the call

Saying NO to the trade.

NOT Kissing jays ass.

Just taking a call???

Jim, did you miss the articles that had McD ADMITTING that he actively TRIED to trade Cutler. Or are you just ignoring that FACT?

He denied it at first, then to later admit to doing just that. That is lying.

Then Bowlen says he doesn't remember the conversation he and Jay had before he hired McD when he told Jay that the "O" was going to pretty much stay as is.

Those iare not good management skills and well over half the analysts don't think it is either.
It's just not a good way to go about something like this.

Is Cutler hurt and whinning about this? Sure he is. He's our QB by default as TD said. That sucks and so is the way this whole thing is being handled.

They are both at fault but to say McD did a great job with this is very incorrect IMO.
You can't blame Jay ONLY.

BroncoJoe
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM

I haven't read anyone type that. But, the constant anointment of him as the next coming is premature at best.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Where are the Cutler bashers? And who thinks McD can do no wrong? All I see is a bunch of people proclaimimng Cutler to be the next great thing that should be coddled regardless...and another group saying McDaniels knows more than we do and hasnt had a chance to prove anything yet.

Find me one "Cutler basher/McDaniels lover" that does NOT want Cutler on the team.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Just taking a call???

Jim, did you miss the articles that had McD ADMITTING that he actively TRIED to trade Cutler. Or are you just ignoring that FACT?

I asked someone to find me these quotes last week because I apparently missed them. Still havent seen them yet.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 02:57 PM
elway called him a top 5 QB......that's JOHN elway to you. :coffee:

claymore
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Where are the Cutler bashers? And who thinks McD can do no wrong? All I see is a bunch of people proclaimimng Cutler to be the next great thing that should be coddled regardless...and another group saying McDaniels knows more than we do and hasnt had a chance to prove anything yet.

Find me one "Cutler basher/McDaniels lover" that does NOT want Cutler on the team.

Jrwiz, he doesnt even want Cutler to live in Denver. :D

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
elway called him a top 5 QB......that's JOHN elway to you. :coffee:

Yeah, because former players are ALWAYS the best judges of talent. We have the ever insightful crews on ESPN, Fox, NFLN, etc. to prove that to us.

There is no doubt that Cutler "could" be top 5 or even top 2 talent. Will we ever know?

turftoad
03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
I asked someone to find me these quotes last week because I apparently missed them. Still havent seen them yet.

Coach, they did find them for you. I found one and someone else posted from Peter King where McD admitted it also.

There are so damn many of these threads that who the hell knows where they are buried. :D

turftoad
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM

OK, here you go:

Can someone show a link to the quote where McD said he TRIED to trade Jay and then admitted to lying?

Not saying it doesnt exist, just dont remember reading it. TIA

I don't know where the whole article is but this is what was in the article. And no, it want Peter King, I htink it may have been Reggie Rivers.

This what Josh told Jay.

"Cutler also said that he felt like he could no longer trust McDaniels since, at first, the coach told him that he didn’t try to trade for Cassel, who was ultimately traded from the New England Patriots to the Kansas City Chiefs, only to later acknowledge that actually was the case.

That, my friend is McDanials lying.

And here:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11945954

Paige: Don't destroy franchise
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/19/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

Go ahead, trade Jay Cutler! Get rid of him! Really, really punish him by sending him to Detroit! Or, better still, Siberia! Purge the pouter! Kick him to the curb and throw him under the Bus Cook!

But, remember this: Those Jeffs-, Jodys-, Jaspers-, Joshes- come-lately had better study the Broncos' history, or they are doomed to repeat the three-, four- and five-victory seasons.

Two words: Steve Ramsey.

Two more words: Steve Tensi.

Two more words: Steve DeBerg.

Lord, what fools these mortals be! — Billy Shakespeare

To all the mortals inside Broncos Compound and outside Pigeon Valley who are demanding that Cutler be dumped like a load of coal, don't come crying to me after you've made that monumental mistake. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

Give me a quarterback who pouts and cares, who is furious and doesn't return phone calls, who wears a Ringo Starr hairstyle, his cap on backward and his shirttail sticking out, who is boastful and remote and who soon will be one of the top five at his position in the NFL.

I'll give you a quarterback who is gracious and affable, who has excellent table manners and wears an Armani suit, who has a smile on his face and a George Hamilton tan on his body, who likes to tweet on his Twitter and show up at your kid's birthday party dressed as a purple dinosaur, and who will be a guy who always plays just good enough to get you beat.

Matt Robinson, traded to the Broncos when he was 25, possessed a pleasant disposition and a nice car. He was an awful quarterback — two touchdowns and 12 interceptions in seven starts — and shuffled off to Buffalo the next season.

People, including a head coach, who haven't lived in Denver for a long time, or aren't old enough to recall the seasons before 1977, may not be aware that the Broncos have suited up 57 quarterbacks since 1960.

There have been 50 — count 'em — 50 different starting quarterbacks for the Broncos in 49 seasons.

The vast majority couldn't play dead.

One ended up living under a bridge.

So, you want to go back to Frank Tripucka, Mickey Slaughter, Max Choboian, Bubby Brister and George "Don't Call Me Bernard" Shaw.

Or the three Steves, Tensi, Ramsey and DeBerg.

Tensi and Ramsey were "retired" by age 29. DeBerg had three winning seasons as a full-time starter.

The first names of three of the Broncos' four best quarterbacks begin with "J" — John, Jake and Jay. The other was Craig Morton. Three of the four played quarterback for the Broncos in 31 postseason games, eight conference championships and six Super Bowls.

Of all the rest, only six played quarterback in postseason games.

Cutler is the best quarterback the Broncos have picked in the collegiate draft. (Don't hand me ex-starters Brian Griese, Tommy Maddox or Mark Herrmann.)

In 1983 the Colts drafted a young, pouting, defiant quarterback who demanded to be traded, and he was sent to Denver. The Colts didn't recover until drafting another great quarterback No. 1 in 1998, Peyton Manning.

In 1991 the Cleveland Browns hired the league's youngest head coach. He feuded with his starting quarterback, Bernie Kosar (who had lifted the Browns to three AFC championship games, only to lose to the Broncos), and eventually replaced him with Vinny Testaverde. Kosar took over for the injured Troy Aikman in the NFC championship and led the Cowboys to the victory. The Browns coach, with a 36-44 record, was fired after the 1995 season. Bill Belichick.

Shall we be clear about McJaygate? After the first reports about the trade gone awry surfaced, coach Josh McDaniels told Mike Klis of The Denver Post: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback."

A few days ago McDaniels told Peter King of Sports Illustrated that he did pursue a deal with New England for Matt Cassel, but "I think we were too late to the dance."
This is not a prom. It's pro football.

If I were the coach, I'd fly to Nashville and tell Cutler: "I'm sorry. I made a rookie mistake. You're our quarterback."

But, Josh, and Jeff and Jody and you, go ahead and run Jay out of Our Dusty Old Cowtown, for spite.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
The only quote I see here is "I think we were too late to the dance." The "pursue" part is the writers assessment.

I hate to be picky, but if we are going to make decisions based on what we read into something we didnt witness, then I think we can rubute them as well.

BroncoJoe
03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
The only quote I see here is "I think we were too late to the dance." The "pursue" part is the writers assessment.

I hate to be picky, but if we are going to make decisions based on what we read into something we didnt witness, then I think we can rubute them as well.

Someone (NTL, I think) posted the entire article. The "late to the dance" is totally misrepresented.

turftoad
03-23-2009, 03:21 PM

This what Josh told Jay.

"Cutler also said that he felt like he could no longer trust McDaniels since, at first, the coach told him that he didn’t try to trade for Cassel, who was ultimately traded from the New England Patriots to the Kansas City Chiefs, only to later acknowledge that actually was the case.

That, my friend is McDanials lying.

This one.

BroncoJoe
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
This one.

That's Cutler and/or his agent talking.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Exactly. I want to see something from McDaniels, quoting him as saying "I tried like hell to get rid of Jay for someone I liked better".

I'm not saying it never happened...but I'm not going to judge the guy or his actions based on assumption or words twisted by the media.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
why would jay make it up?

turftoad
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Either way fellas, I think it's pretty safe to say that he did more than just answer the phone and field offers.
He said himself that he was late for the dance.
That tells me he wanted to do something but it was to late.

tomjonesrocks
03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow--every thread now is like the movie "Groundhog Day"...

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Either way fellas, I think it's pretty safe to say that he did more than just answer the phone and field offers.
He said himself that he was late for the dance.
That tells me he wanted to do something but it was to late.

...and IF that were the case, who is to say it wouldnt possibly put us in a better situation? Maybe Cutler isnt the next icon of QB greatness. Maybe he doesnt have the mindset to run this offense. Who knows?

I'd like to think McDaniels does. At least a WHOLE lot more than we do.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM

I'm not saying it's "made up". That could just be an assumption based on a misunderstanding.

Everyone here thinks that anyone that doesnt agree McD is a chump is immediately a Cutler basjer that wants to see him traded now.

That too is an assumption based on a misunderstanding

BroncoJoe
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

turftoad
03-23-2009, 03:35 PM
...and IF that were the case, who is to say it wouldnt possibly put us in a better situation? Maybe Cutler isnt the next icon of QB greatness. Maybe he doesnt have the mindset to run this offense. Who knows?

I'd like to think McDaniels does. At least a WHOLE lot more than we do.

Agreed. However, if it did hapen that way, which I have no reason to think it didn't, McD still lied about it and tried to cover it up and then admitted it later.
That is lying to you star QB and one of your employees.

Not a good way manage the sitch. imo

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Agreed. However, if it did hapen that way, which I have no reason to think it didn't, McD still lied about it and tried to cover it up and then admitted it later.
That is lying to you star QB and one of your employees.

Not a good way manage the sitch. imo

If he fielded the call, admitted he took the call as well as calls for others, then said the offer was rejected, then told Jay, we looked at a trade that because we want what is best for the team, but we were "too late to the dance". Then told Jay, you are our QB, but every player can be dealt if it improves the team (loosely translated: Do your job well and you have security).

Then how did he lie? Other than skewed stories and vague quotes, we have only the words of an upset Cutler and Cook to even hint at the fact that a lie occurred.

turftoad
03-23-2009, 03:47 PM
If he fielded the call, admitted he took the call as well as calls for others, then said the offer was rejected, then told Jay, we looked at a trade that because we want what is best for the team, but we were "too late to the dance". Then told Jay, you are our QB, but every player can be dealt if it improves the team (loosely translated: Do your job well and you have security).

Then how did he lie? Other than skewed stories and vague quotes, we have only the words of an upset Cutler and Cook to even hint at the fact that a lie occurred.

If he said he didn't TRY to trade Jay then later admitted to Jay thet he did, that is lying.

If he told Peter King that he did PURSUE the trade after he said that he didn't, as stated in the article stated.
That, is a lie also.

Then again, we all believe what we want to believe.

I believe that he wanted Cassel all a long, tried to make (pursued) the trade, was unsuccesful, tried to cover and then finally admitted it cuz of the heat.

CoachChaz
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
If he said he didn't TRY to trade Jay then later admitted to Jay thet he did, that is lying.

If he told Peter King that he did PURSUE the trade after he said that he didn't, as stated in the article stated.
That, is a lie also.

Then again, we all believe what we want to believe.

I believe that he wanted Cassel all a long, tried to make (pursued) the trade, was unsuccesful, tried to cover and then finally admitted it cuz of the heat.

If that's the case, then I'm on board, but I dont know for sure and likely, none of us ever will.

DenverBronkHoes
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
coach.........

Convince me that Bowlen is not a scumbagg..........

NightTrainLayne
03-23-2009, 04:07 PM
coach.........

Convince me that Bowlen is not a scumbagg..........

Virtually veryone that's ever been a part of the Broncos organization speaks highly of him. What more do you need?

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM

NO I'm saying jay is a whiny let kid that feels threatened because the guy that held his hand last year is gone and he does like it..

His agent should have prepared him for the eventual possibility that if and when mikey was fired all of the hand holding could stop and he might get traded because as you stated it "If its a business its a business."

You treat your employees with dignity as adults and having this out in the press is not that dignified.

You talk to them one on one like adults, but jay has not availed himself to being an adult yet..

if sir jay has not figured out in his third year folks get traded then this has been a reality check.. If after seeing mickey fired and bates deciding on his own to leave that the only one that is not expendable is Pat then welcome to the big cruel world princess jay..

Y'all keep forgeting who added drama queen status to all of this.. it was not the Broncos..

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 04:46 PM
At least I know what time NOT to watch NFLN. I'm so tired of the attention this BS is taking away from the TEAM. Show me an update on how guys are doing in training or how we're healing from injuries.

hey that is the job of the local press right?

But NO lets go for the headlines first.. reporters rank down there with lawyers..

claymore
03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
NO I'm saying jay is a whiny let kid that feels threatened because the guy that held his hand last year is gone and he does like it..

His agent should have prepared him for the eventual possibility that if and when mikey was fired all of the hand holding could stop and he might get traded because as you stated it "If its a business its a business."

You treat your employees with dignity as adults and having this out in the press is not that dignified.

You talk to them one on one like adults, but jay has not availed himself to being an adult yet..

if sir jay has not figured out in his third year folks get traded then this has been a reality check.. If after seeing mickey fired and bates deciding on his own to leave that the only one that is not expendable is Pat then welcome to the big cruel world princess jay..

Y'all keep forgeting who added drama queen status to all of this.. it was not the Broncos..

No one knows who is right or wrong in this. All we know is that Jay didnt initiate the problem.

He thinks he was actively being shopped, and his best interests arent in the Broncos plans. He said he was hurt, shocked, and eventually asked for a trade.

He hasnt said anything unprofessional at all.

Calling Cutler a princess, a bitch, a whiner and a baby is ridiculous.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2009, 05:08 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11978718?source=rss

In an interview set to broadcast later today on the NFL Network, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he hopes to meet "face to face" with Jay Cutler, saying the relationship between coach and quarterback is "not irreparable."

The Denver Post's Mike Klis on Monday reported McDaniels recently tried to contact Cutler. But that attempt failed and Cutler did not respond. Still, McDaniels reiterated Cutler remains the Broncos' quarterback.

"He's our quarterback, we want him to be our quarterback," McDaniels told the network's Scott Hanson. "We made that very clear to him and we hope he feels the same way."

A transcript of the interview:

Scott Hanson: What's the latest on the Jay Cutler situation?

Josh McDaniels: We're working through that. Jay and I will have an opportunity to talk more as we go here. I know it's been a very public issue and this is something that I think happens more than people realize. We have a relationship, nobody knows where it stands right now, but it's going to get better. It will continue to get better, I believe that. I think it's something that both parties have to work toward a solid resolution. We have a good nucleus of players there that are looking forward to seeing him back at the facility and working with him. It will get to that point at some point in the near future.

Hanson: Do you see him as the quarterback of the Denver Broncos?

McDaniels: Yes. He's our quarterback.

Hanson: Present-tense...

McDaniels: He's our quarterback. Period.

Hanson: Future-tense? He will be your quarterback?

McDaniels: He's our quarterback. We can't predict the future. He's our quarterback, we want him to be our quarterback, we made that very clear to him and we hope he feels the same way.

Hanson: (Cutler) has asked for a trade and he says he wants to leave. He's still under contract with Denver, so is the door open in your mind for him to still be the (Broncos') quarterback?

McDaniels: Sure. Absolutely. He's under contract as you mentioned and we've made it clear that we want him to be back here (in Denver) and lead our football team.

Hanson: But your job is to make the football team as good as it can be, and that sometimes includes changing personnel. Is that still on the table? A trade?

McDaniels: Every decision we make is based on trying to do what's best for the football team in order for us to win and improve. That's always going to be the way that this job is. This was just a very highly-publicized situation that was brought to the forefront. (Cutler) is obviously one of our better players, our best players. He's a good leader and we're looking forward to having him back here with us.

Hanson: You really feel that the relationship is not irreparable?

McDaniels: I absolutely feel that it is not irreparable.

Hanson: Is it a lack of communication? Have you been able to put your finger on what's gone wrong so far?

McDaniels: It's just a situation that came up. I think there are some things out there that are not necessarily true, and there are some other things that are definitely true. We have to work through those things are make sure that the lines of communication stay open. I think that's the biggest thing, in terms of getting over any kind of an issue that a player may have with an organization or a coach. It's the same thing that (the organization) has to do when there is an issue with a player. We want to come directly to (the player) and work through it and communicate to find a common ground that we can start going forward and working toward a good resolution.

Hanson: What's not true? You stated that there were some things (in the situation with Cutler) that were not true. We can clear that up right now.

McDaniels: There are just things that I think have been out there that make for good stories. Was there something that occurred right at the beginning of free agency? Sure, there was. There were conversations and that's really where it kind of ends. There wasn't anything that came across (Pat) Bowlen's desk, there wasn't anything that we were trying to push hard to get through. It never even got to (Bowlen). Conversations were had and we've never denied that, but at the same time it's our job to look at every opportunity that we can to see if it's something that could improve our football team and that's what we were doing.

Hanson: You have talked to (Cutler) since then. There are reports of a conference call and a face-to-face meeting. Can you confirm that?

McDaniels: Yes, we have.

Hanson: Do you feel that Cutler understands where you and the franchise are coming from right now?

McDaniels: I hope so. We haven't held anything back. I think the big thing is that we need to continue to communicate and I'd love to have the opportunity to continue to meet with Cutler face-to-face. I think that's the best type of communication at this point to try to work toward a resolution.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 05:23 PM

do you think mikey got fired for "JUST" being 8-8.. ahahahahaha

Bueller Bueller this team has not been reloading as everyone seemed to brag about over the past 10 years it has been on a downward spiral since th HOF group retired..

When will Y'all open your eyes a look at the almost total lack of decent players on D.. We drafted almost nothing but offense since 1999.. Save 2005 when it was CB ville and 2007 when it was DL time..

Frankly if we get one starter out of that last wasted draft I'll be surprised..

This team has been circling the drain for 4-5 years.. and only the heroics of a few players kept it a decent level..

Mikey was a great coach offensively at a time.. Had he allowed a professional GM to come on board to run players and picking of coaches he would still be here and we would have had a couple more Lombardi's IMO..

But his ego would not allow it afterall he was the mastermind..

Almost every job I got when I was younger was because I was the fixer.. I was brought in to fix problem offices.. those that were over/under staffed.. Staffed with the wrong folks, not trained well or just thought showing up was enough.. I climbed the ladder over 20 years fixing locations till I got my last job the largest most complex location in the system.. and I fixed it..

I did that by cutting dead wood and not holding hands until I knew IF they were worth holding.. Figuring out the reason for the problems and dealing with them..

I totally understand what Josh has done here.. Figured out what the issues are an dealing with them:

talking to all employees and evaluating them..
getting rid of those not compatible with schemes that will be run..
cutting almost all of the defensive starters..
getting rid of all of the defensive coaching staff.
acquiring free agents to fill said openings..
signing staff to fill open slots. Coaches, training and FO..
getting rid of support staff that is not compatible..
listening to deals that will make the TEAM better..

not sure what else needs to be done but so far that has waht he has been trying to do..

If your "star" primadonna will not set down and talk to you the GM or the owner then something is wrong with the princesses..

not the other way around..

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Just taking a call???

Then Bowlen says he doesn't remember the conversation he and Jay had before he hired McD when he told Jay that the "O" was going to pretty much stay as is.

Those iare not good management skills and well over half the analysts don't think it is either.
It's just not a good way to go about something like this.

Is Cutler hurt and whinning about this? Sure he is. He's our QB by default as TD said. That sucks and so is the way this whole thing is being handled.

They are both at fault but to say McD did a great job with this is very incorrect IMO.
You can't blame Jay ONLY.

all of the articles I have seen state that he talked after I repeat AFTER he received very enticing offer from either DET or TPA..

No where that I have seen he has admitted to actively calling folks about trading him.. It was all repeat ALL someone else initiating the calls.. or as I stated receiving offers..

If the is the case then jay is totally responsible to fall that has happened. in fact even if it was jay had the responsibility of keeping in house by calling his boss or his boss (Pat) to find out what was going on instead of taking it to the press..

Sorry I'm a real chain of command type of guy..

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Jrwiz, he doesnt even want Cutler to live in Denver. :D

not if he is going to be a 12 year old princess that has to have someone hold his hand when talking to his boss.

Do you?

If he can be a rational adult and develop some huevos and talk to his boss and work it out like men then keep him he might turn out OK.. But almost everything I have seen since he has come to town leads me to believe that that will not happen.. he is to big a drama queen..

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DING,

DING,

DING,

Bingo

we have a winner..

broncobryce
03-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree, Jay is probably doing it for the cash. His backup will make 3 times as much as him this season.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
No one knows who is right or wrong in this. All we know is that Jay didnt initiate the problem.

He thinks he was actively being shopped, and his best interests arent in the Broncos plans. He said he was hurt, shocked, and eventually asked for a trade.

He hasnt said anything unprofessional at all.

Calling Cutler a princess, a bitch, a whiner and a baby is ridiculous.

what would you call him?

lets see un professional said well I have not heard him say anything..

but being unprofessional many things from last year.

Not taking your bosses calls not returning the owners calls. those are BIGGIES about being unprofessional.. not showing up as a leader for team meetings... I could probably go on but those should suffice for a logical person.. IMHO

After all he is being paid by them and he should be held responsible for his actions....

BTW I do not use the term bitch except when referring to a female dog in heat.. you must being confusing me with someone else.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Interview on this link:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/23/mcdaniels-wants-cutler-but-has-a-funny-way-of-showing-it/

NFL Network

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels sat down with NFL Network’s Scott Hanson for a one-on-one interview Monday and made the point that Jay Cutler was his quarterback. Period.

“He’s our quarterback,” McDaniels said. “We can’t predict the future. He’s our quarterback, we want him to be our quarterback, we made that very clear to him and we hope he feels the same way.”

During the interview that focused entirely on the Cutler situation, McDaniels does not deny that there were conversations about trading Cutler, but reiterated that those talks weren’t really serious — pointing to the fact nothing got to owner Pat Bowlen’s desk.

“Conversations were had and we’ve never denied that,” McDaniels said. “But at the same time it’s our job to look at every opportunity that we can to see if it’s something that could improve our football team and that’s what we were doing.”

Given that stance — that McDaniels and the Broncos will always look to improve the team — the first-time head was asked if a trade could still be on the table.

“Every decision we make is based on trying to do what’s best for the football team in order for us to win and improve,” McDaniels responded. “That’s always going to be the way that this job is. This was just a very highly-publicized situation that was brought to the forefront. (Cutler) is obviously one of our better players, our best players. He’s a good leader and we’re looking forward to having him back here with us.”

McDaniels went on to say he “absolutely” felt that his relationship with Cutler is not irreparable.

He also sounded comfortable in saying that Cutler understands where the franchise is coming from.

“I hope so,” McDaniels said. “We haven’t held anything back. I think the big thing is that we need to continue to communicate and I’d love to have the opportunity to continue to meet with Cutler face-to-face. I think that’s the best type of communication at this point to try to work toward a resolution.”

Watchthemiddle
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by turftoad
Just taking a call???

Um....I'm not Jim, but I have seemed to have missed the articles of McD saying he was actively trying to trade Cutler....:confused:

Could you PLEASE provide those for us?

All I can remember seeing is the ones stating the Broncos were contacted about trade possibilities. Call me crazy...maybe I have missed the ones where McD said he was actively trying to trade Cutler.

Oh, I must be a Cutler basher than because I missed those articles I guess. So, if you could ever so kindly provide those....so I can be more informed...that would be appreciated. It might TOTALLY change my view of this situation...:rolleyes:

turftoad
03-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Um....I'm not Jim, but I have seemed to have missed the articles of McD saying he was actively trying to trade Cutler....:confused:

Could you PLEASE provide those for us?

All I can remember seeing is the ones stating the Broncos were contacted about trade possibilities. Call me crazy...maybe I have missed the ones where McD said he was actively trying to trade Cutler.

Oh, I must be a Cutler basher than because I missed those articles I guess. So, if you could ever so kindly provide those....so I can be more informed...that would be appreciated. It might TOTALLY change my view of this situation...:rolleyes:

Check out post #54 in this thread and make of it what you will.

Watchthemiddle
03-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Check out post #54 in this thread and make of it what you will.

Ya, those tell me absolutely nothing.

Thanks though.

claymore
03-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry to be somewhat On topic, I know these threads are a free for all...

But, McDaniels handled all the questions pretty well. I felt he was honest for the most part.

I didnt like the comment on "is Jay Cutler the QB of the Future". McDaniels replied back "We cant see the future, but he is our QB today".

What a shitty way to convey your loyalty. As much as everyone is saying Cutler is a baby, can also say that Josh McDaniels communication skills, and people skills are terrible.

Holy crap, I really believe McD doesnt want Cutler here, seriously, he cannot be this bad at mending relationships can he?

If he doesnt get better, no way Cutler stays.

Watchthemiddle
03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry to be somewhat On topic, I know these threads are a free for all...

But, McDaniels handled all the questions pretty well. I felt he was honest for the most part.

I didnt like the comment on "is Jay Cutler the QB of the Future". McDaniels replied back "We cant see the future, but he is our QB today".

What a shitty way to convey your loyalty. As much as everyone is saying Cutler is a baby, can also say that Josh McDaniels communication skills, and people skills are terrible.

Holy crap, I really believe McD doesnt want Cutler here, seriously, he cannot be this bad at mending relationships can he?

If he doesnt get better, no way Cutler stays.

Clay, its kind of hard to mend relationships when the princess doesn't return phone calls to the owner and text messages from the HC.

I see one side trying and the other pouting.

In 1987, Montana had 31 touchdown passes, a career high, in just 13 games. In 1987, he also set the NFL record for most consecutive pass attempts without an incomplete pass. You know what happened after that....Walsh traded for Steve Young. There was serious talk about Montana being traded. Did Montana Cry...pout...ignore his owner and HC? Nope,...just went on to win Super Bowls.

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/services/popoff.aspx?categoryId=92&videoId=54840@kcnc.dayport.com&videoPlayStatus=true&videoStoryIds=54840@kcnc.dayport.com&videoTime=0.835&

anyone else see this video?

claymore
03-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Clay, its kind of hard to mend relationships when the princess doesn't return phone calls to the owner and text messages from the HC.

In 1987, Montana had 31 touchdown passes, a career high, in just 13 games. In 1987, he also set the NFL record for most consecutive pass attempts without an incomplete pass. You know what happened after that....Walsh traded for Steve Young. There was serious talk about Montana being traded. Did Montana Cry...pout...ignore his owner and HC? Nope,...just went on to win Super Bowls.

Yeah, but he flew to Denver in the middle of his vacation......

The Montana comparison has nothing to do with us unless you want to discuss Plummer's absolute total meltdown after we traded for Cutler.

MOtorboat
03-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, but he flew to Denver in the middle of his vacation......

The Montana comparison has nothing to do with us unless you want to discuss Plummer's absolute total meltdown after we traded for Cutler.

I know I'm going to regret this...but...

"Meltdown."?

He was all of 7-4 and poised for a playoff berth, yanked and since then we're 17-20...

DenBronx
03-23-2009, 07:32 PM

montana already won 2 super bowls with a team much better than the broncos. how can you even attempt to compare the two scenarios?

claymore
03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I know I'm going to regret this...but...

"Meltdown."?

He was all of 7-4 and poised for a playoff berth, yanked and since then we're 17-20...
I dont want to get into this argument, but also look at the points allowed by our defense at the beginning of the season. It was ridiculous low.

Plummer
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD INT SCK
16 11 175 317 55.2 1,994 6.3 11 13 18

Jay Cutler
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD INT SCK
5 5 81 137 59.1 1,001 7.3 9 5 13

BroncoJoe
03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I agree, Jay is probably doing it for the cash. His backup will make 3 times as much as him this season.

Been discussed, and debunked. Try again.

Jay's base salary is ~$1.3 million, with an opportunity to earn over $5 million in incentives.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

perhaps jay should have thought about that 3 years ago when he signed the contract or did his lawyer lie to him and tell him he would get a new one for this season..

actions have consequences.. time to pay the piper..

broncobryce
03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Been discussed, and debunked. Try again.

Jay's base salary is ~$1.3 million, with an opportunity to earn over $5 million in incentives.

Like they say in the business, its a business. Why earn 5 million in incentives when you can make 10mil+ per year. Jay made a business decision.

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Like they say in the business, its a business. Why earn 5 million in incentives when you can make 10mil+ per year. Jay made a business decision.

Since he is under contract, it could be alot less than 1.3 if he does not get his act together

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 12:37 PM
quick everyone race to this thread now..

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35807

so we can discuss the new development ad nauseam..

turftoad
03-24-2009, 12:39 PM
McDaniels Interview Hardly Convincing
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2009, 12:34 p.m.
On Monday, NFL.com made big waves by releasing a portion of the text from an interview of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, during which the first-year head coach (who looks barely old enough to buy a beer) claims that Jay Cutler is “our quarterback.”

The video and audio, however, don’t carry the same force. (You can take in either or both right here.)

Immediately after proclaiming that Cutler is “our quarterback,” McDaniels pauses and clears his throat in a manner suggesting to us that McDaniels doesn’t believe what he just said.

Our conclusion is bolstered by the fact that Scott Hanson of NFL Network thereafter tries to get McDaniels to make a far less equivocal proclamation that Cutler “definitely will continue to be our quarterback,” but McDaniels stopped short of removing all doubt.

Per NFL.com, McDaniels was mobbed by the media at the AFC coaches’ breakfast on Tuesday, where McDaniels reiterated the notion that Cutler is “on our team and he’s under contract. We are committed to him.”

But if McDaniels truly hopes to make it clear that Cutler will be the quarterback in 2009, then McDaniels needs to say loudly and clearly that it doesn’t matter if Cutler wants out — he is under contract AND he is expected to honor it AND we will not trade him under any circumstances.

While we continue to believe that the Broncos are hoping/praying that someone makes a solid offer for Cutler, we think that there’s one more chance for the two sides to work something out.

If Cutler shows up in the middle of next month for a mandatory minicamp, McDaniels finally will have a chance to talk to Cutler on a one-on-one basis, without agent Bus Cook leading the discussion or preventing McDaniels and Cutler from making a connection.

If McDaniels can’t get through to Cutler at that time, then they’ll have to move him, and they’ll have roughly a week until the draft to make it happen.

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
McDaniels Interview Hardly Convincing
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2009, 12:34 p.m.
On Monday, NFL.com made big waves by releasing a portion of the text from an interview of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, during which the first-year head coach (who looks barely old enough to buy a beer) claims that Jay Cutler is “our quarterback.”

The video and audio, however, don’t carry the same force. (You can take in either or both right here.)

Immediately after proclaiming that Cutler is “our quarterback,” McDaniels pauses and clears his throat in a manner suggesting to us that McDaniels doesn’t believe what he just said.

Our conclusion is bolstered by the fact that Scott Hanson of NFL Network thereafter tries to get McDaniels to make a far less equivocal proclamation that Cutler “definitely will continue to be our quarterback,” but McDaniels stopped short of removing all doubt.

Per NFL.com, McDaniels was mobbed by the media at the AFC coaches’ breakfast on Tuesday, where McDaniels reiterated the notion that Cutler is “on our team and he’s under contract. We are committed to him.”

But if McDaniels truly hopes to make it clear that Cutler will be the quarterback in 2009, then McDaniels needs to say loudly and clearly that it doesn’t matter if Cutler wants out — he is under contract AND he is expected to honor it AND we will not trade him under any circumstances.

While we continue to believe that the Broncos are hoping/praying that someone makes a solid offer for Cutler, we think that there’s one more chance for the two sides to work something out.

If Cutler shows up in the middle of next month for a mandatory minicamp, McDaniels finally will have a chance to talk to Cutler on a one-on-one basis, without agent Bus Cook leading the discussion or preventing McDaniels and Cutler from making a connection.

If McDaniels can’t get through to Cutler at that time, then they’ll have to move him, and they’ll have roughly a week until the draft to make it happen.

Lets hope jay will come in and have an open mind about all of this if not he is toast in DEN..

Josh IMHO has come as far as he is going to.. he has extended the olive branch as far as it is going to go in his NFL interview..

turftoad
03-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Lets hope jay will come in and have an open mind about all of this if not he is toast in DEN..

Josh IMHO has come as far as he is going to.. he has extended the olive branch as far as it is going to go in his NFL interview..

Yep, and like the article says he was "Hardly Convincing".

CoachChaz
03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Yep, and like the article says he was "Hardly Convincing".

Subtlety brother. Why stand in front of the media and beg a player to come back when you can take a safer approach and not make the organization look desperate.

Either way, Cutler will be under Casey's balls week 1. Bet on it

turftoad
03-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Subtlety brother. Why stand in front of the media and beg a player to come back when you can take a safer approach and not make the organization look desperate.

Either way, Cutler will be under Casey's balls week 1. Bet on it

I hope you're right Coach. :salute:

CoachChaz
03-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I hope you're right Coach. :salute:

I know I am. Regardless of what anyone thinks, I just cannot believe that McD and X cant see that they will never get fair value for Cutler. Maybe Cassell and something else might have been based on McD's familiarity, but that's gone now.

Anything else is a waste without guaranteed reward and I'm sure they know that or else a deal would have been made by now and McD wouldnt be saying the things he's saying.

On the flip side, I HIGHLY doubt that Cutler will decide to sit out. He can demand a trade all he wants, but Denver isn't going to give him away. regardless of the bad advice he's reeived thus far...I see him rescinding his trade demand and playing football in Denver.

turftoad
03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Not that this makes any diff but this poll is from a non bias football site that has nothing to do with the Broncos.

Just kind of an idea what the rest of the football world is thinking.
-------------------
Who do you support - Cutler vs McDaniels?

Jay Cutler [ 267 ] [62.09%]
Josh McDaniels [ 163 ] [37.91%]

Total of 455 votes thus far.

getlynched47
03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
It's both Cutler's and McDaniel's fault for this thing dragging on.

I'm glad to see McDaniels making an effort here, and now its Jay Cutler's turn.

EDIT: i tend to lean towards supporting Cutler though :)

Lonestar
03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Not that this makes any diff but this poll is from a non bias football site that has nothing to do with the Broncos.

Just kind of an idea what the rest of the football world is thinking.
-------------------
Who do you support - Cutler vs McDaniels?

Jay Cutler [ 267 ] [62.09%]
Josh McDaniels [ 163 ] [37.91%]

Total of 455 votes thus far.

would also guess that 60% of the real world would not know Josh if he walked up to him but they would know jay..

turftoad
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
would also guess that 60% of the real world would not know Josh if he walked up to him but they would know jay..

Doubt it JR. This has been in the national news for the last month. Anyone who follows football at all know whats going on. It is from a football site.

TXBRONC
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I know I am. Regardless of what anyone thinks, I just cannot believe that McD and X cant see that they will never get fair value for Cutler. Maybe Cassel and something else might have been based on McD's familiarity, but that's gone now.

Anything else is a waste without guaranteed reward and I'm sure they know that or else a deal would have been made by now and McD wouldn't be saying the things he's saying.

On the flip side, I HIGHLY doubt that Cutler will decide to sit out. He can demand a trade all he wants, but Denver isn't going to give him away. regardless of the bad advice he's received thus far...I see him rescinding his trade demand and playing football in Denver.

I said for sometime now that I don't think McDaniels is dumb because now whomever the starting quarterback is they have to start scratch in learning the system.

I agree Cutler wont sit out because that wont help situation and I think you're that there a strong possibility that Cutler will rescind his trade demand.

tubby
03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0324/20090324__mcdaniels~p1.jpg