PDA

View Full Version : Simms waiting in wings for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-22-2009, 06:33 PM
http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/03/22/simms-waiting-in-wings-for-broncos/

Quarterback Chris Simms, who signed a two-year contract with the Broncos, tells the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he intends to just keep doing his job — which could change from backup to starter soon — while the Jay Cutler drama plays out. “It’s the Denver Broncos, and it’s Jay Cutler, who is definitely one of the top-five best quarterbacks in the NFL. It’s deserving of the attention, but it’s maybe getting a little more attention than it should be, too. Who knows the real story?”

http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/1271931.html

Chris Simms signed with the Denver Broncos knowing he would be Jay Cutler’s backup. As things would have it, Simms could end up being the Broncos’ starter.

"It’s a crazy situation," Simms said in a telephone interview.

Cutler is upset with the Broncos and new coach Josh McDaniels and has requested a trade. Last Monday, the Broncos started their voluntary off-season workouts with Simms as their quarterback.

Simms said he hasn’t talked to Cutler since Simms signed a two-year, $6 million deal with the Broncos on March 5. The former University of Texas starter is getting his news about the Cutler situation the same way Broncos fans are.

"If you open the paper here in Denver, or turn on the radio, you definitely hear a lot about the whole situation and deservedly so," Simms said. "It’s the Denver Broncos, and it’s Jay Cutler, who is definitely one of the top-five best quarterbacks in the NFL. It’s deserving of the attention, but it’s maybe getting a little more attention than it should be, too. Who knows the real story?"

During the Broncos’ first team meeting Monday, McDaniels told the Broncos that he and management would deal with Cutler; players should take care of their jobs.

That’s what Simms intends to do.

He has played little since injuring his spleen in a Sept. 24, 2006, game against Carolina while he was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It wasn’t until last season when he was the third-string quarterback in Tennessee behind Kerry Collins and Vince Young that Simms finally felt like himself again.

Now, he intends to take advantage of every rep he can get while Cutler is away.

"Reps are definitely a good thing," Simms said. "Of course, that is exciting. For me, [Cutler not being there] doesn’t really change anything. I’m going to approach it the same way I always do — that’s just day by day and work hard every day. It doesn’t matter who’s here, just keep chipping away at the block. Then, everything will work out."

Simms considered staying in Tennessee, but his decision where to sign ultimately came down to two teams. The Cowboys, who traded for Jon Kitna, weren’t one of them.

"I was a little bit surprised," Simms said. "I thought maybe they would come after me, because I, like you, had heard all the rumors last year about them trying to trade for me and acquire me when I was still in Tampa. I understand their move completely. Jon Kitna is a guy who has been in that system before, and that’s the route they wanted to go, and good for them."

And good for Simms, who, after having so much bad luck in his career, could find himself the starter in Denver.

Italianmobstr7
03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Simms won't be our starter. Cutler will be the Broncos QB.

The buzz among insiders is that the Lions might not get a shot at Jay Cutler
by Tom Kowalski | Opinion
Sunday March 22, 2009, 6:36 PM

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Based strictly on the talk among league media and personnel types at the owners' meetings, it appears the Denver Broncos will continue their efforts to mend fences with disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler before they entertain any serious trade talks. The Detroit Lions are believed to be among 10 teams interested in dealing for Cutler. Those close to the situation say the Broncos are still trying to work out another meeting between Cutler and team officials.

broncobryce
03-22-2009, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Italianmobstr7;596200]Simms won't be our starter. Cutler will be the Broncos QB.

I agree 100 percent. Cutler is not going anywhere.

jrelway
03-22-2009, 07:51 PM
dont jinx it mofos!

TXBRONC
03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
dont jinx it mofos!

How do you jinx a fiasco?

broncofaninfla
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Even if Cutler isn't traded Simms is one injury away from being our starter. I'm happy we got him, he is an upgrade over Ramsey but proof will be in the pudding to see how he performs in McD's offense.

Shazam!
03-23-2009, 09:14 AM
One thing we all can probably say with a degree of certainty-

He is soaking in the new playbook and studying the offense and making rounds with Broncos staff and personnel while Cutler is sulking and pouting. I want a guy who is hungry and wants to win.

Flatinum
03-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Peter King doesn't see it either after being aroound the Owners meetings this past week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/index.html

Shazam!
03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
From the SI Article-

News Item: I don't see Jay Cutler getting traded.

That's my feeling after talking to the involved parties for a (insert shameless plug here) Sports Illustrated story this week. Now, I can't say with conviction that Cutler's going to be the Broncos' opening day starter, but I do think coach Josh McDaniels will exhaust every avenue to try to get Cutler to stay, and I do think nothing's going to happen here. Funny thing is, around the lobby and meeting rooms, I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler.

"Say you're the Broncos, and Tampa Bay offers you two ones [two first-round picks] plus [second-year quarterback] Josh Johnson for Cutler,'' one NFC coach told me. "Denver makes the deal and picks a quarterback with one of the ones. You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts too. Denver's problem is they could never get fair value for him.''

I called Charlie Weis, the Notre Dame coach and mentor of McDaniels, and asked what I considered the biggest question McDaniels must ask himself as he figures how far he'll go to keep Cutler: If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

"It's a rhetorical question, but it's one I definitely would ask,'' said Weis, who left the Patriots' for Notre Dame in 2005, ceding the offensive coordinator's role to McDaniels. "That thought would go through my mind. You've got to be able to coach a quarterback, and coach him hard. You don't want to start your relationship that way.

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision?''

Last week, the venom from the Cutler camp was so toxic I said I thought he'd have to be traded. But it was interesting here, listening to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speak to the body of league people (including McDaniels) and media here Sunday night. She talked at one point about how "history has a long arc,'' and how you have to take a long view of things. If you're always chasing the day's headlines, she said, you'll eventually become so reactionary that you'll ignore long-term good for short-term satisfaction, and you'll fail. I was thinking of McDaniels and Denver management. I think, like Rice used to do in the Middle East, the Broncos will exhaust all diplomatic means. And with agent Bus Cook on record as saying Cutler will report to mandatory mini-camps and training camp, why trade the guy, there's certainly no reason to do anything fast ... even if that means you don't have a definitive answer on Cutler by draft day.

getlynched47
03-23-2009, 10:52 AM
eff Chris Simms :coffee:

Shazam!
03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I HATE comments like that. The guy has a job all of us here can only DREAM about. Many of us would love to be the Broncos 3rd string anything, let a lone a backup QB and we would all do it for free. Add something constructive for a change.

getlynched47
03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
I HATE comments like that. The guy has a job all of us here can only DREAM about. Many of us would love to be the Broncos 3rd string anything, let a lone a backup QB and we would all do it for free. Add something constructive for a change.

eff Chris Simms then:coffee:

tomjonesrocks
03-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Has this been posted? My searches aren't finding it...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/index.html?eref=si_topstories

News Item: I don't see Jay Cutler getting traded.

That's my feeling after talking to the involved parties for a (insert shameless plug here) Sports Illustrated story this week. Now, I can't say with conviction Cutler's going to be the Broncos' opening-day starter, but I do think coach Josh McDaniels will exhaust every avenue to try to get Cutler to stay, and I do think nothing's going to happen here. Funny thing is, around the lobby and meeting rooms, I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler.

"Say you're the Broncos, and Tampa Bay offers you two ones [two first-round picks] plus [second-year quarterback] Josh Johnson for Cutler,'' one NFC coach told me. "Denver makes the deal and picks a quarterback with one of the ones. You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts, too. Denver's problem is they could never get fair value for him.''

I called Charlie Weis, the Notre Dame coach and mentor of McDaniels, and asked what I considered the biggest question McDaniels must ask himself as he figures how far he'll go to keep Cutler: If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

"It's a rhetorical question, but it's one I definitely would ask,'' said Weis, who left the Patriots' for Notre Dame in 2005, ceding the offensive coordinator's role to McDaniels. "That thought would go through my mind. You've got to be able to coach a quarterback, and coach him hard. You don't want to start your relationship that way.

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision?''

Last week, the venom from the Cutler camp was so toxic I said I thought he'd have to be traded. But it was interesting here, listening to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speak to the body of league people (including McDaniels) and media here Sunday night. She talked at one point about how "history has a long arc,'' and how you have to take a long view of things. If you're always chasing the day's headlines, she said, you'll eventually become so reactionary you'll ignore long-term good for short-term satisfaction, and you'll fail. I was thinking of McDaniels and Denver management. I think, like Rice used to do in the Middle East, the Broncos will exhaust all diplomatic means. And with agent Bus Cook on record as saying Cutler will report to mandatory mini-camps and training camp, why trade the guy, there's certainly no reason to do anything fast ... even if that means you don't have a definitive answer on Cutler by draft day.

tomjonesrocks
03-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I like this part:

"I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler."

dogfish
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
I like this part:

"I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler."

yea, that kinda jumps out at you, doesn't it?

Lonestar
03-23-2009, 09:16 PM
merged with previous article..

tomjonesrocks
03-24-2009, 01:43 AM
merged with previous article..

What does Peter King's Cutler predictions have to do with Simms? Makes no sense to me.

BroncoTech
03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I think Simms was a wasted pickup. It's been so long since I saw him play I forget why I was left with such a bad impression but my impression was this guy is washed up in the NFL. He may be better than Ramsey but that isn't saying much. I suppose now that we have a coach from 'back East' we'll start adding these strays that were team-less from back there.