PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen staying out of drama.

WARHORSE
03-22-2009, 04:16 AM
BOWLEN STAYING OUT OF DRAMA.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11968834
Fans want more from Pat Bowlen.
Come on, Pat. Get involved. Step in. Take a stand. Soothe the storm. Help the young head coach. Pacify the quarterback.
Where, oh where, rant passionate Broncos fans, is Pat Bowlen during McJaygate?

Let's say the public wins. Bowlen, the Broncos' owner, bows to pressure and gets in the middle of the rift between his new coach, Josh McDaniels, and his Pro Bowl quarterback, Jay Cutler. And let's say Bowlen succeeds in forging a peace settlement.

Has anyone thought about the possible repercussions of the owner solving disagreements between coaches and players?
Bowlen's approach in the Cutler drama is consistent with how he's run the Broncos since he bought the franchise 25 years ago Monday.

He oversees the organization; the head coach runs the team. And if one area bleeds into another, it's always about the team.
"I'm in the building and I'm in the room," Bowlen said. "But we have a young coach who is in charge of football operations and he's going to handle this.

If I can offer advice, I'll do that. But I'm not going to step on him in the middle of this thing. That would not be smart.
"This is his first big challenge and I'm definitely in his camp. He'll handle it."

Although McDaniels is only 32, Bowlen saw enough maturity, energy and wisdom to hire the New England Patriots offensive coordinator to replace Mike Shanahan as the Broncos' head coach on Jan. 11.
Dove Valley has been in a perpetual state of transition ever since. Shanahan had gained so much authority during his 14-year coaching era with the Broncos, he made unilateral decisions. Last year, Shanahan worked out a two-year contract extension with one of his assistant coaches. Nothing extraordinary there, except Bowlen wasn't notified until later.

Regaining control of his franchise is one reason Bowlen dismissed Shanahan on Dec. 31. Since then, Bowlen has rebuilt a system of checks and balances inside team headquarters. McDaniels reports to Bowlen, as does general manager Brian Xanders and chief operating officer Joe Ellis.
The proposed trade that would have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay and New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver? It never crossed Bowlen's desk, which McDaniels said should signify he never seriously considered making the deal.

Nevertheless, Cutler was stung when he heard about it. Under Shanahan, Cutler was treated as a franchise quarterback — but more than once the head coach tore into his talented, if undisciplined, quarterback behind closed doors.
Cutler, though, never felt like anything other than his team's most important player. Shanahan built his roster around his gifted passer. The Broncos' top two picks in the 2008 draft were an offensive tackle and wide receiver. Indeed, when Cutler went to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl six weeks ago, he paid for his rookie left tackle, Ryan Clady, and rookie receiver Eddie Royal to join him.

Six weeks ago? The Pro Bowl must seem like six months ago to Cutler fans.
When McDaniels arrived, he brought "Patriot Way" principles. The Patriot Way allows stars. (See Tom Brady and Randy Moss.) But the Patriot Way will go out of its way to remind Brady and Moss they are not bigger than the team.
Only McDaniels can reset the culture at Dove Valley as he wants it, and attempt to repair a fractured relationship with his quarterback without splintering the infrastructure of his roster.

It hasn't been easy. Some would call McDaniels-Cutler a feuding fiasco.
Bowlen understands that criticism, but has decided to observe, listen and discuss, and empower his young coach to handle it.
"Pat is fully engaged in the situation concerning the quarterback," Ellis said. "He converses with Josh and Brian on a daily basis."

The breakdown with McDaniels has caused Cutler to formally request a trade, a demand he made a week ago. At least 10 teams have called to express interest, and the Broncos are listening. They will arrive at the NFL meetings that start today in Dana Point, Calif., with the intention of holding on to Cutler, but keeping their options open if the coach-quarterback relationship is irreparable.

There was a time during this ordeal when Cutler wanted to speak directly to Bowlen. Fine, Bowlen said. Bowlen preferred to meet face to face in his Dove Valley office, but Cutler has been staying in Nashville, Tenn., where he starred at Vanderbilt. Bowlen arranged for Cutler to call him on March 7. Cutler never called.
Sure, there have been times when Bowlen wanted to tell management's side in this coach-quarterback dispute that has polarized Broncos Nation. But the controversy is so charged with emotion, nothing said publicly is taken at face value.
"He would prefer this get worked out privately, rather than in a dialogue with the media," Ellis said. "That said, he recognizes that our fans deserve an explanation, and he intends to give one. Once the issue reaches a resolution."

On Monday, Bowlen will celebrate his 25th anniversary as Broncos owner. The occasion will be marked by a series of league meetings in hotel conference rooms, and a quarterback drama hovering ominously over his franchise. As Bowlen deals with league matters, McDaniels will deal directly with the Cutler issue. However McJaygate plays out, Bowlen believes his coach will be the better for it.

WARHORSE
03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Yeah, he'll be the better for it.............unless he trades Cutler.

Then he'll be just another idiot.

Hope this gets resolved with Cutler still under center, and McDaniels a better headcoach.

I think we'll kick butt if they square up and get each others back.

omac
03-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Yeah, he'll be the better for it.............unless he trades Cutler.

Then he'll be just another idiot.

Hope this gets resolved with Cutler still under center, and McDaniels a better headcoach.

I think we'll kick butt if they square up and get each others back.

That's the bottom line isn't it? Jay doesn't feel McDaniels has his back. McDaniels has had opportunities to communicate this message to Jay, yet the message he keeps stressing instead is that anyone can be traded or released.

The headline of more than 10 teams being interested in Cutler was rumored to be leaked by the Broncos to start the Cutler trade auction. Cutler will not remain a Bronco for long. As the situation stands, a clean break may be a good thing both for McDaniels and Cutler. Neither will be able to trust the other anyway.

deacon
03-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I guarantee Bowlen is in the middle of it. There's no way he (or any good businessman) will sit by and watch this. He isn't going to say anything publically. That's just now how Bowlen operates. But I have no doubt he's meeting with McD on a regular basis and discussing it.

claymore
03-22-2009, 09:27 AM
I guarantee Bowlen is in the middle of it. There's no way he (or any good businessman) will sit by and watch this. He isn't going to say anything publically. That's just now how Bowlen operates. But I have no doubt he's meeting with McD on a regular basis and discussing it.
I agree, and the quote below proves it.

"Pat is fully engaged in the situation concerning the quarterback," Ellis said. "He converses with Josh and Brian on a daily basis."

elsid13
03-22-2009, 10:15 AM

The word "circle-jerk" comes to mind. Maybe Bowlen should pick up the phone and call Elway and Shanahan and ask them what they think. Sometimes it better to get outside view of the problem.

Superchop 7
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM
In the meantime, I'm in Texas and everyone is laughing at the stupidity of my team.

How low can it get when the soap opera Cowboys think "your" team needs to get it together.

claymore
03-22-2009, 10:47 AM
In the meantime, I'm in Texas and everyone is laughing at the stupidity of my team.

How low can it get when the soap opera Cowboys think "your" team needs to get it together.

Every NFL city outside of Denver is laughing. They think the Broncos are retarded.

spikerman
03-22-2009, 12:04 PM
My first thought was, "What happened to Mr. I'm in Charge?"

ChampWJ
03-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Asleep at the wheel

atwater27
03-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Bowlen will set this team back years if he doesn't at least try to mend this situation. And mending this situation does not mean backing McDaniels 100 percent and putting all of the blame on Cutler. I can mother****ing guarantee that will not work. Bank on it.

Lonestar
03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
When Y'all pony up a half a billion then I'll bet Pat wil listen. Till then let the billionare deal with it as he wishes.

He has money invested. And all Y'all worried about is looking bad. Hmmmmmmmm

Gamechanger
03-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Every NFL city outside of Denver is laughing. They think the Broncos are retarded.

not that the team is retarded, just that the new HC and Cutler are acting like a scene from Napoleon Dynamite

spikerman
03-22-2009, 08:03 PM
When Y'all pony up a half a billion then I'll bet Pat wil listen. Till then let the billionare deal with it as he wishes.

He has money invested. And all Y'all worried about is looking bad. Hmmmmmmmm
Personally, I'm more concerned with the owner of my favorite team seemingly sitting around with his thumb up his butt while the team unravels around him.

rcsodak
03-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Personally, I'm more concerned with the owner of my favorite team seemingly sitting around with his thumb up his butt while the team unravels around him.

Does anybody around here not work in a structured mgmt system?

Some owners of business like to see how their new acquisitions in mgmt fair, when they're 'under the gun'. To see if they can handle it. To test their meddle.
Bowlen OWNS this team. It's HIS money that is paying players/coaches/etc. I'd say he has the largest onus of anybody, when it comes to having a financially sound, and successful team.

Like it or not, this is how Mr Bowlen is operating HIS team.

So far, ya'll not liking his choices have been of your own accord.

"get rid of coyer" - he does, and the D tanks.
"get rid of bates" - he does, and the D tanks more.
"get rid of slowik" - he does, and the D <edit>???????.

"get rid of shanahan" - he does, and ya'll complain about his replacement.

Makes me happy as hell none of ya'll are in the FO running things. :rolleyes:

Just remember:::::: ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!

spikerman
03-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Does anybody around here not work in a structured mgmt system?

Some owners of business like to see how their new acquisitions in mgmt fair, when they're 'under the gun'. To see if they can handle it. To test their meddle.
Bowlen OWNS this team. It's HIS money that is paying players/coaches/etc. I'd say he has the largest onus of anybody, when it comes to having a financially sound, and successful team.

Like it or not, this is how Mr Bowlen is operating HIS team.

So far, ya'll not liking his choices have been of your own accord.

"get rid of coyer" - he does, and the D tanks.
"get rid of bates" - he does, and the D tanks more.
"get rid of slowik" - he does, and the D tanks more yet.

"get rid of shanahan" - he does, and ya'll complain about his replacement.

Makes me happy as hell none of ya'll are in the FO running things. :rolleyes:

Just remember:::::: ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!
Actually, I work in a VERY structured managment system. I just don't think I can remember a time that a supervisor declared himself or herself to be "in charge" and then made sure they stayed out of the first big problem that came up.

As for running the front office. I'm no genius, but I think most of us here could control things better than what's going on there now.

Shazam!
03-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Umm, the D hasn't tanked yet without Slowik RC, we're waiting to see the outcome.

Dreadnought
03-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Umm, the D hasn't tanked yet without Slowik RC, we're waiting to see the outcome.

Exactly. Had Shanny gone ahead and fired Slowick about 38 seconds after that San Diego embarrasment none of this would have happened. Thats the triggering event for this nightmare.

As far as structured management I've been in plenty of different ones. The worst, bar none, are the ones where some tough talking dingleberry comes in to "clean house." They usually get rid of both dead wood and good guys at random, then replace all of 'em with stooges and flunkies. I've always survived, but have watched people at least as good, maybe better, get the axe for no particular reason. That starts the process of internal rot all over again. Throw in suspicions of dishonesty or duplicity and it happens even faster.

Watchthemiddle
03-22-2009, 11:21 PM
How many players have rolled in and out of Dove Valley throughout Bowlen's ownership?

Exactly...if Cutler rolls on out, there will be someone else to roll right in, learn this high powered offense and Bowlen will continue to have sell outs for his team, the season ticket base will still have a 20 year wait list, and the Broncos will prevail.

Speaking of season ticket holders....I have heard on the radio and local news that some people are so disgusted they want to get rid of their tickets.

SIGN ME UP!!! Last I checked I was still like 19,876 on the list.

Thanks

NightTrainLayne
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
BOWLEN STAYING OUT OF DRAMA.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11968834

Nevertheless, Cutler was stung when he heard about it. Under Shanahan, Cutler was treated as a franchise quarterback — but more than once the head coach tore into his talented, if undisciplined, quarterback behind closed doors.

I wish some writer would expound on that statement. .. it's only to be expected that there might be a disagreement behind closed doors, but I'd sure be curious in light of the current situation what they were, and what they involved. Obviously, Shanny had a vested interest in working with the guy that he traded up to draft. . . Was he coddling Cutler all the while, or were these just "normal" disagreements?

rcsodak
03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Actually, I work in a VERY structured managment system. I just don't think I can remember a time that a supervisor declared himself or herself to be "in charge" and then made sure they stayed out of the first big problem that came up.

As for running the front office. I'm no genius, but I think most of us here could control things better than what's going on there now.

Well if that's the case, spike, let us know how the job interview goes....

...and we'll be sure to sit back in our easy chairs, grading your every move. :coffee:

I think Mr Bowlen IS showing he's in charge. The best way to do that is to sit back and watch what his new 'managers' do, and how they do it. He's made it perfectly clear for everybody that's paying attention, that he has final say in matters. Both Xanders and McD report to him!

And that's why the 'trade' didn't go forward, and they just listened, because McD never passed it on to Mr Bowlen.

Why ya'll want to throw stones when you couldn't sit in his chair without sliding out of it, is beyond me.

Sad, really. :tsk:

rcsodak
03-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Good catch, S! :laugh: