PDA

View Full Version : Backup veteran QB ?

Superchop 7
03-01-2012, 12:24 PM
My criteria was this.....a guy that has been a starter .....not too old.......is a good locker room guy that will accept his role as a backup. (despite having more talent). He must also be good with the media. The guy I came up with is Garard....I dont know if he and Del Rio are on good terms.....but he does fit the criteria well.

weazel
03-01-2012, 12:26 PM
kurt warner... or kurt russel even

vandammage13
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I heard Kyle Orton might be available.

Simple Jaded
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
What good does a veteran backup QB do? Then you're wasting 3 spots on QB's that aren't starters.......

weazel
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
seriously though, I like Charlie Batch. He has proven that he can come in at any time and run an offense with some success.

vandammage13
03-01-2012, 01:13 PM
What good does a veteran backup QB do? Then you're wasting 3 spots on QB's that aren't starters.......

Ideally, the Vet would be brought on along with another young QB that would have a legitimate shot to compete with Tebow.

The Vet isn't there to compete for the starting job, but is there to mentor Tebow and whatever other young QB they bring in to help them grow. The Vet would be able to play in a pinch, but ultimately, it is his job to help the young guys get better and learn how to prepare like a pro.

It would not be a waste of a spot to bring in a savvy guy like Garrard, Jake Delhomme, or Charlie Batch, even if they never play a down for us.

DenBronx
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Jason Campbell

/thread

MileHighCrew
03-01-2012, 01:26 PM
What about Matt Leinart. Maybe not as the only option. But he is mobile, left handed and probably cheap cause of Yates last year. Might be worth a look. If they are bringing in 2 other QB's there is limited risk.

weazel
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Jason Campbell

/thread

Jason Voorhees

SoCalImport
03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
What about Matt Leinart. Maybe not as the only option. But he is mobile, left handed and probably cheap cause of Yates last year. Might be worth a look. If they are bringing in 2 other QB's there is limited risk.

is he?

DenBronx
03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Jasons athletic, mobile, has a decent arm and has bad intentions for the raiders.

He also never causes locker room trouble. I think Jason would help Tebow out alot and if T2 ever got hurt I think Jason could come in and play like a #1 NFL QB.

Simple Jaded
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Ideally, the Vet would be brought on along with another young QB that would have a legitimate shot to compete with Tebow.

The Vet isn't there to compete for the starting job, but is there to mentor Tebow and whatever other young QB they bring in to help them grow. The Vet would be able to play in a pinch, but ultimately, it is his job to help the young guys get better and learn how to prepare like a pro.

It would not be a waste of a spot to bring in a savvy guy like Garrard, Jake Delhomme, or Charlie Batch, even if they never play a down for us.

No, he wouldn't, if that's the case then he'd be taking the roster spot of another QB that may or may not be the longterm answer. If you're gonna bring in a QB bring him in to start. Point of fact, Garrard, Delhomme and Batch could start for Denver, what sense does it make to bring him in and watch the starter throw 2-9?

You don't call a QB's agent and tell him "be happy with a backup/mentor role", you call and say "if your client can't play better than our QB did last year he should hang it up".......

vandammage13
03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
No, he wouldn't, if that's the case then he'd be taking the roster spot of another QB that may or may not be the longterm answer. If you're gonna bring in a QB bring him in to start. Point of fact, Garrard, Delhomme and Batch could start for Denver, what sense does it make to bring him in and watch the starter go 2-9?

You don't call a QB's agent and tell him "be happy with a backup/mentor role", you call and say "if your client can't play better than our QB did last year he should hang it up".......

Hmm...Well I know of plenty of instances of Vet QB's coming in for the sole purpose of mentoring the young QB's...Plenty of Vets are happy to collect a paycheck to help a young QB along (of course they would love the opportunity to play).

If you think that there are enough QB's in the NFL to go around that you can hope your 3rd stringer will come in and produce like a franchise QB, you are sadly mistaken.

It is a fact that most 3rd stringers are either developmental prospects or Veteran mentors that will never be counted on to contribute at that time outside of emergency situations...Very rarely do you have a hidden gem like Tom Brady or Kurt Warner riding the pine just needing a chance. Those are the exceptions, not the norm.

If you are down to your 3rd stringer, 99% of the time you are toast.

Ziggy
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Jason Campbell

/thread

Adam Schein✔
@AdamSchein

Campbell just laughed for 15 seconds when I asked him about signing with the Broncos via free agency.
http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2012/2/28/2831022/broncos-free-agency-2012-jason-campbell

Re-open thread

SOCALORADO.
03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Mark Brunnell. Lefty who would help TT as a mentor. Solid back up in a pinch.
Jake Delhomme. Fox guy who would know his place and be there in a pinch to play as well.
Both total team guys who could bring along TT and more importantly Osweiller.

Northman
03-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Shawn Moore.

slim
03-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Yeah, having backups is so overrated.

I really don't see why we need more than 22 players on the roster....well, 24 if you count punter and kicker.

topscribe
03-01-2012, 04:19 PM
My criteria was this.....a guy that has been a starter .....not too old.......is a good locker room guy that will accept his role as a backup. (despite having more talent). He must also be good with the media. The guy I came up with is Garard....I dont know if he and Del Rio are on good terms.....but he does fit the criteria well.

Fine. The guy should accept the backup role if he is actually beaten out in
a truly honest competition for the starting job.

If the guy is meekly going to come in and settle for backup from the get-go,
then I'm in agreement with Elway: I don't want him!

-----

Simple Jaded
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM

I really don't see why we need more than 22 players on the roster....well, 24 if you count punter and kicker.

That's is nowhere near what l said but having 3 backup QB's is obscenely overrated.......

topscribe
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM

I think he's talking about a designated backup who doesn't think he can
compete for the job. If that's the case, I'm in agreement with him . . .

-----

DenBronx
03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2012/2/28/2831022/broncos-free-agency-2012-jason-campbell

Re-open thread

Damn! This is a fresh article too. It's not like the guys going to start anywhere. No one is going to go after him as a starter.

I wonder if his feelings is that he wouldnt beat Tim for the job or if he saw how Orton was ran out of Denver?

OrangeHoof
03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Leinart does make some sense but I think he still hungers to start and I'm not sure he's exactly the type of mentor we want for Tebow since he wasn't taking his career seriously and took another year at USC principally to sow his oats with Hollywood starlets. He's more serious now and the Texans say he was a good locker room presence but he unfortunately got injured before he could prove he still could be starting material.

Personally, I'm still hoping for Dennis Dixon.

MOtorboat
03-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Jason Campbell

/thread

And when asked by a reporter about that he proceeded to laugh in his face.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355922

MOtorboat
03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm trying to figure out why any free agent associated with the passing game would sign with Denver.

Haven't really heard a good answer.

chazoe60
03-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm trying to figure out why any free agent associated with the passing game would sign with Denver.

$$$$$$$$$$

MOtorboat
03-01-2012, 11:59 PM
$$$$$$$$$$

Good luck with that.

topscribe
03-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Leinart does make some sense but I think he still hungers to start and I'm not sure he's exactly the type of mentor we want for Tebow since he wasn't taking his career seriously and took another year at USC principally to sow his oats with Hollywood starlets. He's more serious now and the Texans say he was a good locker room presence but he unfortunately got injured before he could prove he still could be starting material.

Personally, I'm still hoping for Dennis Dixon.

Are you saying you wouldn't want Leinart because he hungers to start?

I hope that's not what you're saying . . .

-----

DenBronx
03-02-2012, 04:48 AM

Cause our offense involves passing? :confused:

MileHighCrew
03-02-2012, 08:16 AM

-----

He is said to be a good locker room guy and he still hungers to play, ya I would be good with that. But I'm not sold on TT either....

Chef Zambini
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Damn! This is a fresh article too. It's not like the guys going to start anywhere. No one is going to go after him as a starter.

I wonder if his feelings is that he wouldnt beat Tim for the job or if he saw how Orton was ran out of Denver?BINOGO ! what campbell wants most is a stable O and a legitimate shot at EARNING the right to start!
he obviously sees that there is more thantalent, skill and ability at play in DENVER when it comes to the decision of who should be the starting QB !
YES, we NEED a vet, No he should not be exclusively a pine riding mentor, he shoulds COMPETE for the job, and have a level legitimate chance to win the start !
and YES we need to ALSO get a young QB to also push and compete with TT !
I consider campbell a guy like that or perhaps even MCCOY if cleveland gets rgIII !

Chef Zambini
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Personally, I'm still hoping for Dennis Dixon.LIENERT was a FARCE in AZ !
he had one exceptional MNF game against the BEARS, and he squandered his opportunity because he was still doing the hollywood thing!
he had no chance to outplay warner, so he essentialy quit and just went threw the motions.
NOW, however...
he has had a couple years with KUBIAK !
I guarantee that KUBIAK made him a professional NFL QB !
HE, LIENERT, can be the perfect shadow boxer for tebow !
I like Gerrard
and if he still wants to play, I also like MDnabb.

OrangeHoof
03-02-2012, 12:08 PM

-----

I'm saying Leinart is still focused on his own career, not supporting the team effort. That's the same thing we had with Brady Quinn, a guy who simply chafed about sitting on the bench and wondering why he wasn't the Golden Child anymore like he was at Notre Dame and, to a lesser extent, Cleveland.

A mentor is someone willing to give up their personal goals for the good of the team. It requires putting your ego in check and doing everything necessary to get the starter ready. Some QBs can do it. Others can't. I'm not certain Leinart can yet.

topscribe
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm saying Leinart is still focused on his own career, not supporting the team effort. That's the same thing we had with Brady Quinn, a guy who simply chafed about sitting on the bench and wondering why he wasn't the Golden Child anymore like he was at Notre Dame and, to a lesser extent, Cleveland.

A mentor is someone willing to give up their personal goals for the good of the team. It requires putting your ego in check and doing everything necessary to get the starter ready. Some QBs can do it. Others can't. I'm not certain Leinart can yet.

Well, I'm not concerned about that. I want a guy who wants to be a starter
and will fight like a rabid badger to get it.

I'm not sure where you got your information about Quinn, but that's neither
here nor there now. I just want competitors - fighters - on the team, those
who are bent on becoming starters. Anyone coming in with the idea simply
of taking his place on the bench can go somewhere else: He's a loser.

-----

NightTerror218
03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Brett Farve?

weazel
03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Brett Farve?

open fly jeans?

NightTerror218
03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
open fly jeans?

no jeans?

Superchop 7
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
There is no "I" in team.....if you dont give a crap about the guy next to you get the hell out. There is a difference between competing and egotistical divas. Gerard is a team first guy.....great attitude. Kubiak made a helluve name for himself because his head was on straight.

BroncoNut
03-02-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm not big on backup qbs. ask yourself why they are backups?

Npba900
03-02-2012, 10:50 PM
There is no "I" in team.....if you dont give a crap about the guy next to you get the hell out. There is a difference between competing and egotistical divas. Gerard is a team first guy.....great attitude. Kubiak made a helluve name for himself because his head was on straight.

There is "I" in WIN!:D When it comes down to the end of the day......JUST WIN BABY!!!!!!!

BroncoNut
03-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Well, I'm not concerned about that. I want a guy who wants to be a starter
and will fight like a rabid badger to get it.

I'm not sure where you got your information about Quinn, but that's neither
here nor there now. I just want competitors - fighters - on the team, those
who are bent on becoming starters. Anyone coming in with the idea simply
of taking his place on the bench can go somewhere else: He's a loser.

-----

I had this vision of Mickey in Rocky II eating grapes and talking up Rocky on the bag while reading this post. what was that actor's name again? He had kind of a neat name.

Canmore
03-03-2012, 01:26 AM
I had this vision of Mickey in Rocky II eating grapes and talking up Rocky on the bag while reading this post. what was that actor's name again? He had kind of a neat name.

Burgess Meredith.

Joel
03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
LIENERT was a FARCE in AZ !
he had one exceptional MNF game against the BEARS, and he squandered his opportunity because he was still doing the hollywood thing!
he had no chance to outplay warner, so he essentialy quit and just went threw the motions.
NOW, however...
he has had a couple years with KUBIAK !
I guarantee that KUBIAK made him a professional NFL QB !
HE, LIENERT, can be the perfect shadow boxer for tebow !
I like Gerrard
and if he still wants to play, I also like MDnabb.
I still like McNabb best, followed by Garrard. We wouldn't have to switch gears if Tebow got hurt and/or took a nose dive, and they could not only tell him how to transition from run-first to pass-first, but HOW. And while they may both still hunger to start, neither of them suffers from delusions they'll even be backups five years from now. We'd have some place to go and time to find a starter if Tebow fails, and a reliable backup and time to find a long term backup if he succeeds.

I like both those options, and, while the little I saw of Leinart does encourage my belief he's ready for the big time at last, that and my distaste for Schaub is why I want him to stay right where he is. The QB is the weak link on that team; with an upgrade the sky's the limit as long as they keep most of their roster intact. Seriously, I can't think of a single weak spot in their whole starting lineup (except punt returning! :tsk:)

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I still like McNabb best, followed by Garrard. We wouldn't have to switch gears if Tebow got hurt and/or took a nose dive, and they could not only tell him how to transition from run-first to pass-first, but HOW. And while they may both still hunger to start, neither of them suffers from delusions they'll even be backups five years from now. We'd have some place to go and time to find a starter if Tebow fails, and a reliable backup and time to find a long term backup if he succeeds.

I like both those options, and, while the little I saw of Leinart does encourage my belief he's ready for the big time at last, that and my distaste for Schaub is why I want him to stay right where he is. The QB is the weak link on that team; with an upgrade the sky's the limit as long as they keep most of their roster intact. Seriously, I can't think of a single weak spot in their whole starting lineup (except punt returning! :tsk:)ypour week link comment is exactly why rumors are spreading aboput MANNING going to HOUSTON !
if its not about money, and PM just goes to a team he WANTS, indoors,great receivers, a sharp offensive mind, a chance to face the colts 2 times a year...
HOUSTON might look very good to PM !
I hope he likes humidity and flies the size of buicks !

hotcarl
03-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie

Northman
03-03-2012, 10:55 AM
LMAO

Schaub is not a weak link on that team. hahahahahahaha

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 10:57 AM

I dont think lienert is the menter type either!
But I do think his time with KUBIAK has made him a better QB and a better teammate !
LIENERT is left handed, that works for our blocking schemes and running game.
LIENERT can push TEBOW to the bench !

Our FIRST priority caNNOT BE MENTORING TEBOW WHEN IT COMES TO SELECTING A VETERAN QB,
THATS THE COACHES JOB !!!!!

If we do select a vet QB who can also be a mentor, thats just icing on the cake !
when TT wants to surrender his virginity, LIENERT will be an outstanding hot tub mentor !

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I think shaub is a very capable QB.

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm not big on backup qbs. ask yourself why they are backups?
like brady,rogers, and warner ?
just sayin' ...

BroncoNut
03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
I dont think lienert is the menter type either!
But I do think his time with KUBIAK has made him a better QB and a better teammate !
LIENERT is left handed, that works for our blocking schemes and running game.
LIENERT can push TEBOW to the bench !

Our FIRST priority caNNOT BE MENTORING TEBOW WHEN IT COMES TO SELECTING A VETERAN QB,
THATS THE COACHES JOB !!!!!

If we do select a vet QB who can also be a mentor, thats just icing on the cake !
when TT wants to surrender his virginity, LIENERT will be an outstanding hot tub mentor !

I completely disagree with this foolhardy analysis. the arrogance that seeps from everyone of your posts is really getting on my nerves

Joel
03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
LMAO

Schaub is not a weak link on that team. hahahahahahaha
Did you see the Raiders game? The Texans were down 5 but drove to the Raiders 5 with 0:06 left. Schaub takes the snap and rolls left, where there's NOTHING between him and the end line but an acre of empty space, so he dances around... dance s'more... edges close to the line... dances s'more... sees a Raiders defender finally begin to realize Schaub can jog into the end zone and COMMITS—to a throw into the belly of a Raider defender who intercepts it in the end zone: GAME OVER!

Ask yourself how good Leinart looked as a sub till he got hurt before half time, and how good T.J. Yates looked from the moment he stepped in until he came up just short against one of the top defenses of the decade. Then ask yourself how much more Schaub adds to that equation; frankly, I have yet to see much. He's a classic game manager surrounded by more great WRs and TEs than I can list without checking, protected by one of the best lines in the game and complemented by a star runner and steady backup who finished just shy of as many rushing yards as us this season. Consider how many people say Tebow only looks good against bad defences, the staggering amount of talent surrounding Schaub and the fact the Texans never won more than 9 games until this season.

Houston may well be good enough to win a Super Bowl with a QB who merely fails to lose games rather than actively winning them, but they'll have to be to win with Schaub, because he is not a difference maker.

ypour week link comment is exactly why rumors are spreading aboput MANNING going to HOUSTON !
if its not about money, and PM just goes to a team he WANTS, indoors,great receivers, a sharp offensive mind, a chance to face the colts 2 times a year...
HOUSTON might look very good to PM !
I hope he likes humidity and flies the size of buicks !
Hadn't heard that, but I've been out of the loop since the SB. I would have mixed emotions, but if Manning's healthy, stays that way and has even a year or two left that could be frightening. He could also leave Houston two a very scary young starter AND backup QB when he drew even with Eli again and retired. The only fly I could see in that ointment is he and Kubes both have very detailed, complex and clear offensive visions that may not mesh. Apart from that, well, Manning would benefit from the stellar protection and horde of elite receivers he enjoyed throughout his career in Indy, plus a brutal running attack and smothering defence he never had.

I think shaub is a very capable QB.
I think you misspelled "barely." :tongue: