PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler lauded from 4 different perspectives

omac
03-22-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/2009_03_21_Jay_Cutler_lauded_from_4_different_pers pectives/srvc=home&position=recent

Jay Cutler lauded from 4 different perspectives
By Dan Pompei / Chicago Tribune
Saturday, March 21, 2009 - Added 15h ago

CHICAGO - What is Jay Cutler?

This much we know about the Broncos’ quarterback:

After he played at Vanderbilt with future Bears Chris Williams and Earl Bennett, the Broncos chose Cutler with the 11th pick of the 2006 draft. He was the third quarterback selected after Vince Young and Matt Leinart.

In three years, the Broncos have gone 20-17 in games Cutler has started. His career passer rating is 87.1. He has thrown 54 touchdowns to 37 interceptions and has completed 62.5 percent of his passes.

The 25-year-old stands 6 feet 3 inches and weighs 233 pounds. He ran a 4.77 40-yard dash at the 2006 combine, and did 23 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press.

To fill in the blanks about the quarterback who may be traded, the Tribune asked four men who have studied Cutler for their insight.

The general manager

Ted Sundquist drafted Cutler as the Broncos’ general manager. He since has been fired.

"From the standpoint of physical tools, he is about as good as I’ve seen," Sundquist said. "He’s athletic, big, strong, can make all the throws and has good feet. He can run. He’s ultra-competitive. If I were a general manager, I would jump all over him and not think twice."

The pro scout

This scout from an NFC team has spent hours watching Cutler and requested anonymity:

"He moves around good enough. He can throw on the move. He makes throws most can’t. ... The deep ball, he doesn’t always put enough air under. He struggles with touch throws at times. He can be a little lazy in his set. But he doesn’t always need to set his feet because his arm is so strong."

Asked about Cutler’s intangibles, the scout said, "His body language is not great. It makes you wonder how good a team guy he is.

"He has played with one of the worst defenses in the league. He has had to take chances. So I don’t put a lot of stock in his won-loss record or his interceptions. He definitely is a top 10 quarterback."

The opposing player

Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard came into the league the same year as Cutler, prepared for the combine with Cutler and has faced the Broncos six times.

"I don’t know if it’s right to compare him with Brett Favre, but he’s something like him," Pollard said. "He has a lot of swagger on the field. ... He’s definitely a talker. If he gets you, he’s going to let you know."

Asked what he needs to be concerned with when facing Cutler, he said, "Extending the play. He’s the kind of quarterback who is going to get away from linemen and linebackers. When he pulls down the ball and starts moving, he’s looking to go downfield. And he has the arm to do it. He has the legs to run like a chicken with his head cut off."

The analyst

Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, now a broadcaster for CBS, was assigned to three Broncos games last season.

"He’s one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league," Gannon said. "Is he a top five guy? Probably not. Would I hitch my horse to him and say let’s go ride? Hell, yeah.

"His arm strength is superior. He’s up there with the best with his ability to throw the ball and put it in tight places. He’s very accurate. ... He’s a little like Favre in that he takes some unnecessary risk. He can be overly aggressive and try to stick the ball in really tight spots."

Asked about Cutler’s intangibles, Gannon said, "He has the ability to get you out of bad plays, the ability to process a great deal of information each week, the toughness to withstand a 16-game season and the capacity to stand in front of the media, take a butt-kicking and say the right things."

Hawgdriver
03-22-2009, 02:39 AM
a fair assessment

bcbronc
03-22-2009, 03:37 AM
I hope Cutler and McDaniels can kiss and make up.

WARHORSE
03-22-2009, 03:46 AM
My assessment of Josh McDaniels so far:

The VILLAGE IDIOT.

My assessment of Josh McDaniels if he can manage his ego to understand that Cutler is not the guy you trade, and you bring him in and take him to the next level of play:

The MAN.